Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 619 | Hads: 2,252

First had: ?

Do not want ever.

Poured a clear pee-pee color, with lots of carbonation, and a finger of bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of pee-pee and stale grains, Indian corn that's been hanging on the door too long. Tastes of skunk and more pee-pee, sickeningly sweet, with a rotten aftertaste. Yummy. (322 characters)

A-Pours a very pale straw yellow with nearly no head. One ring of lacing is left however, which is a surprise.

S-Honestly I'm not really picking up anything; a very slight generic beer smell is present but virtually no nose on this one.

T-My first thought was "Where is the beer?" Carbonated water, a splash of generic beer flavor and thats about it. This is as about as close to carbonated water as it gets in a non-light beer.

M-Thin and watery

D-Its easy drinking but frustrating since it does not really taste like beer.

I bought this because it was one of the first beers I liked when I first started drinking when I turned 21 and my birthday is approaching so I thought it would be good to retry it. Bad decision. This is one of the worst beers I have ever had. It has less taste than Miller Lite. Avoid this if all possible. (836 characters)

Picked up a can for 25 cents. Thought I should try it and at least learn how bad it really is for a quarter.

Fizzy yellow beer...yuck. This is worse than the last crappy macro...fizzy tart flavor. Smells like rice.

I wish I could get my quarter back. (254 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -57.3%

ok, the only reason I tried this one was because it was $1.50 a bottle at my job. WAY OVER PRICED, even on sale.the piss color it had was an indicator of what was to come. smelled liked sugar water, tastes like sugar water. this is the beer that made me a pursuer of fine beers. I would not drink this ever again nor would I allow a person I consider a friend to drink this abomination...but on the other hand thank you mgd for forcing me to pursue better tastes. (463 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -57.3%

Fizzy yellow color, small head. Chemical macro-beer aroma. EECH, this stuff reeks. Cornish flavor. Some malts, some hops and some flavor. Mass-market swill. Drank it cause it was free. Think I will drink a soda next time. Mouthfeel is thin and metallic. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is neutral. (304 characters)

serving type: bottle

a - it looks like urine

s - it smells like urine

t - it tastes like urine, or what I'd imagine urine tasting like

m - it feels like carbonated urine

d - sure it could be pretty easy to throw a bunch of these back, but why in God's name would you want to?

there are way better macros out there, don't settle for this garbage (350 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -57.3%

I've spent more time in the company of this beer than I'm comfortable with, but not by drinking it, no, through serving to the customers at my bar. Happily, it's the only macro-crap I've got on tap, but it's exceedingly popular among those masses that I haven't the time or power to change their minds. In the name of research, curiosity, or maybe sadomasochism I venture forth to review a small sampling of this wretched brew.
Color: very pale yellow,nearly invisible, the very match of urine. Head: tall, fluffy, pure snow white. Aroma: zilch, zero, zip. I flared my nosrtils deep to try to detect something or anything but came up bone-dry, with maybe a touch of soap and flowers.
Mouthfeel is a rough and harsh terrain, with a grainy sweetness to be traversed in every sip. A horrid brashness exists in every attempt to gulp and it leaves a non-existent finish, as if the offending liquid wished no memory to remain of it's brief stay in the mouth. It passes through quickly, leaving not a trace, but only bad memories. The perfect beer for those who don't give a damn what goes down their gullet. No hops are felt, no malt, no body, no texture.
That's when I got it. I'd gone about it all wrong! Every time I tried to taste this sad excuse for a beer, I winced and pulled away, embittered and beated aback, every time this swill passed through my lips. When I merely gulped back and stopped thinking, however, there was no problem, no sirree, bob!
I wonder how people drink this stuff, then I realize that they've been hoodwinked! Somehow, they've been convinced that this foul concoction is actual beer and the Miller Brewing Co. is happy to provide. Lord save us all... (1,681 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -56%

I don't know how this ended up in my fridge, but sadly, I'm out of good beer, but it's still really hot here and I'm really thirsty, so here we go ladies and gents... this really doesn't look inviting. Smell is pretty terrible... soaked cardboard that's been run over by a car. Maybe a few cars... with muddy tires. Yep this is pretty much the worst beer I've had. Granted I'm drinking it right after a Rogue Brutal Bitter, one of my favs, but this stuff sucks. I've been getting by this summer, consuming a lot of Labatt Blue and Genny Cream Ale with my macro drinking friends, but this is almost undoable. There's a gross burpy-puke taste to this beer. You know, when you're real full and you take a sip of beer and then burp... well this beer tastes like that burp. Yuk. I think the trick to this beer is leaving it in the bottle. Or funneling. (847 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -56%

For a "non-light" beer, this is truly as bad as it gets. The only reason it gets a 2 for appearance is because of the label. I know that's not technically appropriate but c'mon. There's an eagle. Eagles are dope. It's a good bird. "Coo coo, yeah yeah," what a good bird. (270 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -56%

Poured all head initially, but that gradually dissipated to a soap suds lopsided dollop of head. Straw yellow in color. Smell has both malt and I'd dare say vinegar. Luckily taste doesn't have vinegar, but then again taste doesn't have much of anything except water, a little corn, a hint of bitter. Frankly it's a forget about it beer, one you swig like a glass of water.

This was one of the first brands I tried when I hit drinking age and I got a six pack now just to retry after 20+ years. I can't believe I've got 5 more of these I have to use up. (553 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -54.4%

Absolutely the worse beer on the planet. If you like low alcohol, no taste beer, you are either an alcoholic, or a bum, and you probably love this stuff. If you are a REAl beer drinker, you know better than this. STAY AWAY! Definitely in the top 2-3 worst beers in the world, and I'm ashamed of being an American when I see people drink this. (342 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -52.3%

Out of money so I had to drink what I was laying around. Unfortunately, it was MGD. Pours to a fast dissipating head with a very urine colored appearance (well, I eat a lot of vitamins so my urine is much healthier in color than this beer....which might say something about this beer).

Definite skunky taste that lingers in the background. I guess that's what you get for using CLEAR BOTTLES!!! Tastes of stale grain with dry mouth feel and no hop profile. Very thin and water like. Why anyone would drink this (unless they were waiting for their next paycheck and were absolutely desperate) is beyond me.

~Jonathan Passow (624 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -51.9%

Back in the day (3 years ago) I had one friend over 21 that would buy me a 12 pack of beer and id sneak that 12 pack into my parents house and make it last a week, then after that week we'd go get another one. Well I was making my way down the line of all the Beers that I saw commercials for my entire life (thats all I knew at the time) and finally this one came.
Miller Genuine Draft.

This beer is awful. I was 18 - I'd drink Keystone all day, for all I cared. Id drink any beer I could get. Untill this one. I opened up this 12 pack chilled it and took a drink.
The look of this beer is its best feature (and thats not saying much).
It smelled exactly what it taste like- a skunky Busch Light that someone dropped a couple ounces of vegetable juice into. Honestly that is the only way I can describe this beer. Just awful. Do not buy. Do not try. Do not think about it. The only beer I have ever drank that gave me a instant headache. AWFUL. (951 characters)

1.16/5  rDev -51.9%

Sad to say it was the best offered at a wedding reception I attended recently. I haven't tried one of these in years... and it will be a cold day in hell when I try one again. Typical and not at all impressive in color. Tasted flat and bland... offensive. I couldn't really say what it tasted like... It wasn't malt and it wasn't hops. Paper? Dryer lint? I'm not sure, but it wasn't something that was actually meant to be consumed.

Stay away. Even as a pale lager it is offensive. Go grab a PBR and be happy if you want to drink something from this style.

EDIT:

I finally figured out just how I'd like to review this beer.

A - Fizzy yellow with a decent amount of head. This is the best thing it has going for it. Clean and clear...full of carbonation.

Smell - At first I had trouble figuring out if it was the beer or if the glass had been wet and laid upside down on a damp towel. Sadly, it was the beer that smelled of mildew with only a slight malt-like aroma.

Taste - This is an afront to God. How anyone could stomach this beer is beyond me. It tasted of that wet towel mildew smell with a little bit of construction paper...if I remember the taste correctly from my youth. A complete lack of hops.

Drinkability - Absolutely none. (1,244 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -51%

Wow, this beer just snowballs in a bad direction right from the start. The can is even a sickly yellow, big MDG on the label, with lots of faux condensation printed onto the can. Okay appearance for a macro, a little bit darker than straw, thin mottled head of foam that conks out, and even leaves a slight bit of lacing at first. For the smell I am having trouble getting through some sort of industrial/chemical aroma, but hiding behind that is grain husk and what I think is more rice adjunct than corn. The taste is truly repulsive, my god, this is worse than that A Marca Bavaria I had tried. Sharp chemical bite at first, rancid grains to follow, with the most horrible aftertaste I can remember encountering. I would gladly accept a Crazy Ed's Chili Beer to wash this down and kill this aftertaste. I'm craving a malt liquor after this, if only as a small step up in flavour. Can't even focus on the mouthfeel due to the taste. MGD, never again! This is the dregs of the dregs for any macros I've ever consumed so far. (1,025 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -51%

There was head, but it looked like the foam that collects near the banks of a polluted river. The hops are barely there, along with a nasty retro-nasal aroma of crackers mashed up with old lettuce. There's also a little bit of malt and grain flavor at the end. Very clean, no aftertaste at all. In my opinion this is about as bad as a beer can get without having something wrong with it. (387 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -50.2%

This beer is curtousy of another BA who will remain nameless.
Sampled straight from the clear glass bottle.
I simply can't give anything that looks like piss a higher rating than 1 for appearance. The head, lace, ect... is irrelavant. This beer looks like urine!
This beer smells like the corn I use to catch trout on a hot summer day.
Taste is malty and sweet. More flavor than your typical macro lager, but that's not a good thing here. Very harsh sour apple aftertaste that lingers. I wish it would go away.
I must admit that Miller hit the carbonation head on with this beer. Nicely carbonated which gives it a crisp mouthfeel.
I strongly feel that if you want something this light in body and flavor...something refreshing...on a hot summer day...do the Christian thing, drink water.
Oh well, it's off to the drain with this one.
As a side note. This beer does pair well with microwavable Ore Ida Bagel Bites. (922 characters)

1.2/5  rDev -50.2%

Appearance - Pale yellow beer with not much of a head or lace.
Smell - Corn and adjuncts.
Taste - Water, carbonation, and corn dominate. Also somewhat skunky.
Mouthfeel - high carbonation, not much quality. Mass produced.
Drinkability - poor. Somewhat better than Miller High Life or Light, but not much better. (312 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

The good news is that it was free at the golf tournament I played in today. The bad news is, well, it's MGD and it was in a can.
The flavor is more sour than bitter and it should be served ice cold so as not to inflame your taste buds. I guess if your goal is to find a cheap way to drink something that is labeled as 'beer', this one would qualify (349 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

A- Yellow, similar to urine if you are slightly dehydrated.

S- Skunk, adjuncts, typical macro smell

T- Like the smell, although its a bit bland, a little alcohol.

M- thin, watery

D- None.

Even way back when I knew nothing about good beer at all, I still couldn't stomach this beer. And that says a lot. Horrible stuff. (329 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

Imagine the average lager... now imagine if someone had ashed their cigarette into that lager. That's what you get with MGD. No visible head (unless you purposely shake the bottle), the colour of diseased urine, and the taste is of (and I can't stress it enough) cigarette ashes making Miller Genuine Draft one of the worst and most offensive tasting beers I've ever had.

Once in a while a friend of mine will offer me one. Only out of courtesy will I drink it, but usually give it away. Another beer whose fame came only by shoving propaganda down the throat of the blue-collared and telling them that this is what 'real men' drink. When my friends request that I pick this up from my local liquor store I flat refuse to buy this horrid mess of a beer. (760 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -47.7%

12oz bottle, no freshness date on the bottle, poured in to a pint glass.

Appearance - Very pale yellow. A finger of white head with very little lace.

Smell - Very pungent. Difficult to say if it is skunked or if it is the beer. Hard to muster another whiff....Some sour fruit in there somewhere.

Taste - Pretty awful in my opinion. Corn or some type of grain. Not much in terms of hops.

Feel - A ton of carbonation that really bites all the way down...

Drinkability - Surprisingly easy to pound a few back.

Final Thoughts - Used to pound these back back in the early college days before I was enlighted in beer-dom. Used to HATE beer because of MGD. Decided to try it a few days ago and see if my opinion had changed...it didn't.... (738 characters)

1.31/5  rDev -45.6%

I found this in the back of the fridge..my wife's best friend left it yesterday after she visited with us. 12 oz bottle.
Appearance is very bland indeed..bright yellow urine appearance small head.
This beer smells really bad..its hard to describe..its "terrible..maybe its skunked?
Taste is very dry..nothing special
feels prertty bad in the mouth and its not very drinkable..and to think Miller put this AHEAD of their much better product, High Life..strange world we live in! (481 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -45.2%

24 oz. can served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Oooh pale yellow. Surprise. Minimal head and scant carbonation. The head collapses to a film after 1.5 seconds. No lacing.

Smell: Sweet cornlike aromas. Faint hints of honey (or some sort of sugary stuff). Faint all-around on the aroma. My boo compared this to "decomposing rat." (she lived in NYC for awhile and took the subway to work (this was before Giuliani)).

Taste: Ossly brackish. Bready malt with grassy aftertastes. Mild sulfury finish. Boo called this "ass." I didn't ask how she knew.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, substance, anything. Overly watery.

Drinkability: The only macro I felt like drain pouring. It's craptastic.

Other: My can had NASCAR stuff on it. Where's mah pork rinds, boy! (771 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -44.8%

Bottle: Poured a golden yellow color lager with a small bubbly white head with limited retention. Aroma of sweet adjunct is dominating. Taste is also dominated by sweet corn with a watery aftertaste. No hops could be detected and body is quite thin. Nothing bad but just really plain and boring. (295 characters)

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.