Milwaukee's Best Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Ice Alström Bros
LooseMoose1978

01-20-2013 02:55:12 | More by LooseMoose1978
bigmoose125

07-12-2012 03:13:48 | More by bigmoose125
Diz0915

4.53/5  rDev +124.3%

I don't think this beer has a poor taste to it like others have said.
It's really true that it gets a bad review because of it's "cheap" price before anyone has ever even tried it. I actually had a friend with me once and we had $20 between the two of us and the goal of the night was to get drunk on that $20.
I grabbed a 30 pack of this for $12 (Oklahoma) and he looked at me like I was bat $hit crazy and said "Are you kidding me? That is disgusting!?" So, I asked him if he had tried it and he said that if it is cheaper than Keystone, it's basically a biohazard.

And then he tried it.. changed his tune and said that it wasn't bad for a cheap drunk and that it was cost-efficient.

Therefore: Try It.

mdt88

10-07-2013 23:27:54 | More by mdt88
boogieman

3.98/5  rDev +97%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I bought a 24 pack of this for $13 at the local liquor store just to try it out. I've drank it warm and cold, straight from the can, and from my beer glass.
It's a golden yellow color, similar to what you'd expect from most cheap American macrobreweries. Brief high head that settles down really quickly, leaving just a circle of thin foam around the edge of the glass. Minimal lacing. I wish there would have been more. Smell is similar to most cheap beers, sweetness, corn, and malty wheat, but I thought it was stronger and more defined than I usually expect from cheap beers.
Taste was overwhelmingly metallic(probably because of the can) water, corn, malt, and kinda a weird understaste that reminded me of bubblegum. A sweet short-lasting aftertaste. The mouthfeel was ok. Not too impressive. It was fairly smooth, which I liked.
As far as cheap beers go, this is my favorite. I don't expect much for $.50/can, and this one surpassed my expectations. It's got the strongest most defined flavor IMHO, a higher alcohol content than many of the other cheap beers, so it's great for a party, but also really easy drinking for just a day relaxing.

07-18-2014 03:56:21 | More by boogieman
dakeynr

3.95/5  rDev +95.5%

To me, tastes like a Milwaukee's Best concentrated. And I like Milwaukee's Best sometimes. Hell, I like most beers, sometimes. (Most. Not all.) This is a good beer.

Serve this one cold, very cold. Kind of sweet taste, typical of a lager that approaches this level of alcohol. A bit of alcohol on the tongue. But not overpowering.

It will go with any food you choose. Burgers and Dogs? Check. Spaghetti? Pizza? Wings? Check, check Check! Cheese??? Check!

The same cannot be said for a Guinness, say, or that hoppy IPA, or that sour lambic or the thick and tasty stout. They all have their place and time. But for the all around go with for any occasion, this is very good.

At nearly 6% ABV, this may not be the best session beer for some.

I recommend trying it. What the hell? You don't have much to lose, and you might just find an overlooked gem - to your taste buds anyway. And who cares what any body else tastebuds say?

04-08-2011 03:24:24 | More by dakeynr
joepiekarski

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev +95.5%

Why I like this...I cannot tell you. But I do. It is very drinkable for a cheap beer. Perhaps it's the 'ice brewing' (aka extra alcohol) that makes this one extra drinkable. Very sweet, very corn-tasting. Would rather drink this than other cheap brews.

09-13-2008 03:16:31 | More by joepiekarski
DrainBamage

3.95/5  rDev +95.5%

Pours a pale golden color and has a decent head retention with a nice lace. Smell is mostly corn, but I can detect a hint of malt. Goes down pretty and is very dry with basically no bitterness. Like the smell, the taste is mostly corn, but does have that ice flavor to it. I don't care for adjunct lagers very much, but rating this with the style in mind, it is a pretty good beer.

02-13-2008 05:16:29 | More by DrainBamage
beerprovedwright

Georgia

3.9/5  rDev +93.1%

Pours nicely out of the can, seeing I can't find it in a bottle...don't even know if it comes that way. Not a lot of head and little lasting power. Light lacing around my mug that does cling to the side of the mug. The color is a medium light amber rating a 7 on the SRM chart. Smells like malt and corn, a little on the musty side. Quite bland on the tongue and palette...not a lot of zip. Has a bit of a bite and a harshness that gets your attention. Oooo but the real fruit of the matter the buzz of the alcohol hits you quickly. Something about the harshness and buzz that gives it a reserved corner in my fridge. Now for the availability and the price. Here is where this beer shines. I like the taste....it grows on you. If the flavor is not quite to your liking....have a couple of your choice brews and then have these. Talk about getting a bang for the buck, this is where it is at. 5.9 percent of the thing we drink beer for at less than $.50 a 12oz...can't see where you can go wrong. The Beast is like a staple of beer in my place. This is a real party beer, good for those who don't want to shell out a lot of green for a good time. And those who come for the free ride...beggar's can't be choosers.

08-27-2010 22:46:22 | More by beerprovedwright
keeganfrank

3.85/5  rDev +90.6%

Ah, the Yeti. Perfect for the times when it's all about becoming intoxicated as cheaply as possible. The kind of beer that should only be consumed from large containers. Aromas of crisp grass and sweet vegetables. Sometimes it has a sweet, malty flavor; sometimes it tastes dry and grainy; sometimes it tastes like candy. There's usually a slight metallic aftertaste. It never tastes bad, though. I reach for the Beast Ice whenever the urge arises to sit on my porch and drink a 40 on a hot afternoon.

05-12-2011 18:49:22 | More by keeganfrank
BeerCan-noiseur

3.85/5  rDev +90.6%

It's a nice can of beer. Very distinctive. It has a good head and good carbonation. Is it Guinness? No. Is there a better beer you can buy for 50 cents a can? No. Does it fit the parameters? Yes. 5.9% alcohol and 144 calories. It's like drinking two beers for one. Two cans of light beer are about 150 calories and will probably run you about $1.50 and you'll still only get about 6.0% alcohol total. If you buy the 30 pack it'll last you a month. I'm disappointed that othe reviewers don't see the value of this beer.

07-15-2012 04:05:28 | More by BeerCan-noiseur
touchofsandusky

3.8/5  rDev +88.1%

First of all, don't listen to most people. To really appreciate any beer, you really need to have a long-term commitment.

Firstly, this is not a "premium" beer. It's economical. Think about it; a 12-pack for $5.99. TWELVE BEERS. SIX DOLLARS.

Not only is it twelve beers for six dollars, it's 5.9%!

This is the go-to beer for rednecks (at least in my area), and there is a dang good reason for this. It's cheap, it's effective (in terms of getting drunk) and it's readily available at any local gas station or convenience store. This is NOT the beer for someone who drinks beer for flavor... which I've never quite understood myself, but that's besides the point. Anyone who -really- drinks knows that beers that taste good usually come with a headache or indegestion. Milwaukees Best is what I would consider the BEST beer because it's cheap, readily available, has high alcohol percentage, and doesn't taste like pee in a can. It's very drinkable, and very economical. Good for shotguns, or for mooching bros or beer bong.

Bottom line is, the people that give this beer BAD reviews won't know what their missing until it's gone. Sure, I enjoy a "good" tasting beer occasionally... but I don't want the BEST to dissappear because a bunch of reviewers felt like talking smack about a beer that they didn't even understand. It's good, potent, and CHEAP. And it doesn't taste too bad either. I just mentioned FOUR positive things, and there is no disputing any of them. Keep this on the market, and I'll keep buying it. I only drink the BEST.

08-13-2012 05:11:10 | More by touchofsandusky
psugrad98

3.8/5  rDev +88.1%

Surprisingly good for "beast". Light straw in color with fast rising bubbles and rich head. Almost no lace. Slightly malt sweet flavor with metallic corn and cooked veggie flavor. Surprisingly, this works pretty well. Not a bad beer when drinking just to wet your whistle.

08-11-2002 17:55:40 | More by psugrad98
PintOHops

3.78/5  rDev +87.1%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared a highly carbonated, ultra clear yellow/gold with a 2 finger head & above average retention (Didn't fade in 4 seconds) Lacing was very broken & splotchy, above average again. Smelled of lots & lots of clean grainy rice aroma with some astringent qualities to it. Bright fruity grape/pair notes follow, bit of citrus notes with some subtle corn, but nothing metallic or off putting. Very clean.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of ultra clean rice & grain, mild cooked vegetables, and it finished with some pretty apparent bitterness, although it was pretty stale, it was there. As it warms a touch of alcohol & fruity apple flavors show, but subtle & nothing metallic. Mouthfeel was highly carbonated & very crisp, actually not ultra lite/thin, it was around lite-medium bodied, on the liter side though & perfect for the style.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well I got to say, this beer is not that bad at all, which really surprised me because I got this once before and noticed lots of metallic twang, this time around, not at all! It is what it is, which is to say cheap, easy drinking, low on cash have a good time kind of beer. I actually prefer this over Natty Ice, extremely drinkable, one could drink as many as wanted no problem. It's no Stone Ale, or something like that, but it doesn't suck, low on cash, tired of drinking Malt Liquor, this is the beer to buy. Cheers!

08-03-2009 22:58:36 | More by PintOHops

07-25-2013 20:15:52 | More by mwar
Spikester

Oregon

3.69/5  rDev +82.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Rich gold color with a thick white head that fades rather quickly but leaves some very good clumpy lacing.
Smell is rich grains with a slight touch of metallic copper.
Taste is very much like the smell grainy malts sweet but not cloying. Hops are not there in any meaningful way.
This golden beer is quite close to the old malt liquors of my youth. Beer that is made as easy drinking as possible with just a micro amount of hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium and lightly dry.
Some ethanol note was detected for the first taste or two.

01-22-2009 05:05:51 | More by Spikester
ElCommodoro

3.53/5  rDev +74.8%

Smell is of old man beer: old wet grains. I don't know what it looks like because I drank it straight out of the can.
It tasted just like it smelled. It had a very nice old man beer flavour. That classic "bad beer" taste. It may have been a little over the top and it was surprisingly bad to pair with hot dogs, probably because it was a bit too boozy for that. But it really wasn't too bad. The taste might have been a little too "bold," but often times I like that in an adjunct lager. I don't know why this is rated so badly. It's got a good, classic taste to it. It's not tasteless or overly carbonated or starch or chemically. It just tastes like a good strong, old fashioned beer. Like an adjunct lager should. Decent stuff. Very...decent.

03-13-2012 12:12:08 | More by ElCommodoro
granger10

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev +73.3%

Having this after the Lucky Number might have made me respect it more than I would normally. Clear gold color with a smallish fizzy head. Head dies but good amount of bubbles rise. Smell is not too much but more of a macro beer smell. Taste isn't too bad. Not really any off flavors. A touch of hops combine with the adjunct malts making it not so nasty sweet like most cheaper beers are. Not too much flavor, just a pale malt flavor with a slightly bitter counterpart. Body is lighter, alcohol is noticeable on the tongue but doesn't burn. Fairly drinkable really. Good for its price and style.

09-18-2006 20:16:11 | More by granger10

OldRickSputin

06-25-2014 03:27:47 | More by OldRickSputin
AllisonWunderland

3.4/5  rDev +68.3%

It's 5.9% alcohol and always ON SALE ! ! !

More body than most of the American piss water in a can, it's definitely got the run-of-the-mill commercial canned beer beat to death. As has been noted herein, it's a redneck beer, the one to drink when you're having more than one . . . in the safe company of a designated driver.

The 16 oz can (5.9% alcohol) six pack goes on sale all the time, $5.79 plus deposit. Do the math. That's less than a buck per pint.

You can drink it straight out of the can, but it tastes better in a chilled mug. Goes well with the appropriate red-neck food: Pizza, ribs, chicken, chili, chips, pretzels, pepperoni.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do understand brewing, but there are times when you want cheap beer and lots of it -- like at keg parties.

08-18-2012 21:38:49 | More by AllisonWunderland
aksavi

Georgia

3.4/5  rDev +68.3%

This is a cheap beer, at $12.02 after tax for a case it is the cheapest I can find in this area. I rate everything except drinkability at 3.0, because I don't take time to notice nit picky bullshit things like that. They don't matter. All that matters in a beer is if it gets you drunk. And drunk I am. 5.9% alc/vol. This is the only beer I drink. I go thru about 6 cans a day, many many more when I don't have to work in the monring (yes, I'm an alcoholic), and I find it exceptionally drinkable. If you are on a budget, or just don't give a shit about anything except getting wasted, this is the beer for you.

08-19-2005 04:26:36 | More by aksavi
Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.