1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
Ratings: 872 | Reviews: 326 | Show All Ratings:
RickB

Nova Scotia (Canada)

4.18/5  rDev +103.9%

Was visiting in South Carolina and picked up a can in the grocery store. I didn't get to pour into a glass so not sure about the appearance. The smell was very good and the taste was refreshing. I had only one but wished that I could have had several. Normally I like a more complex taste but on that warm day it hit the spot perfectly.

04-07-2009 18:33:17 | More by RickB
tmiller7

4.13/5  rDev +101.5%

This is the first time I have had this beer and I am presently surprised. After being hooked on Red Dog ( I'm strapped for cash, so cheap 40's for me!) I didn't think this would fair much better, but I have found a new love. The taste is nothing special but it does wonders after a hard day of work. Smell is pleasantly sweet and nice. I'm quite fond of this beer and will most definitely purchase Icehouse again. Good job "Plank Road."

08-17-2009 06:33:45 | More by tmiller7
JoLight

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev +94.1%

Appearance - Light golden, clear color, with a stark-white head, which is soapy on the sides and frothy on the top. The head retains very well and leaves lots of nice lacing.

Aroma - Sweetness, and that typical and inviting beer aroma. Some grassy hops, maybe? A little corn. Breadiness.

Taste - Grainy, some white breadiness from the barley, and a little bit of corn. It finishes with some hop bitterness, and a noticeable metallic note, which, while it does not spoil the experience, is not pleasant either. The overall flavor is very bold, very rich, and full.

Finish - Very dry, crisp, and refreshing. Emphasis on the dryness.

Overall - Very, very good. Much more of a bold and flavorful brew than I suspected (it was only $1 for the bottle). The only bone with this beer I have to pick is the very noticeable metallic flavor.

03-25-2012 02:13:47 | More by JoLight
nicholas2121

3.83/5  rDev +86.8%

Icehouse is a brew that is brewed by Miller. This brew has an ABV of 5.5. Icehouse pours out dark amber with a white head. I like the color of this brew; it is not to dark but not too light. The taste is bold with flavor, but it is refreshing and smooth. There is nothing bad about this brew. This is one Miller Brew that I really like. I will get this brew again.

03-07-2014 03:59:56 | More by nicholas2121
larrytm56

Iowa

3.75/5  rDev +82.9%

This is a good drinking beer. It looks and smells very average has a nice flavor, and drinks well. The higher alchohol content adds to its allure. I would drink it again for sure. It is not watery like most american beers. Wish they carried it at our golf course I would drink more.

12-25-2010 10:41:49 | More by larrytm56
nekronos

Mexico

3.73/5  rDev +82%

VEry simple beer, not bothering, but neither interesting, at least I had my beer at that moment. Foam is present, is not green, at least not remarkably, and it has bubbling, so it is a good Macro Lager after all. I am not so sure if I had tatsed it before in 1999.

10-24-2005 15:19:00 | More by nekronos
GNR4life2

3.7/5  rDev +80.5%

A- pale straw color with thin head and no real lacing.
S- Smell is not there except some alcohol.
T- The taste is pretty much corn and grain and highly drinkable
M- Crisp carbonation, yet thin weight.
D- Good cheap beer. I would say a malt liquor light and its good for when you are broke and wanna get drunk but hate natural ice.

09-28-2010 23:08:51 | More by GNR4life2
weizenbob

3.65/5  rDev +78%

I got laid off last week. It looks like I'll be hitting up budget brews for the time being. First up: Icehouse - $.99 for 24 ounces at the local grocery. It's difficult to locate the alcohol content on some beer labels; this can proudly advertises its 5.5% ABV like it's something to be achieved. The can says that Icehouse is "ice brewed below freezing". I'm serving this around 40 degrees so I hope that I don't cancel out the benefits of ice brewing with non-ice consumption.

I cracked the can and poured into a pilsner glass. Pouring the can horizontally produced four fingers of foamy, near-white head. Retention is moderate. Patches of lace struggle to hold on. The beer is golden colored and crystal clear. A lot of carbonation can be seen through the glass. It's slightly above average looking for style.

The nose displays a lot of corn adjunct. Nose hair tickling alcohol is surprisingly strong smelling for a brew of 5.5% ABV. Behind the less desirable aspects of this brew are pleasant hints of sweet malty grain and mellow hop aroma, such as one would expect from an industrial Euro lager. It makes the aroma seem a little more premium than the price tag would imply.

The taste is not bad either. The beer is watered down, as though ice was added rather than removed from the beer during the brewing process. Otherwise, the Euro graininess dominates the taste with the sweet flavor of wet hay and grass. A small trace of hops is detectable. The alcohol is noted but is still well-hidden. I get the impression that the only reason I taste the alcohol at all is that there aren't really any competing flavors. The aftertaste is grainy. I've never had Heineken Light, but this is what I imagine it would taste like.

In the mouth this beer is light bodied but still ample for the style. It is lightly carbonated and not as watery in feel as it is in flavor. I'm scratching my head as to why the overall rating is so low for this beer. At the very least it is non-offensive in every category, and I actually appreciated the subtle Euro lager styling, whether it was intentional or not. It's higher in alcohol than is comfortable for sessioning, but at a dollar for what amounts to two beers, Icehouse carries a perfect price to serving size ratio. There's no reason to stop at 12 ounces, and no need to drink beyond 24. It serves its purpose well.

---

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (see my profile for an explanation)
If you somehow can't afford Schlitz this will do. As such, I give a Schlitz about Icehouse

04-18-2011 20:16:48 | More by weizenbob
bbluemzbeer

3.64/5  rDev +77.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is pretty good ice cold. Their is nothing wrong with this beer because the price is low for this beer.

Appearance It Is a gold body . Head is gone in in a few seconds with no lacing.

Smells : Malts and a bit of corn.

Taste Has a sweet taste with a tiny hint of hops. Slightly metallic finish if drank out of a can. To solve this probem drank out of a glass ..

Mouthfeel :Too highly carbonated for my taste but it is not bad.

It's certainly not the worst or the best I've ever had but the price is right on this beer. It went down pretty smooth !

01-03-2014 00:14:33 | More by bbluemzbeer
abriggs1

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev +74.6%

Icehouse has a special place in my heart because it's the first beer I ever got drunk on. Maybe that's the reason I like the taste of it, but I think it's actually one of the best cheap beers you can buy. Maybe the best. The only other ice beer I like better is Molson. Icehouse is a great beer to get if you're having a party but you don't hate your friends enough to buy Bud Light.

12-21-2007 04:48:01 | More by abriggs1
shbobdb

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev +73.2%

Well now, I'm actually reviewing "icehouse light', but BA doesnt seem to have that available. Frankly, they're both macro adjuct lagers, so the light vs. no light distinction is pretty unimportant. I gotta say . . I'm not hating it. Some of my younger bro's friends gave it to me for free and I'm not complaining. I'd rather a coors light if I'm stuck down this road, but the extra alcohol punch will get me where I'm goin' quicker and I can't begrudge the beer that. Yeah, it tastes lean and watery, not nearly as adjunct-y as a lot of other AmiMacro Lagers I've had. No complaints. Where the beer is free, there can never be any complaints . .

12-21-2005 06:02:03 | More by shbobdb
Beerlover619

3.55/5  rDev +73.2%

Always seen my uncle drink this throughout my life so i had to try it. This is a good beer to drink during the hot summer.

Theres no bad aftertaste and it gets the job done. You get a nice buzz without drinking alot of them. Im not a real big fan of ice beers but this is my favorite one.

The price could go down a lil bit. Its pretty high down here in Indiana. Overall you cant go wrong with an ice cold Icehouse.

08-09-2012 23:00:20 | More by Beerlover619
tone77

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smells of corn and malts. Taste is crisp, some malts, corn is present, fairly refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall for $1.25 a 24 oz. can, I can't complain at all.

10-07-2009 21:47:53 | More by tone77
tjwarren

3.48/5  rDev +69.8%

It was a Saturday night and I was thinking of a friend I lost to cancer 3 years ago and the PBR's we drank together back in the day. Went to the store to get one and they were out so I got an Icehouse since it was the beer at the last party we were at together. Maybe it is the memories talking but I really enjoyed it. Made me think of simpler times and simpler beers.

Appearance - straw yellow with a quickly evaporating white head.

Smell - sweet, corn, not much else but not bad.

Taste - again sweet, no hops to speak of but enough malt to make it enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - smooth, refreshing, nice carbonation almost prickly.

Overall - very drinkable, nothing outstanding but nothing offensive. Got to be a great lawnmower, camping, golfing beer as long as it is insanely cold. Wouldn't recommend drinking it warm.

Thanks buddy.

05-09-2011 00:40:49 | More by tjwarren
Infidel1717

3.48/5  rDev +69.8%

I've been drinking Icehouse for years. And i have to say it is my favorite american beer. I love Ice beers and Icehouse was my first love when it comes to brew. I've nothing against other brews, b/c my favorite beer in the WORLD is Murphys Irish Red Ale. i love that stuff.
But Icehouse is one of those beers when you're on a budget that you can have a good time on, its not bad tasting, you can stomach it. Its a great sociable beer when your with friends at the local trailor park.
i love icehouse. Thank god for the plank road brewery.
-Infidel

05-05-2012 20:47:19 | More by Infidel1717
EagleTalon

Arkansas

3.45/5  rDev +68.3%

This review covers the 5.5% "full strength" version of this beer (the 3.2% abw version is no longer available in Oklahoma)

Pours to a thin white head that fades to a ring but leaves bits of foam on the side of the glass if you swirl it a bit. Color is pale yellow similar to Pabst or MGD. Aroma is corn, sweet malt and a bit of alcohol. Flavor is clean and a bit sweet, maybe due to the corn, malt and extra alcohol. Finishes dry and clean. This is an economical pale American lager that has no apparent style flaws and fits the style well. A solid citizen.

02-10-2007 00:55:57 | More by EagleTalon
hockeyhead

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev +67.3%

cheap 12 pack of btls is seven bucks
A:pours pale yellow with lots of bubbles and carbination with a fast disipating very fizzy head
S: smells like corn and weird chemical adjunct lager smell with no hops come through in the nose
T: great very corny up front almost nut like sweetness no real hops bitterness exept the drying bready taste lingering in the mouth after but great taste
M: this beer is very light and crispy and watery feels like it has body when it goes down your throat though weird
D: this beer is refreshing and easy drink when its a hot summer day so it does what it is supposed to do i like this beer dont think it deserves a d though maybe c-

08-07-2009 01:30:31 | More by hockeyhead
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.43/5  rDev +67.3%

I really do enjoy drinking Icehouse beer. It has a thick, white head, a golden color, and very clear appearance. Carbonation is high. The aroma is weak, but typical for this genre. Taste is more full-bodied than other ice beers; corn and grain. Mouth-feel is light and watery. Icehouse finishes crisp and refreshing. I highly recommend giving this one a try.

RJT

05-11-2010 01:07:48 | More by RonaldTheriot
twi1609372

3.4/5  rDev +65.9%

This is a good beer overall, one of millers better. nothing amazingly special about it but it has a deep enough taste to be a beer drinkers beer, yet not quite as powerful as some other beers. Easy to drink, goes down pretty smoth, not a bad aftertaste. not as watered down as some say, not as filling as some say either, in the middle between ultra dark and ultra water, descent balance.

06-12-2004 05:06:53 | More by twi1609372
matty

3.4/5  rDev +65.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gold to light yellow colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma and flavor is pretty much grainy and bready.A good macro beer that is a good fit for any type of outing.Drinkable and smoooth a good deal at 13.00 for a case of bottles.I would recommend and would purchase again.

11-29-2009 09:35:13 | More by matty
BeerZack

3.4/5  rDev +65.9%

Smells lightly of malt and hops (slightly floral perfume) with a bit of a sour edge. Almost smells like a Pilsner. As it warms up, that slight sour edge becomes more apple cidery. Flavor is similar to the nose, but the hops are less pronounced and there is a sweetness that carries through the whole way. Sweet malt up front, flash of hop flavor then fades quickly from malty to sugary, the hops go metallic, then the flavor muddles and becomes watery before the finish. Finish is short except for the impression of sweetness that lingers a bit.

Overall, this brew has a good balance between clean/crispness and actually having some flavor. It's got more flavor than most beers in the category without being too fruity or sweet. The carbonation is on the low end of moderate and just about right, in my opinion.

07-08-2013 02:31:40 | More by BeerZack
nicksta

3.38/5  rDev +64.9%

When it comes to American Macro Lagers Icehouse would have to be my favorite(so far). It is basically all that the beer type, American Macro Lager, can try to be. A taste that isn't to complex or strong, but it is definately there, and it is very drinkable.

I obtained the unusual 22 oz. bottle and pour it into a glass. There wasn't much of a head but it did leave a fair amount of lacing. I enjoyed the smell. Nothing weird. Just the way I imagined the very clear gold liquid to smell. I took a swig that went down very easily, leaving no aftertaste, the way I like it. The taste was pretty good. It wasn't slight like some American Macro's, nor was it funky, trying to be something it is not. Just straight up cereal malts with a little sweetness as if you put sugar on your Cheerios. There is a little bitterness which is due to the hops, or the fact that its ice brewed? Probably the ice brewey-ness. It is thin though, which isn't a plus. On the whole this a cheap beer I love. I hate the camos, hurricanes, etc so if I'm low on cash this is what you might catch me drinking.

10-23-2005 03:57:18 | More by nicksta
dedrinker

Kansas

3.38/5  rDev +64.9%

24 oz. can from the 7-11 to accompany my half-smoke with relish, mustard and onions. Chill hazed lazy pee-pee color with a thin soapy head. Aroma of muted corn/ cereal grain. Tasted only faintly corny and otherwise very smooth and clean for a macro (keeping it cold is key). The body is just barely more than light - maybe a quarter of the way from light to medium. It's really quite nice with down market urban economy food. Finish is almost nil with a hint of cereal grain. There is a time and place in my sad life for this beer I'm afraid.

02-21-2008 21:31:05 | More by dedrinker
watermelon

3.36/5  rDev +63.9%

40oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Date on the bottle says Feb14

A: Clear golden body with whit frothy head. Really good retention and lots of lacing.

S:Smells like corn, nothing out of the ordinary for the style.

T: Tase mostly like corn, come fruity flavors as well.

M: Fuller then most for the style carbonation is good and this goes down easy. Very refreshing.

O: Not a terrible beer, I like it better then a lot of AAL beers, plus it comes in the 40oz format which is convenient. Its also got another ABV point at 5.5 then most AALs.

11-30-2013 05:59:06 | More by watermelon
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev +63.4%

A- Labelling is alright...pours a watered down apple juice color and NO head whatsoever is detectable...there wasn't really even any foam when I poured this beer. It doesn't even look like there is any carbonation. No lacing to speak of either. If you didn't know it was beer, it wouldn't be obvious right off the bat.

S- I smelled a decent malt aroma here with a little bit of brown sugar?...hmm, haven't smelled that in a lager before, oh well. There is also just a tinge of alcohol on the nose but not much else to report.

T- This is the 1st icebeer that I've had and I have to say that I didn't mind the flavor one bit. Good malty flavors and I enjoyed the fact that these were stronger than typical lager flavors. Enhanced would be the best way to describe it. There isn't really any hop presence here which is what keeps the score down a bit however.

M- Again, this is average, as it doesn't stand out as something that I really felt rolled around nicely on the palate but it isn't exactly watery by any means. The carbonation is decent, giving this a refreshing, clean feel.

D- Full marks as frankly, this is something that I'd be alright with having during an evening. It's fresh, decent American lager that Miller has done a decent job with. Amongst lagers, this rates right up there!

08-23-2008 00:46:55 | More by ChrisCage
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.