Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Reviews by doktorhops:
2.08/5  rDev -7.1%

After such a gobsmackingly brilliant drop like Weihenstephaner Vitus I come to a brew that averages D+ in BA score; Miller Genuine Draft. My first question is "As opposed to Miller Non-Genuine Draft?", which is soon followed by "why am I reviewing this?"... the answer to which apart from it being really cheap is fairly straightforward - I've reviewed enough nice beers so it's time to review some nasty ones (yay...).

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a 500ml Pokal.

A: Body presents as a clear filtered p*** yellow (same colour out as in perhaps?), with a light foamy white head that soon settles to lacing around the inside of the glass.

S: Smells like hay and non-roasted barley. No hop depth to be found. There is a slight muskiness overriding everything and it does not bode well.

T: Tastes like a beer shandy with some grains thrown into the mix. Crisp with a light dry aftertaste. Really wish I hadn't bought a six-pack, but I guess I can save them for when mates come over (separate from my tasty Pale Ale's). Fairly barren and grainy, not as bad as some of the classic Aussie macro's (VB, MB, Toohey's, or Carlton Cold), however this is merely due to the dilution of those ugly macro Lager flavours that run rampant in Aussie Lagers.

M: Like a glass of lemonade or cola - too much fizz and far too watery.

D: If it was very hot outside and the beer was kept very cold (and you weren't paying for it) I could see a reason to drink this; it's cooling and thirst-quenching in an "I don't want to challenge the drinkers taste buds" kinda way... but life is too short in my opinion, we may only have a limited amount of beer we can drink in our lifetime so why even waste a second on beers without flavour?

Food match: Anything really, you won't taste the beer anyhow so go nuts... chilli, pastrami, wasabi fries with a side of hot English mustard... yeah no, forget the last one.

O my Lord. How do you really rate the beer of yer indigent youth without bias.

This was my default, O my brothers. My go-to, my backup. Others have Pabst, others have Rolling Rock, others have Yuengling, but mine was MGD.

I have had too many good times on the back end of an MGD to rate it any lower than a 2, but too much presence of mind to rate it any higher.

This is swill. There's no two ways about it. But, O my brothers, in the early to mid 1990s, it had the moniker "genuine", which was enough to sell it to a dork like me.

One night, one glorious night in the relative innocence of the 1990s I got picked up in a bar in Wisconsin after having ten of these by a VERY pretty girl, despite being myself utterly average in every regard, with no effort whatsoever expended on my part, and for that reason, MGD always has a home in my home when push comes to shove.

But it's really awful beer, truth to be told. I wouldn't buy this on purpose in a scenario short of the zombie apocalypse.

3.5/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer one time during the summer of 2012 and thought it was an ok to slightly decent beer. It is not a beer that i would have all of the time, but I would probably recommend it to another to try it. The taste was distinct and was very smooth and different from Miller High Life. The process of making a draft beer gives this beer a different characteristic.

2.13/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance – Clear, yellow body with strong carbonation and the typical Puxatawny Phil up and down head.

Smell – A light grain aroma, but not a lot. The Bud was a veritable bouquet compared to this nose.

Taste – Typical grain with a good amount of sweetness. Definitely sweeter than The King. It’s not fruit, though. More like Ju-Ju Bees or Gummi-Bears (not the good Gummi-Bears from Germany; those awful ones that they sell at the movie theaters).

What the heck is going on with the finish here? I can’t describe it, but it ruined what little flavor was in the body. I don’t know what that is.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation and fairly smooth.

Drinkability – Thirty-minutes of prep time in the freezer and canned to keep out the skunk does the trick with this one. That aftertaste though probably took it down a whole point.

2.5/5  rDev +11.6%

4.28/5  rDev +91.1%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws.

1.75/5  rDev -21.9%

2.33/5  rDev +4%

I guess this is drinkable at keg parties but not anywhere else. It poured a clear yellow color with a lightly frothy head that faded after a minute or two. The smell was very sweet and not pleasing at all. The taste was not much better. It was a very sweet taste but a grainy sweetness that got to me after a couple sips. I guess I got used to it after a few sips and it started going down eaiser so I gave it a little bit higher drinkability rating. Overall it is a standard macro that is bland, boring and not worth your time.

1.25/5  rDev -44.2%

1.98/5  rDev -11.6%

I not a big fan of Macro lagers and not a big fan of MGD i just buy one so i can review ...it does'nt smell good at all...not a good taste...and not even a good appearence .... for me this is a bad beer not good at all if you want to buy a Macro lager this one is not the one

3.33/5  rDev +48.7%

not horrable on tap, better than can or bottle. still not by far a good beer but somewhat better than in the bottle. has a flavor to it, not strong but not overly weak either. it was really cheap on tap, so that helps, i guess a fair beer for your value, but i would stick to tap

3.5/5  rDev +56.3%

2.25/5  rDev +0.4%

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.