Milwaukee's Best Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Ice Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz can served in a goblet.

Fizzy amber body with a quickly vanishing head.

Very light body with prickly carbonation.

Aroma: faint and lightly sweet

Flavor: light hops and minimal malts with an aftertaste of corn.

O: drinkable; i.e., a bit better than expected. (272 characters)

2.53/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's brewed to be a cheap beer and delivers same. Very thin, low malt flavor, almost no hops and corn corn corn. Another good example of macro beer. (150 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and faint medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense foamy white head that quickly reduces to a large patch of mottled thin film surrounded by a very thin film covering the reminder of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to heavy amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grainy malt and corn adjuncts with a light aroma of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grainy malts with corn and rice adjuncts. That is followed by light flavors of grassy hops which imparts a light amount of bitterness which fades away quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp

O: This was much better than I was expecting with an easy to drink light overall flavor and aroma - alcohol was well hidden and it was more enjoyable than I remembered it from my college days. Not a beer that I will be running out to get again but not bad. (1,080 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +96.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Very attrative..almost seductively inviting. Pours with a wonderful, light and creamy head. S: A hint of beer smell...probably because this is beer. T: Fantastic surprise. A truly great experience. One of the best beers ever....by anyone's standards. Creamy, smooth with fresh, crisp hops. F: Very satisfying and pure drinkability. One of the top 5 beers I have ever had....and I have been drinking many, many beers for 60 years! Overall: Craft and micro brews cannot hold a candle to this legend - plus at 5.9 ABV it ranks at the top of a truly man's beer. Pure craftmanship at its finest! (608 characters)

Pours a clear light gold color with white head. Cereal grains and a little skunk on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied for an ice beer. Finishes with boozy grain. (175 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

This is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It looks way better than you'd expect, and it pours a surprisingly thick and creamy head. It actually has some flavor (tasted similar to PBR to me but not nearly as good, kind of a creamed corn taste. Tastes cheap to be sure, but it could be worse) but it could go down much smoother. It's also extremely cheap. This is the perfect beer for kids in college who just want to get drunk. (437 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

40oz plastic bottle poured into a pint glass

A- pours a bright golden color with a two-finger foamy and sudsy white head that reduces to skim the top long after that pour

S- fairly clean aroma, some grain, metal, cooked corn, no trace of hops

T- lightly sweet creamed corn up front, but pretty clean. Faint whispers of grass before finishing lean with a toasted grain linger

M- light body with moderate carbonation leads to a slightly foamy mouthfeel and a crisp dry finish

O- this is one of the most drinkable AAL that I've had. It doesn't have that off-putting finish that most do. Not much flavor, but compared to others in it's class, pretty good (661 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -23.4%

I picked this 12 pack of cans up last night for my friend and I. We are both having life issues and hey, its a guys night totally, we were just going to get wasted and forget about everything for a night...So him and I ordered a couple of cheap ass pizzas, and I went to pick up some CHEAP ASS BEER.

At $7.98 for a 12 pack (or $13 for a 30 pack which we obviously didnt need!), this definitely qualified for cheap beer. It's what I was going for. I wanted practically the cheapest crap I could find (okay, it was 3rd cheapest next to Hurricane and Steel Reserve) that hopefully still had good flavor. Naturally I picked up "ICE" and not "Light" for that reason.

So with one can left in my possession I dedicate it to you beer lovers.

Aroma (2) : corn, tin, malt aromas. Seltzer water. Smells like coors light, spot on.

Taste (1.75) very watery, very corny (but not in a high life way, more like a bad roasted malted corn flavor), tin, stale malt, rotten garbage and rotten hop. A staunch alcohol flavor floats around. It is just rather terrible unless you're too inebriated to know the difference.

Mouthfeel (1.75) : watery and carbonated.

Overall (1.83) : I gave the rest of the 12 pack to my friend and he left the three slices of pizza. I got the better end of the deal. We are not huge drinkers so he got six cans to take home. I still got the better deal. I never expected much to begin with, but this is truly horrible even then. Would not buy again, not even for $2 a 12 pack. Yeah it's a terrible beer - tastes like miller lite's reject batch from experiments gone wrong. (1,586 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +65.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I bought a 24 pack of this for $13 at the local liquor store just to try it out. I've drank it warm and cold, straight from the can, and from my beer glass.
It's a golden yellow color, similar to what you'd expect from most cheap American macrobreweries. Brief high head that settles down really quickly, leaving just a circle of thin foam around the edge of the glass. Minimal lacing. I wish there would have been more. Smell is similar to most cheap beers, sweetness, corn, and malty wheat, but I thought it was stronger and more defined than I usually expect from cheap beers.
Taste was overwhelmingly metallic(probably because of the can) water, corn, malt, and kinda a weird understaste that reminded me of bubblegum. A sweet short-lasting aftertaste. The mouthfeel was ok. Not too impressive. It was fairly smooth, which I liked.
As far as cheap beers go, this is my favorite. I don't expect much for $.50/can, and this one surpassed my expectations. It's got the strongest most defined flavor IMHO, a higher alcohol content than many of the other cheap beers, so it's great for a party, but also really easy drinking for just a day relaxing. (1,149 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +38.1%

I don't understand the piss poor ratings for this. Tastewise this beer is pretty decent. It tastes like a mixture of miller light and malt liquor, and as an ice brew thats practically what it is. There is a strong grain and corn taste to it, but its not offensive. Don't let it get warm though or you will get some bad tastes. Carbonation is a bit high for my taste, but not absurd. For what it is it's pretty good and I find myself actually enjoying them. (456 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +28%

Milwaukee's Best Ice Brewed by the Miller. This brew has an Abv of 5.9. This beer pours out of the can a nice amber color with a white head. The taste is that of an American style lager and malt liquor. It is right in the middle of the two. The beer goes down ok for being a higher abv, than other brews on the market. Nothing bad but nothing special . Overall I give this brew a 3 out of 5. (391 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Serving: 32oz can poured into snifters
Served: 7 February 2014

Appearance: Crystal clear pale yellow with just a faint hint of golden depth. Soapy white head on top. Good lacing.

Smell: Clean, nothing off-putting about it. Simple "beer" smell with some corny sweetness to it.

Taste: Much like the smell, this one tastes like one would expect for an AAL. Not cloyingly sweet but also not picking up any of the strange earthiness I also sometimes get in AALs. Not half bad for what it is.

Mouthfeel: Light and bubbly, just as one would expect.

Overall: Overall, this beer is certainly nothing to write home about. It's a party beer, for sure- a cheap option that you can buy massive quantities of for little money. I got a 32oz can for $1.70 and used it to wash down eight chili cheese dogs. It did it's job, and in a great way. I would certainly consider this for a college kegger. (885 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +14.2%

A reviewer before me typed it best, "A good cheap, get drunk kinda beer" Many friends of mine call it the "Hangover Central Beer" I don't know if they are recalling college mornings or they are just closet alcoholics that drink till they pass out, but I've never experienced this from this beer.

Before the basics, I will say out of all the Milwaukee's, (reg, light, ice) The Ice is the best for flavor's sake because it's the smoothest. I don't know why. I drink beer, not brew it.

With that said, semi-sharp hop smell, bitey but smooth hoppy mouthfeel. No tracing in my glass when I poured it out of a can. Appearance is a boring typical gold color, (doesn't bother me though) (680 characters)

ive got to give this credit, its cheap and it cuts to the point. at 5.9%abv its kinda noticable but goes down good. you can smell the grains/malt and the hint of alcohol. head is soapy and leaves decent lacing?!?! i know lacing? really. i will give it a full swallow beer in my honest opinion. It will get you where you want to go. (331 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

This beer was surprisingly good for a cheap get drunk kinda beer. It has a clear amber red appearance. there is a this malt smell. It has a malty taste with a dry aftertaste. It is slightly skunky at the end. It goes down pretty hard since it is pretty volatile. (262 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Oct2813 on the bottom. Didn't bother pouring this.

Meh. The alcohol can sort of be smelled and tasted, even though this beer is at 5.9%, which, as we craft drinkers know, really isn't that high at all. It's subtle, but there. The flavor is really sweet... sweeter than most AAL's I've had. Really gets cloying as I drink more and more, actually. Corn syrupy, to be honest. Sure the ABV's a bit higher, but not THAT high. The feel is really carbonated with a foaminess.

I've had worse, but not much worse. The corniness seems to come out of this more than other AAL's I've had. The trace of alcohol in the flavor/aroma confuses me. The flavor is too heavy on the corn. At $1.49 for a 24oz can it's what you'd expect... shitty quality, but it IS pretty drinkable. Probably wouldn't bother with this one again... though I will say that the price is hard to beat for the ABV. I'd rather have this over a Bud Light or mostly any other light beer, for sure. (953 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

For the price, you can't really go wrong. Very clear appearance, nominal aroma, with the faintest hint of malt and alcohol. A very crisp taste, you can taste the alcohol, which for an ice beer, I suppose you are hoping for. A classic drink of the college elite. (261 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is not bad for the price.
Appreance: clear pale apperance some lacing
Smell has a clean aroma some small amount of alcohol.
TAste : prett crisp with a light body some hops. Alcohol comes up on your tongue. It is not bad for an ice beer at $6.99 at 12-pack but does not up to par stick with Trader Joes cheap beer. (325 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -21.3%

24 fl oz. can, with best by date on bottom best before July 22, 2013. Another American adjunct lager from Miller, so I pretty much know what to expect, but I'm going in as unbiased as possible.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours the typical clear golden colored lager we all know and expect, with about one finger of audibly sizzling fizzy white head, which disappears within seconds. No lacing.

S - Has that classic Miller smell that I've come to expect now also. Chemically treated corn and corn husk, stale dusty malts, and old man sweat. Hint of artificial sweetness.

T - Grainy, chemically treated corn and malts. Carbonation. Touch of sweetness. Tastes pretty damn similar to a Miller Lite, if you ask me. Noticeably more crisp and appley, though. Not sickeningly sweet with any medicinal cough syrup like taste either, which is a good thing also.

M - Feel is pretty neutral, no real action happening. Clean enough, smooth, and crisp on the tongue. Doesn't deviate much from a Miller Lite, except smoother and less bloating.

Overall, we all know the territory this beer lies in. To give it credit, it is probably the best American adjunct lager I've had from Miller yet. Inoffensive, but pretty boring. A nice palate cleanser, and a decent alcohol delivery vehicle at 5.90% abv.

Miller Milwaukee's Best Ice ---2/5 (1,344 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -10%

Straight pour from a 40oz screw-top bottle to a 25cl Duvel Single tulip—because otherwise I wouldn’t even be trying, and what’s the fun in that? Might as well give it a fighting chance. Freshness date of February 25, 2013 printed in yellow ink on the shoulder of the bottle (“FEB2513 C08040818”).

Appearance (4.5): Three fingers of bone-white head rise easily off of the pour, showing some crackly, fat bubbles. Surprisingly, this shows some really good rentention and the lacing is just fucking baller—nice webs, lots of clumps all over. Body is a pale, sunshiney yellow and crystal clear.

Smell (2.0): Sweet corn, some white bread, and the aroma of puffed rice cereal like Rice Krispies. It’s not unpleasant, but it’s just simply lacking in body and character. All very light, crisp, pale, and watery. Not terrible, probably below average for the style.

Taste (1.75): A bit of pale malt character like water crackers or common crackers, along with some cooked vegetables, are the most prominent notes here. Some cabbage water, but watered down, if that’s possible. Hops? Hops? No hops. Tiny bit of apple juice sweetness comes through from underneath. Not exactly offensive, but really unremarkable.

Mouthfeel (2.0): Light and fizzy, with soft carbonation—a soft tingle here and there, and just watery and swishy. Refreshing, I suppose. Underwhelming.

Overall (2.5): It’s a light-bodied, underpowered AAL. What did you expect, going into it? I certainly didn’t have high expectations but frankly was blown away by the appearance, if nothing else. Everything else was unimpressive, at best. RIDE THE BEAST. (1,640 characters)

2.77/5  rDev +15.9%

I have to say this was the go to cheap beer for me.
The appearance of beast ice was seldom seen, but when poured into a glass it forms a decent head and is dark yellow.
The smell is of straw and whatever container it has been in, and alcohol.
Taste is rough on first drink, then becomes rather easy to swallow after carbonation subsides, especially in can that is semi-warm.
When drinking this beast of a beer, beware, your mouth will love to hate you, bring tic-tacs.
Overall this beer is great to get drunk and have a party with, campfire, or just by yourself watching UK dominate at bball! (592 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -10.5%

Beast Ice

Poured from a 40oz bottle into a large mug. The color is golden yellow. Perfect clarity. Well retaining white froth leaving lace. Looks ok.

Smells of graininess and extractives of malt. Actually smells like the cheap beer found in solo cups at beer pong events. In the flavor, mostly flavorless with bland malt sweetness, spent hops, and veggies. For the most part it is inoffensive, with only mild off flavors. Remains mostly flavorless, with most flavors either bland or not tasty .

Watery feel, light bodied, slick. Leaves a poor after taste.

Overall, this is not something I can recommend, flavorless iced lager. (630 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured into a pils glass from a 24 oz. can.

3.5 A: Clear dark yellow color. Two and a half fingers of frothy white head. Retention isn't too bad and a decent amount of lacing is left.

2.0 S: After having Beast Light, this is a hell of a lot more potent. Usually, bad being more potent equals worse, but I like this one more. It smells less like rice somehow and while it doesn't do much, it does stimulate a few more receptors in my nose. Very faint graininess.

1.5 T: The taste, however, is repulsive. It has no "beer taste" to it. Rather, it just tastes like polluted rice water. Again a light graininess.

2.0 M: Lighter medium body. Carbonation level is reasonable. Not a lot of creaminess though. Heavy on the tongue.

1.5 D: Bad fucking taste. (753 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +88.7%

I don't think this beer has a poor taste to it like others have said.
It's really true that it gets a bad review because of it's "cheap" price before anyone has ever even tried it. I actually had a friend with me once and we had $20 between the two of us and the goal of the night was to get drunk on that $20.
I grabbed a 30 pack of this for $12 (Oklahoma) and he looked at me like I was bat $hit crazy and said "Are you kidding me? That is disgusting!?" So, I asked him if he had tried it and he said that if it is cheaper than Keystone, it's basically a biohazard.

And then he tried it.. changed his tune and said that it wasn't bad for a cheap drunk and that it was cost-efficient.

Therefore: Try It. (706 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +42.3%

It's 5.9% alcohol and always ON SALE ! ! !

More body than most of the American piss water in a can, it's definitely got the run-of-the-mill commercial canned beer beat to death. As has been noted herein, it's a redneck beer, the one to drink when you're having more than one . . . in the safe company of a designated driver.

The 16 oz can (5.9% alcohol) six pack goes on sale all the time, $5.79 plus deposit. Do the math. That's less than a buck per pint.

You can drink it straight out of the can, but it tastes better in a chilled mug. Goes well with the appropriate red-neck food: Pizza, ribs, chicken, chili, chips, pretzels, pepperoni.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do understand brewing, but there are times when you want cheap beer and lots of it -- like at keg parties. (782 characters)

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.