Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev +31.2%

A middle of the road cheap macro lager. Looks like the typical, golden/yellow color of a macro. Smells kind of like fermented fruit mixed with metal. One can definitely taste the alcohol in this lager, but not so much after the first one (presumably because all of your tastebuds have been killed). Not the worst I have ever had, but I will never buy it again.

1.95/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this when I was in Louisiana and the place I was at didn't have much of a selection. All BMC stuff (which, this is) but I hadn't heard of this before since it doesn't seem to be distributed in Maine or New England.

Pour is very similar to all macro lagers coming from BMC, except this was was slightly harsher to drink. Smoothness is not there as with most lagers, although there is a crispness contributed from an abundant source of carbonation.

2.62/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours clear pale straw with a small head. Aroma is mild and somewhat sweet- fairly typical macro smell. Light malt and adjuncts. A touch of grassy hops and a dull sweetness. Smooth light mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable. Overall a very average macro. The only thing that really distinguishes it is the slightly higher than usual abv.

1.83/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a bottle. Questionable freshness here, since this beer was part of a store variety pack and had considerable dust.

Appearance: light golden color with just a little head that quickly dissipates. There also appeared to be some floating particles after the pour.

Smell: A bit on the weak side, grainy but also a little astringent.

Taste: Very light in my opinion. Not much going on. Malts aren't very impressive and there is only a small hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied.

Drinkability: Not impressed by the taste and texture of this beer- not too drinkable IMO. This beer may appeal to those looking for a quick buzz.

- I will try a fresher version of this beer in the future and will update this review if necessary. As it stands, not very fond of this offering.

I can honestly say out of drinking probably a thousand different beers this beer gets an award for being in the top ten worst beers I have ever drank! Yuk! A weird grainy malty taste and nothing else! I am hardcore. So when I say a beer is nasty I guarantee you it is! Hopefully in the future the beer industry will create a beer that is high in alcohol, tastes good, low priced, and low in the deadly congeners that are causing health problems in the U.S. and abroad. Beware!

3.57/5  rDev +76.7%

Icehouse has a special place in my heart because it's the first beer I ever got drunk on. Maybe that's the reason I like the taste of it, but I think it's actually one of the best cheap beers you can buy. Maybe the best. The only other ice beer I like better is Molson. Icehouse is a great beer to get if you're having a party but you don't hate your friends enough to buy Bud Light.

2.15/5  rDev +6.4%

a: pours a very [ale golden color with a bleach white head that dissapears rather quickly leaving no signs of lacing
s: corn malts, and alcohol, a little watery crispness is also detectable
t: corn malts and alcohol, no hop presence to speak of
m: light to medium bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is not one of my beers of choice however there was one in the fridge and i was feeling bored

1.8/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that dissipates quickly

S - Very light malt corn and some alcohol

T - Not too much of anything good

M - Theres a lot of carbonation in this one

D - I remember this being better than it actually is when I had it a few years back and this will be the last time I pick it up

2.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Perhaps the nice thing about Icehouse is that it doesn't taste bad, it just has little taste. No need to pour it out of bottle or can, there's no missing flavor unlocked in a glass. The color is straight yellow and very light at that. There's hardly any smell, as you get the feeling quickly you're drinking an American light beer, but they've replaced some water w/ alcohol (5.5% abv). Not bad for a pitcher when you're eating wings, but other than that you're just asking for a stomach ache and bells in the brain if you're chillin' with this.

Had this at a friends house not too long ago and just now getting to it. The appearance is pale yellow with little white head that fell quickly leaving now lace. Smell is non-existant for the most part..maybe some of the adjuncts in there...not much else. Taste is bland. Overall the beer is bland and like all macros as it warms is terrible, bordering on undrinkable. Great for quenching your thirst when hot and sweaty and you're out of water...other than that...I don't think so

A- Yellow with hues of faint orange.

S- Smells of some hops, but I get the "doctors office" smell from this one. You know what I mean.

T- Taste is stale, but strong alcohol taste. Nothing to mask it or cover it up

M- Carbonation is there, and a touch of malt. Not much on the chewy, but a little better than light beers.

D- I always have had tremdous hangovers off this stuff with bad headaches.

We went to Gatlinburg, TN for a trip to the Smoky Mountains. While we were waiting to be seated at the restaurant of our choosing, we went across the street to have a beer. What a poor choice of bars! I forget the name of the place but they only had Miller Lite on tap.... so I asked about the bottle selection. The bartender speeled off every BMC offering and nothing even remotely micro.... The last one he said was Icehouse.... I'd never had one, so I thought I'd try it.

It poured out from the 12 oz brown bottle into a pilsner glass. The label was quite proud of the 5.5% abv.... there to advertise that you could get drunk quicker on this than most 4% macros....

The head formed rapidly and disappeared just as rapidly leaving no lace. The beer was typical light yellow.

Smell: What smell? Only faint grain

Taste? Watered down lager with no redeeming taste... bland.... grainy.

Mouthfeel: fizzy lager.

Drinkability: Never again... Yeah you could drink this all day.... but why would you?

1.38/5  rDev -31.7%

snaged a can of this from a buddy of mine, just wanted to try it. this was a mistake.
drank it out of the can so no appearance on this one.

just smelled bad.

taste was worse. the most repulsive taste I have ever tasted from any drink. kinda tasted like it sat on a piece of rotted wood for several weeks and then was found to be served after it was long expired.

nothing is good about this beer at all. the mouth feel was the only thing that allowed me to nearly finsh this one... it wasn't too bad.

overall if you call this drinkable then you need to try other options, even in cheap beers. I couldn't finsh 1 can and thats on my college budget taste. Horrible.

3.05/5  rDev +51%

I hate to admit it but as far as drinking at home goes this is what I have on the regular. I get it in the 40oz bottle at the bodega down the street. $1.59 a forty. I pour it into a bar glass when I'm drinking it, then refrigerate the rest of the 40 until I need another glass.

This beer is cheap and packs a bit of a wallop. I'm in Nashville so there is no point in going for the funky malt liquors as every macro is south of 6%, including the malt liquors. The micros over 6% are sold in liquor stores.

This beer is perfectly inoffensive, an important characteristic in a cheap macrolager. It has almost no taste, a bit of alcohol and a smattering of bitterness. It goes down like water and thats the reason to drink it if your going for a cheap buzz and can't stomach malt liquor.

1.92/5  rDev -5%

24 oz. can, bought for $1.29, at a corner liquor store,

A: Pours a pale, fizzy, yellow, the head dissipates quickly, after the second pour, it doesn't last much past 2 seconds.

S: Some faint corn hints and a bit of malt, some alcohol, but very light overall.

T: The beer is almost completely devoid of flavour, which makes the alcohol content, even at 5.5% the major flavour, some corn is also there.

M: Not bad for a macro, fizzy, but bordering on medium-bodied, not as watery as I would have expected.

D: If this is a beer to drink fast to get drunk, Miller is not doing a very good job, I just got bored with it by the middle of the can.

1.94/5  rDev -4%

Busch Beer had it's turn yesterday, making Icehouse the beer for today here in the College Invitational. Made by the Plank Road Brewery according to the can label, but we all know Miller is the one behind this. Served right out the fridge and into a stange, on to the beer:

Typical pale gold color with a nice foamy head on top. Corn and some funky processed sweet scent (reminds me of Tab soda) are in the smell, not much else. We now get to the meat and potatoes of this beer and find no offensive flavors, pretty clean. That's the good news. Unfortunately, I was wondering when the beer flavor went. Maybe it ran away because I can't find it. The extra slap of alcohol from this brew is slighly felt on the palate, but more so in the throat. It creates a little bit of bitterness and zip to what is a pretty blah taste.

I want to stop, but I can't. I must press on to rate it's "buzzability" (a special side challenge here in the College Invitational). I'm giving the Buzzability a 3 for this beer.

Two down, two to go. Natural Ice is coming up soon.

2.53/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a two finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and poor lacing.

The smell featured a boiled sweet corn and a husky grain.

The taste upfront sweet corn malt with a gradual shift to a heavy graininess.

The mouthfeel was average with a dry finish.

Overall an average middle of the road macro.

2.1/5  rDev +4%

Pours the usual light yellow color with a lingering head. Aroma is strong and there's a bit more corn flavor but not by much. Taste is much of the same except that it's stronger, somewhat bitter and leaves a bland aftertaste. Burns a bit going down as well. Haven't had Icehouse in years and I'm reminded of why I stopped drinking it in the first place.

2.28/5  rDev +12.9%

Lets be honest okay.
This beer is amazing if your low on cash.

Im gonna save you a long story about this one.

Bought a 12 pack for the 4th and got it for about 6 bucks flat.

Smell isnt that great the taste isnt too bad and the mouthfeel is better than, Oh.... Regular Busch. To compare.

The taste is great for a cheaper beer. I would gladly drink this over Regular bud any day of the week.

Its chaper. It taste better.
Its worth a shot.

This beer deserves this rating for what it is.

No more no less.
Always easy on the pocket.

TRY IT!

2.35/5  rDev +16.3%

i purchased this just before a 95 degree day of golfing. it was icehoused down in ze coola.

i thought is was pretty decent. it got me fucked up. either that or the combination of the beer and the sun. not bad for an ice beer.

worth a try in order to put another notch in the belt. oh yeah, it was pretty cheap too. not as cheap or as drinkable (for me) as Milwaukee Beast Ice. the same brewer but different beer.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

2.73/5  rDev +35.1%

I've been wanting to try this (beleave it or not).
I bought this for its value, .99 cents for the can pictured.
A hot day is a good start.

It poured a good golden color with slight copper hues. Not as water like in color as say an AB.
The head was about an inch, white with some lace at first. The carbonation was fair, not the fizz.

The aroma typical malty grain, corn grass.

The taste was malty grain with a burnt aftertaste, not a true toasted flavor. Some corn, metal, very little hop.

Overall a typical mac in a can. I was hopeing for more. Even as a mower brew. Best when cold. Icehouse Cold!

2.68/5  rDev +32.7%

This is not an awful beer, at first anyway.It at least has a smell that is not completely skunked, just opened it smells pretty good, a faint sharp alcohol smell. Appearance is clear and light golden yellow. Taste is crisp and clean and I kind of like it, a bit of corn in the finish.

Then it warms a bit. It goes from being a pleasant 'lawnmower' beer to awful swill.A shame really as cold it's one of the better macros.

2.37/5  rDev +17.3%

Sampled at (where else?) the Miller Ale House in Coral Springs. Might as well review it. One of those nights that $1 pints seemed like a good idea.

Appearance is wholly lacking in any kind of head - so obviously no retention or lacing. Very clear, but an unattractive yellow color.

Smell is light, lagery. Grain, sweet, and a hint of alcohol - this is an "ice" beer after all.

Taste is next to nonexistent. Slight malt, no hops flavor - just a little bitterness - and a faint touch of fruit.

Mouthfeel is light. Looked flat, but carbonation was actually fine.

Drinkability makes me wonder why I'm a beer-drinker tonight - and why I'm at this place again.

2.92/5  rDev +44.6%

Well I was out at dinner and it was this or bud light. Poured a pale golden yellow with a white foamy head that faded to nothing in mere seconds. No lace and lots of carbonation. Smell was really of nothing, maybe a slight muted corn or grain, but really nothing. The taste was balnd, tolerable when ice cold, but really absolutly nothing to write home about. Overall ehh, not again unless I have to. No life, or profile to it at all.

2.56/5  rDev +26.7%

This is your typical mass-produiced, highly advertised big beer with golden yellow pour, high carbonationa and grainy nose and flavor. Bottom line..it’s an okay beer for the price, when consumed from an ice cold mug on a hot day. Beyond that, let it go.

Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.