Milwaukee's Best Ice - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best IceMilwaukee's Best Ice

awful

rAvg: 2
Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-29-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Ice Alström Bros
1.7/5  rDev -15%

Pours out a brassy gold with a thin ring of bubbles up top and a lot of carbonation in the body. Smells like alcohol, grains, and cooked vegetables. This does have a sickening alcohol, sweetness, corn, and grain quality to it, but there is a bit of malt that shines through at the end, so I give it kudos on that note. Mouthfeel is syrupy, slick, and prickly with bubbles. Just sticks to my tongue. I hate this, and I will never buy this again. High gravity malt liquor is easier going down. WTF, Miller?

3.5/5  rDev +75%

Having this after the Lucky Number might have made me respect it more than I would normally. Clear gold color with a smallish fizzy head. Head dies but good amount of bubbles rise. Smell is not too much but more of a macro beer smell. Taste isn't too bad. Not really any off flavors. A touch of hops combine with the adjunct malts making it not so nasty sweet like most cheaper beers are. Not too much flavor, just a pale malt flavor with a slightly bitter counterpart. Body is lighter, alcohol is noticeable on the tongue but doesn't burn. Fairly drinkable really. Good for its price and style.

Okay so my candian friends had some of this stuff, and I had heard stories of the beast before, so I was weary. I was thinking 5.9 ice beer, and remembering the horrid taste of labatts ice. So I cracked one open, I smelt hints of corn and malt, and I must say it wasn't bad at all. Not a great beer by any means, but hey for the money its defiinetly worth a try. Great bargain beer and at 5.9 it gets you hammered.

2.28/5  rDev +14%

I will start out with the positive aspect of this beer: to quote Dave Chappelle, "It'll get you drunk!"

Other than that, there's not much to write home about here. I concur with the opinion below that this is a "lawnmower beer". It may be the worst beer I've ever smelled. Its odor reminds me of the fraternity house band room the night after a party...and that's not a good thing. Drinkability is fair, but is still hindered by a severe bitterness.

On the bright side, if you are poor and want to get drunk, this doesn't taste any worse than regular Milwaukee's Best and it does the job faster.

2.75/5  rDev +37.5%

Milwaukee's Best Ice pours a pale yellow with a thick white head from a sixteen ounce can. Very mild, adjunct aromas. Tastes like corn, some metallic flavor as well. Pretty drinkable for a cheap ice beer. Decent and fairly cheap for lawnmower beer, otherwise forget it.

2.53/5  rDev +26.5%

Poured from the 12 oz. can into my straight sided glass tumbler. A medium dark amber with a head that quickly dissapates into a nice lace. A very little aroma includes bread and an off aroma of wet dog. Very little taste reveals nothing new or interesting. This is one of the most mundane beers I have experienced. The mouthfeel is average and the drinkability is better, one could drink a few of these in the summertime.

Just a thought,

barleyman

3.13/5  rDev +56.5%

A: It pours a very clear pale gold. It does have a very impressive, large head, with slow retention nice lacing.

S: The only smell is some sweet, adjunct cereal malts; kinda malt liquorish.

T: The main taste is corn cereal malts. It tastes like liquid corn flakes. I am surprised there are no crumbs left in my mouth.

M: It is quite watery, but it does seem to get a little thicker.

D: The easy on the palate taste makes it very easy to chug. Make sure it stays cold though. Don't let it warm like you would a micro.

Not bad for the style. It may be the best beer I have had in a 24 oz. can. If you want something that is nonoffensive and easy to get drunk off of, you may want to check this out.

1.6/5  rDev -20%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Why I even tried this? To get drunk, of course. Milwaukee's Best Ice was very appealing to the poor man's budget with 5.9% alcohol. Unfortunatley, the taste was absolutley horrid. I would drink Icehouse over this. When it's ice cold, it isn't completely wretched, but like many beers of this style, when it even thinks about warming up, it's like drinking a mixture of aluminum and carpet cleaner. AVOID.

2.05/5  rDev +2.5%

I thought I was done with the 'Beast' and it's line of beers from my days in college. Guess it was either nostalgia or the fact that I am flat broke, but I bought a case of this last night. I tried one and about 2/3 of the way through it I poured it out. Tonight I am on a mission. After almost finishing my second one, it is getting less and less painful to pour this down the ol' gullet. In fact, it doesn't taste that bad at all. It doesn't taste that great either. Settle on the stomach a little heavy though. This'll do b/c it seems like it gets on you quick with a buzz. If I had my druthers(and more money) I would have bought something much better, but at 10 dollars a case, you can't beat it for when you looking to get drunk on a budget.

2.17/5  rDev +8.5%

What is there basically to say besides that it is a party beer. This is the kind of beer that is for college kids on a low budget. Even thought he commercials beg to differ and say its a real mans beer. Not true. The only reason that the drinkability is at a 2.5 is because once you drink a few then there is really no need to worry aobut taste. The good hting about this beer is that it has a much more sharp taste than its sister beer milwaukee's best light.

3.13/5  rDev +56.5%

What can be said here that's not already known? Perhaps only that it's a little bit better than might be expected.

It pours a crystal-clear gold body beneath a good-sized head of bright white foam that holds surprisingly well. Steady streams of tiny bubbled carbonation help to buoy the head; and it even leaves some minor splotches of lace about the glass.

The nose is clean, if not particularly fresh or enticing, with a generic malt and hop combination that doesn't really display either one or the other.

In the mouth it's a bit fizzy, with a delicately effervescent carbonation and medium body.

The flavor is not far from what the nose suggest, but there is a little more malt than you might expect. It's pretty well balanced by a firm bitterness, and it's certainly not sweet like a malt liquor. The generic hops return though, only lending a smear of muddled flavor where there could be so much more to give it interest. And the alcohol is noticeable, which is odd, as it's only 5.9% by volume.

1.4/5  rDev -30%

Pours a clear and darkish straw yellow with a big white head. Lots of carbonation providing lots of bubbles.

Smells- in short- some of the worst smelling beer I've ever had. Simply terrible- not just saying it because of the style either- and yes, it was fresh. There is a gross alcohol smell and a nearly rotten grain smell to the concoction, as well as some corn husks.

Tastes- better than the smell, but still unimpressive. Very grainy- which could be a good thing- but not here. The only evidence of hops are moments of bitterness. There seems to almost be some off flavors, but then you realize this is just the character of the beer and reflects the smell.

It's fairly crisp and smooth, but gets watered down the warmer it gets. Taste and smell make this much harder to drink than any other american macro- I'd normally rank much higher for drinkability - but this really did almost make me feel sick. Even regular olde Milwaukee's Beast is much better

3.23/5  rDev +61.5%

Poured a pale yellow clor with initially monstrous white puffy head that was very quickly gone. Smell is so light as to be virtually nonexistent, with a mild sweet malt present and no hops found. Taste is very light, but some alcohol notes to be tasted. Finishe is refreshing as long as the beer is cold, but as it warms it becomes less enticing. OK beer, but a bit too strong as a spacer.

2.2/5  rDev +10%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: A very pale gold color. Very think white head, but fades quickly and leaves a think uneven lace on the glass.

S: Honestly, I really can't smell much of anything. A little bit of alcohol & malt maybe.

T: A hard corn malt taste hits you in the taste, almost burnt, but given the style it's not that bad. No after-taste, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. I'll consider it a good thing in this case. Who really wants an after-taste in a macro?

M: It's smooth for a macro and finishes decently.

D: I'll give this beer a good score in this category simply because this style is made to be drinkable. However, comparing it to other macros, I still consider it quite "poundable". Given the alcohol content, the drinkability of a light beer and the low price, it's the perfect buzz-maintainer once you’re too hammered to care about what you taste.

1.88/5  rDev -6%

This beer surprised me. Clear, yellow, with a five finger foamy, rocky head. Where did a head like that on a macro lager come from?

Aroma was slightly sweet, definite adjunct but it doesn't smell like corn. Some lightly fruity hops are there too.

Taste was unusually flat and bland. Slightly sweer corn, but it was like flat flavored soda water. Kind of icky.

Mouthfeel was watery and thin, slightly cloying. Not good.

Drinkability... well, for a quick buzz, it's OK, but I'd rather go for a Steel Reserve. I think it tastes better, and with a higher ABV it's preferable. I don't think I'd get this again unless I was really in a fix and needed the buzz.

1.13/5  rDev -43.5%

This is my first macro in quite a while, even though I bought this for giggles, this is an honest review of the beer itself, I strive for this in any beer that I try.Pale yellow color, smell is a weird sugary sweet. Taste is flat, a bit sweet, no hops, very dull. Thin mouthfeel. I know why I drink craft beer and not this stuff, it's useless for beer. I don't consider this real beer, I might throw the rest out since I bought it as a 40oz and I'm not trying to impress my hommies or anything. I only spent $1.50 on this but I feel bad for spending that much on it.

2.98/5  rDev +49%

Appearance: Clear medium golden color with a rather small head, which, nonetheless, retains well. The lacing is thin and broken, but abundant. Numerous streams of carbonation rise rapidly to the surface.

Aroma: Insubstantial aroma of corn malt and cooked vegetables, with a faint hop presence.

Taste: Light maltiness at the opening, soon afterward a somewhat harsh metallic hop bitterness appears, this lingers well past the close of the taste. Alcohol is notable late in the taste. The finish is a bit dry.

Mouth feel: Thin, with aggressive, stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not terrible, but rather mediocre. Lacking in any real character, but would be suitable if one wanted a cheap buzz, offering good value for the money.

Presentation: Packaged in a sixteen ounce aluminum can, served in a standard pint tap glass.

2.78/5  rDev +39%

This beer poured a clear, pale yellow.. standard macro lager/cheap beer color... A small head formed for a brief period, again, nothing exciting. Strong cheap beer smell, grain and corn with a little alcohol. The taste is kind of metallic, with grain and alcohol.. Nothing special, but not horrible either. Mouthfeel is OK, fairly watery. It's very drinkable, 24 ounces for .99 cents is a good value, and its stronger than Budweiser, but I'd avoid it if I had more money.

2.9/5  rDev +45%

Good clear pale apperance with bot much lace. The smell is surprisingly clean also. This tastes nothing like regular Milwaukee's Beast which is a good thing. it isn't pretty but it is crisp, cheap and gets you drunk. Watery mouthfeel. Fairly drinkable.

2.88/5  rDev +44%

Pours pale gold, crystal clear. A thin and bubbly one finger head remains for under 30 seconds with very weak lacing. The smell is weak for an Ice beer, corn and grain adjuncts with no hops present. the alcohol is finally percieved in the taste, but is not so strong that you can't still taste grain and aluminum. Still, not a bad flavor for its price. It's also very drinkable, the alcohol bite in the aftertaste drys up quickly, leaving a crisp mouthfeel despite low carbonation and a thicker body than you would expect in a macro. If you're a fan of good cheap beer, remember that the Milwaukee's best lineup is comparable to, and sometimes cheaper than your Miller High lifes and Pabst.

2.8/5  rDev +40%

I checked and re-checked , since I hadn't had the enjoyment of reviewing this fine elixir from the hands at Miller, I just had to have the 24oz can of this 5.9% Alc/Vol beverage. Actually, I used to drink this regular when I was really broke and I could get a 32oz for 95 cents.

Should I even review what this looks like and smells like? Darker yellow, that's a plus for my ratings, smells average like so many other burp beers, mouth is average, just a burp...

Taste, little to no flavor other corn, alchohol, but it does finish off with an odd taste that reminds me of better beer.

Drinkability: Of the ice cheapies, this really isn't bad, and compared with Icehouse, or the tamer malts, for the price, I'd rather have a High Life. Still, okay if you want to get buzzed cheap.

3.4/5  rDev +70%

This is a cheap beer, at $12.02 after tax for a case it is the cheapest I can find in this area. I rate everything except drinkability at 3.0, because I don't take time to notice nit picky bullshit things like that. They don't matter. All that matters in a beer is if it gets you drunk. And drunk I am. 5.9% alc/vol. This is the only beer I drink. I go thru about 6 cans a day, many many more when I don't have to work in the monring (yes, I'm an alcoholic), and I find it exceptionally drinkable. If you are on a budget, or just don't give a shit about anything except getting wasted, this is the beer for you.

2.3/5  rDev +15%

I bought this for $5.99 a 30 pack due to a closeout at my store. Definatley a good beer to drink to quench your thirst. But it does seem to get you drunk pretty fast 5.9% abv. Everytime I drunk more than four of these I got a headache. I don't really mind the tast, grainy with just hints of malt.(seltzer water) I have never been so confused by what was so called beer. It just confuses me on how some business could make a beer that is this flavorless. I would recommend this to college student or a person on a extreme budget, other than that its good for nothing else.

2.55/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Alot of construction in my area and not alot of time brought me to this beer. A new gas station just opened with a " Beer Cave", this is what I came out with, for the 5.9% abv. From most of the reviews and its price, a real collage crowd party beer.
The appearance of this Miller love child was really quite nice. A deep golden color, not see-thru. A nice white head that would climb and grow as big as you wanted it to. Most impressive, No fizz!! The head sticks around to lace in spots. You could pretty much end the review here, but...
The aroma and taste are of cooked corn, boiled no butter. The taste does carry a slight metal taste from the can as well as a slight alcohol linger. The finish leaves the mouth with again a dry metal feel.
Well you get what you pay for here. A good appearance for .50 cents a pop. The six was three bucks. Not all that bad, if in a pinch.

1.2/5  rDev -40%

My dear American friends
I don't have to tell you guys how bad this beer is. If you are on the East Coast, Try a "Victory" brewing company beer by the name of "Golden Monkey".
When I was a kid in Melbourne, Australia, my Dad used to take us to the Royal Melbourne Show. There were many pricey rides, and extravagent show-bags to provide for us kids, so Dad would milk it out. Before we were allowed to get on those "rip-off rides", Dad would say..."This is a show after all, let's look at the prize winning animals?" My Dad's attempts to keep us from squandering his cash taught me one thing....The smell of Filth.
As a child I remember the stench. The hay, the pigs and goats... their shit! I had surpressed that sent until a few hours ago. As an Australian Nurse working in Philly, I was looking to get loaded, while saving a few bucks. Some of you US blokes would have guided me away, but I went into the store single handed and paid the price. I purchased a case of "Milwaukee's Best Ice" I am ashamed to say. I tried the first one...rough! I thought they may have left the case in broad sunlight, then tried to re-freeze it? Sadly this was not the case. I drunk another 15, just to test my hypothesis. This is the worst beer in either hemisphere. I feel that the owners of the stalls at the Melbourne Show with their vermin-infested livestock may have crushed the second-hand straw and made some kind of beer?! Please stay away..Please!!! I love this site, and thanks for all your collective input. If I had of stumbled across it sooner, my taste buds may have been spared this atrocity! Now I'm off to the Doctor, I fear a case of this stuff may have been enough to invoke colon cancer.

Take it easy boys and girls!

Milwaukee's Best Ice from Miller Brewing Co.