Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Reviews by thehyperduck:
3.13/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

[Updated Jan 25 2013]

473 mL can from TBS, served ice cold. Been a few years since I've cracked open one of these.

Pours a familiar pale golden colour, highly effervescent, topped with two fingers of soapy, frothy white head that seeps away over the next few minutes. It leaves behind an impressive amount of lacing for the style, as well as a thin, foamy film at the surface. A fine-looking lager - unfortunately, it's not very fine-smelling. The aroma is comprised of pale malts, adjunct sweetness, and not much else. So very bland - at least it can't really be construed as offensive.

I haven't had this stuff in a while, but my first sip left me pleasantly surprised - I don't remember it tasting this good. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing interesting or creative here, with the pale malt sweetness, rice adjunct and weak grassiness unlikely to impress any seasoned craft beer drinkers. But the decent flavours, clean finish, smoothness and very high drinkability still combine to make this one of the better AALs available in these parts, at least in my opinion. Thin-bodied and watery, with stereotypically high carbonation levels.

Final Grade: 3.13, a passable C+. MGD is nothing special, but it's still a serviceable macro lager. Here in Canada, Miller brands seriously lack the market penetration they presumably enjoy in the States - I literally cannot remember the last time I saw someone buying this stuff. That being said, this is the sort of pale lager I could drink all night and not get sick of - light and refreshing, and without the obnoxious corn and cardboard flavours I often find in cheaper offerings of this stripe. It's not the sort of thing I'd ever buy regularly, but if someone handed me one of these at a party or campfire, I'd just be thankful it wasn't Budweiser (or even worse: a light beer).

thehyperduck, May 29, 2011

O my Lord. How do you really rate the beer of yer indigent youth without bias.

This was my default, O my brothers. My go-to, my backup. Others have Pabst, others have Rolling Rock, others have Yuengling, but mine was MGD.

I have had too many good times on the back end of an MGD to rate it any lower than a 2, but too much presence of mind to rate it any higher.

This is swill. There's no two ways about it. But, O my brothers, in the early to mid 1990s, it had the moniker "genuine", which was enough to sell it to a dork like me.

One night, one glorious night in the relative innocence of the 1990s I got picked up in a bar in Wisconsin after having ten of these by a VERY pretty girl, despite being myself utterly average in every regard, with no effort whatsoever expended on my part, and for that reason, MGD always has a home in my home when push comes to shove.

But it's really awful beer, truth to be told. I wouldn't buy this on purpose in a scenario short of the zombie apocalypse.

Oakenshield53, Sep 08, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +56.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer one time during the summer of 2012 and thought it was an ok to slightly decent beer. It is not a beer that i would have all of the time, but I would probably recommend it to another to try it. The taste was distinct and was very smooth and different from Miller High Life. The process of making a draft beer gives this beer a different characteristic.

RyanLaCount03, Feb 22, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance – Clear, yellow body with strong carbonation and the typical Puxatawny Phil up and down head.

Smell – A light grain aroma, but not a lot. The Bud was a veritable bouquet compared to this nose.

Taste – Typical grain with a good amount of sweetness. Definitely sweeter than The King. It’s not fruit, though. More like Ju-Ju Bees or Gummi-Bears (not the good Gummi-Bears from Germany; those awful ones that they sell at the movie theaters).

What the heck is going on with the finish here? I can’t describe it, but it ruined what little flavor was in the body. I don’t know what that is.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation and fairly smooth.

Drinkability – Thirty-minutes of prep time in the freezer and canned to keep out the skunk does the trick with this one. That aftertaste though probably took it down a whole point.

RoyalT, Aug 17, 2003

cam477, Sep 04, 2013

beerhunter13, Jan 09, 2012

tectactoe, Jun 09, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +91.1%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws.

JudgeRoughneck, Jan 02, 2007

tbryan5, Jan 10, 2013
2.33/5  rDev +4%

I guess this is drinkable at keg parties but not anywhere else. It poured a clear yellow color with a lightly frothy head that faded after a minute or two. The smell was very sweet and not pleasing at all. The taste was not much better. It was a very sweet taste but a grainy sweetness that got to me after a couple sips. I guess I got used to it after a few sips and it started going down eaiser so I gave it a little bit higher drinkability rating. Overall it is a standard macro that is bland, boring and not worth your time.

Dmann, Apr 11, 2004
1.25/5  rDev -44.2%

SuomiHobbit, Dec 12, 2013

Carissa, Jun 13, 2012

FadetoBock, Sep 02, 2013
1.98/5  rDev -11.6%

I not a big fan of Macro lagers and not a big fan of MGD i just buy one so i can review ...it does'nt smell good at all...not a good taste...and not even a good appearence .... for me this is a bad beer not good at all if you want to buy a Macro lager this one is not the one

BeerDreadz, Mar 28, 2007

DaftPatrick, May 15, 2014

BK2084, Aug 25, 2012

WuAnquo1, Jan 08, 2012
3.33/5  rDev +48.7%

not horrable on tap, better than can or bottle. still not by far a good beer but somewhat better than in the bottle. has a flavor to it, not strong but not overly weak either. it was really cheap on tap, so that helps, i guess a fair beer for your value, but i would stick to tap

twi1609372, Aug 15, 2004

TTripp725, Jul 28, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +56.3%

generallee, Feb 13, 2012
2.25/5  rDev +0.4%

ValpoExpo, Jun 13, 2013
2.08/5  rDev -7.1%

Blah, definately better out of a bottle by the thinnest of margins.

A: light yellow, quickly disapating head. not really anything special, but it looks like a beer.

S: metal and wet grain. put my nose right in it to get something, not very strong at all and that's likely a very good thing.

T: bland, thin, very little flavor at all. what's there is sweet corn and grains with a metallic aftertaste.

M: like the taste, very thin and watery. combine the two and you get a watery feel with a faint hint of beer taste. perhaps it was the mix with my saliva, but this really froths up in the mouth.

O: it was 32*C (89.6*F) outside at a gathering and these started going down after i ran out of my stock.

Bottom Line: Desperation beer.

EsoxLucius, Aug 24, 2011

TimoP, Nov 25, 2011

Doomcifer, Aug 01, 2014

HerbMeowing, Aug 04, 2014
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.