Milwaukee's Best Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Ice Alström Bros
shadow1961

2.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Milwaukee's Best Ice pours a couple fingers of
loose foam over a clear dark yellow brew. The
can states that it's been "ice brewed from the
finest quality malted barley, selected grains, and
choicest hops" for a "crisp, bold taste". Heaven in
a 24 ounce can, on sale at Essers for 99¢ apiece.

That head collapses pretty quickly, and the nose
indicates corn and rice among the selected grains.
The flavor is light and slightly sweet with a boiled
vegetal note. Mouthfeel is light and thin. This not as
quite as watery as a lot of macro lagers, but it's still
awfully thin, and awfully not there.

Swill.

01-14-2008 06:29:51 | More by shadow1961
stephendr

2.2/5  rDev +8.9%

twelve ounce aluminum can- color of pale yellow , with a frothy white head - nose of grass, sweet, grass, lemon, white rice, and dry – taste of artificially sweet, sour, and rice- body is light, and oily, and with medium high carbonation – aftertaste of sweet, and bad vegetation

01-04-2008 04:54:28 | More by stephendr
berserker256

1.63/5  rDev -19.3%

The beer LOOKS ok. Dark gold with a full soapy head. But I think appearance is its only strongpoint. It smells like metal and cheap ingredients. Old musty malt and wet hay. It tastes like any cheap malt liquor to me. St. Ides or Olde English or any type of cheap higher alcohol 40oz. I used to buy when I was young and broke. Kind of heavy and not very pleasant to drink. I bought a 40oz. for $1.89 just for the hell of it. I probably won't again.

11-29-2007 21:47:27 | More by berserker256
Hibernator

2.63/5  rDev +30.2%

Milwaukee's Best Ice
12 oz can
Jet ink #09247 B50766
Served in a pilsner glass

Pours a mustard yellow with an orange tint. Decent head on top. Mini carbonation bubbles race to the top of the glass.

Whiffs of corn, cereal and grains.

Flavors of dry grain and corn are present with a sweet honey backdrop. Every other sip has a slight alcohol sharpness on the finish. One of those beers that is better out of the can and cold.

Clearly not the best beer option, but I can make this work. The 5.9% ABV & price tag deserve mention.

09-14-2007 00:15:08 | More by Hibernator
boxvic

Kentucky

2.4/5  rDev +18.8%

If you buy this expecting something that will compete with the expensive beers then you are wasting your money.

That said, I recommend this beer to anyone who drinks macro brews on a regular basis. It definitely has a Miller taste to it, I can taste a faint hint of High Life in there; but this finishes much more crisp... and by the end of the night you'll finish much more lit.

There are two ways to drink beer, 1) like a fine wine and 2) over the gums and down the throat. Most people who drink macro brews (myself included) don't let the beer touch much of the mouth, it just goes straight down. If you are this type of drinker then this is a good one when you really want to get trashed- and not spend that much.

If I want something that taste good, I buy Blue Moon. Normally I buy Busch or Budweiser for a nights worth of drinking. When I'm broke, I buy Beast Ice. Less than six bucks for a 12 pack here. To tell you the truth, the reason I don't buy it more is because at 5.9% ABV I tend to regret the night before.

09-07-2007 02:28:21 | More by boxvic
elgiacomo

Georgia

This, unfortunately, was the beer I "grew up" on. My stepdad drank this and I had more of these than I'd like to admit. Without a doubt, the worst beer I've ever had, even comparing to other cheap macros. The higher alcohol content isn't enough to make this worthwhile. The taste is just horrible...I cringe just thinking about it. The only way to even attempt to drink this is ICE cold and FAST. Even then it is quite putrid. Let it warm even a couple of degrees and you are in for a whole mouthful of funk. Avoid at all costs. There are better cheap macros to get you drunk.

08-21-2007 01:27:04 | More by elgiacomo
nosbocaj

Oregon

1.45/5  rDev -28.2%

I bought this for two reasons. One, it was $11.99 for a 30 Pack. Two, it's 5.9% ABV. If you want to get drunk and you don't care about taste, appearance, smell, having a horrible hangover and feeling like crap for 24 hours, then this is the beer for you. Otherwise, cough up a few extra dollars and get something that doesn't taste like the water that builds up at the bottom of a trash can.

08-13-2007 23:28:19 | More by nosbocaj
Bamabrew22

Alabama

2.63/5  rDev +30.2%

Quaffed a few of these on the golf course recently. I guess I was drawn in by the 5.9% ABV and the price was certainly right. Pale straw in appearance. No noticeable smell. Slightly sweet in taste, not bad, but not great. Overall, not a bad macro choice on a hot day. Provided ample refreshment and booze on the golf course.

07-05-2007 14:34:02 | More by Bamabrew22
neenerzig

1.45/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Someone recently left a can of this in my fridge recently. thought it might be refreshing in the hot and humid weather we have been having lately here in Cleveland. In a way it was refreshing. On the can it says "ice brewed from the finest quality malty barley, selected grains, and choicest hops". I found that statement to be pretty laughable. Anyone here know what ice brewing is? Never heard of this type/method of brewing before. Poured into my pint glass. This beer pours a light to medium clear golden color. the head is nice and fluffy white when poured and is over an inch thick. it quickly settles to a pretty thin surface layer and leaves behind little lacing. This has sort of a musty smell. Metal and some corn maybe? The aroma was strong enough, just unrecognizable to these nostrils. Not a good thing when it comes to beer IMO. The taste is actually somewhat pleasantly sweet and had more malt presence than I would have expected. However it tastes, well, I guess the best way to put it would be artificial. The flavors do not taste natural, like most beers I am used to. It also tastes metallic. Yuck! I could maybe detect the smallest hint of hops rounding out the flavor, but that could also have been the metallic elements. Also has a crisp, metallic mouthfeel with a light to medium body and moderate carbonation. Overall the taste and mouthfeel are very artificial, metallic, and perhaps skunky. Not fresh at all. The one good thing about this beer is that it certainly is not as watered down flavor wise as some other cheap macro lagers I have had. Easy to drink because this is like drinking metallic, skunked seltzer water as opposed to drinking beer. Not easy to drink in the way beer should be IMO. And I thought MGD and Highlife were bad beers. Avoid this!

Eric

06-29-2007 01:31:02 | More by neenerzig
giblet

2.7/5  rDev +33.7%

I admit that this is the beer that I buy the most. It is cheap. It has 5.9% alcohol. So when I want three or ten of these after work they are ok. Not a bad flavor for a cheap macro. I would rather buy MGD for the taste but this is less costly.

This is another one that is good for the cookouts. Keep it really cold and it will quench the thirst on the hot sunny days. If it gets a little warm pour it into the toilet, because that is what it tastes like.

Trust me, I am highly experienced with this one.

Serve Ice cold.

Cheap.

06-11-2007 12:09:32 | More by giblet
Clockwork420

Missouri

2.38/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Its a cheap macro.

What can I say. Its got a good price, and this one actually doesnt taste half as bad as the others.

I didnt gag after taking drinks either!

Its typical color. Smell kinda like a hoppy water mixture with a good splash of alcohol. Taste isnt great but it doesnt make me feel ill either. Mouthfeel is about the same. Not somthing I wanna swish and savor.

Its great for the float trips and camping where drinkin is ESSENTIAL to surviving.

Not half bad. But not the best.
Next.

05-03-2007 06:37:45 | More by Clockwork420
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.25/5  rDev +11.4%

This review is one half of Macro Smackdown XV, another in my never-ending series of head-to-heads pitting one macro lager against another. Generally speaking, I prefer Pabst products to Miller products, but we'll see if Milwaukee's Best Ice turns the tables and really is the 'Best'. My can of Old Milwaukee Ice includes the tagline ' It doesn't get any better than this!', so it looks like they're both ready to rumble.

Lucent goldenrod, just like the other beer. I might as well have poured from the same can into two different glasses because these two look more identical than any two beers in MacSmack history. The caps are off-white and have a soft creaminess that one doesn't usually see in a macro lager. There's quite a bit of attractive lace as well.

I think I like OMI's nose better, although it isn't enough of a difference for different scores to be granted. This nose is almost a carbon copy of the other one, but is a little more tinny and a little less hoppy. Still though, it isn't as bad as I'd feared.

MBI is a trifle less sweet, but is still sweet compared to most non-ice lagers. The flavor profile is a variation on the Old Milwaukee Ice theme rather than being a completely different beast. It's odd, but both beers seem to be losing flavor as they warm, not gaining it. Maybe it's just the dulling of my taste buds after so many rapidly repeated samples of similar, less than stellar beer.

I might as well repeat the mouthfeel description that I entered for Old Milwaukee Ice since this one is exactly the same: light with a minimal finishing slickness and a lower than usual bubble load. Nothing offensive, but nothing to get excited about either.

Milwaukee's Best Ice has nothing to be ashamed of. Well... maybe it does, but not in the context of this hard-fought competition it doesn't. Although it falls just a wee bit short in the flavor department, it's a beer that I could see myself drinking in a pinch. Ice-cold of course. Not a bad showing Miller. Your beer is still clearly superior to most of what comes out of St. Louis.

04-21-2007 12:16:34 | More by BuckeyeNation
MikeAmelsgone

3.28/5  rDev +62.4%

For $10.99 a thirty pack, this beer is worth every penny spent. It is very economical and some might say you get what you pay for, but for a cheap macro, its fairly good. Definitely suitable for college students. I recommend this beer to anyone with only a few dollars and needs to pick up something that isn't that bad.

03-30-2007 17:27:24 | More by MikeAmelsgone
happygnome

1.85/5  rDev -8.4%

a: a golden color with about a half inch worth of white head that disapears fast leaving no lacing
s: a grainy watery smell adjuncts a hint of alcohol
t: watery grainy hints of alcohol grain strange
m: sharp carbonation watery body

overall this isnt a bad beer for a macro ice strange flavor hints of alcohol in the flavor but i think this is a cheap beer and i drank a lot of it before i turned 21

03-21-2007 23:44:42 | More by happygnome
GeoffRizzo

2.73/5  rDev +35.1%

24 ounce tall oil can. Light golden in color, fizzy and sizzling head that is wiped out rather quickly. Pasty malts and tender grainy hops on the nose, for the style...no complaints here. Fizzy carbonated malt based palate; light cooked veggies with a severe warming alcohol backbone. Palate turns grainy, yet cleansed with slender corn flavorings. Sweet metallic/acidic finsh, for the style not too bad, for the beer advocate, worth passing up.

02-25-2007 01:57:03 | More by GeoffRizzo
Newglarusguy

Wisconsin

2.38/5  rDev +17.8%

Steve says that the Beast "sucks...no excuse for a beer." I can buy that. But since I was low on funds today, about all I could afford was Milwaukee's Best Ice. At a whopping 5.9% alcohol by volume, I figured that after two or three I could forget what I was drinking anyway. I was also raised to believe there is some good in all people and all things. Well, this swill really put my upbringing to the test. Sure, I got drunk. But getting drunk with MB Ice is like making a million dollars as a proctologist for Rosie O'donnell...you might reach your goal, but the journey is far too unpleasant for most. I give this beer two mugs only because being ice-brewed gives it more of a punch, but by God I'm working overtime next week so I can afford something good.

02-15-2007 01:23:09 | More by Newglarusguy
Metalmonk

1.27/5  rDev -37.1%

"...here we dive hysterically and hilariously into the abyss..."

Pours a very clear pale yellow with lots of bubbles and a sizzling rocky head that doesn't retain very well. Although the color sends out some danger signs, it doesn't look foul or anything.

While the smell isn't atrocious, it's clearly bad. It's artificially sweet and unappealingly corn-like, with hops bringing up the rear. There's a weird, alien element to the aroma that I can't nail down, but I know I don't like it. The only good thing about the smell is that it's fairly timid.

The looks and smell weren't exactly abhorrent, so I had some hope for this beer...until I tasted it. Milwaukee's Best Ice is made with malt and hops. This much is clear at the very front of the sip...but no love has gone into it at all. What little flavor there is completely dies out in a matter of seconds, leaving you with a metallic finish and absolutely no memory of what you just tasted. It may not be the most foul beer in the world, but it is easily one of the most forgettable and lame. It's too thin, weirdly sweet (like they used Nutrasweet in the recipe) and predictably metallic. Lacking any kind of depth. I could go on, but why bother?

Mouthfeel is atrocious, sizzling with full-on carbonation and only prolonging the experience that I want to end NOW. And I do. Down the sink it goes.

I rate the drinkability low because I couldn't even finish a glass (and there's still more in the can). It may be very drinkable if you're just looking to pound back a few and get fucked up, and if you also don't care what your beer actually tastes like. But I can't consider this drinkable in any way. This is Milwaukee's best??? I'm sure the city has something better to offer than this swill.

02-08-2007 22:31:37 | More by Metalmonk
matty

3.4/5  rDev +68.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer though not great is probaly the best "bang for your buck" that you can find. A highly corny taste with a powerful punch and low cost makes this the beer of choice for those looking for a quick buzz at a low cost.Very similar to "natty ice".

01-31-2007 00:49:30 | More by matty
RustythePelican

2.17/5  rDev +7.4%

Yes, I've been slumming a bit lately. Poured out of a 24 oz can into a styrofoam cup (I know, I know. . .). The head was impressive, though it quickly dissipated into a dull yellow. It smelled of corn with a hint of the 5.9% alcohol. The taste was standard macro ice fare; a good, beer-tasting beginning, denegrating to strong metallic and alcohol flavors on the finish. It's not a horrible beer, and not a bad accompaniment to tailgating or grilling burgers, but Milwaukee's Best Ice isn't a beer to savor.

01-16-2007 19:57:02 | More by RustythePelican
Adamthome1

Nebraska

2.83/5  rDev +40.1%

Pours corn, hazy from 16 oz can with good carbonation but is probably about all artificial. Happy with the taste, tastes crisp and goes down easy like Mil's Best regular and without a harsh alcohol taste as you might expect. Can detect the toasted adjunct's and leaves a corn grit consistency on the mouth.

Hey ya know I'd say this si the benchmark for macro Ice beers. It's got the flavor of Mil's Best and not only adds the extra alcohol but I think does a better job of masking the alcohol than keystone Ice and Icehouse, for example. Serve Ice cold!! My recipe for success would be to let freeze in cooler then place in freezer 5 minutes before consuming; has a lower freezing point than normal beer because of the extra alcohol.

11-03-2006 16:07:00 | More by Adamthome1
goochpunch

1.7/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours out a brassy gold with a thin ring of bubbles up top and a lot of carbonation in the body. Smells like alcohol, grains, and cooked vegetables. This does have a sickening alcohol, sweetness, corn, and grain quality to it, but there is a bit of malt that shines through at the end, so I give it kudos on that note. Mouthfeel is syrupy, slick, and prickly with bubbles. Just sticks to my tongue. I hate this, and I will never buy this again. High gravity malt liquor is easier going down. WTF, Miller?

10-16-2006 05:10:09 | More by goochpunch
granger10

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev +73.3%

Having this after the Lucky Number might have made me respect it more than I would normally. Clear gold color with a smallish fizzy head. Head dies but good amount of bubbles rise. Smell is not too much but more of a macro beer smell. Taste isn't too bad. Not really any off flavors. A touch of hops combine with the adjunct malts making it not so nasty sweet like most cheaper beers are. Not too much flavor, just a pale malt flavor with a slightly bitter counterpart. Body is lighter, alcohol is noticeable on the tongue but doesn't burn. Fairly drinkable really. Good for its price and style.

09-18-2006 20:16:11 | More by granger10
BuffaloBilly

Okay so my candian friends had some of this stuff, and I had heard stories of the beast before, so I was weary. I was thinking 5.9 ice beer, and remembering the horrid taste of labatts ice. So I cracked one open, I smelt hints of corn and malt, and I must say it wasn't bad at all. Not a great beer by any means, but hey for the money its defiinetly worth a try. Great bargain beer and at 5.9 it gets you hammered.

08-09-2006 17:33:37 | More by BuffaloBilly
Validus

Louisiana

2.28/5  rDev +12.9%

I will start out with the positive aspect of this beer: to quote Dave Chappelle, "It'll get you drunk!"

Other than that, there's not much to write home about here. I concur with the opinion below that this is a "lawnmower beer". It may be the worst beer I've ever smelled. Its odor reminds me of the fraternity house band room the night after a party...and that's not a good thing. Drinkability is fair, but is still hindered by a severe bitterness.

On the bright side, if you are poor and want to get drunk, this doesn't taste any worse than regular Milwaukee's Best and it does the job faster.

08-04-2006 04:32:01 | More by Validus
Drew966

2.75/5  rDev +36.1%

Milwaukee's Best Ice pours a pale yellow with a thick white head from a sixteen ounce can. Very mild, adjunct aromas. Tastes like corn, some metallic flavor as well. Pretty drinkable for a cheap ice beer. Decent and fairly cheap for lawnmower beer, otherwise forget it.

07-22-2006 23:31:20 | More by Drew966
Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.