Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
2.28/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A 500ml clear glass bottle with a BB of Feb 2011, so it's a few weeks out of date. Picked up cheap from my local offie. Label states that this was brewed in the EU under licence from Miller.

Poured into a Sam Smith's pint glass. A clear golden colour with light carbonation. Almost no head - a thin layer of white foam that disappears within seconds of pouring. Faint aroma of light malt and a hint of solvent.

The taste is clean but weak. Light malt with mild sweetness and a slight solvent note upon swallowing. Hints of corn. No discernible hops aroma or bitterness. Mouthfeel is smooth but watery, and lacks crispness due to the low carbonation. Virtually no aftertaste.

Incredibly boring - bland and flavourless. It's dull to look at and has little aroma, taste or body. Amazing to think that this is one of the best selling brands in the US. Avoid - there are so many better beers out there.

1.98/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Very clear and fully carbed. White fizzy head moderate lacing.

S: Smells like cereal.

T: has a very thin flavor that leaves you flat by the end. Not much happening here.

M: very crisp, due to the high carbonation and thin body.

D: After having a few quality craft beers you could probably go through a case of this stuff.

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

I'm low on money this evening so I might as well take some time to review one of the big 3's hallmark beers.

Poured from a 24 oz. can into a 16 oz. pint glass.

The appearance is a weak grainy yellow. A really light foamy head forms. It has some significant bubbles but it is dissipating rapidly. It's not super highly carbonated. There is some light foam sticking to the side of the glass. This really epitomizes the cheap fizzy lager most Americans were used to drinking until the craft beer movement emerged in the 80's. '

A light corn smell which hardly masks the alcohol. There is a smell of lemon pine-sol or cheap air freshener. A light spicy quality which I find pleasing. Slightly balmy. More pilsner than lager.

The taste is less offensive than the poorly balanced smell. I don't taste much alcohol. What I taste is a mild fizzy concoction of cheap malts (corn) with a somewhat sweet artificial lemon finish. I also get hints of sour candy.

The balance is okay. It is slightly fizzy. The beer isn't as offensive as I thought it would be. A somewhat metallic tinge on the tongue doesn't develop a lot of body.

I would prefer not to drink this often but I don't think I'd turn one down if I was in want of a beer and low on cash. It isn't the worst thing I've ever had. I'd rather get a light buzz from this than resort to drinking certain wretched malt liquors just because of the higher ABV.

3.1/5  rDev +38.4%

appearence- A light golden clear straw color with a 1 finger soapy head.

smell- I really dont get much on the smell but i do get a slight bit of corn.

taste- All i can say pretty much is that it is very refreshing with a slight i mean slight bitter and dry aftertaste. If it was on a summer day you could slug these back NO problem.

mouthfeel- Its very light with a medium to high carbonation.

Overall this is the best adjunct lager ive had. Good on a summer day to slug down. IM GRADING THIS ON A MACRO LAGER SCALE AND ITS A GOOD ONE FOR THE STYLE.

1.8/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours a very clear golden color with a thick white head and no lacing. Smells of corn adjuncts and sweetness, very bland. Tastes much the same of sweet corn, light malts, and overall very common to light shit of its style. Thick carbonation. Overall it is pretty trashy.

1.6/5  rDev -28.6%

Appearance: Light, pale golden color with lots of effervescence.

Smell: Bland, sweet, grainy aroma.

Taste: Yuck. Like drinking carbonated high-fructose corn syrup. A very off-putting taste that I just can not get past.

Mouthfeel: Watery....just watery & thin.

Drinkability: Seriously. If this is the only beer available...I'll take a soft drink or iced tea. For me...this is not drinkable.

2.53/5  rDev +12.9%

Served in a chilled glass

Appearance - beer pours a clear crisp ale colour. There is some good carbonation levels and a nice white fluffy head. Lacing is occurring, although minimal.

Smell - this is a blah smelling beer, nothing out of the world. Some grains and maybe corn syrup, the beer doesnt offer a lot of smell features.

Taste - The one word i would use to describe the taste is "fresh". this is a light tasting, not too dynamic beer that offers freshness.

Mouthfeel - Beer does add some dancing to the tongue, but not much. overall its still a fresh tasting beer.

Drinkability - If i want to plow through a dozen beers, MGD would be on my list of beers to use!

2.78/5  rDev +24.1%

Slammed back one of these this past weekend with a few hot dogs at Coney Island in Worcester, MA. Looks like a standard macro - pale yellow color and lots of carbonation. Smell was sorta like a cross between lettuce and rice. Taste was mostly bland but wasn't super offensive or anything like that. Mouthfeel was decent, as it was smooth going down. A drinkable beer in my mind. Nothing horrible flavor-wise, and tastes a bit better than Bud. A bbq beer or party beer if nothing else is available.

1.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Clear golden yellow.

Grainy, corn, and an earthy kind of skunky note in the smell.

Lots of grain and corn in the flavor, punctuated by a skunky and metallic aftertaste. Not really appealing.

Mouthfeel light to average.

Miller High Life has this one beat, as do thousands of other beers. Not my favorite macro lager.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

355ml bottle poured into pint glass jan30 2011

A clear straw yellow with a short lived finger of head that left no lace

S sweet corn with a little lemon and faint skunk

T some sour honey on top of what I smell

M thin and watery but with enough bubbles to keep it from feeling dead

D not the best flavors but not the worst either, I could finish it without problems so things could be worse

pretty basic beer going on here, flavors being a little faint my be helping its cause

2.4/5  rDev +7.1%

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. I rated this high in drinkability because I think you can drink your own weight of this stuff.

2.42/5  rDev +8%

A- faint yellow, 1 finger up and down head, no lacing.

S- sweet corn and grain, mild earthiness.

T- big sweet corn, hint of grain, mild metallic-like bitter finish.

M- very light, big carbonation.

D- This is alcoholic water. In a pinch, not wanting to insult friends, it's better than Bud...not saying much.

2.08/5  rDev -7.1%

Straw coloured & crystal clear with almost no head & a couple bubbles rising to the surface.

Pretty much no aroma here, just a clean chemical & grain like smell that you have to struggle to detect at all.

Quite bland with grain, corn & cereal dominating the mix. Not much else to report really. It's not unpleasant but does lack flavour.

Very light bodied & incredibly smooth & easy to drink. Also has a slight tang that isn't too unpleasant.

Not up to much compared with most other beers reviewed here. In it's favour is that it is cheap & not unpleasant. About on par with most other mass-market pale lagers.

More at:

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

Was at a place with a line-up of macros for lunch and I realized I haven't had an MGD in years. May as well give it a shot. Having it on tap avoids issus of the beer being skunky at least.

Pours a golden yellow colour with a finger of white foamy head. No lacing, but head retention was pretty good. Smells quite grainy with a hint of grassy hops. Flavour is incredibly clean, I'm surprised I'm enjoying this when I fully expected to hate it. Enjoying doesn't mean it is good, but it isn't awful either. Much smoother mouthfeel than many macro lagers. I would take this over Canadian, Blue, etc.

1.6/5  rDev -28.6%

This is the official cheap beer of my hood. Every party that I went to back in the day had cases of MGD. Coolers filled to the rim with those gold cans and bottles surrounded by ice.
MGD is like all other macros, but it has a little more behind. It's a tad dryer, pretty smooth and very chuggable.
I'm reviewing this beer because of the place it holds in my heart. We all need a measuring stick when it comes to tasting beer and I use this beer to set my taste-o-beer meter at 1. All of my friends thought the stuff is delicious, but I never got it's appeal.

1.35/5  rDev -39.7%

This beer looks smells and tastes bad. Would not suggest this for anyone. It must taste good to some people or it would not be around. It is like most Miller products, just bad. wish I had something good to say about it really can't think of anything.

1.93/5  rDev -13.8%

And to think this was my go-to beer when I turned 21!

A- Thin, pale, yellow with thin white lacing, poor retention, and very little lacing.

S- Very faint hints of corn, and grain...no hops

T- Same as the smell, corn and grain with metallic notes and hints of vinegar.

M- Thin and watery

D- Off flavors make this watery beer undeserving of even the word refreshing.

1.55/5  rDev -30.8%

How much back story does one really need. My friend brought this one to our beer tasting Christmas party, and we cracked it open just to give more perspective.

A - Clear with a tiny bit of yellow like the sweat from a sick camel. Fizy for a few moments then quickly dies down not unlike a urinal related experience.

S - Thank the maker there aren't many smells. Corn and aluminum plus something sour.

T - Watery. Vinegar...(like the kitchen cleaner not like the kind you put on fish'n'chips)

M - So flat so watery. Sad. I can feel this beer weeping at it's fate. "Why beer gods? why was i made so weak and thin?", it's saying.

D - this is a sad beer there is nothing draft about this. It's genuinely bad but that's all.
This beer served it's purpose today well. It reminded us just how great a great beer can be and just how bad a bad beer can be. Compared to a fine Belgian ale this is a stark contrast. Now lets dump the rest of this beer into the soup and bring out an ale please.

Consumed straight from the 40oz bottle. Clear golden color, small amount of foam that quickly dissipates after tipping the bottle.

Tastes malty, but no hops note. Very crisp, clean, and refreshing. This one goes down great! No aftertaste.

I would most likely "swill" this one again if I was going for a 40oz beer rather than a stronger malt liquor.

1.05/5  rDev -53.1%

Poured all head initially, but that gradually dissipated to a soap suds lopsided dollop of head. Straw yellow in color. Smell has both malt and I'd dare say vinegar. Luckily taste doesn't have vinegar, but then again taste doesn't have much of anything except water, a little corn, a hint of bitter. Frankly it's a forget about it beer, one you swig like a glass of water.

This was one of the first brands I tried when I hit drinking age and I got a six pack now just to retry after 20+ years. I can't believe I've got 5 more of these I have to use up.

2.45/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from the 24oz can into a pint glass and paired with a taco bell burrito.

A: Very carbonated light gold with a 2 finger slightly off-white head that had surprisingly good retention.

S: A slight soapy character is offputting for a moment but then just foamy "beery" smell. Very light.

T: At first almost literally no taste, but then a bit of sweetness. Finishes with a weird cornbread character and a light dryness.

Notes: Not actually too bad (just tasteless), but I would actually prefer a plain Budweiser over this.

1.38/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale, pale yellow color with a fizzy head that dissipates rapidly.

Sweet corn and grain along with a light rubbing alcohol presence at the end.

God awful taste of artificial sweetener, canned corn and white rice. Nasty aspartame aftertaste as well.

The feel is actually not as thin as one would think. The carbonation isn't bottom of the barrel either. Somewhat smooth with a cottony dry finish.

The worst part about this beer is the taste and that is all that you really need to know. Avoid this one at all costs.

1.23/5  rDev -45.1%

A- Yellow, similar to urine if you are slightly dehydrated.

S- Skunk, adjuncts, typical macro smell

T- Like the smell, although its a bit bland, a little alcohol.

M- thin, watery

D- None.

Even way back when I knew nothing about good beer at all, I still couldn't stomach this beer. And that says a lot. Horrible stuff.

1.4/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I don't have a lot of respect for brewers that bottle their hard work in a clear bottle. I guess they are not very proud of this one...neither am I. I tried to get a head during the pour, but even with all my talent, no luck. This brew is a light yellow color, rating a 3 on the SRM chart. One of the lightest brews I have seen. Smells like wet straw and rice. The taste is a little better than the smell, because there is less of it. Rice and wet wheat are the predominate tastes, with a little malt, no bite at all. Mouthfeel is bland, almost like the beer takes something away, leaving a hole. This is another lawn work beer...I would rather do yard work than drink this beer.

2.53/5  rDev +12.9%

Purchased draft in a frosted mug at Boston Pizza. I had had one too many expensive Sam Adams at this point.

A: Straw yellow, clear and surprisingly nice lacing
S: Corn, vegetal & light spiciness (perhaps from hops?). Nothing special here, not real malt on the nose
T: Just like these lagers claim they should be when ice cold. The beer was crisp & clean without any major flavour protruding (how is this a positive feature?) with some light corn & sweetness poking through.
M: Strong carbonation that is prickly, and detracts from its flavours (although some may view this positively)
D: Enjoyable, yet strong vegetal flavours & aromas take away form my ability & desire to have another, even after drinking a few...

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.