Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
1.63/5  rDev -27.2%

330ml bottle 4.7% abv

Appearance: Ah, horrid. Very very light yellow/gold in colour. That said it does have a reasonable albeit short lived head.

Smell: Maize, something like half cooked rice, a hint of malt. If I concentrate really hard there is a hint of a hop-like aroma.
My nose doesn't like this beer, 3 sniffs and I had a nose bleed (I do get allot of these, but I think in this case my nose was telling me something)

Taste: Nose all better and now, so onto the taste. Not as bad as the smell, but still not very palatable. Again the maize is there and a hint of that rice-like-flavor (not sure whether there is in fact rice in this beer). There is a malty flavour but it seems like stale malt if you know what I mean. This beer has a tad more flavour than our local macros, but I don't like the taste so it doesn't help.

Mouthfeel: Light and surprisingly, reasonable carbonation.

Drinkability: If it weren't for the smell and the flavor, sure very drinkable. But as it stands, I cannot finish a bottle.

I feel like a real beer-snob trashing almost every "common" lager I come across, but once you have tasted a good beer, these just can't compare.

2.13/5  rDev -4.9%

Another one that I CANnot believe that I have not reviewed previously. Anything in support of the CANQuest, I suppose.

First, let me say that when this first hit the market back in the late-1980's, I was a HUGE fan. It was much better then its High Life counterpart and when I toured the Miller plant in MKE for the first time, in 1992, I was hooked. Today? Let's see ...

My pour got me an easy two fingers of bone-white head that immediately began to settle in for the afternoon. Only the stock market, this past Thursday, fell faster. Unlike the market, this left behind something pretty in its wake. Stone may pooh-pooh fizzy yellow beers all they want, but this was nice. A beautiful sunshine-yellow beer with exemplary NE-quality clarity. The nose, however, was rank with adjuncts. Corn simply jumped out at me, speaking of Nebraska. Wow! Mouthfeel was on the thin side and there was a slight lager sweetness to it, but mostly, it was simply bland. Finish was moderately sweet with a slight tang, but nothing worth noting. I fet like Emilio Estevez's character in "Repo Man" watching the Circle Jerks as a lounge act and remarking, "Man, I used to like these guys!?!" Was it enough to make me want to rip the badges/patches off of my first jacket? No, but don't look for Miller products to get that kind of placement on recent jackets, either.

3.25/5  rDev +45.1%

If you're looking for an American Macro Lager, you could do better, or you could do worse than this. It is what it is. A clean, refreshing, non-offensive beer.Light, a little thin, when this stuff is cold, it's great for slaking a hard day's night's thirst. Personally prefer High Life (at a lower cost) but this has enough of that " Miller" flavor to be a good change-up. Is it a great West Coast IPA or a great German dopplebock? no. Does it try to be? no. What it is is a pretty decent brew in the American Macro style, and I've drank a helluva lot worse.

2.58/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured in to a pint glass

A - Poured a light yellow colour with a lot of visible carbonation and one finger of light head that quickly dissipated.

S - A very faint grainy malt nose that is almost non-existent.

T - Faint grainy taste with the slgihtest bit of sweetness. Very bland overall.

M - Light body, lots of carbonation.

D - A decent beer. Have had many of these in the past but not something I generally seek out. Would only consider having another in the absence of craft beer (like today).

1.25/5  rDev -44.2%

12oz bottle, no freshness date on the bottle, poured in to a pint glass.

Appearance - Very pale yellow. A finger of white head with very little lace.

Smell - Very pungent. Difficult to say if it is skunked or if it is the beer. Hard to muster another whiff....Some sour fruit in there somewhere.

Taste - Pretty awful in my opinion. Corn or some type of grain. Not much in terms of hops.

Feel - A ton of carbonation that really bites all the way down...

Drinkability - Surprisingly easy to pound a few back.

Final Thoughts - Used to pound these back back in the early college days before I was enlighted in beer-dom. Used to HATE beer because of MGD. Decided to try it a few days ago and see if my opinion had changed...it didn't....

1.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Glass - Pint

A - Ultra clear gold/yellow with big carbonation, rapidly rising. Around a 2-finger head, retention is okay. No lacing here, a nice ring sticks around the top of the beer for most of the consumption though.

S - Musky musky grainy aromas, some tart grape & pair notes in there, a turn off for me, I hate those tart notes in beers of this style. About it, I can almost interpret the musky notes as kinda like a gym sock.

T - Musky cracker/grainy flavors throughout, with some fruity apple/pair flavors in the finish, which again, I don't like. About it here.

M - Super carbonated, burns the throat a bit. Very thin feel, lite-bodied.

D - To me this is one of the worst from the style, I just hate those tart/fruity/apple like notes, ugh! I don't hate this style though, so don't get me wrong. Don't like this one at all though, I'd pass for a Bud any day, but over that I'd take a Schlitz, which is currently my favorite for the style.

2.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: Clear yellow color, no different than Miller Lite.

Smell: Kind of grassy and hoppy. Not necessarily a bad combination, but definitely awkward in this case.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The MGD I had was a bit skunked, given the clear bottle. It was ok though. Average mouthfeel with some carbonation.

Drinkability: Kind of harsh due to average smoothness, but it fine.

Overall: I honestly don't have much to say about MGD either way. It's not as good as Miller Lite, which is more refined, but isn't repulsive.

1.78/5  rDev -20.5%

Macro lagers are the mirages of the beer world: they often look fantastic with their crisp and clear golden bodies, vivacious bubbles and large, sudsy head. They look like quenching, quaffable, oh-so-satisfying beverages but... they rarely are.

You can tell as much by the aroma. Because it stinks. If it were dull to senses I wouldn't use that word, but it smells of spoiled microwaved corn. Lagers traditionally use barley but the modern mass-produced ones (like MGD) use corn and various other adjuncts; their sugars may ferment just as well but the resulting smell is undeniably less appealing.

And the beer's taste is also gravely diminished. No flavour is vivid enough to warrant any recognition, less maybe a sweetish, industrial-style corn syrup. Most descriptors, too, would be too precise to define the vague, wavering, watery yellow mass between my lips. This review really would be incomplete without use of the term 'watery'.

And to anyone who enjoys the beer, I defy you to express its appeal without using that or any similar meaning word. This thing is lighter than a ping-pong ball! And although that may sit well with the brewers it certainly does not with me. I like my beers to be full of character not chemicals. Beer like that, sadly, are for the few and not the many.

May much icy liquid (MGD, perhaps?) be thrown on those who believe this is a good drinking beer. Just one can leave your mouth with the dry, cottony, solventy feeling normally reached only after six or ten. Its advertisers credit it as being "smooth" - whatever that means exactly they leave us to imagine ourselves. It wouldn't be my choice of words.

I understand that I write these reviews almost entirely for the converted - those who, like me, share in the pleasures of real and diverse beers - and although there cannot be many whose minds can be converted simply by the act of reading this, any MGD drinkers out there, I implore you to try different styles and give your local microbrewery a chance.

2.23/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours an exceptionally light yellow with a very small head and zero lacing.

The smell is a very slight corn malt.

A lot like the nose but finishes with a metallic aftertaste.

Very light bodied with medium high carbonation.

Eh...not really one to seek out and get.

2.4/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Light straw colored, very clear, a small white head, leaves no lacing.

A weak smell, some canned fruit cocktail, corn flakes.

The taste is straight forward, some acid, boiled vegetables.

Small tingly bubbles, a watery feeling.

Not much I care for.

[Reviewed at a beer sampling]

2.75/5  rDev +22.8%

Reviewed side by side with Miller Lite and Milwaukee's Best.

Out of a clear bottle, it's yellow in the glass, although next to the rest it looks gold. The head fizzes away quickly like the rest but leaves the best lace.

The aroma has the fullest malt presence of the three, and the least flaws. A touch of hops is detected, which is the most of the three. Slight DMS and corn is there, but it isn't as obvious as the rest.

MGD has the biggest body of the three, but with the cleanest, crispest, and seemingly most carbonated finish. There is some lingering flavors but it's not bad. A little bit of bitterness is found, which helps cover a lot of the corny, vegetal flavors. The taste is pretty plain and is the cleanest of the three. It's the closest to a plain, yellow tasting beer which could be really valuable at some times. I'm not sure the quality justifies the price point for me personally, but it's still very cheap.

Congratulations MGD, you are the winner in the Miller taste testing of 1/24/10.

2.45/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance is a light golden color with a light crisp head. Smell of a slightly sweet corn cereal. Taste has the light sweet corn, mild hop and a metallic flavor thats a little watered down. Mouthfeel is light with fair body with good carbonation. It's not terrible, but I still prefer the High Life.

1.5/5  rDev -33%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I though this was going to be like high life, boy was I wrong. this is definitely noticeably obviously much worse than highlife. holy crap, was this sixer a waste of money. shit. well its watery the head dies quicker than charlie up against some silver fish, and the smell is oddly metallic for a glass bottle. the feel is easy drinking, easy chugging actually.

2.25/5  rDev +0.4%

T'was my friend's birthday last night and several rounds of drinking games were played with the fabled MGD.

A: The pour is crystal clear and light golden/yellow in color with plenty tiny CO2 bubbles. The head is short lived but fluffy and white.

S: A strong smell of over-ripened corn and a touch of other miscellaneous grains. Perhaps a faint metallic tinge, but nothing overwhelming.

T: A sweet and heavy corn flavor without much else to balance the beer out. It's not as water-like as many of the other BMC beers, but I haven't decided whether that's for better or worse.

M: The body is surprising, actually. Somewhat toward the medium side with abundant carbonation.

D: I did not find this an altogether enjoyable experience, but I didn't mind drinking it for "old times" sake. There have certainly been a few nights of MGD in the past, but now I remember why I don't drink it anymore.

2.38/5  rDev +6.2%

A not-so-quickly dissipating head seems more solid and sustainable than the other cheapy's I just tried. A little tiny lacing. Still the same pale straw bland yellow.

A slightly more balanced light corny malt. Still another very low in scent.

Slightly more flavorful corn and wheat. More enjoyable than other Macros but still this beer is far from good.

Flat, undercarbonated and just not enjoyable mouthfeel in any way. Unless maybe you are dehydrated in the desert.

3.38/5  rDev +50.9%

What can ya' say...I was in the local supermarket and saw the 24oz can for a buck with a great production date and figured that I've wasted a buck on worse. Crystal gold in color with a creamy head, aromatics of cereal and corn grains under fermentation. Surprisingly creamy in the mouth with decent carbonation and a easy and inviting drinkabiklity. Not as bitter than lets say a PBR, a bit sweeter and not as dry. Lets face it, you've had worse and you've had better.
An unquestionable and dramatic improvement as opposed to Miller High Life; you may be mildly surprised...then again....

1.02/5  rDev -54.5%

serving type: bottle

a - it looks like urine

s - it smells like urine

t - it tastes like urine, or what I'd imagine urine tasting like

m - it feels like carbonated urine

d - sure it could be pretty easy to throw a bunch of these back, but why in God's name would you want to?

there are way better macros out there, don't settle for this garbage

1.73/5  rDev -22.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Clear fizzy yellow beer with a one-finger, white, foamy head; average retention and surprisingly generous lacing. Great lace for the style, but pretty disappointing head in general.

S: Not much here - dank grains (mainly overripe corn) are about all I pick up. Thankfully the unpleasantness is not too powerful.

T: Much like the nose, the unappealing adjunct flavors are at least understated. The real downer here, though, is a potently metallic aftertaste. Yuck.

M: Fairly substantial body, but way too much unsubtle carbonation going on. Spiky in the extreme.

D: This one doesn't even have this going for it - the aftertaste is just too gross to make me want another sip, much less another beer or six.

Notes: Way grosser than High Life, and more expensive as well. If I have to drink Miller, at least make mine pasteurized.

Cheers!

2.2/5  rDev -1.8%

12oz can, best by Jan 4 2010.

A straw yellow colour with about 1 finger head of foam.

It smells slightly grainy, more corny, with a very light note of bitterness.

The taste is very bland. Some sweetness from the grain/corn and a light bitterness. That's it and there's no feeling of any depth in flavour at all.

Light bodied with medium carbonation.

Drinkability? Too damn boring to enjoy this even on a hot summer's day. If I want a simple Lager that actually is refreshing from Miller, I'll stick with the High Life.

1.63/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours pale yellow with a quickly fading head.
Aroma shows faint malt, cooked vegetables, cardboard and something like decomposing leaves.
Sweet corn and rice flavours dominate, with almost no bitterness whatsoever.
Carbonation is huge, and of course, the body is extremely watery.

1.58/5  rDev -29.5%

A - Clear bottle and twist off cap is never good for beer. It's a straw yellow color and produces practically no head. What does form is gone rather quickly.

S - The smell is lacking. Not much there except for a small hint of hops, not really anything else.

T - The flavor produces a decent grain quality, but it's not very pronounced. This beer tastes mostly of water and does rather well at not being offensive.

M - Overly thin, no body at all. There just really aren't very many quality characteristics to this beer. Meh.

D - The whole point of this beer is to be drinkable, get tanked on. Well, with it's lack of charactere, I find the drinkability of this beer to be extremely low.

2.23/5  rDev -0.4%

Enjoyed at the Old Towne Tavern in Clarksville, Tennesee. Best Before: December 21, 2009.

Appearance: Pours out a crystal clear, light gold body with an inch high stand of simple white foam.

Smell: Tremendously light pale maltiness with the merest hint of hop essence. Some notable corn-inspired hints floating around in there as well.

Taste: More of that all-too light pale maltiness and corn-esque tastes with a moderate amount of sweetness. Just a bit of Tetrahop, with only an incredibly minute amount of bitterness (almost none) and no real hop flavor. Finishes with a final sweet taste that lingers a few moments beyond the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Ahh, cold-filter me away to beer heaven, Miller!

3.2/5  rDev +42.9%

another from the sixpack store macro reviews
poured from chilled bottle to clean pint glass.
appearance: pale straw yellow color with creamy head
smell grainy but not to strong.
taste and mouthfeel light bodied no metalic after taste.
its a pretty good beer for after for watching a football game with the guys.

2.4/5  rDev +7.1%

A- Pours a clear golden color with a thin white head that quickly settles to a small ring. No lacing left.

S- Faint alcohol and grain scents with a bit of corn.

T- Seltzer water with toasted grain and burnt corn flakes. The flavor isn't really offensive, just non-existent.

M- Light bodied with good carbonation.

D- Nothing was particularly *bad* about this beer but I could by many flavorful beers for the same price.

2.53/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Blonde, a few thin bubbles, white and creamy head.
Almost no smell. But at least nothing bad.
At the taste a hint of malt, and a bit of soda carbonation.
A bit more flavour than water.
Body, aftertaste, let it go. Some sweetness.
Clean. Almost no flavour, but, beside that, no defect.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.