Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
jameaterblues

2.1/5  rDev -6.7%

So this isn't something that I would normally buy. I ended up with a 12 pack when my mom said that it would just sit at her house, and what did it do at mine, it just sat. Well the it pours a clear yellow color, with a small white head that lingers around the side of the glass. There really isn't much to the smell, I guess just beer smell nothing notable. Carbonation is slightly high, and there is not much taste grassy/corny kinda. This beer is kinda watery, and slight after taste but goes away fairly quickly. If you need a cheap beer this could be it? It washes down spicy food alright.

02-21-2006 07:11:16 | More by jameaterblues
hanco005

2.58/5  rDev +14.7%

There were 3 cans of this left in my bar fridge after the Super Bowl. I bought them for my father in law, thinking he would drink them all, but no. Thought I should review it since I hadn’t before. 12 oz mostly black can with gold trim poured into a pint glass.

A—pours a pale, yellow stray like color with about 1 inch bright white foamy head. The head quickly fizzles away, no lacing left on the glass

S—somewhat sweet and grassy/hay aromas

T—mild grains with nothing really dominate

M—thin and watery, lots of carbonation though

D—It’s ok, not disgusting or anything to slam about it, but not one I would drink by choice. When I have had this in the past, it is because it is the beer of choice for my father in law and its what he stocks in his fridge (I have learned to bring my own instead) I will leave the other two cans for him…

02-09-2006 19:11:54 | More by hanco005
DaveFL1976

1.78/5  rDev -20.9%

Don't ask why I'm drinking one of these in Australia. It's free. With a vigorous pour, MGD has a snow-white, fluffy head that actually sticks to the side of the glass a bit. It does settle down really quick and is reduced to a white film in short order. Not really much to look at.
The beer is light gold. Almost straw. Aroma is that of cardboard and corn. No hops at all. Mo malt at all. Just cardboard and corn.
Taste is almost not there. A little sweet. Corny. No evidence of natural malt or hops. Doesn't taste like a real beer. No aftertaste, either.
Mouthfeel's not too bad. Creamy and mouthfilling. It's only redeemable quality. Drinkability isn't great unless you're in the mood for corn on the cob.

01-30-2006 06:00:01 | More by DaveFL1976
maddamish

Tennessee

1.85/5  rDev -17.8%

Medium head that quickly disappears. Lacing is spotty.

The smell is rancid. It smells like swamp gas. I am going to assume it is from the can but with Miller, who knows?
The best way to describe this brew is "sugar water with a slight watermelon taste". This is a very sweet tasting beer hence it's gloss on the can "The Champagne of Beers!".

Overall not bad for a macro but nothing exciting going on here.

Notes: Shared with my old man at the kitchen table. He buys whatever is cheapest and I take the opportunity to review bad beer. I look at it this way. I wish the old man would buy better beer, but I get to review beer I normally wouldn't buy anyways.

01-25-2006 12:15:18 | More by maddamish
Wasatch

Utah

2.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a darker yellow, some carbonation, very small head, some lacing afterwards. Scent is malty and sweet. I like the taste for a macro, finishes kinda clean too. Medium body. Drinkable. This is my best American macro of the Big 3 I guess. When you can get a 12-pack for $5.99 it's not too bad, lol

01-23-2006 17:44:21 | More by Wasatch
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev +19.1%

It was yellow, not much head. smelled like corn. tasted like corn, rather unimpressive, pretty corny. Carbonation was not overly abundant but it was very watery. Makes it really easy to drink. This is not something I'd go out of my way to drink again, but I would recommend it to pretty much anyone who wants to get drunk off their ass with little or no effort.

01-12-2006 04:05:29 | More by funkengruven
scottum

Vermont

Pours out amber with a lame sickly fizzed out headskie. Tastes like an American Macro Lager, suprise suprise. Cheap, sweet, and watery tasting, but still better than Bud. Kinda on the fizzy side. I got through the glass though. Nothing special at all, but I wasn't really expecting this revisit to wow me. I'll stick to the craft beer thank you.

01-11-2006 22:01:41 | More by scottum
casualbeerman

2.75/5  rDev +22.2%

This is a little below average. I think MGD is the best of the "Big 3", but of course that is not saying much. It's got a little more body, color, and flavor than Bud or Coors, its not quite as bitter as Coors Origional, and no where near as nasty as Bud. Depending on when I drink it, I get different things out of it. I swear the first time I drank this out of a glass bottle the hops tasted like Jose Cuervo. Oh well, anyway the usual experience is a little sweetness up front but kind of watered down. Then come the hops which could be worse but are kind of bitter and tend towards that wierd chemical flavor that comes from Miller using cheap ingredients. Its kind of fizzy and the though sometimes the head will stick around a while, its always strangely light. Drinkability is average. This isn't a heavy beer, and its never disgusting. But once again, the aftertaste sure does get old after a while. How good is MGD? Good enough that I gladly drink it when its free. How bad is MGD? Well lets see I've bought MGD with my own money... well, never.

01-01-2006 07:40:23 | More by casualbeerman
willgro

MGD is terrible. It is not the worst thing in the world, and the Brits love it, but it is not good. It has no finish and can taste like a horses ass if you haven't downed 15. It is cheap, so I guess it has some admirable qualities, but the head disappears, it has a really weird aftertaste and no real flavors or complex anything going on.

12-25-2005 22:45:40 | More by willgro
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

2.28/5  rDev +1.3%

ahh yes, nothing like a plain old macro lager to review.... especially ones as average as MGD is. My buddy usually brings over MGD, who am I to complain? It's free beer after all... And I can bitch about it on BA.

Pale straw coloured lager, poured from a 330ml clear bottle. Weak-looking fizzy head fades quickly, mildly carbonated. Smell is of sour corn malts, not much in the way of hoppiness in the nose. Smells like beer all right... Hits the tongue with an initial hoppiness, but as it slides down the throat sours quickly. I imagine I smell "beery" after about one sip of this. I feel beery, that's forsure. A bit of a soft mouthfeel, not enough bite for me. Weak American beer, but even so, in a pinch (which I always am with most of my family or friends) this'll have to do.

12-08-2005 01:28:51 | More by trevorwideman
sevineyes

Arkansas

2.2/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a clear glass bottle featuring a black label with "genuine draft" across the center.

A: Very pale clear and yellow. Poured with little head and that disappeared quickly. No lacing.

S: Somewhat skunked but has a definite malt smell. Seems like there's something in the smell that reminds me of canned vegetables, but I really can't put a finger on it.

T: Flavor is very sweet with some citrus (lemon) following. Finishes pretty dry with almost no aftertaste.

M: Carbonation. Exceedingly watery.

D: Nothing is exactly wrong with the drinkability of this, but nothing's really pulling me to have another either.

Overall: Flavor is definitely the high point for this beer,

11-27-2005 00:31:55 | More by sevineyes
Pepeton

2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Got this one in a friends house who invited me to meet his newborn. So how can I refuse a macro?

Straw yellow, little head and near to nothing lacing.

Smell is sweet, somes malts and maybe, only maybe, a hint of hops.

Taste is sweet, fizzy, adjuncts.

Mouthfeel is crisp, mildly bitter and with a dry finish.

This one was for free, the next will be also.

¡Salud!

11-08-2005 16:33:36 | More by Pepeton
jakester

2.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a light straw yellow, very fizzy, with a one finger head of white bubbles. Surprisingly, the head sticks around for a while, with decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is pretty strong DMS, light pils malt, with maybe a little spicy hops way in the back.

This tastes better than it smells. The flavor is pretty sweet, light bready pils malt, a matching level of hop bitterness, and maybe a faint spicy/citrus hop flavor. Aftertaste is short, sweet, and mostly flavorless.

Mouthfeel is watery and fizzy, with a sharp zing across the tongue from carbonation. Finish is a short lived fizziness.

Pretty much a standard American fizzy yellow flavorless lager. The smell is really bad, but the flavor is OK for what it's supposed to be. I certainly wouldn't buy this, but at a wedding reception, it was fun to review.

10-30-2005 12:57:14 | More by jakester
evanackerman

2.55/5  rDev +13.3%

this is another macro i decided to try just for the sake of having tried it, it is quite boring, i don't really know what to say about it. poured a straw yellow color with a ton of carbonation. smell was very strange, for some reason it smelled like raw chicken to me, not very appetizing. taste was almsot non existent except for a bit of astringent graininess. mouthfeel was thin and a bit astringent, drinkability is high due to waterlike qualities.

just another faceless macro that doesn't distinguish itself in any way from the masses.

10-29-2005 23:46:45 | More by evanackerman
AltBock

2.8/5  rDev +24.4%

I got this on-tap for only .90 a 12oz.

I thought this beer was going to taste and smell like nothing, boy was I wrong. Poured a clear yellow color with a white head of foam that dissipated quickly. At first the only aroma was alcohol, but when I swirled it around, I got some kind of a fruit smell in the background. The taste was average, but it had just a little bit more flavor than most average macros. This was another beer that the mouthfeel was a bit too watery and thin for me. If you can this as cheap as me, then it's worth it.

10-28-2005 02:45:28 | More by AltBock
nekronos

2.98/5  rDev +32.4%

NOw, this is what I was talking about, perhaps the worst beer I have ever tried. The tatse is like drinking a tire. And the mouthfeel is the worst, because you can feel it even after 5 years. Believe me, you do not want to mess with this beer, if you dirnk it, it will get even with your worst beer dreams.

10-20-2005 13:57:53 | More by nekronos
NJpadreFan

2.05/5  rDev -8.9%

Miller Genuine Draft

Getting ready to watch the NLS ( Cards/ Astros)
The only thing left in the fridge other than a budweiser. Beers my friends left behind.

Appearance- light yellowish orange with very little head. Very bubbly.
Smell- skunked malt. Sweet smelling, some hay and dry grass.
Taste- sweet and extremely watery light, very light, malt. Hints of skunkiness.
Mouthfeel- So watery. heavy on the carbonation.

Overall- Definitely not worth buying if you want a decent tasting Lager. This is a great beer drinking game beer. I would drink it if that was all there was at the party but I wouldn't be having a good time!

10-14-2005 00:01:24 | More by NJpadreFan
Daredevil

Switzerland

1.83/5  rDev -18.7%

Some years ago I made a one off business trip to Milwaukee and on a free afternoon me and my colleague went to visit the Miller brewery. I was a bit disappointed to learn that despite the German roots of the founders the Reinheitsgebot (Purity Law of 1516 stating that beer be made only from malt, hops and water) is not adhered to. Such is rarely a sign of quality and in the case of the big American brewers (AB, Miller, Coors) the reasons seem to be rather economic. No surprise then the brew is totally bland, watery and insignificant. As it is commercially highly successful it may seem that some drinkers are scared of taste ...

10-13-2005 19:38:46 | More by Daredevil
DrunkMcDermott

2.05/5  rDev -8.9%

The only reason I took notes on this was because I couldn't remember having reviewed it before. Same ol' piss yellow pour, with a thin canned beer head. Okay, there's something of a malt character here before it gets overwhelmed by corn. Not so much saccharine or cloying but like drinking from a cup smeared with lipstick. Empty barley pop.

10-13-2005 13:42:06 | More by DrunkMcDermott
Camperdown

South Carolina

2.17/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Even though I was weaned on American macro brews, I have long since seen (and tasted) the light. However, on occasion, I am in the position of drining this or water. I'll take it!

Appearance: Color is pale straw (I wouldn't dare say urine-colored), with a wispy head. Carbonation is lively.

Smell: Slightly skunky. No hops, maybe alittle bit of grassiness.

Taste: For the most part like all the others. Maybe just a hint of vomit aftertaste (could just be bad memories).

Mouthfeel: Thin, fizzy....that's about the sum of it.

Drinkability: I have a slight preference for this beer over the many others in the style. That's not saying much.

10-12-2005 02:51:41 | More by Camperdown
grindcore666

2.13/5  rDev -5.3%

MGD pours a light gold...no head whatsoever. Doesn't look special, but doesn't look unappealing either. Corny scent.

It tastes like your average macro. There's way too much carbonation to describe the taste up front, but afterwards theres a trademark malt that gives it the edge over other macros.
Very carbonated, feels like a soda or sparkling beverage. Aftertaste is semi-unsettling.

It's just too carbonated for me, overall; it leaves me bloated. After having only a few of them, they taste increasingly bland.

Theres a lot to dislike about this beer, but in comparison to other macro beers, it's more enjoyable. For a truly tasty beer, however, you don't need me to tell you to look elsewhere.

10-07-2005 02:34:42 | More by grindcore666
tesguino

4.65/5  rDev +106.7%

The gold of the american beers, in its bottle of 12 oz, the perfect serving for bbq, buddies meeting, 6 o´clock, etc, its appearance is exceptional, pure nugget, smell so good remain my first draft beer, in mexico, malt and hops really balanced, and the best thing of all its packaging, sorry for my comments on the bottle´s package and presentation, i am a Professional graphic designer.

10-06-2005 16:35:32 | More by tesguino
daliandragon

2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

The ol' black label..we've had a few memories together, but I'll spare you.
Almost golden in color, almost no head but respectable lacing. Sweet, corny, watery sniff.
Decent, round texture but too much carbonation. Oh, yeah..taste. Not much, it's in and out of your buds in a flash. A brief hint of hops, but not enough to matter.
It's an option when I hang with my non beer geek friends in places like Dayton, Ohio and go to bars that have five beers available and this is inevitably one. By no means good, but a drinkable macro if you have buddies who like bars with mechanical bulls.

09-23-2005 11:50:11 | More by daliandragon
grbennett

3.05/5  rDev +35.6%

There is nothing really special about MGD. However, it is not terrible. It is good to order at a restaraunt with food. If you want to enjoy a good beer, this is not a good choice. Have it maybe with a pizza as it won't fill you up, but it will wet your whistle and compliment your food.

09-19-2005 18:24:53 | More by grbennett
jayc333

Ontario (Canada)

2.2/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured a straw yellow with a three finger fluffy white head. The head disipated slowly, and left a nice lace. The beer is as clear as day, and the high carbonation presents very tiny inviting bubbles.

Smells quite herbal, with a bit of a spicy kick. Maybe the spicyness is due to the high carbonation.

Taste? Very limited unfortunatly. Basically just water with a little beer flavouring. I'm having horrible deja vu that this is almost exactly what I experienced with Corona.

Surprisingly smooth mouthfeel for how much carbonation there appeared to be. Very thin and watery feel on the palate.

Probably one of the better college aimed session brews out there.

09-17-2005 03:37:46 | More by jayc333
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.