Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev +19.6%

I had a bottle of this at a party I was just at, I guess it is one of the macros of choice. The smell had a rather malty smell for an American Macro Lager. The taste was absent. I mean completetly gone, nothing...nothing at all. The color was a light yellow. There isn't much to say about this, but all in all it wasn't the worst beer I have had.

2.08/5  rDev -7.1%

Bought this 22oz can at the grocery store for a little over a dollar....not a bad deal.

A - Light yellow perfectly clear brew with a one finger head of bone white bubbles...good duration during the five minutes it took me to swill this sucker down (I was hot and very thirsty). A shade or two darker than your average BMC macro lager.

S - Not much aroma aside from the usual macro scent of corn and rice adjuncts. Smells a bit crisper than the regular old Miller or Bud. Basically smells like corn flakes.

T - Sweet cornflake ceral and rice. Not too bad, but nowhere near good.

M - Light and crisp with an abundance of carbonation. A sickeningly sweet finish wraps things up. Absolutley no aftertaste, which could be construed as a good thing due to the poor flavor of this brew.

D - Pretty good for quenching your thirst on a hot day. I've always liked this one much better than other BMC products, but upon reviewing this beer....it's not that much different. All of these BMC lagers really fall into a very narrow spectrum of flavors...and it's not that easy to tell one from the other.

2.13/5  rDev -4.9%

All I can say about this is it is light enough and cheap enough that you can (and I have in younger days) drink a load of these at once. Beyond that, the aroma is almost skunky, the taste is typical BMC grain flavor, and the palate dry and non-impressive. It’s amazing how things change, as I used to really enjoy this beer before I started drinking and rating real beers.

2.42/5  rDev +8%

Poors a grainy, straw color from 12 oz twist off bottle. Has minor foam retention and a minor lace remains throughout. Smell is grainy, can't really distinguish the adjunct smell. Taste is crisp and grainy, minor hint of barley but the adjunct dominates on the palate. The aftertaste is pretty bad, a dry, chalky like feel on the back of the throat.

All and all a better beer as measured by taste and drinkability than the King of Beers.

2.63/5  rDev +17.4%

Dinner at the parents and the best thing in the house is MGD. Looks stellar clear golden ok head but not good retention. Not a lot here to smell just your standard lager fare. The taste is rather ok the beer isn't too cold and I rather enjoy it warmer. There is a presence of hops in the finish and this isn't the worst thing ever. It has a decent body and finishing 2 of these with dinner is alright.

3.2/5  rDev +42.9%

This poured a clear light golden, sudsy head that left slight collar most of the way through.

slight apple aroma..sweet grain.

Taste was similar to smell, kind of a sweet grain taste, with ghost like apples on the aftertaste.

mouthfeel was decent, crisp and creamy.

drinkability isn't bad at all, it is pretty smooth, and as far as macro-lagers go ...it's very drinkable IMO.

2.42/5  rDev +8%

The traditional 12oz longneck with the 'Cold Filtered' label. I poured mine into a pint glass.

Light yellow transparent brew. This lace sticks to the glass with a death grip.

Lots of husk and cereal grains. Smells like grandsma's house again...??

Very, very, very smooth and an awesome crisp to go with it. Medium body that is complemented with a thin maltiness. The husk comes into play with a small but present hops taste. The aftertaste is awful, a nasty grittiness like you just sucked on saw dust.

I enjoyed this one except for the absolutely horrible aftertaste.

2.05/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

In short, Miller Genuine Draft is just too soda-like for me. It's sweet and it's carbonated just like Coca-Cola. It seems that Miller created a crowd pleaser beer with nothing but widespread drinkability in mind. Of course, in that department it mostly excels.

The color is light straw and the smell is standard duff beer. The taste is sweet and non intrusive but hardly interesting. Almost insulting. It's inferior to the still-subpar but better Budweiser.

As always, I will leave the disclaimer that this beer serves a definite purpose as a mass market beer and it performs well within its intended territory. It's inexpensive and non offensive and someone could definitely slurp down many of these beers without trouble. It's not really comparable to the premium craft beers featured here on BA.

3.08/5  rDev +37.5%

I've heard this is the same beer as high life, except that it is cold filtered not heat pasteurized. I have also heard that kegs of high life and MGD are the exact same. Well they sure taste similar, but I still give the edge over taste to mgd, but for the price might as well go with high life.

2.53/5  rDev +12.9%

From a clear 12oz bottle. There is a date on the neck, but it is coded.

Appearance: Pale yellow and crystal clear. Not as light as some American macro-lagers. The occasional bubble.

Smell: Very little smell, some sweetness and a little bit of that woodsy/skunky smell.

Taste: Pretty smooth, aka bland. Sweet at first, followed by the skunky/earthy flavor you find in many macro lagers. Just the barest hint of hops.

Mouthfeel: Average to high level of carbonation.

Drinkability: If your not looking for anything to interupt your evening, this may be the beer for you. It is completely drinakble, just doesn't have the level of flavor that I am looking for.

3.25/5  rDev +45.1%

MGD is one of the few mass produced beers I can enjoy on a regular basis.

MGD pours light gold (darker than anyything Anheuser-Busch produces) fizzy head, as usual, little lacing , but the mouthfeel is nice on the MGD. it's slippery and crisp with just enough Hops and malt to remind you that beer should be "crafted" not just "produced"

As far as commercial brews go, my favorite mass produced lager.

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

I spied the 24oz tall boy of MGD as I was passing by the beer selection at the supermarket and thought for .99 I could try it again after many years away.
I brought it home and popped the top to find it poured okay into a fresh foamy head, but it didn't really stand out.

My first smell and taste brought back many memories of college parties, mornings after, and old flames: not all of them glorious, but never the less, distinct stories of days past. I remembered why I was drinking MGD 20 years ago, which was it was cheaper than Bud and a guy next door worked for the distributor (another plus, then).

While the beer lacked many of the synergistic qualities that have worked for me in the recent tastings of Dubbels and Tripels, it stil was okay with a slight taste of malt and corn followed by a bite. I could hang out and drink this in good company while watching a football game or a baseball playoff and not worry about it spilling...

1.6/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Container Volume: 355ml

Container type: bottle

Fresh: y

Purchased @: anywhere

Cost: cheap

Head: none

Lace: none

Color: pale yellow

Aroma: tinny

Mouthfeel: light

Palate: curls the tongue

Taste: Used to drink this with my UPS coworkers

Conditions:
Mowing/Working on car- n
With Friends- n
Sipping- n
Get my buzz on- n

2.6/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours with a thin, bright white head that dissipates quickly but leaves a surprising amount of lacing.

S: Barely there, mostly smells of grain with a chemical note that's none too pleasant.

T: Not bad as far as macros go, but still watery and uncomplicated. There's some astringency in the back of the throat that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste and makes me wonder if there's some sort of chemical substitute for hops involved.

M: Overly carbonated as far as my tastes go. There's a little bit of a bite that's probably mostly carbonation. Maybe even a little contribution from the alcohol?

D: Definitely able to be (and, realistically, intended to be) consumed in quantity. Overall very pleasant, especially compared to most other macros.

MGD is probably my favorite readily-available macro. Unlike the rest, I can actually drink it at a reasonable temperature without having too much unpleasantness jump out in the taste. This is what I keep on hand for my light beer-drinking friends.

1.68/5  rDev -25%

Pours light pale straw yellow with a bubbly white head that soon nearly vanishes, and after half the drink is just about gone.

The smell is of adjuncts. Little if any malt or hop aromas come through.

Tastes almost like watered down corn oil. This is clearly nearly all corn adjuncts. It's so watered down, it's not easy to pick up on any taste, in fact.

The flavor is soon washed away by a substantial amount of water (which is not so bad in this case).

There is more than enough water and since it lacks any substantial flavors, I was able to finish it. But, the bottom line is that there really is no point to bother with this one...

1.3/5  rDev -42%

An insipid pale yellow beer that with plentiful carbonation.
Smeels of stale beer , similar to a football club room on a Sundat morning after a big Saturday night.
This is hard to recognise as beer on tasting alone.There is a conglomeration of sweetness that is sugary ,carefully avoiding any hint of malt , , there isa cornish taste that comes with the bitterness.
None of the individual characters are very nice in isolation and thee is certainly no synergism when combined.
It is well carbonated and watery in the mouth , so perhaps could be refreshing , but is damnably basic .
The most pleasing aspect of reviewing this beer is the knowledge that one of the mass drunk beers in the USA is certainly no better and I would suggest worse than its Australian counterpart.
This is poor quality swill.
On present reckonings of the BMC I am a Bud man

1.75/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Macro Smackdown XI will be a slightly different animal. This plastic bottle (what! another serving type?) of Miller Genuine Draft is a macro lager brewed by a macrobrewery. Its competitor today is a can of Brew City Ice, a macro lager brewed by a microbrewery. Who's to say if it's a fair or an unfair fight? The Queensbury rules will be jettisoned in favor of gouging, biting, sucker punching and low blows. Have at it boys!

Lucent yellow-gold with a fairly large amount of fine carbonation leading up to a bright white head of semi-stiff foam. Surprisingly, there's a good bit of lace, at least at this early stage. I never expected this much cap persistence or this much glass coverage.

The nose on this beer is more powerful, which initially lead me to think that it was superior. After a few more sniffs I've determined that though they're vastly different--more different than in any previous MacSmack--they're equal in terms of likeability, or lack thereof. The more I smell, the more I've decided that isn't the case. Round two goes to Brew City Ice.

No surprise that the flavor follows the nose (with both beers). Even though it's been a long, long time since I've had a Miller product, I'm pretty sure I could identity the brewer blindfolded. Corny sweet vies with what tastes like hop extract to produce nothing much of value. This is not good beer. That fact that it has more flavor than the standard macro lager is not a good thing at all.

As always, it's hard to divorce mouthfeel from flavor. Try as I might, I can't filter out what the beer is doing to my taste buds in order to appreciate what it's doing tactilely. Several more sips tell me that there's very little difference between these two. Round four ends in a draw.

As is my custom, I'm wrapping up the reviews before actually assigning the scores, but it's pretty obvious that Miller Genuine Draft is the clear loser of Macro Smackdown XI. In comparison to the winner, it's a crude effort that is becoming much more nasty as it warms. As far as I'm concerned, Miller High Life is still the only drinkable beer from this brewery.

2.95/5  rDev +31.7%

MGD is a decent tasting macro brew with the aroma that is sweet and grainy. Its flavor profile is also sweet, with tastes that remind me of a mixture of corn and barley. There are some hops present, but they are few and the beer finishes with almost no bitterness at all.

With the word “draft” in the title, one would expect this beer to have a strong appearance with a solid head of foam. In reality, it doesn’t and the thin layer of foam falls apart in a very short time. But it does offer one quality that some beer drinkers like: Little aftertaste. It finishes clean and what little grainy taste it leaves behind is washed away quickly.

MGD is nothing special, but it does offer a smooth taste without any bite. I would never consciously buy this beer for my own enjoyment but I would consider it if I was entertaining and needed a product that most would find acceptable. It’s an ok beer that has no qualities good enough to brag about but that also offers an easy- drinking style.

2.13/5  rDev -4.9%

Glistening golden appearance. Head is alright, and falls quick. Smell is of hops and grain. Taste is adjuncty sweet, but mid-light bodied. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability is alright. MGD, is overall a decent macro.
Easy to drink on a hot day, and if your low on cash.

2.85/5  rDev +27.2%

In Podunk PA for the wife’s class reunion this evening I had the option of cheap coffee or cheap macro beer. The coffee really was bad so I decided to revisit MGD, expecting the worst. The last time I had this beer I was probably under 21 drinking in a friends basement. To my pleasant surprise it was not as bad as I expected. It was served literally *ice* cold and straight from the bottle. I ask the bartender for a glass and he said “we only have it in bottles.” Assuming the guy was a moron and meant it is not on tap I ignored the issue and ad the privilege of drinking this fine bevy from the bottle. Something I haven’t done in the last year. This brilliant bottle design put a light beer in a clear bottle. I am told the hops are specially formulated not to skunk. Do you believe that? [eye rolling]

Appearance: So this beer is yellow. Just like every other typical macro lager.

Smell: Crisp clean and empty. Truly it was to cold to get much out of it but it was clearly adjuncts, grain and a hint of bitter.

Taste: Crisp feel and taste this beer was not bad for what it is. Mostly water; there is nothing very tasty but it is beer and it is not appalling, simply boring corn water with a dry finish and bitter aftertaste. There are subtle suggestions of sweetness malts that can be spotted her and there so … overall: ehh.

Mouthfeel: It is to thin but aren’t they all in this league.

Drinkability: Personally, I don’t go for the boring macro but this one is just like the next. If you like the beer water it is sessionable enough but … to each their own.

Hope thins is helpful.
Cheers!

2.7/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a clear light yellow. There is a lot of foam. The smell is corny and the taste is about the same. This beer has a mouthfeel that is a lot smoother the colder the beer. I can drink mass produced beer on occasion, but not every day. Reveiwed straight from the clear bottle. No need washing a pint glass after this.

2.78/5  rDev +24.1%

This beer pours a very light straw tellow color with a thin white head. Surprisingly, the head fades slowly, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a corn like aroma, mixed in with just a touch of spice. No hops. No other aroma at all. Just corn and an ever so slight hint of spices.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. Corn and spice. Nothing else.

This beer is crisp. It goes down smooth, leaving a corny aftertaste. It is carbonated well for the style.

I think this beer would make a good session beer, if you liked how it tastes. It is low alcohol, so that would not be a problem. I just like a little more taste in my beer. Like any taste.

Overall: I only drank this beer because my brother left some in my refrigerator, and I needed to make room for the good stuff. It is, however, my favorite American Macro Lager.

4.03/5  rDev +79.9%

Pours very clear, head lingers on edges of glass only. Aroma disappoints, spicy with a cooked corn smell that borders on rotten. Malt low to none, no hop aroma. Improves on flavour, nice corny flavour overrides the unappealing aroma. A smooth and creamy mouthfeel is balanced by a nice carbonic bite.

2.25/5  rDev +0.4%

After a nice surprise of finding that I liked High Life after avoiding it for years, I thought MGD would be an improvement. Not So IMO.

It poured a clear pale straw color. The head carries a slight fizz. Lace is not that good if it spots at all.
The aroma has a corn malty base.
The taste has a slight bitter corn taste. Not so much a hop bitter but more stainless tank taste. That inturn leaves the mouth a metalic dry aftertaste. For me, that kills whatever smoothness this beer had to offer.

My choice; I'll take the High Life if given a choice.

3.2/5  rDev +42.9%

As an average lager, I think MGD is a decent beer, I dont´ know why but I really like this one.

Pours a clear light golden color with a decent head and a decent lace; Smell is grainy; Taste is sweet and grainy too; Thin mouthfeel, Good carbonation; Easy to drink, Very, very drinkable.

¡Salud!

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.