Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a somewhat darker than expected yellow. Still has that funky sickly sweet malt, that manages to be thin and unpalatable at the same time.

Maybe an inch or two head. Not terribly overly carbonated (surprising!). Better than I recall, but still pretty bad.

Forget it.

Overlord, Dec 26, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +38.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light malts, adjuncts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste mostly contains the typical macro sweetness with a thin malt character and a faint flavor of hops. I find it difficult to describe but somehow this beer just seems to taste better than other macros, even if it can’t compare to a good craft brew.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, light-to-medium body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: A little tasty, goes down very easy, not filling at all, mild kick, this beer has pretty much become my default choice in situations where I’m forced to choose among macros and other beer that I don’t like. It also helps that it’s usually inexpensive.

TheManiacalOne, Dec 21, 2007
2.5/5  rDev +11.6%

Among the least worst of American Macro Brews, shares this distinction with PBR and Miller High Life.

Appearance: Clear light gold color, OK pure white head that leaves a very thin surface of foam on the top, very little lace.

Smell: Funky stale malt and corn scent, a bit of hard to define acridness, no hops to speak of in the nose.

Taste: Bland overall, with low grade malt and corn sweetness. Low carbonation, light and ugly hop taste. A dry acrid finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin, inoffensive carbonation, very suitable for chugging large quantities.

Drinkability: Easy and uninteresting to drink. If you want to drink a lot and fast for the purpose of getting loaded, you could do worse.

sbe1, Dec 17, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -27.2%

When I heard this beer was made with hops extract, it threw up red flags for me right away. There's nothing like designing a beer for shelf life rather than flavor. Anyway:

A - pours a faint straw with little carbonation and no head.
S - faint, sweet smell of adjuncts
T - tastes of corn and maybe a bit of malt
M - not at all pleasant
D - ok if you don't care about flavor or enjoying a beer for the hard work put into it

stagman, Dec 17, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -19.6%

My goodness. I thought that I would remember this beer being much better than it was so I tried it again. I always remembered that it was better than regular Bud and just not quite as good as Coors regular old banquet brew. This memory comes way back from when I drank a beer for reasons that had nothing to do with the beer. Just the result.

But, to my taste buds, I'd only want to drink MGD after A LOT of Coors, or almost anything else. Which also isn't likely. Probably still do MGD a little before regular Bud, which was always given to cause me headaches ever since they started advertising beechwood aging way, way, way back when.

Taste?....much more after [taste].
Smell...stale, unappealing.
Mouthfeel...not really....can I say...somewhat "fizzy"?
Drinkability...no...umm...No.

Seriously, I am not buying MGD again and have decided that leaving an establishment that mostly or only serves MGD and the like is a better choice than staying there would be...Purveyors of the High Life? Naah.
So many, many better choices out there for my money. And, did you notice? This really isn't cheap beer.

wgk, Dec 16, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +64.3%

Smell

I found the smell to be a bit stale and unwelcoming.

Taste

This beer is good on the palate and is particularly sweet. Goes down very well, especially with good company. Great party beer and I have found that one can consume lots without getting bored.

An enjoyable beer overall.

pirates, Dec 09, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

And to think that this was once a beer I drank on occasion many moons ago. Not impressed with it now after having been away from it for over a decade. Perhaps it was the can, but I doubt it. Pours medium golden color, little head. Little grabs the nose and, unfortunately, the taste buds either. It's rather dry, slightly bitter, and has an odd, exceedingly grainy taste, producing an aftertaste that was simply annoying. Not a beer I'll go back to anytime soon.

Gehrig, Nov 26, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +22.8%

I actually think that this is one of the better macros out there. The color isn't half bad and the head on it isn't that bad either. It doesn't really smell that great, like the typical American macro. A bit skunky actually. Maybe the dang clear bottle. Taste is nothing memorable but it is better than 99% of the other macro offerings. Unfortunately, that's not saying a lot. I would probably drink this beer again if I was at a party somewhere and it was the only thing available, but I don't think I will go out looking for this one.

Tilley4, Nov 25, 2007
2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

Appearance: Clear, golden yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Minimal hops. Grapes, almost has a wine smell.

Taste: It seems they are trying too hard. It results in limited flavor that includes a bit of hops and minimal malt.

Mouthfeel: Decent body, but it feels like it may be enhanced by chemistry.

Drinkability: I run into this beer a lot at backyard gatherings. I have never been a fan, so I wanted to evaluate it under different circumstances. This is not the worst beer, but even when I evaluated it in the best circumstances possible, it was hard to find much to like. I will not seek this beer out, but I will not turn one down either.

SargeC, Nov 17, 2007
1.35/5  rDev -39.7%

Bottle: Poured a golden yellow color lager with a small bubbly white head with limited retention. Aroma of sweet adjunct is dominating. Taste is also dominated by sweet corn with a watery aftertaste. No hops could be detected and body is quite thin. Nothing bad but just really plain and boring.

Phyl21ca, Nov 01, 2007

Pours a yellow-straw color with almost no head. Smells like any other macro lager. Taste is boring but at least it ain't as bad as the light beers that Miller makes.

All of these American macro-lager beers taste pretty much the same to me. Very little malt flavor, very corn flavored and almost no hops.

metallistout, Oct 28, 2007
3.1/5  rDev +38.4%

I'm biased. As a kid, this was the first beer I loved. It may be a typical American macro lager, but it's among the best.

Pours a light yellow, with a thin, lacy head.

Smells light, crisp, husky, grainy.

Tastes smooth and crisp, with a distinct hint of grain.

A thin beer in the mouth that isn't heavy on the tastebuds either, but it's very simple, drinkable beer.

AlHam, Oct 22, 2007
2.78/5  rDev +24.1%

I'm going to take one for the team and pour some of this into a glass for the sake of a review. Needless to say this is the sort of thing that is most enjoyable when consumed from the container as cold as possible so the natural characteristics don't open up.
Not as bad as I was fearing. Very typical "beer" stuff going on, in the way that most people think of beer. Very watery, weak flavor profile, a bit overly carbonated... you can taste some of the corn or rice adjuncts in here.
The weak profile and low alcohol content make this reasonably drinkable for a cheap night out at a bar. Not worth the effort really... get PBR instead.

ommegangpbr, Oct 06, 2007
2.6/5  rDev +16.1%

Very pale yellow with thin white head that dissipates fairly quickly and mild lacing.
The nose is of mild grass,grains and some musty smell in there.
Taste is about the same as the smell which is not really that bad,goes down rather thin and watery with a slight musty aftertaste,but nonetheless,quite enjoyable for a macro,very easy drinking,not bad at all.

GrimmReaper, Oct 06, 2007
2.3/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured it into my glass golden in color with a thin white head that quickly goes away. Doesn't smell all that good. It has a below average taste thats to expect from a macro. It has a good amount of carbonation in it. Well I really don't have a whole lot of good things to say about this beer. I probably would only drink this again if I was really hot and needed a beer.

armock, Oct 05, 2007
2.33/5  rDev +4%

Probably my favorite macro brew...and that's not saying a whole lot.

This beer is best for tailgating and after a day of hard work or cutting the grass.

Oddly enough, this beer is better out of a can instead of the bottle. That's probably due to the fact that the bottled beer comes in clear bottles.

This is good for a day by the pool. Aside from that, I can't imagine sipping on this.

jdubjacket, Oct 01, 2007
2.3/5  rDev +2.7%

40 ounce bottle from 7-Eleven in El Segundo

Pour was golden brown with a thick foamy head

Smell was filled with yeast and a little malt

Very heavy beer and the taste is strong and a little bitter making it hard to drink much

Miller Lite is the way to go if you want to have more than one

Floydster, Sep 21, 2007
2.15/5  rDev -4%

pours a cheap white head - giving way to its true lack of malt body. Which happens to look nice, the white tendrils of lace clinging to the sides of the glass, framing the pale straw body of the beer. I can easily read the page of a book under the lens of MGD, its that clear. Smell is acrid and a little like slightly moldy malt on a tuesday. Mouthfeel is quite pleasant, like a cold glass of perrier...on that note, i'd still fancy the perrier to the MGD on any given night.

geographie, Aug 30, 2007
3.13/5  rDev +39.7%

Found this refugee in my cooler following my 25th Grad reunion on the weekend.

Decent looking lager with a slighly darker straw hue and a nice, dare I say, almost rich looking head that took it's time fading away. Nice little gobs of lacing stuck to the sides of the glass that I hope is a result of a ton of corn syrup.Note a sweet, slightly grainy smell along with a hint of green apple fruitiness. Smooth uptake with an almost sharp Granny smith Aplle taste that is only there for an instant. Some bold, cereal-like malt and a barely there hint of hop round out the flavour. Maybe a tad watery at first and quite light in body, but overall a very drinkable macro.

Shadman, Aug 28, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance - 2.5
Poured a thin layer of white head, which actually had decent staying power. Relatively pale straw in colour, looks highly carbonated.

Smell - 2.0
I am pleased to note that I can detect no skunk, so this is not a tainted beer. There is a vague trace of corn, and barely detectable hops. Not much smell at all.

Taste - 2.0
Wow, this really is the essense of cheap macro lagers, and tastes much like many cold filtered Aussie beers. Very little taste upfront, slightly bitter in the finish and moderately dry. Some sweetness and little aftertaste (which is a good thing, as I wouldn't really want to be tasting this long after I'd drank it).

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Quite smooth and crisp, feels light in the mouth with moderate to high carbonation. If it had some nice taste it would go down easily.

Drinkability - 2.5
In my younger years I could easily have swilled two sixpacks of this from the bottle. Now that I have consideration for my tastebuds, I'd rather not have a second.

OVERALL - 2.25
I had heard bad things about this beer before reviewing, but I have tried to be as objective as I can. Not the worst beer I've ever tried, this is not really offensive, moreso bland with a little unappealing taste. I'm sure this would be just as good from the bottle, but at $4 each, this is a total rip-off in Australia, and I will probably never drink it again.

LittleCreature, Aug 25, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +46.4%

First thing's first,i basically grew up with this beer and it followed me all through high school.Thanks to my grandpa and dad for that.When i'm not in the mood for a higher priced great craft brew i find myself buying this beer often...can only.It is your typical big brew beer...rice,little malt smell,etc. This beer for me is great on a warm day out at the lake cooking out and relaxing and thats about it. I'm sure my childern will pick up on this beer too,after sneaking some from the fridge,and feel the same way i do abuot it.

malibujohnny, Aug 25, 2007
2.63/5  rDev +17.4%

355 ml clear bottle.

A- Clear golden yellow. White head of large bubbles. Head dissappears quickly but leaves some lacing. Moderate bubbliness.

S- Slightly skunked. pale malt. Citrussy hops. Grain.

T- Crisp and clean light lager taste. Not much flavour, but somehow doesn't taste like water either. Hops faint but noticeable with tastes of citrus and grassy herbs. Some graininess. The elements of the flavour don,t quite come together to make a good whole. A bit off really.

MF- Crisp, light bodied. Above average for an American macro lager.

D- Refreshing. easy to drink but od limited interest because of blah aroma and flavour.

JOaikido, Aug 02, 2007
2.53/5  rDev +12.9%

Fizzy gold with a strangely retentive snow white head.

Aroma of mild malts is tainted by fruity and cooked veggie DMS tones.

Taste is very light and sweet on the tongue. Some corn comes through but it's a fresh, on-the-cob flavor rather than husky. Hops in the finish just at the threshold of detectability.

Mouthfeel is average, there's a slightly disconcerting "slidy" feeling on the tongue. Still, easy enough to drink.

A very average lawnmower beer. Passes the "would you drink it if it's cold and free?" test.

shirfan, Jul 31, 2007
2.7/5  rDev +20.5%

A - Very light straw colour with quite a large head that quickly falls away to a thin whisp.
S - Sweet cereal grain aroma, bit of corn that becomes more pronounced as the beer gets warmer.
T - Again sweet graininess. A bit of bittering hops.
M - Medium bodied and highly carbonated.
D - Drinkable if no other options are available.

brendan13, Jul 29, 2007
3.33/5  rDev +48.7%

First of all, I must admit, MGD is one of my favorite macro lagers. I try not do drink them, but if I do, I like to drink MGD. Now, that being said...Pours a darker yellow color with a quickly dissipating head (poured from a bottle into a pint glass). Smells like a typical macro, mostly of corn, grains, and alcohol. The taste is fairly light, especially to those who appreciate much better beer. Though, for the style, definitely one of the better, more pronounced beers. Light in the mouth, and easy to drink, although lacking in taste (all typical of the style). I guess it's kind of like that saying about winning the special Olympics... in the end you're still a retard. In conclusion, if I drink macro lager, I try to drink MGD, because it has one of the better/stronger tastes..

dustylong, Jul 28, 2007
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.