Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
2.4/5  rDev +7.1%

had this in many different cities across this great land and its too bad this was my beer of choice when i was a young lad. Not at all what I would consider to be a choice for drinking now. I would much rather have water and wont even offer to my friends. I rated this high in drinkability because I think you can drink your own weight of this stuff.

2.4/5  rDev +7.1%

A- faint yellow, 1 finger up and down head, no lacing.

S- sweet corn and grain, mild earthiness.

T- big sweet corn, hint of grain, mild metallic-like bitter finish.

M- very light, big carbonation.

D- This is alcoholic water. In a pinch, not wanting to insult friends, it's better than Bud...not saying much.

2.02/5  rDev -9.8%

Straw coloured & crystal clear with almost no head & a couple bubbles rising to the surface.

Pretty much no aroma here, just a clean chemical & grain like smell that you have to struggle to detect at all.

Quite bland with grain, corn & cereal dominating the mix. Not much else to report really. It's not unpleasant but does lack flavour.

Very light bodied & incredibly smooth & easy to drink. Also has a slight tang that isn't too unpleasant.

Not up to much compared with most other beers reviewed here. In it's favour is that it is cheap & not unpleasant. About on par with most other mass-market pale lagers.

More at:

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

Was at a place with a line-up of macros for lunch and I realized I haven't had an MGD in years. May as well give it a shot. Having it on tap avoids issus of the beer being skunky at least.

Pours a golden yellow colour with a finger of white foamy head. No lacing, but head retention was pretty good. Smells quite grainy with a hint of grassy hops. Flavour is incredibly clean, I'm surprised I'm enjoying this when I fully expected to hate it. Enjoying doesn't mean it is good, but it isn't awful either. Much smoother mouthfeel than many macro lagers. I would take this over Canadian, Blue, etc.

1.64/5  rDev -26.8%

This is the official cheap beer of my hood. Every party that I went to back in the day had cases of MGD. Coolers filled to the rim with those gold cans and bottles surrounded by ice.
MGD is like all other macros, but it has a little more behind. It's a tad dryer, pretty smooth and very chuggable.
I'm reviewing this beer because of the place it holds in my heart. We all need a measuring stick when it comes to tasting beer and I use this beer to set my taste-o-beer meter at 1. All of my friends thought the stuff is delicious, but I never got it's appeal.

1.4/5  rDev -37.5%

This beer looks smells and tastes bad. Would not suggest this for anyone. It must taste good to some people or it would not be around. It is like most Miller products, just bad. wish I had something good to say about it really can't think of anything.

1.92/5  rDev -14.3%

And to think this was my go-to beer when I turned 21!

A- Thin, pale, yellow with thin white lacing, poor retention, and very little lacing.

S- Very faint hints of corn, and grain...no hops

T- Same as the smell, corn and grain with metallic notes and hints of vinegar.

M- Thin and watery

D- Off flavors make this watery beer undeserving of even the word refreshing.

1.57/5  rDev -29.9%

How much back story does one really need. My friend brought this one to our beer tasting Christmas party, and we cracked it open just to give more perspective.

A - Clear with a tiny bit of yellow like the sweat from a sick camel. Fizy for a few moments then quickly dies down not unlike a urinal related experience.

S - Thank the maker there aren't many smells. Corn and aluminum plus something sour.

T - Watery. Vinegar...(like the kitchen cleaner not like the kind you put on fish'n'chips)

M - So flat so watery. Sad. I can feel this beer weeping at it's fate. "Why beer gods? why was i made so weak and thin?", it's saying.

D - this is a sad beer there is nothing draft about this. It's genuinely bad but that's all.
This beer served it's purpose today well. It reminded us just how great a great beer can be and just how bad a bad beer can be. Compared to a fine Belgian ale this is a stark contrast. Now lets dump the rest of this beer into the soup and bring out an ale please.

3.95/5  rDev +76.3%

Consumed straight from the 40oz bottle. Clear golden color, small amount of foam that quickly dissipates after tipping the bottle.

Tastes malty, but no hops note. Very crisp, clean, and refreshing. This one goes down great! No aftertaste.

I would most likely "swill" this one again if I was going for a 40oz beer rather than a stronger malt liquor.

1.06/5  rDev -52.7%

Poured all head initially, but that gradually dissipated to a soap suds lopsided dollop of head. Straw yellow in color. Smell has both malt and I'd dare say vinegar. Luckily taste doesn't have vinegar, but then again taste doesn't have much of anything except water, a little corn, a hint of bitter. Frankly it's a forget about it beer, one you swig like a glass of water.

This was one of the first brands I tried when I hit drinking age and I got a six pack now just to retry after 20+ years. I can't believe I've got 5 more of these I have to use up.

2.46/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from the 24oz can into a pint glass and paired with a taco bell burrito.

A: Very carbonated light gold with a 2 finger slightly off-white head that had surprisingly good retention.

S: A slight soapy character is offputting for a moment but then just foamy "beery" smell. Very light.

T: At first almost literally no taste, but then a bit of sweetness. Finishes with a weird cornbread character and a light dryness.

Notes: Not actually too bad (just tasteless), but I would actually prefer a plain Budweiser over this.

1.4/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pale, pale yellow color with a fizzy head that dissipates rapidly.

Sweet corn and grain along with a light rubbing alcohol presence at the end.

God awful taste of artificial sweetener, canned corn and white rice. Nasty aspartame aftertaste as well.

The feel is actually not as thin as one would think. The carbonation isn't bottom of the barrel either. Somewhat smooth with a cottony dry finish.

The worst part about this beer is the taste and that is all that you really need to know. Avoid this one at all costs.

1.25/5  rDev -44.2%

A- Yellow, similar to urine if you are slightly dehydrated.

S- Skunk, adjuncts, typical macro smell

T- Like the smell, although its a bit bland, a little alcohol.

M- thin, watery

D- None.

Even way back when I knew nothing about good beer at all, I still couldn't stomach this beer. And that says a lot. Horrible stuff.

1.38/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I don't have a lot of respect for brewers that bottle their hard work in a clear bottle. I guess they are not very proud of this one...neither am I. I tried to get a head during the pour, but even with all my talent, no luck. This brew is a light yellow color, rating a 3 on the SRM chart. One of the lightest brews I have seen. Smells like wet straw and rice. The taste is a little better than the smell, because there is less of it. Rice and wet wheat are the predominate tastes, with a little malt, no bite at all. Mouthfeel is bland, almost like the beer takes something away, leaving a hole. This is another lawn work beer...I would rather do yard work than drink this beer.

2.52/5  rDev +12.5%

Purchased draft in a frosted mug at Boston Pizza. I had had one too many expensive Sam Adams at this point.

A: Straw yellow, clear and surprisingly nice lacing
S: Corn, vegetal & light spiciness (perhaps from hops?). Nothing special here, not real malt on the nose
T: Just like these lagers claim they should be when ice cold. The beer was crisp & clean without any major flavour protruding (how is this a positive feature?) with some light corn & sweetness poking through.
M: Strong carbonation that is prickly, and detracts from its flavours (although some may view this positively)
D: Enjoyable, yet strong vegetal flavours & aromas take away form my ability & desire to have another, even after drinking a few...

3.25/5  rDev +45.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

For a cheap Macro this one has been a longstanding favorite for me-- ie a "good lawn-mowing beer."

A= watery golden straw, nice tinsely but quickly fading head when poured, some lacing.

S= light hops (yes actual hops!) florals, typical macro light "malts."

T= slight hops bitterness (unusual for a Macro!) and florals, more malt flavor than any other Macro that I've ever found.

M= clean, light malts and florals, slight sweetness.

D= easily a 6-pack on a hot summer day if you actually like it. Great in the on-tap version as well.

2.97/5  rDev +32.6%

MGD reminds me of High Life in so many ways, except for the taste. MGD has a funky kind of off-taste to it I never get with High Life. Being the same beer, you'd think they taste the same, but they dont.

Its also my understanding that MGD is the same as High Life, with the exception of the fact that High Life is pasteurized and MGD is not.

Either way, very easy to drink, inoffensive but very thin. Not bad for a summer time refreshment.

2.76/5  rDev +23.2%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

From a plastic twist-top bottle comes beer #11 of Swill Tour 2010, and another oddly short and to-the-point collection of thoughts. It pours a clear jaundice topped by nearly a finger of white foam. The nose is of metallic Styrofoam. That's all I can say about this smell. The taste is closer to burnt puffed rice and Corn Flakes. The body is exceedingly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp-ish finish. Overall, a sad brew, not offensive but nowhere near good.

2.53/5  rDev +12.9%

Served in a pint glass

Beer #12 in Swill Fest 2010

The appearance is that of a normal AAL. It's a semi-light golden clear color. The smell is of rice and corn syrup. The smell isn't that amazing. The taste is OK. There is the same tastes as smells, plus there is an almost iron/steel-like taste. That's all I have to say about it. The mouthfeel is decent. It's kinda drinkable.

2.51/5  rDev +12.1%

From a 24 ounce can into a glass mug...
Looks light yellow straw colored with a fluffy two finger head that left some lacing.
Smells of corn and water mostly.
Tastes like metallic corn water.
This is crisp like water and too bubbly.
Very chuggable but not very enjoyable.

4.27/5  rDev +90.6%

Although this does seem just the same as alot of other basic full flavored beers, It to me is exceptionaly refreshing. A great taste, an easy smell and a smooth quality. Again everybody has their opinions and own desired taste. For me, this is my comfort beer.

1.56/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from 24oz tall can into a Pilsner glass.

Appearance: light, pale golden color with lots of effervescence and three fingers of creamy white head. This looks a heck of a lot like most macro lagers. Could be better and, honestly, could be worse.

Smell: dank, grainy aroma that doesn't even have the enticing sourness of a Bud. Uff da.

Taste: about on the same level as the aroma, both in quality and in specific characteristics. It's not hurl-inducing, but it's not good at all. It's not even as good as Bud. That is saying something.

Mouthfeel: watery and insipid without any interesting contribution from the evident carbonation. Not impressed.

Drinkability: on a hot hot day at a baseball game with extremely limited choices, I will frequently choose MGD over having no beer at all. Otherwise, not particularly drinkable.

2.11/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a pure white, two-finger head that goes quickly to a ring and leaving some lace. Medium carbonation and light bodied. Crystal clear pale straw color. Nose is ?? - no skunkiness. Flavor is sweet corn and grass. Squeaky clean finish. Good lawn mower beer. Better than MGD 64 light but that isn't saying much. $1.25 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

473ml clear plastic bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured a clear yellow with minimal head. No lacing either.

S - A bit of grass. Surprisingly no skunk despite the clear bottle... or maybe there aren't enough hops to skunk?

T - Mild sweetness and a very light bitter finish.

M - Watery, bland but the finish has some crispness.

D - Not as bad as Bud Light (My least favourite so far) but still a very unimpressive Lager. Gave my glass away after a few sips. Can't believe I use to drink this stuff.

I don't know how this works but I am drinking Miller Genuine DRAFT from a 12 oz bottle poured into a pint.

A: A very soapy looking head that fizzles out quickly. Clear yellow, looks like apple juice. Little bit of lacing. Many, many bubbles.

S: It's tough to describe it without using the words "cheap, plain, unoriginal. Its an just an Americanized lagerl.

T: A crisp slightly bitter bite and... that's it, nothing else, gone. Well basically, there is a slight alcohol aftertaste but not much else. It's watered down.

M: Super light and smooth. Very tingly on your tongue from all the carbonation.

D: I could physically drink quite a few of these, do I want to? Not really. The carbonation makes you quite gassy. I could see this giving me a wicked hanging over.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.