Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
2.55/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Not much to talk about, but here it is:
Pale gold-yellow with a thin wispy white head.
Not much in the nose but corn & alcohol.
Tastes fairly clean with a moderate alcohol bite.
Crisp & medium bodied for the style.
Overall not undrinkable if you want a cheap lager with a hefty ABV, but I suggest drinking it ice-cold. If you let it warm the clean crispness disappears and it just tastes like a cheap grainy can of swill.

Hoagie1973, Sep 24, 2008
2.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Pale yellow. A half inch or less of white head rises quickly and falls quickly to nothing, leaving nothing.

S - One of the worst smelling macros. The DMS is incredibly noticable, with a touch of vinegar.

T - A semi-sweet corn flavor starts things off, and the brew quickly falls to cooked vegetables. The finish is harsh with alcohol and a sickening metallic bitterness.

M - Like any of the style, it's got a light body with good carbonation, but at 5.5% it is slightly heavier.

D - This is pretty low as far as macros go, though I recall giving it a higher rating when having it out of the can a couple of months back. Either way, what I drank last night highlighted a lot of negative aspects of macro lagers.

PatrickJR, Sep 15, 2008
1.53/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Golden color with a small white cap on top. Aroma was a little foul with some (sorry) piss-skunky smell to it. Sweet, tart-bitter, relatively strong flavors of corn, malt, wheat and rice. Not good. Took some grimacing to get it all down. Aftertaste is harsh. I won't get it again.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +65%

A- Labelling is alright...pours a watered down apple juice color and NO head whatsoever is detectable...there wasn't really even any foam when I poured this beer. It doesn't even look like there is any carbonation. No lacing to speak of either. If you didn't know it was beer, it wouldn't be obvious right off the bat.

S- I smelled a decent malt aroma here with a little bit of brown sugar?...hmm, haven't smelled that in a lager before, oh well. There is also just a tinge of alcohol on the nose but not much else to report.

T- This is the 1st icebeer that I've had and I have to say that I didn't mind the flavor one bit. Good malty flavors and I enjoyed the fact that these were stronger than typical lager flavors. Enhanced would be the best way to describe it. There isn't really any hop presence here which is what keeps the score down a bit however.

M- Again, this is average, as it doesn't stand out as something that I really felt rolled around nicely on the palate but it isn't exactly watery by any means. The carbonation is decent, giving this a refreshing, clean feel.

D- Full marks as frankly, this is something that I'd be alright with having during an evening. It's fresh, decent American lager that Miller has done a decent job with. Amongst lagers, this rates right up there!

ChrisCage, Aug 23, 2008
2.88/5  rDev +41.9%

Pours a very pale straw color with a large head that fades quickly. Some lacing is left on the glass. The beer has a metallic smell along with adjunct aromas. Not the best looking or smelling macro. The taste is about average. It is on the drier side of the style. Not much for hops or any thing special about the malt bill. Carbonation seems mild for the style but the body is quit thing. If I am going to drink a macro lager I can find more tasty alternatives.

morimech, Jul 07, 2008
2.2/5  rDev +8.4%

Picked up a tallboy at a 7-11 for $1.69. I was wondering if I would find it tolerable enough to buy when I need a cheap buzz.

The appearance is fine for the style, and not terrible overall either. Head retention was not epic, but did stay at a thin sheet for a decent amount of time. Pretty typical straw color, but a bit more rich than others. Some minor lacing too. This doesn't fare badly here.

This is not a real pleasant aroma by any stretch. Strong metallic notes, and a stale graininess. Other macros do better at being inoffensive. Corn comes up as it warms.

Flavor is definitely a notch below most macros I've had. Metallic bitterness does not work. One can hardly associate the bitter qualities of this beer with hops. Faint apple-like sweetness that I've noticed in other lagers that get above 5% abv is not bad. Finish is crisp and clean, which is a plus since the off flavors don't linger. Corn starts to dominate this beer as it warms, but this has the positive effect of lessening the metallic/chemical flavors more present earlier. At this point it finishes more like Corn Flakes.

Very thin feel. Carbonation is fine, but this is a little watery. I could barely find any alcohol on the palate, which is nice.

This isn't horribly bad, but I can't get excited about drinking it whatsoever. I would be much happier taking High Life over this. Not even sure what the point of this beer is for Miller, since High Life packs just as much alcohol. As with just about any alcoholic product, it grows on you as you get intoxicated. If I wanted to get tanked I'm sure I would not care much about the flavor by about beer #3. Probably won't buy again. Even if I get tired of High Life, there are other better choices.

ommegoose, Jul 02, 2008
1.68/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pils glass.
Good 2 finger white head, transparent golden color
Smell is grainy and sweet bready dough. Some mild alcahol fumieness.
Taste is of chalk, mild grassy hops, very very mild. Sour apples, some malty character. Finish is of metallic chalkieness.

Mouthfell...What mouthfeel?

I used to drink this back in college and remember it being full bodied. Whered the body go?

Buebie, Jul 01, 2008
2.7/5  rDev +33%

At 5.5 ABV, this is a nice heavy macro. It goes well with my morning tacos (no I'm not an alcoholic, I work nights), and supplements the Mexican morning cuisine I am so used to. It smells kinda funky, but tastes nice and strong, and goes down smoothly. But, because of the gravity, and the extra bitterness present, it isnt as drinkable as it could be. But, I still enjoy this one nonetheless!

1099, Jun 24, 2008
3.28/5  rDev +61.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been a LOOONG time since I've tried this...about 6 years or so....so I thought I'd give it another shot. Was told by my friendly neighborhood distributor that they just lowered the price...to $11.99 a case for bottles!!! I haven't paid that for bottled beer for YEARS! SO, I'm giving it a whirl now...and Icehouse really isn't that bad! Smoooth...a touch of hops....and very malty. I would much rather have a couple/few of these than a TON of Miller Lite (it's "SISTER BEER") any day! WHY?? Because it makes you feel good QUICK...kinda tastes like an old-time American macro, and has more flavor than the Lite sister! I would recommend this to anyone who's on a budget, and who wants a decent, American macro...for one HELLUVA PRICE!!! OH, they (Plank Road Brewery) claim that they've changed the beer somewhat, recently, so that may just have done the trick to make it better than the days of old. Decent, drinkable, and 5.5% ABV!!! CHEAP, TOO! What more do you need?!?!? Take care and CHEERS my BA FRIENDS!!!

musicjustintime, May 29, 2008
1.65/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

At 5.5% we have a heavyweight macro on our hands? Will it stand up to the best? No. Yellow color and a tan head. Aromas are faint and very grainy. The taste is a bit bitter and stale. The body is light and foamy. Not a very drinkable beer. I think I would have a water or better yet, a stout.

rye726, May 05, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +39.4%

Pale straw with a light fast dissipating head that leaves nothing on the glass.

Smell is corn and adjunct. Metallic with plenty of DMS and sweet corny aroma.

Taste is malty, surprisingly not as bad as the aroma. Sweet adjuncts come through, but not that terrible. A slight sour, tangy flavor on the finish. And....Do I really taste it? Hops? Ever so slight.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp with HUGE carbonation.

Not good at all, but not bad for the price.

wheatyweiss, May 01, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +60.1%

Yellow/Gold crystal clear body that has more color than most in the style. Head is gone in about two seconds with no lacing.

Smells of sweet malt and quite a bit of corn. Perfectly acceptable and expected for the style.

Non-descript sweetness initially with a tiny flash of hops. Slightly metallic finish, though. Even with that little flaw there is more flavor here than most.

Highly carbonated, but should be a little more drying. Must be that residual sugar cloying it up just a bit.

It's certainly not the worst I've ever had. I got a can specifically to review it and because I didn't want any skunk from the bottled version detracting from the beer. Like I said, not bad for the style, but a style that I generally pass on.

bboven, Apr 14, 2008
2.25/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured to a very light yellow with a white head. Head lasted for a little while. Had a little lacing, but nothing to brag about. Didnt really have much of a smell. Just of maybe some grain and a hint of alcohol. Didnt have much of a taste either. Kind of reminded me of water. Kind of flavorless. Felt like water in the mouth. Carbonation was evident and I think it had to much carbonation. If this was your lawnmower beer, it would have to be ice cold. All and all not that bad. Just seemed like your were drinking water. The extra alcohol was evident. So on a hot summer day, you would have to be carefull.

youngleo, Mar 22, 2008
2.2/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm ashamed to admit that i drank this beer, but here we go..Pours a light yellow from a plastic 16 oz bottle. smell is faint with some sweetness. weak ass macro head. super carbonated.

It went down fast. Almost water like. Kind of leaves a cottonmouth feel in the mouth. The aftertaste reminds me of a gross hangover when i was 17 years old. This is a cheapo beer by all means - you can taste the cheapness. But if you want to get all drunk for cheap. go for it! it's not horrible or undrinkable.

righlander, Mar 06, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +37.9%

This one has been "aging" in my fridge for some time. Aging in the sense that it was left in my house months ago and now needs to be removed from the fridge to make room. Here we go.

Appearance:
clear and golden. Very light in color, straw colored.
Sudsy, soapy white head, two fingers. tons of carbonation Looks like any other macro lager. effervescent

Smell:
Funky overcooked grain, corn husks, some kind of syrupy sweetness, not decipherable through the nose.

Taste:
Light, mildly sweet malt with corn-like taste. hop aroma. No discernible hop aroma or flavor. metallic, alcoholic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very light and easy to handle. almost leaves this dry soapy finish in the mouth.

Drinability: Not having too hard of a time getting it down. For a macro lager (and on top of that a 40oz) not too bad. I wouldn't drink this one if giving a choice, but finishing a glass is accomplished with relative ease.

Enjoy.

jayb, Feb 22, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +66.5%

24 oz. can from the 7-11 to accompany my half-smoke with relish, mustard and onions. Chill hazed lazy pee-pee color with a thin soapy head. Aroma of muted corn/ cereal grain. Tasted only faintly corny and otherwise very smooth and clean for a macro (keeping it cold is key). The body is just barely more than light - maybe a quarter of the way from light to medium. It's really quite nice with down market urban economy food. Finish is almost nil with a hint of cereal grain. There is a time and place in my sad life for this beer I'm afraid.

dedrinker, Feb 21, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +45.3%

Poured from a 24oz can into a tall glass. The color of this beer is better than most macros: a more amber than straw color. Head disappears pretty quickly.

Does not smell like much other than macro beer with a faint alcohol note.

This is one of the better tasting macros. This is usually my choice at baseball games, etc. Some character, but not overwhelmingly so. For what this beer is trying to be, it is a good example.

Mouthfeel is not really there at all, but that is a characteristic of this style.

I could drink more of these when I am in the cheap macro-drinking mood that I find myself in sometimes.

MerkinMan, Feb 20, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +25.6%

24 oz. can left over from the previous night's Super Bowl get-together. Pours a slightly darker than usual, crystal clear golden color. Forms a short-lived foamy head that disappears into nothing in no time. Quite fizzy, but that's not really a surprise. Aroma is a basic macro sweet malt/corn combination. Taste is crisp and somewhat bolder than Bud/Miller/Coors with a slight bitterness/metallic taste on the finish. Cheap (in both price & quality) hops notes. Mouthfeel is light & watery. Overall, it's your basic macro lager. Good for getting wasted at a frat party, or if you're between paychecks. Or like last night, it works for washing down buffalo wings while watching football. You can do slightly worse, but SO much better!!!

CJfromPhilly, Feb 09, 2008
2.65/5  rDev +30.5%

A middle of the road cheap macro lager. Looks like the typical, golden/yellow color of a macro. Smells kind of like fermented fruit mixed with metal. One can definitely taste the alcohol in this lager, but not so much after the first one (presumably because all of your tastebuds have been killed). Not the worst I have ever had, but I will never buy it again.

kguyty, Feb 06, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Had this when I was in Louisiana and the place I was at didn't have much of a selection. All BMC stuff (which, this is) but I hadn't heard of this before since it doesn't seem to be distributed in Maine or New England.

Pour is very similar to all macro lagers coming from BMC, except this was was slightly harsher to drink. Smoothness is not there as with most lagers, although there is a crispness contributed from an abundant source of carbonation.

deltatauhobbit, Feb 04, 2008
2.63/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours clear pale straw with a small head. Aroma is mild and somewhat sweet- fairly typical macro smell. Light malt and adjuncts. A touch of grassy hops and a dull sweetness. Smooth light mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable. Overall a very average macro. The only thing that really distinguishes it is the slightly higher than usual abv.

burnstar, Jan 15, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a bottle. Questionable freshness here, since this beer was part of a store variety pack and had considerable dust.

Appearance: light golden color with just a little head that quickly dissipates. There also appeared to be some floating particles after the pour.

Smell: A bit on the weak side, grainy but also a little astringent.

Taste: Very light in my opinion. Not much going on. Malts aren't very impressive and there is only a small hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied.

Drinkability: Not impressed by the taste and texture of this beer- not too drinkable IMO. This beer may appeal to those looking for a quick buzz.

- I will try a fresher version of this beer in the future and will update this review if necessary. As it stands, not very fond of this offering.

coalcracker, Jan 02, 2008

I can honestly say out of drinking probably a thousand different beers this beer gets an award for being in the top ten worst beers I have ever drank! Yuk! A weird grainy malty taste and nothing else! I am hardcore. So when I say a beer is nasty I guarantee you it is! Hopefully in the future the beer industry will create a beer that is high in alcohol, tastes good, low priced, and low in the deadly congeners that are causing health problems in the U.S. and abroad. Beware!

BeerAdvocator, Dec 21, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +76.4%

Icehouse has a special place in my heart because it's the first beer I ever got drunk on. Maybe that's the reason I like the taste of it, but I think it's actually one of the best cheap beers you can buy. Maybe the best. The only other ice beer I like better is Molson. Icehouse is a great beer to get if you're having a party but you don't hate your friends enough to buy Bud Light.

abriggs1, Dec 21, 2007
2.13/5  rDev +4.9%

a: pours a very [ale golden color with a bleach white head that dissapears rather quickly leaving no signs of lacing
s: corn malts, and alcohol, a little watery crispness is also detectable
t: corn malts and alcohol, no hop presence to speak of
m: light to medium bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is not one of my beers of choice however there was one in the fridge and i was feeling bored

happygnome, Dec 16, 2007
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.