Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.95/5  rDev +44.6%

Well I was out at dinner and it was this or bud light. Poured a pale golden yellow with a white foamy head that faded to nothing in mere seconds. No lace and lots of carbonation. Smell was really of nothing, maybe a slight muted corn or grain, but really nothing. The taste was balnd, tolerable when ice cold, but really absolutly nothing to write home about. Overall ehh, not again unless I have to. No life, or profile to it at all.

06-02-2007 01:50:22 | More by mikesgroove
kimcgolf

2.6/5  rDev +27.5%

This is your typical mass-produiced, highly advertised big beer with golden yellow pour, high carbonationa and grainy nose and flavor. Bottom line..it’s an okay beer for the price, when consumed from an ice cold mug on a hot day. Beyond that, let it go.

05-20-2007 13:11:29 | More by kimcgolf
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.98/5  rDev +46.1%

Poured into a nonic glass from a brown long neck bottle with a twist -off cap. Somebody left a sixer of this beer in my fridge don't know why. Figured I give this Marco a review,just to keep it honest.

Clear,pale golden color with a tall creamy white head falling quickly to just a coating,some bits of lacing with some large carbination bubbles rising to the surface, not flat looking like lots of Macros.

Sweet,doughy aroma,grainy/grassy some fruittyness clean and fresh has somewhat of a malt licquior aroma

Clean taste grainy/corn taste,slightly tart with some fruittyness,no offensive tastes like some AB beers. Finishes clean,tart with a light bitterness and a very slight alcohol tinge.

Tangy,grainy mouthfeel with some slight cloying. Not a beer I would buy,but no too bad for a Macro. Used to buy this a lot when it first came out,probably because of the 5.5% and the 6% limit in WV. The things we did when we were young. Still drinkable just couldn't drink lots of these. Wouldn't turn one down if I was thirsty nothing offensive here just not a beer that fits in my fridge.

05-03-2007 02:17:41 | More by jcdiflorio
Cyberkedi

2.53/5  rDev +24%

Aroma is typically beery. Looks like the average straw-yellow US macrobrewed beer. Taste is OK, not bad but not exciting or exceptional either. Both aroma and taste are mainly malty, with just a hint of bitterness. This brew does not have much to it, but it is OK if nothing else is available. Good for parties and sporting events, or for whenever you want a beer but don't want to focus too much on your chug.

05-02-2007 01:18:24 | More by Cyberkedi
Bamabrew22

Alabama

2.8/5  rDev +37.3%

Had one of these last week. Served in a 16 ounce tallboy. Wife made me go cheap at the supermarket, so I chose this instead of the usual BMC offerings. Not much to write home about, but decent, if you gotta drink it.

Appearance: Ultra light, pale, almost platinum with a smallish head and decent retention throughout.

Smell: cooked grains, trace hoppiness.

Taste: carbonated water, with hops and light malt thrown in. unremarkable.

Mouthfeel: Light and quickly fading.

Drinkability: Decent. Nothing exciting, just an easy ultra-light American lager.

04-12-2007 19:06:36 | More by Bamabrew22
prototypic

2.25/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Transparent golden to yellow color. One finger head vanished quickly and left very little lacing down the mug.

Smell: Pretty typical for a macro. It's mostly corn, grains, and slight metallic aroma. A touch of malt and hops, but not much. Very light on smell though. It's tough to pick up much of anything.

Taste: Surprisingly, it has a somewhat crisp taste. The corn and grains are readily apparent. I can taste a little bit of malt in there, but not so much on the hops.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's pretty light bodied. It's crisp and goes down easy. On a hot day, I could take it if it was really cold, but it wouldn't be my beer of choice. But, drinkability is limited simply because it's not very good. Overall, it's tolerable for a macro, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

04-05-2007 01:33:26 | More by prototypic
Neehan

1.63/5  rDev -20.1%

This poured a pale bright gold with a small, thin head and no retention. Tons of carbonation, appearance of a bad champagne. The smell is heavy in poor-quality malts and a burn from the carbonation. Again heavy in malts in the taste, like a malt liquor. Thin and unimpressive in the mouth. The finish is smoother than the rest but nothing noteworthy here.

03-21-2007 03:27:13 | More by Neehan
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

3.45/5  rDev +69.1%

This review covers the 5.5% "full strength" version of this beer (the 3.2% abw version is no longer available in Oklahoma)

Pours to a thin white head that fades to a ring but leaves bits of foam on the side of the glass if you swirl it a bit. Color is pale yellow similar to Pabst or MGD. Aroma is corn, sweet malt and a bit of alcohol. Flavor is clean and a bit sweet, maybe due to the corn, malt and extra alcohol. Finishes dry and clean. This is an economical pale American lager that has no apparent style flaws and fits the style well. A solid citizen.

02-10-2007 00:55:57 | More by EagleTalon
ReebShorts

Washington

2.73/5  rDev +33.8%

12 oz can, poured into a pilsner glass. Clear pale yellow appearance, Decent head on the pour, but that faded away pretty quickly, carbonation bubbles noticeable, but not as much as I expected from an AML.

Aroma of corn husk, grain, mild perfume, and a bit of alcohol.

Other than a slight lingering corny sweetness, this beer is as easy to drink as water. This is an average AML, and a good bet if you are on a budget, or need an easy drinker for caps or beer pong.

01-03-2007 05:33:48 | More by ReebShorts
skivtjerry

Vermont

2.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Got a 6 of this as a Xmas gag gift. I figured I might as well review it to sharpen my tasting skills, as there probably wouldn't be a lot to taste. Pours straw colored with a miniscule head that quickly disappears. Smells of seltzer and a little grain. Hits the tongue with a seltzer taste, then a hint of malt mixed with a taste that reminds me of the aroma from the grain we feed our horses. Upon swallowing, ALL taste disappears! Feels like I just had a sip of water. Not even a good lawnmower beer for the summer months. I will throw it in the back of the fridge for non-beery houseguests. This is still the cleanest tasting, least objectionable Miller product I've ever tasted (not that that happens often; certainly won't anytime soon).

01-01-2007 23:45:41 | More by skivtjerry
rhoadsrage

1.93/5  rDev -5.4%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body with a very light hue of pale yellow with a strong carbonation of big bubbles. The head is a pure snow white with big bubbles pushing through and it fades to a thin ring after a bit.

S- This beer has a very clean smell with a pale sulfury raw grain note with a hint of field corn as it warms. There is a dry hop bitter smell that has no depth and reminds me of what a hop extract might smell like.

T- This beer has a sulfury dry hop bitter flavor that is combined with a carbonic acid finish. There is a very light dry pale malt hint that comes through in the beginning of the taste.

M- This beer has a very light fizzy mouthfeel with a watery texture.

D- This beer has a combo of sulfury dry hops and lots of fizz that is just not very appealing. The fizz is the strongest player in this beer not the malt or the hops.

12-30-2006 02:21:39 | More by rhoadsrage
harpo111

1.45/5  rDev -28.9%

had not tried an ice beer in a while. while i like MGD ok and regular miller high life somewhat....from the standpoint of OK macros (i prefer much heavier stuff...but you can't get it at the quickie mart).
a: looks like ok beer
s: musty, little hint of grain
t: fizzy with a weak grain flavor..very little sweetness
m: fizzy
d: you better have a good one first so you don't taste much of this one.
overall not impressed at all. little flavor, little character...would rather have a plain old miller or bud over this any day...
will not buy again.

11-29-2006 19:29:23 | More by harpo111
xav33

1.13/5  rDev -44.6%

Icehouse
Deuce-Deuce
Recent browing, resided in 11/06
Medium pour in a pint glass.

Poured a slightly pale yellow with a fizzy mostly diminishing white head.

Smelt of faint grain.

Taste was upfront sweet drainage water with maybe hints of grain flavoring followed by an execrable harsh bitter fat man's bat tub water taste. Mouthfeel was light bodied, watery-ish, fizzy and strongly astringent on the finish.

Overall, I never actually tasted this beer until today. I've drank it a few times and thought it was ok, but never *tasted* it. Don't taste it. Just enjoy the buzz.

11-09-2006 06:44:22 | More by xav33
ski271

2.83/5  rDev +38.7%

Pours a medium-pale yellow with a large, white, frothy head that diminishes to a short-lived film and leaves some lacing behind. The smell is nothing special, corn and alcohol are most prominent. The taste is a big improvement over the nose though. Corn and grain of course, but there’s a pleasant maltiness to it and a light hint of hops. The finish is warm and dry, with some alcohol coming on a little stronger but still not too offensive. It has a medium body, dry texture and lively carbonation. Now granted, I wasn’t expecting much from this beer, but I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It wasn’t terrible at all. In fact, it was oddly satisfying. I’d consider giving it an above average rating if it weren’t so corny.

11-05-2006 19:25:58 | More by ski271
Adamthome1

Nebraska

1.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into plastic pint glass from 12 oz. glass bottle. Looked promising, good carbonation and looked full of corn flavor, was hoping for a sweet aftertaste to mask some of the alcohol. Aroma was highly corn and mild alcohol. Found the alcohol taste very powerful, especially as it warmed up under the hot sun. Had to force myself to down the last half of it before it got any warmer. Even when ice cold detected mostly alcohol. There was a good amount of corn flavor though so that helped. Aftertaste was dominated by alcohol and rotten/stale corn.

I'd go with Milwaukee's Best Ice if looking for ice beer, it is as flavourful as Mil Best Original and really does a fantastic job of masking the alcohol content. But why not drink a good malt/double malt beer if looking for high alcohol content though, more flavour to be found there.

11-03-2006 16:29:39 | More by Adamthome1
pmcadamis

2.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Had one of these at my buddies house. Poured from a cold 12 once can into a pint glass.

Smells typical of a macro lager. Some fruity adjuncts and almost undetectable hops. Doesn't really smell like anything in particular. Just smells like cheap lager.

Tastes astoundingly good for such a cheap beer! This is smooth and goes down very easily (although it was my fourth of fifth beer in maybe two hours, so I might be overly generous).

Again, doesn't really taste like much besides light hops and a bit of no altogether unpleasant corny adjuncts.

A great brew if you are looking to save some money and drink quite a few.

10-21-2006 13:53:49 | More by pmcadamis
SkeeterHawk

2.17/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance: Pours a super clear slightly orange golden color with a 1/4" head of tight white bubbles after an aggressive pour. The head sticks around for about 30 seconds to end up as a thin white ring around the top of the beer where it meets the glass. There are a few bubbles rising to keep the ring around the glass. No lacing or not much else to speak of.

Aroma: My initial impression was of some serious corn. My second impression was of some serious corn. Gee, I wonder if there is some serious corn in this one? I don't really get that much else. There is a little bit of hops to give an impression to mix with the corn. The water seems a bit salty to give the hops more backbone. There is a bit of spice in the aroma that I would assume is from Saaz hops rather than from alcohol.

Taste: The flavor isn't quite as corny as I expected. It is still really corn driven, but it isn't like drinking cream corn as I expected it to be from the aroma. There is a bit of a buttery like flavor that I guess is from some toast and caramel malts, though it may be Diacetyl. The flavor borders on metallic with the dryness from the adjuncts leaving no where for the off flavors to hide. The finish is rather wet with some noticeable alcoholic burn that must be because of the lack of substance causing the alcohol to be apparent at only 5.5%.

Opinion: Well, I hate to admit it, but I drank this beer quite a bit before I knew what good beer was. Now that I know, I probably won't finish this glass. This beer is hollow and only has a higher than average alcohol content. I bought this beer as a single bottle, and it is a good thing because I wouldn't want any more of this one. Whew!

10-03-2006 01:52:29 | More by SkeeterHawk
afinepilsner

24oz can

Icehouse was a very clear light golden color with a shortlived fizzy white head. The smell was lightly sweet and grainy. The taste was light and grainy as well with a lightly bitter, dry finish. The mouthfeel was light with medium to high carbonation. Not a good beer.

09-17-2006 03:40:11 | More by afinepilsner
Rudgers73

1.9/5  rDev -6.9%

I've had some pretty dirty beers while I was in college. I can honestly say that I can at least finish an entire can of something I don't like. Until I found Icehouse.

You can't even drink this when your already drunk... It has a malicious odor. It is offensive. It tastes like can mixed with creekwater. It also has enough alcohol in it that it gets the misguided people that drink it really messed up after a six pack of 16 oz cans.

09-06-2006 13:40:13 | More by Rudgers73
HoustonTX

2.5/5  rDev +22.5%

Icehouse!
Poured a clear pale gold color. Large frothy white head.
Smell is not very potent, corn is the most prominent.
Taste is has light sweet malt, and for the 5.5%abv, it balances it well.
Mouthfeel is light, drinkability is average. The 5.5% is well disguised.
An ok Macro.

08-21-2006 02:07:56 | More by HoustonTX
tesguino

Mexico

2.1/5  rDev +2.9%

like most of its resemblances, this beer does not make an impression to me, but this within the spectrum by above of bud and bud light, blond color, defined body slight flavor and with content within standard of alcohol the beers to lager, finishes sending a new image and promotional campaign, to replace its mark, rare in the border but to the aim can be obtained; good for Mexican and American kitchen recommendable 65%

07-28-2006 20:52:50 | More by tesguino
Romulus141

Nebraska

1.48/5  rDev -27.5%

I have very bad memories of this beer. One of my roommates from college bought this on a whim, and although we had a good night, it was due to the alcohol in the beer, and not to its taste and characteristics.

Appearance: It's a pale yellow color that doesn't retain head. Looks like a typical macro brew.

Smell: Bitter, sour smell. My roommate broke one of the bottles by accident as we were loading them in the refridgerator, and it was a big tip-off to me that this was not a high-quality beer, despite its mid-range price.

Taste: Horrible. It has the bite of Molson Canadian, but is much more bitter and has a lingering aftertaste. I cringed as I took sips from my first bottle. It had a metallic taste if I recall too. No redeeming wheaty taste to be found here. Between the smell and the taste, I had a hard time dealing with this one.

Mouthfeel: Thin and oily, like typical macro brews.

Drinkability: I had to choke this down. This was just flat out bad, and there is no way I'll ever drink it again.

07-11-2006 20:44:10 | More by Romulus141
Blakaeris

1.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours completely clear very pale golden color. Modest white foamy head.

Smell is very thin and is dominated by sweet macro corn with no hop bitterness at all.

Taste has very light maltiness. Not as cloyingly sweet as the nose. finish has a very mild bitterness with a lingering sweet residue.

Mouthfeel is light and watery.

Typical macro. Watery and virtually tasteless.

07-10-2006 00:08:20 | More by Blakaeris
bashiba

Iowa

Poured a dull yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smell was ultra light with some hints of malts.

Taste had some very mild malt flavors with a strong corn taste, very cereal like. Trace amount of hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel was light and thin with lots of carbonation.

Typical mass produced swill, nothing unusual here.

07-09-2006 23:56:02 | More by bashiba
spiffysamurai

Maine

This beer is just terrible. First off I got it skunked and the fact that it is so cheap should set off some lights. Anyways I was dared to drink one for ten dollars and god for bid after i drank this shitty beer the ten dollars wasn't worth it. The color looked worse then piss, well actually at first I thought it was piss. Well not really but this beer was just utterly disgusting looking. It was all down hill from there. Yes I got my ten dollars but in retrospect it wasn't worth it. Beware of shitty beer.

07-06-2006 02:22:09 | More by spiffysamurai
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.