Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Rumpole

2.9/5  rDev +28.9%

Miller’s ‘cold filtered’ Genuine Draft came out in the mid 80’s, and unlike other relatively recent trend beer introductions, went on to became Miller’s main market ‘premium’ beer, relegating the age-old High Life to budget ‘near-premium’ status. At a rather ‘premium’ $21 for a 30-pack in glamorous Worcester, MA, it competes directly with Budweiser and the original Coors Banquet. It does so, however, whilst spotting them a slight strength advantage: Miller’s internet-published abv for MGD is 4.7%, while both Bud and Coors post their full 5% right on the label.

As I write this, Miller is introducing a dramatically improved label for bottled MGD; let’s hope they do the same for the canned MGD too, because the current cans, while initially arresting with its effective black and gold color scheme, is otherwise too given to gee-whiz swishiness more suitable to a football helmet than to a can of beer. The photo featured here is a vintage 80’s piece; it hasn’t looked like that for some time.

MGD pours pale gold, similar to Miller’s Red Dog, not as pale as Budweiser. The kinship to Red Dog is evident in the scent too, which is unfortunate, but it’s not as detrimental here; grainy, with a sweet-sour note worked in that might catch you off guard if you’re not used to Miller brews.

On the palate, MGD starts off innocuously enough, with moderate body and maltiness. Not much hop top notes here, but the mid-range graininess is pleasant enough, as is the texture, although that isn’t quite in the Budweiser league. Where MGD distinguishes itself is at the end of the tasting, going on into the aftertaste. What words are there to describe it? A kind of musty sweet & sourness manifests itself here, surprisingly strong for what is intended as a mainstream macro. Unlike Budweiser, which starts off very light and hopes to lure you in with a fleeting fruitiness, MGD hits you with that aftertaste and hopes you get used to it and grow to like it. No doubt there is a strong flavor here for a macro, and the strategy must work, since this is one of Miller’s big-time bread-winners. It is very much a love it or lump it affair, however, and the Rumpole palate is inclined to pass -- with one big exception.

The ugly duckling of MGD’s at times wince-inducing aftertaste turns into a swan of rich mellow smoothness when one has this with a good smoke; thus aided, suddenly MGD’s flavor profile makes sense and comes together into a lovely flowing whole. Mind you, even unaided, MGD is still better coordinated than Red Dog, but it really seems like something extra is needed to tease out its full potential, and even at that it is one of those there-it-is, there-it-isn’t ephemeral things; but it appears often enough to keep you busy chasing after it. Non-smokers might want to try different foods; I have, but none so far have worked nearly as well as the dear old leaf. The only other beer that transformed itself like this in my experience was Molson Golden, another brew that underwhelms at first, but reveals hidden depths with a smoke.

Those who want a strong flavor out of their macro, and are flexible as to its sophistication, might give this one a try. Since I don’t smoke every day, this isn’t likely to be my everyday beer; I might keep a few on hand, however, for those mild nights when a smoke is just the thing, and MGD is most likely to put over its intriguing Jeckyll and Hyde act.

03-31-2006 17:55:29 | More by Rumpole
danielharper

3.18/5  rDev +41.3%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

A: Very clear pale yellow color, thin white head. To-style.

S: Sweet, corny, with a somewhat "off" aroma in the bottle. Not skunky, not oxidized, but somehow tinny and metallic. Aroma better on-tap than from the bottle -- rating reflects bottled aroma.

T: Clean corny flavor, sweet with an almost caramel-like flavor on the aftertaste. Better than most macros.

M: Thin but leaving lots of foam on the palate, actually quite enjoyable.

D: About as drinkable as a macro gets. With spicy food this can be a nice change-of-pace from good beer, so long as it's consumed ice cold. I'll get a five dollar pitcher of this from Buffalo Wild Wings from time to time and enjoy it more than if I'd ordered a pint of a better beer.

Overall, for the style, this is a really good beer.

03-27-2006 23:27:44 | More by danielharper
jamesdergen

2.4/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: Pale straw/yellow with a thin foamy white head. Pretty standard for the style.

Smell: Faint grainy sweetness, not much here.

Taste: Some sweet grains with a bit of pale maltiness. No hop presence whatsoever. Clean finish with some wheat flavor in there somewhere. No character to this beer.

Mouthfeel: More carbonated than I would like, but otherwise very smooth and light-bodied.

Drinkability: The poor taste and high carbonation are the only things detracting here. Goes down pretty easy.

I have no plans to ever drink this beer again, but I guess its not necessarily a bad beer, it's just quite obviously not a good beer. Not much else to say...

03-26-2006 05:23:14 | More by jamesdergen
jdmorgan

2.48/5  rDev +10.2%

I'm honestly not crazy about American macro lagers, but I won't discount them as being decent if you just want a beer to drink. I'll drink MGD to change it up sometimes when I'm not drinking Yuengling at the bar. I had this in a bottle and the color was straw/golden. The smell isn't very impressive and was pretty weak. The taste is pretty weak like you'd expect, but is still better than light beers. What really strikes me about MGD is that (atleast in a bottle) it's very carbonated. The mouthfeel was average, and like I said, bubbly. This carbonation seems to subside pretty quickly and the taste becomes somewhat bland when it gets warmer, so I would advise drinking it cold. I guess MGD is alright, but I wouldn't spend an entire evening drinking it as I feel it can get old rather quickly.

03-22-2006 22:26:45 | More by jdmorgan
DogFood11

1.9/5  rDev -15.6%

Much to my dismay when I ventured to my beer fridge to grab a coldy it was fully stocked, unfortunately none of the beers I would consider sessionable. Not in the mood to drive I walked to the corner store and picked up some MGD. I certainlly won't turn my nose up to macro's, good Sunday sports type of brew to me. Yeah the adjuncts get annoying but the thirst quenching, flavorless brew actually works in my book. MGD is a shade darker than its competition. Carbonation will grab your attention as its almost champagne like on the initial pour. Decent head fades rapidly w/ trace lacing. Kinda sweet, and as it warms it gets a sugary syrup texture, by all means drink it ice cold.

03-12-2006 20:05:46 | More by DogFood11
CaskofFlyingDog

Tennessee

1.65/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: good head, decent lacing
Smell: bittersweet - corn
Taste: corn, bitter
Mouthfeel: Sticky, Malt-liqoury, carbonated
Drinkability: I didn't care for this one at all but I can pretend and drink 4 at most.
My friend drinks this because it doesn't have a "hostile taste" I've gotten him to drink good beer now but he still likes this. I've tried to like it and I don't. I hate it.

03-06-2006 03:03:47 | More by CaskofFlyingDog
Mandrake

Nova Scotia (Canada)

1.65/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a very light yellow with a small, thin, fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing. Smell is grainy, with the adjuncts palpable in the slight aroma. Taste is, well.... lacking, and what is present is dominated by a slightly rotten corn taste. Mouthfeel is crisp and clean, but ultimately under-carbonated, and the drinkability is slightly less than average for the style. All in all, it's sub-par for even the macro lager scene, and there are others which are better choices if one is seeking a fairly flavourless and non-threatening drink.

03-04-2006 05:10:55 | More by Mandrake
jameaterblues

2.1/5  rDev -6.7%

So this isn't something that I would normally buy. I ended up with a 12 pack when my mom said that it would just sit at her house, and what did it do at mine, it just sat. Well the it pours a clear yellow color, with a small white head that lingers around the side of the glass. There really isn't much to the smell, I guess just beer smell nothing notable. Carbonation is slightly high, and there is not much taste grassy/corny kinda. This beer is kinda watery, and slight after taste but goes away fairly quickly. If you need a cheap beer this could be it? It washes down spicy food alright.

02-21-2006 07:11:16 | More by jameaterblues
hanco005

2.58/5  rDev +14.7%

There were 3 cans of this left in my bar fridge after the Super Bowl. I bought them for my father in law, thinking he would drink them all, but no. Thought I should review it since I hadn’t before. 12 oz mostly black can with gold trim poured into a pint glass.

A—pours a pale, yellow stray like color with about 1 inch bright white foamy head. The head quickly fizzles away, no lacing left on the glass

S—somewhat sweet and grassy/hay aromas

T—mild grains with nothing really dominate

M—thin and watery, lots of carbonation though

D—It’s ok, not disgusting or anything to slam about it, but not one I would drink by choice. When I have had this in the past, it is because it is the beer of choice for my father in law and its what he stocks in his fridge (I have learned to bring my own instead) I will leave the other two cans for him…

02-09-2006 19:11:54 | More by hanco005
DaveFL1976

1.78/5  rDev -20.9%

Don't ask why I'm drinking one of these in Australia. It's free. With a vigorous pour, MGD has a snow-white, fluffy head that actually sticks to the side of the glass a bit. It does settle down really quick and is reduced to a white film in short order. Not really much to look at.
The beer is light gold. Almost straw. Aroma is that of cardboard and corn. No hops at all. Mo malt at all. Just cardboard and corn.
Taste is almost not there. A little sweet. Corny. No evidence of natural malt or hops. Doesn't taste like a real beer. No aftertaste, either.
Mouthfeel's not too bad. Creamy and mouthfilling. It's only redeemable quality. Drinkability isn't great unless you're in the mood for corn on the cob.

01-30-2006 06:00:01 | More by DaveFL1976
maddamish

Tennessee

1.85/5  rDev -17.8%

Medium head that quickly disappears. Lacing is spotty.

The smell is rancid. It smells like swamp gas. I am going to assume it is from the can but with Miller, who knows?
The best way to describe this brew is "sugar water with a slight watermelon taste". This is a very sweet tasting beer hence it's gloss on the can "The Champagne of Beers!".

Overall not bad for a macro but nothing exciting going on here.

Notes: Shared with my old man at the kitchen table. He buys whatever is cheapest and I take the opportunity to review bad beer. I look at it this way. I wish the old man would buy better beer, but I get to review beer I normally wouldn't buy anyways.

01-25-2006 12:15:18 | More by maddamish
Wasatch

Utah

2.5/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a darker yellow, some carbonation, very small head, some lacing afterwards. Scent is malty and sweet. I like the taste for a macro, finishes kinda clean too. Medium body. Drinkable. This is my best American macro of the Big 3 I guess. When you can get a 12-pack for $5.99 it's not too bad, lol

01-23-2006 17:44:21 | More by Wasatch
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev +19.1%

It was yellow, not much head. smelled like corn. tasted like corn, rather unimpressive, pretty corny. Carbonation was not overly abundant but it was very watery. Makes it really easy to drink. This is not something I'd go out of my way to drink again, but I would recommend it to pretty much anyone who wants to get drunk off their ass with little or no effort.

01-12-2006 04:05:29 | More by funkengruven
scottum

Vermont

Pours out amber with a lame sickly fizzed out headskie. Tastes like an American Macro Lager, suprise suprise. Cheap, sweet, and watery tasting, but still better than Bud. Kinda on the fizzy side. I got through the glass though. Nothing special at all, but I wasn't really expecting this revisit to wow me. I'll stick to the craft beer thank you.

01-11-2006 22:01:41 | More by scottum
casualbeerman

2.75/5  rDev +22.2%

This is a little below average. I think MGD is the best of the "Big 3", but of course that is not saying much. It's got a little more body, color, and flavor than Bud or Coors, its not quite as bitter as Coors Origional, and no where near as nasty as Bud. Depending on when I drink it, I get different things out of it. I swear the first time I drank this out of a glass bottle the hops tasted like Jose Cuervo. Oh well, anyway the usual experience is a little sweetness up front but kind of watered down. Then come the hops which could be worse but are kind of bitter and tend towards that wierd chemical flavor that comes from Miller using cheap ingredients. Its kind of fizzy and the though sometimes the head will stick around a while, its always strangely light. Drinkability is average. This isn't a heavy beer, and its never disgusting. But once again, the aftertaste sure does get old after a while. How good is MGD? Good enough that I gladly drink it when its free. How bad is MGD? Well lets see I've bought MGD with my own money... well, never.

01-01-2006 07:40:23 | More by casualbeerman
willgro

MGD is terrible. It is not the worst thing in the world, and the Brits love it, but it is not good. It has no finish and can taste like a horses ass if you haven't downed 15. It is cheap, so I guess it has some admirable qualities, but the head disappears, it has a really weird aftertaste and no real flavors or complex anything going on.

12-25-2005 22:45:40 | More by willgro
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

2.28/5  rDev +1.3%

ahh yes, nothing like a plain old macro lager to review.... especially ones as average as MGD is. My buddy usually brings over MGD, who am I to complain? It's free beer after all... And I can bitch about it on BA.

Pale straw coloured lager, poured from a 330ml clear bottle. Weak-looking fizzy head fades quickly, mildly carbonated. Smell is of sour corn malts, not much in the way of hoppiness in the nose. Smells like beer all right... Hits the tongue with an initial hoppiness, but as it slides down the throat sours quickly. I imagine I smell "beery" after about one sip of this. I feel beery, that's forsure. A bit of a soft mouthfeel, not enough bite for me. Weak American beer, but even so, in a pinch (which I always am with most of my family or friends) this'll have to do.

12-08-2005 01:28:51 | More by trevorwideman
sevineyes

Arkansas

2.2/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a clear glass bottle featuring a black label with "genuine draft" across the center.

A: Very pale clear and yellow. Poured with little head and that disappeared quickly. No lacing.

S: Somewhat skunked but has a definite malt smell. Seems like there's something in the smell that reminds me of canned vegetables, but I really can't put a finger on it.

T: Flavor is very sweet with some citrus (lemon) following. Finishes pretty dry with almost no aftertaste.

M: Carbonation. Exceedingly watery.

D: Nothing is exactly wrong with the drinkability of this, but nothing's really pulling me to have another either.

Overall: Flavor is definitely the high point for this beer,

11-27-2005 00:31:55 | More by sevineyes
Pepeton

Mexico

2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Got this one in a friends house who invited me to meet his newborn. So how can I refuse a macro?

Straw yellow, little head and near to nothing lacing.

Smell is sweet, somes malts and maybe, only maybe, a hint of hops.

Taste is sweet, fizzy, adjuncts.

Mouthfeel is crisp, mildly bitter and with a dry finish.

This one was for free, the next will be also.

¡Salud!

11-08-2005 16:33:36 | More by Pepeton
jakester

2.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a light straw yellow, very fizzy, with a one finger head of white bubbles. Surprisingly, the head sticks around for a while, with decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is pretty strong DMS, light pils malt, with maybe a little spicy hops way in the back.

This tastes better than it smells. The flavor is pretty sweet, light bready pils malt, a matching level of hop bitterness, and maybe a faint spicy/citrus hop flavor. Aftertaste is short, sweet, and mostly flavorless.

Mouthfeel is watery and fizzy, with a sharp zing across the tongue from carbonation. Finish is a short lived fizziness.

Pretty much a standard American fizzy yellow flavorless lager. The smell is really bad, but the flavor is OK for what it's supposed to be. I certainly wouldn't buy this, but at a wedding reception, it was fun to review.

10-30-2005 12:57:14 | More by jakester
evanackerman

2.55/5  rDev +13.3%

this is another macro i decided to try just for the sake of having tried it, it is quite boring, i don't really know what to say about it. poured a straw yellow color with a ton of carbonation. smell was very strange, for some reason it smelled like raw chicken to me, not very appetizing. taste was almsot non existent except for a bit of astringent graininess. mouthfeel was thin and a bit astringent, drinkability is high due to waterlike qualities.

just another faceless macro that doesn't distinguish itself in any way from the masses.

10-29-2005 23:46:45 | More by evanackerman
AltBock

2.8/5  rDev +24.4%

I got this on-tap for only .90 a 12oz.

I thought this beer was going to taste and smell like nothing, boy was I wrong. Poured a clear yellow color with a white head of foam that dissipated quickly. At first the only aroma was alcohol, but when I swirled it around, I got some kind of a fruit smell in the background. The taste was average, but it had just a little bit more flavor than most average macros. This was another beer that the mouthfeel was a bit too watery and thin for me. If you can this as cheap as me, then it's worth it.

10-28-2005 02:45:28 | More by AltBock
nekronos

Mexico

2.98/5  rDev +32.4%

NOw, this is what I was talking about, perhaps the worst beer I have ever tried. The tatse is like drinking a tire. And the mouthfeel is the worst, because you can feel it even after 5 years. Believe me, you do not want to mess with this beer, if you dirnk it, it will get even with your worst beer dreams.

10-20-2005 13:57:53 | More by nekronos
NJpadreFan

2.05/5  rDev -8.9%

Miller Genuine Draft

Getting ready to watch the NLS ( Cards/ Astros)
The only thing left in the fridge other than a budweiser. Beers my friends left behind.

Appearance- light yellowish orange with very little head. Very bubbly.
Smell- skunked malt. Sweet smelling, some hay and dry grass.
Taste- sweet and extremely watery light, very light, malt. Hints of skunkiness.
Mouthfeel- So watery. heavy on the carbonation.

Overall- Definitely not worth buying if you want a decent tasting Lager. This is a great beer drinking game beer. I would drink it if that was all there was at the party but I wouldn't be having a good time!

10-14-2005 00:01:24 | More by NJpadreFan
Daredevil

Switzerland

1.83/5  rDev -18.7%

Some years ago I made a one off business trip to Milwaukee and on a free afternoon me and my colleague went to visit the Miller brewery. I was a bit disappointed to learn that despite the German roots of the founders the Reinheitsgebot (Purity Law of 1516 stating that beer be made only from malt, hops and water) is not adhered to. Such is rarely a sign of quality and in the case of the big American brewers (AB, Miller, Coors) the reasons seem to be rather economic. No surprise then the brew is totally bland, watery and insignificant. As it is commercially highly successful it may seem that some drinkers are scared of taste ...

10-13-2005 19:38:46 | More by Daredevil
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.