Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
magictrokini

1.05/5  rDev -48.5%

I have never forgiven Miller for inflicting this beer upon me throughout college. Bright gold pour, oily, with a white head. Chemical sweet mix of corn, nail polish remover, and sweetener. Taste is a disaster of corny, metallic pee with some sugar mixed in to "ice" it. The only thing worse than drinking it is the hangover. WORST. BEER. EVER.

12-10-2008 19:43:38 | More by magictrokini
Murphious

1.48/5  rDev -27.5%

If I were dying of thirst, and couldn't pee, I'd drink this again...
I think they left some chemicals in the vat after the previous cleaning? Man, this stuff tastes like it should have a warning label on it about possible toxins. It looks okay IF you want to see what the hell you just took a sip of... I guess I am spoiled after drinking 'proper' beers.

11-23-2008 22:29:10 | More by Murphious
MTNboy

Germany

2.63/5  rDev +28.9%

The body is a very clear pale yellow with quite a bit of bubbles in the body. There is a lot of white head and lace. The lace is very spread out but there is a lot of it all the same. It has a watery and thin mouthfeel. There is not much to smell, a little stale and adjunct. The taste is about the same. The flavor is watered down and grainy. It has sort of detergent like taste. Not much to this beer it is pretty neutral cheap beer designed to get you drunk. So it is good at serving its intended task.

11-22-2008 13:50:18 | More by MTNboy
BierFan

2.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a tumbler glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow with a snow white head.

Smell: Pale malts and adjuncts. No hops. Not pleasant.

Taste: This is a rather bland and boring beer, even for a macro, but I suppose nobody ever drinks macros because they taste good.

11-21-2008 19:37:18 | More by BierFan
Macdoyal

Vermont

1.75/5  rDev -14.2%

Alrighty,

Appearance: The best thing about this beer. Nice and light gold color with a white foamy head to start then turns into a loose lacing on top. It makes you thirsty just looking at it.

Smell: Not great smells like old beer not good beer. Kinda boozey and sour I guess.

Taste: This parts the worse. Taste like the can it came in and water down cheap vodka. Metallic flavor big time very slight old beer taste. I've tasted better cheap beer.

Mouthfeel: Like carbonated water nothing great to report but nothing bad either.

Drinkability: I could drink this IF I had to but since I don't I will not be. I mean after the first i'm sure you get drunk enough that the next few so long as they are cold are ok but for the love of beer i won't drink this again.

11-21-2008 07:14:53 | More by Macdoyal
Goliath

2.2/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a half inch foamy bright white head. Poor retention and no lacing.

The aroma is unimpressive and typical. Some pale pils type malt, fairly sweet and slightly bready. Nothing distinct about it.

The taste is not too good. It's sweet up front, with a bit of a pale malt on the back end. It finishes pretty clean, and slightly dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is fairly low. It's not very tasty, but not the worst of the style either. I could do without it.

11-19-2008 19:03:54 | More by Goliath
tbeck

Washington

2.35/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours a pale golden yellow with a three finger head. Head is white and carbonated. Aroma is basic, barley and malt. Taste has a lot of yeasty with some barley, especially in the aftertaste. Taste also has some metallic to it. Mouthfeel is light, expected for a macro, and very carbonated. This was offensive and not enjoyable, not recommended as a session beer.

11-12-2008 06:00:19 | More by tbeck
ncbeermonger

2.85/5  rDev +39.7%

This beer is only good at a game while you are in the stands. There are even better beach beers than this beer, but when you are at a ball park with nothing else to chose except maybe an American Lager or light Pilsner it is the best choice.
The metal in the can leaves a metalic taste, there is no sense of hop, or malt. the 5.5 ABV% is the other saving grace. Its no craft beer lager, but when its this or light/lite go with this every time!

10-22-2008 06:53:41 | More by ncbeermonger
zeff80

Missouri

2.05/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Poured out a very bubbly, straw yellow color. It had a faomy, white, one finger head that receded quickly and left no lace.

S - Smelled like grain adjuncts and some corn.

T - It tasted of grain and corn. Fairly sweet with a bitterness that does not come from hops.

M - It was dry, fizzy and a little thin. A light-bodied beer.

D - It cheap and sessionable, but certainly not a great tasting lager.

10-20-2008 02:25:53 | More by zeff80
nlmartin

2.6/5  rDev +27.5%

Its one more daring stop at the stop and rob. The beer was cold and served in a pint glass.

Appearance: This is the beers high note. The beer is a straw yellow coloration The head is a quickly resolving white coloration.

Smell: The beer has the aroma of corn and little else.

Taste: The beer is loaded with cereal flavors. The malt is very thin. Maybe the ghost of hops past bringing a bit of bittering. Fairly clean flavor nothing noxious or challenging.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a light thin body. The carbonation helps it out a bit. Just a beer to sit and pound or maybe do yard work with.

10-17-2008 01:59:23 | More by nlmartin
Offa

1.83/5  rDev -10.3%

This is pretty bad but far better than many things I've had.

Bright, deep straw gold, it has a huge white head that quickly shrinks to a thin foaym top that steadily thins to a ring. It actually leaves a little weak lace behind.

The aroma is soft cooked rice, dry grass, and a little perfumy soap or scented baby powder.

The taste is cooked rice with a little funky, old, sweet apple juice. It then finishes with a faintly acrid, sharp, softly oily soap taste and feel that isn't really bitter but almost is. It leaves an aftertaste of light cooked rice with a little soap and a soapy feel. Throughout, it's thin, very bland, the flavours ghostly, and it;s a bit watery except the oily soap quality. At first, it's ok and kind of drinkable, being mostly just a bland, basic but ok lager quality. However, after a bit the soap element becomes quite tiresome and tends to take over the drink too much.

10-16-2008 17:05:25 | More by Offa
Rhynes2

1.33/5  rDev -34.8%

Wow where to start. This beer just takes the cake as the worst beer i have every had in my entire life. I had a fresh cold one and it just tasted like metal and alcohol. If your gonna buy something for a cheap buzz, maybe get Natty or anything really stay away from this one. NO GOOD. I also made the mistake of trying one when it was warm. That was just a bad call on my part and I could not finish the can. One of the only beers that I have deemed worthy of being poured out.

10-07-2008 14:02:52 | More by Rhynes2
7beerphil

Maryland

2.38/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from a 40 oz bottle into a pilsener glass:

A: Dark yellow/light copper, plenty of carbonation, decent 2 inch head that is long-lived, small amount of lacing

S: Alcohol is prominent, some malt

T: Rather sweet, no taste of hops

M: Smooth, the carbonation is gone

D: Fair at best, nothing spectacular. The 40 oz with 5.5% abv gives you a cheap buzz.

10-03-2008 20:18:00 | More by 7beerphil
Hoagie1973

2.55/5  rDev +25%

Not much to talk about, but here it is:
Pale gold-yellow with a thin wispy white head.
Not much in the nose but corn & alcohol.
Tastes fairly clean with a moderate alcohol bite.
Crisp & medium bodied for the style.
Overall not undrinkable if you want a cheap lager with a hefty ABV, but I suggest drinking it ice-cold. If you let it warm the clean crispness disappears and it just tastes like a cheap grainy can of swill.

09-24-2008 17:45:11 | More by Hoagie1973
PatrickJR

2.28/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Pale yellow. A half inch or less of white head rises quickly and falls quickly to nothing, leaving nothing.

S - One of the worst smelling macros. The DMS is incredibly noticable, with a touch of vinegar.

T - A semi-sweet corn flavor starts things off, and the brew quickly falls to cooked vegetables. The finish is harsh with alcohol and a sickening metallic bitterness.

M - Like any of the style, it's got a light body with good carbonation, but at 5.5% it is slightly heavier.

D - This is pretty low as far as macros go, though I recall giving it a higher rating when having it out of the can a couple of months back. Either way, what I drank last night highlighted a lot of negative aspects of macro lagers.

09-15-2008 05:17:27 | More by PatrickJR
changeup45

1.53/5  rDev -25%

Golden color with a small white cap on top. Aroma was a little foul with some (sorry) piss-skunky smell to it. Sweet, tart-bitter, relatively strong flavors of corn, malt, wheat and rice. Not good. Took some grimacing to get it all down. Aftertaste is harsh. I won't get it again.

08-23-2008 17:47:53 | More by changeup45
ChrisCage

Alberta (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev +64.2%

A- Labelling is alright...pours a watered down apple juice color and NO head whatsoever is detectable...there wasn't really even any foam when I poured this beer. It doesn't even look like there is any carbonation. No lacing to speak of either. If you didn't know it was beer, it wouldn't be obvious right off the bat.

S- I smelled a decent malt aroma here with a little bit of brown sugar?...hmm, haven't smelled that in a lager before, oh well. There is also just a tinge of alcohol on the nose but not much else to report.

T- This is the 1st icebeer that I've had and I have to say that I didn't mind the flavor one bit. Good malty flavors and I enjoyed the fact that these were stronger than typical lager flavors. Enhanced would be the best way to describe it. There isn't really any hop presence here which is what keeps the score down a bit however.

M- Again, this is average, as it doesn't stand out as something that I really felt rolled around nicely on the palate but it isn't exactly watery by any means. The carbonation is decent, giving this a refreshing, clean feel.

D- Full marks as frankly, this is something that I'd be alright with having during an evening. It's fresh, decent American lager that Miller has done a decent job with. Amongst lagers, this rates right up there!

08-23-2008 00:46:55 | More by ChrisCage
morimech

2.88/5  rDev +41.2%

Pours a very pale straw color with a large head that fades quickly. Some lacing is left on the glass. The beer has a metallic smell along with adjunct aromas. Not the best looking or smelling macro. The taste is about average. It is on the drier side of the style. Not much for hops or any thing special about the malt bill. Carbonation seems mild for the style but the body is quit thing. If I am going to drink a macro lager I can find more tasty alternatives.

07-07-2008 22:58:38 | More by morimech
ommegoose

2.2/5  rDev +7.8%

Picked up a tallboy at a 7-11 for $1.69. I was wondering if I would find it tolerable enough to buy when I need a cheap buzz.

The appearance is fine for the style, and not terrible overall either. Head retention was not epic, but did stay at a thin sheet for a decent amount of time. Pretty typical straw color, but a bit more rich than others. Some minor lacing too. This doesn't fare badly here.

This is not a real pleasant aroma by any stretch. Strong metallic notes, and a stale graininess. Other macros do better at being inoffensive. Corn comes up as it warms.

Flavor is definitely a notch below most macros I've had. Metallic bitterness does not work. One can hardly associate the bitter qualities of this beer with hops. Faint apple-like sweetness that I've noticed in other lagers that get above 5% abv is not bad. Finish is crisp and clean, which is a plus since the off flavors don't linger. Corn starts to dominate this beer as it warms, but this has the positive effect of lessening the metallic/chemical flavors more present earlier. At this point it finishes more like Corn Flakes.

Very thin feel. Carbonation is fine, but this is a little watery. I could barely find any alcohol on the palate, which is nice.

This isn't horribly bad, but I can't get excited about drinking it whatsoever. I would be much happier taking High Life over this. Not even sure what the point of this beer is for Miller, since High Life packs just as much alcohol. As with just about any alcoholic product, it grows on you as you get intoxicated. If I wanted to get tanked I'm sure I would not care much about the flavor by about beer #3. Probably won't buy again. Even if I get tired of High Life, there are other better choices.

07-02-2008 05:46:25 | More by ommegoose
Buebie

1.68/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pils glass.
Good 2 finger white head, transparent golden color
Smell is grainy and sweet bready dough. Some mild alcahol fumieness.
Taste is of chalk, mild grassy hops, very very mild. Sour apples, some malty character. Finish is of metallic chalkieness.

Mouthfell...What mouthfeel?

I used to drink this back in college and remember it being full bodied. Whered the body go?

07-01-2008 17:53:13 | More by Buebie

2.7/5  rDev +32.4%

At 5.5 ABV, this is a nice heavy macro. It goes well with my morning tacos (no I'm not an alcoholic, I work nights), and supplements the Mexican morning cuisine I am so used to. It smells kinda funky, but tastes nice and strong, and goes down smoothly. But, because of the gravity, and the extra bitterness present, it isnt as drinkable as it could be. But, I still enjoy this one nonetheless!

06-24-2008 05:27:18 | More by 1099
musicjustintime

3.28/5  rDev +60.8%

It's been a LOOONG time since I've tried this...about 6 years or so....so I thought I'd give it another shot. Was told by my friendly neighborhood distributor that they just lowered the price...to $11.99 a case for bottles!!! I haven't paid that for bottled beer for YEARS! SO, I'm giving it a whirl now...and Icehouse really isn't that bad! Smoooth...a touch of hops....and very malty. I would much rather have a couple/few of these than a TON of Miller Lite (it's "SISTER BEER") any day! WHY?? Because it makes you feel good QUICK...kinda tastes like an old-time American macro, and has more flavor than the Lite sister! I would recommend this to anyone who's on a budget, and who wants a decent, American macro...for one HELLUVA PRICE!!! OH, they (Plank Road Brewery) claim that they've changed the beer somewhat, recently, so that may just have done the trick to make it better than the days of old. Decent, drinkable, and 5.5% ABV!!! CHEAP, TOO! What more do you need?!?!? Take care and CHEERS my BA FRIENDS!!!

05-29-2008 19:04:40 | More by musicjustintime
rye726

Colorado

1.65/5  rDev -19.1%

At 5.5% we have a heavyweight macro on our hands? Will it stand up to the best? No. Yellow color and a tan head. Aromas are faint and very grainy. The taste is a bit bitter and stale. The body is light and foamy. Not a very drinkable beer. I think I would have a water or better yet, a stout.

05-05-2008 05:51:13 | More by rye726
wheatyweiss

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev +38.7%

Pale straw with a light fast dissipating head that leaves nothing on the glass.

Smell is corn and adjunct. Metallic with plenty of DMS and sweet corny aroma.

Taste is malty, surprisingly not as bad as the aroma. Sweet adjuncts come through, but not that terrible. A slight sour, tangy flavor on the finish. And....Do I really taste it? Hops? Ever so slight.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp with HUGE carbonation.

Not good at all, but not bad for the price.

05-01-2008 22:41:40 | More by wheatyweiss
bboven

3.25/5  rDev +59.3%

Yellow/Gold crystal clear body that has more color than most in the style. Head is gone in about two seconds with no lacing.

Smells of sweet malt and quite a bit of corn. Perfectly acceptable and expected for the style.

Non-descript sweetness initially with a tiny flash of hops. Slightly metallic finish, though. Even with that little flaw there is more flavor here than most.

Highly carbonated, but should be a little more drying. Must be that residual sugar cloying it up just a bit.

It's certainly not the worst I've ever had. I got a can specifically to review it and because I didn't want any skunk from the bottled version detracting from the beer. Like I said, not bad for the style, but a style that I generally pass on.

04-14-2008 22:01:48 | More by bboven
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.