Milwaukee's Best Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Ice Alström Bros
giblet

2.7/5  rDev +33%

I admit that this is the beer that I buy the most. It is cheap. It has 5.9% alcohol. So when I want three or ten of these after work they are ok. Not a bad flavor for a cheap macro. I would rather buy MGD for the taste but this is less costly.

This is another one that is good for the cookouts. Keep it really cold and it will quench the thirst on the hot sunny days. If it gets a little warm pour it into the toilet, because that is what it tastes like.

Trust me, I am highly experienced with this one.

Serve Ice cold.

Cheap.

06-11-2007 12:09:32 | More by giblet
Clockwork420

Missouri

2.38/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Its a cheap macro.

What can I say. Its got a good price, and this one actually doesnt taste half as bad as the others.

I didnt gag after taking drinks either!

Its typical color. Smell kinda like a hoppy water mixture with a good splash of alcohol. Taste isnt great but it doesnt make me feel ill either. Mouthfeel is about the same. Not somthing I wanna swish and savor.

Its great for the float trips and camping where drinkin is ESSENTIAL to surviving.

Not half bad. But not the best.
Next.

05-03-2007 06:37:45 | More by Clockwork420
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.25/5  rDev +10.8%

This review is one half of Macro Smackdown XV, another in my never-ending series of head-to-heads pitting one macro lager against another. Generally speaking, I prefer Pabst products to Miller products, but we'll see if Milwaukee's Best Ice turns the tables and really is the 'Best'. My can of Old Milwaukee Ice includes the tagline ' It doesn't get any better than this!', so it looks like they're both ready to rumble.

Lucent goldenrod, just like the other beer. I might as well have poured from the same can into two different glasses because these two look more identical than any two beers in MacSmack history. The caps are off-white and have a soft creaminess that one doesn't usually see in a macro lager. There's quite a bit of attractive lace as well.

I think I like OMI's nose better, although it isn't enough of a difference for different scores to be granted. This nose is almost a carbon copy of the other one, but is a little more tinny and a little less hoppy. Still though, it isn't as bad as I'd feared.

MBI is a trifle less sweet, but is still sweet compared to most non-ice lagers. The flavor profile is a variation on the Old Milwaukee Ice theme rather than being a completely different beast. It's odd, but both beers seem to be losing flavor as they warm, not gaining it. Maybe it's just the dulling of my taste buds after so many rapidly repeated samples of similar, less than stellar beer.

I might as well repeat the mouthfeel description that I entered for Old Milwaukee Ice since this one is exactly the same: light with a minimal finishing slickness and a lower than usual bubble load. Nothing offensive, but nothing to get excited about either.

Milwaukee's Best Ice has nothing to be ashamed of. Well... maybe it does, but not in the context of this hard-fought competition it doesn't. Although it falls just a wee bit short in the flavor department, it's a beer that I could see myself drinking in a pinch. Ice-cold of course. Not a bad showing Miller. Your beer is still clearly superior to most of what comes out of St. Louis.

04-21-2007 12:16:34 | More by BuckeyeNation
MikeAmelsgone

3.28/5  rDev +61.6%

For $10.99 a thirty pack, this beer is worth every penny spent. It is very economical and some might say you get what you pay for, but for a cheap macro, its fairly good. Definitely suitable for college students. I recommend this beer to anyone with only a few dollars and needs to pick up something that isn't that bad.

03-30-2007 17:27:24 | More by MikeAmelsgone
happygnome

1.85/5  rDev -8.9%

a: a golden color with about a half inch worth of white head that disapears fast leaving no lacing
s: a grainy watery smell adjuncts a hint of alcohol
t: watery grainy hints of alcohol grain strange
m: sharp carbonation watery body

overall this isnt a bad beer for a macro ice strange flavor hints of alcohol in the flavor but i think this is a cheap beer and i drank a lot of it before i turned 21

03-21-2007 23:44:42 | More by happygnome
GeoffRizzo

2.73/5  rDev +34.5%

24 ounce tall oil can. Light golden in color, fizzy and sizzling head that is wiped out rather quickly. Pasty malts and tender grainy hops on the nose, for the style...no complaints here. Fizzy carbonated malt based palate; light cooked veggies with a severe warming alcohol backbone. Palate turns grainy, yet cleansed with slender corn flavorings. Sweet metallic/acidic finsh, for the style not too bad, for the beer advocate, worth passing up.

02-25-2007 01:57:03 | More by GeoffRizzo
Newglarusguy

Wisconsin

2.38/5  rDev +17.2%

Steve says that the Beast "sucks...no excuse for a beer." I can buy that. But since I was low on funds today, about all I could afford was Milwaukee's Best Ice. At a whopping 5.9% alcohol by volume, I figured that after two or three I could forget what I was drinking anyway. I was also raised to believe there is some good in all people and all things. Well, this swill really put my upbringing to the test. Sure, I got drunk. But getting drunk with MB Ice is like making a million dollars as a proctologist for Rosie O'donnell...you might reach your goal, but the journey is far too unpleasant for most. I give this beer two mugs only because being ice-brewed gives it more of a punch, but by God I'm working overtime next week so I can afford something good.

02-15-2007 01:23:09 | More by Newglarusguy
Metalmonk

1.27/5  rDev -37.4%

"...here we dive hysterically and hilariously into the abyss..."

Pours a very clear pale yellow with lots of bubbles and a sizzling rocky head that doesn't retain very well. Although the color sends out some danger signs, it doesn't look foul or anything.

While the smell isn't atrocious, it's clearly bad. It's artificially sweet and unappealingly corn-like, with hops bringing up the rear. There's a weird, alien element to the aroma that I can't nail down, but I know I don't like it. The only good thing about the smell is that it's fairly timid.

The looks and smell weren't exactly abhorrent, so I had some hope for this beer...until I tasted it. Milwaukee's Best Ice is made with malt and hops. This much is clear at the very front of the sip...but no love has gone into it at all. What little flavor there is completely dies out in a matter of seconds, leaving you with a metallic finish and absolutely no memory of what you just tasted. It may not be the most foul beer in the world, but it is easily one of the most forgettable and lame. It's too thin, weirdly sweet (like they used Nutrasweet in the recipe) and predictably metallic. Lacking any kind of depth. I could go on, but why bother?

Mouthfeel is atrocious, sizzling with full-on carbonation and only prolonging the experience that I want to end NOW. And I do. Down the sink it goes.

I rate the drinkability low because I couldn't even finish a glass (and there's still more in the can). It may be very drinkable if you're just looking to pound back a few and get fucked up, and if you also don't care what your beer actually tastes like. But I can't consider this drinkable in any way. This is Milwaukee's best??? I'm sure the city has something better to offer than this swill.

02-08-2007 22:31:37 | More by Metalmonk
matty

3.4/5  rDev +67.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer though not great is probaly the best "bang for your buck" that you can find. A highly corny taste with a powerful punch and low cost makes this the beer of choice for those looking for a quick buzz at a low cost.Very similar to "natty ice".

01-31-2007 00:49:30 | More by matty
RustythePelican

2.17/5  rDev +6.9%

Yes, I've been slumming a bit lately. Poured out of a 24 oz can into a styrofoam cup (I know, I know. . .). The head was impressive, though it quickly dissipated into a dull yellow. It smelled of corn with a hint of the 5.9% alcohol. The taste was standard macro ice fare; a good, beer-tasting beginning, denegrating to strong metallic and alcohol flavors on the finish. It's not a horrible beer, and not a bad accompaniment to tailgating or grilling burgers, but Milwaukee's Best Ice isn't a beer to savor.

01-16-2007 19:57:02 | More by RustythePelican
Adamthome1

Nebraska

2.83/5  rDev +39.4%

Pours corn, hazy from 16 oz can with good carbonation but is probably about all artificial. Happy with the taste, tastes crisp and goes down easy like Mil's Best regular and without a harsh alcohol taste as you might expect. Can detect the toasted adjunct's and leaves a corn grit consistency on the mouth.

Hey ya know I'd say this si the benchmark for macro Ice beers. It's got the flavor of Mil's Best and not only adds the extra alcohol but I think does a better job of masking the alcohol than keystone Ice and Icehouse, for example. Serve Ice cold!! My recipe for success would be to let freeze in cooler then place in freezer 5 minutes before consuming; has a lower freezing point than normal beer because of the extra alcohol.

11-03-2006 16:07:00 | More by Adamthome1
goochpunch

1.7/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours out a brassy gold with a thin ring of bubbles up top and a lot of carbonation in the body. Smells like alcohol, grains, and cooked vegetables. This does have a sickening alcohol, sweetness, corn, and grain quality to it, but there is a bit of malt that shines through at the end, so I give it kudos on that note. Mouthfeel is syrupy, slick, and prickly with bubbles. Just sticks to my tongue. I hate this, and I will never buy this again. High gravity malt liquor is easier going down. WTF, Miller?

10-16-2006 05:10:09 | More by goochpunch
granger10

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev +72.4%

Having this after the Lucky Number might have made me respect it more than I would normally. Clear gold color with a smallish fizzy head. Head dies but good amount of bubbles rise. Smell is not too much but more of a macro beer smell. Taste isn't too bad. Not really any off flavors. A touch of hops combine with the adjunct malts making it not so nasty sweet like most cheaper beers are. Not too much flavor, just a pale malt flavor with a slightly bitter counterpart. Body is lighter, alcohol is noticeable on the tongue but doesn't burn. Fairly drinkable really. Good for its price and style.

09-18-2006 20:16:11 | More by granger10
BuffaloBilly

Okay so my candian friends had some of this stuff, and I had heard stories of the beast before, so I was weary. I was thinking 5.9 ice beer, and remembering the horrid taste of labatts ice. So I cracked one open, I smelt hints of corn and malt, and I must say it wasn't bad at all. Not a great beer by any means, but hey for the money its defiinetly worth a try. Great bargain beer and at 5.9 it gets you hammered.

08-09-2006 17:33:37 | More by BuffaloBilly
Validus

Louisiana

2.28/5  rDev +12.3%

I will start out with the positive aspect of this beer: to quote Dave Chappelle, "It'll get you drunk!"

Other than that, there's not much to write home about here. I concur with the opinion below that this is a "lawnmower beer". It may be the worst beer I've ever smelled. Its odor reminds me of the fraternity house band room the night after a party...and that's not a good thing. Drinkability is fair, but is still hindered by a severe bitterness.

On the bright side, if you are poor and want to get drunk, this doesn't taste any worse than regular Milwaukee's Best and it does the job faster.

08-04-2006 04:32:01 | More by Validus
Drew966

2.75/5  rDev +35.5%

Milwaukee's Best Ice pours a pale yellow with a thick white head from a sixteen ounce can. Very mild, adjunct aromas. Tastes like corn, some metallic flavor as well. Pretty drinkable for a cheap ice beer. Decent and fairly cheap for lawnmower beer, otherwise forget it.

07-22-2006 23:31:20 | More by Drew966
barleyman

Georgia

2.53/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured from the 12 oz. can into my straight sided glass tumbler. A medium dark amber with a head that quickly dissapates into a nice lace. A very little aroma includes bread and an off aroma of wet dog. Very little taste reveals nothing new or interesting. This is one of the most mundane beers I have experienced. The mouthfeel is average and the drinkability is better, one could drink a few of these in the summertime.

Just a thought,

barleyman

07-09-2006 01:04:53 | More by barleyman
nicksta

3.13/5  rDev +54.2%

A: It pours a very clear pale gold. It does have a very impressive, large head, with slow retention nice lacing.

S: The only smell is some sweet, adjunct cereal malts; kinda malt liquorish.

T: The main taste is corn cereal malts. It tastes like liquid corn flakes. I am surprised there are no crumbs left in my mouth.

M: It is quite watery, but it does seem to get a little thicker.

D: The easy on the palate taste makes it very easy to chug. Make sure it stays cold though. Don't let it warm like you would a micro.

Not bad for the style. It may be the best beer I have had in a 24 oz. can. If you want something that is nonoffensive and easy to get drunk off of, you may want to check this out.

06-04-2006 03:59:36 | More by nicksta
Sosh

Indiana

1.6/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Why I even tried this? To get drunk, of course. Milwaukee's Best Ice was very appealing to the poor man's budget with 5.9% alcohol. Unfortunatley, the taste was absolutley horrid. I would drink Icehouse over this. When it's ice cold, it isn't completely wretched, but like many beers of this style, when it even thinks about warming up, it's like drinking a mixture of aluminum and carpet cleaner. AVOID.

06-03-2006 00:49:14 | More by Sosh
bigpatvoodoodad

South Carolina

2.05/5  rDev +1%

I thought I was done with the 'Beast' and it's line of beers from my days in college. Guess it was either nostalgia or the fact that I am flat broke, but I bought a case of this last night. I tried one and about 2/3 of the way through it I poured it out. Tonight I am on a mission. After almost finishing my second one, it is getting less and less painful to pour this down the ol' gullet. In fact, it doesn't taste that bad at all. It doesn't taste that great either. Settle on the stomach a little heavy though. This'll do b/c it seems like it gets on you quick with a buzz. If I had my druthers(and more money) I would have bought something much better, but at 10 dollars a case, you can't beat it for when you looking to get drunk on a budget.

05-11-2006 00:35:50 | More by bigpatvoodoodad
dustified1234567

2.17/5  rDev +6.9%

What is there basically to say besides that it is a party beer. This is the kind of beer that is for college kids on a low budget. Even thought he commercials beg to differ and say its a real mans beer. Not true. The only reason that the drinkability is at a 2.5 is because once you drink a few then there is really no need to worry aobut taste. The good hting about this beer is that it has a much more sharp taste than its sister beer milwaukee's best light.

04-17-2006 01:10:51 | More by dustified1234567
NeroFiddled

3.13/5  rDev +54.2%

What can be said here that's not already known? Perhaps only that it's a little bit better than might be expected.

It pours a crystal-clear gold body beneath a good-sized head of bright white foam that holds surprisingly well. Steady streams of tiny bubbled carbonation help to buoy the head; and it even leaves some minor splotches of lace about the glass.

The nose is clean, if not particularly fresh or enticing, with a generic malt and hop combination that doesn't really display either one or the other.

In the mouth it's a bit fizzy, with a delicately effervescent carbonation and medium body.

The flavor is not far from what the nose suggest, but there is a little more malt than you might expect. It's pretty well balanced by a firm bitterness, and it's certainly not sweet like a malt liquor. The generic hops return though, only lending a smear of muddled flavor where there could be so much more to give it interest. And the alcohol is noticeable, which is odd, as it's only 5.9% by volume.

04-15-2006 00:24:39 | More by NeroFiddled
lpayette

Vermont

1.4/5  rDev -31%

Pours a clear and darkish straw yellow with a big white head. Lots of carbonation providing lots of bubbles.

Smells- in short- some of the worst smelling beer I've ever had. Simply terrible- not just saying it because of the style either- and yes, it was fresh. There is a gross alcohol smell and a nearly rotten grain smell to the concoction, as well as some corn husks.

Tastes- better than the smell, but still unimpressive. Very grainy- which could be a good thing- but not here. The only evidence of hops are moments of bitterness. There seems to almost be some off flavors, but then you realize this is just the character of the beer and reflects the smell.

It's fairly crisp and smooth, but gets watered down the warmer it gets. Taste and smell make this much harder to drink than any other american macro- I'd normally rank much higher for drinkability - but this really did almost make me feel sick. Even regular olde Milwaukee's Beast is much better

03-13-2006 06:19:14 | More by lpayette
tgbljb

3.23/5  rDev +59.1%

Poured a pale yellow clor with initially monstrous white puffy head that was very quickly gone. Smell is so light as to be virtually nonexistent, with a mild sweet malt present and no hops found. Taste is very light, but some alcohol notes to be tasted. Finishe is refreshing as long as the beer is cold, but as it warms it becomes less enticing. OK beer, but a bit too strong as a spacer.

02-24-2006 01:49:01 | More by tgbljb
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.2/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: A very pale gold color. Very think white head, but fades quickly and leaves a think uneven lace on the glass.

S: Honestly, I really can't smell much of anything. A little bit of alcohol & malt maybe.

T: A hard corn malt taste hits you in the taste, almost burnt, but given the style it's not that bad. No after-taste, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. I'll consider it a good thing in this case. Who really wants an after-taste in a macro?

M: It's smooth for a macro and finishes decently.

D: I'll give this beer a good score in this category simply because this style is made to be drinkable. However, comparing it to other macros, I still consider it quite "poundable". Given the alcohol content, the drinkability of a light beer and the low price, it's the perfect buzz-maintainer once you’re too hammered to care about what you taste.

02-02-2006 05:34:08 | More by TheManiacalOne
Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.