Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 619 | Hads: 2,250

MGD hits the spot. Good at parties. Miller is just good in general. Yeah they are big, but i enjoy miller quite a lot. Rating this against the style, this is good stuff. (169 characters)

I don't get the hateful reviews on this.

This is definitely one of the best macro beers out there.
Very smooth, malty, nicely balanced, with a taste of hops to finish.

I'd say it's nearly on par with Narragansett lager.
I'm giving it 5/5 for what it achieves with the style.

(Nice can too) (292 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +93.8%

The gold of the american beers, in its bottle of 12 oz, the perfect serving for bbq, buddies meeting, 6 o´clock, etc, its appearance is exceptional, pure nugget, smell so good remain my first draft beer, in mexico, malt and hops really balanced, and the best thing of all its packaging, sorry for my comments on the bottle´s package and presentation, i am a Professional graphic designer. (390 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +87.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I always drank Miller High Life & it wasn't until recently that I started buying MGD. I always thought of it as an old man's beer. Then I found out that it was the same ingredients as High Life, just cold filtered instead of pasteurized, to help give it the draft beer taste. I see a lot of negative reviews but don't really understand them. Yes I know it's not a "craft beer" but I would recommend that you give it a try for yourself rather then read silly reviews. (466 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +82.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer has a target of its own.
You can not give this beer an impresion without understanding the purpose of this beer.
When you are thirsty in a hot hot day this beer is the best beer out there. When it is cold and there is snow outside this beer is its worst anemy .

It is all about body and mouth temp .
If you do not understand it you will never know when to buy which beer .
Good Luck . (395 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +77.2%

Although this does seem just the same as alot of other basic full flavored beers, It to me is exceptionaly refreshing. A great taste, an easy smell and a smooth quality. Again everybody has their opinions and own desired taste. For me, this is my comfort beer. (260 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +74.7%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws. (563 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +69.3%

Underratred. Clean and crisp with fine malty taste. Not a strong, extreme beer, but it isn't supposed to be, the mouthfeel is extraordinary, I would put this up against SNPA on a hot summer day anytime. For the price and availability, this squashes many of the artsy micros. Open your mind, this is a fine beer. (311 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +67.6%

Smells bad but taste good. Have looked all over for this and found it! Besides mickey's, this is definitely my favorite Miller product and has more of a barley taste than most American Adjunct Lagers..really like this..definitely is what Miller set out to do in a draft beer in a bottle (286 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +67.2%

Whenever I feel like writing a review, I usually find myself reviewing a big name macro. I think this is because many of them get a really bum rap, and usually, in my opinion at least, solely in the name of beer snobbery. Don't get me wrong, I love craft brews and it's a large percentage of what I drink, but there are many a-time when I just feel like sluggin' a beer. So, sorry, there are really good macros, and macro lagers most definitely have a time and a place.

There really is nothing remarkable about Miller's smell, appearance, and feel. Looks like a pale lager, smells like a macro lager (you know, that real beery smell), and has less-than-over-the-top fizzy carbonation.

Anyhow, Miller has become a primary go-to brew for me and it's the taste that sets it apart from it's rival macros. It's like bread and butter. And my god, is it smooth (and please excuse my use of that word). It's my most drinkable beer, and mighty fine if you're having more than a few too. There's absolutely nothing off-putting about this beer, in fact it is delicious.

I'm real hard pressed to find a reason why this beer is so hated... other than beer snobbery. Maybe this beer is different in the States, but I doubt it since it is imported, not out-sourced brewed, up to Canada. Take it from me, this beer is good. There may not be anything to be learned about beer when drinking this, but hey, isn't that kind of the point sometimes? (1,430 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +67.2%

I must start this review by saying I usually don't drink American Lagers but did so since I had one left over from a Superbowl party. In reviewing the BJCP guidelines I was surprised to find out this beer is brewed quite well to style.

The beer is quite clear, pale straw, and on initial pouring had a fair head with did not persist.

I detected no hop or malt aroma but a little DMS probably from the corn or rice. Nor did I detect any green apple smell.

I was struck by the DMS taste as well as the dry sting on the tongue. I could not really taste either the hops or the malt so I don't know if they were well balanced or non existant.

It was very light on body and was quite carbonated. As I said before I got the distinct tongue sting.

For an American Lager, it was very good. It fit the style well. If I was at a restaurant and they only had ice tea and MGD, I probably would take the tea. (909 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +65.1%

Pours very clear, head lingers on edges of glass only. Aroma disappoints, spicy with a cooked corn smell that borders on rotten. Malt low to none, no hop aroma. Improves on flavour, nice corny flavour overrides the unappealing aroma. A smooth and creamy mouthfeel is balanced by a nice carbonic bite. (300 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +64.7%

12oz bottle. Drank straight from the bottle. Is there any other way?

Appearance - Clear pale straw body. Typical light lager. Taken straight from the bottle so the head is hard to tell, and sort of irrelevant for the style anyway. Looks decent after a swirl. Better than Bud Light or Bud.

Smell - Sweet corny malt. Clean. Almost has traces of banana.

Taste - Corny malt. Better than Warsteiner for doing what that style sets out to do.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, surprisingly. Not crisp, but not too syrupy either. Refreshingly effervescent.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty good in style. Not a good beer, but good in style. (I had to reiterate). Refreshing, light, slightly flavorful. Am I the only person here who actually rates by style still? (749 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +64.3%

MGD will always be my highest rated big brewery beer. When I was young, Miller Lite was my go to beer. I eventually graduated to MGD due to the amount of taste and how smooth and drinkable it was. I do tend to not drink it anymore because if I’m out partying I tend to go to Miller Lite because it is easier for me to watch my alcohol intake. (344 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +63.9%

Consumed straight from the 40oz bottle. Clear golden color, small amount of foam that quickly dissipates after tipping the bottle.

Tastes malty, but no hops note. Very crisp, clean, and refreshing. This one goes down great! No aftertaste.

I would most likely "swill" this one again if I was going for a 40oz beer rather than a stronger malt liquor. (351 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +62.7%

I do not understand the reason why many people do not like Miller Genuine Drafft. I love this beer.

I like the taste and how it smell, maybe because this is the kind of beer that you can drink when you want to refresh yourself. Is very good to drink in hot temperatures and when people is tired, relaxing , etc (311 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +57.7%

I actually buy these and coors beers. I rather like this. Good flavor smooth and doesn't leave you disappointed. I drink these frequently. It tastes like beer smells like beer and is high quality for a macro. Good show miller, I rather like this beer (250 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +57.3%

The best word to describe it is refreshing. It is not the best tasting beer in the world, thats for sure, but after a long day of work, it is great to kick back and have a few of these.

Doesn't deserve the scrutiny it seems to be getting. I would defenitely advise someone who is thirsty to pick up a few bottles of this. (323 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +56.4%

Draft beer in a bottle is as good as it gets with MGD. Goes down smooth and tastes great. Nothing fancy, this is a great bbq beer. Throw some burgers on the grill, crack open an MGD and have a great day out in the sun.

Not the best beer made by Miller, but a great cold filtered brew. (287 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +55.6%

My first introduction to something beyond the standard American pilsners, MGD offers a liitle more in flavor. Pours standard pale pilsner yellow with a light head that lingers for a short while. Smells of hops with a bit of something more complex. Tastes well-blanced with an even tug-of-war between the malt and hops. The finish wins the match with a sweet, malty overtone that makes this an above average macro-lager. Light-to-medium mouthfeel that is highly drinkable. A perfect light summer beer. Goes good with almost any food. (532 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +54.8%

I'm surprised at so many negative reviews on a classic American beer. This is a great dinner beer. Mild, not over-powering, so you don't lose the taste of the foods you're eating. Doesn't sit heavy in the stomach either. No preservatives, which is something I like, as nitrite preservatives give me a headache. I can drink this all night long, without worrying about a hangover. For the price, it ain't too bad. I prefer the bottle over the can. Can seems to have a tinny after-taste. (484 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +53.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From a clear 12 ounce long-neck bottle. Pours pale yellow with a 1" head, some lacing. Aroma is mild, corny, some slight metallic note.
Taste is mild malts with just the slightest hop taste in the finish. Mouthfeel is on the watery end of the spectrum. The biggest plus is drinkability. Good values abound in this arena.

Update: Oct. 14, 2014.
Pours clear gold with two plus fingers of dense foamy white head that stays longer than any other macro beer I have had. Nice rings of lace stick to the side of the glass.
Smell is malty grains with some herbal hop aroma.
Taste is sweet grainy malts with just a bit of herbal hop bitterness. The bitterness is more apparent if you drink more than one.
Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied just enough carbonation.
Overall an excellent warm weather beer. It does help to check the best by date. (839 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +51.5%

Miller Genuine Draft
Head:White lacey ,empty foam.
Body:Crystel clear almost watery lightly carbonated.
Taste:Melo malt and a little bitter ,pretty smooth verry drinkabull.

King of the crap not to badd! (209 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +50.2%

Ok so I know i am in the minority here, but i like this beer...

A- average, golden color, minimal head some lacing
S- not complex, a bit of yeast, even littler bit of hops, but not bad
T- again not very complex, pretty standard american macro- but a good flavor
M- not a lot of carbonation, heavier than other American macros
D- goes down easy (350 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Gold straw

S - Slight corn

T - Highly carbonized corn, malt and faint hops.

M - Medium and a bit creamy

O - I really like this- always have. Goes down smooth. Very refreshing! I know that my leg-crossing, pansy beer aficionado peers sneer at this brew. Don't listen to them! This is a good standard that stands tall among it's throng of AAL competitors. (361 characters)

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.