Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

Ratings: 1,134 | Reviews: 364
Reviews by drt72:
3.29/5  rDev +62.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was surprised by this beer. I picked up a 6 pack of 12 oz cans from a gas station in Northern Vermont. It's not available where I live, so it's my first try. Not groundbreaking, but... this is by no means 'awful' beer. It's surprisingly clean, more so than your PBR or High Life, both of which I like. The flavor is smooth and pleasant, I bet it's great on a hot day. It can't really be picked apart too much though.

It's not trendy, nuanced, or lovingly crafted. Don't let it warm up and drink it from a snifter. But for what it is, I think it's great and I'll buy it again, particularly at <$5 for a sixer. If you enjoy AAL, give it a try- it's a good one.
We're here to respect beer, so let's not call things awful that are simply out of fashion.

1.03/5  rDev -49.3%

A terrible beer. It's my Grandfather's favorite, and I've had more of these than I care to admit

3.08/5  rDev +51.7%

The beer is amazingly clear with a white head. Clean aroma with a strong corn character. Some grainiess and a bit of yeast. Very simple flavor as well. No hop character or anything, but a clean flavor and moderate sweetness. Better than I had remembered.

1.26/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

looks like piss

Smells sweet and citrusy. Acidic.

Taste: like stale saltine crackers and bile

Feels like I threw up and havent gotten the taste out of my mouth yet

2.73/5  rDev +34.5%

Appearance – Plain, yellow body but a nice head that foamed up easily and left a touch of lacing.

Smell – Not much on the nose here. – mostly corn and vodka.

Taste – It tastes better than it smells. There’s actually some body to this brew although I’d still consider it “light.” The grain has a little malt flavor in it, and the alcohol let’s you know it’s not 3.2 beer (does that take anybody back?).

Mouthfeel – The carbonation makes this one interesting, and the slight alcohol sting on the cheek lets you know there’s an ABV over 4.

Drinkability – I was ready to gag on this one (I had never tried it prior to this tasting), but was pleasantly surprised. Nice effort for the style (American ice lager).

2.41/5  rDev +18.7%

IceHouse by Miller Brewing Co., 5.5% alcohol ice beer. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pours a crystal clear urine yellow fluid that caps a one inch head falling to a decent froth leaving ultra light lacing not bad for a AAL.

S- Harsh cereal grains, alcohol, and tangy metallic scents are all there is.

T-M- Taste is raw with the corn adjuncts giving a hell of a bite upfront. As I begin to taste the real beer I note a faint sweet malty tinge with a dead bitter hop note. Metallic corn, cereal grain sweetness, and a mild hop bite is all i get in a meld of mess. Mouthfeel is so so with a slightly high carbonation and water like feel.

O- Good drinking beer for mass quantities but not alway tolarable.

2.51/5  rDev +23.6%

I was in a cheep beer mood tonight so I tried some "classics". Icehouse poures a little darker than straw color with a decent white head that left a little lace down my glass. The smell was quite astringent with grain and alchohol dominating the scent. The flavor was not much to brag about either. The grain was overpowering and not balanced at all, the aftertaste of alchohol was not plesent and the lack of any bittering agent was sorely missed. But what can you expect from $1.25 a 24oz can? Average for the style at best.

3.42/5  rDev +68.5%

This is a good beer overall, one of millers better. nothing amazingly special about it but it has a deep enough taste to be a beer drinkers beer, yet not quite as powerful as some other beers. Easy to drink, goes down pretty smoth, not a bad aftertaste. not as watered down as some say, not as filling as some say either, in the middle between ultra dark and ultra water, descent balance.

2.59/5  rDev +27.6%

Presentation: 12 oz blue lined can with a picture of an old time rural brewery. Don’t be fooled by the Plank Road Brewery bs this is a Miller product. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pale strawish golden colour with the clarity that comes with all ultra filtered American macro lagers, tight but thin white lace stays for a few minutes.

Smell: Very clean with a faint whiff of alcohol, corn and grain.

Taste: Crisp yet the brew yields a smoothness also that adds to the drinkability slightly. Perfumy alcohol rushes through the mouth and out the nose, ghost like hop profile donning a bitterness that cuts and a trace of leaf flavour middle to end. Malt is their but in a pale and thin form with several cereal grain monkeys riding its back. Some sweetness in the back but dries up in the end.

Notes: A half decent macro lager and for ice beer it is not half bad. Nothing to really talk about, just a clean ice beer to drink if you are into ice beers. No point really, you may as well drink malt liquor.

2.29/5  rDev +12.8%

The appearance is just like any other tasteless Busch beer, the smell is horrible and the taste is like drinking beer that has gone bad for like ten years. overall this beer tastes like dirt mixed with carbonated water. It seems like it was only brewed for underage drinkers and homeless people who just want to get drunk. PLEASE AVOID THIS BEER. Sam Adams and Fat Tire is where it is at!!!

1.06/5  rDev -47.8%

I have never forgiven Miller for inflicting this beer upon me throughout college. Bright gold pour, oily, with a white head. Chemical sweet mix of corn, nail polish remover, and sweetener. Taste is a disaster of corny, metallic pee with some sugar mixed in to "ice" it. The only thing worse than drinking it is the hangover. WORST. BEER. EVER.

2.97/5  rDev +46.3%

Poured into a nonic glass from a brown long neck bottle with a twist -off cap. Somebody left a sixer of this beer in my fridge don't know why. Figured I give this Marco a review,just to keep it honest.

Clear,pale golden color with a tall creamy white head falling quickly to just a coating,some bits of lacing with some large carbination bubbles rising to the surface, not flat looking like lots of Macros.

Sweet,doughy aroma,grainy/grassy some fruittyness clean and fresh has somewhat of a malt licquior aroma

Clean taste grainy/corn taste,slightly tart with some fruittyness,no offensive tastes like some AB beers. Finishes clean,tart with a light bitterness and a very slight alcohol tinge.

Tangy,grainy mouthfeel with some slight cloying. Not a beer I would buy,but no too bad for a Macro. Used to buy this a lot when it first came out,probably because of the 5.5% and the 6% limit in WV. The things we did when we were young. Still drinkable just couldn't drink lots of these. Wouldn't turn one down if I was thirsty nothing offensive here just not a beer that fits in my fridge.

2.78/5  rDev +36.9%

Had one of these last week. Served in a 16 ounce tallboy. Wife made me go cheap at the supermarket, so I chose this instead of the usual BMC offerings. Not much to write home about, but decent, if you gotta drink it.

Appearance: Ultra light, pale, almost platinum with a smallish head and decent retention throughout.

Smell: cooked grains, trace hoppiness.

Taste: carbonated water, with hops and light malt thrown in. unremarkable.

Mouthfeel: Light and quickly fading.

Drinkability: Decent. Nothing exciting, just an easy ultra-light American lager.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

When I was new to the world of alcoholic beverages. Which was around the age of 21. This used to be my go to beer. I liked the price and the lightly sweet corn flavor of it. For whatever reason I stopped drinking Icehouse and forgot about it. Now about two-three years later, I've picked up a bottled six pack and am about to try it again.

Ok, it pores a cheap looking amber mixture. There is quite a bit of thin white foam developing. Smelling it, it's got a lightly sweet and bitter corn smell to it. It smells just slightly better than a cheap malt liquor. The taste has is fairly bad. There is a lot of corn flavor with a light slightly spicy hop finish. Not very desirable or refreshing.

Overall, I'd give this a D. It's a step above a Malt Liquor of some kind, but you'd probably be better off sticking to a malt liquor than this stuff.

2.91/5  rDev +43.3%

Only for when an ice cold beer will do and you don't want to think about it.

2.06/5  rDev +1.5%

Got a 6 of this as a Xmas gag gift. I figured I might as well review it to sharpen my tasting skills, as there probably wouldn't be a lot to taste. Pours straw colored with a miniscule head that quickly disappears. Smells of seltzer and a little grain. Hits the tongue with a seltzer taste, then a hint of malt mixed with a taste that reminds me of the aroma from the grain we feed our horses. Upon swallowing, ALL taste disappears! Feels like I just had a sip of water. Not even a good lawnmower beer for the summer months. I will throw it in the back of the fridge for non-beery houseguests. This is still the cleanest tasting, least objectionable Miller product I've ever tasted (not that that happens often; certainly won't anytime soon).

1.89/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

A kind of dark yellow beer. Aroma is revolting. Wet wood and vomit.

Tough to get down tastewise with something that smells awful. Alcohol is there, not much else, maybe some ample carbonation if you're into that kind of thing. It is kinda heavy for an adjunct lager. Don't look for any hops. At least some beers just taste like water, this tastes like bad water and alcohol. Pass.

2.35/5  rDev +15.8%

Clear yellow look, adjunct foam head of little duration. Laces in slight rings, about 3 incomplete circles. Slightly petroleum aroma, sweet with a slightest bit of far off oil and gas mix for a two cycle engine. Flavor is slightly unusual, sweet in an antifreeze sense, grainy and rolling across the mid palete. Finishes relatively dryer (tight and arid hops) than the start, a slight nod to complexity. Reminds me of the old Pig's Eye Ice, not tasteless, a little different, but not much of a beer for my preferences

1.8/5  rDev -11.3%

On sale 22oz. for $0.70 I couldn't pass one up, but now for appearance: Pours a crystal clear yellow fizzy tone with a bubbly white decent sized head only after a vigorous pour, lacing speckled and thin.
Aroma: Definite corn and rice approach to their malt profile sweet and slightly alcohol ridden after freezing the initial beer they filter out the ice here and what's left is a concentrated version of shit beer. Mouthfeel is thin but overcarbonated and nothing calling out to me. Drinkability: Not a beer I would chill with daily but it goes down easy and would get you crunked up, however if you like beer don't try this one.

1.93/5  rDev -4.9%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body with a very light hue of pale yellow with a strong carbonation of big bubbles. The head is a pure snow white with big bubbles pushing through and it fades to a thin ring after a bit.

S- This beer has a very clean smell with a pale sulfury raw grain note with a hint of field corn as it warms. There is a dry hop bitter smell that has no depth and reminds me of what a hop extract might smell like.

T- This beer has a sulfury dry hop bitter flavor that is combined with a carbonic acid finish. There is a very light dry pale malt hint that comes through in the beginning of the taste.

M- This beer has a very light fizzy mouthfeel with a watery texture.

D- This beer has a combo of sulfury dry hops and lots of fizz that is just not very appealing. The fizz is the strongest player in this beer not the malt or the hops.

2.43/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured a pale yellow color with little to no head on it. Smell is pretty faint, maybe some grain - not a lot to speak of. Taste is not good but not too bad. Again not a lot of flavor, but it doesn't taste like ass. Just a bit of malt flavor and some grains coming through. Very light mouthfeel, goes down pretty easy. There are definitely worse beers out there. This was not as bad as I expected. It's pretty cheap, so if you're looking to get drunk, this would get the job done.

2.19/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The head is surprisingly large and creamy when it settles. Retention is also surprisingly good for an adjunct, and when it settles further it's pretty rocky. It ultimately sticks around as a thick foam, and it only leaves some spotty lacing except for a thick ring at the top when it sits in the glass for a minute. It's not impressive for a beer, but it is for this style. The beer itself has a bit of chill haze but is otherwise a completely clear pale gold.
Some corn husk and a fruity tang with a grainy undertone are all I get from the nose.
It's a little hoppier than most in the style, but I also get an unpleasant alcohol burn and some plastic-like notes. Malts are fairly dry but too light.
It's obviously light and somewhat thin, but crisp and with a bit of smoothness to it. It's not quite creamy, but almost.

1.62/5  rDev -20.2%

Oh man, it's really getting to the point where I dread reviewing anything that's listed here as a "Pale Lager." There's just so many terrible examples of this particular style. Alright, here we go:

Appearance: I've seen worse. Rather pleasently dark as macro-lagers go. Head dissapears a bit too quickly for my tastes though. No biggie, however.

Smell: Oh, gag me with a spoon. Not quite sure how to describe the smell other than "malts gone wrong." Something is very, very wrong with the smell of this beer. Not always a bad sign, but usually....

Taste: 26 beer reviews isn't much around these parts, and quite honestly, this is the first ice beer I've tried. I was scared. Everyone hates them. Apparently they have reason. Are there any hops in this anywhere? Any flavor at all? Tasteless, with a finish of vaguely bitter muck. Again, I've had worse, but this is pretty bad.

Mouthfeel: Well, it feels like a beer. Gotta give it credit for that. Not as watery as it could be. Not much beyond that however.

Drinkability: Really, you could do worse. But then, does anyone really aim for mediocrity? This is the sort of thing you drink during a hockey game. Early in the season. Definately not a Stanley Cup beer. Chug it, and move on to something better.

2.71/5  rDev +33.5%

In the 24 ounce bottle ...

That brewery picture is an actual facade as one enters Miller Valley in Milwaukee. The Plank Road was real but the brewery of that name never existed except in part as "Fred Miller's Plank Road Brewery".

The beer: Pale. Smooth. Grainy and sweet.
Some warmth of alcohol.
Light finish and readily drinkable.

Okay for a big brewer cheapie.

I like the label: I could see it from my office for the about 14 years I spent at Miller.

2.26/5  rDev +11.3%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: clear yellow with a nonexistent head.

Smell: Mazie and sweet malt. Some low levels of phenols.

Taste: A thicker body than I expected, but not really in a good way; feels sort of like a false body based on the corn adjunct malt.

Drinkability: I suppose if you want to "get trashed" this beer is a winner, but not really for someone with a discerning taste: basically this beer is for trashy college kids.

Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.