Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
bluemoonswoon

2.3/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Pours the same color of the Heineken I just poured earlier, which is to say a clear and golden straw, but the head just outlasts it in lasting ability but not really impressive looking at all, all loose and soapy.

S: Smells far worse than the Heineken though cooked vegetables and corn, really just not nice, at least the Heine had some semblance of malt character. Better leave this one in the can.

T/MF: Light and fizzy mouthfeel mildly chewy but mostly loose and watery with a slight spritzy carbonated feel. Taste is weak at best, slight huskyness but mostly dominated by corn, rice and cooked vegetables.

D: Pretty easy to drink but out of the can it really tastes a lot less crisp and the flaws really begin to show, but just another boring macro easy drunk drinker.

07-09-2008 04:29:28 | More by bluemoonswoon
assmasterson

Missouri

2.35/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Piss yellow. Actually, a tad paler than that.

S: Hello? Hello? Anyone home? Doesn't seem like it. The faintest of the faint aromas.

T: Again, I'm still searching. What is there isn't bad, but there is hardly any of it to speak of.

M: Quite smooth, very slick and the carbonation does not become out of control. Not bad, but not worthy of a parade.

D: Full to empty in no time. This is one of the easiest beers to drink I have come across.

07-09-2008 02:33:03 | More by assmasterson
Mdog

2.88/5  rDev +28%

Appearance: Yellow, good carbonation, fading head.

Smell: Sweet grain.

Taste: Light sweet bread flavor. No hops to my taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Light and bubbly.

Drinkability: Easy to throw back a few.

This was the first beer I regularly drank in college many years ago. I snuck this one home from softball to review. It's not terrible for a macro but I wouldn't have too many of them in a row.

07-04-2008 21:53:07 | More by Mdog
Domingo

2.55/5  rDev +13.3%

Had a couple of these at Miller Park in Milwaukee.
Pretty nice looking golden color with a ton of carbonation. Looks better than the other macros for sure.
Smells really sweet and grainy. Reminds me a little of a sweetened corn breakfast cereal.
The taste is bland and reminds me of corn and unripened bananas.
Goes down easy enough, but the heavy carbonation really limits the drinkability on the whole. I felt bloated after only one.
Not terrible, but not good either. Better than Bud, but it's not as good as similar offerings like PBR, Stroh's, Schlitz, or even Miller's own High Life.

06-30-2008 17:30:44 | More by Domingo
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

1.7/5  rDev -24.4%

Thank God there were only four different Miller beers for me to find in Tobago. I bought all four at the same time, what a mistake to make! This one was marginally the best in a pretty crap bunch.

12oz can poured into a half pint tumbler it looked as pale and insipid as the 'Miller Lite' I'd just flushed down the toilet. The white head left before I had chance to look at it and if there was an aroma from the beer it didn't hang around long either.

There was a mild beer taste and more body than the other Miller products, but it is not an American brewery that I'll re-visit in a hurry.

06-24-2008 19:12:19 | More by BlackHaddock
PatrickJR

2.2/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Pale, clear yellow. 1/2 inch of head falls quickly to a small film. Looks like the rest of them do. Actually has a little bit of lacing though.

S - Corn, some funky metallic aroma, and a weird sweet/tangy smell.

T - Almost nothing, more like a light lager. Wet paper, cardboard, old books, and old grits come to mind in the brief appearance of any sort of flavor. Very little going on here; the only thing keeping from dropping this to a 1.5 is that it's not really offensive.

M - Thin, not too watery, with expected high carbonation.

D - Usually I can at least give a bad beer a little boost with the drinkability because most of them are easy to down, but not MGD. It is in fact so bizarrely tasteless that I feel like I'm drinking water that someone ashed a cigarette in.

06-20-2008 18:27:04 | More by PatrickJR
uabigdaz

Arizona

2.95/5  rDev +31.1%

MGD pours a rich yellow, but has very little head retention. Everything has dissipated to a thin lacing across the top of the beer. To be fair, while it is 97 and getting hotter here in Tucson, any cold beer on a Saturday afternoon looks good.

Smells of malt, reminds me of casual beer nights with the boys. A far cry from anything fancy, but it was $12 for an 18 pack, and it smells like good, old fashioned American macro beer.

Tastes of malt, very little hops to speak of, maybe a little hops in the aftertaste, but nothing more than that, again, typical for lager. Although I am a huge fan of Pale Ale's, this just looked most refreshing for today, and it hits the spot, so maybe I'm biased today.

Smooth, surprisingly so. Not too much carbonation, not to thick, just right. Drinkability is up there for hot summer days, however, not something I'm going to regularly stock, as I normally just get a six pack of something better.

I like this beer because it reminds me of my roots in beer. It reminds me of the stuff my dad used to drink, the stuff I drank in college. It's a good return to my roots, but I don't want to live there again...

06-07-2008 21:57:47 | More by uabigdaz
Donnie2112

Alaska

2.98/5  rDev +32.4%

excellent clarity, pale straw color, some visible forced carbonation, light head that retains decently and a little bit of lace that sticks to the glass inconsistently. Looks like an American Lager.

not much aroma, a bit of sharp malt

a bit of corn again the sharp fermented grain flavor, there's a bit of sweetness in the background. There's a slightly perceptible hop bitterness that just does not offer any character to the beer except for some slight bittering but not enough to clean up the corn flavor that sits on your mouth. I find this to be just a mediocre flavored beer

light bodied but I wouldn't call it watery, fizzy no real astringence

I just don't find this interesting enough to drink on a regular basis. It's not offensive to me, but it's not that interesting either, and it works as a refresher.

06-04-2008 16:30:35 | More by Donnie2112
MayorAdamWest

1.15/5  rDev -48.9%

Sad to say it was the best offered at a wedding reception I attended recently. I haven't tried one of these in years... and it will be a cold day in hell when I try one again. Typical and not at all impressive in color. Tasted flat and bland... offensive. I couldn't really say what it tasted like... It wasn't malt and it wasn't hops. Paper? Dryer lint? I'm not sure, but it wasn't something that was actually meant to be consumed.

Stay away. Even as a pale lager it is offensive. Go grab a PBR and be happy if you want to drink something from this style.

EDIT:

I finally figured out just how I'd like to review this beer.

A - Fizzy yellow with a decent amount of head. This is the best thing it has going for it. Clean and clear...full of carbonation.

Smell - At first I had trouble figuring out if it was the beer or if the glass had been wet and laid upside down on a damp towel. Sadly, it was the beer that smelled of mildew with only a slight malt-like aroma.

Taste - This is an afront to God. How anyone could stomach this beer is beyond me. It tasted of that wet towel mildew smell with a little bit of construction paper...if I remember the taste correctly from my youth. A complete lack of hops.

Drinkability - Absolutely none.

06-01-2008 16:13:49 | More by MayorAdamWest
illidurit

1.83/5  rDev -18.7%

Can poured into a pint glass. Sickly pale yellow with a watery white head that dissipates like cola fizz. Doesn't really smell like anything, maybe a little sour corn. Tastes like corn flavored Perrier with a barley finish. Watery and unpleasant. Lots of carbonation, paper-thin body. Drinkable when ice cold.

05-30-2008 06:52:26 | More by illidurit
hustlesworth

2.53/5  rDev +12.4%

A- standard clear golden color. like a nice dark piss. tightly bubbled pure white head has excellent retention... in a styrofoam cup. in a pint glass, the effect is quite different. nonetheless, MGD seems to have the best foam of any macro i've reviewed. score!

S- corn and rotting cooked sewage logged vegetables. ok maybe not sewage. more like old broccoli water. but honestly. other adjuncts as well, but it would be vanity trying to discern them. only pale malt and fillers in the aroma, no hops to speak of.

T- corn, cereal grains, and a strange artificial bitterness in the throat. if the flavor was more concentrated, it might be repulsive. thankfully, taste is very pale and diluted but the soft cereal aftertaste actually isn't all that bad. just short of 'pleasant'.

MF- a little too full to be called light, with the generous use of adjuncts, the body is slightly creamy and the styrofoam cup enhances this effect whereas the pint glass does not. medium high carbonation keeps things movin.

D- my little experiment definitely worked wonders for a beer so often hated. with this, and perhaps most american macros, STYROFOAM is the way to go! head lasts to the very end and mouthfeel is enhanced considerably. taste and aroma, well they pretty much stay the same.

05-27-2008 18:35:12 | More by hustlesworth
albern

2.58/5  rDev +14.7%

I wouldn't have bought this beer to either drink or review, but it was available so why not do a review? I used to drink this beer in quantity some 25-30 years ago before I knew anything about beer. It was available then, along with a dozen other macros. I haven't had this in years. It isn't unpleasant when it is ice cold, in fact it is very mild and inoffensive. The surprise is in the appearance. Yes it is a straw pale yellow, or barely yellow, more like very watery pale gold, but it has a white head that retains better than I expected. It has a heap of carbonation. The smell is malty, cooked vegetables, adjunct, a bit of an iron chemical smell, but not bad really. The taste is so light, so refreshing, so inoffensive, and really making so little of a statement, that this beer is just a fine thirst quencher on a really hot day. The taste is a bit sourish as the beer warms, there is definitely cooked veggies, some straw flavors, hops are there in the background ... barely. You can't go wrong with this beer when it is cold. That's the key. Once this beer settles, I'm already getting some ugly tastes coming through. Enjoy it as a trip down memory lane, if it serves that purpose.

05-24-2008 23:45:21 | More by albern
EnojysAnyBeer

2.88/5  rDev +28%

Drinks good for a canned beer. Cold temperature is almost neccessary.

A- Nice looking golden can with black and red design

S- Smells like dirty water in a can

T- Tastes sorta sweet on the tongue with a bitter flavor in the mouth

M- Feels good with decent body and decent carbonation

D- Drinks average. Just average

05-08-2008 04:07:35 | More by EnojysAnyBeer
lordsellers04

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

firth off let me just say i like no miller products.

a) in my own opinion i believe miller to taste like urine water with bubbles.

b) its the most watered down beer ive ever had.

C) the taste isnt so great and i dont really get drunk of miller . which leads me to ask myself as well as others " whats the point in drinking this beer?"

makes me pee all night long, only miller anybody know why?

but ok seriously though on a personal note can somebody tell me why miller products are soo popular?

ok i understand that

A) not so high priced

B) doesnt get you drunk quickly

but what makes this beer so popular?

05-06-2008 05:38:10 | More by lordsellers04
rye726

1.48/5  rDev -34.2%

Is there a difference between High Life and this. Maybe I'm prehudice. I can't reaaly tell much of a difference between most of these brews. This one has that basic yellow color and tan head. There is not much of an aroma. Grass maybe? There is not mush flavor either. Just stale malts and hops. Light body with lots of carbonation. Not very drinkable in my book. I'll have a water.

05-05-2008 05:47:51 | More by rye726
lakeviewmike

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -2.2%

Not much of a detectable odor. Taste was grassy. Pretty dry, not much sweetness. Hops was very subdued, maybe a bit of lemony bite.

Not worth trying again.

I am on the hunt for a good American Lager and this is my first foray back into them. I generally have not been a fan of Miller products and this reminds me why. It's a good thing the flavor level is so low, otherwise I probably wouldn't want to finish this.

Had a taste of Moretti with this. It was soooo much better.

05-02-2008 01:03:29 | More by lakeviewmike
JohnfromDublin

Ireland

2.33/5  rDev +3.6%

I tasted this 330 ml bottle on 30.04.2008 (Best by 29 Oct 08). Brewed under licence by Beamish & Crawford, Cork, Ireland.

I popped the cap and there was some instant "fizz" on the top of the bottled liquid. Poured into stemmed beer glass a shade darker than straw coloured and with a small off-white head.
The smell was slightly phenolic and unpleasent.
It tasted almost nasty; a banana skin tang to it; not much else.
Overall; not even up to the standard of bog-standard Euro lager. Poor.

05-01-2008 09:19:34 | More by JohnfromDublin
thesultan

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.38/5  rDev -38.7%

Poured as a normal lager but head quickly dissipated.

The smell immediately put me off drinking this beer, it was full sickly sweet corn.

Continuation of smell, sickly and stale tasting. Only the very slightest of hops on finish.

Reasonable carbonation gave my tongue a rest from the ugly taste.

Got half way through 300ml bottle, poured it down the sink and open a newcastle brown...not particularly drinkable.

04-27-2008 03:16:22 | More by thesultan
Offa

2.6/5  rDev +15.6%

This to me is like a lighter, thinner, less full-bodied and flavourful version of Miller High Life, which makes sense. It is overall very similar but soon becomes a tad more bland and minerally.

It is gold, essentially the same colour as High Life, with a similar medium white head that slowly dissipates to a thin, wispy top, but the head is slightly weaker than High Life's and it leaves weaker lace - some, but almost none.

The aroma is again similar to High Life - fairly strong, perfumy, corn and grain dominated basic US lager with a faint meaty quality. It's not bad but perhaps a tad more rough to me.

The taste is also similar to High Life, but here the differences are a little more marked. It has a strong corn-grain quality and seams at first cleanr and more crisp but also more bland and lacking the lasting perfumy-grain quality of High Life. It also seems thinner, a ltitle more watery, with less of a winey character and it lacks the apple that I notice in High Life. It soon develops a noticeable mineral-water quality and becomes more bland with only weak grain aftertaste. It's close to High Life but not quite as good, yet it's a lot better than Coors and a number of others.

04-23-2008 15:53:59 | More by Offa
bluejacket74

2.23/5  rDev -0.9%

12 ounce bottle, bottled 1/14/2008. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours straw gold with about an inch white head. Head retention and lacing is OK. Aroma is grain and sweet malt, that's it. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell good either. Taste is corn/grain. Tastes worse the warmer it gets. It's not horrible, but not good. No offensive aromas/flavors. Mouthfeel is light, with average carbonation. It's thin, but not quite watery. Drinkability is OK, it's not hard to drink at all. I wonder how this would taste if it wouldn't have been "cold filtered" 4 times like it says on the bottle. I'd drink it again if I didn't have any better choices, but it's certainly a beer I wouldn't make a point to seek out.

03-29-2008 01:27:35 | More by bluejacket74
watchnerd

24 oz tall boy can.

To be honest, I'm not sure how to rate this because I drank it straight from the can while eating a big pile of super nachos with cabeza and four tacos, two al pastor and two pollo asado, from a local taqueria. I picked this up in the Mexican market next door.

Appearance - Dunno, I couldn't see it. It was in the can. So I'll pick the middle value.

Smell - Dunno, couldn't see it.

Taste - Not as bad as I remembered, actually. It was there, I drank it, and it was completely forgetable, which is probably better than being digustingly memorable.

Mouthfeel - Like fizzy and sudsy water.

Drinkability - I drank the whole 24 oz tallboy pretty quickly and felt nothing. It was like drinking beer flavored mineral water. Very chugworthy, especially with spicy food where you can absolutely suck the stuff down without worrying about getting full or drunk.

Not as bad as I remember. Maybe drinking from the can makes it better, or at least hides its flaws.

03-20-2008 06:00:29 | More by watchnerd
jadpsu

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours very pale, light straw yellow with a decent head that has better than average staying power. Does leave lacing.
Aroma, is hard to find but there is a cereal type oder - problem with that is I don't have cereal at the same time of day I have beer and for that matter vice-versa.

Taste is bland, not unpleasant but essentially there is nothing there. Very thin, watery with no positive characteristics other than it is perhaps thirst quenching beer.

03-16-2008 01:33:27 | More by jadpsu
ElGrecoVerde

2.23/5  rDev -0.9%

How is it that the cheaper Miller High Life, and the lighter Miller Lite both beat the crap out of their older brother MGD? Well, with macro lagers, anything goes.

This one is disappointing, even taking into consideration it's mass production.

They went heavy on the corn in this one. The truck must have gotten lost in Nebraska. I just picture that Family Guy where Stewie sits around discussing corn with fellow Nebraskans. This is followed up with some dirty grains that add nothing to the taste.

It's actually a pretty smooth beer, however. I have no problem drinking it, but given the other choices for session beers, why bother?

03-10-2008 13:42:08 | More by ElGrecoVerde
BeerCon5

3.18/5  rDev +41.3%

A: Clear light yellow color, not much head with a little lacing.

S: Mostly barley, grains, and corn.

T: Good taste, a little too much of a corny taste.

M: Light and fairly thin, not a lot of carbonation for this type of beer.

D: Generally easy to drink and refreshing.

02-26-2008 15:56:09 | More by BeerCon5
BeerTaster

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

poored pale yellow in color almost no head and no lacing at all. This is a bad beer no smell taste was awful with a funny aftertaste mouthfeel was thin with high carbonation. Whats up with the clear bottle brewers should know better. I dont think this beer used fresh hops tasted like hop extract.

02-23-2008 00:27:09 | More by BeerTaster
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.