Milwaukee's Best Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

awful

rAvg: 2
Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Ice Alström Bros
2.03/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours to a thin white head that almost completely disappears and pale gold color. Aroma is very much cooked corn and a faint hint of malt and hops, believe it or not. Flavor is a sweetish mixture of corn flakes, and a bit of alcohol aftertaste. the 5.9% abv really asserts itself. Generous CO2 as expected. I am noticing a buildup of harsh metallic and vegetable flavors and rough mouthfeel as I drink... not good.

1.55/5  rDev -22.5%

This beer gets the bottom of the barrel for me. Its the only beer that I actually got a headache while I was drinking it. I would avoid it at all costs and you can certainly get better beers at the same price range. I only had this beer once but that was enough for me. A nice substitute would be ...well anything would be a step up.

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a gold color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some corn, not a lot there. Taste is crisp with some notes of corn, not a whole lot of flavor. Feels light in the mouth and has decent drinkability. Overall this makes for a mediocre beer.

2.3/5  rDev +15%

A pounder can of the Beast Ice

A: a radiant fair wheat yellow color with a large number of bubbles swirling and twirling about. A raspy and coarse bone white layer of fizz was present for a mere seconds and was replaced by a meager ring of suds. One strip of lace exists that is reminiscent of a chinese dragon lurching forth

S: tin, rubber, and honey or sugar (you decide). Some corn and malted barely-like smells are detected

T: dried corn husks, barley, sweetness that borderlines table sugar and maybe some grassy hop notes. This has offending characters and yet it is not as bad I would have imagined...hhmm, not sure if that makes sense. In some ways it is almost flavorless and what it offers just hangs in the balance

M: if the palate is troubled to define any real character, it has no problem detecting a fizzy body. Large chugs might bring tears to the eyes if not careful. Crazily enough, what I can not overlook is the raw drinkability that this commands beer. It is by far from offensive but far from "feeling fine"

D: keep it ice cold and these brews move better. As mine warms the flavor and taste buds gather less and less flavors, is that even possible? Down any road, this beer is drinkable, but in all honesty I reach for other brews when the wallet is tight and when looking for the style...which is rare

2/5  rDev 0%

Now don't get me wrong, I am no fool when it comes to beer, and as crazy as you guys may think i am for this review just keep an open mind. This f*cking beer is awesome! The absolute best. You can't beat the beast mother f*cker. the harsh taste, the wonderful memories, and don't forget those hard to choke down bottoms that everyone loves. This beer brings me back to a time in my life that was absolutely wonderful. Oh sweet Jesus I just cannot get enough. I could drink this beer all day every day. It is Halloween night and I am filling my gut with can after can after can of this delicious golden elixer. This can only truly be a gift from the gods. Nothing this good could ever be created by man. It takes a true and brilliant artist to craft such a fine and utterly delicous beer such as this truely epic beverage. I have wasted many days of my youth spending time with this amazing drink that we have all come to love and know as Milwaukees BEAST Ice. I will also spend just as much or more of my adulthood making more wonderful memories with this firm, tightbodied beverage that I have come to fully accept as my beer of choice for any given night. Also, as i said earlier, don't judge me because i love this beer with all of my heart. I am just like the rest of you. I love Arrogant Bastard Ale, ruination, Sierra Nevada Torpedo Exrta IPA, But i also hold a very special place in my heart for the BEAST. So all i ask is that at least once and a while when you walk into the local beer store and you pass this on that shelf, that instead of normally neglecting it that you pick up at least a 12 pack. I know you can afford it. Just please pick up a pack of this, and fill your hearts and your fat f*cking guts full of pure and simple joy. I love you all and hope that you all continue to love and experience new beers each and every day. Just please please do not forget about one of life's very simple pleasures. Milwaukees Beast Ice.

WU-TANG

Sincerely,
Jizack FH

2.78/5  rDev +39%

A: Pours a clear, medium yellow color with some visible carbonation. The off-white head is tall, foamy, and a bit chunky. Retention is appreciable, with surprisingly good lacing.

S: Corn and grain husks. A slight herbal hop twang, plus a hint of alcohol.

T: Grain husks and cooked corn. Sweetness is fairly low. A bit of an herbal hop bite. Flavor is generally clean, mild, and adjuncty.

M: Actually rather pleasant. Medium bodied. Carbonation is fairly crisp. Clean and dry.

D: Not nearly as bad as Milwaukee's Best "regular". Not good, but you could do worse for such an extremely cheap price tag. It's adjuncty and a bit boozy, but it never ventures into the sickly-sweet malt liquor territory, which is a plus. I've had worse...

Pours straw yellow with a fizzy loud head.

The smell is of cereal, some grain - inoffensive.

The taste is of sweet cereal with a hint of alcohol. There is a crisp dryness balancing the sweetness in the finish. Pretty bland, but, again - inoffensive, and actually better than expected for a cheap macro brew (not much more though.

It is light-bodied, and no more or less fizzy than most other macros.

Per style, this is not a bad brew. Not too good either - just middle of the road. Good enough for a cheap lawnmower beer with a bit of a kick, if that's what you're looking for.

1.9/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured this into my pilsner glass. Pours a crystal clear pale yellow with plenty of bubbles rising up, and a huge frothy white head capping it off. Retention is weak, but there is some sticky lacing. Not bad. Smells of lemons, orange zest, grass, and cleaning solution.

The mouth is very thin and weak. Not bite at all. This is horrible. Flavor is of weak corn and mellow lemon. There is nothing to this at all. I wasn't expecting much, but this still found a way to leave me wanting. Ugh. Avoid.

3.78/5  rDev +89%

Poured from a 24oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appeared a highly carbonated, ultra clear yellow/gold with a 2 finger head & above average retention (Didn't fade in 4 seconds) Lacing was very broken & splotchy, above average again. Smelled of lots & lots of clean grainy rice aroma with some astringent qualities to it. Bright fruity grape/pair notes follow, bit of citrus notes with some subtle corn, but nothing metallic or off putting. Very clean.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tasted of ultra clean rice & grain, mild cooked vegetables, and it finished with some pretty apparent bitterness, although it was pretty stale, it was there. As it warms a touch of alcohol & fruity apple flavors show, but subtle & nothing metallic. Mouthfeel was highly carbonated & very crisp, actually not ultra lite/thin, it was around lite-medium bodied, on the liter side though & perfect for the style.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - Well I got to say, this beer is not that bad at all, which really surprised me because I got this once before and noticed lots of metallic twang, this time around, not at all! It is what it is, which is to say cheap, easy drinking, low on cash have a good time kind of beer. I actually prefer this over Natty Ice, extremely drinkable, one could drink as many as wanted no problem. It's no Stone Ale, or something like that, but it doesn't suck, low on cash, tired of drinking Malt Liquor, this is the beer to buy. Cheers!

1.18/5  rDev -41%

My streak of terrible macro pop continues. This pours a pale straw color with a thin white head. Nose has grainy hops and corn. Taste is on the rough side. Needs more water to mellow out the stale ingredients. Thin body is way over carbonated and lacks any depth.

2.58/5  rDev +29%

A: Very typical macro-lager look: pale yellow, decent amount of head which clots up in large bubbles.

S: Not much to speak of. Some faint adjunct malts... corn, maybe?

T: Slightly sweet malt character with a bit of an artificial hop bitterness to keep things interesting. At least it doesn't really have the cooked veggies taste that regular Milwaukee's Best has.

M: A good amount of carbonation pervades this brew to keep things lively... 'cause the taste isn't gonna do that.

D: I think this qualifies as the first "drinkable college frat house beer" that I can think of. If that isn't an oxymoron to begin with.

1.98/5  rDev -1%

I really CAN't believe that I still have not reviewed this beer! CAN you? I have been on a mission for a while now to review CANned beers and here is yet another entry.

I kept getting a finger's worth of rocky, bone-white head, but the retention was so poor that it kept collapsing like a souffle with someone banging the oven door shut. Nose had an odd scent, not really lager-like, but more sharp with alcohol than subdued. I do not mean to make it sound "hot", however. Instead, it was simply more alcohol-forward. Mouthfeel was medium with a very light flavor. I wish that I could quantify that better, but it was simply a light, fluffy flavor that had all of the impact of a marshmallow on a trampoline on my taste buds. The finish was equally light and airy. Let's call this damning with faint praise.

1.25/5  rDev -37.5%

As a poor college student I bought this beer for drinking games and expected nothing. It was disappointing. This beer is so bad that I expected nothing from it but it still managed to disappoint. Drank from the can but I would assume it looked like fizzy swamp water because that is what it tasted like. The smell left nothing to be desired but it could have probably been worse. The taste was, as I said earlier, like fizzy swamp water. This is the epitome of piss beer. In fact I would bet that this beer is kidney filtered through the homeless of Milwaukee. Is it Miller time? Not if Beast Ice is involved.

2.17/5  rDev +8.5%

"Ice brewed for a crisp, bold taste"

Poured into new belgium globe glass... no pints available.

Pours a 1/2 finger thin white head that fizzles down quickly. No lacing. Color is a little darker then the normal clear golden yellow.

Aroma is of corn and grain. Stronger smell then most American macros. Taste is similar, but it has a bit of skunk to it as well.

Mouthfeel is way to crisp and overcarbonated. However, it leaves a somewhat clean aftertaste.

Overall, a typical macro. Something college kids are more likely to get because of the ice (5.9%). Nothing I'd every buy.

3.69/5  rDev +84.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Rich gold color with a thick white head that fades rather quickly but leaves some very good clumpy lacing.
Smell is rich grains with a slight touch of metallic copper.
Taste is very much like the smell grainy malts sweet but not cloying. Hops are not there in any meaningful way.
This golden beer is quite close to the old malt liquors of my youth. Beer that is made as easy drinking as possible with just a micro amount of hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel is medium and lightly dry.
Some ethanol note was detected for the first taste or two.

1.53/5  rDev -23.5%

(12 oz. can) Typical macro appearance: light golden, highly sparkling, white head with some retention and lacing. The aroma is muted and of vegetables and a tin can. There may be a fruity tone lurking in there. The palate is that of flat Calistoga, or as my brother in-law put it, "day-old Dr. Pepper". The flavor is corny and stale. Anonymous light grain and soft bitterness are in there. I can taste the alcohol, which gives it something I can taste. It's a bit stronger than the other macros and has no pretentions.
(rated May 26, 2007)

2.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a clear, pale yellow with short head and no retention or lacing. Smells of an adjunct lager. Definitely fits the style, as sad as that is. Crisp feel with low carbonation. Weak body and tastes mostly of adjunct. Overall, not a beer for anything but getting smashed.

2.38/5  rDev +19%

It is a bland beer as a whole. It has sweet adjunct aroma. There is a lot of malt in the aroma almost like malt liquor. It has a very watery feel to it. The flavor is also watery and sweet with virtually no bitterness at all. The can states the use of "quality hops" I just want to know what quality. There was not much for bubbles in the body but there was a lot of head and lace. It is a good party beer and that is about it.

1.2/5  rDev -40%

Though I am only a ripe 22 years of age I have probably have at least 90% of the beer types known to man. Then there was "Beast Ice" aka Milwaukee's Best Ice. Living up to it's faithful name this beer is quite a beast....and I do mean that in the worst way possible. It's so bad it doesn't even deserve a review....try one and you'll know what I mean.

2.48/5  rDev +24%

Once again a bold dash down the beer cooler at the stop and rob. The beer was served cold and in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer pour a pale yellow coloration. Tight bubbles of carbonation pitter patter off the bottom of the glass. Thin white head with very little retention. Speckles of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is a clean cereal aroma of corn. No off aromas noted.

Taste: A clean corny adjunct flavor hits my mouth. The malt is thin with the suggestion of hops bittering at the end of the flavor. No off flavors noted just not alot going on.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a thin body. The carbonation works well with the beer and may actually make the beer better. This is just another pound as fast as you can beer. Not a whole lot going on here.

1.43/5  rDev -28.5%

Another college town beer that is more of a tool for getting drunk than a real beer. Ice beer so it's high in alcohol and low in taste. Very pale and little to no head retention. The aroma is non existent. No good characteristics for this bland flavorless concoction. Stay clear of this one. -Dale

3.95/5  rDev +97.5%

Why I like this...I cannot tell you. But I do. It is very drinkable for a cheap beer. Perhaps it's the 'ice brewing' (aka extra alcohol) that makes this one extra drinkable. Very sweet, very corn-tasting. Would rather drink this than other cheap brews.

2.98/5  rDev +49%

Pours a pale straw yellow with big billowy head that dissipates into nothing almost immediately. Smell is quite non-existant, taste is actually non-offensive, very light tasting to be truthful, no personality but not god-awful. Mouthfeel is not quite as thin as I had expected, easy on the palate. Drinkability is high due to the easy going nature of this beer. It's weak, flavorless and watery but at the same time has high ABV and is non-offensive. A good broke-mans party beer.

1.18/5  rDev -41%

Beast Ice! I have no clue why this is always available at parties I have to go to... probably so that I won't drink it.

Appearance is pale yellow. Nearly no head. Very clear. Not appetizing at all.

Smell is of water and alcohol. Nothing else.

Taste is almost like it's water with some rubbing alcohol and malt flavor added. Nothing that makes me want to drink it.

Mouthfeel isn't much better than taste but at least the alcohol isn't burning all the time. Sometimes it's better but sometimes it's also worse. It balances out somewhat for a 1.5.

Drinkability is very very low. I refuse to drink this beer anymore, even when it's free and in copious quantities. I'd much rather pay a bit extra and upgrade to Miller Lite or almost any of the other products that Miller brews.

2.53/5  rDev +26.5%

This beer poured a translucent yellow with a lot of visible carbonation and a single-finger head that didn't last long. The smell is fairly faint with some whiffs of malt and maybe some corn adjunct. The taste is a bit of malt up front with some barely perceptible hops and a little bit of alcohol on the finish. The mouthfeel is watery with some pretty aggressive carbonation. This beer is basically made to be drank in large quantities by already inebriated college kids and hobos. I wouldn't get this beer if you can afford anything else, but if you're seriously considering buying this beer then I doubt you're really looking for something tasty. Bottoms up and hold out for your next college loan check.

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.