2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,676 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
joe12pk

3.64/5  rDev +61.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Gold straw

S - Slight corn

T - Highly carbonized corn, malt and faint hops.

M - Medium and a bit creamy

O - I really like this- always have. Goes down smooth. Very refreshing! I know that my leg-crossing, pansy beer aficionado peers sneer at this brew. Don't listen to them! This is a good standard that stands tall amongst it's throng of competitors.

04-15-2014 05:38:16 | More by joe12pk
mfnmbvp

1.93/5  rDev -14.2%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of April 14, 2014 printed on the bottleneck. A friend gifted this bottle to me yesterday at a cookout so that I could finally review it on here and lay this one to rest. Another one of Miller's classic line-up beers. It's been a while since I've had this, but I'm not expecting much.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a thin watery pale straw yellow. Looks exactly the same in the glass as it did in the bottle. Two fingers of fluffy foamy bone white head. Lots of bubbles. Standard appearance. Some halfway decent head retention for what it is, and some nice scattered strands of fluffy lace.

S - Musty yeast and grainy / husky pilsner malts. Some dusty and dirty coiny metallics. Not very pleasant smelling.

T - Taste follows the nose - harsh grainy husky malts, musty east, wet paperboard, and a sharp nail polish remover alcohol bite, despite the low abv. Tastes of cheap adjuncts and chemically treated swill. Grainy & nail polish remover are the best words I have to describe this one.

M - Feel has the trademark Miller crispness to it. Light-bodied with okay carbonation. Easy drinking.

Overall, not my favorite offering from the bottom of the barrel adjunct lagers, but that didn't come as any surprise to me. Cheap, mildly offensive, but it would go well with some BBQ on hot day.

Miller Genuine Draft ---2/5.

03-17-2014 23:14:22 | More by mfnmbvp
samtrillo

1.79/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A - Nothing special. Golden piss.

S - Hmmm, smells like bad lager...

T - Yep, not good. But if I'm comparing, slightly better than other lame duck major lagers out there.

O - Nothing special or good here. If you need a cheap American lager pick Miler High life, actually. This, however is derivative at not really worth your time. You can find cheaper that you wont notice if it's worse or even better for that matter.

02-23-2014 05:25:17 | More by samtrillo
Warmonster

Missouri

3.29/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer gets a bad wrap from some people but really this is probably one of the best brews from miller that I know of.. People getting this and complaining seem like they don't even realize what theyre buying.. It isn't meant to be a craft beer at all.. It simply suppose to taste like a fresh draft beer.. that's it.. and to me it tastes BETTER than many drafts.. I will admit the taste can vary.. sometimes they taste better than others.. and tbh The PAST mgd seemed better than whats made now.. But maybe its my tastes changing, no idea. But it has a very cereal grainy smell to it.. stronger than any beer I can think of.. everytime I smell it I think "cereal". it has a lot of carbonation and in my opinion, a decent taste. When I buy beer this is basically the cheapest beer I will ever buy, and it sure does the trick for what It is.. The only complaint I might have is I can drink ALOT of them.. seems like an 18 pack of these doesn't last long.. black crown is the same way... something about them makes u wanna drink em fast...

02-21-2014 00:07:36 | More by Warmonster
bullwinkle88

Isle of Man

3.15/5  rDev +40%

So the gimmick of this beer is that it isn't pasteurized. I can't think of too many macro beers that aren't (I know Coors Banquet used to be unpasteurized but I don't know if this is still the case). Miller seems to maintain that something is lost during this pasteurization process that makes it markedly different from a draft beer. Kegs are not pasteurized, hence the Genuine Draft title. It is, essentially, an attempt at draft-version of Miller High Life.

Semantics aside, what we have here is a solid all-around swill. This is better than Bud and Coors' full flavored offerings. Obviously you know right away whether or not this beer is worth your time. I like this sort of thing, this is a classic beer. By classic I mean "typical example" and not "enduring work of excellence". This is the kind of beer my dad and uncles remember chugging after a baseball game or what have you. Its not reinventing the wheel. Miller set out to make a bottled beer with draft taste and on that level, they succeeded. This is not a bad beer, much better than Lite and as good as High Life. As I have stated, it tastes like a draft version of High Life. Whether or not you find that appealing is up to you.

The beer looks great. Frothy, foamy head that retains, and is superior in appearance to any macrobrew I have ever seen, and better than many craft beers. Taste is classic miller, corny, complete absence of hops. Taste is comparable to High Life but the mouthfeel is markedly inferior to that beer, as it does not have the same "champagne" like carbonation.

I liked this beer and its one I will start buying more often as the days turn warmer and thoughts turn to that of baseball games and barbeques.

02-17-2014 02:58:40 | More by bullwinkle88
spokes100

2.73/5  rDev +21.3%

Hard to tell why I drink this. Has no outstanding characteristics. First off it comes in a clear glass bottle, not good for shelf life. Second it's appearance looks like p***, you know. Smells like medicine. Taste, what taste. Mouthfeel like water.

But when you come in from 3 hours on the John Deere it certainly doesn't taste like water. Goes down easily, after a couple a three before dinner even "she who must obeyed" cooking seems like gourmet!

Quenches the thirst nicely. I always keep some in the fridge. Never drink water when you can drink beer!

01-31-2014 01:19:58 | More by spokes100
samparkique4

United Kingdom (England)

2.61/5  rDev +16%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.75 max
-0.4 significantly order stastistically
malty barlish
smooth crisp and wellcarbonated
husky mid bodied
pale golden
Man sitting next to me laughing over the grammar on TV ...
grainy lite toasty
great for thirtsty quenching
so-grainy
toasted grain bready cereal
hops are used and can be tasted yet dull in taste and palate | smell husky and lite

01-30-2014 16:54:27 | More by samparkique4
Fatehunter

Oregon

Pours two fingers of head on a clear light golden colored body.
The aroma is an unpleasantly sharp metallic lemon and rice smell.
The taste is sweet with some mild bitterness towards the end. Just really sweet.
The texture is crisp with some stickiness. Moderate carbonation, but it feels really fizzy.
Well, it looked good.

01-27-2014 00:01:08 | More by Fatehunter
dacrza1

1.63/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

DATE TASTED: January 10, 2014... GLASSWARE: Ommegang pokal...OCCASION: Shan's winterm is over; new Shark tank... APPEARANCE: two-finger swiftly declining soupy white head; slightly sallow, golden body with sparse bubbles; lacing is cloudy and sporadic... AROMA: sharp, pingy hops; malts are corny with wafts of honey and syrup... PALATE: gas-inducing, rather thin body; lingering aftertaste; oily and resilient...TASTE: sweet, almost lip-puckering sweet corn malt akin to thee malt liquor swigged in college... OVERALL: a top-shelf beer-fridge filler and a third-beer-of-the-night kind of quality; does not distinguish itself from the rest of the miller production line...

01-25-2014 04:45:36 | More by dacrza1
The-Jolly-Imbiber

Antarctica

2.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a non-beer glass.

Poured gold-yellow, with a huge head (3 fingers plus), but I think that's because the bottle was shaken/moved a bit before I got it. Colour looks like a light apple juice. Lots of bubbles flying up the glass. Head settled in a couple minutes to some random foam and lacing, very uneven.

Scent was a sort of bready aroma, a little reminiscent of Italian food (tomato sauces, etc.).

Flavour: Quite light. In fact, almost tastes like apple juice. That cherry-like flavour is present, as expected from an American Adjunct Lager. Not my preference as far as beer flavours go.

Moderate carbonation, which I like.

Overall, no surprises here, but this is not a beer style I like. I suppose I would choose this over Budweiser, though, if that's all the choice I had.

01-01-2014 04:48:43 | More by The-Jolly-Imbiber
Beric

Indiana

3.01/5  rDev +33.8%

Served: 24 December 2013
Serving: Can

Appearance: I had this one straight out of the can, so I can't say much about the appearance other than the can looked okay.

Smell: Smells sweet with lots of corn in the nose, as you would expect from an AAL. Overall much less pungent than a PBR, but that could have been from the can as well.

Taste: Really not half bad for a cheap AAL. No off flavors to speak of and very clean tasting. Sweet, but not as sweet as a PBR. A little harsher than other AALs, but not in a terrible way.

Mouthfeel: Starts off pretty good but gets rather thin as the can warms up.

Overall: In terms of mass-produced AALs, this is pretty darn good. In terms of all beer, avoid it. This is one you need to have low expectations for and one that is best consumed at a sporting event or family party where everyone has low beer expectations. A cheap party beer that doesn't have "light" attached to its name.

12-30-2013 17:58:37 | More by Beric
Alexnzx

Ireland

3.85/5  rDev +71.1%

The best word to describe it is refreshing. It is not the best tasting beer in the world, thats for sure, but after a long day of work, it is great to kick back and have a few of these.

Doesn't deserve the scrutiny it seems to be getting. I would defenitely advise someone who is thirsty to pick up a few bottles of this.

12-23-2013 04:50:56 | More by Alexnzx
ThomasMetal75

3.16/5  rDev +40.4%

* Reviewed along with Ronald Theriot, aka Louisiana Beer Reviews on Youtube, in a Google+ chat.*

A- Looked alright in the glass for an adjunct lager. I used my etched Miller Lite shaker, and it was well carbonated, and had a soapy head that actually did stick around. Lacing at bottom of glass is there.

S- Sweet, grainy, wet cardboard, corn husks, slight hop spice. Tad malty now that I think of it. No cooked veggie smell here.

T- Slightly creamy head. Clean water taste, sweet, with a wet grainy, corn husk type taste. Not that I've tried wet paper, but I'd guess similar to that in graininess. Nothing wow or bad. Not overly adjunct in taste, but it is there.

M- Light, watery, crisp, clean, and refreshing. Slight grainy bitter type finish is the only downfall. Dry overall.

*Overall, this is an average beer. For adjunct lagers, it not half bad! It does have a draft type creamy feel, but it is just your standard American lager. But I was pleasantly supprised to see how the lacing stuck around at the bottom of the glass. I wouldn't ever pass up an MGD, although, I'd just not go out of my way to buy some.

12-08-2013 16:06:58 | More by ThomasMetal75
kgammell1

Maryland

2.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: It looks like a cheap beer. Very little head, thin lacing down the side of the bottle and a piss yellow color.

Smell: Smelled almost like a Corona, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, but it was almost soapy in smell and a little watered down.

Taste: Not that bad. Not that good either. It was clean tasting, non-offensive but pretty bland. I had a few in the afternoon relaxing and it was great in that environment when I was something cheap, wet and alchoholic. Like a bad Corona. But not really.

Mouthfeel: Felt like a soda, very bubbly and acidic.

Overall: 2.5/5 because I drank three and was happy, thirst was quenched and my wallet remained full and my pride didn't allow me to resort to anything worse than this.

11-22-2013 01:00:35 | More by kgammell1
JJKBeerLvr

1.88/5  rDev -16.4%

Served September 2013 from keg into pint glass

Appearance: Light gold, with thin head that did not last long. It looks better than it tastes.

Smell: Very mild aromas. I get some sweet-malt aromas, but overall not much.

Taste: Very light body. Not a lot of hops nor malt taste.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but smooth smooth.

Overall: Ok American pilsner. I prefer this to the other mass produced pilsners like Bud or Pabst. Would not buy a case, but will drink it if only American pilsners are available.

09-23-2013 19:26:05 | More by JJKBeerLvr
ckollias

Maryland

2.7/5  rDev +20%

Enjoyed this bottle of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a golden straw hue with a thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving a thin lace and partial trail.

S: Slightly skunky grains and hops.

T: Similar to the aroma there is a skunky flavor mixed with some grains and hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Actually not as bad as I though – better than bud light.

09-03-2013 15:10:47 | More by ckollias
martegenere

3.93/5  rDev +74.7%

I do not understand the reason why many people do not like Miller Genuine Drafft. I love this beer.

I like the taste and how it smell, maybe because this is the kind of beer that you can drink when you want to refresh yourself. Is very good to drink in hot temperatures and when people is tired, relaxing , etc

08-25-2013 08:22:16 | More by martegenere
righlander

3.6/5  rDev +60%

looks and smells like a macro.
taste is a bit more dry than usual.
a bit of cereal grains and very smooth.
finishes dry leaving nothing to remember.
mouthfeel is a bit more heavy with some smaller than normal bubbled carbonation.

good, slammable, non offensive brew, as macros go.

a very well done adjunct lager.
great on a hot summer day

08-12-2013 04:06:17 | More by righlander
WeizenMike

Ontario (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Not particularly offensive, it has no flavours that taste particularly bad; but it tastes like nothing. Reminded me of Perrier. A beer I would drink again at a party or somewhere that I want to get drunk cause it goes down smooth like the water it tastes like, but nothing I would ever purchase.

08-06-2013 07:04:06 | More by WeizenMike
Damian

1.64/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355ml bottle purchased at Contan Discount Liquors, Somerville, MA
Jun1713
Served in a pint glass

Surprisingly impressive appearance. The liquid poured a crystal clear, pale straw yellow color and was topped by an inch tall, bubbly, foamy, bright white head. Excellent retention. The head slowly faded to a thin film and deposited thick, drippy blankets of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was incredibly subtle. Some dry, powdery, lager yeast notes were detectible. Faint grains. Touch of skunkiness. Very adjunct ridden and watered down.

Like the aroma, the flavor profile was exceedingly nondescript. Somewhat grainy with adjunct notes. Slightly chemical-like. Bitter-ish finish. Super watery.

The mouthfeel was very light and over carbonated. Prickly, bubbly and rather distracting. Then again, maybe distracting is a good thing here.

Of all the American macro lagers I have tried, Miller Genuine Draft was one of the lightest on flavor, aroma and mouthfeel. This is truly carbonated water disguised as beer.

07-23-2013 15:59:54 | More by Damian
gtp537

Wisconsin

2.89/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A guilty pleasure. Sometimes You just need a light heavy beer, and this one fits the bill nicely. Pours a dark golden color. A solid head that condensed quickly. It drinks easily, and is quite carbonated. The taste dissipated quickly. Quite refreshing.

06-25-2013 00:25:57 | More by gtp537
Alextricity

2.46/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aug2613 on the bottom of the can... WOW! This beer is "good" for another 600 years!

Appearance: Actually looks... very good. A creamy looking head. A nice pale golden color. Nice lacing ... and this is just what I saw when looking down into my can. This may have actually been worth pouring. MEH.

Smell: Sweet corn... what a shock. Not overly corny, though. Nothing metallic.

Taste/feel: Taste is pretty subtle... almost drinks like a light beer. Almost nothing there. Creamed corn would describe this best. Maybe some grain, but yeah. Not much. Not bad though. The feel is actually REALLY creamy to me, which is a bit weird for this beer... or any lager. It gets kind of foamy in my mouth. Eh.

Another AAL that I like more than the majority. Not a good beer by any means, but it doesn't taste bad. The mouth feel was a surprise, though with the name "Genuine DRAFT" I should have actually expected it.

One of the better examples of the style.

06-24-2013 18:37:48 | More by Alextricity
Tones-

Arizona

2.44/5  rDev +8.4%

This beer brings back memories of my parents BBQ'ing and there was always this one family friend - a pretty funny middle aged guy, can't remember his name at the moment (this was almost 20 years ago) - who was always drinking this stuff. I literally don't recall anybody in those 20 years who has touted this as anything, or even given it basic respect. "Garbage beer" seems to be the consensus with everyone I know...I'm here to make some counterpoints:

Appearance: 12oz can with the "Punch Top" gimmick. Didn't bother with that. Crack this thing open and CRRRRSHSHSHHH - a solid amount of frothy head comes bursting from the top, then drizzling down the side of the can...very commercial-like...Plain enough golden can. Not gonna pour it, because to me this is a beer you just drink from the can. It is what it is. So far so good.

Smell: Rice, alcohol, a gallon of tap water that has baked in the sun for an indeterminable length of time. Not good.

Taste: white rice. Stale housebrand corn flakes. Watered down apple juice. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but very carbonated, with a sharp crisp finish. The frothiest, smoothest, most easy-drinking macro IN TERMS OF MOUTHFEEL. The way this beer drinks is spot on for the style, and blows the other brands out of the water.

Overall: This is what I thought all beer tasted like when I was a kid. The quintessential "EW, GROSS!" taste that everyone is familiar with back when you were ~6 years old and dad let you get a sip - a fond memory, looking back on it... back to the beer itself: i'd never go out of my way for it, and 9 times out of 10 i'd pass up buying it if i saw it. never turn down a free one though, and this would be great while doing some charcoal grilling, gritty yard work, car maintenance, or after a rough shift. there's a grit to it that is kind of charming, but also kind of gross.

06-24-2013 08:35:21 | More by Tones-
LJRat

2.01/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Very clear pale straw color very little lacing.

S: Not much on the aroma.

T: watery. .Taste is watery sweet iron / well water

M: watery..Pours a light amber with no head

O: it’s not that great, a cheap ok beer for Kayak It does not have the intensity of my usual beer a IPA. No hops some malt I feel like its missing something and that would probably be the lack of intensity of the hop flavors’ that I come to expect from my IPAs.
Serving type: Can

06-12-2013 22:26:00 | More by LJRat
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

2.26/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Served from a 341ml bottle.

A: Very clear pale straw color topped with a one finger head the dissipated quickly and left very little lacing.

S: Not much on the aroma. Perhaps a touch of grain and skunk, but otherwise pretty much scentless.

T: Very watery. The only things made really apparent on the palate are a displeasing graininess and a bit of skunk as well, most likely due to the clear bottle. Just very watery overall.

M:Fairly thin and very fizzy. Generic BMC feel really.

O: Not much to say about this beer other than its not that great. Used to drink it all the time but I can't see how I could stand it. I only drank half a glass and then gave it away to my dad.

06-03-2013 21:21:12 | More by Haydn-Juby
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.