Milwaukee's Best Premium - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best PremiumMilwaukee's Best Premium

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Premium Alström Bros
3.47/5  rDev +90.7%

App: It has a pretty decnet head which goes to piss bubbles after some time but pretty decent ones at that. The color is a pale straw.

Smell: There's a mild,sweet smell with a hint of bitter.

Taste: Grain: it's a little more sweet than most cheap beers which is probably part of the fact that's it's owned by Miller.

Mouthfeel: It's pretty thin. It leaves a residue on the tongue.

Drinkability: It's a no brainer. It's just a good beer for relaxing and not thinking about it but rather hanging out with your friends.

1.9/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Yet another 40oz budget beer, sure why not. Pale yellow pour with a head that disappears quickly. Smells very faintly like corn syrup. Tastes a weak corn syrup flavor, slight citrus bitterness. Thin mouthfeel. Overall it's a cheap beer for a cheap buzz if that is what your looking for. Otherwise go elsewhere.

2.6/5  rDev +42.9%

I was helping Wcudwight paint and we sent my wife out with the instructions to bring back 12 of whatever was the cheapest. This was the winner only because they were out of PBR. Like any other macro, it smelled like a mash tub at a moonshine still. The color was light straw and little head. The taste was bearable cold. Mouthfeel was average for the style. Cold this beer really hit the spot when I was hot as hell. Not a beer to drink by a fireplace with snow on the ground. But a summertime work beer it is.

2.56/5  rDev +40.7%

I was painting my basement and needed a beer to work with. Hence "The Beast" was called. This was also my go to beer in highschool(because I could afford it), and I have not had it since I've been of age; so I stashed one away to review.
PALE straw color, almost a clear yellow. Decent highly carbonated head that disappears faster than a pair of rims at a Puff Daddy concert. Smells of canned corn, straw, and whole grain cereal. Some people might like that smell, I'm not one of them.
Taste is somewhat malty sweet, wet straw, and alcohol. How can I taste the alcohol in a 4.5% beer? Feels like water in the mouth.
It's drinkable when cold, unbearable when as it warms.
Overall The Beast has it's place in the world of beerdom.

2.33/5  rDev +28%

Poured a pale, clear yellow with a nice thick, foamy head. Aroma was faint malt with some hops and adjuncts. Not a whole lot of smell, really. Flavor was corn and malt. Light body with not much hop flavor or bitterness. Well balanced, but that was because there wasn't a whole lot of hops or malt. Had a bit of aftertaste. Not much mouthfeel other than it was watery. Not particularly drinkable, but not all that awful either.

Typical cheap beer. There are better choices in the category of inexpensive American lagers.

1.7/5  rDev -6.6%

I got handed a can of this recently at some hip L.E.S. event. I couldn't resist...

First off, there were no glasses, so I'm judging appearance by the thin stream I'm pouring out on the ground...nope. Looks like maize-colored water. It smells like ... can. I honestly can't smell anything. Just to test...yep I can smell my armpit, my nose is working [heh, this deodorant is still holding out well after a whole day. Should go buy some more of this.]

Taste is ... salty [you thought I was going to lick my armpit too for comparison? Sorry to disappoint. Actually, it might not have been a bad comparison.] There's a light sweetness too, like watery corn mash and dull hops. A bit peppery, no aftertaste at least. Goes down easy despite the badness, but why am I drinking this? After these few sips I want to throw it away, but people might see me, and it was free...am I being a jerk if I toss it? Who cares. Hey, they have Rolling Rock too, after the best Milwaukee has to offer (tm) this doesn't sound so bad...

3.81/5  rDev +109.3%

Beast is not as bad as people think it is. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it has to be bad. I enjoy the taste of Milwaukee's best, but hate that my friends are always giving me crap about drinking it. It tastes similar to MGD just not as smooth. It's really not a bad beer. It has a good color for a lager. I laugh when i see people say this color is pale like it's a bad thing. Lagers are supposed to have a pale color, look for richness :). I would pay more than I do for a beer of this quality. Not that it's the best beer, but for what it's trying to be, it is excellent.

1.6/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

A glass poured from a 40 oz bottle:

A pale yellow beer with a head that disappears almost immediately. It has big bubbles of carbonation.

It has a sharp, unplesant odor.

The taste is coarse and reminds me of chewing on wet paper. Behind the wet paper taste there is an almost cloying sweetness. Not very appealing.

The mouthfeel is slick. The beer seems to have lost its carbonation very quickly giving it a very watery body.

The drinkability of this cheapo beer is pretty low. High Life is almost the same price, and tastes ten times better. This stuff isn't even worth the $1.59 I paid for it.

2.95/5  rDev +62.1%

A - Clear straw, big head that falls fast with no lacing. Can says "33% more". Woo. Lots of bubbling - looks lively.

S - Clean nose with some grain and I think I smell some hops. Maybe some faint citrus.

T - Nope. Seriously though, there's a touch of bitterness and lemon.

M - Thin of course, as expected. Dry with a crisp biting carbonation that leaves quickly. Slightly astringent.

D - Not bad actually. Much better than I expected. Not a tasty beer by any means mind you, but there aren't a lot of off flavours or anything.

1.63/5  rDev -10.4%

I'm embarrassed to admit, but this is the beer that started it all for me. During my high school years this was the beer of choice for me and my friends. $1.99 for a six pack and a package store that didn't bother to card 16 and 17 year olds was heaven for us back in the mid-80's. I decided to try this for the first time in many years and try to capture some of that nostalgia. The beer poured a very pale yellow color with a large head that went away quickly. I purposely gave it a vigorous pour. Smell was of corn, vegetable matter and adjuncts. Pretty lousy. Taste was equally lousy, very watery with no body or flavor other than a strong adjunct(veggie?) taste. No hop flavor detected and I could barely taste any trace of malt. How did I stomach this stuff for so many years and in so much quantity? Never again! Lord help me!

1.91/5  rDev +4.9%

This was a forty ounce beer drank from the bottle. No sign of any bottling or best by dating.

Appearance: Well it was originally served from the bottle and then I poured it into a glass. The beer was very carbonated. The beer was essentially fizzy clear pale yellow colored with a thin white head. The head quickly resolved itself.

Smell: The beer was very astringent smelling with a grain smell.

Taste: The beer has a mostly corn taste. There is a very minimal amount of malt and hops to the beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is very thin and watery. The beer maintained its drinkability as long as the beer was cold. A very difficult beer to suck down.

1.65/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance - Pale yellow with about an inch of foam, along with carbonation bubbles.

Smell - Skunky.

Taste - Watered down, lots of skunk.

Drinkability - Gave me a headache and a hangover afterwards. Spend a few bucks more and get some Bud/Natty Lite instead.

2.07/5  rDev +13.7%

If this is Milwaukee's Best, I fear what they produce in that city that is not their 'Best'. Anyhow, not a disgusting beer, but not that good either.

Color wasn't that bad, yellowish light gold color, with a very small head that evaporated about as fast as my enthusiasm for this beer. Smell was a little skunky and kinda veggie like. Taste was not very distinct, watery and plain, and nothing redeeming. This is definitely towards the bottom of the barrel of ultra cheap mass produced American lagers.

1.38/5  rDev -24.2%

A = no idea, it was in a can, but I am imagining it is unimpressive

S = smelled skunky

T = tasted like typical watered down american marco beer with a skunky flavor

M = watery and light

D = I made it through one of these and stopped. This beer is purely for the frugal drinker wanting to catch a buzz. I won't drink this crap anymore.

2.86/5  rDev +57.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

I actually serve this as my beer of choice for the no brainer party beer. Most of my party guests wonldn't appreciate a Troeg's Nut Brown or a Stoudt's Gold.

Crisp, highly carbonated in the glass. Medium head, that lasts longer than most mass produced macro brews. Average lace.

Malt nose with corn adjunct backbone that becomes more noticeable as it warms. Smooth drinking and fizzy, slightly bitter with corn sweetness, but hoppier than other macros.

Smooth and a no brainer. A very inexpensive brew and good quality for the price if all you desire is a watered down beer to serve at a backyard BBQ. Goes well with ribs and rich foods.

1.93/5  rDev +6%

In a moment of questionable judgement late on New Year's Eve- early New Year's Day I found this in the back of my friend's semi-functional fridge. I know they don't want you to review beers if you were excessively inebriated at the time you drank it, but that can only help this beer, and no one's gonna run out and serve this next to some rare micro Lambic brew on a special occaision if I rate it kind of terrible instead of godawful. Anyway here's the dirt on "The Beast":

Appearance is a sort of light watered down yellow. Not neon bright like Bud, more an off-yellow. Like Highlife only watered down. Smell wasn't too good. I'm not sure exaclty what I smelled but it wasn't really beer. There was alcohol in there, that's the only scent I could identify. Taste wasn't too great either. Thin, sickly sweet, plus you can definately taste the can. No hop character at all, but considering the hops a beer of this price must use that can only be a good thing. And something else, not quite sure what. Not much of the bitter chemical kind of adjunct I found with Bud or Highlife, but there's something else a little off in this beer. Like the yeast was sick and stunted or something.(or maybe that was the missing hop character) Anyway mouthfeel was definately overcarbonated. Drinkability could have been worse, I didn't have to supress the urge to gag or anything. But even like 18 assorted beers, shots and mixed drinks in the hole this didn't make me want another.(and that's really saying something. Anything less than completely terrible is usually delicious once I'm that "acclimated") Having finished this beer, I popped open a cold Budwieser afterwards, thereby continuing my string of bad drink decisions. But that was actually worse by a lot. This beer seems to be not very beerlike but only moderately offensive. The Bud, being Bud, is actually a little more beerlike but definately tasted worse. Now somehow this rating worked out to better than Coors Light. Don't believe that. I don't consider Coors Light good for much of anything, but if it comes down to "The Silver Bullet" and "The Beast", and you can't do the intelligent thing and get yourself a water or something, Coors Light is probably a better idea.

1.8/5  rDev -1.1%

Well, this is my first review and I chosen the beer I have drank the most of.

Being a poor college student, the sheer quantity of this beer available for the price is staggering. The local super markets sell it at $8.99 a 30 block. This breaks down to roughly 30 cents a beer, the best price to drunk ratio I have ever seen! I challenge anyone to find a better deal.

The appearance is very urine-like, and that quality doesn't change when you move onto the taste or the smell. Given the above facts, this beer (or should I even call it that) really shines through at the times where you reach in your pocket only to find a couple bills plus some change. If you are looking to get plastered this is your beer… anything less is just vile torture to your stomach.

2.83/5  rDev +55.5%

poured a pale yellow color with a nice white head. Rapidly fell to only a thin ring. Smell is minimal with maybe a slight sweetish note. Taste is very light, but not offensive. Finish is thirst quenching, but no malt or hop taste to be found. Acceptable as a cheap spacer.

1.83/5  rDev +0.5%

My brother, an unconverted (and unapologetic) macro-lover, had this beer on tap in his basement recently. I have to admit that I drank way too much of this brand in college, and this was the first taste of the stuff in years. It’s a light straw color with very little head. Serious corn in the aroma. Also in the smell are a very weak hop scent and a fleeting whiff of alcohol. The up-front sweetness was more intense than I recalled from way-back-when. The body is very watery, and utterly unsatisfying. It’s a weak and hollow brew, no question about it.

1.33/5  rDev -26.9%

A rancid work of the devil. This pours a very clear straw color with a airy as hell head that leaves you quickly. Smells like metal and chemical ass. The taste is hoppy but not good hoppy. Nasty carbonated iron hoppy. Aftertaste of acid. Milwaukee's best ice is the way to go. It is just as cheap, gets you drunk a little faster and tastes allright. Why do they make this? It is so painful. Not drinkable in any situation.

3.63/5  rDev +99.5%

Really strange, not as annoying as other beers from this brewery, but at least was dinkable. Almost green the liquid, like in those macro lagers around, but even more remarkable. Little foam, and no additives that hard. Extrange can for being one of MIlwaukee familly, you know what I mean.

3.22/5  rDev +76.9%

"a beer made for the men", i try this beer in summer 2005, and is good, over the counterpart of AB brewery; is rich in flavor, best in general like its name, smell hops flower and broiled corn, taste little bitter and full of plenty, clear yewlow color, dry malts, try with mexican food and bbq, friends reunion; serve in a glass mug; 91% recommended.

1.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Can provided amid a bunch of stuff given to me for volunteering at 2005 GABF. Uhm, thanks guys, I really appreciate the opportunity. Stamp on the bottom of the can reads 12255 E11889. Pours a 1 1/2 finger white head that settles really fast. The beer is clear and light straw in color. Smells almost like water. Very weak iron, honey, and cardboard. Tastes...not so good. The malt sweet is mild and I think there is a soured grain character in there. Hop flavor is strong (compared to the strength of other flavors in this beer). It comes across as dark and oily and doesn't mix well with the overly strong carbonation. Upon the swallow there is a nice melon sweetness rounding about naer the tonsils. The aftertaste is acrid carb on the tongue and iron-ish malt cat-fighting with the hops. Light body and I'm glad this review is over. I drank a MBest Light just before this beer and think the Light version is much better than the regular. I guess it may be that the flavors in the Light are so subdued that they can't be offensive.

1.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a very clear pale straw. One finger head has about a 30 second lifespan, and no trace of lacing. Corn and grain aroma that doesnt hide the sweet estery alcohol smell. The same adjuncts make up most of the flavor, with a mild alcoholic bite, and no sign of hops. The lightish body and heavy carbonation fail to buffer the taste of harsh alcohol and adjuncts. Astringent and tangy sweet finish. For casual drinking on a budget, the "Ice" or "light" versions of Milwaukee's best are far superior, but that still not saying much.

1.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Aah it's a beaut. A true camper's beer. Would compete for the smash-the-can-on-your-head award. Unlike most beers, you have to drink at least four of them to decern any flavors at all. A powdery corn-like flavors. Some other vegetable and grain characteristics, but in too low of detection to identify. Quite metalic in taste and feel. Overcarbonate equals sandpaper on the toung. Light hop detection aids in drying and leaves the mouth void of flavor or body. I like this beer--It makes me appreciate other beers.

Milwaukee's Best Premium from Miller Brewing Co.