Follow our progress ...

Miller Genuine Draft | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Reviews: 639 | Ratings: 2,379
2.67/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Beer #9 in my quest for the great American lager. Poured from a 473 ml. can

It surprisingly poured a soapy, sudsy, sticky white 2 finger head of foam that lingered throughout my session; the usual urine/straw/golden-yellow. It was very crystal clear. Some bubbles, but not too many. Had a grain, corn, and clean water smell. No hops.

Went in quite smooth and malty sweet (most likely from the corn); the backbone was grainy/sweet/malty/bready, with a touch of dryness in the aftertaste. It was sweeter than I remember...maybe it's the corn syrup. It was watery and somewhat crisp, but I'd like it to be crisper. Overall, it was pretty smooth and clean. I liked that aspect.
Overall, not a terrible AAL; would I buy it again? When in the mood. I still prefer Miller High Life over MGD. I think High Life is drier, IMO. But, not a bad beer. I'll revisit again. My quest continues...

2.99/5  rDev +26.7%

This is virtually indistinguishable from High Life other than it lacks the charming and timeless High Life bottles and is more expensive for some reason. Otherwise it is very similar. Same golden, yellow and very very carbonated and frothy look, same sweet malty smell, similar corn-flavored soda taste, and same bubbly feel. Overall I'd take High Life over this out of nostalgia and pricing, and frankly side to side High Life might even taste slightly more enjoyable, but this is still very solid for a cheap AAL. I don't care if this isn't a cool beer, I'd still take it over a PBR or something like that.

2.8/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

12 Fl bottle condition - locally priced 6 pack $7.50 (over priced)

Since this a miller high life clone that had slightly more carbonation added there is a lot of similarities in the flavour and smell of MHL, it's when you actually notice the difference in its finish is when this beer becomes undesirable - sad considering that was its entire purpose.

Pours a average lager yellow with tons of head leaving a consistent lacing throughout the drink. The smell has notes of corn and cereal similar to its brother. Tastes like a Highlife with a bit less malt and a ton of c02, it's not bad, but when I can get Hl for $5.00 and not have to burp constantly, I think I'll pass on this one.

1.88/5  rDev -20.3%

Use to get this whilst serving in Germany we had it in the NAAFI dirt cheap. Really Watery, nasty off smell to it, cheap larger with a malty taste, nice and fresh feel but that is as good as it got, after 3 little Bottles of these I'd feel ill. Would not recommend to anybody.

3.6/5  rDev +52.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A step up as well as a step ahead of the usual Miller.

Not a big leap, ice cold I can barely tell this apart from High Life, but there differences. Genuine Draft is just a bit richer, bolder, a little more overall and worth seeking out for that reason.

Recommend even if you have to stop at a second store.

3.75/5  rDev +58.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Yes this is a cereal and grain watery type beer, but it does go down easy. I actually think it is a pretty good beer. Moderately bubbly, okay lacing, tastes of cereal and water. For some reason I actually really like this beer if I want to drink a good amount of beer.

1.75/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

From Carrefour. In Teku glass. After dinner. At the level of the cheapest supermarket brand label adjunt lager. Doesnt deserve more than 0.3€, and suprisingly its much more expensive

2.14/5  rDev -9.3%

This is my wifes favourite beer. Yeah, it's hard for me to accept as well.
From a bottle:

L(2): Light, yellow golden color.
S(1.75):Bland, slight smell of hops and grains. Neither comparable to a craft brew.
T(2.5):Relatively tasteless, relatively sweet and slightly hoppy, but smooth if you're in the mood to get drunk.
Feel(2): slightly over-carbonated, but slightly refreshing and a slight bitter finish
Overall(2):For the price of this beer, you're better off spending a few extra dollars and going for craft. However if you're in the mood to get drunk at a party it's a good option. Overall I rate this 2/5. Better than some beers of this style but leaves little to be desired. I wish my wife would switch to a better beer. (lol)

2.22/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Yellow, darker pour, 1/5" white head, little retention. Not barley, but corn like impressions aroma wise, not the best.

Taste gave more corn, a gripload of carbonation, a lot of malt liquor comparisons here. Clear bottle don't do it no favors either. Just something that is very low down on the preference list, despite having drank quite a bit of these.

1.62/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Had from a bottle.

L: Clear light golden. Thin white head... fizzes up and fizzes right down.

S: Cooked veggies..light grains.

T/F: Taste is bland... light grains, cooked corn, the barest whisp of something that may have once been hops towards the finish. The biggest plus on this is that it's smooth and crisp if served ice cold (cold counts as a flavor for this beer... it hasn't got much else going for it). The biggest negative... is the aftertaste. Not sure of what it is. Not sure I want to find out.. it tastes like a nursing home.

O: Not a beer I would ever seek out. Under any circumstances. When your 90 year old grandpop asks if you want to have a beer with him, and this is what he's got... you smile and have a MGD. Not many other situations will suffice.

Used to drink this shit in high school for some reason. I literally never care if I ever have one of these again. In fact I've not seen this beer in probably 10 years, maybe it's been discontinued in my parts

1.68/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bland and tasteless pale lager, very pale golden in color, skimpy head, slightly skunky odor. Taste is watery, nothing worth drinking here. Really, who buys this stuff?

3.65/5  rDev +54.7%

Pours out a clear golden color with a foamy sudsy white head that quickly dissipates. Nice streaming bubbles.

Smell is sweet with some bready malts coming through.

Taste is like sweet corn with a touch of a burn at the back of tongue.

Feel is refreshing and crisp with a clean finish.

Overall I like this beer because it is a simple refreshing lager that really does not pretend to be anything over the top. It laced the heck out of my glass all the way down and the taste was of a good cold refreshing glass of beer flavored beer.

2.55/5  rDev +8.1%

This Miller product has that distinctive "Miller Taste" to it. Corny with some skunk. Not one that I have too often, but when I get the hankering for it, I'll buy a sixer of this. Taste is sweet corn, much like other Miller products. There was also a slight metallic twinge to this beer, but it was ever so subtle.

1.66/5  rDev -29.7%

Appearance: Pale golden, with a huge head of white suds. Lovely lace, so scores rather high on presentation, believe it or not!

Aroma: Cereal grains, some cream corn…not too much hoppiness going on here, not surprisingly.

Taste: Sweet and almost sugary on the palate. Wow. Very little to remember other than the cloying sweetness. Actually had to force this one down. Not sure how I used to drink these all those years ago, but this is not a good nor balanced beer.

4.26/5  rDev +80.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really don't understand the bad reviews. This beer is a notch up from High Life, and nothing beats it on a hot summer day. Excellent, honest lager.

2.96/5  rDev +25.4%

As many others have pointed out, overfamiliarity can make any sort of unbiased eating difficult. However, I have a new beer experience by which I now judge beers and that experience is called Asia.

The macro beers here are really terrible and cheaply made. Most of the cheap ones have distinct skunk notes--Tsing Tao Draft anyone? By contrast suddenly MGD draft served in a plastic cup at a New York Pizza joint in Seoul seems quite drinkable.

I will have to reconsider this rating next time I'm back in America.

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: light shiny golden colour, with medium/low carbonation. I admit it looks like urinel and it's worse every time I try it.

Smell: light grainy smell and slight roasted something.

Taste: I get grains, slightly fresh and not dense (when drank from the bottle). Pretty dry and harsh. It's drinkablity was much higher a couple of years ago and the one with the less skunky aftertaste of the macro beers I find here.

Mouthfeel: I got to edit this cause the 2 last times I tried it it was really harsh, awful, annoying.

Overall: this was my prefered easily available AAD beer. It never gave me headaches after drinking too much, and it had some taste other than alcohol and it always feels fresh, all this when drank from the bottle, cause the canned version it's a disgrace. Ultimately, the bottle version is ugly too.

1.08/5  rDev -54.2%

Imagine a set of twins being birthed. The parents realize they can only afford to raise one child and decide to leave the other behind at an orphanage. Now imagine me in a bar ordering between MGD and Colt 45. MGD, I hope you find your Daddy Warbucks.

3.79/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

(24 oz can, poured into a wine glass after letting can sit out for about 10 min)

L: just about crystal-clear, pale yellow-gold liquid... the foam is very loose and open, sort of spongy, and actually takes more time than you'd think to collapse... that said, the foam looks pond scummy... I can't believe my eyes! there's actually a wide band of lacing left around the top of the glass after the first couple sips

S: rather bright (but blurry) toasted malt aroma with some corn pone lingering in the background with some sweetness enhancing the corn aroma... malt aromas get stronger as it warms, displaying rich, toasty-cookie and malt-liquor-like nuances, maybe even a hint of alcohol

T: malt liquor-esque flavor up front with a stale Wonder crust follow-through in the finish... fairly dry aftertaste, despite the malt flavor lingering around on the palate... dull, dried-grass flavor and bitterness

F: comes across up front on certain sips rather fat (carbonation?), but it always immediately drops off dry and mildly sharp... compact, lighter-bodied

O: it's not all that bad - High Life may be more flavorful - I'll have to check em side by side...

2.53/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

L:
-pours a light golden with a medium,foamy,white head
-medium carbonation visible
S:
-corn sweetness,biscuity,slight honey,spicy hops,faint cardboard
T:
-no hops detectable,metallic,cereals,cooked potatoes
-finishes dry with lingering corn sweetness
F:
-medium carbonation
-light body
O:
Honestly,it's not as awful as often talked about.
Overall a slightly below average Pale Lager.
Nothing offensively awful.

4.39/5  rDev +86%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer has a target of its own.
You can not give this beer an impresion without understanding the purpose of this beer.
When you are thirsty in a hot hot day this beer is the best beer out there. When it is cold and there is snow outside this beer is its worst anemy .

It is all about body and mouth temp .
If you do not understand it you will never know when to buy which beer .
Good Luck .

3.36/5  rDev +42.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.75

Honestly, Nothing stands out as particularly bad about this beer, but then again nothing stands out at all about it. It's rather refreshing and completely inoffensive but it's average at best and bland at worst.

4.52/5  rDev +91.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I always drank Miller High Life & it wasn't until recently that I started buying MGD. I always thought of it as an old man's beer. Then I found out that it was the same ingredients as High Life, just cold filtered instead of pasteurized, to help give it the draft beer taste. I see a lot of negative reviews but don't really understand them. Yes I know it's not a "craft beer" but I would recommend that you give it a try for yourself rather then read silly reviews.

I don't get the hateful reviews on this.

This is definitely one of the best macro beers out there.
Very smooth, malty, nicely balanced, with a taste of hops to finish.

I'd say it's nearly on par with Narragansett lager.
I'm giving it 5/5 for what it achieves with the style.

(Nice can too)

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.