2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 1,673 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
samparkique4

United Kingdom (England)

2.61/5  rDev +16%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.75 max
-0.4 significantly order stastistically
malty barlish
smooth crisp and wellcarbonated
husky mid bodied
pale golden
Man sitting next to me laughing over the grammar on TV ...
grainy lite toasty
great for thirtsty quenching
so-grainy
toasted grain bready cereal
hops are used and can be tasted yet dull in taste and palate | smell husky and lite

01-30-2014 16:54:27 | More by samparkique4
JJKBeerLvr

1.88/5  rDev -16.4%

Served September 2013 from keg into pint glass

Appearance: Light gold, with thin head that did not last long. It looks better than it tastes.

Smell: Very mild aromas. I get some sweet-malt aromas, but overall not much.

Taste: Very light body. Not a lot of hops nor malt taste.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but smooth smooth.

Overall: Ok American pilsner. I prefer this to the other mass produced pilsners like Bud or Pabst. Would not buy a case, but will drink it if only American pilsners are available.

09-23-2013 19:26:05 | More by JJKBeerLvr
Florida9

2.75/5  rDev +22.2%

On tap at the AH Americsn Legion # 208. Served in a plastic cup. Light yellow color. Clear. Forms a bubbly white head that quickly reduces to a patchy surface coating. Smells of grain and corn. Taste is more of the same: sweet, corny, and grainy with just hint of toasty bitterness. Light bodied with a "mealy" mouthfeel Heavy carbonation. Overall a standard shitty American brew.

07-07-2012 21:35:44 | More by Florida9
Eramen

Ireland

2.08/5  rDev -7.6%

A - A sleek yellow, golden in appearance, almost resembling a corn colouring in this department. Minimal head which is gone before one has even started.

S - Strong grain odour, metallic and faint white rice.

T - Bread, grains, and also a twist of corn.

MF - Far too light, watery, it goes down just like grainy water.

O - Poor, yet has some perks. I cannot understand why this is so popular, maybe it is simply the availability? Who knows? A last resort beer.

07-07-2011 23:48:36 | More by Eramen
Rifugium

First had: ?

Do not want ever.

Poured a clear pee-pee color, with lots of carbonation, and a finger of bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of pee-pee and stale grains, Indian corn that's been hanging on the door too long. Tastes of skunk and more pee-pee, sickeningly sweet, with a rotten aftertaste. Yummy.

05-22-2011 02:44:07 | More by Rifugium
GoldenVIKE

2.3/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was forced to drink this at a baseball game recently because US Cellular field apparently doesn't want to offer anything other than crappy beers!

I have to admit that this is better than I thought it'd be though. It's a better option than most other American lagers. My review scores are comparing this to GOOD beers, but I'd still happily drink this at baseball games if my only other options are the Buds, Millers and Old Styles of the world.

A-Golden (as in the shower, not the element)
S-smells like dirty socks filled with corn
T-not too bad--corn & grain, but good flavor--no hint of hops though.
M-very carbonated, otherwise light/watery texture.
O-refreshing. this carbonated water has hints of corn and beer.

05-10-2011 02:08:01 | More by GoldenVIKE
hiku7

2.48/5  rDev +10.2%

I used to drink so much MGD in high school that I got a gut that my friends nicknamed "baby Miller." Haven't had much, if any, of it since.

I was at a minor league baseball game last night and thought I'd give it a try as my second beer of the evening.

The concession stand poured it into a 16oz clear plastic miller lite cup. Poured with a very creamy snow white head that had serious staying power. The color was extremely pale straw. The beer was heavily carbonated, bubbling like champagne.

I couldn't smell much of anything coming from the beer for at least a half hour. Eventually, a sweet adjunct corn-like smell came through. Not much else.

This has a very thin taste, and seemed watery to me, which surprised me considering as a kid I saw this beer as the more full bodied beer in Miller's main lineup (Miller Lite and High Life being the others). The beer was very sweet and sugary with a hint of some kind of malt and a barely noticeable noble hop finish.

Mouthfeel was light and creamy, but thinner than I remembered.

Overall, there was nothing particularly wrong with the beer, but there was also not anything right about it. I actually had trouble finishing it because I just lost interest. I can now bury that part of my youth and move on.

04-24-2011 15:49:11 | More by hiku7
WoodBrew

2.42/5  rDev +7.6%

It was bowling night last Saturday....and yes....unfortunately the bowling alley in the small town I live in has a dismal selection. But when you bowling with friends...pitchers of MGD is not that bad. The appearance of MGD is fine...its a clear golden with good carbonation and head. The smell...what smell. The taste is well....beer. Certainly can call this a lawn mower beer for several obvious reasons. Enjoy and stay thirsty my friends!

04-12-2011 00:11:02 | More by WoodBrew
pumptrick

2.4/5  rDev +6.7%

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. I rated this high in drinkability because I think you can drink your own weight of this stuff.

01-28-2011 22:42:25 | More by pumptrick
kwjd

Ontario (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev +21.3%

Was at a place with a line-up of macros for lunch and I realized I haven't had an MGD in years. May as well give it a shot. Having it on tap avoids issus of the beer being skunky at least.

Pours a golden yellow colour with a finger of white foamy head. No lacing, but head retention was pretty good. Smells quite grainy with a hint of grassy hops. Flavour is incredibly clean, I'm surprised I'm enjoying this when I fully expected to hate it. Enjoying doesn't mean it is good, but it isn't awful either. Much smoother mouthfeel than many macro lagers. I would take this over Canadian, Blue, etc.

01-14-2011 19:05:27 | More by kwjd
kjyost

Manitoba (Canada)

2.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Purchased draft in a frosted mug at Boston Pizza. I had had one too many expensive Sam Adams at this point.

A: Straw yellow, clear and surprisingly nice lacing
S: Corn, vegetal & light spiciness (perhaps from hops?). Nothing special here, not real malt on the nose
T: Just like these lagers claim they should be when ice cold. The beer was crisp & clean without any major flavour protruding (how is this a positive feature?) with some light corn & sweetness poking through.
M: Strong carbonation that is prickly, and detracts from its flavours (although some may view this positively)
D: Enjoyable, yet strong vegetal flavours & aromas take away form my ability & desire to have another, even after drinking a few...

10-08-2010 04:59:37 | More by kjyost
Erish

2.7/5  rDev +20%

I got this beer on tap at U.S. Cellular Field. Go White Sox!

*As an additional note, after reading many of the truly negative reviews for this beer, I have to wonder if there is a "skunk" factor popping up because of the clear glass bottles? This beer is not horrible on tap. Really. No, really.

A: pale yellow, creamy white head is actually pretty decent and lasts for more than a few minutes.

S: cooked corn, a medicinal note, and not much else.

T: if I am rating to style, I have to say this beer is pretty average. American Adjunct Lagers are supposed to taste this way, remember? There is cooked corn and rice flavor, and the foam from the head has a corn-like and metallic/medicinal taste, and there is almost zero aftertaste and zero hop bitterness.

M: light in body with ample carbonation; true to style.

D: this is a summertime party guzzler or lawnmower beer, and nothing else. The exclusion of taste has worked pretty well for the macro brews, you have to admit!

08-12-2010 23:01:18 | More by Erish
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.63/5  rDev +16.9%

You spend a week at the beach you get to enjoy lots of the yellow fizzy stuff, lol. Draft lines were a plenty, but choices not so much. This one was served cold and poured into a pint glass, consumed on 08/08/2010.

The classic bright yellow, hay colored pour that one would expect from the style. Big head of white caps my glass (which of course had to be frozen). Settling down quickly it leaves behind next to nothing and lots of carbonation could be seen streaming up toward the top of the glass. Aroma is light, hay, wet hay, with touches of corn, light malted grains and a hint of light hops, but they soon faded as well. Crisp, clean, and quite refreshing when drank cold, but please don't let this one warm up as all its flaws do indeed come out quickly. Very light body and clean finish left no taste on the tongue at all.

Overall not a horrible beer by any means, but the lack of flavor put up against some of the others I had this week just makes it pale. Still on a 100 degree day, they can go down like water.

08-12-2010 00:09:35 | More by mikesgroove
plaid75

2.4/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured a light straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and good lacing.

The smell featured sweet corn and an otherwise grainy malt.

The taste was laden with sweet corn, tempered slightly by a flowery hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

Overall not at par with High Life. Way too much corn.

06-03-2010 22:10:50 | More by plaid75
teovaldi

2.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours an exceptionally light yellow with a very small head and zero lacing.

The smell is a very slight corn malt.

A lot like the nose but finishes with a metallic aftertaste.

Very light bodied with medium high carbonation.

Eh...not really one to seek out and get.

03-26-2010 15:25:30 | More by teovaldi
chetripley

3.23/5  rDev +43.6%

Someone please tell me why beer tastes so much better when it is: a. free, b. on tap, c. served in huge heavy plastic cups?

This was my "drink beer all day" choice a long time ago and now that I much prefer an ale or a Weiss beer I did not know what to expect. But those good memories I associated with it came back to me quickly. Its appearance, the golden bubbly color with a 1 inch head that dissipates quickly is a little off-putting, but allows me to drink a mouthful or two before walking out of the beer tent with its uneven grass covered ground and mud everywhere. Besides the barley smell there is very little aroma present, and the flavor doesn't exhibit anything spectacular, but it is still a drinkable beer that is consistent after all this time, and is no less refreshing than it once was.

08-10-2009 05:05:22 | More by chetripley
Thorpe429

1.43/5  rDev -36.4%

A: Straw colored with a white head. Okay lacing.

S: Lots of cereals and adjuncts. Some nuttiness.

T: Slightly sweet and nutty, but not in a good way. The faint nuttiness is like really old peanut butter with barely any of the sugar.

M: Light-to-medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Strange aftertaste.

D: One of the worse macros. Would be one of my last choices even if being used back in college for a drinking game.

05-02-2009 16:29:05 | More by Thorpe429
dalion037

2.2/5  rDev -2.2%

I'm not one to review too many beers especially if eveyone knows it sucks but I was at a party today and this is what they had to offer (I had my private stash so I was ok).

This beer is actually not a horrible beer just very light in flavor. If you are not a beer drinker (then you are probably not reading this since you don't go on BA), this is a good mild beer you might enjoy until your taste buds actually want to taste something.

Okay cheap beer to put into a beer bong. (At least it was 20 years ago when I last bonged a beer.)

01-20-2009 04:23:59 | More by dalion037
youngleo

2.1/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured to a half inch head that didnt last long. Left a little lacing. Beer was a very light yellow and very clear. Not much going on in the bubble area. Very faint smell. More of corny smell. Again not much smell. Tasted light also. Not much of a flavor. Did have a slightly sweet aftertaste. Almost tasted like it was watered down. Felt like water in the mouth. Very thin. I buy this every now and then. Makes a good lawnmower beer. Serve ice cold.

01-17-2009 21:23:45 | More by youngleo
NOOGIE

Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev +60%

Look: Poured 22 oz cup from US Cellular Field. Bright golden color, great pour by vendor, no foam at all! Good carbonation.

Smell: Lots of grains, wheat and corn, malts and hops.

Taste: Good clean malty feel. Really smooth, very fresh, and lots of grains and hops.

Mouthfeel: Very thin, almost nothing left in your mouth after you finished.

Drink: Very good and easy. Overall good job MGD, much better than the way it tasted.

08-16-2008 03:42:53 | More by NOOGIE
sofingraw

Hawaii

3.53/5  rDev +56.9%

I dig it. Far better than Budweiser in my opinion, and a much tastier beer to have at a party than some crappy light beer like Miller, Bud, or Coors Light, but just as drinkable as one of those. It's not a great beer, but it isn't bad, especially considering it's status as a macro. I'll drink a bunch of em'.

08-05-2008 12:17:05 | More by sofingraw
lordsellers04

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

firth off let me just say i like no miller products.

a) in my own opinion i believe miller to taste like urine water with bubbles.

b) its the most watered down beer ive ever had.

C) the taste isnt so great and i dont really get drunk of miller . which leads me to ask myself as well as others " whats the point in drinking this beer?"

makes me pee all night long, only miller anybody know why?

but ok seriously though on a personal note can somebody tell me why miller products are soo popular?

ok i understand that

A) not so high priced

B) doesnt get you drunk quickly

but what makes this beer so popular?

05-06-2008 05:38:10 | More by lordsellers04
tapman

2.08/5  rDev -7.6%

Someone bought it for me at a bar, what am I gonna do...say no to a free beer?

Pours like water with a flimsy imitation of a head. Color of straw and dead grass. gets an extra .5 because the bubbles look cool. I'm being nice, here.

Smells like a pilsner, which is perhaps the high point of this beer. A very light pilsner, but better than the rest. I can actually tell by smell that it is a beer so a +1 for you MGD.

Tastes like a crappy pilsner, but at least it tastes like some kind of beer. Beats the crap out of "Beechwood aged" beer (WTF?).

Sprite has a thicker texture than this offering.

I'm proving that I am above beer slander and I'll give this beer a 3 for drinkability since I do believe it tastes better than the rest (Buds, Coors, malted liquors, etc.) It does resemble a pilsner and I've had supposedly "good" pilsners that reminded me of this beer, so come game day, you know what I'm buying for my friends.

04-12-2007 16:27:29 | More by tapman
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

4.28/5  rDev +90.2%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws.

01-02-2007 18:09:40 | More by JudgeRoughneck
a10t2

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours with a thin, bright white head that dissipates quickly but leaves a surprising amount of lacing.

S: Barely there, mostly smells of grain with a chemical note that's none too pleasant.

T: Not bad as far as macros go, but still watery and uncomplicated. There's some astringency in the back of the throat that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste and makes me wonder if there's some sort of chemical substitute for hops involved.

M: Overly carbonated as far as my tastes go. There's a little bit of a bite that's probably mostly carbonation. Maybe even a little contribution from the alcohol?

D: Definitely able to be (and, realistically, intended to be) consumed in quantity. Overall very pleasant, especially compared to most other macros.

MGD is probably my favorite readily-available macro. Unlike the rest, I can actually drink it at a reasonable temperature without having too much unpleasantness jump out in the taste. This is what I keep on hand for my light beer-drinking friends.

09-06-2006 22:53:12 | More by a10t2
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.