Milwaukee's Best Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Ice Alström Bros
3.06/5  rDev +53.8%

OK...I can't believing I am actually reviewing Milwaukee's Best Ice. I reviewed Goose Island's Bourbon County last week for Christ's sake! that being said, I believe I can approach this review with an unbiased perspective. I typically wouldn't even purchase this brew, but the cheap beer cooler was calling me on my latest trip to Speedway. I chose this 40oz. Milwaukee's Best Ice purely out of nostalgia, and my girlfriend begrudgingly picked up a 40 of Natty Ice. A side of a few of Taco Bell's 89-cent b33fy 5-layer burrito completes the experience. I will try to explain my expectations first, to which this beer will be compared.

Upon first sight, this beer appears perfectly clear. Even though I typically award points for opacity, I would be scared to drink a cold-filtered mega-brewed lager for which I paid 3 cents per ounce. In this case, the Beast was clear as glass, exactly how I expected it to be. I think a slightly foamier head would bump this guy up a bit.

The nose of a mass-produced lager is supposed to be yeast-y. This Beast is no exception. The hop content is very light, and all lagers of this quality have a lot of room to work here. But I have to remember that i am paying 3 cents per ounce, so what kind of hop profile am I going to get? I am lucky to get what I got. The sweet corny malt and yeast overshadow the hops. A very slight flower despite. When you drink beers from a can, you have to expect a metallic taste, which is why only drink from cans when I'm desperate. This Beast Ice was in a 40 oz. bottle, so I got no metallic taste, but I don't exactly understand why reviewers would hold that metallic taste against it...you know what you're getting into when you pull the tab.

Taste isn't necessarily important with beers with this intent. Regardless, I have to give it a score. Given that it's an ice bear, I also expect the flavor to be a little more potent as much of the water has been removed. The beer has a slight bitterness, but not a flavorful bitterness. The yeas on top is pretty typical of these cheap lagers. To be honest, I can't really tell the difference taste-wise between many of these lagers. There is very little aftertaste, just how I like it. Barleywine = good aftertaste...cheap ice lagers = bad aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is MUCH more important to me in these lagers. The Beast is very light and refreshing, even at the relatively high alcohol content of 5.9%ABV. The body is hilight and crisp. The colder this beer is served the better.

Overall, this beer is one that can be drank a case at a time, like most lagers. That hasn't been my style for quite some time, but for tonight, and for what it's worth, the Beast has been a pretty decent trip to memory lane.

3.3/5  rDev +65.8%

Well, I guess this ranks up there with Icehouse. I mean, there's a bit of a metallic taste underneath the corn. It's not bad though. Perhaps it would be better out of the bottle. This beer would probably be quite nice on tap. Pretty heavy carbonation. It's got the higher abv which is the whole point but I think one's money would be better spent on a Steel Reserve. That's better beer with more alcohol.

2.95/5  rDev +48.2%

A clear pale golden color pour with a two finger fizzy white head , high carbonation. Aroma is lightly sweet and slightly corny with little or no hops present. Flavor is much the same as the aroma a littly corny with a slight hint of alcohol in the finish but nothing too offensive. Light body woth a crisp clean mouthfeel . Very drinkable and not too bad for the price and what it is .

1.08/5  rDev -45.7%

I split a can of Beast Ice, time to review. Pours a pale gold color with a thin white head. No lace. Not much smell, some cooked corn, and small amounts of hops and malt. Not impressive. Mostly cooked corn in the flavor, with very small amounts of malt and hops. Not a pleasant flavor at all. Thin and watery mouthfeel, not much else to say. Not drinkable either.

2.09/5  rDev +5%

Pours to a thin white head that almost completely disappears and pale gold color. Aroma is very much cooked corn and a faint hint of malt and hops, believe it or not. Flavor is a sweetish mixture of corn flakes, and a bit of alcohol aftertaste. the 5.9% abv really asserts itself. Generous CO2 as expected. I am noticing a buildup of harsh metallic and vegetable flavors and rough mouthfeel as I drink... not good.

1.6/5  rDev -19.6%

This beer gets the bottom of the barrel for me. Its the only beer that I actually got a headache while I was drinking it. I would avoid it at all costs and you can certainly get better beers at the same price range. I only had this beer once but that was enough for me. A nice substitute would be ...well anything would be a step up.

2.98/5  rDev +49.7%

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a gold color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some corn, not a lot there. Taste is crisp with some notes of corn, not a whole lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this makes for a mediocre beer.

2.28/5  rDev +14.6%

A pounder can of the Beast Ice

A: a radiant fair wheat yellow color with a large number of bubbles swirling and twirling about. A raspy and coarse bone white layer of fizz was present for a mere seconds and was replaced by a meager ring of suds. One strip of lace exists that is reminiscent of a chinese dragon lurching forth

S: tin, rubber, and honey or sugar (you decide). Some corn and malted barely-like smells are detected

T: dried corn husks, barley, sweetness that borderlines table sugar and maybe some grassy hop notes. This has offending characters and yet it is not as bad I would have imagined...hhmm, not sure if that makes sense. In some ways it is almost flavorless and what it offers just hangs in the balance

M: if the palate is troubled to define any real character, it has no problem detecting a fizzy body. Large chugs might bring tears to the eyes if not careful. Crazily enough, what I can not overlook is the raw drinkability that this commands beer. It is by far from offensive but far from "feeling fine"

D: keep it ice cold and these brews move better. As mine warms the flavor and taste buds gather less and less flavors, is that even possible? Down any road, this beer is drinkable, but in all honesty I reach for other brews when the wallet is tight and when looking for the style...which is rare

Now don't get me wrong, I am no fool when it comes to beer, and as crazy as you guys may think i am for this review just keep an open mind. This f*cking beer is awesome! The absolute best. You can't beat the beast mother f*cker. the harsh taste, the wonderful memories, and don't forget those hard to choke down bottoms that everyone loves. This beer brings me back to a time in my life that was absolutely wonderful. Oh sweet Jesus I just cannot get enough. I could drink this beer all day every day. It is Halloween night and I am filling my gut with can after can after can of this delicious golden elixer. This can only truly be a gift from the gods. Nothing this good could ever be created by man. It takes a true and brilliant artist to craft such a fine and utterly delicous beer such as this truely epic beverage. I have wasted many days of my youth spending time with this amazing drink that we have all come to love and know as Milwaukees BEAST Ice. I will also spend just as much or more of my adulthood making more wonderful memories with this firm, tightbodied beverage that I have come to fully accept as my beer of choice for any given night. Also, as i said earlier, don't judge me because i love this beer with all of my heart. I am just like the rest of you. I love Arrogant Bastard Ale, ruination, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Exrta IPA, But i also hold a very special place in my heart for the BEAST. So all i ask is that at least once and a while when you walk into the local beer store and you pass this on that shelf, that instead of normally neglecting it that you pick up at least a 12 pack. I know you can afford it. Just please pick up a pack of this, and fill your hearts and your fat f*cking guts full of pure and simple joy. I love you all and hope that you all continue to love and experience new beers each and every day. Just please please do not forget about one of life's very simple pleasures. Milwaukees Beast Ice.

WU-TANG

Sincerely,
Jizack FH

2.79/5  rDev +40.2%

A: Pours a clear, medium yellow color with some visible carbonation. The off-white head is tall, foamy, and a bit chunky. Retention is appreciable, with surprisingly good lacing.

S: Corn and grain husks. A slight herbal hop twang, plus a hint of alcohol.

T: Grain husks and cooked corn. Sweetness is fairly low. A bit of an herbal hop bite. Flavor is generally clean, mild, and adjuncty.

M: Actually rather pleasant. Medium bodied. Carbonation is fairly crisp. Clean and dry.

D: Not nearly as bad as Milwaukee's Best "regular". Not good, but you could do worse for such an extremely cheap price tag. It's adjuncty and a bit boozy, but it never ventures into the sickly-sweet malt liquor territory, which is a plus. I've had worse...

Pours straw yellow with a fizzy loud head.

The smell is of cereal, some grain - inoffensive.

The taste is of sweet cereal with a hint of alcohol. There is a crisp dryness balancing the sweetness in the finish. Pretty bland, but, again - inoffensive, and actually better than expected for a cheap macro brew (not much more though.

It is light-bodied, and no more or less fizzy than most other macros.

Per style, this is not a bad brew. Not too good either - just middle of the road. Good enough for a cheap lawnmower beer with a bit of a kick, if that's what you're looking for.

1.96/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured this into my pilsner glass. Pours a crystal clear pale yellow with plenty of bubbles rising up, and a huge frothy white head capping it off. Retention is weak, but there is some sticky lacing. Not bad. Smells of lemons, orange zest, grass, and cleaning solution.

The mouth is very thin and weak. Not bite at all. This is horrible. Flavor is of weak corn and mellow lemon. There is nothing to this at all. I wasn't expecting much, but this still found a way to leave me wanting. Ugh. Avoid.

3.75/5  rDev +88.4%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared a highly carbonated, ultra clear yellow/gold with a 2 finger head & above average retention (Didn't fade in 4 seconds) Lacing was very broken & splotchy, above average again. Smelled of lots & lots of clean grainy rice aroma with some astringent qualities to it. Bright fruity grape/pair notes follow, bit of citrus notes with some subtle corn, but nothing metallic or off putting. Very clean.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of ultra clean rice & grain, mild cooked vegetables, and it finished with some pretty apparent bitterness, although it was pretty stale, it was there. As it warms a touch of alcohol & fruity apple flavors show, but subtle & nothing metallic. Mouthfeel was highly carbonated & very crisp, actually not ultra lite/thin, it was around lite-medium bodied, on the liter side though & perfect for the style.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well I got to say, this beer is not that bad at all, which really surprised me because I got this once before and noticed lots of metallic twang, this time around, not at all! It is what it is, which is to say cheap, easy drinking, low on cash have a good time kind of beer. I actually prefer this over Natty Ice, extremely drinkable, one could drink as many as wanted no problem. It's no Stone Ale, or something like that, but it doesn't suck, low on cash, tired of drinking Malt Liquor, this is the beer to buy. Cheers!

1.18/5  rDev -40.7%

My streak of terrible macro pop continues. This pours a pale straw color with a thin white head. Nose has grainy hops and corn. Taste is on the rough side. Needs more water to mellow out the stale ingredients. Thin body is way over carbonated and lacks any depth.

2.56/5  rDev +28.6%

A: Very typical macro-lager look: pale yellow, decent amount of head which clots up in large bubbles.

S: Not much to speak of. Some faint adjunct malts... corn, maybe?

T: Slightly sweet malt character with a bit of an artificial hop bitterness to keep things interesting. At least it doesn't really have the cooked veggies taste that regular Milwaukee's Best has.

M: A good amount of carbonation pervades this brew to keep things lively... 'cause the taste isn't gonna do that.

D: I think this qualifies as the first "drinkable college frat house beer" that I can think of. If that isn't an oxymoron to begin with.

1.99/5  rDev 0%

I really CAN't believe that I still have not reviewed this beer! CAN you? I have been on a mission for a while now to review CANned beers and here is yet another entry.

I kept getting a finger's worth of rocky, bone-white head, but the retention was so poor that it kept collapsing like a souffle with someone banging the oven door shut. Nose had an odd scent, not really lager-like, but more sharp with alcohol than subdued. I do not mean to make it sound "hot", however. Instead, it was simply more alcohol-forward. Mouthfeel was medium with a very light flavor. I wish that I could quantify that better, but it was simply a light, fluffy flavor that had all of the impact of a marshmallow on a trampoline on my taste buds. The finish was equally light and airy. Let's call this damning with faint praise.

1.27/5  rDev -36.2%

As a poor college student I bought this beer for drinking games and expected nothing. It was disappointing. This beer is so bad that I expected nothing from it but it still managed to disappoint. Drank from the can but I would assume it looked like fizzy swamp water because that is what it tasted like. The smell left nothing to be desired but it could have probably been worse. The taste was, as I said earlier, like fizzy swamp water. This is the epitome of piss beer. In fact I would bet that this beer is kidney filtered through the homeless of Milwaukee. Is it Miller time? Not if Beast Ice is involved.

2.18/5  rDev +9.5%

"Ice brewed for a crisp, bold taste"

Poured into new belgium globe glass... no pints available.

Pours a 1/2 finger thin white head that fizzles down quickly. No lacing. Color is a little darker then the normal clear golden yellow.

Aroma is of corn and grain. Stronger smell then most American macros. Taste is similar, but it has a bit of skunk to it as well.

Mouthfeel is way to crisp and overcarbonated. However, it leaves a somewhat clean aftertaste.

Overall, a typical macro. Something college kids are more likely to get because of the ice (5.9%). Nothing I'd every buy.

3.68/5  rDev +84.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Rich gold color with a thick white head that fades rather quickly but leaves some very good clumpy lacing.
Smell is rich grains with a slight touch of metallic copper.
Taste is very much like the smell grainy malts sweet but not cloying. Hops are not there in any meaningful way.
This golden beer is quite close to the old malt liquors of my youth. Beer that is made as easy drinking as possible with just a micro amount of hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium and lightly dry.
Some ethanol note was detected for the first taste or two.

1.52/5  rDev -23.6%

(12 oz. can) Typical macro appearance: light golden, highly sparkling, white head with some retention and lacing. The aroma is muted and of vegetables and a tin can. There may be a fruity tone lurking in there. The palate is that of flat Calistoga, or as my brother in-law put it, "day-old Dr. Pepper". The flavor is corny and stale. Anonymous light grain and soft bitterness are in there. I can taste the alcohol, which gives it something I can taste. It's a bit stronger than the other macros and has no pretentions.
(rated May 26, 2007)

2.15/5  rDev +8%

Pours a clear, pale yellow with short head and no retention or lacing. Smells of an adjunct lager. Definitely fits the style, as sad as that is. Crisp feel with low carbonation. Weak body and tastes mostly of adjunct. Overall, not a beer for anything but getting smashed.

2.4/5  rDev +20.6%

It is a bland beer as a whole. It has sweet adjunct aroma. There is a lot of malt in the aroma almost like malt liquor. It has a very watery feel to it. The flavor is also watery and sweet with virtually no bitterness at all. The can states the use of "quality hops" I just want to know what quality. There was not much for bubbles in the body but there was a lot of head and lace. It is a good party beer and that is about it.

1.23/5  rDev -38.2%

Though I am only a ripe 22 years of age I have probably have at least 90% of the beer types known to man. Then there was "Beast Ice" aka Milwaukee's Best Ice. Living up to it's faithful name this beer is quite a beast....and I do mean that in the worst way possible. It's so bad it doesn't even deserve a review....try one and you'll know what I mean.

2.46/5  rDev +23.6%

Once again a bold dash down the beer cooler at the stop and rob. The beer was served cold and in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pour a pale yellow coloration. Tight bubbles of carbonation pitter patter off the bottom of the glass. Thin white head with very little retention. Speckles of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is a clean cereal aroma of corn. No off aromas noted.

Taste: A clean corny adjunct flavor hits my mouth. The malt is thin with the suggestion of hops bittering at the end of the flavor. No off flavors noted just not alot going on.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a thin body. The carbonation works well with the beer and may actually make the beer better. This is just another pound as fast as you can beer. Not a whole lot going on here.

1.43/5  rDev -28.1%

Another college town beer that is more of a tool for getting drunk than a real beer. Ice beer so it's high in alcohol and low in taste. Very pale and little to no head retention. The aroma is non existent. No good characteristics for this bland flavorless concoction. Stay clear of this one. -Dale

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.