Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
2.58/5  rDev +27.7%

Good 'ol icegrouse...takes me back to high school days. Pours an extraordinarily clear light gold color with a loud, fizzy white head that disappears very quick and leaves no lace.

Smells like a can of sweet creamed corn poured over a few slices of green apple. Has a pretty big nose for an AAL, but that is not necessarily a good thing here.

Drinking this at almost 50 degrees was my first mistake. This puppy needs to be consumed at the coldest possible temperature to choke it down. Sweet with a noticeable fruity alcohol presence. The grains are fairly husky and rough and there is not really any hop presence to balance things out. Icehouse is a pretty typical higher abv offering from the macros...not really meant to be enjoyed for the flavor, but makes an efficient alcohol delivery system.

1.95/5  rDev -3.5%

Not much to say about this one. Just a run of the mill macro. Very watered down, low abv, fizzly carbonation, transparent straw in color. Corn and grain along with a cereal and metallic note comprise the nose and flavor. Avoid, plenty of better adjucts to be had

4.13/5  rDev +104.5%

This is the first time I have had this beer and I am presently surprised. After being hooked on Red Dog ( I'm strapped for cash, so cheap 40's for me!) I didn't think this would fair much better, but I have found a new love. The taste is nothing special but it does wonders after a hard day of work. Smell is pleasantly sweet and nice. I'm quite fond of this beer and will most definitely purchase Icehouse again. Good job "Plank Road."

2.98/5  rDev +47.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed a can of this at the local grocery for a little over $1.

Pours a crystal clear pale yellow with plenty of bubbles rising through. There's a good-sized frothy white head resting on top. Good retention, little lacing. Smells sour and mashy. Hints of grains and Cheerios.

The mouth is a little thin; I thought there'd be a bit more carbonation on the tongue. This is a decent refreshing lager. Nothing harsh about this at all. Some buttered bread and corn flavor is about all I'm getting, but it's more flavorful than any of the other BMC lager mainstays. Not bad for the beach, but I most likely won't get this again.

3.43/5  rDev +69.8%

cheap 12 pack of btls is seven bucks
A:pours pale yellow with lots of bubbles and carbination with a fast disipating very fizzy head
S: smells like corn and weird chemical adjunct lager smell with no hops come through in the nose
T: great very corny up front almost nut like sweetness no real hops bitterness exept the drying bready taste lingering in the mouth after but great taste
M: this beer is very light and crispy and watery feels like it has body when it goes down your throat though weird
D: this beer is refreshing and easy drink when its a hot summer day so it does what it is supposed to do i like this beer dont think it deserves a d though maybe c-

1.25/5  rDev -38.1%

Out of a forty bottle this beer was a perfectly clear gold color. The one-finger of off-white head retained well as a collar and left impressive lacing in sheets. The aroma was distinctly unpleasant, macro grains, stale grains, skunky malt and wet wood. The flavors were no better. Dry, grainy, skunky and boring. The mouthfeel was rough and a little slick, the body medium and the carbonation medium. I was not happy to have a full forty of this to deal with. I always hate to fail a beer but this one sucked in several categories, especially the flavor one that matters.

2.78/5  rDev +37.6%

22 oz can with freshness date on bottom. Poured into Pint glass.
A: Pours a pale yellow with medium carbonation and regular white fluffy head. Head almost immediately goes away but leaves irregular lacing.
S: Not much hear. Malt and grains are faint.
T/M: kinda malty with a watery taste. I can feel the carbonation in the mouth. Lite bitterness is ok. Crisp and refreshing. ok aftertaste.
D: Leaves me wanting more. For the price i don't think it gets better than this. I could kill a bunch of these. It's really a party beer but actually rivals many macro brews. ABV is good because of the Ice brewing process.

Cheers!!

2.9/5  rDev +43.6%

A: Pours a very pale, crystal clear yellow color. Lots of active carbonation is bubbling up. The head is tall, off-white, and foamy, with decent retention. Some patches of lacing left on the glass.

S: A textbook, generic "beer" aroma. Some sweet malt and a white corn aroma. A faint leafy hop character. Slightly acrid and metallic.

T: Grainy, slightly sweet malt. It has the white corn flavor in the background, but it's less offensive than many similar bargain-basement macros. Again, a mildly leafy hop flavor providing a slight bitterness. Rather clean; it's evident that this is cut from the Miller cloth.

M: Medium body; slightly fuller than many of its cousins, probably due to the somewhat higher alcohol. Fairly crisp, with moderate carbonation.

D: This is surprisingly adequate. For a bargain ice beer from Miller, easily drinkable and inoffensive. It's not a good beer, but it is a complete beer. It at least achieves mediocrity, if only coincidentally.

2.1/5  rDev +4%

I am simply doing the CAN-CAN today. Every time that I think that I have had all of the widely-available beers in a CAN, one more pops up in a cooler, beckoning me to lay waste on its shoals.

My first thought was that the big boys sure can make a pretty beer. It had a fluffy finger's worth of bone-white head with decent retention. The nose was pretty weak with a mild lager sweetness deep down, but it was not readily obvious. The color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Again, think pretty, not good. Mouthfeel was on the thin side with a very unobtrusive flavor on the tongue. In fact, my tastebuds decided to take a break at one point and wait for something to happen. It never did. The finish just went down like tap water. This was not an evil beer, like many that I have tried in cans. It was simply ho-hum boring.

2.75/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pale straw yellow color. Poured less than 1 finger stark white head that dissipated quickly to a broken skim. Decanted continually. Minimal lacing.

S: Wet grains and corn adjunct. Hops were not detectable.

T: Too similar to smell with little malt character coming through. A faint astringent quality.

M: Light body. Ample carbonation. Crips and fairly dry.

D: But for the carbonation, goes down easy and fast.

2.6/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I used to pound the living daylights outta these in my younger days so for nostalgias sake I've decide to sample one for a review.

After cracking a can and pouring into a pint glass I get an eyefull of this golden nectar. Smells of corn/malt. Taste is sweet with a decent bite. The mouthfeel is very basic beer standard. Goes in goes down. Nothing to get upset over.

Overall it was a standard for my roomate in college so I crushed my fair share. I can still see havin a few now. There's worse beer out there.

2.7/5  rDev +33.7%

Review #400!

Poured a 12oz can into my Sam Adams perfect pour pint glass. This beer pours a light clear straw with a nice 2 inch white fish eyed head leaving no lacing. The aroma is canned corn, a bit of sugar, and fresh corn. The flavor is right up the same line. The is definite flavors of corn, an odd aspartame sweetness, just a hint of of grass, and a bit of booze. The mouthfeel, in my opinion is the saving grace for most AAL's but this one blows it. It finishes overly sweet and not dry at all. I like my AAL's to finish really dry leaving the palate wanting some more. This one completely lacks the quality. If it wasn't for how crappy the mouthfeel is, this would be a pretty average Macro Lager.

2.5/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz can of this magnificent stuff poured into a Stella Artois glass.

Appearance was very dishwasher/pallid yellow with a decent to sub-par level of head. Nothing impressive at all about this beer, but for $6.99 a 12 pack, that isn't the particular quality it's going for, right?

Smell was grainy, with high levels of corn and a twist of paint thinner/metal thrown in the bunch. Not really impressive at all.

Taste was just like it smelled: high in corn with a tinge of paint thinner. While it is a stronger brew, it certainly is nothing to write home about.

Mouthfeel was decent. For an albeit foul tasting beer, it kept all its flavor retention with each sip. While certainly far from a quality beer, this isn't the worst stuff on the planet and it does its job in a pinch.

Drinkability is decent. You can kill a whole case of this stuff in a matter of hours with friends, as well as drink it for good times. Otherwise this is a College 101 class beer for the student masses.

1.95/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

When I was new to the world of alcoholic beverages. Which was around the age of 21. This used to be my go to beer. I liked the price and the lightly sweet corn flavor of it. For whatever reason I stopped drinking Icehouse and forgot about it. Now about two-three years later, I've picked up a bottled six pack and am about to try it again.

Ok, it pores a cheap looking amber mixture. There is quite a bit of thin white foam developing. Smelling it, it's got a lightly sweet and bitter corn smell to it. It smells just slightly better than a cheap malt liquor. The taste has is fairly bad. There is a lot of corn flavor with a light slightly spicy hop finish. Not very desirable or refreshing.

Overall, I'd give this a D. It's a step above a Malt Liquor of some kind, but you'd probably be better off sticking to a malt liquor than this stuff.

3.23/5  rDev +59.9%

A pretty average beer for a low price. I'm in college so sometimes its all I can afford. Poured out of bottle into a normal pint glass there is some head but it fades rather quickly with literally no lacing at all. The smell is of any light beer although this one isn't. The taste is about the same as the smell, very light followed by the alcohol. Not much here but its a beer that I could drink a few of.

4.18/5  rDev +106.9%

Was visiting in South Carolina and picked up a can in the grocery store. I didn't get to pour into a glass so not sure about the appearance. The smell was very good and the taste was refreshing. I had only one but wished that I could have had several. Normally I like a more complex taste but on that warm day it hit the spot perfectly.

2.65/5  rDev +31.2%

Good old Icehouse. I've never really gotten the appeal of "ice" beers. Just throw your glass in the freezer and drink a session lager out of it. you'll make your own ice beer, and it'll actually be pretty good.

A - A shade darker than corn oil. Head composed of large bubbles is there and gone with little lacing to speak of.

S - Adjunct grains and corn. Faint alcohol.

T - Cereal grains first, then a tiny ping of hops way in the background. Slightly malty on the opening, relatively clean finish. Nothing to go nuts over, but not horrible either.

M - Steady carbonation, light bodied, average.

D - As with most macros, drinkability for the masses is their M.O. not offensive, but not terribly stimulating either. A solid "C" in this category.

1.73/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - I am reviewing based on style, and still below average. No head retention, what little head there is, absolutely no lacing.

S - Smells like what i remember beer smelling like at baseball games as a kid, cheap yeast smell, and cheap grains.

T - Much like the smell. Actually more watery. Lots of corn grains. A funky taste too that I can't place that lingers as an aftertaste. Pretty skunky taste too. Not the worst adjunct I have ever had, but not a good one.

M - Very overcarbonated. Its like club soda with more carbonation, and the carbonation bubbles are much finer.

D - Not reaching for this again anytime soon.

Not the worst beer I have ever had, but on the list. Just not good. I can get better beer cheaper than this that may not have as much abv but is far superior.

1.2/5  rDev -40.6%

This is still made? I remember this was one of the first "Ice" beers to be heavily advertised years ago so maybe they got market share early and kept it.

It tastes like skunky beer. It also has one of the lowest ABV% for an ice beer so getting drunk even takes more painful tasting than other ice beers.

1.95/5  rDev -3.5%

A- Pours corn chip yellow with thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing.

S- Slight corn scent with a metallic smell coming through (even though I poured it from a bottle!)

T- Nothing much to it, very watery with hints of corn and grass.

M- Ok carbonation without much of an aftertaste (which is the best characteristic).

D- Not great, it is quite watery for a beer with a high ABV so I guess that should help it's drinkability but I personally am not rushing to grab another.

2.63/5  rDev +30.2%

Poured into pint glass. Blue can that states: Brewed Colder, Brewed Longer.

Poured into pint glass.

Is it me or do all macro lagers look, smell, and taste the same? Pours a one finger head, no retention, no lace. Color is the same clear straw yellow.

Smell is very grainy and corn like. Taste is similar, but taste seemed a little skunky almost. Very boring taste.

Mouthfeel is not as crisp as most marcos. Ends pretty clean, which happens to be the best part of this beer. Well carbonated.

Overall, nothing I would buy. I got this from a friend, I mean it's not the worst, but it's just not craft.

2.38/5  rDev +17.8%

As the beer went into the cup, I saw that the liquid was yellow. The head dissipated rather quickly to just a sudsy layer on the top. The aroma was that of good ol' beer. It had a sort of smell like I smelled when I was a kid and went to the local tavern with my uncle (gasp!) As soon as you entered the bar, it smelled like this.

The first sip surprisingly had some flavor to it. What that flavor was, I couldn't tell you. It was definitely beer with some stimulus to the taste buds, but there was nothing there I could distinctively point out as a good beer flavor. I'd venture to say that if a company could brew, market and sell a beer named "Generic Beer," this is the real life equivalent. It's beer with nothing else.

This beer is definitely a buzz beer. With a taste that doesn't get in the way of a good party with lots of friends sleeping on the living room floor, this is the beer to get. This is cheap beer with only one intent. And with an ABV of 5.5% it fits the bill nicely.

Icehouse doesn't taste bad. It just doesn't taste good. There's nothing here that I can say turned me off to this beer. It's plain, old, beer. It is better than Bud Light, I will admit. For me, this beer is a waste of time. But not a waste of money. You will, however, be a waste if you drink enough of these beers.

1.93/5  rDev -4.5%

Seeing this takes me back to the mid 90's. Long before I ever heard of craft beer. I thought the 5.5% was awesome! Now it's like Kool Aid. But I'm on a budget and the nostalgia won out.

Pours an almost completely clear shade of gold. Decent head came up but there wasn't a floating bubble in sight to help out. Lasted almost 30 seconds. Not good.

Smells of sour malts, corn. Not good.

Taste is also not good. Watered down vomit. Very watered down at least, but still vomit. Not good.

Mouthfeel is not good. Drinkability depends on your budget. What do you expect for $1.49 a 24oz can?

Overall: not good

2.78/5  rDev +37.6%

A- pours a clear straw color with a decent foamy head.

S- faintly sweet malt with a hint of alcohol.

T- Very bland malt/hop taste. Not much going on here.

M- Light, watery body. Slightly overcarbonated.

D- OK, watery and very bland even by macro standards. Decent if you're looking for a cheap buzz.

2.73/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured from a 24oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is kind of faint but contains mostly adjuncts and light malts along with a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is pretty well-balanced for the style with flavors of grain, adjuncts and the usual macro sweetness. There's a very mild hops presence. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very flavorful but better than most macros, goes down very easily since there isn't much to it, likewise not filling at all, decent kick, good representation of a Fizzy Yellow Beer but taking it for what it is, I think it's not too bad compared to other beers of it's kind.

Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.