1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 1,671 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
mfnmbvp

1.93/5  rDev -14.2%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of April 14, 2014 printed on the bottleneck. A friend gifted this bottle to me yesterday at a cookout so that I could finally review it on here and lay this one to rest. Another one of Miller's classic line-up beers. It's been a while since I've had this, but I'm not expecting much.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a thin watery pale straw yellow. Looks exactly the same in the glass as it did in the bottle. Two fingers of fluffy foamy bone white head. Lots of bubbles. Standard appearance. Some halfway decent head retention for what it is, and some nice scattered strands of fluffy lace.

S - Musty yeast and grainy / husky pilsner malts. Some dusty and dirty coiny metallics. Not very pleasant smelling.

T - Taste follows the nose - harsh grainy husky malts, musty east, wet paperboard, and a sharp nail polish remover alcohol bite, despite the low abv. Tastes of cheap adjuncts and chemically treated swill. Grainy & nail polish remover are the best words I have to describe this one.

M - Feel has the trademark Miller crispness to it. Light-bodied with okay carbonation. Easy drinking.

Overall, not my favorite offering from the bottom of the barrel adjunct lagers, but that didn't come as any surprise to me. Cheap, mildly offensive, but it would go well with some BBQ on hot day.

Miller Genuine Draft ---2/5.

03-17-2014 23:14:22 | More by mfnmbvp
samtrillo

1.79/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A - Nothing special. Golden piss.

S - Hmmm, smells like bad lager...

T - Yep, not good. But if I'm comparing, slightly better than other lame duck major lagers out there.

O - Nothing special or good here. If you need a cheap American lager pick Miler High life, actually. This, however is derivative at not really worth your time. You can find cheaper that you wont notice if it's worse or even better for that matter.

02-23-2014 05:25:17 | More by samtrillo
Warmonster

Missouri

3.29/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer gets a bad wrap from some people but really this is probably one of the best brews from miller that I know of.. People getting this and complaining seem like they don't even realize what theyre buying.. It isn't meant to be a craft beer at all.. It simply suppose to taste like a fresh draft beer.. that's it.. and to me it tastes BETTER than many drafts.. I will admit the taste can vary.. sometimes they taste better than others.. and tbh The PAST mgd seemed better than whats made now.. But maybe its my tastes changing, no idea. But it has a very cereal grainy smell to it.. stronger than any beer I can think of.. everytime I smell it I think "cereal". it has a lot of carbonation and in my opinion, a decent taste. When I buy beer this is basically the cheapest beer I will ever buy, and it sure does the trick for what It is.. The only complaint I might have is I can drink ALOT of them.. seems like an 18 pack of these doesn't last long.. black crown is the same way... something about them makes u wanna drink em fast...

02-21-2014 00:07:36 | More by Warmonster
bullwinkle88

Isle of Man

3.15/5  rDev +40%

So the gimmick of this beer is that it isn't pasteurized. I can't think of too many macro beers that aren't (I know Coors Banquet used to be unpasteurized but I don't know if this is still the case). Miller seems to maintain that something is lost during this pasteurization process that makes it markedly different from a draft beer. Kegs are not pasteurized, hence the Genuine Draft title. It is, essentially, an attempt at draft-version of Miller High Life.

Semantics aside, what we have here is a solid all-around swill. This is better than Bud and Coors' full flavored offerings. Obviously you know right away whether or not this beer is worth your time. I like this sort of thing, this is a classic beer. By classic I mean "typical example" and not "enduring work of excellence". This is the kind of beer my dad and uncles remember chugging after a baseball game or what have you. Its not reinventing the wheel. Miller set out to make a bottled beer with draft taste and on that level, they succeeded. This is not a bad beer, much better than Lite and as good as High Life. As I have stated, it tastes like a draft version of High Life. Whether or not you find that appealing is up to you.

The beer looks great. Frothy, foamy head that retains, and is superior in appearance to any macrobrew I have ever seen, and better than many craft beers. Taste is classic miller, corny, complete absence of hops. Taste is comparable to High Life but the mouthfeel is markedly inferior to that beer, as it does not have the same "champagne" like carbonation.

I liked this beer and its one I will start buying more often as the days turn warmer and thoughts turn to that of baseball games and barbeques.

02-17-2014 02:58:40 | More by bullwinkle88
spokes100

2.73/5  rDev +21.3%

Hard to tell why I drink this. Has no outstanding characteristics. First off it comes in a clear glass bottle, not good for shelf life. Second it's appearance looks like p***, you know. Smells like medicine. Taste, what taste. Mouthfeel like water.

But when you come in from 3 hours on the John Deere it certainly doesn't taste like water. Goes down easily, after a couple a three before dinner even "she who must obeyed" cooking seems like gourmet!

Quenches the thirst nicely. I always keep some in the fridge. Never drink water when you can drink beer!

01-31-2014 01:19:58 | More by spokes100
The-Jolly-Imbiber

Antarctica

2.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a non-beer glass.

Poured gold-yellow, with a huge head (3 fingers plus), but I think that's because the bottle was shaken/moved a bit before I got it. Colour looks like a light apple juice. Lots of bubbles flying up the glass. Head settled in a couple minutes to some random foam and lacing, very uneven.

Scent was a sort of bready aroma, a little reminiscent of Italian food (tomato sauces, etc.).

Flavour: Quite light. In fact, almost tastes like apple juice. That cherry-like flavour is present, as expected from an American Adjunct Lager. Not my preference as far as beer flavours go.

Moderate carbonation, which I like.

Overall, no surprises here, but this is not a beer style I like. I suppose I would choose this over Budweiser, though, if that's all the choice I had.

01-01-2014 04:48:43 | More by The-Jolly-Imbiber
Alexnzx

Ireland

3.85/5  rDev +71.1%

The best word to describe it is refreshing. It is not the best tasting beer in the world, thats for sure, but after a long day of work, it is great to kick back and have a few of these.

Doesn't deserve the scrutiny it seems to be getting. I would defenitely advise someone who is thirsty to pick up a few bottles of this.

12-23-2013 04:50:56 | More by Alexnzx
ThomasMetal75

3.16/5  rDev +40.4%

* Reviewed along with Ronald Theriot, aka Louisiana Beer Reviews on Youtube, in a Google+ chat.*

A- Looked alright in the glass for an adjunct lager. I used my etched Miller Lite shaker, and it was well carbonated, and had a soapy head that actually did stick around. Lacing at bottom of glass is there.

S- Sweet, grainy, wet cardboard, corn husks, slight hop spice. Tad malty now that I think of it. No cooked veggie smell here.

T- Slightly creamy head. Clean water taste, sweet, with a wet grainy, corn husk type taste. Not that I've tried wet paper, but I'd guess similar to that in graininess. Nothing wow or bad. Not overly adjunct in taste, but it is there.

M- Light, watery, crisp, clean, and refreshing. Slight grainy bitter type finish is the only downfall. Dry overall.

*Overall, this is an average beer. For adjunct lagers, it not half bad! It does have a draft type creamy feel, but it is just your standard American lager. But I was pleasantly supprised to see how the lacing stuck around at the bottom of the glass. I wouldn't ever pass up an MGD, although, I'd just not go out of my way to buy some.

12-08-2013 16:06:58 | More by ThomasMetal75
kgammell1

Maryland

2.54/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: It looks like a cheap beer. Very little head, thin lacing down the side of the bottle and a piss yellow color.

Smell: Smelled almost like a Corona, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, but it was almost soapy in smell and a little watered down.

Taste: Not that bad. Not that good either. It was clean tasting, non-offensive but pretty bland. I had a few in the afternoon relaxing and it was great in that environment when I was something cheap, wet and alchoholic. Like a bad Corona. But not really.

Mouthfeel: Felt like a soda, very bubbly and acidic.

Overall: 2.5/5 because I drank three and was happy, thirst was quenched and my wallet remained full and my pride didn't allow me to resort to anything worse than this.

11-22-2013 01:00:35 | More by kgammell1
ckollias

Maryland

2.7/5  rDev +20%

Enjoyed this bottle of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a golden straw hue with a thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving a thin lace and partial trail.

S: Slightly skunky grains and hops.

T: Similar to the aroma there is a skunky flavor mixed with some grains and hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Actually not as bad as I though – better than bud light.

09-03-2013 15:10:47 | More by ckollias
martegenere

3.93/5  rDev +74.7%

I do not understand the reason why many people do not like Miller Genuine Drafft. I love this beer.

I like the taste and how it smell, maybe because this is the kind of beer that you can drink when you want to refresh yourself. Is very good to drink in hot temperatures and when people is tired, relaxing , etc

08-25-2013 08:22:16 | More by martegenere
righlander

3.6/5  rDev +60%

looks and smells like a macro.
taste is a bit more dry than usual.
a bit of cereal grains and very smooth.
finishes dry leaving nothing to remember.
mouthfeel is a bit more heavy with some smaller than normal bubbled carbonation.

good, slammable, non offensive brew, as macros go.

a very well done adjunct lager.
great on a hot summer day

08-12-2013 04:06:17 | More by righlander
WeizenMike

Ontario (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Not particularly offensive, it has no flavours that taste particularly bad; but it tastes like nothing. Reminded me of Perrier. A beer I would drink again at a party or somewhere that I want to get drunk cause it goes down smooth like the water it tastes like, but nothing I would ever purchase.

08-06-2013 07:04:06 | More by WeizenMike
Damian

1.64/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355ml bottle purchased at Contan Discount Liquors, Somerville, MA
Jun1713
Served in a pint glass

Surprisingly impressive appearance. The liquid poured a crystal clear, pale straw yellow color and was topped by an inch tall, bubbly, foamy, bright white head. Excellent retention. The head slowly faded to a thin film and deposited thick, drippy blankets of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was incredibly subtle. Some dry, powdery, lager yeast notes were detectible. Faint grains. Touch of skunkiness. Very adjunct ridden and watered down.

Like the aroma, the flavor profile was exceedingly nondescript. Somewhat grainy with adjunct notes. Slightly chemical-like. Bitter-ish finish. Super watery.

The mouthfeel was very light and over carbonated. Prickly, bubbly and rather distracting. Then again, maybe distracting is a good thing here.

Of all the American macro lagers I have tried, Miller Genuine Draft was one of the lightest on flavor, aroma and mouthfeel. This is truly carbonated water disguised as beer.

07-23-2013 15:59:54 | More by Damian
gtp537

Wisconsin

2.89/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A guilty pleasure. Sometimes You just need a light heavy beer, and this one fits the bill nicely. Pours a dark golden color. A solid head that condensed quickly. It drinks easily, and is quite carbonated. The taste dissipated quickly. Quite refreshing.

06-25-2013 00:25:57 | More by gtp537
Haydn-Juby

Quebec (Canada)

2.26/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Served from a 341ml bottle.

A: Very clear pale straw color topped with a one finger head the dissipated quickly and left very little lacing.

S: Not much on the aroma. Perhaps a touch of grain and skunk, but otherwise pretty much scentless.

T: Very watery. The only things made really apparent on the palate are a displeasing graininess and a bit of skunk as well, most likely due to the clear bottle. Just very watery overall.

M:Fairly thin and very fizzy. Generic BMC feel really.

O: Not much to say about this beer other than its not that great. Used to drink it all the time but I can't see how I could stand it. I only drank half a glass and then gave it away to my dad.

06-03-2013 21:21:12 | More by Haydn-Juby
Olek4374

Alberta (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

MGD is generally percieved as one of the more luxurious adjunct lagers up here in Canada, as people buy it by the case like crazy. I will say it's better than some of the local swill, but at the end of the day it tastes very plain and uninspiring. I'd hate to sample the light version, which thankfully is very hard to come by here.

The taste is very clean and not terribly corny, and surprisingly is not skunky despite being served in a clear bottle.

I can't see myself buying this again since it is more expensive than the usual Kokanee or Canadian, but it's fine for the style.

06-01-2013 02:26:40 | More by Olek4374
Mervin

2.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Served in a 12 oz bottle.
Appearance is a light golden color. No cloudiness or murkiness to it. Barely has any aroma to it, what is there seems to be a slightly sour, maybe some sort of grain smell?
Taste is actually rather decent. Not anything I would drink over and over, but it is crisp and light, and doesn't leave a lingering flavor on the tongue.
Overall a refreshing cheap light beer, drank this while watching a hockey game, and it was really the perfect thing to sip on during the game.

05-05-2013 21:07:49 | More by Mervin
StonedTrippin

Colorado

2.31/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

was this beer always this bad? I feel like when I was a kid and I went fishing with my dad and he would give me a can of this stuff, it had some appeal. some sort of honest outdoorsy quality. well, its completely gone. maybe I grew up, maybe they changed the recipe, who knows, but this stuff isn't even fit to batter the fish we used to catch with. the color is closer to mountain dew than a lager, is there honestly yellow 5 in this?! it smells like a corny adjunct, but it tastes more chemical than that. almost with an antifreeze sort of potency to it, its daunting. at least coors light and its peers still taste like beer to some degree, this taste like preservatives and artificial sweeteners. I can imagine how bad the 64 is, because its parent beer is a shocker. feel isn't that bad, a little thicker than it should be, but the carbonation is fine. overall this is something to avoid. it would chose it over some of the basement dwellers and budlight on principle, but this is really disgusting. the clear bottles do it no favors either.

03-23-2013 16:13:49 | More by StonedTrippin
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer one time during the summer of 2012 and thought it was an ok to slightly decent beer. It is not a beer that i would have all of the time, but I would probably recommend it to another to try it. The taste was distinct and was very smooth and different from Miller High Life. The process of making a draft beer gives this beer a different characteristic.

02-22-2013 01:35:27 | More by RyanLaCount03
CharlyNovember

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +84.4%

Whenever I feel like writing a review, I usually find myself reviewing a big name macro. I think this is because many of them get a really bum rap, and usually, in my opinion at least, solely in the name of beer snobbery. Don't get me wrong, I love craft brews and it's a large percentage of what I drink, but there are many a-time when I just feel like sluggin' a beer. So, sorry, there are really good macros, and macro lagers most definitely have a time and a place.

There really is nothing remarkable about Miller's smell, appearance, and feel. Looks like a pale lager, smells like a macro lager (you know, that real beery smell), and has less-than-over-the-top fizzy carbonation.

Anyhow, Miller has become a primary go-to brew for me and it's the taste that sets it apart from it's rival macros. It's like bread and butter. And my god, is it smooth (and please excuse my use of that word). It's my most drinkable beer, and mighty fine if you're having more than a few too. There's absolutely nothing off-putting about this beer, in fact it is delicious.

I'm real hard pressed to find a reason why this beer is so hated... other than beer snobbery. Maybe this beer is different in the States, but I doubt it since it is imported, not out-sourced brewed, up to Canada. Take it from me, this beer is good. There may not be anything to be learned about beer when drinking this, but hey, isn't that kind of the point sometimes?

01-16-2013 03:40:05 | More by CharlyNovember
thegodfather2701

A-Pours a very pale straw yellow with nearly no head. One ring of lacing is left however, which is a surprise.

S-Honestly I'm not really picking up anything; a very slight generic beer smell is present but virtually no nose on this one.

T-My first thought was "Where is the beer?" Carbonated water, a splash of generic beer flavor and thats about it. This is as about as close to carbonated water as it gets in a non-light beer.

M-Thin and watery

D-Its easy drinking but frustrating since it does not really taste like beer.

I bought this because it was one of the first beers I liked when I first started drinking when I turned 21 and my birthday is approaching so I thought it would be good to retry it. Bad decision. This is one of the worst beers I have ever had. It has less taste than Miller Lite. Avoid this if all possible.

01-05-2013 22:56:44 | More by thegodfather2701
kylehay2004

2.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Single finger white frothy head with nice lacing on a state to bright golden clear body. Aroma is pretty bad with mostly pale malts/barley and musty wet sock hops. A lot of malt in the flavor with mild bitterness from the hops and little in the way of sweetness. Light to medium body but still fairly oily coating the palate and moderate carbonation. I think miller is the worst of the big three for flavors and drinkability. This one reinforces that belief.

12-17-2012 01:32:34 | More by kylehay2004
EagleTalon

Arkansas

2.6/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours out to a sudsy white head that falls to a permanent 3mm head, significant lacing and pale yellow-gold color. Aroma is sweet, grainy, grassy and slightly skunky. Flavor is a weak mixture of sweet, grainy, corny, and slight tinge of over processed hops. Mouthfeel is light, carbonation generous and rather watery. On the balance, this is a marginally decent adjunct lager and reminds me a bit of Corona.

12-15-2012 05:22:56 | More by EagleTalon
scherzox

3.2/5  rDev +42.2%

I read somewhere once that MGD is made from the same recipe as High Life except that it's cold filtered. I begin to notice the resemblance when I keep that in mind while drinking MGD. It's pretty fizzy, much like High Life but not to the "champagne" level. The flavor is very close too, except something is a little off because of the different brewing method.

When I was a wee lad, MGD was my go to beer simply because it was easy to order in bars/clubs and was decently strong. I've moved on (in my own way), but occasionally I get a taste for this. I also made many micheladas with this back in the day too. It's really good for that.

This wasn't meant to be a review from a beer aficionado. Just a guy who likes to get tipsy.

09-15-2012 23:37:20 | More by scherzox
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.