Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
ommegangpbr

2.78/5  rDev +23.6%

I'm going to take one for the team and pour some of this into a glass for the sake of a review. Needless to say this is the sort of thing that is most enjoyable when consumed from the container as cold as possible so the natural characteristics don't open up.
Not as bad as I was fearing. Very typical "beer" stuff going on, in the way that most people think of beer. Very watery, weak flavor profile, a bit overly carbonated... you can taste some of the corn or rice adjuncts in here.
The weak profile and low alcohol content make this reasonably drinkable for a cheap night out at a bar. Not worth the effort really... get PBR instead.

10-06-2007 02:09:53 | More by ommegangpbr
GrimmReaper

British Columbia (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev +15.6%

Very pale yellow with thin white head that dissipates fairly quickly and mild lacing.
The nose is of mild grass,grains and some musty smell in there.
Taste is about the same as the smell which is not really that bad,goes down rather thin and watery with a slight musty aftertaste,but nonetheless,quite enjoyable for a macro,very easy drinking,not bad at all.

10-06-2007 00:25:46 | More by GrimmReaper
armock

2.3/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured it into my glass golden in color with a thin white head that quickly goes away. Doesn't smell all that good. It has a below average taste thats to expect from a macro. It has a good amount of carbonation in it. Well I really don't have a whole lot of good things to say about this beer. I probably would only drink this again if I was really hot and needed a beer.

10-05-2007 04:28:28 | More by armock
jdubjacket

Georgia

2.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Probably my favorite macro brew...and that's not saying a whole lot.

This beer is best for tailgating and after a day of hard work or cutting the grass.

Oddly enough, this beer is better out of a can instead of the bottle. That's probably due to the fact that the bottled beer comes in clear bottles.

This is good for a day by the pool. Aside from that, I can't imagine sipping on this.

10-01-2007 00:39:21 | More by jdubjacket
Floydster

2.3/5  rDev +2.2%

40 ounce bottle from 7-Eleven in El Segundo

Pour was golden brown with a thick foamy head

Smell was filled with yeast and a little malt

Very heavy beer and the taste is strong and a little bitter making it hard to drink much

Miller Lite is the way to go if you want to have more than one

09-21-2007 03:57:18 | More by Floydster
geographie

Oregon

2.15/5  rDev -4.4%

pours a cheap white head - giving way to its true lack of malt body. Which happens to look nice, the white tendrils of lace clinging to the sides of the glass, framing the pale straw body of the beer. I can easily read the page of a book under the lens of MGD, its that clear. Smell is acrid and a little like slightly moldy malt on a tuesday. Mouthfeel is quite pleasant, like a cold glass of perrier...on that note, i'd still fancy the perrier to the MGD on any given night.

08-30-2007 08:42:14 | More by geographie
Shadman

Alberta (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev +39.1%

Found this refugee in my cooler following my 25th Grad reunion on the weekend.

Decent looking lager with a slighly darker straw hue and a nice, dare I say, almost rich looking head that took it's time fading away. Nice little gobs of lacing stuck to the sides of the glass that I hope is a result of a ton of corn syrup.Note a sweet, slightly grainy smell along with a hint of green apple fruitiness. Smooth uptake with an almost sharp Granny smith Aplle taste that is only there for an instant. Some bold, cereal-like malt and a barely there hint of hop round out the flavour. Maybe a tad watery at first and quite light in body, but overall a very drinkable macro.

08-28-2007 03:22:53 | More by Shadman
LittleCreature

Australia

2.23/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance - 2.5
Poured a thin layer of white head, which actually had decent staying power. Relatively pale straw in colour, looks highly carbonated.

Smell - 2.0
I am pleased to note that I can detect no skunk, so this is not a tainted beer. There is a vague trace of corn, and barely detectable hops. Not much smell at all.

Taste - 2.0
Wow, this really is the essense of cheap macro lagers, and tastes much like many cold filtered Aussie beers. Very little taste upfront, slightly bitter in the finish and moderately dry. Some sweetness and little aftertaste (which is a good thing, as I wouldn't really want to be tasting this long after I'd drank it).

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Quite smooth and crisp, feels light in the mouth with moderate to high carbonation. If it had some nice taste it would go down easily.

Drinkability - 2.5
In my younger years I could easily have swilled two sixpacks of this from the bottle. Now that I have consideration for my tastebuds, I'd rather not have a second.

OVERALL - 2.25
I had heard bad things about this beer before reviewing, but I have tried to be as objective as I can. Not the worst beer I've ever tried, this is not really offensive, moreso bland with a little unappealing taste. I'm sure this would be just as good from the bottle, but at $4 each, this is a total rip-off in Australia, and I will probably never drink it again.

08-25-2007 11:28:19 | More by LittleCreature
malibujohnny

3.28/5  rDev +45.8%

First thing's first,i basically grew up with this beer and it followed me all through high school.Thanks to my grandpa and dad for that.When i'm not in the mood for a higher priced great craft brew i find myself buying this beer often...can only.It is your typical big brew beer...rice,little malt smell,etc. This beer for me is great on a warm day out at the lake cooking out and relaxing and thats about it. I'm sure my childern will pick up on this beer too,after sneaking some from the fridge,and feel the same way i do abuot it.

08-25-2007 03:53:03 | More by malibujohnny
JOaikido

Quebec (Canada)

2.63/5  rDev +16.9%

355 ml clear bottle.

A- Clear golden yellow. White head of large bubbles. Head dissappears quickly but leaves some lacing. Moderate bubbliness.

S- Slightly skunked. pale malt. Citrussy hops. Grain.

T- Crisp and clean light lager taste. Not much flavour, but somehow doesn't taste like water either. Hops faint but noticeable with tastes of citrus and grassy herbs. Some graininess. The elements of the flavour don,t quite come together to make a good whole. A bit off really.

MF- Crisp, light bodied. Above average for an American macro lager.

D- Refreshing. easy to drink but od limited interest because of blah aroma and flavour.

08-02-2007 16:47:49 | More by JOaikido
shirfan

2.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Fizzy gold with a strangely retentive snow white head.

Aroma of mild malts is tainted by fruity and cooked veggie DMS tones.

Taste is very light and sweet on the tongue. Some corn comes through but it's a fresh, on-the-cob flavor rather than husky. Hops in the finish just at the threshold of detectability.

Mouthfeel is average, there's a slightly disconcerting "slidy" feeling on the tongue. Still, easy enough to drink.

A very average lawnmower beer. Passes the "would you drink it if it's cold and free?" test.

07-31-2007 22:04:12 | More by shirfan
brendan13

Australia

2.7/5  rDev +20%

A - Very light straw colour with quite a large head that quickly falls away to a thin whisp.
S - Sweet cereal grain aroma, bit of corn that becomes more pronounced as the beer gets warmer.
T - Again sweet graininess. A bit of bittering hops.
M - Medium bodied and highly carbonated.
D - Drinkable if no other options are available.

07-29-2007 07:12:26 | More by brendan13
dustylong

3.33/5  rDev +48%

First of all, I must admit, MGD is one of my favorite macro lagers. I try not do drink them, but if I do, I like to drink MGD. Now, that being said...Pours a darker yellow color with a quickly dissipating head (poured from a bottle into a pint glass). Smells like a typical macro, mostly of corn, grains, and alcohol. The taste is fairly light, especially to those who appreciate much better beer. Though, for the style, definitely one of the better, more pronounced beers. Light in the mouth, and easy to drink, although lacking in taste (all typical of the style). I guess it's kind of like that saying about winning the special Olympics... in the end you're still a retard. In conclusion, if I drink macro lager, I try to drink MGD, because it has one of the better/stronger tastes..

07-28-2007 06:49:07 | More by dustylong
giblet

2.48/5  rDev +10.2%

i like this beer. it is fairly decent for a light beer for bbq and lawnmowing. clear bottles are a bad idea. gold color. decent head and carbonation. grainy smell and taste.

very refreshing on a hot day.

cheap and easy to find. not bad for a macro.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

07-27-2007 17:22:52 | More by giblet
Slatetank

1.35/5  rDev -40%

Poured into an Alaskan Summer Ale glass.

A - A transparent straw color w/ a 3 finger sudsy white head

S - Adjuncts mostly corn in the nose. Gives of a cooked vegetable smell that is overly sweet.

M - Extremely carbonated and light. So much like alka-seltzer it leaves the mouth feeling dry. There is a smidge of light malt in there when I focus very hard.

T - The lager has very little actual beer taste. I think the canned version is smoother, but it still has very little malt flavor. I consider it a palate cleanser with it's carbonation overruling the adjunct heavy - light on taste beer.

D - It is better than some light beers I'm sure, but barely. It can be refreshing if you quaff it after chopping trees or digging holes, maybe. I will not return to this unless there is no other option.

07-17-2007 02:19:11 | More by Slatetank
Spikester

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev +37.8%

From a clear 12 ounce long-neck bottle. Pours pale yellow with a 1" head, some lacing. Aroma is mild, corny, some slight metallic note.
Taste is mild malts with just the slightest hop taste in the finish. Mouthfeel is on the watery end of the spectrum. The biggest plus is drinkability. Good values abound in this arena.

07-13-2007 21:40:48 | More by Spikester
Gmann

1.88/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours a clear straw color with a small soapy head that dissipated quickly, leaving no cap. Left some nice lacing on the side of the glass. The smell is of corn, grain. The taste has an artificial sweetness flavor and corn, some metallic aftertaste. The feel is watery, not overly carbonated and a bit astringent. Its a fine cooler beer but nothing that I would look for.

07-04-2007 18:51:53 | More by Gmann
millerguy81

3.8/5  rDev +68.9%

Draft beer in a bottle is as good as it gets with MGD. Goes down smooth and tastes great. Nothing fancy, this is a great bbq beer. Throw some burgers on the grill, crack open an MGD and have a great day out in the sun.

Not the best beer made by Miller, but a great cold filtered brew.

06-30-2007 03:01:19 | More by millerguy81
cyrenaica

Ontario (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev +28.9%

This is my favourite American beer. I tried it a few times here in Canada (brewed by Molson under license) and was pleasantly surprised. After moving to Memphis Tennessee, I tried it there, and was even more pleasantly surprised, an American brewed beverage that was better than it's Canadian brewed counterpart (unlike Budwesier, Coors, Coors Light, and Miller High Life). This is the one American beer I come back to from time to time.

The aroma is pleasant with some slight malty tones. The colour is a light golden colour similar to straw. The taste is slightly malty with some grassy undertones. It is very crisp on the tongue with some mild carbonation. A nice refreshing beer for an American macrobrew.

06-25-2007 03:11:14 | More by cyrenaica
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

2.05/5  rDev -8.9%

When I was visiting my girlfriend's family in Winnipeg I got stuck twice with only MGD on offer. I realized that this beer is drinkable only when ice cold cause it warms up the nasty corn flavours creep out and the finish goes sweet. The clear bottle and piss colour only add to the bad appearance. Makes me realize how much I like Carib or PBR as versions of this style

06-20-2007 04:27:14 | More by canucklehead
AlexLMS

Portugal

1.38/5  rDev -38.7%

First of all I don’t like the transparent bottle. Second: this is not my type of beer, but anyway here I go…

Appearance: clear with a medium gold color. The head is white, low and fades quickly without a trace of lacing.
Aroma: very light aroma (kind of malty if I try really hard).
Taste: adjuncty. No hops.
Mouthfeel: dry, gassy, low alcoholic strength.
Finish: kind of a metallic aftertaste. Very short (fortunately!).

Overall: Nothing there. I certainly will not have another one.

06-18-2007 18:28:16 | More by AlexLMS
neenerzig

2.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Tried a can of this for free recently on my recent Florida vacation. I certainly would never pay for this beer. Poured into a pint glass. This beer is a clear, light gold color. The head is a good 1/2 inch when poured before settling to 1/4 inch. Surprisingly good head retention after it settles. Never would have though MGD would have this good head retention. Very little lacing though. The smell is tinny, or aluminum like with a trace of grain, malt, hops and maybe some corn or other vegetable abstract. Has an uninteresting, slightly sweet malty taste with maybe just the slightest hint of hops. Fairly bland taste overall. Has a crisp mouthfeel with a light body and fairly heavy carbonation. Easy to drink, but not in the way a good beer should be. Nothing special here.

Eric

06-15-2007 19:07:33 | More by neenerzig
kmacphail

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.9/5  rDev -15.6%

OK so this is not my type of drink at all, but I was given a bottle whilst visiting somebody's house and I had to be polite.

The lager poured a light yellow colour with a light frothy head that materialised into nothing after a few seconds. The fragrences were non existant, just a smell of weak hops and nothing else.

This theme then continued through to the taste, bland with a very wattery mouthfeel. This was an advantage as it could be finished quite quickly. So that made it slightly drinkable, but why would I want to put myself through that again.

06-06-2007 15:22:46 | More by kmacphail
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.35/5  rDev +4.4%

So I usually have craft beers, but I was at a party and had to choose between Dos XX and MGD. I went with the American, er, S.African, brew.
Bottle, clear glass doesn't hide the pale yellow/gold beer. Head wasn't much, a bit frothy but did not last long. Smell of grains, malt and something off-sweet. Not sure.
Tastes the same as any other macro, but just a bit richer in...rice, grain? Something. A bit thicker than Bud or PBR.
Drank quite well after convincing myself this was the better option. Goes down fast and was good for the party, I didn't have to think about it.

06-04-2007 15:33:22 | More by Mebuzzard
wcudwight

1.2/5  rDev -46.7%

This beer is curtousy of another BA who will remain nameless.
Sampled straight from the clear glass bottle.
I simply can't give anything that looks like piss a higher rating than 1 for appearance. The head, lace, ect... is irrelavant. This beer looks like urine!
This beer smells like the corn I use to catch trout on a hot summer day.
Taste is malty and sweet. More flavor than your typical macro lager, but that's not a good thing here. Very harsh sour apple aftertaste that lingers. I wish it would go away.
I must admit that Miller hit the carbonation head on with this beer. Nicely carbonated which gives it a crisp mouthfeel.
I strongly feel that if you want something this light in body and flavor...something refreshing...on a hot summer day...do the Christian thing, drink water.
Oh well, it's off to the drain with this one.
As a side note. This beer does pair well with microwavable Ore Ida Bagel Bites.

05-16-2007 03:21:45 | More by wcudwight
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.