Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 625 | Hads: 2,296
4.26/5  rDev +80.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really don't understand the bad reviews. This beer is a notch up from High Life, and nothing beats it on a hot summer day. Excellent, honest lager.

2.96/5  rDev +25.4%

As many others have pointed out, overfamiliarity can make any sort of unbiased eating difficult. However, I have a new beer experience by which I now judge beers and that experience is called Asia.

The macro beers here are really terrible and cheaply made. Most of the cheap ones have distinct skunk notes--Tsing Tao Draft anyone? By contrast suddenly MGD draft served in a plastic cup at a New York Pizza joint in Seoul seems quite drinkable.

I will have to reconsider this rating next time I'm back in America.

3.18/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: light shiny golden colour, with medium carbonation. I admit it looks like urine, but it's my prefered macro beer so far.

Smell: light grain smell, don't know what it is, some white bread, some slight roasted something. Not bad.

Taste: I get grains, bread, it's really fresh and not dense. Pretty dry, which I like, but no too much. It's drinkable and the one with the less skunky aftertaste of the macro beers I find here. It's good to have one with a cheeseburguer or fish and chips.

Mouthfeel: smooth and fresh, a bit fizzy, and enjoyable.

Overall: this is my prefered easily available beer. It never gave me headaches after drinking too much, it has some taste other than alcohol and it always feels fresh.

1.08/5  rDev -54.2%

Imagine a set of twins being birthed. The parents realize they can only afford to raise one child and decide to leave the other behind at an orphanage. Now imagine me in a bar ordering between MGD and Colt 45. MGD, I hope you find your Daddy Warbucks.

3.79/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

(24 oz can, poured into a wine glass after letting can sit out for about 10 min)

L: just about crystal-clear, pale yellow-gold liquid... the foam is very loose and open, sort of spongy, and actually takes more time than you'd think to collapse... that said, the foam looks pond scummy... I can't believe my eyes! there's actually a wide band of lacing left around the top of the glass after the first couple sips

S: rather bright (but blurry) toasted malt aroma with some corn pone lingering in the background with some sweetness enhancing the corn aroma... malt aromas get stronger as it warms, displaying rich, toasty-cookie and malt-liquor-like nuances, maybe even a hint of alcohol

T: malt liquor-esque flavor up front with a stale Wonder crust follow-through in the finish... fairly dry aftertaste, despite the malt flavor lingering around on the palate... dull, dried-grass flavor and bitterness

F: comes across up front on certain sips rather fat (carbonation?), but it always immediately drops off dry and mildly sharp... compact, lighter-bodied

O: it's not all that bad - High Life may be more flavorful - I'll have to check em side by side...

2.72/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured a light yellow hue with a scent of faint grains and corn. Tasted similar to many other AALs but a bit more watery. Overall not bad but Miller High Life is better.

2.53/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

-pours a light golden with a medium,foamy,white head
-medium carbonation visible
-corn sweetness,biscuity,slight honey,spicy hops,faint cardboard
-no hops detectable,metallic,cereals,cooked potatoes
-finishes dry with lingering corn sweetness
-medium carbonation
-light body
Honestly,it's not as awful as often talked about.
Overall a slightly below average Pale Lager.
Nothing offensively awful.

4.39/5  rDev +86%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer has a target of its own.
You can not give this beer an impresion without understanding the purpose of this beer.
When you are thirsty in a hot hot day this beer is the best beer out there. When it is cold and there is snow outside this beer is its worst anemy .

It is all about body and mouth temp .
If you do not understand it you will never know when to buy which beer .
Good Luck .

3.36/5  rDev +42.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Honestly, Nothing stands out as particularly bad about this beer, but then again nothing stands out at all about it. It's rather refreshing and completely inoffensive but it's average at best and bland at worst.

4.52/5  rDev +91.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I always drank Miller High Life & it wasn't until recently that I started buying MGD. I always thought of it as an old man's beer. Then I found out that it was the same ingredients as High Life, just cold filtered instead of pasteurized, to help give it the draft beer taste. I see a lot of negative reviews but don't really understand them. Yes I know it's not a "craft beer" but I would recommend that you give it a try for yourself rather then read silly reviews.

I don't get the hateful reviews on this.

This is definitely one of the best macro beers out there.
Very smooth, malty, nicely balanced, with a taste of hops to finish.

I'd say it's nearly on par with Narragansett lager.
I'm giving it 5/5 for what it achieves with the style.

(Nice can too)

4.04/5  rDev +71.2%

Smells bad but taste good. Have looked all over for this and found it! Besides mickey's, this is definitely my favorite Miller product and has more of a barley taste than most American Adjunct Lagers..really like this..definitely is what Miller set out to do in a draft beer in a bottle

3.05/5  rDev +29.2%

A - clear golden straw in color. thin, frothy, but somewhat creamy white head that dissipates quickly. fast rising carbonation and lots of it. 3/5

S - corn, rice, and some light grain. grassy note to the hops. slight green apple. 3/5

T - corn and light malt are the most prevalent flavors. maybe a very slight grassiness. tastes like a typical american lighter beer. packs somewhat more flavor than miller lite or bud light though. 3/5

M - very carbonated, scrubbing bubbles sensation. light to medium body. 3.5/5

O - good beer for a hot day or drinking with food. goes well with everything minus dessert. not a lot going on in terms of flavor or aroma but not much expected either. 3/5

1.06/5  rDev -55.1%

For a "non-light" beer, this is truly as bad as it gets. The only reason it gets a 2 for appearance is because of the label. I know that's not technically appropriate but c'mon. There's an eagle. Eagles are dope. It's a good bird. "Coo coo, yeah yeah," what a good bird.

1.92/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Pours a amberish corn color with a lace of head. Smells like fermented corn. Goes down pretty harshly, quite putrid, and slightly bitter. Ones of the worst adjuncts I've hard. Was hard to finish.

2.78/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Serve Ice cool on a very hot day. A neutral thirst killer without any interesting characters but if you prefer beer with less beer taste you surely like it.

1.16/5  rDev -50.8%

Back in the day (3 years ago) I had one friend over 21 that would buy me a 12 pack of beer and id sneak that 12 pack into my parents house and make it last a week, then after that week we'd go get another one. Well I was making my way down the line of all the Beers that I saw commercials for my entire life (thats all I knew at the time) and finally this one came.
Miller Genuine Draft.

This beer is awful. I was 18 - I'd drink Keystone all day, for all I cared. Id drink any beer I could get. Untill this one. I opened up this 12 pack chilled it and took a drink.
The look of this beer is its best feature (and thats not saying much).
It smelled exactly what it taste like- a skunky Busch Light that someone dropped a couple ounces of vegetable juice into. Honestly that is the only way I can describe this beer. Just awful. Do not buy. Do not try. Do not think about it. The only beer I have ever drank that gave me a instant headache. AWFUL.

1.77/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Light golden color with a fluffy head with low retention, but leaving laces.
Aroma of lemon and cereals.
Flavor with notes of cardboard, corn, metal, mild cabbage and lemon drops. Dry aftertaste with a very low bitterness.
Watery body with good carbonation.
It has a fair share of off-flavors, at least is not too sweet. Below average for style.

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Had this at a wedding. I try not to sound biased with this but the color really does remind me of piss. There is not much of an aroma and when you drink it really cold you don't get much to the taste. It is rather refreshing on a hot day outside. But if you don't finish it quick it warms up and it just starts to taste "off". It's hard to describe other than straw/hay like. Nothing complex or standout about this. Just chug and go.

2.94/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A - Very light in colour, reminds me of straw - a golden yellow

S - Standard lager smell. It has a bit more floral sweetness? than other lagers though

T - Crisp and clean taste, not much to it like I anticipated. A very easy drinking beer, I could easily down a lot of this with no problems. I has some weird metallic taste to it sometimes, other than that no complaints. Not an outstanding beer but not bad in my eyes either.

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Consumed our if a screw-top aluminum can at a minor-league baseball game.

Cold, refreshing, went down easy. It's not Sculpin, it's not Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. It's MGD, and it's exactly what a minor-league baseball game calls for. It's an inoffensive, easy to drink AAL.

2.49/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

Outliar detected!!!

awful look, no smell, zero taste but...refreshing

I wouldn't pour it out. When your options are mgd or water and you don't want water...

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This one is another emotional rating. It is not as bad as the average rating indicates. It is very decent for what it is - a run of the mill AAL. Does the job when asked.

2.25/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 oz. can that had been sitting in the bottom of a fridge for half a year, into a glass 300 ml mug. I don't know what a "bad" beer is supposed to look like but this looks like a pretty standard American macro lager, which it is.

I am, however, surprised by its drinkability, having not had an American macro lager in quite some time now. To me, there is nothing unpleasant about this brew. I never thought I'd say this about a beer like this, but I honestly have tasted much worse German lagers, having lived in Germany for six months and tasted some brews that never make it to the U.S.

It is mostly grassy sweet, with some just a hint of hops bitterness that doesn't last or bite at all. In fact, none of the flavor lasts or really asserts itself in any way. No aftertaste. Smell is a bit skunky but this doesn't come through in the taste. Light mouthfeel, easy drinking, no challenge at all, the mac and cheese of beer. I wouldn't turn my nose up at this on a hot summer day at a BBQ, but I'm not going to be the one to bring it to said BBQ or buy this unless it's really the only beer in the one local store out in the middle of the wild.

3.13/5  rDev +32.6%

A great beer, when canned, for all day ocean fishing trips. Very smooth and crisp. Several off quality batches have occurred over the years having a metallic off flavor.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.