Redd's Wicked Ale - Miller Brewing Co.

Redd's Wicked AleRedd's Wicked Ale

to view more.
Ratings: 78 | Reviews: 33
Reviews by RonaldTheriot:
3.46/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Redd’s Wicked Apple has a thin, fizzy, quickly-dissipating head, a clear, golden appearance, and lots of bubbles. Like with apple juice, there is no lacing left behind. The aroma is of light barley, apples, and wine-like alcohol. Taste is of light ale, strong sweetness (or sugar), apple juice, some spice, a bit of bitterness, and strong alcohol as the drink warms. Mouthfeel is light to medium and a bit slick, and Redd’s Wicked Apple Ale finishes crisp, refreshing, and boozy. Sort of an oddity, but guaranteed to come across like an apple soda that will get one hammered. The alcohol goes straight to the brain with this one. For those looking for mainline alcohol injection, this is it.

RJT

4.62/5  rDev +61.5%

What the fuck are you poor misconceived wankers talking about... fucking miserable idiots!
This is a motherfuckin' solid "hard apple cider".
I have no idea where the "it's not a true beer/ale" cock swallowing community came from but it's fuckin' sad!
I've tried plenty and I'll leave you with this... if you're a shit eating NY'er or Californian (and I'm from NY) with botox lipped male cock sucking tendencies and an IQ <80 than maybe, just maybe... this isn't worth your money.
If you're anything but then I highly recommend this cider... hand's down beats "Crispin", "Woodchuck" etc.
Grow a set of balls you cock suckin' fairies... this is the shit and I'll argue to the day I die.
And NO, I've got no remote fucking affiliation with the company... I know what you cock suckers are like so don't even think you can dismiss my review that way - fuckin' shaft swallowers!

I live in delaware and this stuff sells out all the time. This is the best stuff around.my friends and i all love it.

2.04/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Priced at a dollar a can at least it's a 12 ounce can for 2 dollars and change you can get 25 ounce apple-cran-mang-lime-razz-a-ritas. This wicked apple ale pours a thin copper pale hue with fizzy off white bubbles a ton of carbonation is quickly released if you pour this stuff. Just faint wisps of lace are left behind.

Aroma has a really nice engineered apple notes, really red apple at that. Smell's nice if you like apples, who doesn't like apples? However once it sits for a minute you start picking up some fusel or medicinal alcohol notes that shows this 8% abv apple ale show it's true colors basically a malt liquor with "natural apple flavor and caramel color". A bit of candy caramel sweetness in the backend as well.

Flavor harsh alcohol mixed with tooth pain inducing sick sweetness, more than one can you're getting some acid reflux. GI ulcers in the population that regularly consumes these is going to increase ten fold, this is just horrible if you like beer or hard cider it's neither of the two.

Mouthfeel, thin watery high carbonation a bit of a burn in the back end of the throat with each sip. Very much a booze ridden train wreck on the palate with sick sweet residual sugars.

Overall, why is there a market for this why wouldn't Miller just make a real cider...the apple ale craze will be short lived like hard lemonade and spiked tea.

3.57/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 10 oz. can. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of apple juice. Taste is apples, sweet, some alcohol is present. Feels light in the mouth and overall I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. A notch of other Redd's beers I have had.

1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

tastes ok first few sips............. then a malt liquor headache 2 hours later, I knew better

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

Tastes like a tasteful orchard of tasty Appleness. I am no drinker of apple brews as of the late trend to be that has revived the lost apple cider trend that has died and rotted away, seemingly in a deserving fashion. I am just not. But this. This affordable concoction delicious perfection. It is good...As the drinker of ailments that I am, I've offered a little of my time to this "trend of sorts" to see what these ciders and ales bring to the table. Most have disappointed and sickened me, including wasted my time and money that could've been merely doubled for a hopsy I.P.A. Then I picked this one up at a gas station. 2.37$. It was warm. Put it on ice. It tastes like a tangy Apple Cider. That is what it should taste like. If you drink Apple Cider, do you feel anything but loneliness and high blood sugar?? Then don't expect much more with this witchly brew of high. It is cheap apple couch syrup that is satisfying to anyone who is sick minded enough to try it and even sicker to complain about it.

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

10 oz. can, didn't bother pouring into a glass. Smell and taste are both like apples and alcohol. Heavily carbonated and finishes with a boozy aftertaste.

So, all that being said, it actually is somewhat enjoyable. It's definitely more of a hard cider than an ale like it claims to be, and I'd prefer Angry Orchard or original Redd's, but it's not that bad. The taste is actually very good; sour and crisp, the aftertaste is just a bit much. It's like they injected extra alcohol into each can just for the sake of high schoolers who want something cheap to get drunk on. But I'd buy it again if it was on sale.

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

I wanted to write a review for this because I felt that many people prior had the assumption that this drink is something that it is not. Clearly, we cannot compare this Redd's to Heady Topper or any other traditionally brewed beer for that matter, but it really succeeds at doing what it has attempted to do. Plainly, this is an unoffensive and easy drinking alternative to traditional beer. I really can't get over the fact that people keep deriding this due to the fact that it is too "sweet" since it actually has the same or less calories per abv than other options in its alcohol class. Consequently, I would categorize this "sweetness" as more of a sour taste, and I think it is much more comparable to a granny smith apple taste than a traditional red. In the end, when I want to switch things up from drinking multiple craft beers, this Redd's provides great taste while very effectively masking its high alcohol content. It is by no means perfect, but I would certainly reach for a Redd's over any of the myriad of competing adjunct lagers considering that it effectively brings a unique change of pace to the table.

2.45/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Refreshingly Hard! No surprises here.

1.9/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

L: just like apple juice. small head no lacing

s: too much apple. nothing beer like.

T: Nothing but apple. extremely sweet

M: like apple soda

O: eh.....

2.86/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Bright and clear golden orange body offers a scattering of white foam on the surface, and a slight bit of foam rings the glass walls. The carbonation is scant and slow-rising.

Aroma: Profound artificial apple aroma assails the senses, more like green apple Jolly Rancher candy than any apple I have had.

Taste: The taste seems more natural than the aroma, more like a cider made from a Honeycrisp apple. The high alcohol presence offers a spicy character, and a decent amount of warmth. Late in the taste, there is a mild hop presence, the bitterness of which serves as a pleasant counterpoint to the nearly over-the-top sweetness.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: More cider than an ale, I think, but Miller Brewing Company calls it an ale, so an ale it is. While not great, it seems pleasant enough on an Autumn evening, and reasonably priced at $3.00 for a twenty-four ounce can, including tax.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

2.01/5  rDev -29.7%

Amber colored ale with a small white head that quickly dissipates to a ring. Looks like apple cider.

Smell is all apple like Jolly Rodger candy. It is all apples.

Starts out sweet and full of apple, really tastes like apple soda more than beer.

Mouthfeel is soda.

Overall this is pretty much apple juice and Everclear.

1.25/5  rDev -56.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

High alcohol content is the only thing going in here. Gross.

2.5/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours the color of apple juice. Virtually no head.

The smell is of apple juice.

The taste is of sweet hard-candy like red apple with alcohol.

Sharp and fizzy, booze and artificial red apple lingers.

Not much "ale" to it - a candy apple malt liquor character is pretty much what it is. I scored with "what it is" in mind, and still was less than impressed. It's more of a sweet malt beverage than a beer, in my opinion.

3.36/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

My wife's family came in to town and I found myself cooking Sunday brunch for 'em all. My Brother In Law brought an ice cold 12 pack of these and we just sort of started drinking them. There is a slight metallic or artificial taste that sort of hinders the "apple-y-ness" of this beer (Is it really beer?) but... on the plus side, they go down pretty fast & after a two or three of them in the morning, who cares?

3.47/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Publix had 2 24 oz cans for 3 bucks. How can you pass that up? I didn't see the 8% ABV till I got home, so I let them chill for 2 days. I poured half a can into a Samuel Adams glass, it looked dark amber and smelled like sweet apples. Taste was like a thickish apple juice. A little too sweet and thick for me. I guess that masks the alcohol. One can was enough. I won't be buying any more as I like a lighter, less sweet apple cider or ale. This would go with spicy Szechuan or Mexican food.

3.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served from the can in a Tighthead Oktoberfest shaker pint glass.

Found this in my local store's bargain cart (no bins, only carts...yes, shopping carts), so I figured I'd give it a shot for the hell of it. It pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of short-lived dirty-white foam. The nose comprises bushels of apples: some of them seemingly artificial, some seemingly genuine; some sweet, some sour-leaning. Cider style, baby. The taste brings in more of the same, a hint of booze occasionally making itself evident. There's a bit of corn syrup foundation-ing the situation as well, if you catch my drift. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, not a bad vehicle for booze delivery, really; thoroughly reminiscent of a thicker-than-usual cider and totally drinkable.

3.18/5  rDev +11.2%

Got this for a dollar at the Hy-Vee grocery store in the bargain bin. It's dented up but let's see how it tastes.

Appearance (2.5) : A single ring of lace no thicker than a quarter. It soon evaporates into nothing. The body is your typical apple juice/cider color with around 60% opacity.

Aroma (2.75) : Just what I expected, it's much like Redd's Apple Ale except for some heavier alcohol aromas. Apple jolly rancher, discarded apple skins.

Taste (3.25) : It's very delicious. Very sweet, sour, and zippy with burning alcohol. Again, it tastes a lot like Redd's Apple with some more alcohol and apple skins. It's probably too cloying for some but I like the sweet and it proves a beer can be sweet and delicious.

Mouthfeel (2) : Light Bodied, carbonated, crisp. Basically an apple soda.

Overall (3.18) : This is proof a beer doesn't have to be world class in every category (or even one) to be enjoyable. This is an example of a beer that I enjoy that is absolutely mediocre (or less) in every category. It's very sweet and sour at the same time, while maintaining an alcoholic burn. It's better than A/B's Lime-A-Ritas.

3.51/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Redd's Apple and Strawberry Ale caught me off guard with their elegant sweetness and their ability to toy with the senses, masquerading as a cider but surprising with an ale taste and formation to create a sensational new hit. I unabashedly enjoy them; they're sweet, easy to drink, go great with a campfire and some horderves and succeed at precisely what they set out to do. Anyone who bashes them is either not a fan of hard and sweet offerings or simply cannot acknowledge what the brand wants to do and how it succeeds.

Redd's Wicked Ale caught me off guard; earlier this summer I read that the company was trying to put out Redd's Cranberry Ale, a variation on their wildly popular brand that was a cranberry-flavored ale to add to their apple, strawberry, and hard iced tea line and was expecting that from my liquor store's Miller distributor. However, I was surprisingly greeted by this and am equally excited. Let's try this one on for size.

Appearance - Yellowish, amber color; appealing enough, as always, not much to say. I see quite a bit of carbonation, which wasn't as prominent with the apple and strawberry offerings if I remember correctly.

Smell - Smells of apple juice with an alcohol kick to it, otherwise, pretty much what you'd expect a product called Redd's Wicked Ale to smell like.

Taste - Thick and incredibly sweet, almost too sweet, like the Bud Light Lime Apple-Ahhh-Rita. However, this is appetizing all the more, as it goes down easy, with no real fight, and sneaks up on you, disguising its 8% ABV with its sweetness. Truly lives up to its branding that "the apple that bites back."

Mouthfeel - Thick like the beverage, but not enough to be offputting or offensive; thoroughly enjoyable.

Redd's Wicked Ale will inevitably have its haters, but frankly, this is an appetizing offering, far more successful at delivering what you'd expect than the new Bud Light Lime Apple-Ahhh-Rita. While its thickness and high-sugar content may hinder ones choice in a second or third beverage, unlike with the brand's traditional line, there's little to complain about here. A solid offering and a respectable contributor to a brand I hope continues to grow with the promise it bears early on.

3.2/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from the tallboy into a stange-like glass stolen from a nearby defunct establishment. An aggressive pour produces a little fizz that quickly dissipates.

Loads of artificial apple essence and flavor that evokes one of those powdered apple drinks or a Mexican apple soda. A little bit of malt character does manage to peek through, with a slight DMS note. It's sweet, but not ungodly so, and does manage to conceal the high ABV.

I like to change it up now and then with some low brow brew. I also enjoy cider, which this is meant to mimic. Okay plus, for what it is. I would pick this over regular Redd's Apple "ale".

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

Really not too bad at all. 8% abv but I can barely taste the alcohol. Color is a pretty nice light gold with some tannish/light brown hues. No head or lacing. Smell is of straight apple cider. Taste is bold and hits you quickly with a crisp apple cider / sweet apple juice flavor. As I said, can barely taste the alcohol. The carbonation is a bit high and the MF is a bit thin,l other than that it's pretty decent. Probably will buy again.

It's not a bad summer beer, even if the fruitiness makes it seem a lot more like a cider.

2.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from can into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a clear deep amber color with a small super fizzy white head. The head fades almost instantly leaving only a trace of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is heaviest of a big apple cider/juice aroma mixed with some lighter boozy smells. Along with these aromas is a little bit of a herbal smell producing a very sweet apple cider aroma overall.

Taste – The taste begins with a very sweet apple cider flavor mixed with a little bit of a yeast and some sugary tastes. As the taste moves on some brown sugar and light malt tastes join the tongue. Some hints of yeast and a little bit of a boozy and grassy taste join the flavor at the end leaving a very sweet apple cider flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is a little thin to moderate with a carbonation level that is on the slightly higher side. For the massive sweetness it is rather decent as it makes for a slightly more refreshing brew, but the sweetness is a bit overwhelming even with the slightly lighter body and higher carbonation and what would have been better would to have tons of carbonation and a super thin body.

Overall – A super sweet (on the somewhat cloying side) hard cider with the lightest touch of ale (and I mean very light). Just a sweeter, boozier and more cidery version of the original Redd’s. Redd’s x 1.5.

1.63/5  rDev -43%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

If you want to get drunk quick, and you do not like the taste of beer then this is great for you. We were really disappointed with this drink. It is sweeter than soda, and leaves a sugary coating in your mouth. I could maybe see this working for snow-cones, but we won't be purchasing this again, for sure.

However, after giving it our hardest and deciding to dump it down our semi-clogged drain, the drain is no longer clogged! I suppose it does have some use after all.

to view more.
Redd's Wicked Ale from Miller Brewing Co.