2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
Ratings: 872 | Reviews: 326 | Show All Ratings:
xXTequila

There is a word for liquor that contains nothing but water and alcohol and thats vodka. Drink that, not this.

10-03-2001 13:12:36 | More by xXTequila
spiffysamurai

Maine

This beer is just terrible. First off I got it skunked and the fact that it is so cheap should set off some lights. Anyways I was dared to drink one for ten dollars and god for bid after i drank this shitty beer the ten dollars wasn't worth it. The color looked worse then piss, well actually at first I thought it was piss. Well not really but this beer was just utterly disgusting looking. It was all down hill from there. Yes I got my ten dollars but in retrospect it wasn't worth it. Beware of shitty beer.

07-06-2006 02:22:09 | More by spiffysamurai
BeerAdvocator

North Dakota

I can honestly say out of drinking probably a thousand different beers this beer gets an award for being in the top ten worst beers I have ever drank! Yuk! A weird grainy malty taste and nothing else! I am hardcore. So when I say a beer is nasty I guarantee you it is! Hopefully in the future the beer industry will create a beer that is high in alcohol, tastes good, low priced, and low in the deadly congeners that are causing health problems in the U.S. and abroad. Beware!

12-21-2007 05:52:18 | More by BeerAdvocator
jucifer1818

appearance: pale, putrid, yellow piss water. it looks like you should have chosen a glass of water instead of this stuff
1/5

smell: Remarkably it smells worse than it looks, with that terrible "cheap beer smell" that is quite hard to describe.
1/5

taste: Can I give it a 0? its aweful. they obviously did not brew this beer for taste, as "below freezing" has not given it any
1/5

mouthfeel: yea, nothing to see here folks. move along

overall: the WORST....worst...WORST beer I have ever had. this is the most sorry excuse for a beer I have ever seen since Budweiser tried to mix up clam juice, tomato's, and bud light into an atricous canned cocktail
at least that dreck had the defense of being a gimicky, bad idea

this whole beer is a bad idea, made simply to market to lowest common denominator for the cheapest price with the highest alcohol content

If you have any dignity at all, Avoid it at all costs.
Their is so much better ways to get drunk

11-30-2012 06:39:15 | More by jucifer1818
acsprouse

South Carolina

1.03/5  rDev -49.8%

Pousrs clear yellow with a thick soapy head that fades quickly. This beer, is very grainy, corny and cheap. Corn all the way through the nose, and into the taste.. Cheap grain, cheap malts, decent carbination. Its just a very cheap tasting beer. Its only purpose is getting drunk.

02-15-2013 06:44:25 | More by acsprouse
magictrokini

1.05/5  rDev -48.8%

I have never forgiven Miller for inflicting this beer upon me throughout college. Bright gold pour, oily, with a white head. Chemical sweet mix of corn, nail polish remover, and sweetener. Taste is a disaster of corny, metallic pee with some sugar mixed in to "ice" it. The only thing worse than drinking it is the hangover. WORST. BEER. EVER.

12-10-2008 19:43:38 | More by magictrokini
tjsmith910

1.05/5  rDev -48.8%

Absolutely the worst beer in my opinion. Very rough taste and bitter after taste persistently exist after every swallow. Color seems non existent. Can not hold flavor from the second the cap is cracked. No refreshing qualities in my opinion about this beer.

09-16-2010 14:55:56 | More by tjsmith910
cptnjck101

1.08/5  rDev -47.3%

This is another one of those beers that will hurt your feelings. Tastes like ass and gives you the worst hangover a mortal man can imagine. It is cheap, but that's about all it has going for it. I can't say I have one good reason to drink this swill.

05-30-2004 08:43:03 | More by cptnjck101
erz316

Indiana

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

so I tried the can version of this btich. you know what? it was exactly the same. well, it didn't smell like I was actively haivng my face farted on, but it was close enough. the qualities are the same as my bottle review, so go there for the few details I give.

01-23-2010 04:14:39 | More by erz316
hardy008

1.1/5  rDev -46.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Pale yellow color with a small white head with poor retention and no lacing. Smells like cooked grain and corn. Not much going on with the aroma.

Tastes like watery cooked grain and corn. A little bit of skunk, and a bit of a metallic taste.

Thin and watery mouthfeel, too much carbonation, harsh to drink. A terrible beer, and a drain pour.

11-02-2010 02:53:15 | More by hardy008
xav33

1.13/5  rDev -44.9%

Icehouse
Deuce-Deuce
Recent browing, resided in 11/06
Medium pour in a pint glass.

Poured a slightly pale yellow with a fizzy mostly diminishing white head.

Smelt of faint grain.

Taste was upfront sweet drainage water with maybe hints of grain flavoring followed by an execrable harsh bitter fat man's bat tub water taste. Mouthfeel was light bodied, watery-ish, fizzy and strongly astringent on the finish.

Overall, I never actually tasted this beer until today. I've drank it a few times and thought it was ok, but never *tasted* it. Don't taste it. Just enjoy the buzz.

11-09-2006 06:44:22 | More by xav33
baos

Indiana

1.15/5  rDev -43.9%

From mental notes.

Poured this into a big jar to have a look-see.

A: Looks like most Macros.

S: It smells like metal and stale grains. Not nice.

T: I hadn't had one of these for probably ten years. I remember thinking that this was a good new brew when I saw the commercials as a teenager. It tastes like metal and grains that have gotten old and someone added sugar to it.. Funky malts

M: subpar.

D: I had two.. I mean i had to.. i mean i'm had too

01-21-2010 23:28:44 | More by baos
woodske1

1.2/5  rDev -41.5%

This is still made? I remember this was one of the first "Ice" beers to be heavily advertised years ago so maybe they got market share early and kept it.

It tastes like skunky beer. It also has one of the lowest ABV% for an ice beer so getting drunk even takes more painful tasting than other ice beers.

03-03-2009 16:35:01 | More by woodske1
thekevlarkid

Maryland

1.25/5  rDev -39%

Out of a forty bottle this beer was a perfectly clear gold color. The one-finger of off-white head retained well as a collar and left impressive lacing in sheets. The aroma was distinctly unpleasant, macro grains, stale grains, skunky malt and wet wood. The flavors were no better. Dry, grainy, skunky and boring. The mouthfeel was rough and a little slick, the body medium and the carbonation medium. I was not happy to have a full forty of this to deal with. I always hate to fail a beer but this one sucked in several categories, especially the flavor one that matters.

07-07-2009 13:38:16 | More by thekevlarkid
DavoleBomb

1.28/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured into a pils glass from a 24 oz. can.

2.0 A: Clear light yellow color. Mega-carbonated as the first pour gave me about 40% head. Fortunately retention is poor. Pillowy white head.

1.0 S: This is the closest to smelling like nothing that I've ever experienced in a beer. Smells like water I guess.

1.5 T: Just the slighest bit of neutral maltiness. Underwhelming even for the style.

1.0 M: Despite the giant head, there isn't a lot of carbonation in this. I guess the carbonation was just trying to get as far away from this beer as possible. Water body. No creaminess.

1.0 D: I don't know how they got this up to 5.5% without having any flavor in this. Amazing.

10-18-2012 02:44:22 | More by DavoleBomb
scaliasux

Wisconsin

1.3/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance - Light, clear golden color.Thick soapy head; disapates quickly. No lacing. Champagne-like carbonation. Very average.

Smell - Grainy, adjunct smell. Sweet, no hint of hops. The scent is, notably, strong enough to smell.

Taste - Sweet adjunct taste beginning followed by a harsh sour and raw alcohol finish. Actively bad flavor that lingers on your tastebuds. Ranks with Milwaukee's Best as among the worst tasting beers.

Mouthfeel - Quite watery, thin. Overly tangy finish.

Drinkability - This stuff feels like seltzer in the mouth, but tastes like paint thinner. This, my friends, is not a very drinkable beer.

Please don't allow yourself to be taken in by the museum-like picture on the front of the can. There is no concivable way, brewers of the past would have cooked up and sold this chemical cocktail. Can should come with a "Mr. Yuk" sticker. [scrapes tongue]

05-23-2005 01:59:48 | More by scaliasux
aaronh

1.33/5  rDev -35.1%

One of the few beers I've never finished. Pretty much a typical macro in appearance and smell, but the taste is much too bitter and metallic, with a harsh mouthfeel and an everlasting aftertatse that tastes like an acid-soaked penny. This is absolutely horrid stuff.

06-05-2003 00:04:54 | More by aaronh
Rhynes2

1.33/5  rDev -35.1%

Wow where to start. This beer just takes the cake as the worst beer i have every had in my entire life. I had a fresh cold one and it just tasted like metal and alcohol. If your gonna buy something for a cheap buzz, maybe get Natty or anything really stay away from this one. NO GOOD. I also made the mistake of trying one when it was warm. That was just a bad call on my part and I could not finish the can. One of the only beers that I have deemed worthy of being poured out.

10-07-2008 14:02:52 | More by Rhynes2
CowsCanBark

1.33/5  rDev -35.1%

Poured from 24 oz. can into pint glass. Reviewed to style.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden hue with a two-finger head that actually takes a few minutes to dissipate. Tiny spots of lacing left along the glass as I drink.

Smell: Metal and water.

Taste. Metal, water, alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Much too full-bodied for an AAL. High carbonation, and the body isn't stout-like or anything, but it's just too heavy of a body for this style of beer.

Overall: Horrible. I'd much rather have a Lionshead, Rolling Rock, or High Life.

01-11-2012 01:41:00 | More by CowsCanBark
bminus

1.35/5  rDev -34.1%

snaged a can of this from a buddy of mine, just wanted to try it. this was a mistake.
drank it out of the can so no appearance on this one.

just smelled bad.

taste was worse. the most repulsive taste I have ever tasted from any drink. kinda tasted like it sat on a piece of rotted wood for several weeks and then was found to be served after it was long expired.

nothing is good about this beer at all. the mouth feel was the only thing that allowed me to nearly finsh this one... it wasn't too bad.

overall if you call this drinkable then you need to try other options, even in cheap beers. I couldn't finsh 1 can and thats on my college budget taste. Horrible.

10-15-2007 05:43:02 | More by bminus
ChiSox05

1.4/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

That's it, I have made a promise to my soul that I will never put this shit in my body again. It smells awful, like beer that has soured after a kegger with rotting corn and notes of crap. Taste: this swill would be better off with no taste. Dimethyl sulfides and phenolic initially. I get acrid corn, and think Miller said the hell with it, let's see what happens with this malt I found behind the forklift. The only part I wasn't disappointed with was the lack of aftertaste. Still not too drinkable from overbearing carbonation. I can't drink this anymore, Olde E sounds delicious in comparison. Even for this style of beer, Icehouse is wrong. I'm feeling like a genius for bringing my last Alpha King to hop out all of this Icehouse. Bad beer, if you can even call it that. I could brew better in my car trunk.

11-23-2005 16:52:29 | More by ChiSox05
ZAP

1.43/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours a straw color...big cooked corn and alcohol on the nose...smells like a mild Malt Liqour...tastes like it too...harsh alcohol flavor...cheap adjunty flavor..smooths out a little as you drink it but not a favorite of mine...there are many macros I'd pick over this including a lot of so called cheapies...and the ABV on this is only 5.5. or something like that....kind of a light malt liqour without the full flavor/sweetness that malt liquors pack..

07-29-2004 04:34:37 | More by ZAP
harpo111

Georgia

1.45/5  rDev -29.3%

had not tried an ice beer in a while. while i like MGD ok and regular miller high life somewhat....from the standpoint of OK macros (i prefer much heavier stuff...but you can't get it at the quickie mart).
a: looks like ok beer
s: musty, little hint of grain
t: fizzy with a weak grain flavor..very little sweetness
m: fizzy
d: you better have a good one first so you don't taste much of this one.
overall not impressed at all. little flavor, little character...would rather have a plain old miller or bud over this any day...
will not buy again.

11-29-2006 19:29:23 | More by harpo111
JISurfer

South Carolina

1.48/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Beer colored water. No head at all.
Smell: Smells like a stale hoppy beer. Still not skunk though.
Taste: You can definately taste the alcohol in the "beer". You can
also taste the water. Pretty bubbly too.
Mouthfeel: Nothing really special here, just rolls down like semi-
carbonated water. Doesn't leave a film or anything.
Drinkability: I try to stay away from this one. The only time I drink
it is when I run out of my good stuff and my bro has it
stocked in his fridge.

01-26-2003 20:30:26 | More by JISurfer
beertaster13

Washington

1.48/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a bottle of this from a friends house so I could review it. My friends seem to always have this beer stocked so I gave it a chance. BIG MISTAKE. Icehouse is the worst ice beer I have ever tasted. Pours the usual macro corn yellow with a little bubbly head that fizzles away to quickly. The smell is potent, corn is the strong scent here, no smell of hops just strong corn with a small small hint of malt. The taste is what really makes this beer horrible, the taste is of nothing, absolutely nothing, like drinking dirty water. In the mouth the beer feels flat and warm. Not a drinkable beer, this beer was made to get f&^%*'d up, and that is about it. Ice beers are the true alcoholic beer, get drunk quicker and faster, sounds like fun...not!

02-24-2004 06:47:23 | More by beertaster13
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.