Icehouse - Miller Brewing Co.

IcehouseIcehouse

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-19-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Icehouse Alström Bros
2.17/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Pours a super clear slightly orange golden color with a 1/4" head of tight white bubbles after an aggressive pour. The head sticks around for about 30 seconds to end up as a thin white ring around the top of the beer where it meets the glass. There are a few bubbles rising to keep the ring around the glass. No lacing or not much else to speak of.

Aroma: My initial impression was of some serious corn. My second impression was of some serious corn. Gee, I wonder if there is some serious corn in this one? I don't really get that much else. There is a little bit of hops to give an impression to mix with the corn. The water seems a bit salty to give the hops more backbone. There is a bit of spice in the aroma that I would assume is from Saaz hops rather than from alcohol.

Taste: The flavor isn't quite as corny as I expected. It is still really corn driven, but it isn't like drinking cream corn as I expected it to be from the aroma. There is a bit of a buttery like flavor that I guess is from some toast and caramel malts, though it may be Diacetyl. The flavor borders on metallic with the dryness from the adjuncts leaving no where for the off flavors to hide. The finish is rather wet with some noticeable alcoholic burn that must be because of the lack of substance causing the alcohol to be apparent at only 5.5%.

Opinion: Well, I hate to admit it, but I drank this beer quite a bit before I knew what good beer was. Now that I know, I probably won't finish this glass. This beer is hollow and only has a higher than average alcohol content. I bought this beer as a single bottle, and it is a good thing because I wouldn't want any more of this one. Whew!

24oz can

Icehouse was a very clear light golden color with a shortlived fizzy white head. The smell was lightly sweet and grainy. The taste was light and grainy as well with a lightly bitter, dry finish. The mouthfeel was light with medium to high carbonation. Not a good beer.

1.9/5  rDev -5.9%

I've had some pretty dirty beers while I was in college. I can honestly say that I can at least finish an entire can of something I don't like. Until I found Icehouse.

You can't even drink this when your already drunk... It has a malicious odor. It is offensive. It tastes like can mixed with creekwater. It also has enough alcohol in it that it gets the misguided people that drink it really messed up after a six pack of 16 oz cans.

2.5/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Icehouse!
Poured a clear pale gold color. Large frothy white head.
Smell is not very potent, corn is the most prominent.
Taste is has light sweet malt, and for the 5.5%abv, it balances it well.
Mouthfeel is light, drinkability is average. The 5.5% is well disguised.
An ok Macro.

2.1/5  rDev +4%

like most of its resemblances, this beer does not make an impression to me, but this within the spectrum by above of bud and bud light, blond color, defined body slight flavor and with content within standard of alcohol the beers to lager, finishes sending a new image and promotional campaign, to replace its mark, rare in the border but to the aim can be obtained; good for Mexican and American kitchen recommendable 65%

1.48/5  rDev -26.7%

I have very bad memories of this beer. One of my roommates from college bought this on a whim, and although we had a good night, it was due to the alcohol in the beer, and not to its taste and characteristics.

Appearance: It's a pale yellow color that doesn't retain head. Looks like a typical macro brew.

Smell: Bitter, sour smell. My roommate broke one of the bottles by accident as we were loading them in the refridgerator, and it was a big tip-off to me that this was not a high-quality beer, despite its mid-range price.

Taste: Horrible. It has the bite of Molson Canadian, but is much more bitter and has a lingering aftertaste. I cringed as I took sips from my first bottle. It had a metallic taste if I recall too. No redeeming wheaty taste to be found here. Between the smell and the taste, I had a hard time dealing with this one.

Mouthfeel: Thin and oily, like typical macro brews.

Drinkability: I had to choke this down. This was just flat out bad, and there is no way I'll ever drink it again.

1.9/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours completely clear very pale golden color. Modest white foamy head.

Smell is very thin and is dominated by sweet macro corn with no hop bitterness at all.

Taste has very light maltiness. Not as cloyingly sweet as the nose. finish has a very mild bitterness with a lingering sweet residue.

Mouthfeel is light and watery.

Typical macro. Watery and virtually tasteless.

Poured a dull yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smell was ultra light with some hints of malts.

Taste had some very mild malt flavors with a strong corn taste, very cereal like. Trace amount of hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel was light and thin with lots of carbonation.

Typical mass produced swill, nothing unusual here.

This beer is just terrible. First off I got it skunked and the fact that it is so cheap should set off some lights. Anyways I was dared to drink one for ten dollars and god for bid after i drank this shitty beer the ten dollars wasn't worth it. The color looked worse then piss, well actually at first I thought it was piss. Well not really but this beer was just utterly disgusting looking. It was all down hill from there. Yes I got my ten dollars but in retrospect it wasn't worth it. Beware of shitty beer.

1.5/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

appearance - like I'd actually pour this in a glass

smell - terrible, this may have been skunked, but it's more than likely was really just that bad

taste - not beer, just really weird

mouthfeel - doesn't matter

drinkability - not good, even worse than light macros like busch light or natty light. the only thing that makes this worth your while is the fact that it's cheap (4.20 a sixer) and is 5.5%.

Drink to get drunk.

2.1/5  rDev +4%

I took a 12oz can from my brother's fridge to review. It poured a color that was not quite yellow and not quite gold....my girlfriend described it as urine colored, and I have to say I agree with her. The head was about 1/3 of an inch and disappeared immediately.
Smell: The smell was of cereal grains (corn), and of mild malts. Overall the smell was bland, but it did have some hidden fruitiness, and that was slightly pleasant.
Taste: Malty, smooth, corny, and over all bland. It was actually not quite as light as I was expecting, but still exhibited many characteristics of water.
M/D: Medium bodies for a macro lager, high carbonation, smooth but bland. Not terrible, but did give my stomach the feeling that I drank too much water.

2.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Highs: None
Lows: Bitter, unpleasant finish

Pours golden clear with a few bubbles; looking like a typical macro. One-finger whitish head fades to nothing quicker than you can say “American macro brewery.” Unremarkable nose, maybe a bit of malt and yeast. Flavor is pretty neutral with some malt and a little alcohol even though it’s only 5.5% ABV. Finish is malty and a bitter, but not a good bitter, more like a grating, bad coffee bitter, but it’s not too harsh. Mouthfeel is pretty decent, bubbly, and refreshing. Definitely a lawn mowing beer. Drinkability is below average: the finish kills it. This isn’t a terrible beer, but it’s not even an average beer, either.

Overall: A below average macro, not recommended. And contrary to urban belief, the 5.5% ABV is not worth the sacrifices in flavor.

2.38/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a crystal clear golden yellow, big fluffy white head forms, settles down to a layer and some lacing on the glass. Good retention for a macro. Smell is sweet with some slight citrus and honey, little bit of grass and grains, some rice. Taste is sweet honey, some citrus and little bit of floral. Clean finish with a little bitterness. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Not a bad macro lager, there are worse.

2.73/5  rDev +35.1%

pours out a decent straw color, small white head goes down quite quickly

Smells. very much a macro aroma. a little sweet maltiness. not bad for the style(and not good either) very typical.

Taste. if any good flavors come out, it would be one the maltier part of it, but it aint malty. adjunct flavor very present. is sweet.

Mouthfeel. i think the 5.5% alc gives it a better mouthfeel than some others. decent carbonation.

Overall i cant tell if i can tolerate it much. It seems decent at times, but i dont know if i could drink this on a weekly basis. not completely bad though, especially for the price. But i do have to say i would choose this over all the other miller products.

2.6/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured this into a pint glass just to see how it looked.
Pale, straw yellow color, but surprisingly it had a nice head. Foaming and laced...then gone. Oh well.
Smell of burnt hops, malt, grains and alcohol.
Taste was a hollow malt, pinot gris type of flavor. Light, fizzy, bad finish.

1.83/5  rDev -9.4%

Purchased a twenty four ounce can. This beer pours a pale yellow, with a thick head. Smell is minimal, taste is fairly bland. Good alternative to drinking malt liquor, but not particularly interesting either. I would not recommend this unless you are looking for a cheap, mostly tasteless buzz.

2.03/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Miller product. 5.5%. 24 oz can poured into a pilsener glass. Dried and bleached straw color. Slightly darker than a miller light. perfectly clear. Fizzy head that fades amazingly quck. Lace is evident for a drink or two.

Adjunct smell and taste. sweet corn, some astringent floral quality that I cant shake. It is crisp like most in this style. Fairly heavy on the carbonation. Light but quenching mouth.

Yeah I like to pick up a sixer of beers I tried in my youth. If for no other reason just to see how my taste have changed, and this isn't all that bad. But when you compare it across the board it is well below average, but drinkable and halfway enjoyable.

1.63/5  rDev -19.3%

Reviewed this on a whim, was offered a take away from a party that I was DD @ (that does suck, but not so much when this the main offering)

Pours golden with a bubbly head that drops off to a thin film pronto. No lacing or head retention

Taste: Graininess & alcohol, slight bitterness followed up by sickening sweetness

MF: Slick and overcarbonated (uurp!!), how bout waving a few more picture of hops at the brew kettle in anger???

I've been plenty of places in the world where this would be considered decent beer ( when I was 16/Egypt), I think I'll pass unless either one of these 2 scenarios repeat themselves

3.55/5  rDev +75.7%

Well now, I'm actually reviewing "icehouse light', but BA doesnt seem to have that available. Frankly, they're both macro adjuct lagers, so the light vs. no light distinction is pretty unimportant. I gotta say . . I'm not hating it. Some of my younger bro's friends gave it to me for free and I'm not complaining. I'd rather a coors light if I'm stuck down this road, but the extra alcohol punch will get me where I'm goin' quicker and I can't begrudge the beer that. Yeah, it tastes lean and watery, not nearly as adjunct-y as a lot of other AmiMacro Lagers I've had. No complaints. Where the beer is free, there can never be any complaints . .

1.4/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

That's it, I have made a promise to my soul that I will never put this shit in my body again. It smells awful, like beer that has soured after a kegger with rotting corn and notes of crap. Taste: this swill would be better off with no taste. Dimethyl sulfides and phenolic initially. I get acrid corn, and think Miller said the hell with it, let's see what happens with this malt I found behind the forklift. The only part I wasn't disappointed with was the lack of aftertaste. Still not too drinkable from overbearing carbonation. I can't drink this anymore, Olde E sounds delicious in comparison. Even for this style of beer, Icehouse is wrong. I'm feeling like a genius for bringing my last Alpha King to hop out all of this Icehouse. Bad beer, if you can even call it that. I could brew better in my car trunk.

2.4/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Yes, just like every other macro, its a piss-yellow with some fizz and smells like grains and ass. With that said, I actually like it better than a lot of its counterparts. Its not a good beer, but for what its intended to be, I suppose its not all that bad. One of the first beers I ever started drinking back when I was in high school. If I remember right it was usually icehouse or bud ice. I think we just liked the fact it had a higher abv than busch or miller.

3.73/5  rDev +84.7%

VEry simple beer, not bothering, but neither interesting, at least I had my beer at that moment. Foam is present, is not green, at least not remarkably, and it has bubbling, so it is a good Macro Lager after all. I am not so sure if I had tatsed it before in 1999.

3.38/5  rDev +67.3%

When it comes to American Macro Lagers Icehouse would have to be my favorite(so far). It is basically all that the beer type, American Macro Lager, can try to be. A taste that isn't to complex or strong, but it is definately there, and it is very drinkable.

I obtained the unusual 22 oz. bottle and pour it into a glass. There wasn't much of a head but it did leave a fair amount of lacing. I enjoyed the smell. Nothing weird. Just the way I imagined the very clear gold liquid to smell. I took a swig that went down very easily, leaving no aftertaste, the way I like it. The taste was pretty good. It wasn't slight like some American Macro's, nor was it funky, trying to be something it is not. Just straight up cereal malts with a little sweetness as if you put sugar on your Cheerios. There is a little bitterness which is due to the hops, or the fact that its ice brewed? Probably the ice brewey-ness. It is thin though, which isn't a plus. On the whole this a cheap beer I love. I hate the camos, hurricanes, etc so if I'm low on cash this is what you might catch me drinking.

Probably one of my favorites when it comes to macro lager. It has very little smell to it and appears like you'd expect, but the beer tastes okay. Very weak hop and a decent tasting malty finish. It is very, very clean and refreshing. I can sit around drinking this for awhile without getting tired of the bad aftertaste I associate with many macros. I really don't think there is anything about the beer that is bad.

2.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Served up in the lobby of the Embassy Suites in Jacksonville, FL during the free happy hour.

Pours a pale gold but looks downright rich in color next to the Miller Lite my boss had poured for himself. A 1/4 inch snow white head, no lace and soon, no head. Smells lightly grassy and of very light sweet pale malt.

Crisp in the mouth. Some corny flavors, some light grassiness. Just a touch of hops and then it finishes clean, no discernable aftertaste. Very crisp and light on the tongue. No problem at all to drink one down, nothing offensive about it at all.

Pretty good for "free beer" I guess. Stuck in the macro hell that is most of Jacksonville, you could do much worse than this one.

Icehouse from Miller Brewing Co.