Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
1.4/5  rDev -37.5%

First of all I don’t like the transparent bottle. Second: this is not my type of beer, but anyway here I go…

Appearance: clear with a medium gold color. The head is white, low and fades quickly without a trace of lacing.
Aroma: very light aroma (kind of malty if I try really hard).
Taste: adjuncty. No hops.
Mouthfeel: dry, gassy, low alcoholic strength.
Finish: kind of a metallic aftertaste. Very short (fortunately!).

Overall: Nothing there. I certainly will not have another one.

2.49/5  rDev +11.2%

Tried a can of this for free recently on my recent Florida vacation. I certainly would never pay for this beer. Poured into a pint glass. This beer is a clear, light gold color. The head is a good 1/2 inch when poured before settling to 1/4 inch. Surprisingly good head retention after it settles. Never would have though MGD would have this good head retention. Very little lacing though. The smell is tinny, or aluminum like with a trace of grain, malt, hops and maybe some corn or other vegetable abstract. Has an uninteresting, slightly sweet malty taste with maybe just the slightest hint of hops. Fairly bland taste overall. Has a crisp mouthfeel with a light body and fairly heavy carbonation. Easy to drink, but not in the way a good beer should be. Nothing special here.

Eric

1.88/5  rDev -16.1%

OK so this is not my type of drink at all, but I was given a bottle whilst visiting somebody's house and I had to be polite.

The lager poured a light yellow colour with a light frothy head that materialised into nothing after a few seconds. The fragrences were non existant, just a smell of weak hops and nothing else.

This theme then continued through to the taste, bland with a very wattery mouthfeel. This was an advantage as it could be finished quite quickly. So that made it slightly drinkable, but why would I want to put myself through that again.

2.35/5  rDev +4.9%

So I usually have craft beers, but I was at a party and had to choose between Dos XX and MGD. I went with the American, er, S.African, brew.
Bottle, clear glass doesn't hide the pale yellow/gold beer. Head wasn't much, a bit frothy but did not last long. Smell of grains, malt and something off-sweet. Not sure.
Tastes the same as any other macro, but just a bit richer in...rice, grain? Something. A bit thicker than Bud or PBR.
Drank quite well after convincing myself this was the better option. Goes down fast and was good for the party, I didn't have to think about it.

1.2/5  rDev -46.4%

This beer is curtousy of another BA who will remain nameless.
Sampled straight from the clear glass bottle.
I simply can't give anything that looks like piss a higher rating than 1 for appearance. The head, lace, ect... is irrelavant. This beer looks like urine!
This beer smells like the corn I use to catch trout on a hot summer day.
Taste is malty and sweet. More flavor than your typical macro lager, but that's not a good thing here. Very harsh sour apple aftertaste that lingers. I wish it would go away.
I must admit that Miller hit the carbonation head on with this beer. Nicely carbonated which gives it a crisp mouthfeel.
I strongly feel that if you want something this light in body and flavor...something refreshing...on a hot summer day...do the Christian thing, drink water.
Oh well, it's off to the drain with this one.
As a side note. This beer does pair well with microwavable Ore Ida Bagel Bites.

3.75/5  rDev +67.4%

My first introduction to something beyond the standard American pilsners, MGD offers a liitle more in flavor. Pours standard pale pilsner yellow with a light head that lingers for a short while. Smells of hops with a bit of something more complex. Tastes well-blanced with an even tug-of-war between the malt and hops. The finish wins the match with a sweet, malty overtone that makes this an above average macro-lager. Light-to-medium mouthfeel that is highly drinkable. A perfect light summer beer. Goes good with almost any food.

2.03/5  rDev -9.4%

Light yellow in color. Head is a brief memory after the pour.

Smell is light, but unappetizing. Yeasty/malty.

Taste is very slightly malty. That's about it.

Mouthfeel is very thin in viscosity and very aggressive carbonation. Soda pop.

Drinkability? I can't lie, I must say this is drinkable.

2.73/5  rDev +21.9%

I’ve had more MGD than any other beer. Pale color with plenty of carbonation, thin white head, clean smell and taste no real after taste. Nothing stands out as good or bad. The price is right and I’m sure it will me in my fridge most days. It’s most welcome on a hot day.

2.38/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Into a pint glass a pale golden clear color with few bubbles. One-finger white foam head fades quickly to a bit of scattered cap and a thin ring, with trace lacing. Nose of faint malt and not much else. Taste of very light malt flavor with a touch of sweetness. Mouth is middle-thin, moderately carbonated, and rather plain. Drinkability is OK, nothing particularly interesting. Certainly non-offensive.

Overall: What’s the point? Avoid.

3.23/5  rDev +44.2%

Tasted along with Miller High Life for comparison (from forum post earlier about similarities between the two). The beer was poured from a 24oz big can into an Okocim glass (0.5L, very nice glass). Head started out strong, then fizzled out leaving some chunky lace on the glass and a wannabe ring after a few sips. Beer is pale gold similar to High Life, but none of the bubbles are there. I would choose High Life over this just for the amazing bubbles. Smell is almost the same as the High Life, but taste is fuller and carries on with the smell, not so great. This is less sweet, with a little more of a grainy aftertaste that the High Life did not have. Although these beers are practically the same (minus the pasteurization difference), I think High Life takes the cake on appearance and drinkability. Plus it was $0.20 cheaper!

2.38/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

ah, my favorite beer in the teen years. fizzy, rapidly dimishing large bubbles pass for a head. for some reason i used to enjoy the sweet corn adjunct flavor in this beer. at least it was something a little better than bud. no discernable hop aroma, light bodied, decent balance to this beer for what it is. blond and overly carbonated as you all know. i don't think i'll ever have one again unless i have a midlife crisis or something.

2.25/5  rDev +0.4%

This does have a malted taste to it. Maybe with some nutty overtones. Unfortunately its light body and heavy carbonation makes it hard to really taste what it may have to offer. Near average drinkability because you can have another and its not something that I will never drink again.

2.07/5  rDev -7.6%

Someone bought it for me at a bar, what am I gonna do...say no to a free beer?

Pours like water with a flimsy imitation of a head. Color of straw and dead grass. gets an extra .5 because the bubbles look cool. I'm being nice, here.

Smells like a pilsner, which is perhaps the high point of this beer. A very light pilsner, but better than the rest. I can actually tell by smell that it is a beer so a +1 for you MGD.

Tastes like a crappy pilsner, but at least it tastes like some kind of beer. Beats the crap out of "Beechwood aged" beer (WTF?).

Sprite has a thicker texture than this offering.

I'm proving that I am above beer slander and I'll give this beer a 3 for drinkability since I do believe it tastes better than the rest (Buds, Coors, malted liquors, etc.) It does resemble a pilsner and I've had supposedly "good" pilsners that reminded me of this beer, so come game day, you know what I'm buying for my friends.

1.91/5  rDev -14.7%

I not a big fan of Macro lagers and not a big fan of MGD i just buy one so i can review ...it does'nt smell good at all...not a good taste...and not even a good appearence .... for me this is a bad beer not good at all if you want to buy a Macro lager this one is not the one

3.03/5  rDev +35.3%

poured from a plastic bottle into a plastic cup at a Minnesota Wild game

a: golden color inch of white head that remains longer than most macro, little lacing
s: typical macro adjunct
t: well the adjuncts in the malt are evident but it is hard to taste any significant hop presence i will say for a macro this is pretty good
m: fuller bodied than i expected but not a full bodied beer by any stretch

overall, for a macro this is pretty good, far better than bud, however i think i'll pass next time, and besides $6.50 for 16 oz of this...

2.71/5  rDev +21%

I am a firm believer that MGD is the best of it's kind (i.e. massed produced)
In all not a very good beer, but the taste is much better than that of Budweiser, in my opinion.
A - Strong head, golden color.
S - Not much smell. Your average mass beer.
T - Better than some, worse than most. Fuller taste than Bud, watery compaired to Newcastle.
M - Thick mouthfeel. Better than Bud.
D - Very drinkable on a cold day, bot so much during the hot summer days.

2.16/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pale yellow fizz with an inch head that went away after a little while. Smell was slightly skunk and corn like. Flavor was of corn and slightly sweet. There was a horrid skunk aftertaste that lingered longer than I care to remember. i did detect a slight amount of bitterness, from hops? I couldnt tell if it was skunk or hops.

1.45/5  rDev -35.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle.
Pale golden, soapy white head. No retention, and very little lace.

Corn and skunk aroma.

Bitter metallic flavor, I had to look again to make sure it was from a bottle.

Finish is a little graininess and a little sweet corn, but mostly metal.

Not very good.

3.03/5  rDev +35.3%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear, light golden color with a thin, soapy white head with lots of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. Smell is mostly of grainy malt and possibly a miniscule amount of hops. Taste has a slight grainy taste as well, followed by a decent bitterness that finishes very neutral and clean. Not bad for a macro-lager. The mouthfeel is light and has a foamy consistency. This is a pretty drinkable beer and I think I would prefer this to most macro lagers. The taste is not impressive at all, but it isn't offensive either.

1.36/5  rDev -39.3%

I had a bottle at Bubbles Mansion in Halifax. I saw all the generic college guys swigging this shit from clear bottles and figured, hell... I like to try EVERYTHING at least once.

Appearance: Poured a golden straw colour with a medium bone white cap, quickly down to a lacey ring. Didn't look too bad at all.

Aroma: Good lord. Skunked to the max. Aroma of rancid corn, alcohol and vommit. This was horrid.

Taste: Only gets worse. Astringent alcohol, awful sour finish. Rotten vegetables, no hops.

Mouthfeel: Typical of the style.

Final Statement: I'm glad I tried it because I can now say with confidence, this is the worst beer I have ever had.

3.31/5  rDev +47.8%

APPEARANCE

It looks like an average American lager. Gold in color and translucent. It also is quite carbonated and had high head retention.

SMELL

It did not smell impressive, but I wouldn't say bad either.

TASTE

Taste better than most Lagers ie.. Bud.

MOUTHFEEL

Carbonated and watery. Both were expected.

DRINKABILITY

Taste good enough for me.

2.43/5  rDev +8.5%

Before I begin, how come no one complains of MGD using clear bottles for their beer, as folks complain of Corona bottles or green Euro bottles? Anyway, let's get on to the beer:

Poured into a glass, an average head forms over the body, leaving a bit of lacing onto the glass. It's a crisp adjuncty smelling beer, when touching the tongue, bring out a trace of hops with a dominating cereal aroma. Gets annoying after awhile, and that brings down the taste score and drinkability in my book.

In the past, my mom would cook bratwursts in this beer, and they would turn out to be some tasty sausages. I think if I ever purchase this again, I'll use this to cook with before I use it as a refreshment.

3.38/5  rDev +50.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I just popped open a cold bottle of mgd and must say it is the average american beer for the average american Joe. No special characteristics or no really negative thoughts about this brew. It seems just like the perfect beer when the average american just wants to sit back and kick up their heels.

2.19/5  rDev -2.2%

Stuck at the wife's grandmothers house so this is all I got.

A: Dull light corn color, very clean. Surprisingly large sudsy stark white head remains for quite a while.

S: Aluminum, copper, drawing paper, light fruitiness

T: Begins astringent. Flavors of iceburg lettuce, cardboard and corn. Gentle rice sweetness brush the tip of the tongue offering the first interesting aspect of this beer. Minor floral hops move next while a grainy flavor fizzles out.

M: Light body with a light mouthfeel.

D: This is the first macro I've taken the time to stop and review. It was really painfull and I'm not that much of a beer snob. Then again I've never really liked MGD. This is a bad beer through and through.

4.21/5  rDev +87.9%

This is a crysteal clear, radiently golden beer. It has no head to speak of, but does manage to leave quite a bit of lacing after the pour. Aromas are very light, and of cracked grain. No sickly sweetness to the aroma at all.

For the style, this beer tastes pretty badass. It is refreshingly dry, balanced, and delivers just a splash of fruity hop flavor in the finish. A light but very creamy mouthfeel accentuates these qualities to make this by far my favorite offering from the big 3. It is a very fresh tasting beer with minor, if any, perceptable flaws.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.