Milwaukee's Best Ice | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

Reviews: 191 | Ratings: 616
2.96/5  rDev +31%

looks nice, golden appearance leaves a few spots of lace.

grains and sweet corn on the nose, taste is basicaly the same, noticable booze. overall pretty drinkable and tasteless but its still beer :D

3.1/5  rDev +37.2%

A - really I don't know why I could down grade the appearance, it's clear golden, with a white head that sticks and leaves spotty lacing like lagers are supposed to be
S - corn, corn, corn, light grains, slight peppery bite
T - corn, light grains, slight bite to it, honestly not bad
M - nice and light, alcohol covered, aftertaste is more corn, light grains, slight bitter bite
O - you know there's a reason this is a beer you can find anywhere, it has the light cheap lager thing down, I prefer it and the other old mil's over the other aal's too

2.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A chip off the Old Miller block.

Low color, high alcohol, fizzy yellow stuff with a kick. Usually I don't notice alcohol in these ice beers but there seems to be a touch of it here. I can't really say it doesn't also have a slightly different flavor profile than the other ices because I usually drink them so cold any flavor there is iced over. Yes, that was a pun.

This stuff will get you buzzy as a bee.

When you're scrounging the couch cushions for change hoping to find enough for beer this would be a logical choice.

3.23/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I drank this out of a 40 so i could not really see the look, however it looked like it would have a nice head with good carbonation. The smell was an equal amount of malt and sour grain. The taste was extremely smooth with a powerful malt aftertaste.

2.04/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Bright yellow, 1/2" white head, retention sucks. Lots of boozy alcohol in the aroma, sweet corn, metal.

Taste is hot alcohol, bitterness is substantial actually despite almost no hop flavors. Has lots of flavor, just not the ideal kind. If you're drinking this, you want cheap, alcohol.

3.08/5  rDev +36.3%

This is a bargain when you're poor and need to get a solid buzz 3 times for cheap. It's got a boozy taste and finish given its rather low alcohol which has gone back and forth from 5.5 to 5.9%. Otherwise it's your typical cheap adjunct ice lager.

Terrible.

I don't know how to review a beer, so just take what you want. I'm not going to click the link that says "How to Review a Beer," I'm busy.

This beer is THICK, HEAVY-BODIED, SYRUPY.

Is like CORN. CORN Syrup. Thick like Syrup.

Sickeningly SWEET (I hate it when people say that, but I said it.)

Ever had a SWEET beer? Me either. YUCK. The first time I drank this beer I was already SMASHED, so it went down SOOOO SMOOTH, seriously-- it IS an easy drink if you are BEYOND the realm of TASTE.

But if this is your first drink of the evening, your mouth will have trouble handling it. It is heavy like you would expect a stout to be. It has zero bitterness, which some people may like, but the trade-off is that it is disgustingly SWEET instead.

I have not drank beer in a very, very long time-- and have only recently been trying some random beers-- typically macro brews since they are what's available-- I know it's not REALLY relevant to this review, but it may help anybody else to know that I do NOT like beers such as Natural Light/Ice (too watery/bitter from memory alone), Coors Light (too watery-- no flavor-- disgusting), Keystone Light (water)--- The only macro brews I have had recently that I liked was Budweiser and Bud Light, but even then, I got sick of the taste of both--- the nostalgia wore off quickly and Bud Light has zero body or depth and Bud reg is too CORNY, *almost* sweet as well.

I consider this beer to be somewhere BETWEEN Bud Light and Budweiser, but closest to Budweiser in all aspects-- look, feel, taste, etc--- irritating after a few drinks.

I think I like something that is LIGHTER in body, but has the depth of flavor. Like, I said, I do not know how to review beer-- frankly, I do not know what HOPS taste like alone since there is nothing else I have ever consumed that has contained hops besides beer, so I do not know what "hoppy" means. Nor do I know what "malty" means unless we're talking about London Pub Malt Vinegar that you would have on fish.

For the price, I don't think many would be as picky as I am-- but I'm not just looking to get drunk, I'm looking to enjoy the taste. If you are looking for a college beer (which I'm well beyond at this point in my life) or a beer that's good to funnel/beer bong, then this would be great.

It's so syrupy, it's almost FLAT. Carbonation is hardly noticeable, but it's there. It's just not for me. I only bought it because I seriously thought I was being a LITTLE snobby.

2.59/5  rDev +14.6%

Alcohol is present on the nose as well as the tongue. At 5.9% the booze starts to shine through. We used to sell the hell out of "suitcases" of the stuff. Color is straw. Head retained itself. Smelled of adjuncts and booze. Tasted smooth, but the booze shone through.

4.09/5  rDev +81%

L: fine. yellow. lagerish
S: Your typical skunky but less skunky than typical. smells more alcoholish than skunkyish
T: fine. smooth as silk. teensy weensy notes of both hops and malt on the finish. remarkably satisfying. not to hoppy, not to malty.
F: surprisingly medium bodied.

Snobbers gonna snob. This beer is just right on the low-priced man's tongue and it gets me buzzed quickly because I can down them or just sip them.

2.91/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Sampled back on Monday 10/5/15. Comes in a 12-ounce can. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage "MILLER HIGH LIFE" goblet.

Brew pours a golden straw-yellow in color with a thin white head. Some light spotty lacing was seen when sipped. Aroma is of sweet corn (like many of this brew style does) and grain for the most part. The taste is about the same with some 'alcohol' and some hops also. Drinkable but nothing special. Better than expected for a cheap beer. Lighter bodied with good carbonation.

3.56/5  rDev +57.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This brew is much better than what the Beer average beer connoisseur would consider. A clear golden color with a minimal white head. A nice malt flavor that is very refreshing. A pleasant and affordable surprise.

2.48/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 oz can served in a goblet.

Fizzy amber body with a quickly vanishing head.

Very light body with prickly carbonation.

Aroma: faint and lightly sweet

Flavor: light hops and minimal malts with an aftertaste of corn.

O: drinkable; i.e., a bit better than expected.

2.95/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

ultimate getting drunk college beer pong.. great memories. can crush it and higher in alcohol for same price as the regular. what more can you ask for.

2.53/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's brewed to be a cheap beer and delivers same. Very thin, low malt flavor, almost no hops and corn corn corn. Another good example of macro beer.

3.18/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of active visible carbonation and faint medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense foamy white head that quickly reduces to a large patch of mottled thin film surrounded by a very thin film covering the reminder of the surface of the beer and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to heavy amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grainy malt and corn adjuncts with a light aroma of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a moderate flavor of grainy malts with corn and rice adjuncts. That is followed by light flavors of grassy hops which imparts a light amount of bitterness which fades away quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Crisp

O: This was much better than I was expecting with an easy to drink light overall flavor and aroma - alcohol was well hidden and it was more enjoyable than I remembered it from my college days. Not a beer that I will be running out to get again but not bad.

4.7/5  rDev +108%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

L: Very attrative..almost seductively inviting. Pours with a wonderful, light and creamy head. S: A hint of beer smell...probably because this is beer. T: Fantastic surprise. A truly great experience. One of the best beers ever....by anyone's standards. Creamy, smooth with fresh, crisp hops. F: Very satisfying and pure drinkability. One of the top 5 beers I have ever had....and I have been drinking many, many beers for 60 years! Overall: Craft and micro brews cannot hold a candle to this legend - plus at 5.9 ABV it ranks at the top of a truly man's beer. Pure craftmanship at its finest!

Pours a clear light gold color with white head. Cereal grains and a little skunk on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied for an ice beer. Finishes with boozy grain.

2.68/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3

This is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It looks way better than you'd expect, and it pours a surprisingly thick and creamy head. It actually has some flavor (tasted similar to PBR to me but not nearly as good, kind of a creamed corn taste. Tastes cheap to be sure, but it could be worse) but it could go down much smoother. It's also extremely cheap. This is the perfect beer for kids in college who just want to get drunk.

2.27/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

40oz plastic bottle poured into a pint glass

A- pours a bright golden color with a two-finger foamy and sudsy white head that reduces to skim the top long after that pour

S- fairly clean aroma, some grain, metal, cooked corn, no trace of hops

T- lightly sweet creamed corn up front, but pretty clean. Faint whispers of grass before finishing lean with a toasted grain linger

M- light body with moderate carbonation leads to a slightly foamy mouthfeel and a crisp dry finish

O- this is one of the most drinkable AAL that I've had. It doesn't have that off-putting finish that most do. Not much flavor, but compared to others in it's class, pretty good

1.83/5  rDev -19%

I picked this 12 pack of cans up last night for my friend and I. We are both having life issues and hey, its a guys night totally, we were just going to get wasted and forget about everything for a night...So him and I ordered a couple of cheap ass pizzas, and I went to pick up some CHEAP ASS BEER.

At $7.98 for a 12 pack (or $13 for a 30 pack which we obviously didnt need!), this definitely qualified for cheap beer. It's what I was going for. I wanted practically the cheapest crap I could find (okay, it was 3rd cheapest next to Hurricane and Steel Reserve) that hopefully still had good flavor. Naturally I picked up "ICE" and not "Light" for that reason.

So with one can left in my possession I dedicate it to you beer lovers.

Aroma (2) : corn, tin, malt aromas. Seltzer water. Smells like coors light, spot on.

Taste (1.75) very watery, very corny (but not in a high life way, more like a bad roasted malted corn flavor), tin, stale malt, rotten garbage and rotten hop. A staunch alcohol flavor floats around. It is just rather terrible unless you're too inebriated to know the difference.

Mouthfeel (1.75) : watery and carbonated.

Overall (1.83) : I gave the rest of the 12 pack to my friend and he left the three slices of pizza. I got the better end of the deal. We are not huge drinkers so he got six cans to take home. I still got the better deal. I never expected much to begin with, but this is truly horrible even then. Would not buy again, not even for $2 a 12 pack. Yeah it's a terrible beer - tastes like miller lite's reject batch from experiments gone wrong.

3.95/5  rDev +74.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

I bought a 24 pack of this for $13 at the local liquor store just to try it out. I've drank it warm and cold, straight from the can, and from my beer glass.
It's a golden yellow color, similar to what you'd expect from most cheap American macrobreweries. Brief high head that settles down really quickly, leaving just a circle of thin foam around the edge of the glass. Minimal lacing. I wish there would have been more. Smell is similar to most cheap beers, sweetness, corn, and malty wheat, but I thought it was stronger and more defined than I usually expect from cheap beers.
Taste was overwhelmingly metallic(probably because of the can) water, corn, malt, and kinda a weird understaste that reminded me of bubblegum. A sweet short-lasting aftertaste. The mouthfeel was ok. Not too impressive. It was fairly smooth, which I liked.
As far as cheap beers go, this is my favorite. I don't expect much for $.50/can, and this one surpassed my expectations. It's got the strongest most defined flavor IMHO, a higher alcohol content than many of the other cheap beers, so it's great for a party, but also really easy drinking for just a day relaxing.

3.3/5  rDev +46%

I don't understand the piss poor ratings for this. Tastewise this beer is pretty decent. It tastes like a mixture of miller light and malt liquor, and as an ice brew thats practically what it is. There is a strong grain and corn taste to it, but its not offensive. Don't let it get warm though or you will get some bad tastes. Carbonation is a bit high for my taste, but not absurd. For what it is it's pretty good and I find myself actually enjoying them.

3.06/5  rDev +35.4%

Milwaukee's Best Ice Brewed by the Miller. This brew has an Abv of 5.9. This beer pours out of the can a nice amber color with a white head. The taste is that of an American style lager and malt liquor. It is right in the middle of the two. The beer goes down ok for being a higher abv, than other brews on the market. Nothing bad but nothing special . Overall I give this brew a 3 out of 5.

3.16/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Serving: 32oz can poured into snifters
Served: 7 February 2014

Appearance: Crystal clear pale yellow with just a faint hint of golden depth. Soapy white head on top. Good lacing.

Smell: Clean, nothing off-putting about it. Simple "beer" smell with some corny sweetness to it.

Taste: Much like the smell, this one tastes like one would expect for an AAL. Not cloyingly sweet but also not picking up any of the strange earthiness I also sometimes get in AALs. Not half bad for what it is.

Mouthfeel: Light and bubbly, just as one would expect.

Overall: Overall, this beer is certainly nothing to write home about. It's a party beer, for sure- a cheap option that you can buy massive quantities of for little money. I got a 32oz can for $1.70 and used it to wash down eight chili cheese dogs. It did it's job, and in a great way. I would certainly consider this for a college kegger.

2.73/5  rDev +20.8%

A reviewer before me typed it best, "A good cheap, get drunk kinda beer" Many friends of mine call it the "Hangover Central Beer" I don't know if they are recalling college mornings or they are just closet alcoholics that drink till they pass out, but I've never experienced this from this beer.

Before the basics, I will say out of all the Milwaukee's, (reg, light, ice) The Ice is the best for flavor's sake because it's the smoothest. I don't know why. I drink beer, not brew it.

With that said, semi-sharp hop smell, bitey but smooth hoppy mouthfeel. No tracing in my glass when I poured it out of a can. Appearance is a boring typical gold color, (doesn't bother me though)

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.