Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev +30.5%

this pours pale and unattractive and looks like typical bad beer. the smells makes me wince, because it sucks. it smells like corn and alcohol. the taste though is actually alright, clean and simple. on par or better than other cheap lagers. really no hop profile but a bit of grainy malt, a light alcohol touch finishes it off. not horrible, not good, its ok...gets the job done and thats about it.

DESTRO, Nov 17, 2003
2.78/5  rDev +36.9%

I was taken in by the label and didn't realise I had purchased a product from the Miller Brewing Company.

Appearance: The beer poured with a colour that was a cross between pale straw and sunlight; the head was white and short and offered surprisingly sufficient lace for a macrobrewed product.

Smell: Nothing unusual; fairly normal.

Taste: Not exactly full of flavour. A mild smoothness; watery, but not to an alarming degree.

Mouthfeel: Not bad. In fact, inoffensive.

Drinkability: To be honest, I was expecting a lot worse. This is an average beer.

mwrseeley, Nov 07, 2003
3.23/5  rDev +59.1%

A crystal-clear yellow-gold body is capped by a short head of creamy bright-white foam that holds fairly well before dropping to an average collar. Lacing is limited. The nose offers a generic beer aroma of sweetish malt and adjunct with a touch of non-descript hops. The body is medium and it's crisp in the mouth with a fine-bubbled, standard carbonation. In the flavor, a slightly grainy, sweetish malt is well-balanced by spicy and floral hop flavor and moderate bitterness along with a subtle apple-like fruitiness. It finishes crisp and dry; almost as if beer had never been there. Very clean and well-brewed but generally lacking in character.

NeroFiddled, Oct 25, 2003
1.9/5  rDev -6.4%

It look great, clear straw color, nice head which disapates quickly, no lace at all. No taste to speak of, maybe corn, a touch of malt and a chemical taste. I will say it looks good in a glass. I bought it cause I wanted to catch a quick buzz. It is just swill!!

M

Webby64, Oct 05, 2003
1.78/5  rDev -12.3%

On sale 22oz. for $0.70 I couldn't pass one up, but now for appearance: Pours a crystal clear yellow fizzy tone with a bubbly white decent sized head only after a vigorous pour, lacing speckled and thin.
Aroma: Definite corn and rice approach to their malt profile sweet and slightly alcohol ridden after freezing the initial beer they filter out the ice here and what's left is a concentrated version of shit beer. Mouthfeel is thin but overcarbonated and nothing calling out to me. Drinkability: Not a beer I would chill with daily but it goes down easy and would get you crunked up, however if you like beer don't try this one.

WVbeergeek, Sep 18, 2003
1.65/5  rDev -18.7%

Oh man, it's really getting to the point where I dread reviewing anything that's listed here as a "Pale Lager." There's just so many terrible examples of this particular style. Alright, here we go:

Appearance: I've seen worse. Rather pleasently dark as macro-lagers go. Head dissapears a bit too quickly for my tastes though. No biggie, however.

Smell: Oh, gag me with a spoon. Not quite sure how to describe the smell other than "malts gone wrong." Something is very, very wrong with the smell of this beer. Not always a bad sign, but usually....

Taste: 26 beer reviews isn't much around these parts, and quite honestly, this is the first ice beer I've tried. I was scared. Everyone hates them. Apparently they have reason. Are there any hops in this anywhere? Any flavor at all? Tasteless, with a finish of vaguely bitter muck. Again, I've had worse, but this is pretty bad.

Mouthfeel: Well, it feels like a beer. Gotta give it credit for that. Not as watery as it could be. Not much beyond that however.

Drinkability: Really, you could do worse. But then, does anyone really aim for mediocrity? This is the sort of thing you drink during a hockey game. Early in the season. Definately not a Stanley Cup beer. Chug it, and move on to something better.

SetarconeX, Aug 23, 2003
2.75/5  rDev +35.5%

Appearance – Plain, yellow body but a nice head that foamed up easily and left a touch of lacing.

Smell – Not much on the nose here. – mostly corn and vodka.

Taste – It tastes better than it smells. There’s actually some body to this brew although I’d still consider it “light.” The grain has a little malt flavor in it, and the alcohol let’s you know it’s not 3.2 beer (does that take anybody back?).

Mouthfeel – The carbonation makes this one interesting, and the slight alcohol sting on the cheek lets you know there’s an ABV over 4.

Drinkability – I was ready to gag on this one (I had never tried it prior to this tasting), but was pleasantly surprised. Nice effort for the style (American ice lager).

RoyalT, Aug 19, 2003
2.28/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured a honey gold color with a big foamy white head. The smell isn't so great. I can barely make out a hops aroma, but there's this weird metallic scent as well. Yummy. Taste is bland, and the mouthfeel is very, very thin. I guess you could pounds these back all day, since it wouldn't really do anything for you otherwise. Not enjoyable to drink, and certainly on the bottom-end of my list of cheap macro-lagers.

jlervine, Aug 10, 2003
2.3/5  rDev +13.3%

Icehouse is made for one reason. To get you drunk. It's cheap and strong. The flavor was lacking. No hops, no malts, not much of anything except adjuncts and a generic lager taste. But it's not thin and goes down decently. This one wasn't made to taste good, just get you hammered.

granger10, Aug 09, 2003
2.33/5  rDev +14.8%

(See disclaimer at my review of Bud Light.) This one was poured vigourously as well but its head went away rather quickly. THe clarity is again flawless, perfectly crystal clear, and the color is a bit darker than the other beers in this session to this point (bud light, coors light, busch). THe aroma is also more "beer-like" from this beer - I actually get a hint of malt in the nose, and not much else. In fact, compared to a typical quality lager like a Munich Helles or Dortmund export style beer, the aroma is good, although with everything it could be bigger and bolder. The flavor features malty hints this time along with some other sweet notes that may be from corn or another cereal grain. The hop notes seem to be limited to simple bitterness. There is some hint of astringency at the end as well that is kind of puckering and reminds me a little of tea. I've been to concert venues where this was the strongest beer available. Under those circumstances, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one. Furthermore, I'd rather have this at family get-togethers than most macroswills.

KroMagnon, Aug 02, 2003
1.5/5  rDev -26.1%

Icehouse is incredibly astringent.

There's nothing on the nose, little on the palette as far as malts and hops are concerned, but the carbonation is harsh and the alcohol is poorly balanced. Being an ice beer, it makes good fun for keggers because it will get you drunk quicker. I have a tough time, however, finishing a glass (or a plastic cup).

This beer is nothing but pain. It doesn't taste bad, it doesn't really taste at all. More like taking your medicine than enjoying a brew. Stay away. Even worse in the cans.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Jul 24, 2003
2.55/5  rDev +25.6%

24 oz can served ice cold.

I had this one at the Braves game. I’m not sure the plastic cup made any difference on how I rated this beer.

Beer pours a typical American macro yellow color. Huge initial head, that quickly disperses.

Not a ton of smell here. You get some whiffs of corn, a little chemical smell and a hint of malt.

Taste is slightly below average and not nearly as good as some of its Miller stable mates. Some malty sweetness and an underlying chemical/ester type taste. Carbonation is very active and that may help the taste. They do a good job of hiding the alcohol. Don’t let this one get warm as it quickly loses what little appeal it has.

I guess this would be an ok beer if you wanted to get a quick buzz, but its not one that I will search out. Much better macro alternatives available.

Redrover, Jul 23, 2003

Fizzy little clear yellow guy with a nice white head to start; none to finish. Lots of carbonation and streams of continuous bubbles. The nose of light malting and adjuncts. The taste is not too bad with a little sense of hopping and light flavor of adjuncts. This is a very thin watery brew with over carbonation.

AtLagerHeads, Jul 12, 2003
1.53/5  rDev -24.6%

This brew poured a small white head of fine to medium sized bubbles and a weak pee water light yellow color. It has a mild hoppy aroma and leaves just a fair lacing. Its flavor is that of a typical fizzy weak rice beer, mild and uneventful. Continuous carbonation rises up the side of the glass. Can you spell BURP?

TheDM, Jul 12, 2003
1.6/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This beer poured a large creamy head with small bubbles that fully diminished. There was some lacing with this beer. The body was clear and yellow in hue. There was some carbonation observed with this beer. This beer had a light malty and hoppy aroma and also a citrus aroma. The initial flavor was lightly sweet and finished in the same way. The mouthfeel was light, thin and watery.

hotstuff, Jul 01, 2003
2.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Icehouse isn't the greatest domestic beer available today, but it tastes pretty good. The design for the label is great, and it has a real catchy name. The beer itself is sort of thick, and has an unusual taste to it, but not a bad taste. It is not a first choice beer for me, but certainly not a last choice either.

Rootdog316, Jun 17, 2003
3.15/5  rDev +55.2%

For an icebeer this is exceptionally easy to drink. When cold it goes down fairly smooth. There is a bit of an aftertaste but nothing too bad. It's not much to look at and it's not terrible complex, but all things considered this is a good, economic beer. Nowhere near a Guiness, but it was never meant to be.

beerbill, Jun 14, 2003
2.55/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I havn't even thought about buying one of these in many years, probably about 10 and thats saying a lot. When i was 16 and smoking pot every day, this stuff was new and me and my friends were all excited to drink something different with a "High" alcohol content (a whopping 5.5). I look back and smile on this beer and realize how far I have come in more ways than one.

The brew is light gold with very active carbonation, no head. Just a whisp of bubbles around the edge o' the glass.

A very grainy/cereal smell. pretty one demensional.

The taste starts out innocently but packs a mean aftertaste, especially in the first two or three drinks, and after that the beer becomes utterly forgetable, even whilst i drink it. My mind is already on my next beer. Skip it.

elmocoso, Jun 10, 2003
1.33/5  rDev -34.5%

One of the few beers I've never finished. Pretty much a typical macro in appearance and smell, but the taste is much too bitter and metallic, with a harsh mouthfeel and an everlasting aftertatse that tastes like an acid-soaked penny. This is absolutely horrid stuff.

aaronh, Jun 05, 2003
2.38/5  rDev +17.2%

This brew pours a pale yellow. There was a head but it left without any lace. The smell is sweet and of corn and grain. The taste is water down with a touch of alcohol at the end. So much for their “ Never watered down taste”. Glad I was cooking with it

Stubbie1, Jun 01, 2003
1.95/5  rDev -3.9%

This is a bad beer, but there are worse. Very pale yellow with only a very thin ring of head. The smell is very bad. No aromas stick out. Taste is similar. This is a light bodied beer. Drinking more than one of these is hard to do. I would stay away from this beer, unless your digging in the couch cushion for bling to buy beer.

Amdahl, May 21, 2003
1.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Had a couple of these on the golf course today. Overall, not too awfully bad for a Macro. Good swilling beer, if the need arises. Pale yellow in color, with a white head and typical fiziness. Limited aroma and taste. I know they sell alot of this stuff. Advertising is a good thing???

Boto, May 04, 2003
2.35/5  rDev +15.8%

It's pale straw in color. A rather large fluffy head forms and is nice to look at for the 15-20 seconds it lasts. There's not much of an aroma, just a little grain. And the same goes for flavor, just a little graininess, and slightly noticeable alcohol. It's crisp on the palate and that's about the only plus to this beer. That and the fact that it can be a cheap buzz for someone who is broke. It's definitely not a beer for beer advocates to enjoy. Not much flavor, just a cheap buzz.

AudioGilz, Apr 16, 2003
1.73/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

For a lot of my friends at college, this is the perfect drink for them. A six pack of tall boys is about 5 bucks, and after that you will be feeling alright. A nice cheap drunk, if thats what youre looking for, if for some reason you were looking for a tasty beer and thought this might be it, keep on looking.

Tballz420, Apr 05, 2003
1.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Someone left a few cans of this beer at my place a while back. So, instead of pouring it out, I thought I might actually try it.
I went into this beer with a very open mind. Pouring it into my favorite snifter and letting it build as big a head as I could get.
The body of this beer was a very clear yellow with lots of tiny bubbles, I was actually able to read type in some books while looking through it. The white head was nice but died down quickly.
I tried to get a picture of the nose, swirling it around as much as I could and no matter what I tried I could barely pick up any flavors at all. If anything it reminded me of being a kid of maybe 5 and smelling my dad's beer.
The taste was yet again almost none existant. Very mellow, almost no hop flavor, very subtle malt, it was more of a yellow alcohol water than beer. I even tried swirling it around in my mouth like mouthwash. Let some air in to bring out the flavors, but still next to nothing.

The funniest part about this beer is that after I drank it I really got the best picture of the flavors by burbing. Reminded me somewhat of that one scene in willy wonka, well.. minus the flying.

If you're looking to get drunk on a serious budget this is the beer for you, other than that I'd probably never go out of my way to buy this beer.
This beer is the reason people don't take beer snobs even a quarter as seriously as they take wine snobs.

taez555, Mar 17, 2003
Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.