Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz can poured into an Indiana Jones pint glass.

From the get go, this stuff looks like dark yellow piss. While much darker than a light lager, nonetheless this stuff has a pretty dark color to it. There's absolutely no head whatsoever and sits flat in the glass. Definitely nothing pleasing about its appearance.

The smell is high in corn, and fairly weak malts. Nothing more and nothing less. It smells like a typical non-light lager that's totally ready for immediate consumption.

Taste is somewhat bitter with wisps of corn and wet malts. There's really nothing to this beer whatsoever except quick, watered down tastes for nothing. Not really tasty at all.

Mouthfeel is pretty weak, thin and non-existent. No froth or foam at all and the flavors die pretty quickly. Pretty weak.

Drinkability is kinda whatever. If you're in a pinch, this isn't a bad choice for cheap stuff, but aside from that, I'd steer clear of this stuff and save up for something better.

Getinthevan, Sep 04, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -22.8%

Bottle. Swill golden colored, not much head or lacing to speak of. Some earthy, dusty flavor with corn and some semi-sweet malts. Tastes like so many others in the same swill category, which means I don't really like it. Drink it if you must but I wouldn't recommend.

changeup45, Aug 23, 2008
2.3/5  rDev +2.7%

24oz can to standard pint glass, pours a crystal golden shade with foamy white head, heavy carbonation, head fades to lacing

smells of corn, light malts, metallic

tastes of high carbonation, adjuncts/cooked vegetables, crisp, slightly dry, hops are very very light, slight sweetness, easy to drink and light

mouthfeel is highly carbonated and crisply dry, nothing special here at all..

ehh

drxandy, Aug 17, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +60.7%

Look: Poured 22 oz cup from US Cellular Field. Bright golden color, great pour by vendor, no foam at all! Good carbonation.

Smell: Lots of grains, wheat and corn, malts and hops.

Taste: Good clean malty feel. Really smooth, very fresh, and lots of grains and hops.

Mouthfeel: Very thin, almost nothing left in your mouth after you finished.

Drink: Very good and easy. Overall good job MGD, much better than the way it tasted.

NOOGIE, Aug 16, 2008
2.17/5  rDev -3.1%

P- a 12oz clear bottle.

A- pours crystal clear (+), feint light straw color, the foamy white head lasted longer than I expected (+) and soapy lacing.

S- reminded me of rainy Summerfest pavement :), yeasty bread-like aroma, minimal malt, grainy (--), non-existent hop profile (--).

T- breadlike up front, more of a sour finish than bitter (--), a bit watery (--), balanced but really weak flavor of blah (--).

M- light-medium bodied, fizzy like soda (-), refreshing like water which makes me wonder (-)...

D- well its refreshing on a hot day, but there are far better flavored refreshing beers to enjoy over this one, flavor isn't enough to make anyone come back for more than just a memory of what life was like before Beeradvocate.

Tailored for mass consumption and value... flavor is less than enjoyable, save this one for the starving college kids who use it purely for buzzing (Go Badgers!).

Sticket, Aug 13, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +45.1%

A- Poured this out of the clear bottle from the pack that I picked up in the States (much cheaper than here in Canada!). Gave a hard pour into a pint glass...didn't give much other than a quick fizzy head that dissapeared fast into a thin ring around the glass. Color is quite straw like and very clear. Nothing special here, however, the bright spot in this area is the lacing which surprisingly sticks around.

S- This area is the worst for me because quite frankly, this smells of raw grains and is somewhat skunky, not my favorite smell in a beer...at least it has a smell I guess! This reminds me of the smell I've experienced around harvest time in the area I live, which is dusty and of dry grass.

T- For a macro, I actually would put this 2nd, next to my beloved Keith's! It's got a decent malty taste, but the hops are virtually non-existant...just the very slightest of bitterness. I can taste a mild yeast flavor, as I would when having a little bit of raw dough. There is definately a clean flavor, with aftertastes of corn coming through. There is definitely more to the flavor of this beer, due to the cold filtering it endures.

M- I probably like this so much because as clean and crisp as this is, it is also very smooth. It has a body that leans more towards medium and this is evident when I swirl it around as well.

D- Full marks here, as I have had this on tap at my favorite pub and I do like it better on draft, however either way I could drink this all evening or any time really. It's a good summer beer and schooners are usually on special at the pub, which is always a good thing. I recommend this brew for anyone entering the world of beer!

ChrisCage, Aug 11, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -15.2%

Free swill at a golf outing today so I thought I can finally rate this. Had it in all forms many times throughout my life. For swill, Miller is decent and MGD is alright in my book. Light aroma nothing to note, medium golden color, mouthfeel is adequate for what you get, and the flavor is a little more bold than Bud. Overall drinkable but nothing to get excited about.

kinger, Aug 07, 2008
2.25/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Another round of my Bad Brew Review series.

A. Can out of my friends fridge.

S. Some grains, faint whiff of hops?

T. Wow. Not terrible like I thought. Not good mind you, but a much better macro lager than the other miller offerings. A spare hop or two must of fallen in, I got some grassy bitters on the palate, to go along with the nearly non-existant malt and cereal grains.

M. Thin and watery.

D. In desperate measures, I can drink this brew. Sad but true. Better than the other BMC offerings.

Stinkypuss, Aug 07, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +57.6%

I dig it. Far better than Budweiser in my opinion, and a much tastier beer to have at a party than some crappy light beer like Miller, Bud, or Coors Light, but just as drinkable as one of those. It's not a great beer, but it isn't bad, especially considering it's status as a macro. I'll drink a bunch of em'.

sofingraw, Aug 05, 2008
2.42/5  rDev +8%

Well, pretty bland American Macro. It only ranks up there as I like to smooth drinkability. I prefer this to a regular Bud personally. Hey give it a try, who knows, you might like it? Price is pretty mild so this is easy on the budget, I'll get this at a restaurant if there isn't much else of a selection.

klintok21, Aug 05, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +19.6%

kind of blaut and and grainey, no hop character at all. not real good but at 88 degres pluss all day, and watching the yankees play at yankee stadioum 3 of theese went down smooth. drank out of 16 oz plastic bottels, it was real fresh but 8.50 for a beer is a bit insane!!!

orcasteve, Jul 30, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -4%

Color is a typical clear straw yellow with a white head, nothing special. Aroma is crisp but weak, rather typical of an American macro lager. Flavor is malty and crisp but has no complexity or depth. Finish is no different from any other major brew I have tried.

Cyberkedi, Jul 27, 2008
2.25/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance: Clear straw (pale) yellow. Half inch of head that quickly diminished to a skim. Very light lacing though.

Smell: Little (actually none) hop presence. Hint of sweet green apple. Slightly metalic smell.

Taste: Not much on taste, but, then again, nothing nasty either - other than that faint sweet taste of green apple.

Mouthfeel: Weak and thin. Lots of carbonation

Drinkability: These beers may typically get higher drinkability scores, but with that taste and high carbonation, couldn't do it.

Haybeerman, Jul 14, 2008
2.3/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Pours the same color of the Heineken I just poured earlier, which is to say a clear and golden straw, but the head just outlasts it in lasting ability but not really impressive looking at all, all loose and soapy.

S: Smells far worse than the Heineken though cooked vegetables and corn, really just not nice, at least the Heine had some semblance of malt character. Better leave this one in the can.

T/MF: Light and fizzy mouthfeel mildly chewy but mostly loose and watery with a slight spritzy carbonated feel. Taste is weak at best, slight huskyness but mostly dominated by corn, rice and cooked vegetables.

D: Pretty easy to drink but out of the can it really tastes a lot less crisp and the flaws really begin to show, but just another boring macro easy drunk drinker.

bluemoonswoon, Jul 09, 2008
2.35/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Piss yellow. Actually, a tad paler than that.

S: Hello? Hello? Anyone home? Doesn't seem like it. The faintest of the faint aromas.

T: Again, I'm still searching. What is there isn't bad, but there is hardly any of it to speak of.

M: Quite smooth, very slick and the carbonation does not become out of control. Not bad, but not worthy of a parade.

D: Full to empty in no time. This is one of the easiest beers to drink I have come across.

assmasterson, Jul 09, 2008
2.88/5  rDev +28.6%

Appearance: Yellow, good carbonation, fading head.

Smell: Sweet grain.

Taste: Light sweet bread flavor. No hops to my taste buds.

Mouthfeel: Light and bubbly.

Drinkability: Easy to throw back a few.

This was the first beer I regularly drank in college many years ago. I snuck this one home from softball to review. It's not terrible for a macro but I wouldn't have too many of them in a row.

Mdog, Jul 04, 2008
2.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Had a couple of these at Miller Park in Milwaukee.
Pretty nice looking golden color with a ton of carbonation. Looks better than the other macros for sure.
Smells really sweet and grainy. Reminds me a little of a sweetened corn breakfast cereal.
The taste is bland and reminds me of corn and unripened bananas.
Goes down easy enough, but the heavy carbonation really limits the drinkability on the whole. I felt bloated after only one.
Not terrible, but not good either. Better than Bud, but it's not as good as similar offerings like PBR, Stroh's, Schlitz, or even Miller's own High Life.

Domingo, Jun 30, 2008
1.7/5  rDev -24.1%

Thank God there were only four different Miller beers for me to find in Tobago. I bought all four at the same time, what a mistake to make! This one was marginally the best in a pretty crap bunch.

12oz can poured into a half pint tumbler it looked as pale and insipid as the 'Miller Lite' I'd just flushed down the toilet. The white head left before I had chance to look at it and if there was an aroma from the beer it didn't hang around long either.

There was a mild beer taste and more body than the other Miller products, but it is not an American brewery that I'll re-visit in a hurry.

BlackHaddock, Jun 24, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Pale, clear yellow. 1/2 inch of head falls quickly to a small film. Looks like the rest of them do. Actually has a little bit of lacing though.

S - Corn, some funky metallic aroma, and a weird sweet/tangy smell.

T - Almost nothing, more like a light lager. Wet paper, cardboard, old books, and old grits come to mind in the brief appearance of any sort of flavor. Very little going on here; the only thing keeping from dropping this to a 1.5 is that it's not really offensive.

M - Thin, not too watery, with expected high carbonation.

D - Usually I can at least give a bad beer a little boost with the drinkability because most of them are easy to down, but not MGD. It is in fact so bizarrely tasteless that I feel like I'm drinking water that someone ashed a cigarette in.

PatrickJR, Jun 20, 2008
2.95/5  rDev +31.7%

MGD pours a rich yellow, but has very little head retention. Everything has dissipated to a thin lacing across the top of the beer. To be fair, while it is 97 and getting hotter here in Tucson, any cold beer on a Saturday afternoon looks good.

Smells of malt, reminds me of casual beer nights with the boys. A far cry from anything fancy, but it was $12 for an 18 pack, and it smells like good, old fashioned American macro beer.

Tastes of malt, very little hops to speak of, maybe a little hops in the aftertaste, but nothing more than that, again, typical for lager. Although I am a huge fan of Pale Ale's, this just looked most refreshing for today, and it hits the spot, so maybe I'm biased today.

Smooth, surprisingly so. Not too much carbonation, not to thick, just right. Drinkability is up there for hot summer days, however, not something I'm going to regularly stock, as I normally just get a six pack of something better.

I like this beer because it reminds me of my roots in beer. It reminds me of the stuff my dad used to drink, the stuff I drank in college. It's a good return to my roots, but I don't want to live there again...

uabigdaz, Jun 07, 2008
2.98/5  rDev +33%

excellent clarity, pale straw color, some visible forced carbonation, light head that retains decently and a little bit of lace that sticks to the glass inconsistently. Looks like an American Lager.

not much aroma, a bit of sharp malt

a bit of corn again the sharp fermented grain flavor, there's a bit of sweetness in the background. There's a slightly perceptible hop bitterness that just does not offer any character to the beer except for some slight bittering but not enough to clean up the corn flavor that sits on your mouth. I find this to be just a mediocre flavored beer

light bodied but I wouldn't call it watery, fizzy no real astringence

I just don't find this interesting enough to drink on a regular basis. It's not offensive to me, but it's not that interesting either, and it works as a refresher.

Donnie2112, Jun 04, 2008
1.15/5  rDev -48.7%

Sad to say it was the best offered at a wedding reception I attended recently. I haven't tried one of these in years... and it will be a cold day in hell when I try one again. Typical and not at all impressive in color. Tasted flat and bland... offensive. I couldn't really say what it tasted like... It wasn't malt and it wasn't hops. Paper? Dryer lint? I'm not sure, but it wasn't something that was actually meant to be consumed.

Stay away. Even as a pale lager it is offensive. Go grab a PBR and be happy if you want to drink something from this style.

EDIT:

I finally figured out just how I'd like to review this beer.

A - Fizzy yellow with a decent amount of head. This is the best thing it has going for it. Clean and clear...full of carbonation.

Smell - At first I had trouble figuring out if it was the beer or if the glass had been wet and laid upside down on a damp towel. Sadly, it was the beer that smelled of mildew with only a slight malt-like aroma.

Taste - This is an afront to God. How anyone could stomach this beer is beyond me. It tasted of that wet towel mildew smell with a little bit of construction paper...if I remember the taste correctly from my youth. A complete lack of hops.

Drinkability - Absolutely none.

MayorAdamWest, Jun 01, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -18.3%

Can poured into a pint glass. Sickly pale yellow with a watery white head that dissipates like cola fizz. Doesn't really smell like anything, maybe a little sour corn. Tastes like corn flavored Perrier with a barley finish. Watery and unpleasant. Lots of carbonation, paper-thin body. Drinkable when ice cold.

illidurit, May 30, 2008
2.53/5  rDev +12.9%

A- standard clear golden color. like a nice dark piss. tightly bubbled pure white head has excellent retention... in a styrofoam cup. in a pint glass, the effect is quite different. nonetheless, MGD seems to have the best foam of any macro i've reviewed. score!

S- corn and rotting cooked sewage logged vegetables. ok maybe not sewage. more like old broccoli water. but honestly. other adjuncts as well, but it would be vanity trying to discern them. only pale malt and fillers in the aroma, no hops to speak of.

T- corn, cereal grains, and a strange artificial bitterness in the throat. if the flavor was more concentrated, it might be repulsive. thankfully, taste is very pale and diluted but the soft cereal aftertaste actually isn't all that bad. just short of 'pleasant'.

MF- a little too full to be called light, with the generous use of adjuncts, the body is slightly creamy and the styrofoam cup enhances this effect whereas the pint glass does not. medium high carbonation keeps things movin.

D- my little experiment definitely worked wonders for a beer so often hated. with this, and perhaps most american macros, STYROFOAM is the way to go! head lasts to the very end and mouthfeel is enhanced considerably. taste and aroma, well they pretty much stay the same.

hustlesworth, May 27, 2008
2.58/5  rDev +15.2%

I wouldn't have bought this beer to either drink or review, but it was available so why not do a review? I used to drink this beer in quantity some 25-30 years ago before I knew anything about beer. It was available then, along with a dozen other macros. I haven't had this in years. It isn't unpleasant when it is ice cold, in fact it is very mild and inoffensive. The surprise is in the appearance. Yes it is a straw pale yellow, or barely yellow, more like very watery pale gold, but it has a white head that retains better than I expected. It has a heap of carbonation. The smell is malty, cooked vegetables, adjunct, a bit of an iron chemical smell, but not bad really. The taste is so light, so refreshing, so inoffensive, and really making so little of a statement, that this beer is just a fine thirst quencher on a really hot day. The taste is a bit sourish as the beer warms, there is definitely cooked veggies, some straw flavors, hops are there in the background ... barely. You can't go wrong with this beer when it is cold. That's the key. Once this beer settles, I'm already getting some ugly tastes coming through. Enjoy it as a trip down memory lane, if it serves that purpose.

albern, May 24, 2008
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.