2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,677 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
tesguino

Mexico

4.65/5  rDev +106.7%

The gold of the american beers, in its bottle of 12 oz, the perfect serving for bbq, buddies meeting, 6 o´clock, etc, its appearance is exceptional, pure nugget, smell so good remain my first draft beer, in mexico, malt and hops really balanced, and the best thing of all its packaging, sorry for my comments on the bottle´s package and presentation, i am a Professional graphic designer.

10-06-2005 16:35:32 | More by tesguino
tjsmith910

4.35/5  rDev +93.3%

Although this does seem just the same as alot of other basic full flavored beers, It to me is exceptionaly refreshing. A great taste, an easy smell and a smooth quality. Again everybody has their opinions and own desired taste. For me, this is my comfort beer.

09-16-2010 14:51:53 | More by tjsmith910
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

4.28/5  rDev +90.2%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws.

01-02-2007 18:09:40 | More by JudgeRoughneck
CharlyNovember

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +84.4%

Whenever I feel like writing a review, I usually find myself reviewing a big name macro. I think this is because many of them get a really bum rap, and usually, in my opinion at least, solely in the name of beer snobbery. Don't get me wrong, I love craft brews and it's a large percentage of what I drink, but there are many a-time when I just feel like sluggin' a beer. So, sorry, there are really good macros, and macro lagers most definitely have a time and a place.

There really is nothing remarkable about Miller's smell, appearance, and feel. Looks like a pale lager, smells like a macro lager (you know, that real beery smell), and has less-than-over-the-top fizzy carbonation.

Anyhow, Miller has become a primary go-to brew for me and it's the taste that sets it apart from it's rival macros. It's like bread and butter. And my god, is it smooth (and please excuse my use of that word). It's my most drinkable beer, and mighty fine if you're having more than a few too. There's absolutely nothing off-putting about this beer, in fact it is delicious.

I'm real hard pressed to find a reason why this beer is so hated... other than beer snobbery. Maybe this beer is different in the States, but I doubt it since it is imported, not out-sourced brewed, up to Canada. Take it from me, this beer is good. There may not be anything to be learned about beer when drinking this, but hey, isn't that kind of the point sometimes?

01-16-2013 03:40:05 | More by CharlyNovember
surfmeister

4.1/5  rDev +82.2%

Underratred. Clean and crisp with fine malty taste. Not a strong, extreme beer, but it isn't supposed to be, the mouthfeel is extraordinary, I would put this up against SNPA on a hot summer day anytime. For the price and availability, this squashes many of the artsy micros. Open your mind, this is a fine beer.

08-02-2006 17:41:36 | More by surfmeister
LarryKemp

4.03/5  rDev +79.1%

I must start this review by saying I usually don't drink American Lagers but did so since I had one left over from a Superbowl party. In reviewing the BJCP guidelines I was surprised to find out this beer is brewed quite well to style.

The beer is quite clear, pale straw, and on initial pouring had a fair head with did not persist.

I detected no hop or malt aroma but a little DMS probably from the corn or rice. Nor did I detect any green apple smell.

I was struck by the DMS taste as well as the dry sting on the tongue. I could not really taste either the hops or the malt so I don't know if they were well balanced or non existant.

It was very light on body and was quite carbonated. As I said before I got the distinct tongue sting.

For an American Lager, it was very good. It fit the style well. If I was at a restaurant and they only had ice tea and MGD, I probably would take the tea.

01-28-2003 17:44:20 | More by LarryKemp
goodbyesoberday

Australia

4.03/5  rDev +79.1%

Pours very clear, head lingers on edges of glass only. Aroma disappoints, spicy with a cooked corn smell that borders on rotten. Malt low to none, no hop aroma. Improves on flavour, nice corny flavour overrides the unappealing aroma. A smooth and creamy mouthfeel is balanced by a nice carbonic bite.

08-11-2006 09:19:54 | More by goodbyesoberday
7beerphil

Maryland

Consumed straight from the 40oz bottle. Clear golden color, small amount of foam that quickly dissipates after tipping the bottle.

Tastes malty, but no hops note. Very crisp, clean, and refreshing. This one goes down great! No aftertaste.

I would most likely "swill" this one again if I was going for a 40oz beer rather than a stronger malt liquor.

12-16-2010 22:59:30 | More by 7beerphil
ZenAgnostic

3.98/5  rDev +76.9%

12oz bottle. Drank straight from the bottle. Is there any other way?

Appearance - Clear pale straw body. Typical light lager. Taken straight from the bottle so the head is hard to tell, and sort of irrelevant for the style anyway. Looks decent after a swirl. Better than Bud Light or Bud.

Smell - Sweet corny malt. Clean. Almost has traces of banana.

Taste - Corny malt. Better than Warsteiner for doing what that style sets out to do.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, surprisingly. Not crisp, but not too syrupy either. Refreshingly effervescent.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty good in style. Not a good beer, but good in style. (I had to reiterate). Refreshing, light, slightly flavorful. Am I the only person here who actually rates by style still?

09-21-2011 17:44:04 | More by ZenAgnostic
martegenere

3.93/5  rDev +74.7%

I do not understand the reason why many people do not like Miller Genuine Drafft. I love this beer.

I like the taste and how it smell, maybe because this is the kind of beer that you can drink when you want to refresh yourself. Is very good to drink in hot temperatures and when people is tired, relaxing , etc

08-25-2013 08:22:16 | More by martegenere
Alexnzx

Ireland

3.85/5  rDev +71.1%

The best word to describe it is refreshing. It is not the best tasting beer in the world, thats for sure, but after a long day of work, it is great to kick back and have a few of these.

Doesn't deserve the scrutiny it seems to be getting. I would defenitely advise someone who is thirsty to pick up a few bottles of this.

12-23-2013 04:50:56 | More by Alexnzx
logansboat15

3.8/5  rDev +68.9%

My first introduction to something beyond the standard American pilsners, MGD offers a liitle more in flavor. Pours standard pale pilsner yellow with a light head that lingers for a short while. Smells of hops with a bit of something more complex. Tastes well-blanced with an even tug-of-war between the malt and hops. The finish wins the match with a sweet, malty overtone that makes this an above average macro-lager. Light-to-medium mouthfeel that is highly drinkable. A perfect light summer beer. Goes good with almost any food.

05-15-2007 20:10:34 | More by logansboat15
millerguy81

3.8/5  rDev +68.9%

Draft beer in a bottle is as good as it gets with MGD. Goes down smooth and tastes great. Nothing fancy, this is a great bbq beer. Throw some burgers on the grill, crack open an MGD and have a great day out in the sun.

Not the best beer made by Miller, but a great cold filtered brew.

06-30-2007 03:01:19 | More by millerguy81
randyw41

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev +68%

I'm surprised at so many negative reviews on a classic American beer. This is a great dinner beer. Mild, not over-powering, so you don't lose the taste of the foods you're eating. Doesn't sit heavy in the stomach either. No preservatives, which is something I like, as nitrite preservatives give me a headache. I can drink this all night long, without worrying about a hangover. For the price, it ain't too bad. I prefer the bottle over the can. Can seems to have a tinny after-taste.

07-12-2009 15:17:39 | More by randyw41
Kwak

3.68/5  rDev +63.6%

Miller Genuine Draft
Head:White lacey ,empty foam.
Body:Crystel clear almost watery lightly carbonated.
Taste:Melo malt and a little bitter ,pretty smooth verry drinkabull.

King of the crap not to badd!

11-20-2002 18:45:10 | More by Kwak
pirates

South Africa

3.68/5  rDev +63.6%

Smell

I found the smell to be a bit stale and unwelcoming.

Taste

This beer is good on the palate and is particularly sweet. Goes down very well, especially with good company. Great party beer and I have found that one can consume lots without getting bored.

An enjoyable beer overall.

12-09-2007 11:15:37 | More by pirates
joe12pk

3.64/5  rDev +61.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Gold straw

S - Slight corn

T - Highly carbonized corn, malt and faint hops.

M - Medium and a bit creamy

O - I really like this- always have. Goes down smooth. Very refreshing! I know that my leg-crossing, pansy beer aficionado peers sneer at this brew. Don't listen to them! This is a good standard that stands tall amongst it's throng of competitors.

Serving type: can

04-15-2014 05:38:16 | More by joe12pk
supercolter

3.63/5  rDev +61.3%

Ok so I know i am in the minority here, but i like this beer...

A- average, golden color, minimal head some lacing
S- not complex, a bit of yeast, even littler bit of hops, but not bad
T- again not very complex, pretty standard american macro- but a good flavor
M- not a lot of carbonation, heavier than other American macros
D- goes down easy

05-27-2006 20:43:33 | More by supercolter
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.63/5  rDev +61.3%

Well I haven't had this in a while...saw it at a bar earlier for cheap. What the hell, might as well have one of these...just for a Beer Advocate review..

Appearance: Straw color, pale. Looks like the macro lager style that it is. No foam at all. Not that I expected any.

Smell: Grains, very weak malts and corn. Other than that, nothing much. Its not too strong in any department. Just a basic smell.

Taste: Not much really, its kind of bland. I can get weak grains and corn, somewhat. Its mostly carbonation. There is a slight hop bitterness, but not much else.

Mouthfeel: Well the carbonation lends itself to a crisp flavor, and it goes down fairly smooth. Its pretty thin bodied and watery, but maybe that's because I drink more complex beers generally. Does a good job in this department

Drinkability: Well, due to all that was said in the taste and mouthfeel category, I have to give it props here. Its easy to drink and that's what its meant for. The guys at Miller weren't going for some overly complex beer here...they just wanted to produce a beer that is easy to drink, somewhat refreshing and not very offensive in taste.

It does the job, and I don't want to slam a beer just because I'm into hefeweizens. Its a beer to drink at a game, or to get drunk from. This is what I drank during undergrad. I thought it was classier than Miller Lite, or Hurricane Malt Liquor which were generally the other options. Seriously, its not that offensive, and it serves its purpose. A beer doesn't have to be costly or complex to be good.

That being said, I won't be having this voluntarily any time soon.

09-19-2008 07:26:35 | More by kshankar
NOOGIE

3.6/5  rDev +60%

Look: Poured 22 oz cup from US Cellular Field. Bright golden color, great pour by vendor, no foam at all! Good carbonation.

Smell: Lots of grains, wheat and corn, malts and hops.

Taste: Good clean malty feel. Really smooth, very fresh, and lots of grains and hops.

Mouthfeel: Very thin, almost nothing left in your mouth after you finished.

Drink: Very good and easy. Overall good job MGD, much better than the way it tasted.

08-16-2008 03:42:53 | More by NOOGIE
righlander

3.6/5  rDev +60%

looks and smells like a macro.
taste is a bit more dry than usual.
a bit of cereal grains and very smooth.
finishes dry leaving nothing to remember.
mouthfeel is a bit more heavy with some smaller than normal bubbled carbonation.

good, slammable, non offensive brew, as macros go.

a very well done adjunct lager.
great on a hot summer day

08-12-2013 04:06:17 | More by righlander
sofingraw

Hawaii

3.53/5  rDev +56.9%

I dig it. Far better than Budweiser in my opinion, and a much tastier beer to have at a party than some crappy light beer like Miller, Bud, or Coors Light, but just as drinkable as one of those. It's not a great beer, but it isn't bad, especially considering it's status as a macro. I'll drink a bunch of em'.

08-05-2008 12:17:05 | More by sofingraw
RyanLaCount03

3.5/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer one time during the summer of 2012 and thought it was an ok to slightly decent beer. It is not a beer that i would have all of the time, but I would probably recommend it to another to try it. The taste was distinct and was very smooth and different from Miller High Life. The process of making a draft beer gives this beer a different characteristic.

02-22-2013 01:35:27 | More by RyanLaCount03
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

3.48/5  rDev +54.7%

355ml clear bottle served in a pint glass. This is the Canadian version. At one time I know at it was brewed by Molson, but in the past few years the label has said "Imported" so I'll assume that this is now the same beer as that in the states.

Clear, pale straw yellow in colour. White head has big bubbles and is 1/4 inch thick. Reduces to a thin circle around the edge while leaving lace.

Aroma is grainy and sweet with a slight hoppy-bitter undertone.

Crisp and clean and smooth. These go down easy, but have very mild flavour characteristics. Slightly sweet and slightly bitter at the swallow making a nice balance. Grainy, and slightly acidic, aftertaste that hangs around for awhile.

Light bodied mouthfeel and fizzy. Nothing special here, but it goes down smooth.

While this isn't a beer that gives you a whole lot in the flavour department, there isn't anything offensive about it either. MGD is actually one of the better macros, and one that I drink regularly when in establishments that don't serve craft beer.

07-10-2005 01:35:24 | More by Noxious26
unkiedave

Utah

3.48/5  rDev +54.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

MGD is one of those beers that has grown on me with repeated sessions. Pours a pale standard piss-yellow color, nothing too exciting. Lacing gives way too quickly and only the faintest amount of lacing remains in the bottle. Gives a hoppy, slightly sweet smell, similar to a PBR or the like. Where I give MGD its props is in regards to its taste and mouthfeel.

MGD isn't too bubbly and has the mouthfeel of many beers that cost much more. The taste of MGD is very smooth and the flavor has just the right balance of hops and it goes down very smoothly. Add that to the fact that while this isn't the cheapest mass prodcued beer out there, it is far more reasonably priced than other beers that taste no better, but cost far more. I give MGD a thumbs up, definately worth a try.

07-01-2006 16:00:53 | More by unkiedave
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.