Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +55.4%

355ml clear bottle served in a pint glass. This is the Canadian version. At one time I know at it was brewed by Molson, but in the past few years the label has said "Imported" so I'll assume that this is now the same beer as that in the states.

Clear, pale straw yellow in colour. White head has big bubbles and is 1/4 inch thick. Reduces to a thin circle around the edge while leaving lace.

Aroma is grainy and sweet with a slight hoppy-bitter undertone.

Crisp and clean and smooth. These go down easy, but have very mild flavour characteristics. Slightly sweet and slightly bitter at the swallow making a nice balance. Grainy, and slightly acidic, aftertaste that hangs around for awhile.

Light bodied mouthfeel and fizzy. Nothing special here, but it goes down smooth.

While this isn't a beer that gives you a whole lot in the flavour department, there isn't anything offensive about it either. MGD is actually one of the better macros, and one that I drink regularly when in establishments that don't serve craft beer.

Noxious26, Jul 10, 2005
2.35/5  rDev +4.9%

It makes a great free beer! It looks brightly golden with yellow tones and a sparkling white head. Don't blink--you'll miss it. Smells grainy sweet with vegitable (corn) flavors. Acidic and scrubs the palate a bit. Finishes grainy and vegie like, though clean. All in all, it's an average beer for a mass produced lager.

BEERchitect, Jul 05, 2005

Haven't had this in quite a while, but remember it clearly. Wasn't glass worthy but everyone knows this stuff is pale yellow/gold. Taste was the same as most of macros I've had except the finish was dominated by some kind of metal (aluminum?). Thin effervescent mouthfeel. I would say it's a good summer thirst quenching beer but it's brother High Life does that better.

BrewMaven, Jul 04, 2005
2.35/5  rDev +4.9%

Miller Genuine Draft is a decent enough macro-lager. It's a non-threatening choice for those who want a light, partytime type of beer.

MGD pours with a clean straw coloring and a thin head. The nose is slightly bitter and foul-smelling.

The taste is somewhat sour, with a bitter and biting aftertaste. There are hints of hops, and something of a cracker dryness to the body. Not very impressive. Very light in texture, the taste never develops into something interesting.

Decent enough mouthfeel. Not especially drinkable.

This is not a macro that I would really recommend, although I know a lot of people who swear by this beer. It's just a little too sharp and raw for my taste. If I'm going macro, I'm going with something smooter and more full-bodied, like a High Life or a Stroh's.

Dubblebock, Jun 23, 2005
2.05/5  rDev -8.5%

Fizzy white head with surprisingly decent retention. Patches of subtle lacing with average strength. Clean straw/brass in color.

Distinct rice and corn; dusty and even dirt-like in aroma.

Corn, rice, and grain flavors; not so evident at first, but by mid-sip they are in full force. Slightly astringent iron-ringed component, followed by a burst of carbonation and bitterness filled with a corn-husk flavor. The aftertaste is rotten corn/cabbage and rice.

Light bodied; overly carbonated: probably to drown out the nauseating flavor. Prickly and thin on the palate.

It is what it is...crap. This macro is almost painful to drink. The aftertaste is really tough to get passed. You're better off throwing this out before you open it.

NEhophead, Jun 15, 2005
2.88/5  rDev +28.6%

Granted that this is a macro, take the ratings in account compare to other macros.

Pours light golden straw, white head, recedes quickly etc etc.

Faint grain aroma, not too much else.

Smooth flavor overall, light indistinguishable malt profile, little veggies, but not too much. Little to no hop bitterness and finishes with a distinctive grain character with a touch of dextrin sweetness.

Highly carbonated, goes down pretty easy. Much better than the other macros in my opinion, but that still isn't saying much.

beersarang, May 27, 2005
2.4/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Out of a forty. Medium-light yellow beer with a large, white, frothy, mostly diminishing head. Quite a bit of sticky lacing.

Smell: Dough, grain and cereal with a very light herbal hops presence. Actually, not too shabby for a watery macro. Doesn’t have that adjunct stink many have.

Taste: Sweet and smooth. Bread, corn and a slight fruitiness to it. Again, not bad… until you get to the finish. It turns metallic, and then leaves you with this powdery feeling in your mouth that’s not very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, watery texture turning dry on the finish, lively carbonation.

Drinkability: After the smell and the initial taste, I was a bit impressed. Even started thinking could this be a new camping and lawn mowing beer. But no, the finish ruined it. That powdery dryness is just not good coming from a cheap, watery, thirst-quencher. Lost MAJOR points there.

ski271, May 07, 2005
2.3/5  rDev +2.7%

Sampled as part of my ongoing quest for the best cheap canned beer for the lake. Haven't found it yet. Poured a typical pale golden-straw. Easily generated a meringue-like fluffy head - in fact on fairly vigorous pour caused so much foaming that most of the carbonation went out of that part of the beer. Aroma was a vague suggestion of malt and cooked corn. Clean and astringent, bordering on tart. Finish was a bit muddled, with some nondescript, but not particularly hoppy, bittering and a lingering cooked corn grits taste.

Brent, May 03, 2005
2.28/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured out to a dark golden color, with a medium bubbly head. Seemed to pour with a bit of viscosity. Aroma of corn and husk are noted, as well as a touch of sweetness. Flavor is overpowering, with corn as the main flavor, with only notes of alcohol and hops being present.Finished with a heavy aftertaste of corn and almost sticky mouthfeel. This is not a great beer, but for what it is, I suppose it's not terrible. Worth a try.

Frozensoul327, May 02, 2005
2.42/5  rDev +8%

This is a beer that we used to buy in 30 packs in college.

It doesn't taste that much different from any other macro. There may be a little more corn/cheese taste to this one, but it isn't that original. Very much you can taste the adjuncts giving it cereal/corn undertones.

Not a beer I would recommend, but it holds a place for me in memory. Not very differnt from any other macro asice from memories of $12 a 30 pack and many funny nights.

gotbeer, Apr 15, 2005
2.2/5  rDev -1.8%

Straw yellow bubbly white head. For a macro I must say the head retention is not bad. Smells grainy with some soft malts. Kind of bland. Very smooth with a decent amount of carbonation. Taste like grains, light malts, and faint hops. Has a corn aftertaste and finishes dry. Not bad not good. Just your average US Macro Lager.

Luigi, Apr 14, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Light yellow and quite bubbly. Thick soapy white, but quickly dissipating head. Lacing.

Smell - Somewhat prominent for a macro, but pure adjunct.

Taste - Sweet adjunct malt with a slight metallic tang. Evidence of hops in the sour finish. This beer gets credit for the existence of flavor, but demerits for a not-so-pleasant taste.

Mouthfeel - Light and tangy.

Drinkability/Intangibles - I think the cans have a cool color scheme, so that's a positive. Calling a beer in a can "genuine draft," however, is strikingly poor form. No good reason to have this beer in one's fridge.

scaliasux, Mar 30, 2005
2.53/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From notes, consumed Sat. Mar. 19. Why am I having this? Oh yeah, two people I know call this their favorite beer. Why not give it a serious try?

Appearance: Clear bottle, when the cap is removed the carbonation bubbles begin to rise to the top. I should pour this in a glass, but all I have is a used pint glass, and I can't geek that much. Beer in the bottle is gold, somewhat darker in color than most macros.

Smell: Grainy, a little malty, sweet. When asked why I was sniffing the bottle top I copped out and said I was checking the beer to make sure it wasn't skunked. A perfect chance to be a good BA and explain myself, but I didn't want to look like a beer geek.

Taste: The same I get from all Miller products. A sweetness that I don't know what it is, nor can I really explain it.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, light and carbonated. Not quite a draft beer, but you gotta give'em props for a unique marketing tool. A side note: never having had the MGD Light is it flavored water?

Drinkability: One can pound out a few of these in a night. However, I am not that one.

BigRedN, Mar 23, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +29.5%

poured a light pale color that was perfectly clear with a nice long-lasting head. Not much to say about the smell except that it is typical of this style of beer. The taste was not offensive and it would be easy to drink a lot of these in one sitting. Little if any aftertaste

tgbljb, Mar 06, 2005

I was offered this as a 25 cent sample bottle by a plucky young blond promo girl. I realize I'm likely the last guy in the world to try this, and Miller High Life's always been one of my all time least favorites, but I decided to give this "Genuine Draft" in a bottle a whirl.

Visually a bit too much on the yellow side for my taste. Not much of a head either.

The scent, however, is something truly terrible, though it seemed familiar somehow. It finally dawned on me that I'd smelled something similar when I was touring a whiskey plant once. Hefty amount of corn in this one...as becomes extra clear on your first sip. We're talking liquid corn here.

Still, it goes down fairly smooth, and would score decently on the mouthfeel, if it wasn't for this odd, ever so slight metallic twinge on the aftertaste. It's not big, but enough to cut down on the drinkability a bit. Wherever you are, you can probably do better than this.

SetarconeX, Feb 20, 2005
2.38/5  rDev +6.2%

When macros are available, at least American macros, this is the one for me. I always go pop one open reluctantly and anticipate the worst but MGD seems to surprise me every time I have it, which is once a year at best. This isn't to say that this is a good beer. It isn't. It is just a decent macro.

Like most macros, the appearance is weak. Usually it is straight from the can so I don't let that bother me. It is better than some of the scary colors that Bud and Coors produce, though. Never a good head. There is no smell, really. It is a beer without much to say in its aroma.

It is smooth on the tongue and is refreshing but there is nothing distinctive, nothing beyond it saying, "I'm a beer." Subtle, slightly malty, no aftertaste that makes you gag.

Again, nothing special about this one but definitely bearable.

misterscooter, Feb 08, 2005
1.6/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I went out to eat last night at a place that pretty much serves macros and not much else. I eyeball the scant selection, think "what the hell", and order a draft MGD.
Arriving in a standard pint glass, not frozen *thank you Jesus!*, MGD had a clear yellow color topped by an artificial-looking soapy head that's blindingly white and shriveled up in no time, leaving no lace. Big blobs of carbonation lazily drifted to the surface.
A sniff, then another, and I can't get anything to register on my olfactory radar. Finally, after a couple more efforts, I catch a faint whiff of husky malts and sugars, almost like a kid's cereal. The taste certainly seemed like a kiddie cereal. Sweet pale malts, a vcorn-like quality and sugary sweetness had me thinking I was drinking Frosted Flakes. No discernible hops bittering but a lurking astringency and faintly metallic bite in the finish which turned brackish. The feel was light and quite crisp.
Every once in a while I find myself overcome by the urge to try something I know I probably shouldn't. While taking MGD out for a spin again wasn't as dangerous as, say, sky-diving or bungee-jumping, I certainly didn't do my palate any favors. Neither should you.

Boilermaker88, Jan 25, 2005
3.25/5  rDev +45.1%

Presentation: 355ml clear glass bottle, ABV 4.7% (Canadian import)

Appearance: Nice golden color. I like it. Moderate foam neck. Enough for me, because I like to drink my beer as a fluid, not foam. 1" neck is enough, because it won't spill on you (ex: Heineken)

Smell: It smells the regular macro adjunct lager. Not much to say on that.

Taste: Average, not a fancy beer, but a good everyday macro.

Mouthfeel: Dry, but ok.

Drinkability: Ok, that's a macro, but a very good macro. I don't like its higher price here, but that's one of the best sellers in Winnipeg,Manitoba. I don't know why, because I don't see here (Quebec), except exception (market tests?)

Barraclou, Jan 19, 2005
2.88/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured a 12oz. can into a Pilsner glass and a one-finger head formed that surprising lasted nearly the entire duration of the sample. Ample carbonation fed up the sides of the glass and helped to feed the head.

Appearance was very clear yet a bit more of a golden hue than its Bud or Corona counterparts of the same style. The smell was of faint hops and grain, certainly nothing enticing, but not discouraging either.

A light-moderate mouthfeel on the palate lent it self to feeling a bit heavier than others of the style and tasted much less watered down than Bud. A slight metallic taste was lent from the can but it did not overtly taint the taste. As adjuct lagers go, the one I would probably be apt to buy, though nothing I would want to make a habit of drinking.

Sycodrummer, Jan 04, 2005
1.93/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty much every mainstream American lager has a corny taste to it, but it's almost overpowering in MGD. The corny taste combined with the grainy, heavily carbonated mouthfeel makes MGD one of the least drinkable mass-produced lagers on the market. It's still pretty easy to drink, but there are many better choices out there if you're after a cheap, easy-to-drink beer.

bearrunner44, Jan 01, 2005
2.23/5  rDev -0.4%

pours a golden color, with a nice lace head. The apperance is slightly better than other adjunct lagers. The nose is you can smell the adjunct and maybe a hint of malt. The mouthfeel is that of club soda. Ok beer, very drinkable. Merry Christmas, this beer could be paired well with spicy foods

aquaderek, Dec 25, 2004
1.8/5  rDev -19.6%

Had one of these at a family gathering this weekend. I'm going to give this the benefit of the doubt on the appearance score since I consumed it directly from the can. I detected little aroma. and what I did detect was light cooked-corn aroma. Taste, on the first mouthfull, was lightly grainy with more cooked corn, followed by a non-descript sour aftertaste. On subsequent gulps, I really didn't taste much at all... except that sour aftertaste. Just the tiniest bit of hop was detected on the first swallow... then nothing. Watery mouthfeel. Not quite as fizzy as other macros. It does go down pretty easy... but I don't know why you'd want it to! After one of these, I switched to soda for the rest of the evening!

jimdkc, Nov 09, 2004
1.45/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Why am I doing this to myself? The appearance is the best thing about this beer, even though I dumped it into my mug at a ferocious pace without anything resembling a head. It's like a quadruple filtered yellow. This beer tastes like corn - and vegtables - and more corn! Where are malt and hops? Smells unappetizing as well, mostly just vegtables. I'm drinking this stuff ice cold. If it tastes horrible when this cold, and with so much stuff filtered out of it, then I don't want to know what they filtered out of this beer. I'd rather have a slightly warm budweiser.

Do not pay for this beer.

Refuse if offered.

Stay Away.

moocey, Nov 08, 2004
2.6/5  rDev +16.1%

Cold-Filtered, lets see if it makes a difference.

Appearance-A smooth, golden, inviting color. Big head at the beginning but quickly dissapears leaving sticky foam in its wake. Nice.

Smell- alcohol present from the top, hints of corn and possibly cabbage. The metal of the can dosen't seem to hurt it, I'm impressed.

Taste-When they said Cold-Filtered they weren't kidding...where's the flavor!??!? The alcohol is there but no flavorful hops, nothing for your mouth to feed on at all. Sure it's cold but it really is filtered in that all the flavor is gone, you just taste solid watery filtered alcohol.

Mouthfeel-there is no aftertaste (whether that is good or bad is anyone's guess) because there are no flavors that even touched your tastebuds to remember, Slight alochol finish, but that's all you taste. Not pleasent on the mouth at all.

Drinkability-still easy enough to drink, even though flavor is lacking, once you have enough I guess you don't care. I mean come on I know they hate Bud but at least it takes like something.

Overall- just like Foster's I was fooled by an inviting appearance only to be dissapointed by the taste. Yet at least Foster's was bland from it's flavor and not the fact that it has been "Cold-Filtered" to absolute death. A sub-standard lager, I never thought I'd say this but I would recommend going with its younger brother Miller Lite because at least it tastes more like beer and not filtered liquid.

TheDeuce, Oct 14, 2004
2.45/5  rDev +9.4%

a- bright yellow color, little white head
s- a corn and hops smell
t- can taste the corn and the hops however to watered down
m and d- not much differnt than the taste. drinkability was high do to being watered down.

I'd say i'd avoid this. Just has no real flavor outside corn and hops.

beerguy04, Oct 04, 2004
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.