Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros

TheAdamConners, Aug 03, 2012

TurboChief, Aug 08, 2014

HeyBeerSnobFU, Oct 04, 2012

Perfectly carbonated for that immediate "over full" feeling upon consumption.
Pairs nicely with a brown paper bag, chicken cup-a-noodles cooked at a gas station coffee machine and poor life choices. My personal favorites.

IF IT AIN'T THE HOUSE, YOU'RE WEARIN' A BLOUSE.

THEMULHURRICANE, Apr 21, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +122.8%

cjnuxoll, Apr 03, 2013
4.18/5  rDev +106.9%

Was visiting in South Carolina and picked up a can in the grocery store. I didn't get to pour into a glass so not sure about the appearance. The smell was very good and the taste was refreshing. I had only one but wished that I could have had several. Normally I like a more complex taste but on that warm day it hit the spot perfectly.

RickB, Apr 07, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +104.5%

This is the first time I have had this beer and I am presently surprised. After being hooked on Red Dog ( I'm strapped for cash, so cheap 40's for me!) I didn't think this would fair much better, but I have found a new love. The taste is nothing special but it does wonders after a hard day of work. Smell is pleasantly sweet and nice. I'm quite fond of this beer and will most definitely purchase Icehouse again. Good job "Plank Road."

tmiller7, Aug 17, 2009

Reddogelite, Jul 21, 2014

ScreamInJava, Feb 13, 2013

Dapperticus, Jun 09, 2012

KC9LDB, Nov 21, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +97%

Appearance - Light golden, clear color, with a stark-white head, which is soapy on the sides and frothy on the top. The head retains very well and leaves lots of nice lacing.

Aroma - Sweetness, and that typical and inviting beer aroma. Some grassy hops, maybe? A little corn. Breadiness.

Taste - Grainy, some white breadiness from the barley, and a little bit of corn. It finishes with some hop bitterness, and a noticeable metallic note, which, while it does not spoil the experience, is not pleasant either. The overall flavor is very bold, very rich, and full.

Finish - Very dry, crisp, and refreshing. Emphasis on the dryness.

Overall - Very, very good. Much more of a bold and flavorful brew than I suspected (it was only $1 for the bottle). The only bone with this beer I have to pick is the very noticeable metallic flavor.

JoLight, Mar 25, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +92.1%

Icehouse is a brew that is brewed by Miller. This brew has an ABV of 5.5. Icehouse pours out dark amber with a white head. I like the color of this brew; it is not to dark but not too light. The taste is bold with flavor, but it is refreshing and smooth. There is nothing bad about this brew. This is one Miller Brew that I really like. I will get this brew again.

nicholas2121, Mar 07, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +85.6%

This is a good drinking beer. It looks and smells very average has a nice flavor, and drinks well. The higher alchohol content adds to its allure. I would drink it again for sure. It is not watery like most american beers. Wish they carried it at our golf course I would drink more.

larrytm56, Dec 25, 2010
3.75/5  rDev +85.6%

t0rin0, Oct 29, 2012
3.73/5  rDev +84.7%

VEry simple beer, not bothering, but neither interesting, at least I had my beer at that moment. Foam is present, is not green, at least not remarkably, and it has bubbling, so it is a good Macro Lager after all. I am not so sure if I had tatsed it before in 1999.

nekronos, Oct 24, 2005
3.7/5  rDev +83.2%

nyrangers955, Oct 12, 2014
3.7/5  rDev +83.2%

A- pale straw color with thin head and no real lacing.
S- Smell is not there except some alcohol.
T- The taste is pretty much corn and grain and highly drinkable
M- Crisp carbonation, yet thin weight.
D- Good cheap beer. I would say a malt liquor light and its good for when you are broke and wanna get drunk but hate natural ice.

GNR4life2, Sep 29, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +80.7%

I got laid off last week. It looks like I'll be hitting up budget brews for the time being. First up: Icehouse - $.99 for 24 ounces at the local grocery. It's difficult to locate the alcohol content on some beer labels; this can proudly advertises its 5.5% ABV like it's something to be achieved. The can says that Icehouse is "ice brewed below freezing". I'm serving this around 40 degrees so I hope that I don't cancel out the benefits of ice brewing with non-ice consumption.

I cracked the can and poured into a pilsner glass. Pouring the can horizontally produced four fingers of foamy, near-white head. Retention is moderate. Patches of lace struggle to hold on. The beer is golden colored and crystal clear. A lot of carbonation can be seen through the glass. It's slightly above average looking for style.

The nose displays a lot of corn adjunct. Nose hair tickling alcohol is surprisingly strong smelling for a brew of 5.5% ABV. Behind the less desirable aspects of this brew are pleasant hints of sweet malty grain and mellow hop aroma, such as one would expect from an industrial Euro lager. It makes the aroma seem a little more premium than the price tag would imply.

The taste is not bad either. The beer is watered down, as though ice was added rather than removed from the beer during the brewing process. Otherwise, the Euro graininess dominates the taste with the sweet flavor of wet hay and grass. A small trace of hops is detectable. The alcohol is noted but is still well-hidden. I get the impression that the only reason I taste the alcohol at all is that there aren't really any competing flavors. The aftertaste is grainy. I've never had Heineken Light, but this is what I imagine it would taste like.

In the mouth this beer is light bodied but still ample for the style. It is lightly carbonated and not as watery in feel as it is in flavor. I'm scratching my head as to why the overall rating is so low for this beer. At the very least it is non-offensive in every category, and I actually appreciated the subtle Euro lager styling, whether it was intentional or not. It's higher in alcohol than is comfortable for sessioning, but at a dollar for what amounts to two beers, Icehouse carries a perfect price to serving size ratio. There's no reason to stop at 12 ounces, and no need to drink beyond 24. It serves its purpose well.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
If you somehow can't afford Schlitz this will do. As such, I give a Schlitz about Icehouse

weizenbob, Apr 18, 2011
3.64/5  rDev +80.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is pretty good ice cold. Their is nothing wrong with this beer because the price is low for this beer.

Appearance It Is a gold body . Head is gone in in a few seconds with no lacing.

Smells : Malts and a bit of corn.

Taste Has a sweet taste with a tiny hint of hops. Slightly metallic finish if drank out of a can. To solve this probem drank out of a glass ..

Mouthfeel :Too highly carbonated for my taste but it is not bad.

It's certainly not the worst or the best I've ever had but the price is right on this beer. It went down pretty smooth !

bbluemzbeer, Jan 03, 2014
3.58/5  rDev +77.2%

Icehouse has a special place in my heart because it's the first beer I ever got drunk on. Maybe that's the reason I like the taste of it, but I think it's actually one of the best cheap beers you can buy. Maybe the best. The only other ice beer I like better is Molson. Icehouse is a great beer to get if you're having a party but you don't hate your friends enough to buy Bud Light.

abriggs1, Dec 21, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +75.7%

Always seen my uncle drink this throughout my life so i had to try it. This is a good beer to drink during the hot summer.

Theres no bad aftertaste and it gets the job done. You get a nice buzz without drinking alot of them. Im not a real big fan of ice beers but this is my favorite one.

The price could go down a lil bit. Its pretty high down here in Indiana. Overall you cant go wrong with an ice cold Icehouse.

Beerlover619, Aug 10, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +75.7%

Well now, I'm actually reviewing "icehouse light', but BA doesnt seem to have that available. Frankly, they're both macro adjuct lagers, so the light vs. no light distinction is pretty unimportant. I gotta say . . I'm not hating it. Some of my younger bro's friends gave it to me for free and I'm not complaining. I'd rather a coors light if I'm stuck down this road, but the extra alcohol punch will get me where I'm goin' quicker and I can't begrudge the beer that. Yeah, it tastes lean and watery, not nearly as adjunct-y as a lot of other AmiMacro Lagers I've had. No complaints. Where the beer is free, there can never be any complaints . .

shbobdb, Dec 21, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +74.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 16 ounce can into a nonic pint glass.. Nice 3" head that lasts about 5 minutes and leaves a surprising amount of lace.
Smell grainy some grassy hop aroma.
Taste is pale malt cereal grain and a touch of herbal hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is thin to medium with plenty of carbonation.
I enjoy an occasional Miller Highlife and this brew reminded me of that beer with a bit more flavor. One of the best beers of this style. Slightly too sweet but not cloying. If Miller would bump the hops a bit this would be really good instead of just alright. Very refreshing for the style.
Date on bottom of can is Aug. 25, 2014. Not sure what the time span is for the best by date.
My guess would be six months so this would be about halfway there.
Edit 7/18/2014. Appearance is really excellent for this beer. I can't think of another AAL that has a better long lasting head and the lacing is rather superb for a beer of this type.

Spikester, May 29, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +73.3%

SlowBrew, Nov 28, 2012
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.