Meister Bräu - Miller Brewing Co.

Meister Bräu
No picture uploaded.
awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Meister Bräu Alström Bros
1.13/5  rDev -30.7%

Pretty nasty stuff. I wouldn't try it again, and you should not either.
Pours a nasty looking piss yellow with no head and no lacing.
Smells like water with some sugar and vinegar added.
Tastes like wastewater. Some fake hops additive for slight bitterness.
Mouthfeel is cheap and messy.
Not drinkable.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 11, 2010
1.63/5  rDev 0%

A: Pale yellow. Lots of carbonation, no head.

S: Cereal grains, not much else, pretty much nothing.

T: Crisp with a small malt hint. Clean but uninteresting, cheap hop usage that gives some slight bitterness.

M: Coarse and harsh.

O: Not very good, a pretty crummy beer. As expected for the price.

bundy462, Jun 22, 2010

Do your self the favor: just go buy some budweiser and drink that if you'r looking to get drunk. this just isnt worth it. really. piss colour with no head, smells like a chicken's feeding pan. taste? I'd rather scald my mouth with boiling coffee than drink this again. shit, I'd rather rinse my mouth with tequila than have to ever drink this on a regular basis.

erz316, Jan 31, 2010
2.68/5  rDev +64.4%

After taking a quick look at the other reviews here I have to laugh. In college I thought this was the worst beer I'd ever had, and keep in mind, I was pretty familiar with beer at that point (Watney's Red Barrel, John Courage, Bass, Guinness, Whitbread, Mooshead, Molson, Labatt's, Bud-Miller-Coors, Heineken, Grolsch, etc.). I didn't mind cheap beer, but Meister Brau got to me. And, not unlike other reviewers, I find it the same today. I've probably had other beers that were just as cheaply made, but I can't think of any of them now (perhaps Old Style). So what is it? Well, it's just that there's so much adjunct in use. It's got that sweetness to it. And there are next to no hops. It's almost like the alcohol balances it. Well, at least tries to balance it. I recently saw someone question on-line "What happens if you make beer without hops"? "What's it like?" "Has anyone tried it?" ... I guess whomever came up with this one did! But that's not the real problem. The real problem is that it's clearly fermented pretty fast and hot. It's got a lot of yeasty fruitiness to it. And, I think, some higher alcohols. But on the up side, it's inexpensive.

NeroFiddled, Jun 16, 2009
1.35/5  rDev -17.2%

Again, taking a trip back to high school. $1.99 a 12-pack. I should have know better. Funny, it still costs the same today. Open it up, and ouch, B.O. veggie and metal aroma blends to form vomit. Pours clear gold with a sad, bubbly white head. Tasting... and confirmed ass. Tart, sour, metallic, veggie-and-sugar concoction. I am an idiot.

magictrokini, Dec 10, 2008
1.58/5  rDev -3.1%

Oh the innocence of youth. The taste of this stuff is going to become permanently infused into my memory.

A: Pale yellow with a fizzy white head that doesn't retain well. Clarity is good. Active carbonation from big bubbles.

S: Not much to smell. What little smell there is consists of corn grits and a little dry malt.

T: Only consume this ice cold. Doesn't taste like much of anything at ~35 degrees F or lower. If it warms, it becomes face wincing bad, as the flavors of corn grits, cooked cabbage and wet cardboard seep in. Things only go downhill from there. Bitterness is there for the whole ride, with a weighty metallic flavor that's bolstered by the beer's fizz. Finishes clean if ice cold. If not, residual flavors of metal and corn grits linger for far too long in the mouth.

M: Light body is super fizzy.

D: Not worth another visit. A truly terrible beer.

Rayek, Nov 04, 2008
1.8/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

350ml aluminium can

sold at a ridiculously low price

A: commercialy blond lager, no head,
S: smelless, same as any other commercialy larger beer at this range of price.
T: thist quenching, watery,
M: light,
D: this is a bad beer, but still it's refresching

rodenbach99, Dec 26, 2007
2.65/5  rDev +62.6%

Watching American Beer made me fell like going back to revisit this beer. I had forgotton how tasteless it is. Poured a pale yello color with white head. Smell is a little sweet but not much else. Taste is difficult to find but is an adequate thirst quencher. Not summer afternoon beer.

tgbljb, Jul 19, 2005
1.1/5  rDev -32.5%

Yep, its been while since I downed a container of this swill.
It may have taken a few times but I learned my lesson. Hangover in a can, guaranteed!
It is an artificial yellow color, with a weak and short lived foam.
Smell and taste are the same if that makes sense. Like the inside of a cheap aluminum can, subtle, stale rice notes.

hungryghost, Oct 08, 2003
1.6/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

There's a reason my friend coined the term "Meister Chow". This is what you drink when you REALLY don't like yourself or the relative health of your colon. My fraternity used to stick by Beast, occasionally venture to Natty and invariably pay homage to the meister sheister. Actually, its not that different than any other cheap beer. It imparts more flavor, I think, than the other beers with an interesting rancid fruit taste and tanginess almost as if it has a touch of fortified wine in it. I might just be crazy. Pools of this stuff used to coagulate on the floor, and mosquitoes wouldn't even think about laying their brood in it. It's cheap, its somewhat elusive (I assure you it is available in the Lehigh Valley part of PA if you want to waste your time looking for it) and it contains alcohol. College kids and other assorted po'folk think that's a good selling point. And I suppose it is. Enjoy! and then enjoy again the next day via multiple routes of escape.

99bottles, Jul 25, 2003
1.33/5  rDev -18.4%

The fact that anyone would review this is crazy.Yellow with no head and nasty smell,when Iwas 17 and had no money we would drink this.Nasty trailer park beer I wish I never tried it,who startedf making this anyways,anyways is it worth even reviewing?

oberon, Apr 13, 2003
1.5/5  rDev -8%

The beer has an amber yellow color, and a thin head that departs almost immediately. Almost no aroma. The flavor is hard to describe. It's bitter from start to finish, and leaves a horrible aftertaste. Are there even malt and hops in this stuff? I can't finish the whole can. I don't know if it's because I got REALLY sick and hungover on this stuff after a high school party or because it's just plain bad (okay it's just plain bad), but it has a flavor that I just can't seem to get down. If this is the "Master Brew," why do they brew a light version?

far333, Apr 13, 2003
2.5/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The German mug on the can, and of course the name, hint at a fine german beer. Not quite. It pours with a scant head, dark straw in color. Smell is of grain. Decent carbonation. Taste is of grain, corn (grits?) in particular, with mild to non-existant hoppiness. Flavor is of a cheap beer. This beer is hard to find even in cans, and I would like to try it in bottle if I can find it.

Rifrafboy, Dec 17, 2002
1.55/5  rDev -4.9%

Not to bad for crap
Thin fizzy pale head gone in a flash.
The body was super clean almost clear plenty of fizz. The smell was awful almost stopped me from drinking it,
the taste was that of a mass produced beer. a faint taste of malt and hops but nothing to even think about. Aftertaste was a little skunked
but not to heavy.
This one is better straight out of the can the tinny taste covers up the crappie beer taste. Must be Ice cold!!

Kwak, Nov 29, 2002
1.48/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I still remember the advertisement, "tastes like Bud, but half the cost". Now there's a marketing gem. It does taste like bud, aweful. And now that I don't have to stand in front of a package store and ask people to buy for me, I can afford Bud, not that I would drink it.

bewareOFpenguin, Oct 25, 2002
2.28/5  rDev +39.9%

Presentation: 12 oz can with a white back ground, two gothic looking steins and semi cursive letters … yikes! Never seen a can try to look to intimidating No freshness date.

Appearance: Very pale yellow in colour, a soda like carbonation races to the top selfishly to leave the brew and not help with the head retention.

Smell: Mild pungent aroma from cereal grain as well as a “crap beer smell” consisting of bland graininess.

Taste: Crisp none the less, light bodied to a t and an extremely thin mouth feel of slightly coarse grain. Quick flash of malt flavour, it comes through quick with a graininess in its trail. Hops are strained beyond recognition, hop flavour is totally muted. Raw grits or corn meal comes to mind within the semi coarse graininess. Clean all around with not much flavour to give anywhere it stays in the very dry range of American lagers.

Notes: Nice clean cheap beer, make sure it is ice cold when consuming … anything warmer than ice cold may induce flash backs of pervious crap beer experiences.

Jason, Sep 17, 2002
1.15/5  rDev -29.4%

Mister Beer. This just a terrible beer. Very watery with a slight bitterness. The mouthfeel is bizarre, almost soap-like (anybody ever get their mouth washed out with soap as a kid?). Not worth the effort to pick up, buy or drink.

proc, Jun 20, 2002
1.33/5  rDev -18.4%

Light very pale straw and almost crystal clear. Quick rising bubbles, almost no head. No lace. Smells slightly pungent and sweet with traces of corn. Taste is somewhat dry and crisp, almost seltzery. Very light flavor. Almost non-existent. Sweetens up sickeningly as it warms. Please, for the love of God, drink this cold or you will get ill.

psugrad98, Jun 20, 2002
1.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Sampled: 12 oz. can (what else?)

Ahh. Good old "Mess Yer Trou." It takes me back to the days when Dad & I would head over to a little 1/4 mile dirt oval in Binghamton with a cooler of beer in cans. We'd try a different brew every week, just because. This is one of the few that managed to NOT get finished at the track. So when a friend (I use the term loosely) left a can at the house last week...

Aroma: Cheapass beer, straight from the barstool. Pours bright yellow (found this out by watching it come out of the can and into my piehole while looking in a mirror). Taste is pure inexpensive - yeah, there's some malt, but a lot of other things that cows eat as well, and nary a hop to be found. Finishes slightly sweet, with a "ten of these and you'll think that someone hooked up the song birds outside your window to Marshall stacks" hangover promise.

Don't do this to yourself.

sponberg, May 21, 2002
2.45/5  rDev +50.3%

Uncle Eddie on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation chooses his cheap beer wisely! A solid bargain beer.

mmthompson33, Oct 16, 2001
1.5/5  rDev -8%

Mister Beer is pretty damn crappy. Had some the other day as some cheap bastard couldn't pitch in an extra buck or two to get Schlitz. Oy, what a mistake. The first sip flashed me back to playing a game of "pass-out" with this stuff where we all had to induce vomitting to drink more. Ah ... to be 18 and stupid again. Wait ... I just was by drinking it. This is a last resort drink.

Todd, Aug 30, 2001
Meister Bräu from Miller Brewing Co.