1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,670 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

Maybe a bit better than bud, but still has no taste, doesn't really do anything for the imagination, i don't like it.

02-17-2002 20:35:57 | More by rastaman
Dubbercody

Washington

Picked up a can for 25 cents. Thought I should try it and at least learn how bad it really is for a quarter.

Fizzy yellow beer...yuck. This is worse than the last crappy macro...fizzy tart flavor. Smells like rice.

I wish I could get my quarter back.

02-17-2008 23:28:24 | More by Dubbercody
Rifugium

First had: ?

Do not want ever.

Poured a clear pee-pee color, with lots of carbonation, and a finger of bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of pee-pee and stale grains, Indian corn that's been hanging on the door too long. Tastes of skunk and more pee-pee, sickeningly sweet, with a rotten aftertaste. Yummy.

05-22-2011 02:44:07 | More by Rifugium
thegodfather2701

A-Pours a very pale straw yellow with nearly no head. One ring of lacing is left however, which is a surprise.

S-Honestly I'm not really picking up anything; a very slight generic beer smell is present but virtually no nose on this one.

T-My first thought was "Where is the beer?" Carbonated water, a splash of generic beer flavor and thats about it. This is as about as close to carbonated water as it gets in a non-light beer.

M-Thin and watery

D-Its easy drinking but frustrating since it does not really taste like beer.

I bought this because it was one of the first beers I liked when I first started drinking when I turned 21 and my birthday is approaching so I thought it would be good to retry it. Bad decision. This is one of the worst beers I have ever had. It has less taste than Miller Lite. Avoid this if all possible.

01-05-2013 22:56:44 | More by thegodfather2701
feloniousmonk

1.02/5  rDev -54.7%

I've spent more time in the company of this beer than I'm comfortable with, but not by drinking it, no, through serving to the customers at my bar. Happily, it's the only macro-crap I've got on tap, but it's exceedingly popular among those masses that I haven't the time or power to change their minds. In the name of research, curiosity, or maybe sadomasochism I venture forth to review a small sampling of this wretched brew.
Color: very pale yellow,nearly invisible, the very match of urine. Head: tall, fluffy, pure snow white. Aroma: zilch, zero, zip. I flared my nosrtils deep to try to detect something or anything but came up bone-dry, with maybe a touch of soap and flowers.
Mouthfeel is a rough and harsh terrain, with a grainy sweetness to be traversed in every sip. A horrid brashness exists in every attempt to gulp and it leaves a non-existent finish, as if the offending liquid wished no memory to remain of it's brief stay in the mouth. It passes through quickly, leaving not a trace, but only bad memories. The perfect beer for those who don't give a damn what goes down their gullet. No hops are felt, no malt, no body, no texture.
That's when I got it. I'd gone about it all wrong! Every time I tried to taste this sad excuse for a beer, I winced and pulled away, embittered and beated aback, every time this swill passed through my lips. When I merely gulped back and stopped thinking, however, there was no problem, no sirree, bob!
I wonder how people drink this stuff, then I realize that they've been hoodwinked! Somehow, they've been convinced that this foul concoction is actual beer and the Miller Brewing Co. is happy to provide. Lord save us all...

04-15-2003 02:28:17 | More by feloniousmonk
beerguy101

1.02/5  rDev -54.7%

Fizzy yellow color, small head. Chemical macro-beer aroma. EECH, this stuff reeks. Cornish flavor. Some malts, some hops and some flavor. Mass-market swill. Drank it cause it was free. Think I will drink a soda next time. Mouthfeel is thin and metallic. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is neutral.

09-03-2003 02:04:55 | More by beerguy101
daveGsus

1.02/5  rDev -54.7%

ok, the only reason I tried this one was because it was $1.50 a bottle at my job. WAY OVER PRICED, even on sale.the piss color it had was an indicator of what was to come. smelled liked sugar water, tastes like sugar water. this is the beer that made me a pursuer of fine beers. I would not drink this ever again nor would I allow a person I consider a friend to drink this abomination...but on the other hand thank you mgd for forcing me to pursue better tastes.

03-11-2009 17:50:14 | More by daveGsus
fourmann88

Washington

serving type: bottle

a - it looks like urine

s - it smells like urine

t - it tastes like urine, or what I'd imagine urine tasting like

m - it feels like carbonated urine

d - sure it could be pretty easy to throw a bunch of these back, but why in God's name would you want to?

there are way better macros out there, don't settle for this garbage

12-29-2009 00:07:52 | More by fourmann88
twelvsies

Maine

1.05/5  rDev -53.3%

I don't know how this ended up in my fridge, but sadly, I'm out of good beer, but it's still really hot here and I'm really thirsty, so here we go ladies and gents... this really doesn't look inviting. Smell is pretty terrible... soaked cardboard that's been run over by a car. Maybe a few cars... with muddy tires. Yep this is pretty much the worst beer I've had. Granted I'm drinking it right after a Rogue Brutal Bitter, one of my favs, but this stuff sucks. I've been getting by this summer, consuming a lot of Labatt Blue and Genny Cream Ale with my macro drinking friends, but this is almost undoable. There's a gross burpy-puke taste to this beer. You know, when you're real full and you take a sip of beer and then burp... well this beer tastes like that burp. Yuk. I think the trick to this beer is leaving it in the bottle. Or funneling.

07-26-2005 03:06:32 | More by twelvsies
MoreThanWine

1.05/5  rDev -53.3%

Poured all head initially, but that gradually dissipated to a soap suds lopsided dollop of head. Straw yellow in color. Smell has both malt and I'd dare say vinegar. Luckily taste doesn't have vinegar, but then again taste doesn't have much of anything except water, a little corn, a hint of bitter. Frankly it's a forget about it beer, one you swig like a glass of water.

This was one of the first brands I tried when I hit drinking age and I got a six pack now just to retry after 20+ years. I can't believe I've got 5 more of these I have to use up.

12-01-2010 12:37:30 | More by MoreThanWine
ronniebruner

Arizona

1.1/5  rDev -51.1%

Absolutely the worse beer on the planet. If you like low alcohol, no taste beer, you are either an alcoholic, or a bum, and you probably love this stuff. If you are a REAl beer drinker, you know better than this. STAY AWAY! Definitely in the top 2-3 worst beers in the world, and I'm ashamed of being an American when I see people drink this.

07-16-2010 20:05:20 | More by ronniebruner
imaguitargod

1.13/5  rDev -49.8%

Out of money so I had to drink what I was laying around. Unfortunately, it was MGD. Pours to a fast dissipating head with a very urine colored appearance (well, I eat a lot of vitamins so my urine is much healthier in color than this beer....which might say something about this beer).

Definite skunky taste that lingers in the background. I guess that's what you get for using CLEAR BOTTLES!!! Tastes of stale grain with dry mouth feel and no hop profile. Very thin and water like. Why anyone would drink this (unless they were waiting for their next paycheck and were absolutely desperate) is beyond me.

~Jonathan Passow

06-10-2009 01:52:48 | More by imaguitargod
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

1.15/5  rDev -48.9%

Wow, this beer just snowballs in a bad direction right from the start. The can is even a sickly yellow, big MDG on the label, with lots of faux condensation printed onto the can. Okay appearance for a macro, a little bit darker than straw, thin mottled head of foam that conks out, and even leaves a slight bit of lacing at first. For the smell I am having trouble getting through some sort of industrial/chemical aroma, but hiding behind that is grain husk and what I think is more rice adjunct than corn. The taste is truly repulsive, my god, this is worse than that A Marca Bavaria I had tried. Sharp chemical bite at first, rancid grains to follow, with the most horrible aftertaste I can remember encountering. I would gladly accept a Crazy Ed's Chili Beer to wash this down and kill this aftertaste. I'm craving a malt liquor after this, if only as a small step up in flavour. Can't even focus on the mouthfeel due to the taste. MGD, never again! This is the dregs of the dregs for any macros I've ever consumed so far.

05-02-2004 19:22:31 | More by IronDjinn
MayorAdamWest

1.15/5  rDev -48.9%

Sad to say it was the best offered at a wedding reception I attended recently. I haven't tried one of these in years... and it will be a cold day in hell when I try one again. Typical and not at all impressive in color. Tasted flat and bland... offensive. I couldn't really say what it tasted like... It wasn't malt and it wasn't hops. Paper? Dryer lint? I'm not sure, but it wasn't something that was actually meant to be consumed.

Stay away. Even as a pale lager it is offensive. Go grab a PBR and be happy if you want to drink something from this style.

EDIT:

I finally figured out just how I'd like to review this beer.

A - Fizzy yellow with a decent amount of head. This is the best thing it has going for it. Clean and clear...full of carbonation.

Smell - At first I had trouble figuring out if it was the beer or if the glass had been wet and laid upside down on a damp towel. Sadly, it was the beer that smelled of mildew with only a slight malt-like aroma.

Taste - This is an afront to God. How anyone could stomach this beer is beyond me. It tasted of that wet towel mildew smell with a little bit of construction paper...if I remember the taste correctly from my youth. A complete lack of hops.

Drinkability - Absolutely none.

06-01-2008 16:13:49 | More by MayorAdamWest
yen157

1.18/5  rDev -47.6%

There was head, but it looked like the foam that collects near the banks of a polluted river. The hops are barely there, along with a nasty retro-nasal aroma of crackers mashed up with old lettuce. There's also a little bit of malt and grain flavor at the end. Very clean, no aftertaste at all. In my opinion this is about as bad as a beer can get without having something wrong with it.

09-20-2002 06:35:53 | More by yen157
hardy008

1.18/5  rDev -47.6%

Appearance - Pale yellow beer with not much of a head or lace.
Smell - Corn and adjuncts.
Taste - Water, carbonation, and corn dominate. Also somewhat skunky.
Mouthfeel - high carbonation, not much quality. Mass produced.
Drinkability - poor. Somewhat better than Miller High Life or Light, but not much better.

02-16-2008 22:54:32 | More by hardy008
wcudwight

1.2/5  rDev -46.7%

This beer is curtousy of another BA who will remain nameless.
Sampled straight from the clear glass bottle.
I simply can't give anything that looks like piss a higher rating than 1 for appearance. The head, lace, ect... is irrelavant. This beer looks like urine!
This beer smells like the corn I use to catch trout on a hot summer day.
Taste is malty and sweet. More flavor than your typical macro lager, but that's not a good thing here. Very harsh sour apple aftertaste that lingers. I wish it would go away.
I must admit that Miller hit the carbonation head on with this beer. Nicely carbonated which gives it a crisp mouthfeel.
I strongly feel that if you want something this light in body and flavor...something refreshing...on a hot summer day...do the Christian thing, drink water.
Oh well, it's off to the drain with this one.
As a side note. This beer does pair well with microwavable Ore Ida Bagel Bites.

05-16-2007 03:21:45 | More by wcudwight
jcalabre

1.23/5  rDev -45.3%

The good news is that it was free at the golf tournament I played in today. The bad news is, well, it's MGD and it was in a can.
The flavor is more sour than bitter and it should be served ice cold so as not to inflame your taste buds. I guess if your goal is to find a cheap way to drink something that is labeled as 'beer', this one would qualify

10-07-2003 05:02:33 | More by jcalabre
Derranged

1.23/5  rDev -45.3%

A- Yellow, similar to urine if you are slightly dehydrated.

S- Skunk, adjuncts, typical macro smell

T- Like the smell, although its a bit bland, a little alcohol.

M- thin, watery

D- None.

Even way back when I knew nothing about good beer at all, I still couldn't stomach this beer. And that says a lot. Horrible stuff.

10-17-2010 23:34:54 | More by Derranged
Metallix6403

1.25/5  rDev -44.4%

12oz bottle, no freshness date on the bottle, poured in to a pint glass.

Appearance - Very pale yellow. A finger of white head with very little lace.

Smell - Very pungent. Difficult to say if it is skunked or if it is the beer. Hard to muster another whiff....Some sour fruit in there somewhere.

Taste - Pretty awful in my opinion. Corn or some type of grain. Not much in terms of hops.

Feel - A ton of carbonation that really bites all the way down...

Drinkability - Surprisingly easy to pound a few back.

Final Thoughts - Used to pound these back back in the early college days before I was enlighted in beer-dom. Used to HATE beer because of MGD. Decided to try it a few days ago and see if my opinion had changed...it didn't....

04-23-2010 00:20:34 | More by Metallix6403
jarmby1711

Australia

1.3/5  rDev -42.2%

An insipid pale yellow beer that with plentiful carbonation.
Smeels of stale beer , similar to a football club room on a Sundat morning after a big Saturday night.
This is hard to recognise as beer on tasting alone.There is a conglomeration of sweetness that is sugary ,carefully avoiding any hint of malt , , there isa cornish taste that comes with the bitterness.
None of the individual characters are very nice in isolation and thee is certainly no synergism when combined.
It is well carbonated and watery in the mouth , so perhaps could be refreshing , but is damnably basic .
The most pleasing aspect of reviewing this beer is the knowledge that one of the mass drunk beers in the USA is certainly no better and I would suggest worse than its Australian counterpart.
This is poor quality swill.
On present reckonings of the BMC I am a Bud man

08-31-2006 07:39:26 | More by jarmby1711
Reidrover

Oregon

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

I found this in the back of the fridge..my wife's best friend left it yesterday after she visited with us. 12 oz bottle.
Appearance is very bland indeed..bright yellow urine appearance small head.
This beer smells really bad..its hard to describe..its "terrible..maybe its skunked?
Taste is very dry..nothing special
feels prertty bad in the mouth and its not very drinkable..and to think Miller put this AHEAD of their much better product, High Life..strange world we live in!

02-09-2003 21:04:13 | More by Reidrover
ManekiNeko

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

24 oz. can served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Oooh pale yellow. Surprise. Minimal head and scant carbonation. The head collapses to a film after 1.5 seconds. No lacing.

Smell: Sweet cornlike aromas. Faint hints of honey (or some sort of sugary stuff). Faint all-around on the aroma. My boo compared this to "decomposing rat." (she lived in NYC for awhile and took the subway to work (this was before Giuliani)).

Taste: Ossly brackish. Bready malt with grassy aftertastes. Mild sulfury finish. Boo called this "ass." I didn't ask how she knew.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, substance, anything. Overly watery.

Drinkability: The only macro I felt like drain pouring. It's craptastic.

Other: My can had NASCAR stuff on it. Where's mah pork rinds, boy!

05-07-2004 15:18:38 | More by ManekiNeko
MMansfield

Nova Scotia (Canada)

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

I had a bottle at Bubbles Mansion in Halifax. I saw all the generic college guys swigging this shit from clear bottles and figured, hell... I like to try EVERYTHING at least once.

Appearance: Poured a golden straw colour with a medium bone white cap, quickly down to a lacey ring. Didn't look too bad at all.

Aroma: Good lord. Skunked to the max. Aroma of rancid corn, alcohol and vommit. This was horrid.

Taste: Only gets worse. Astringent alcohol, awful sour finish. Rotten vegetables, no hops.

Mouthfeel: Typical of the style.

Final Statement: I'm glad I tried it because I can now say with confidence, this is the worst beer I have ever had.

02-12-2007 01:52:21 | More by MMansfield
BeerTaster

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

poored pale yellow in color almost no head and no lacing at all. This is a bad beer no smell taste was awful with a funny aftertaste mouthfeel was thin with high carbonation. Whats up with the clear bottle brewers should know better. I dont think this beer used fresh hops tasted like hop extract.

02-23-2008 00:27:09 | More by BeerTaster
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.