Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

2.38/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a crystal clear golden yellow, big fluffy white head forms, settles down to a layer and some lacing on the glass. Good retention for a macro. Smell is sweet with some slight citrus and honey, little bit of grass and grains, some rice. Taste is sweet honey, some citrus and little bit of floral. Clean finish with a little bitterness. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Not a bad macro lager, there are worse.

03-23-2006 00:17:54 | More by Viggo
acrawf6

Louisiana

2.73/5  rDev +33.8%

pours out a decent straw color, small white head goes down quite quickly

Smells. very much a macro aroma. a little sweet maltiness. not bad for the style(and not good either) very typical.

Taste. if any good flavors come out, it would be one the maltier part of it, but it aint malty. adjunct flavor very present. is sweet.

Mouthfeel. i think the 5.5% alc gives it a better mouthfeel than some others. decent carbonation.

Overall i cant tell if i can tolerate it much. It seems decent at times, but i dont know if i could drink this on a weekly basis. not completely bad though, especially for the price. But i do have to say i would choose this over all the other miller products.

03-06-2006 20:08:38 | More by acrawf6
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured this into a pint glass just to see how it looked.
Pale, straw yellow color, but surprisingly it had a nice head. Foaming and laced...then gone. Oh well.
Smell of burnt hops, malt, grains and alcohol.
Taste was a hollow malt, pinot gris type of flavor. Light, fizzy, bad finish.

02-05-2006 04:07:00 | More by Mebuzzard
Drew966

1.83/5  rDev -10.3%

Purchased a twenty four ounce can. This beer pours a pale yellow, with a thick head. Smell is minimal, taste is fairly bland. Good alternative to drinking malt liquor, but not particularly interesting either. I would not recommend this unless you are looking for a cheap, mostly tasteless buzz.

01-25-2006 00:43:32 | More by Drew966
DogFood11

2.03/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller product. 5.5%. 24 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. Dried and bleached straw color. Slightly darker than a miller light. perfectly clear. Fizzy head that fades amazingly quck. Lace is evident for a drink or two.

Adjunct smell and taste. sweet corn, some astringent floral quality that I cant shake. It is crisp like most in this style. Fairly heavy on the carbonation. Light but quenching mouth.

Yeah I like to pick up a sixer of beers I tried in my youth. If for no other reason just to see how my taste have changed, and this isn't all that bad. But when you compare it across the board it is well below average, but drinkable and halfway enjoyable.

01-19-2006 04:26:09 | More by DogFood11
russpowell

Oklahoma

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

Reviewed this on a whim, was offered a take away from a party that I was DD @ (that does suck, but not so much when this the main offering)

Pours golden with a bubbly head that drops off to a thin film pronto. No lacing or head retention

Taste: Graininess & alcohol, slight bitterness followed up by sickening sweetness

MF: Slick and overcarbonated (uurp!!), how bout waving a few more picture of hops at the brew kettle in anger???

I've been plenty of places in the world where this would be considered decent beer ( when I was 16/Egypt), I think I'll pass unless either one of these 2 scenarios repeat themselves

01-07-2006 03:34:30 | More by russpowell
shbobdb

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev +74%

Well now, I'm actually reviewing "icehouse light', but BA doesnt seem to have that available. Frankly, they're both macro adjuct lagers, so the light vs. no light distinction is pretty unimportant. I gotta say . . I'm not hating it. Some of my younger bro's friends gave it to me for free and I'm not complaining. I'd rather a coors light if I'm stuck down this road, but the extra alcohol punch will get me where I'm goin' quicker and I can't begrudge the beer that. Yeah, it tastes lean and watery, not nearly as adjunct-y as a lot of other AmiMacro Lagers I've had. No complaints. Where the beer is free, there can never be any complaints . .

12-21-2005 06:02:03 | More by shbobdb
ChiSox05

1.4/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

That's it, I have made a promise to my soul that I will never put this shit in my body again. It smells awful, like beer that has soured after a kegger with rotting corn and notes of crap. Taste: this swill would be better off with no taste. Dimethyl sulfides and phenolic initially. I get acrid corn, and think Miller said the hell with it, let's see what happens with this malt I found behind the forklift. The only part I wasn't disappointed with was the lack of aftertaste. Still not too drinkable from overbearing carbonation. I can't drink this anymore, Olde E sounds delicious in comparison. Even for this style of beer, Icehouse is wrong. I'm feeling like a genius for bringing my last Alpha King to hop out all of this Icehouse. Bad beer, if you can even call it that. I could brew better in my car trunk.

11-23-2005 16:52:29 | More by ChiSox05
jasonpeckins32

2.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Yes, just like every other macro, its a piss-yellow with some fizz and smells like grains and ass. With that said, I actually like it better than a lot of its counterparts. Its not a good beer, but for what its intended to be, I suppose its not all that bad. One of the first beers I ever started drinking back when I was in high school. If I remember right it was usually icehouse or bud ice. I think we just liked the fact it had a higher abv than busch or miller.

11-22-2005 05:14:00 | More by jasonpeckins32
nekronos

Mexico

3.73/5  rDev +82.8%

VEry simple beer, not bothering, but neither interesting, at least I had my beer at that moment. Foam is present, is not green, at least not remarkably, and it has bubbling, so it is a good Macro Lager after all. I am not so sure if I had tatsed it before in 1999.

10-24-2005 15:19:00 | More by nekronos
nicksta

3.38/5  rDev +65.7%

When it comes to American Macro Lagers Icehouse would have to be my favorite(so far). It is basically all that the beer type, American Macro Lager, can try to be. A taste that isn't to complex or strong, but it is definately there, and it is very drinkable.

I obtained the unusual 22 oz. bottle and pour it into a glass. There wasn't much of a head but it did leave a fair amount of lacing. I enjoyed the smell. Nothing weird. Just the way I imagined the very clear gold liquid to smell. I took a swig that went down very easily, leaving no aftertaste, the way I like it. The taste was pretty good. It wasn't slight like some American Macro's, nor was it funky, trying to be something it is not. Just straight up cereal malts with a little sweetness as if you put sugar on your Cheerios. There is a little bitterness which is due to the hops, or the fact that its ice brewed? Probably the ice brewey-ness. It is thin though, which isn't a plus. On the whole this a cheap beer I love. I hate the camos, hurricanes, etc so if I'm low on cash this is what you might catch me drinking.

10-23-2005 03:57:18 | More by nicksta
cracgor

Probably one of my favorites when it comes to macro lager. It has very little smell to it and appears like you'd expect, but the beer tastes okay. Very weak hop and a decent tasting malty finish. It is very, very clean and refreshing. I can sit around drinking this for awhile without getting tired of the bad aftertaste I associate with many macros. I really don't think there is anything about the beer that is bad.

10-12-2005 13:06:28 | More by cracgor
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

2.15/5  rDev +5.4%

Served up in the lobby of the Embassy Suites in Jacksonville, FL during the free happy hour.

Pours a pale gold but looks downright rich in color next to the Miller Lite my boss had poured for himself. A 1/4 inch snow white head, no lace and soon, no head. Smells lightly grassy and of very light sweet pale malt.

Crisp in the mouth. Some corny flavors, some light grassiness. Just a touch of hops and then it finishes clean, no discernable aftertaste. Very crisp and light on the tongue. No problem at all to drink one down, nothing offensive about it at all.

Pretty good for "free beer" I guess. Stuck in the macro hell that is most of Jacksonville, you could do much worse than this one.

09-28-2005 00:14:26 | More by ViveLaChouffe
daliandragon

2.2/5  rDev +7.8%

I drank kegs of this stuff when it first came out eleven or so years ago. I was in my sophomore year at college and the "Ice Beer" revolution was in full swing. I liked it at the time but I also loved "Friends" and Arkansas basketball..so it was a long time ago. Saw a bottle here in Korea and decided to reminisce..
Dark yellow color, little head, reeks of corn or cereals. Taste is boring, very open and closed. Just that typical big beer taste.
You can't go home again, but I wiil drink it with the homies next time I'm out in Ohio, just for old times sake.

09-14-2005 13:13:34 | More by daliandragon
BEERchitect

Kentucky

2.13/5  rDev +4.4%

Quite ordinary. Not as bad as most Macros, but far from quality. Hightly carbonate and clear yellow. Modestly creamy head that may or may not lace. Grainy sweet aroma with light hop detection. Tastes the same grainy sweet with the addition of cereal grains, decent hop bitter, yet little hop flavor. A grape skin or apple skin flavor. Finish has a grainy bittering. A bit corn sugar sweet in the end. Fairly crisp without drying.

09-13-2005 19:50:28 | More by BEERchitect
SaCkErZ9

2.85/5  rDev +39.7%

Poured from a double deuce can.
Although the appearance and smell are well below average, this is an attractive macro. Not that much stronger than a regular macro, but the taste is pretty nice. No malts or hops to speak of; probably corn. But still, a nice balance with the corn and hops and malt, if there is any.
Sometimes this beer tastes a little sweet and the mouthfeel can get a bit sticky. But I quite like this beer.
Most people would rather drink gasoline than Icehouse, but I quite like it. My favorite cheap beer and beer to get toasty upon.

09-09-2005 03:31:19 | More by SaCkErZ9
tgbljb

2.9/5  rDev +42.2%

poured a very pale yellow color with a bountious white puffy head that would not leave. Smell is almost nothing, with maybe a bit of sweetness present. Taste follow through with a bit of sweetness and a cold refreshing taste. Finishes wet and not much else. Only thing keeping it from being a lawn mower beer is the 5.5% alcohol.

09-04-2005 01:02:47 | More by tgbljb
PBRstreetgang

1.98/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale gold color with an off-white two finger head. Light bodied with good lacing. Aluminum and grain smell with a hint of malt. sweet/sour adjunct taste that gives a good bite. This makes it hard to swallow, and a poor session brew. Plank Road brewery misses the mark again. Your typical "Ice" beer is a hybrid of light lager and malt liquor, I'll choose either before having another Icehouse.

08-04-2005 05:35:30 | More by PBRstreetgang
mynie

Indiana

2.78/5  rDev +36.3%

"Smooth, Never Watered-Down Taste"

Okay.

Decent pour, I guess. A nice big head goes away fast and leaves me with the palest of pale macros.

Adjunct grain and metal. A lot like High Life, actually, only with less grain and more metal. It's a bitter grain, too, whereas Bud and Coors are more sweet. Fairly complex, if nothing else.

Tastes suprisingly decent. Very light hints of fruit followed by grain and weeds. No metal, strange enough.

This is a cheap beer, which I think is where its bad name come from. As far as macros go it's really not bad, though, especially for an incredibly cheap macro.

Horrible gas takes the drinkability down a peg.

08-04-2005 04:37:06 | More by mynie
Barraclou

Quebec (Canada)

Appearance: It pours a very regular pale golden colour with a good white head. No revolution here.

Smell: The aroma is a generic mix of grains and alcohol.

Taste: It is your typical macro flavour, but somewhat fresher than lots of similar brands.

Mouthfeel: It is quite sparky, but fun to drink too.

Drinkability: It is not that bad for a macro. It is easy to get worst from the BMC guys. I didn't fell in love with that beer, but I don't hate neither. If I am stuck in a bar selling only macros, I would mind to have a drink of it again.

08-01-2005 21:16:52 | More by Barraclou
Ricochet

1.73/5  rDev -15.2%

I make a little more money, I wanted RR but it was 5.50 , so I settled on this. Again, I make more money, but habits die hard. The only beer I've sipped from Plank Road was thier red, whatever and thought, even before I started BA, I thought, *this is s*it!* Unusual for me way back in the day. Beast and Natty Light had those distinctions.

So, I swilled this. I wanted something in the bottle. This beer makes me glad that I brought RR the next day, because the taste is WORLDS different and so welcome when compared to this.

It's golden. So typical of every *burp beer* and has a nasty malt liquor smell , that is hard on the nose. I know this is an ice beer, and that is too be expected, but the trouble was, when I tasted this gruel. Mouth was average, it seemed like another beer with a bit of alcoholic bite.

Taste, well, it was grain, adjuncts, and that alcohol that I mentioned. It was hard to sit through, but I did. When ICE COLD and IN BOTTLES this makes it as others said. A cheap beer you can get drunk with if you don't care about taste. Sad but true. Here it is.

Drinkablity: See above. I'd never get this again. Never.

07-22-2005 04:08:01 | More by Ricochet
feloniousmonk

1.95/5  rDev -4.4%

12 ounce can, "smooth, never watered-down taste"...sounds promising?

wan, sallow faintest yellow appearance, head starts big, disappears in a trice.

vacant aroma, slightly sweet and corny,turning sour...

Taste is empty, as well, and not entirely pleasant, either. There's a plastic feel in the texture, body is light as can be, finish is short and none too sweet. Harsh, acrid, grainy-ness dominates what accounts for flavor, and this is revealed to be a thinly disguised alcohol-delivery system, as if we didn't know that already.

As much as I try to complete every sample of every beer I review, this one's gonna have to go down the drain. Not enjoyable, barely tolerable.

07-18-2005 09:06:06 | More by feloniousmonk
maek228

2.8/5  rDev +37.3%

Appearance: Pale Straw Color with a cheap looking head

Smell: Skunky....that's the only way I can put it.

Taste: Crisp carbonation and cheap adjuncts give way immediately to hops that linger with mild bitterness...I want to give this a lower score but for Icehouse it is what I expect...thus I am pleased

Mouthfeel: crisp

Drinkability: For an ice beer....does the trick but it is so bitter and skunky

06-12-2005 05:14:57 | More by maek228
pentathlete

3.13/5  rDev +53.4%

Pressed into service at a local pizza joint, this beer pours the typical light golden, completely clear, but with a nice white head. Some stickiness. Smell is not as corny as some (maybe this was fresher than most, I didn't check) but it does have that somewhat plain grain odor. Taste is mild, uninteresting, but matches the style. Thin mouthfeel but was not watery. There is nothing really wrong with this beer, but if you want something excellent, exciting, or exceptional, then this beer and beers of this style are not what you should be drinking.

05-27-2005 01:55:21 | More by pentathlete
kbnooshay

2.33/5  rDev +14.2%

"It gets you drunk." -Samuel Jackson. Besides that this blows. But really what did we expect. It is cheap but it pours a piss gold color with a yucky head. It smells like chemically booze. While it does have a crisp taste it tastes of molten ass. Not as bad as the beast I guess. Mouthfeel = n/a. Depending where you are in life, this is quite drinkable.

05-24-2005 04:01:58 | More by kbnooshay
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.