Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
2.08/5  rDev -7.1%

After such a gobsmackingly brilliant drop like Weihenstephaner Vitus I come to a brew that averages D+ in BA score; Miller Genuine Draft. My first question is "As opposed to Miller Non-Genuine Draft?", which is soon followed by "why am I reviewing this?"... the answer to which apart from it being really cheap is fairly straightforward - I've reviewed enough nice beers so it's time to review some nasty ones (yay...).

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a 500ml Pokal.

A: Body presents as a clear filtered p*** yellow (same colour out as in perhaps?), with a light foamy white head that soon settles to lacing around the inside of the glass.

S: Smells like hay and non-roasted barley. No hop depth to be found. There is a slight muskiness overriding everything and it does not bode well.

T: Tastes like a beer shandy with some grains thrown into the mix. Crisp with a light dry aftertaste. Really wish I hadn't bought a six-pack, but I guess I can save them for when mates come over (separate from my tasty Pale Ale's). Fairly barren and grainy, not as bad as some of the classic Aussie macro's (VB, MB, Toohey's, or Carlton Cold), however this is merely due to the dilution of those ugly macro Lager flavours that run rampant in Aussie Lagers.

M: Like a glass of lemonade or cola - too much fizz and far too watery.

D: If it was very hot outside and the beer was kept very cold (and you weren't paying for it) I could see a reason to drink this; it's cooling and thirst-quenching in an "I don't want to challenge the drinkers taste buds" kinda way... but life is too short in my opinion, we may only have a limited amount of beer we can drink in our lifetime so why even waste a second on beers without flavour?

Food match: Anything really, you won't taste the beer anyhow so go nuts... chilli, pastrami, wasabi fries with a side of hot English mustard... yeah no, forget the last one.

2.53/5  rDev +12.9%

355ml bottle poured into a 16oz pint glass.

A - Fizzy, half-finger head. No Retention at all. Looks like apple juice.

S - Sweet grains, cereal; bland. Touch of honey, that's about it.

T - Adjunct grains and light malt upfront. Hardly anything present. Finishes grainy. Boring.

M - Thin body. Medium-to-strong carbonation. Refreshing, but watery.

D - Maybe okay on a hot summer day, but other than that, I don't really care for anything this beer has to offer.

2.7/5  rDev +20.5%

The second of my international macrolager test. Had this one after a few Heinekens...

33cl bottle, made in Italy by Peroni under license.

The colour is gold, less pale than say a Bud.
Head shrinks very fast and the carbonation is good. Lots of bubbles.

The smell is not that bad actually, ofcourse it smells light and cheap but it smells better than Budweiser.

Taste is very weak and watery, it has some more flavour than Bud but not by much and it tastes of slightly sweet adjunct cereal.
Mouthfeel is water.

I prefer it over Bud but this is still a very weak lager. Very nice bottle though...

2.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Yellow and fizzy with a large head that quickly went bye-bye, but did leave some lace behind.

Smelled of caramel malts, with some adjunct corn.

Taste followed the smell, caramel malt being the primary flavor, but some notable corn flavors crept through as well.

Feel is very light and fizzy, pretty easy to drink when ice cold but not one that you'd want to let get very warm.

Overall it's not something I'd actually purchase, but at someone else's barbeque it was free, so I gave it a try.

2.45/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This beer is a pale clear yellow color with a white head that comes and goes very quickly. I remember not minding this beer at one time but now I can't even stand it. The smell is of grains and corn, the flavor is also with a bit of rice there too. The mouthfeel is very thin like club soda almost. Overall it just doesn't appeal to me.

2.68/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer is ok. The only time I drink it is when the waitress at some restaurant tells me they don't have High Life. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink this beer. It's not bad, its not great, its just a beer that is carried everywhere and is better than its BMC light brethren.

2.38/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: A crystal-clear straw-colored body capped by two fingers of bubbly, white head that feature decent retention and lacing.

Aroma: Sweet and grainy pale malt with mild, lemony hops for balance.

Flavor: Surprisingly, there is a relatively substantial malt backbone here. While it’s hardly a lush base of caramel malt, it does feature some biscuity notes along with the usual grainy and husky character. That said, there’s little hop character here, just a splash of lemon. The finish is clean, with just a suggestion of slightly biscuity grain in the finish.

Mouthfeel: A somewhat watery body with sharp carbonation and crisp finish.

Drinkability: As usual with these beers, if you’re into the flavor profile there’s nothing holding you back.

Verdict: While it’s still bland and thin compared to the rest of the beer world, MGD actually has a decent wedge of malty character for this style. Still, given a choice between this and its cousin High Life, I’d choose the latter every time.

2.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a familiar pale golden colour with a moderate head that burns off quickly, leaving a thin film and surprisingly thick lace.

Smells pretty bad. It's like an apple juice juice box and bad white wine. Sweet and pungent like almost rotten fruit.

Unsurprisingly kind of tastes like bad white wine with apple or grape juice in it. Goes sour on the finish rather than dry or bitter.

Mouthfeel is crisp, maintains carbonation throughout, but is very light-bodied to the point of being watery.

This isn't as good as most macros and given the price (12.75/6 in Canada), is likely best left ignored. (Labatt ver.)

3.13/5  rDev +39.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

[Updated Jan 25 2013]

473 mL can from TBS, served ice cold. Been a few years since I've cracked open one of these.

Pours a familiar pale golden colour, highly effervescent, topped with two fingers of soapy, frothy white head that seeps away over the next few minutes. It leaves behind an impressive amount of lacing for the style, as well as a thin, foamy film at the surface. A fine-looking lager - unfortunately, it's not very fine-smelling. The aroma is comprised of pale malts, adjunct sweetness, and not much else. So very bland - at least it can't really be construed as offensive.

I haven't had this stuff in a while, but my first sip left me pleasantly surprised - I don't remember it tasting this good. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing interesting or creative here, with the pale malt sweetness, rice adjunct and weak grassiness unlikely to impress any seasoned craft beer drinkers. But the decent flavours, clean finish, smoothness and very high drinkability still combine to make this one of the better AALs available in these parts, at least in my opinion. Thin-bodied and watery, with stereotypically high carbonation levels.

Final Grade: 3.13, a passable C+. MGD is nothing special, but it's still a serviceable macro lager. Here in Canada, Miller brands seriously lack the market penetration they presumably enjoy in the States - I literally cannot remember the last time I saw someone buying this stuff. That being said, this is the sort of pale lager I could drink all night and not get sick of - light and refreshing, and without the obnoxious corn and cardboard flavours I often find in cheaper offerings of this stripe. It's not the sort of thing I'd ever buy regularly, but if someone handed me one of these at a party or campfire, I'd just be thankful it wasn't Budweiser (or even worse: a light beer).

3.48/5  rDev +55.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good old fashioned Booze.

Clear as day with a pure white one finger head.

Smells of sweet pale malts, corn water and playdough.

This is pretty much the candy of beer. Not necesarily a bad thing though cause everyone eats candy once in a while. Taste for this one is a bit bland, even for Macro's but there's something about it that stands out among others. Corn, potatoes, and playdough are the primary flavors.

Crisp clean and refreshing. Light bodied yet pretty cloying to my taste. Can't drink too many Macro's in a row.

2.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Straw colored, great clarity. Lots of visible carbonation with a large white head and decent retention.

Smells skunked (clear bottles ftw!). Lots of bland white bread notes. A skunky Wunderbread beer perhaps?

Taste is average for a riced up adjunct lager. Twangs of cereal and sourdough make up the flavor mostly.

High carbonation. An average example of an undesirable style.

2.1/5  rDev -6.3%

Yellow pour, the mildest of soap like head with no retention. Big corn and industry aroma.

More corn taste, high carbonation, corn syrup sweetness without the viscosity, likely from copious amounts of water. Aftertaste is slightly unpleasant, like old wood and bad malt liquor. Just not a good beer. I like many of the adjunct products made in Wisconsin, and this smells delicious when its being made from a distance, (like right around the Marquette interchange), but it is simply not good.

1.95/5  rDev -12.9%

12 oz can into a pint glass

A: Very light yellow with a slight golden tone. Loose, soapy head pours then dissipates.

S: Cereal, malt, sweet.

T: Pretty one dimensional malt with a heavy cereal aftertaste. Grainy. Not bad for an adjunct lager.

M: Thin, very carbonated.

D: Of the big adjunct junk out there, this packs more flavor than most.

1.68/5  rDev -25%

pale straw color with quickly dissipating head.

smells like corn.

tastes like corn. Finish tastes of corn and alcohol.

feels thin and watery.

There isn’t really anything good to say about this beer. Im sorry.

this would probably sell well in the 40oz. market. Give colt45 a run for their money!
(there something nice.)

First had: ?

Do not want ever.

Poured a clear pee-pee color, with lots of carbonation, and a finger of bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of pee-pee and stale grains, Indian corn that's been hanging on the door too long. Tastes of skunk and more pee-pee, sickeningly sweet, with a rotten aftertaste. Yummy.

2.3/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was forced to drink this at a baseball game recently because US Cellular field apparently doesn't want to offer anything other than crappy beers!

I have to admit that this is better than I thought it'd be though. It's a better option than most other American lagers. My review scores are comparing this to GOOD beers, but I'd still happily drink this at baseball games if my only other options are the Buds, Millers and Old Styles of the world.

A-Golden (as in the shower, not the element)
S-smells like dirty socks filled with corn
T-not too bad--corn & grain, but good flavor--no hint of hops though.
M-very carbonated, otherwise light/watery texture.
O-refreshing. this carbonated water has hints of corn and beer.

2.65/5  rDev +18.3%

12-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - transparent golden yellow under 2 fingers of thin, pure white head; leaves some thin lace; small bubbles of carbonation rise to the top

S - very weak smell of corny grain; exactly what one can expect from the style, but weaker than usual

T - not terrible, but nothing special; very crisp and refreshing; corny with little hop presence

M - light-bodied with high carbonation

O - MGD is very drinkable and very refreshing. It's probably not the best adjunct lager in its price range, though.

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a glass mug.

A: Light golden yellow with a decent head that dissipates fairly quickly.
S: Grainy with a bit of hops.
T: A little bit of graininess and a very slight kick of hops at the end.
M: Light bodied with high carbonation.
D: Not bad. One of those every day beers.

2.48/5  rDev +10.7%

I used to drink so much MGD in high school that I got a gut that my friends nicknamed "baby Miller." Haven't had much, if any, of it since.

I was at a minor league baseball game last night and thought I'd give it a try as my second beer of the evening.

The concession stand poured it into a 16oz clear plastic miller lite cup. Poured with a very creamy snow white head that had serious staying power. The color was extremely pale straw. The beer was heavily carbonated, bubbling like champagne.

I couldn't smell much of anything coming from the beer for at least a half hour. Eventually, a sweet adjunct corn-like smell came through. Not much else.

This has a very thin taste, and seemed watery to me, which surprised me considering as a kid I saw this beer as the more full bodied beer in Miller's main lineup (Miller Lite and High Life being the others). The beer was very sweet and sugary with a hint of some kind of malt and a barely noticeable noble hop finish.

Mouthfeel was light and creamy, but thinner than I remembered.

Overall, there was nothing particularly wrong with the beer, but there was also not anything right about it. I actually had trouble finishing it because I just lost interest. I can now bury that part of my youth and move on.

2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

Appearance: It has a pale yellow/golden colour to it. It has a white head that dies down fast and has minimal lacing.

Smell: The aromas give out hints of sweet grains.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a grainy/malty sweetness ending with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It has a high carbonation and is somewhat watery.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth beer accompanied with bland flavours and aromas. This beer lacks alot of flavours and I don't think I would even drink this to get drunk.

2.42/5  rDev +8%

It was bowling night last Saturday....and yes....unfortunately the bowling alley in the small town I live in has a dismal selection. But when you bowling with friends...pitchers of MGD is not that bad. The appearance of MGD is fine...its a clear golden with good carbonation and head. The smell...what smell. The taste is well....beer. Certainly can call this a lawn mower beer for several obvious reasons. Enjoy and stay thirsty my friends!

2.28/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A 500ml clear glass bottle with a BB of Feb 2011, so it's a few weeks out of date. Picked up cheap from my local offie. Label states that this was brewed in the EU under licence from Miller.

Poured into a Sam Smith's pint glass. A clear golden colour with light carbonation. Almost no head - a thin layer of white foam that disappears within seconds of pouring. Faint aroma of light malt and a hint of solvent.

The taste is clean but weak. Light malt with mild sweetness and a slight solvent note upon swallowing. Hints of corn. No discernible hops aroma or bitterness. Mouthfeel is smooth but watery, and lacks crispness due to the low carbonation. Virtually no aftertaste.

Incredibly boring - bland and flavourless. It's dull to look at and has little aroma, taste or body. Amazing to think that this is one of the best selling brands in the US. Avoid - there are so many better beers out there.

1.98/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Very clear and fully carbed. White fizzy head moderate lacing.

S: Smells like cereal.

T: has a very thin flavor that leaves you flat by the end. Not much happening here.

M: very crisp, due to the high carbonation and thin body.

D: After having a few quality craft beers you could probably go through a case of this stuff.

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

I'm low on money this evening so I might as well take some time to review one of the big 3's hallmark beers.

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a 16 oz. pint glass.

The appearance is a weak grainy yellow. A really light foamy head forms. It has some significant bubbles but it is dissipating rapidly. It's not super highly carbonated. There is some light foam sticking to the side of the glass. This really epitomizes the cheap fizzy lager most Americans were used to drinking until the craft beer movement emerged in the 80's. '

A light corn smell which hardly masks the alcohol. There is a smell of lemon pine-sol or cheap air freshener. A light spicy quality which I find pleasing. Slightly balmy. More pilsner than lager.

The taste is less offensive than the poorly balanced smell. I don't taste much alcohol. What I taste is a mild fizzy concoction of cheap malts (corn) with a somewhat sweet artificial lemon finish. I also get hints of sour candy.

The balance is okay. It is slightly fizzy. The beer isn't as offensive as I thought it would be. A somewhat metallic tinge on the tongue doesn't develop a lot of body.

I would prefer not to drink this often but I don't think I'd turn one down if I was in want of a beer and low on cash. It isn't the worst thing I've ever had. I'd rather get a light buzz from this than resort to drinking certain wretched malt liquors just because of the higher ABV.

3.1/5  rDev +38.4%

appearence- A light golden clear straw color with a 1 finger soapy head.

smell- I really dont get much on the smell but i do get a slight bit of corn.

taste- All i can say pretty much is that it is very refreshing with a slight i mean slight bitter and dry aftertaste. If it was on a summer day you could slug these back NO problem.

mouthfeel- Its very light with a medium to high carbonation.

Overall this is the best adjunct lager ive had. Good on a summer day to slug down. IM GRADING THIS ON A MACRO LAGER SCALE AND ITS A GOOD ONE FOR THE STYLE.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.