Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,106 | Reviews: 351
1.74/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pils glass.
Good 2 finger white head, transparent golden color
Smell is grainy and sweet bready dough. Some mild alcahol fumieness.
Taste is of chalk, mild grassy hops, very very mild. Sour apples, some malty character. Finish is of metallic chalkieness.

Mouthfell...What mouthfeel?

I used to drink this back in college and remember it being full bodied. Whered the body go?

2.66/5  rDev +31.7%

At 5.5 ABV, this is a nice heavy macro. It goes well with my morning tacos (no I'm not an alcoholic, I work nights), and supplements the Mexican morning cuisine I am so used to. It smells kinda funky, but tastes nice and strong, and goes down smoothly. But, because of the gravity, and the extra bitterness present, it isnt as drinkable as it could be. But, I still enjoy this one nonetheless!

3.3/5  rDev +63.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been a LOOONG time since I've tried this...about 6 years or so....so I thought I'd give it another shot. Was told by my friendly neighborhood distributor that they just lowered the price...to $11.99 a case for bottles!!! I haven't paid that for bottled beer for YEARS! SO, I'm giving it a whirl now...and Icehouse really isn't that bad! Smoooth...a touch of hops....and very malty. I would much rather have a couple/few of these than a TON of Miller Lite (it's "SISTER BEER") any day! WHY?? Because it makes you feel good QUICK...kinda tastes like an old-time American macro, and has more flavor than the Lite sister! I would recommend this to anyone who's on a budget, and who wants a decent, American macro...for one HELLUVA PRICE!!! OH, they (Plank Road Brewery) claim that they've changed the beer somewhat, recently, so that may just have done the trick to make it better than the days of old. Decent, drinkable, and 5.5% ABV!!! CHEAP, TOO! What more do you need?!?!? Take care and CHEERS my BA FRIENDS!!!

1.68/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

At 5.5% we have a heavyweight macro on our hands? Will it stand up to the best? No. Yellow color and a tan head. Aromas are faint and very grainy. The taste is a bit bitter and stale. The body is light and foamy. Not a very drinkable beer. I think I would have a water or better yet, a stout.

2.75/5  rDev +36.1%

Pale straw with a light fast dissipating head that leaves nothing on the glass.

Smell is corn and adjunct. Metallic with plenty of DMS and sweet corny aroma.

Taste is malty, surprisingly not as bad as the aroma. Sweet adjuncts come through, but not that terrible. A slight sour, tangy flavor on the finish. And....Do I really taste it? Hops? Ever so slight.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp with HUGE carbonation.

Not good at all, but not bad for the price.

3.23/5  rDev +59.9%

Yellow/Gold crystal clear body that has more color than most in the style. Head is gone in about two seconds with no lacing.

Smells of sweet malt and quite a bit of corn. Perfectly acceptable and expected for the style.

Non-descript sweetness initially with a tiny flash of hops. Slightly metallic finish, though. Even with that little flaw there is more flavor here than most.

Highly carbonated, but should be a little more drying. Must be that residual sugar cloying it up just a bit.

It's certainly not the worst I've ever had. I got a can specifically to review it and because I didn't want any skunk from the bottled version detracting from the beer. Like I said, not bad for the style, but a style that I generally pass on.

2.26/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured to a very light yellow with a white head. Head lasted for a little while. Had a little lacing, but nothing to brag about. Didnt really have much of a smell. Just of maybe some grain and a hint of alcohol. Didnt have much of a taste either. Kind of reminded me of water. Kind of flavorless. Felt like water in the mouth. Carbonation was evident and I think it had to much carbonation. If this was your lawnmower beer, it would have to be ice cold. All and all not that bad. Just seemed like your were drinking water. The extra alcohol was evident. So on a hot summer day, you would have to be carefull.

2.16/5  rDev +6.9%

I'm ashamed to admit that i drank this beer, but here we go..Pours a light yellow from a plastic 16 oz bottle. smell is faint with some sweetness. weak ass macro head. super carbonated.

It went down fast. Almost water like. Kind of leaves a cottonmouth feel in the mouth. The aftertaste reminds me of a gross hangover when i was 17 years old. This is a cheapo beer by all means - you can taste the cheapness. But if you want to get all drunk for cheap. go for it! it's not horrible or undrinkable.

2.76/5  rDev +36.6%

This one has been "aging" in my fridge for some time. Aging in the sense that it was left in my house months ago and now needs to be removed from the fridge to make room. Here we go.

Appearance:
clear and golden. Very light in color, straw colored.
Sudsy, soapy white head, two fingers. tons of carbonation Looks like any other macro lager. effervescent

Smell:
Funky overcooked grain, corn husks, some kind of syrupy sweetness, not decipherable through the nose.

Taste:
Light, mildly sweet malt with corn-like taste. hop aroma. No discernible hop aroma or flavor. metallic, alcoholic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very light and easy to handle. almost leaves this dry soapy finish in the mouth.

Drinability: Not having too hard of a time getting it down. For a macro lager (and on top of that a 40oz) not too bad. I wouldn't drink this one if giving a choice, but finishing a glass is accomplished with relative ease.

Enjoy.

3.33/5  rDev +64.9%

24 oz. can from the 7-11 to accompany my half-smoke with relish, mustard and onions. Chill hazed lazy pee-pee color with a thin soapy head. Aroma of muted corn/ cereal grain. Tasted only faintly corny and otherwise very smooth and clean for a macro (keeping it cold is key). The body is just barely more than light - maybe a quarter of the way from light to medium. It's really quite nice with down market urban economy food. Finish is almost nil with a hint of cereal grain. There is a time and place in my sad life for this beer I'm afraid.

2.89/5  rDev +43.1%

Poured from a 24oz can into a tall glass. The color of this beer is better than most macros: a more amber than straw color. Head disappears pretty quickly.

Does not smell like much other than macro beer with a faint alcohol note.

This is one of the better tasting macros. This is usually my choice at baseball games, etc. Some character, but not overwhelmingly so. For what this beer is trying to be, it is a good example.

Mouthfeel is not really there at all, but that is a characteristic of this style.

I could drink more of these when I am in the cheap macro-drinking mood that I find myself in sometimes.

2.53/5  rDev +25.2%

24 oz. can left over from the previous night's Super Bowl get-together. Pours a slightly darker than usual, crystal clear golden color. Forms a short-lived foamy head that disappears into nothing in no time. Quite fizzy, but that's not really a surprise. Aroma is a basic macro sweet malt/corn combination. Taste is crisp and somewhat bolder than Bud/Miller/Coors with a slight bitterness/metallic taste on the finish. Cheap (in both price & quality) hops notes. Mouthfeel is light & watery. Overall, it's your basic macro lager. Good for getting wasted at a frat party, or if you're between paychecks. Or like last night, it works for washing down buffalo wings while watching football. You can do slightly worse, but SO much better!!!

2.65/5  rDev +31.2%

A middle of the road cheap macro lager. Looks like the typical, golden/yellow color of a macro. Smells kind of like fermented fruit mixed with metal. One can definitely taste the alcohol in this lager, but not so much after the first one (presumably because all of your tastebuds have been killed). Not the worst I have ever had, but I will never buy it again.

1.95/5  rDev -3.5%

Had this when I was in Louisiana and the place I was at didn't have much of a selection. All BMC stuff (which, this is) but I hadn't heard of this before since it doesn't seem to be distributed in Maine or New England.

Pour is very similar to all macro lagers coming from BMC, except this was was slightly harsher to drink. Smoothness is not there as with most lagers, although there is a crispness contributed from an abundant source of carbonation.

2.62/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours clear pale straw with a small head. Aroma is mild and somewhat sweet- fairly typical macro smell. Light malt and adjuncts. A touch of grassy hops and a dull sweetness. Smooth light mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable. Overall a very average macro. The only thing that really distinguishes it is the slightly higher than usual abv.

1.83/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a bottle. Questionable freshness here, since this beer was part of a store variety pack and had considerable dust.

Appearance: light golden color with just a little head that quickly dissipates. There also appeared to be some floating particles after the pour.

Smell: A bit on the weak side, grainy but also a little astringent.

Taste: Very light in my opinion. Not much going on. Malts aren't very impressive and there is only a small hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied.

Drinkability: Not impressed by the taste and texture of this beer- not too drinkable IMO. This beer may appeal to those looking for a quick buzz.

- I will try a fresher version of this beer in the future and will update this review if necessary. As it stands, not very fond of this offering.

I can honestly say out of drinking probably a thousand different beers this beer gets an award for being in the top ten worst beers I have ever drank! Yuk! A weird grainy malty taste and nothing else! I am hardcore. So when I say a beer is nasty I guarantee you it is! Hopefully in the future the beer industry will create a beer that is high in alcohol, tastes good, low priced, and low in the deadly congeners that are causing health problems in the U.S. and abroad. Beware!

3.57/5  rDev +76.7%

Icehouse has a special place in my heart because it's the first beer I ever got drunk on. Maybe that's the reason I like the taste of it, but I think it's actually one of the best cheap beers you can buy. Maybe the best. The only other ice beer I like better is Molson. Icehouse is a great beer to get if you're having a party but you don't hate your friends enough to buy Bud Light.

2.15/5  rDev +6.4%

a: pours a very [ale golden color with a bleach white head that dissapears rather quickly leaving no signs of lacing
s: corn malts, and alcohol, a little watery crispness is also detectable
t: corn malts and alcohol, no hop presence to speak of
m: light to medium bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this is not one of my beers of choice however there was one in the fridge and i was feeling bored

1.8/5  rDev -10.9%

A - Poured a straw color with a white head that dissipates quickly

S - Very light malt corn and some alcohol

T - Not too much of anything good

M - Theres a lot of carbonation in this one

D - I remember this being better than it actually is when I had it a few years back and this will be the last time I pick it up

2.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Perhaps the nice thing about Icehouse is that it doesn't taste bad, it just has little taste. No need to pour it out of bottle or can, there's no missing flavor unlocked in a glass. The color is straight yellow and very light at that. There's hardly any smell, as you get the feeling quickly you're drinking an American light beer, but they've replaced some water w/ alcohol (5.5% abv). Not bad for a pitcher when you're eating wings, but other than that you're just asking for a stomach ache and bells in the brain if you're chillin' with this.

Had this at a friends house not too long ago and just now getting to it. The appearance is pale yellow with little white head that fell quickly leaving now lace. Smell is non-existant for the most part..maybe some of the adjuncts in there...not much else. Taste is bland. Overall the beer is bland and like all macros as it warms is terrible, bordering on undrinkable. Great for quenching your thirst when hot and sweaty and you're out of water...other than that...I don't think so

A- Yellow with hues of faint orange.

S- Smells of some hops, but I get the "doctors office" smell from this one. You know what I mean.

T- Taste is stale, but strong alcohol taste. Nothing to mask it or cover it up

M- Carbonation is there, and a touch of malt. Not much on the chewy, but a little better than light beers.

D- I always have had tremdous hangovers off this stuff with bad headaches.

We went to Gatlinburg, TN for a trip to the Smoky Mountains. While we were waiting to be seated at the restaurant of our choosing, we went across the street to have a beer. What a poor choice of bars! I forget the name of the place but they only had Miller Lite on tap.... so I asked about the bottle selection. The bartender speeled off every BMC offering and nothing even remotely micro.... The last one he said was Icehouse.... I'd never had one, so I thought I'd try it.

It poured out from the 12 oz brown bottle into a pilsner glass. The label was quite proud of the 5.5% abv.... there to advertise that you could get drunk quicker on this than most 4% macros....

The head formed rapidly and disappeared just as rapidly leaving no lace. The beer was typical light yellow.

Smell: What smell? Only faint grain

Taste? Watered down lager with no redeeming taste... bland.... grainy.

Mouthfeel: fizzy lager.

Drinkability: Never again... Yeah you could drink this all day.... but why would you?

1.38/5  rDev -31.7%

snaged a can of this from a buddy of mine, just wanted to try it. this was a mistake.
drank it out of the can so no appearance on this one.

just smelled bad.

taste was worse. the most repulsive taste I have ever tasted from any drink. kinda tasted like it sat on a piece of rotted wood for several weeks and then was found to be served after it was long expired.

nothing is good about this beer at all. the mouth feel was the only thing that allowed me to nearly finsh this one... it wasn't too bad.

overall if you call this drinkable then you need to try other options, even in cheap beers. I couldn't finsh 1 can and thats on my college budget taste. Horrible.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.