Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
Reviews: 344 | Hads: 1,147

not sure what problem is I DRINK THIS BEER WARM !!!!! and enjoy it very much !!!!! been drinking warm beer for several years and this by far is the best !!!!! (158 characters)

Perfectly carbonated for that immediate "over full" feeling upon consumption.
Pairs nicely with a brown paper bag, chicken cup-a-noodles cooked at a gas station coffee machine and poor life choices. My personal favorites.

IF IT AIN'T THE HOUSE, YOU'RE WEARIN' A BLOUSE. (270 characters)

Okay, so I remember beer before the era of the overly hopped craft beer. Hipsters be damned, Icehouse is a good beer, despite not being over hopped and overpriced. Beer doesn't have to be overly bitter and brewed in a bathtub to be good. (237 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +74.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

If you're looking for the best tasting, cheap, 5.5% alcohol beer, ICEHOUSE is the best buy. It has more or a hoppy, almost citrus taste to it, whereas other ICE beers mostly taste like alcohol and water. (203 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +73%

Was visiting in South Carolina and picked up a can in the grocery store. I didn't get to pour into a glass so not sure about the appearance. The smell was very good and the taste was refreshing. I had only one but wished that I could have had several. Normally I like a more complex taste but on that warm day it hit the spot perfectly. (336 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +68.9%

This is the first time I have had this beer and I am presently surprised. After being hooked on Red Dog ( I'm strapped for cash, so cheap 40's for me!) I didn't think this would fair much better, but I have found a new love. The taste is nothing special but it does wonders after a hard day of work. Smell is pleasantly sweet and nice. I'm quite fond of this beer and will most definitely purchase Icehouse again. Good job "Plank Road." (436 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +68%

Appearance - Light golden, clear color, with a stark-white head, which is soapy on the sides and frothy on the top. The head retains very well and leaves lots of nice lacing.

Aroma - Sweetness, and that typical and inviting beer aroma. Some grassy hops, maybe? A little corn. Breadiness.

Taste - Grainy, some white breadiness from the barley, and a little bit of corn. It finishes with some hop bitterness, and a noticeable metallic note, which, while it does not spoil the experience, is not pleasant either. The overall flavor is very bold, very rich, and full.

Finish - Very dry, crisp, and refreshing. Emphasis on the dryness.

Overall - Very, very good. Much more of a bold and flavorful brew than I suspected (it was only $1 for the bottle). The only bone with this beer I have to pick is the very noticeable metallic flavor. (838 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +62.7%

Icehouse is a brew that is brewed by Miller Brewing Co . This brew has an ABV of 5.5% and it pours out dark amber with a nice white head. I like the color of this brew; it is not too dark but not too light. The smell is grain , malts, and some hops. It has the smell of an American Adjunct Lager. Not saying that is a bad thing. The taste is bold with flavor, but it is refreshing and smooth. You pick up on grains and malts. You can pick up on the 5.5% in this brew. There is nothing bad about this brew. Icehouse has a nice balance too it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. This is one Miller Brew that I really like. Mouthfeel is bold but clean, and smooth. I would buy this brew again. Miller brewing co did a nice job with this one. Overall I'm giving Icehouse a 4 out of 5. (796 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +55.6%

VEry simple beer, not bothering, but neither interesting, at least I had my beer at that moment. Foam is present, is not green, at least not remarkably, and it has bubbling, so it is a good Macro Lager after all. I am not so sure if I had tatsed it before in 1999. (264 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +53.5%

This is a good drinking beer. It looks and smells very average has a nice flavor, and drinks well. The higher alchohol content adds to its allure. I would drink it again for sure. It is not watery like most american beers. Wish they carried it at our golf course I would drink more. (282 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +53.5%

This is probably one of the best or THE BEST cheap beer at 5.5% the taste is great gets you a little buzz pretty quickly and I really can't say much more. This beer is way better than natural ice and keystone ice and bud ice. (225 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +52.3%

I got laid off last week. It looks like I'll be hitting up budget brews for the time being. First up: Icehouse - $.99 for 24 ounces at the local grocery. It's difficult to locate the alcohol content on some beer labels; this can proudly advertises its 5.5% ABV like it's something to be achieved. The can says that Icehouse is "ice brewed below freezing". I'm serving this around 40 degrees so I hope that I don't cancel out the benefits of ice brewing with non-ice consumption.

I cracked the can and poured into a pilsner glass. Pouring the can horizontally produced four fingers of foamy, near-white head. Retention is moderate. Patches of lace struggle to hold on. The beer is golden colored and crystal clear. A lot of carbonation can be seen through the glass. It's slightly above average looking for style.

The nose displays a lot of corn adjunct. Nose hair tickling alcohol is surprisingly strong smelling for a brew of 5.5% ABV. Behind the less desirable aspects of this brew are pleasant hints of sweet malty grain and mellow hop aroma, such as one would expect from an industrial Euro lager. It makes the aroma seem a little more premium than the price tag would imply.

The taste is not bad either. The beer is watered down, as though ice was added rather than removed from the beer during the brewing process. Otherwise, the Euro graininess dominates the taste with the sweet flavor of wet hay and grass. A small trace of hops is detectable. The alcohol is noted but is still well-hidden. I get the impression that the only reason I taste the alcohol at all is that there aren't really any competing flavors. The aftertaste is grainy. I've never had Heineken Light, but this is what I imagine it would taste like.

In the mouth this beer is light bodied but still ample for the style. It is lightly carbonated and not as watery in feel as it is in flavor. I'm scratching my head as to why the overall rating is so low for this beer. At the very least it is non-offensive in every category, and I actually appreciated the subtle Euro lager styling, whether it was intentional or not. It's higher in alcohol than is comfortable for sessioning, but at a dollar for what amounts to two beers, Icehouse carries a perfect price to serving size ratio. There's no reason to stop at 12 ounces, and no need to drink beyond 24. It serves its purpose well.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
If you somehow can't afford Schlitz this will do. As such, I give a Schlitz about Icehouse (2,514 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +51%

A- pale straw color with thin head and no real lacing.
S- Smell is not there except some alcohol.
T- The taste is pretty much corn and grain and highly drinkable
M- Crisp carbonation, yet thin weight.
D- Good cheap beer. I would say a malt liquor light and its good for when you are broke and wanna get drunk but hate natural ice. (330 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +50.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is pretty good ice cold. Their is nothing wrong with this beer because the price is low for this beer.

Appearance It Is a gold body . Head is gone in in a few seconds with no lacing.

Smells : Malts and a bit of corn.

Taste Has a sweet taste with a tiny hint of hops. Slightly metallic finish if drank out of a can. To solve this probem drank out of a glass ..

Mouthfeel :Too highly carbonated for my taste but it is not bad.

It's certainly not the worst or the best I've ever had but the price is right on this beer. It went down pretty smooth ! (562 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +48.1%

Icehouse has a special place in my heart because it's the first beer I ever got drunk on. Maybe that's the reason I like the taste of it, but I think it's actually one of the best cheap beers you can buy. Maybe the best. The only other ice beer I like better is Molson. Icehouse is a great beer to get if you're having a party but you don't hate your friends enough to buy Bud Light. (383 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +46.5%

I've been drinking Icehouse for years. And i have to say it is my favorite american beer. I love Ice beers and Icehouse was my first love when it comes to brew. I've nothing against other brews, b/c my favorite beer in the WORLD is Murphys Irish Red Ale. i love that stuff.
But Icehouse is one of those beers when you're on a budget that you can have a good time on, its not bad tasting, you can stomach it. Its a great sociable beer when your with friends at the local trailor park.
i love icehouse. Thank god for the plank road brewery.
-Infidel (549 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +45.2%

Well now, I'm actually reviewing "icehouse light', but BA doesnt seem to have that available. Frankly, they're both macro adjuct lagers, so the light vs. no light distinction is pretty unimportant. I gotta say . . I'm not hating it. Some of my younger bro's friends gave it to me for free and I'm not complaining. I'd rather a coors light if I'm stuck down this road, but the extra alcohol punch will get me where I'm goin' quicker and I can't begrudge the beer that. Yeah, it tastes lean and watery, not nearly as adjunct-y as a lot of other AmiMacro Lagers I've had. No complaints. Where the beer is free, there can never be any complaints . . (645 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 16 ounce can into a nonic pint glass.. Nice 3" head that lasts about 5 minutes and leaves a surprising amount of lace.
Smell grainy some grassy hop aroma.
Taste is pale malt cereal grain and a touch of herbal hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is thin to medium with plenty of carbonation.
I enjoy an occasional Miller Highlife and this brew reminded me of that beer with a bit more flavor. One of the best beers of this style. Slightly too sweet but not cloying. If Miller would bump the hops a bit this would be really good instead of just alright. Very refreshing for the style.
Date on bottom of can is Aug. 25, 2014. Not sure what the time span is for the best by date.
My guess would be six months so this would be about halfway there.
Edit 7/18/2014. Appearance is really excellent for this beer. I can't think of another AAL that has a better long lasting head and the lacing is rather superb for a beer of this type. (928 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +44.4%

Always seen my uncle drink this throughout my life so i had to try it. This is a good beer to drink during the hot summer.

Theres no bad aftertaste and it gets the job done. You get a nice buzz without drinking alot of them. Im not a real big fan of ice beers but this is my favorite one.

The price could go down a lil bit. Its pretty high down here in Indiana. Overall you cant go wrong with an ice cold Icehouse. (417 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +44%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells of corn and malts. Taste is crisp, some malts, corn is present, fairly refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall for $1.25 a 24 oz. can, I can't complain at all. (277 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +43.6%

Smells lightly of malt and hops (slightly floral perfume) with a bit of a sour edge. Almost smells like a Pilsner. As it warms up, that slight sour edge becomes more apple cidery. Flavor is similar to the nose, but the hops are less pronounced and there is a sweetness that carries through the whole way. Sweet malt up front, flash of hop flavor then fades quickly from malty to sugary, the hops go metallic, then the flavor muddles and becomes watery before the finish. Finish is short except for the impression of sweetness that lingers a bit.

Overall, this brew has a good balance between clean/crispness and actually having some flavor. It's got more flavor than most beers in the category without being too fruity or sweet. The carbonation is on the low end of moderate and just about right, in my opinion. (812 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +42.7%

It was a Saturday night and I was thinking of a friend I lost to cancer 3 years ago and the PBR's we drank together back in the day. Went to the store to get one and they were out so I got an Icehouse since it was the beer at the last party we were at together. Maybe it is the memories talking but I really enjoyed it. Made me think of simpler times and simpler beers.

Appearance - straw yellow with a quickly evaporating white head.

Smell - sweet, corn, not much else but not bad.

Taste - again sweet, no hops to speak of but enough malt to make it enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - smooth, refreshing, nice carbonation almost prickly.

Overall - very drinkable, nothing outstanding but nothing offensive. Got to be a great lawnmower, camping, golfing beer as long as it is insanely cold. Wouldn't recommend drinking it warm.

Thanks buddy. (835 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +42.3%

This review covers the 5.5% "full strength" version of this beer (the 3.2% abw version is no longer available in Oklahoma)

Pours to a thin white head that fades to a ring but leaves bits of foam on the side of the glass if you swirl it a bit. Color is pale yellow similar to Pabst or MGD. Aroma is corn, sweet malt and a bit of alcohol. Flavor is clean and a bit sweet, maybe due to the corn, malt and extra alcohol. Finishes dry and clean. This is an economical pale American lager that has no apparent style flaws and fits the style well. A solid citizen. (560 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +41.9%

This is a good beer overall, one of millers better. nothing amazingly special about it but it has a deep enough taste to be a beer drinkers beer, yet not quite as powerful as some other beers. Easy to drink, goes down pretty smoth, not a bad aftertaste. not as watered down as some say, not as filling as some say either, in the middle between ultra dark and ultra water, descent balance. (388 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +41.9%

When it comes to American Macro Lagers Icehouse would have to be my favorite(so far). It is basically all that the beer type, American Macro Lager, can try to be. A taste that isn't to complex or strong, but it is definately there, and it is very drinkable.

I obtained the unusual 22 oz. bottle and pour it into a glass. There wasn't much of a head but it did leave a fair amount of lacing. I enjoyed the smell. Nothing weird. Just the way I imagined the very clear gold liquid to smell. I took a swig that went down very easily, leaving no aftertaste, the way I like it. The taste was pretty good. It wasn't slight like some American Macro's, nor was it funky, trying to be something it is not. Just straight up cereal malts with a little sweetness as if you put sugar on your Cheerios. There is a little bitterness which is due to the hops, or the fact that its ice brewed? Probably the ice brewey-ness. It is thin though, which isn't a plus. On the whole this a cheap beer I love. I hate the camos, hurricanes, etc so if I'm low on cash this is what you might catch me drinking. (1,085 characters)

Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.