Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
donteatpoop

2.2/5  rDev -2.2%

This is one of the beers I started drinking on. Thankfully I cam to my senses. It's not an ugly beer, but its color (which is average at best) is about all it has going for it. If you're interested in headaches, this may be the beer for you. MGD has a horrible aftertaste that almost rivals the initial taste.

02-21-2008 23:40:07 | More by donteatpoop
Dubbercody

Washington

Picked up a can for 25 cents. Thought I should try it and at least learn how bad it really is for a quarter.

Fizzy yellow beer...yuck. This is worse than the last crappy macro...fizzy tart flavor. Smells like rice.

I wish I could get my quarter back.

02-17-2008 23:28:24 | More by Dubbercody
scottblaze

2.93/5  rDev +30.2%

OKAY, today is the Daytona 500 and an ice cold American macro lager straight out of the bottle seems the way to go. Just had Bud and Coors not long ago, so...lessee...MGD...haven't drank that in 2 or 3 years so here we go.

For the purpose of this review I decanted a bottle, straw yellow, a medium pour produced a ¾"(+or-) head, retention fair and surprisingly a goodly amount of lacing. Expecting some DMS on the nose...it is there but faint enough that it is not a big issue...really not a lot to smell at all, maybe a tiny hint of ginger. Taste is underwhelming, not much of a whole lot of anything, but for what it is, it is not bad, actually it is quite refreshing. Mouthfeel is a little thin. Drinkability is quite good.

I'm drinking the rest straight out of the bottle just like my "blue collar buddies" would want me to. It is what it is and not nearly as bad as all the negative reviews would indicate.

02-17-2008 21:03:37 | More by scottblaze
hardy008

1.18/5  rDev -47.6%

Appearance - Pale yellow beer with not much of a head or lace.
Smell - Corn and adjuncts.
Taste - Water, carbonation, and corn dominate. Also somewhat skunky.
Mouthfeel - high carbonation, not much quality. Mass produced.
Drinkability - poor. Somewhat better than Miller High Life or Light, but not much better.

02-16-2008 22:54:32 | More by hardy008
soupyman10

District of Columbia

2.2/5  rDev -2.2%

I always have a hard time rating these ones, because the style as a whole just sucks, so it's hard to say if I should give a beer high ratings cause it fits in with the style, or low ratings cause it sucks. In any case, this one's straw colored, as you'd expect. Lots of bubbles but no real head. Nose is basically non-existant, but light apples and maybe corn. Flavor is likewise, that sort of biting swetness that comes with macros. Very very bland. Mouth feel is too fizzy, and way too thin. It sucks.

02-12-2008 17:33:09 | More by soupyman10
clayrock81

2.15/5  rDev -4.4%

I used to kill 12ers of this college because they were on the cheap - I have no idea why people would drink it for any other reason. It isn't that bad, but there are other macros you can get cheaper that have the same effect.
Minimal aroma, mostly some adjuncts and the can, to be honest. Taste is minimal, with some slight hoppy or barley/rice presence. Goes down real smooth and watery, almost slippery but enough of these will kill your tastebuds so it doesn't matter. If you're having a party and need some cheap beer that doesn't make you look cheap (i.e. anything with the words Natural, Milwaulkee or Malt Liquor) then you could pick this up.

02-08-2008 17:00:55 | More by clayrock81
Matty1918

1.95/5  rDev -13.3%

Give me a regular Miller any day..

I wasn't impressed with the taste of MGD.

It does have a darker color than the High Life but in MHO it doesn't taste as good. I try to stay away from these but if push came to shove and these were the only beers I had to drink...then yea I'll drink them. Again these have to be ICE COLD to even consider drinking.

02-01-2008 20:46:25 | More by Matty1918
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

2.28/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance - Golden yellow color nearing a transparent orange. The head stood at a quarter inch for only a minute or so. A thin cloud of white is left at the surface.

Smell - Barley and really nothing else. The scent is very faint and nearly nonexistent.

Taste - The flavor is crisp barley that plateaus and stays throughout each gulp. Nothing complex here.

Mouthfeel - The feel of this beer is nothing worthwhile.

~ This is my father-in-laws favorite. Therefore, I need to go easy on it here.

01-29-2008 02:24:22 | More by cdkrenz
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

American Macro Lager Review #2: MGD.

No clear freshness information.

a: Clear light straw color, thin white head fades to obscurity. No lacing or head retention.

s: Not much of one. Faint aroma...malt maybe?

t: Corn, grain, maybe some faint hop bitterness. The finish is bitter, but doesn't taste of hops. Leaves an unpleasant, but light, taste in my mouth.

m: Smooth, crisp, dry finish.

d: With the exception of a total lack of flavor or aroma, no big complaints. So far, I would prefer Budweiser when drinking flavorless Macro Beer Product.

Great quote from Jason's review, "There are other macros that will do a better job of being totally bland to quench your thoughtless thirst."

01-21-2008 19:04:01 | More by BradLikesBrew
bboven

3.15/5  rDev +40%

Very pale yellow, crystal clear. Ring of head at the edges of the glass and, surprisingly, some lacing. Needs a touch more color, however.

Green apple and hops are the main aroma, though they are very faint. The green apple is the stronger of the two, but it's not a detriment.

Faintly sweet flavor with almost no hop bitterness.

Slightly under carbonated for the style but very much refreshing and drying.

Not my favorite macro, but certainly a touch above some I've had. I liked how drying it was, but the overlying sticky-sweet flavor is a bit much for my personal taste.

01-10-2008 00:27:21 | More by bboven
Halcyondays

1.6/5  rDev -28.9%

12 oz. bottle, at a local Chinese place,

A: Pours a pale, but kind of a darker shade, maybe it's the light of yellow, with a small white head, which dissipates rapidly, no lacing to be found.

S: Foul, rancid smell of fermented corn, made me wary to drink it.

T: Very light taste, some corn and malt notes, but overall almost like drinking flavoured seltzer water, no hops.

M: Light, watery, thin, typical macro lager, wasn't getting a lot of carbonation that I usually get in this style though.

D: A pretty pathetic macro lager, if you wan't a Miller product, go for the High Life.

01-07-2008 20:12:13 | More by Halcyondays
n0315

3.1/5  rDev +37.8%

probably the smoothest beer I have ever had. A bit dry, but smooth none the less. As far as the average person goes, I will drink this if I am offered. When it comes to american macro lagers, I like smoothness becuase I know I'll get nothing else out of it. Smooth, but a bit dry. Miller is better but this does for a BBQ when its this or busch.

12-29-2007 04:44:01 | More by n0315
rodenbach99

Quebec (Canada)

2.1/5  rDev -6.7%

bouteille transparente de 341ml.

bière blonde blé, comme toute les autres. nez de maïs, de malt, nez industrielle, bouche légère, pas vraiment d'arrière goût pas de goût non plus. produit de consommation masse pour ceux et celles qui n'aime pas la bière.

12-26-2007 23:08:50 | More by rodenbach99
Overlord

1.9/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a somewhat darker than expected yellow. Still has that funky sickly sweet malt, that manages to be thin and unpalatable at the same time.

Maybe an inch or two head. Not terribly overly carbonated (surprising!). Better than I recall, but still pretty bad.

Forget it.

12-26-2007 01:46:22 | More by Overlord
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

3.1/5  rDev +37.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste mostly contains the typical macro sweetness with a thin malt character and a faint flavor of hops. I find it difficult to describe but somehow this beer just seems to taste better than other macros, even if it can’t compare to a good craft brew.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down very easy, not filling at all, mild kick, this beer has pretty much become my default choice in situations where I’m forced to choose among macros and other beer that I don’t like. It also helps that it’s usually inexpensive.

12-21-2007 15:46:33 | More by TheManiacalOne
sbe1

2.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Among the least worst of American Macro Brews, shares this distinction with PBR and Miller High Life.

Appearance: Clear light gold color, OK pure white head that leaves a very thin surface of foam on the top, very little lace.

Smell: Funky stale malt and corn scent, a bit of hard to define acridness, no hops to speak of in the nose.

Taste: Bland overall, with low grade malt and corn sweetness. Low carbonation, light and ugly hop taste. A dry acrid finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin, inoffensive carbonation, very suitable for chugging large quantities.

Drinkability: Easy and uninteresting to drink. If you want to drink a lot and fast for the purpose of getting loaded, you could do worse.

12-17-2007 00:58:56 | More by sbe1
stagman

Missouri

1.63/5  rDev -27.6%

When I heard this beer was made with hops extract, it threw up red flags for me right away. There's nothing like designing a beer for shelf life rather than flavor. Anyway:

A - pours a faint straw with little carbonation and no head.
S - faint, sweet smell of adjuncts
T - tastes of corn and maybe a bit of malt
M - not at all pleasant
D - ok if you don't care about flavor or enjoying a beer for the hard work put into it

12-17-2007 00:17:45 | More by stagman
wgk

Wisconsin

1.8/5  rDev -20%

My goodness. I thought that I would remember this beer being much better than it was so I tried it again. I always remembered that it was better than regular Bud and just not quite as good as Coors regular old banquet brew. This memory comes way back from when I drank a beer for reasons that had nothing to do with the beer. Just the result.

But, to my taste buds, I'd only want to drink MGD after A LOT of Coors, or almost anything else. Which also isn't likely. Probably still do MGD a little before regular Bud, which was always given to cause me headaches ever since they started advertising beechwood aging way, way, way back when.

Taste?....much more after [taste].
Smell...stale, unappealing.
Mouthfeel...not really....can I say...somewhat "fizzy"?
Drinkability...no...umm...No.

Seriously, I am not buying MGD again and have decided that leaving an establishment that mostly or only serves MGD and the like is a better choice than staying there would be...Purveyors of the High Life? Naah.
So many, many better choices out there for my money. And, did you notice? This really isn't cheap beer.

12-16-2007 23:48:09 | More by wgk
pirates

South Africa

3.68/5  rDev +63.6%

Smell

I found the smell to be a bit stale and unwelcoming.

Taste

This beer is good on the palate and is particularly sweet. Goes down very well, especially with good company. Great party beer and I have found that one can consume lots without getting bored.

An enjoyable beer overall.

12-09-2007 11:15:37 | More by pirates
Gehrig

2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

And to think that this was once a beer I drank on occasion many moons ago. Not impressed with it now after having been away from it for over a decade. Perhaps it was the can, but I doubt it. Pours medium golden color, little head. Little grabs the nose and, unfortunately, the taste buds either. It's rather dry, slightly bitter, and has an odd, exceedingly grainy taste, producing an aftertaste that was simply annoying. Not a beer I'll go back to anytime soon.

11-26-2007 21:37:01 | More by Gehrig
Tilley4

Tennessee

2.75/5  rDev +22.2%

I actually think that this is one of the better macros out there. The color isn't half bad and the head on it isn't that bad either. It doesn't really smell that great, like the typical American macro. A bit skunky actually. Maybe the dang clear bottle. Taste is nothing memorable but it is better than 99% of the other macro offerings. Unfortunately, that's not saying a lot. I would probably drink this beer again if I was at a party somewhere and it was the only thing available, but I don't think I will go out looking for this one.

11-25-2007 01:39:18 | More by Tilley4
SargeC

Japan

2.73/5  rDev +21.3%

Appearance: Clear, golden yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Minimal hops. Grapes, almost has a wine smell.

Taste: It seems they are trying too hard. It results in limited flavor that includes a bit of hops and minimal malt.

Mouthfeel: Decent body, but it feels like it may be enhanced by chemistry.

Drinkability: I run into this beer a lot at backyard gatherings. I have never been a fan, so I wanted to evaluate it under different circumstances. This is not the worst beer, but even when I evaluated it in the best circumstances possible, it was hard to find much to like. I will not seek this beer out, but I will not turn one down either.

11-17-2007 03:53:02 | More by SargeC
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.35/5  rDev -40%

Bottle: Poured a golden yellow color lager with a small bubbly white head with limited retention. Aroma of sweet adjunct is dominating. Taste is also dominated by sweet corn with a watery aftertaste. No hops could be detected and body is quite thin. Nothing bad but just really plain and boring.

11-01-2007 19:31:06 | More by Phyl21ca
metallistout

Pours a yellow-straw color with almost no head. Smells like any other macro lager. Taste is boring but at least it ain't as bad as the light beers that Miller makes.

All of these American macro-lager beers taste pretty much the same to me. Very little malt flavor, very corn flavored and almost no hops.

10-28-2007 16:33:56 | More by metallistout
AlHam

3.1/5  rDev +37.8%

I'm biased. As a kid, this was the first beer I loved. It may be a typical American macro lager, but it's among the best.

Pours a light yellow, with a thin, lacy head.

Smells light, crisp, husky, grainy.

Tastes smooth and crisp, with a distinct hint of grain.

A thin beer in the mouth that isn't heavy on the tastebuds either, but it's very simple, drinkable beer.

10-22-2007 05:21:52 | More by AlHam
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.