Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
3.13/5  rDev +39.7%

Found this refugee in my cooler following my 25th Grad reunion on the weekend.

Decent looking lager with a slighly darker straw hue and a nice, dare I say, almost rich looking head that took it's time fading away. Nice little gobs of lacing stuck to the sides of the glass that I hope is a result of a ton of corn syrup.Note a sweet, slightly grainy smell along with a hint of green apple fruitiness. Smooth uptake with an almost sharp Granny smith Aplle taste that is only there for an instant. Some bold, cereal-like malt and a barely there hint of hop round out the flavour. Maybe a tad watery at first and quite light in body, but overall a very drinkable macro.

2.23/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance - 2.5
Poured a thin layer of white head, which actually had decent staying power. Relatively pale straw in colour, looks highly carbonated.

Smell - 2.0
I am pleased to note that I can detect no skunk, so this is not a tainted beer. There is a vague trace of corn, and barely detectable hops. Not much smell at all.

Taste - 2.0
Wow, this really is the essense of cheap macro lagers, and tastes much like many cold filtered Aussie beers. Very little taste upfront, slightly bitter in the finish and moderately dry. Some sweetness and little aftertaste (which is a good thing, as I wouldn't really want to be tasting this long after I'd drank it).

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Quite smooth and crisp, feels light in the mouth with moderate to high carbonation. If it had some nice taste it would go down easily.

Drinkability - 2.5
In my younger years I could easily have swilled two sixpacks of this from the bottle. Now that I have consideration for my tastebuds, I'd rather not have a second.

OVERALL - 2.25
I had heard bad things about this beer before reviewing, but I have tried to be as objective as I can. Not the worst beer I've ever tried, this is not really offensive, moreso bland with a little unappealing taste. I'm sure this would be just as good from the bottle, but at $4 each, this is a total rip-off in Australia, and I will probably never drink it again.

3.16/5  rDev +41.1%

First thing's first,i basically grew up with this beer and it followed me all through high school.Thanks to my grandpa and dad for that.When i'm not in the mood for a higher priced great craft brew i find myself buying this beer often...can only.It is your typical big brew beer...rice,little malt smell,etc. This beer for me is great on a warm day out at the lake cooking out and relaxing and thats about it. I'm sure my childern will pick up on this beer too,after sneaking some from the fridge,and feel the same way i do abuot it.

2.63/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

355 ml clear bottle.

A- Clear golden yellow. White head of large bubbles. Head dissappears quickly but leaves some lacing. Moderate bubbliness.

S- Slightly skunked. pale malt. Citrussy hops. Grain.

T- Crisp and clean light lager taste. Not much flavour, but somehow doesn't taste like water either. Hops faint but noticeable with tastes of citrus and grassy herbs. Some graininess. The elements of the flavour don,t quite come together to make a good whole. A bit off really.

MF- Crisp, light bodied. Above average for an American macro lager.

D- Refreshing. easy to drink but od limited interest because of blah aroma and flavour.

2.51/5  rDev +12.1%

Fizzy gold with a strangely retentive snow white head.

Aroma of mild malts is tainted by fruity and cooked veggie DMS tones.

Taste is very light and sweet on the tongue. Some corn comes through but it's a fresh, on-the-cob flavor rather than husky. Hops in the finish just at the threshold of detectability.

Mouthfeel is average, there's a slightly disconcerting "slidy" feeling on the tongue. Still, easy enough to drink.

A very average lawnmower beer. Passes the "would you drink it if it's cold and free?" test.

2.71/5  rDev +21%

A - Very light straw colour with quite a large head that quickly falls away to a thin whisp.
S - Sweet cereal grain aroma, bit of corn that becomes more pronounced as the beer gets warmer.
T - Again sweet graininess. A bit of bittering hops.
M - Medium bodied and highly carbonated.
D - Drinkable if no other options are available.

3.3/5  rDev +47.3%

First of all, I must admit, MGD is one of my favorite macro lagers. I try not do drink them, but if I do, I like to drink MGD. Now, that being said...Pours a darker yellow color with a quickly dissipating head (poured from a bottle into a pint glass). Smells like a typical macro, mostly of corn, grains, and alcohol. The taste is fairly light, especially to those who appreciate much better beer. Though, for the style, definitely one of the better, more pronounced beers. Light in the mouth, and easy to drink, although lacking in taste (all typical of the style). I guess it's kind of like that saying about winning the special Olympics... in the end you're still a retard. In conclusion, if I drink macro lager, I try to drink MGD, because it has one of the better/stronger tastes..

2.47/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

i like this beer. it is fairly decent for a light beer for bbq and lawnmowing. clear bottles are a bad idea. gold color. decent head and carbonation. grainy smell and taste.

very refreshing on a hot day.

cheap and easy to find. not bad for a macro.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

1.33/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured into an Alaskan Summer Ale glass.

A - A transparent straw color w/ a 3 finger sudsy white head

S - Adjuncts mostly corn in the nose. Gives of a cooked vegetable smell that is overly sweet.

M - Extremely carbonated and light. So much like alka-seltzer it leaves the mouth feeling dry. There is a smidge of light malt in there when I focus very hard.

T - The lager has very little actual beer taste. I think the canned version is smoother, but it still has very little malt flavor. I consider it a palate cleanser with it's carbonation overruling the adjunct heavy - light on taste beer.

D - It is better than some light beers I'm sure, but barely. It can be refreshing if you quaff it after chopping trees or digging holes, maybe. I will not return to this unless there is no other option.

3.7/5  rDev +65.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

From a clear 12 ounce long-neck bottle. Pours pale yellow with a 1" head, some lacing. Aroma is mild, corny, some slight metallic note.
Taste is mild malts with just the slightest hop taste in the finish. Mouthfeel is on the watery end of the spectrum. The biggest plus is drinkability. Good values abound in this arena.

Update: Oct. 14, 2014.
Pours clear gold with two plus fingers of dense foamy white head that stays longer than any other macro beer I have had. Nice rings of lace stick to the side of the glass.
Smell is malty grains with some herbal hop aroma.
Taste is sweet grainy malts with just a bit of herbal hop bitterness. The bitterness is more apparent if you drink more than one.
Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied just enough carbonation.
Overall an excellent warm weather beer. It does help to check the best by date.

1.91/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a clear straw color with a small soapy head that dissipated quickly, leaving no cap. Left some nice lacing on the side of the glass. The smell is of corn, grain. The taste has an artificial sweetness flavor and corn, some metallic aftertaste. The feel is watery, not overly carbonated and a bit astringent. Its a fine cooler beer but nothing that I would look for.

3.77/5  rDev +68.3%

Draft beer in a bottle is as good as it gets with MGD. Goes down smooth and tastes great. Nothing fancy, this is a great bbq beer. Throw some burgers on the grill, crack open an MGD and have a great day out in the sun.

Not the best beer made by Miller, but a great cold filtered brew.

2.88/5  rDev +28.6%

This is my favourite American beer. I tried it a few times here in Canada (brewed by Molson under license) and was pleasantly surprised. After moving to Memphis Tennessee, I tried it there, and was even more pleasantly surprised, an American brewed beverage that was better than it's Canadian brewed counterpart (unlike Budwesier, Coors, Coors Light, and Miller High Life). This is the one American beer I come back to from time to time.

The aroma is pleasant with some slight malty tones. The colour is a light golden colour similar to straw. The taste is slightly malty with some grassy undertones. It is very crisp on the tongue with some mild carbonation. A nice refreshing beer for an American macrobrew.

2.05/5  rDev -8.5%

When I was visiting my girlfriend's family in Winnipeg I got stuck twice with only MGD on offer. I realized that this beer is drinkable only when ice cold cause it warms up the nasty corn flavours creep out and the finish goes sweet. The clear bottle and piss colour only add to the bad appearance. Makes me realize how much I like Carib or PBR as versions of this style

1.4/5  rDev -37.5%

First of all I don’t like the transparent bottle. Second: this is not my type of beer, but anyway here I go…

Appearance: clear with a medium gold color. The head is white, low and fades quickly without a trace of lacing.
Aroma: very light aroma (kind of malty if I try really hard).
Taste: adjuncty. No hops.
Mouthfeel: dry, gassy, low alcoholic strength.
Finish: kind of a metallic aftertaste. Very short (fortunately!).

Overall: Nothing there. I certainly will not have another one.

2.49/5  rDev +11.2%

Tried a can of this for free recently on my recent Florida vacation. I certainly would never pay for this beer. Poured into a pint glass. This beer is a clear, light gold color. The head is a good 1/2 inch when poured before settling to 1/4 inch. Surprisingly good head retention after it settles. Never would have though MGD would have this good head retention. Very little lacing though. The smell is tinny, or aluminum like with a trace of grain, malt, hops and maybe some corn or other vegetable abstract. Has an uninteresting, slightly sweet malty taste with maybe just the slightest hint of hops. Fairly bland taste overall. Has a crisp mouthfeel with a light body and fairly heavy carbonation. Easy to drink, but not in the way a good beer should be. Nothing special here.

Eric

1.88/5  rDev -16.1%

OK so this is not my type of drink at all, but I was given a bottle whilst visiting somebody's house and I had to be polite.

The lager poured a light yellow colour with a light frothy head that materialised into nothing after a few seconds. The fragrences were non existant, just a smell of weak hops and nothing else.

This theme then continued through to the taste, bland with a very wattery mouthfeel. This was an advantage as it could be finished quite quickly. So that made it slightly drinkable, but why would I want to put myself through that again.

2.35/5  rDev +4.9%

So I usually have craft beers, but I was at a party and had to choose between Dos XX and MGD. I went with the American, er, S.African, brew.
Bottle, clear glass doesn't hide the pale yellow/gold beer. Head wasn't much, a bit frothy but did not last long. Smell of grains, malt and something off-sweet. Not sure.
Tastes the same as any other macro, but just a bit richer in...rice, grain? Something. A bit thicker than Bud or PBR.
Drank quite well after convincing myself this was the better option. Goes down fast and was good for the party, I didn't have to think about it.

1.2/5  rDev -46.4%

This beer is curtousy of another BA who will remain nameless.
Sampled straight from the clear glass bottle.
I simply can't give anything that looks like piss a higher rating than 1 for appearance. The head, lace, ect... is irrelavant. This beer looks like urine!
This beer smells like the corn I use to catch trout on a hot summer day.
Taste is malty and sweet. More flavor than your typical macro lager, but that's not a good thing here. Very harsh sour apple aftertaste that lingers. I wish it would go away.
I must admit that Miller hit the carbonation head on with this beer. Nicely carbonated which gives it a crisp mouthfeel.
I strongly feel that if you want something this light in body and flavor...something refreshing...on a hot summer day...do the Christian thing, drink water.
Oh well, it's off to the drain with this one.
As a side note. This beer does pair well with microwavable Ore Ida Bagel Bites.

3.75/5  rDev +67.4%

My first introduction to something beyond the standard American pilsners, MGD offers a liitle more in flavor. Pours standard pale pilsner yellow with a light head that lingers for a short while. Smells of hops with a bit of something more complex. Tastes well-blanced with an even tug-of-war between the malt and hops. The finish wins the match with a sweet, malty overtone that makes this an above average macro-lager. Light-to-medium mouthfeel that is highly drinkable. A perfect light summer beer. Goes good with almost any food.

2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

Light yellow in color. Head is a brief memory after the pour.

Smell is light, but unappetizing. Yeasty/malty.

Taste is very slightly malty. That's about it.

Mouthfeel is very thin in viscosity and very aggressive carbonation. Soda pop.

Drinkability? I can't lie, I must say this is drinkable.

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

I’ve had more MGD than any other beer. Pale color with plenty of carbonation, thin white head, clean smell and taste no real after taste. Nothing stands out as good or bad. The price is right and I’m sure it will me in my fridge most days. It’s most welcome on a hot day.

2.38/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Into a pint glass a pale golden clear color with few bubbles. One-finger white foam head fades quickly to a bit of scattered cap and a thin ring, with trace lacing. Nose of faint malt and not much else. Taste of very light malt flavor with a touch of sweetness. Mouth is middle-thin, moderately carbonated, and rather plain. Drinkability is OK, nothing particularly interesting. Certainly non-offensive.

Overall: What’s the point? Avoid.

3.23/5  rDev +44.2%

Tasted along with Miller High Life for comparison (from forum post earlier about similarities between the two). The beer was poured from a 24oz big can into an Okocim glass (0.5L, very nice glass). Head started out strong, then fizzled out leaving some chunky lace on the glass and a wannabe ring after a few sips. Beer is pale gold similar to High Life, but none of the bubbles are there. I would choose High Life over this just for the amazing bubbles. Smell is almost the same as the High Life, but taste is fuller and carries on with the smell, not so great. This is less sweet, with a little more of a grainy aftertaste that the High Life did not have. Although these beers are practically the same (minus the pasteurization difference), I think High Life takes the cake on appearance and drinkability. Plus it was $0.20 cheaper!

2.38/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ah, my favorite beer in the teen years. fizzy, rapidly dimishing large bubbles pass for a head. for some reason i used to enjoy the sweet corn adjunct flavor in this beer. at least it was something a little better than bud. no discernable hop aroma, light bodied, decent balance to this beer for what it is. blond and overly carbonated as you all know. i don't think i'll ever have one again unless i have a midlife crisis or something.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.