2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,677 | Reviews: 574 | Show All Ratings:
Olek4374

Alberta (Canada)

2.13/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

MGD is generally percieved as one of the more luxurious adjunct lagers up here in Canada, as people buy it by the case like crazy. I will say it's better than some of the local swill, but at the end of the day it tastes very plain and uninspiring. I'd hate to sample the light version, which thankfully is very hard to come by here.

The taste is very clean and not terribly corny, and surprisingly is not skunky despite being served in a clear bottle.

I can't see myself buying this again since it is more expensive than the usual Kokanee or Canadian, but it's fine for the style.

06-01-2013 02:26:40 | More by Olek4374
Mervin

2.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Served in a 12 oz bottle.
Appearance is a light golden color. No cloudiness or murkiness to it. Barely has any aroma to it, what is there seems to be a slightly sour, maybe some sort of grain smell?
Taste is actually rather decent. Not anything I would drink over and over, but it is crisp and light, and doesn't leave a lingering flavor on the tongue.
Overall a refreshing cheap light beer, drank this while watching a hockey game, and it was really the perfect thing to sip on during the game.

05-05-2013 21:07:49 | More by Mervin
Scrylol

Alberta (Canada)

2.78/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a golden color body with a two finger fluffy, bubbly white head.

Some sort of adjunct like smell to it, no hop presence, and pretty grainy. No skunk fortunately.

Metallic-like rice flavor, some grain, and typical adjunct flavor. No hop bitterness. Rather crystal clear taste.

Pretty watery, and a decent amount of carbonation.

A typical adjunct, but I think I prefer this one over other similar offerings such as Molson. Well, it's probably decent to drink a few of these on a hot summer night, but otherwise I'd spend my money on something else.

04-11-2013 03:33:07 | More by Scrylol
bbluemzbeer

3.16/5  rDev +40.4%

I have been drank this beer since 1986. I tried all types of beer. It taste very good in bottle and in can it has a metallic taste. It is in can pour it in a glass. I always go back to this beer,,

Appearance : Looks like a lager beer in a glass.

Smells : It smells like corn grain

Taste: The smoothness of this beer is so great! I would not tried this beer for anything in wolrd. It's my most drinkable beer for me . It is smooth aand crisp. This is my beer taste!

Overall: There is nothing be learned about this beer. but hey, isn't that kind of the point of dranking some beer.

04-01-2013 15:41:50 | More by bbluemzbeer
StonedTrippin

Colorado

2.31/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

was this beer always this bad? I feel like when I was a kid and I went fishing with my dad and he would give me a can of this stuff, it had some appeal. some sort of honest outdoorsy quality. well, its completely gone. maybe I grew up, maybe they changed the recipe, who knows, but this stuff isn't even fit to batter the fish we used to catch with. the color is closer to mountain dew than a lager, is there honestly yellow 5 in this?! it smells like a corny adjunct, but it tastes more chemical than that. almost with an antifreeze sort of potency to it, its daunting. at least coors light and its peers still taste like beer to some degree, this taste like preservatives and artificial sweeteners. I can imagine how bad the 64 is, because its parent beer is a shocker. feel isn't that bad, a little thicker than it should be, but the carbonation is fine. overall this is something to avoid. it would chose it over some of the basement dwellers and budlight on principle, but this is really disgusting. the clear bottles do it no favors either.

03-23-2013 16:13:49 | More by StonedTrippin
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer one time during the summer of 2012 and thought it was an ok to slightly decent beer. It is not a beer that i would have all of the time, but I would probably recommend it to another to try it. The taste was distinct and was very smooth and different from Miller High Life. The process of making a draft beer gives this beer a different characteristic.

02-22-2013 01:35:27 | More by RyanLaCount03
CharlyNovember

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +84.4%

Whenever I feel like writing a review, I usually find myself reviewing a big name macro. I think this is because many of them get a really bum rap, and usually, in my opinion at least, solely in the name of beer snobbery. Don't get me wrong, I love craft brews and it's a large percentage of what I drink, but there are many a-time when I just feel like sluggin' a beer. So, sorry, there are really good macros, and macro lagers most definitely have a time and a place.

There really is nothing remarkable about Miller's smell, appearance, and feel. Looks like a pale lager, smells like a macro lager (you know, that real beery smell), and has less-than-over-the-top fizzy carbonation.

Anyhow, Miller has become a primary go-to brew for me and it's the taste that sets it apart from it's rival macros. It's like bread and butter. And my god, is it smooth (and please excuse my use of that word). It's my most drinkable beer, and mighty fine if you're having more than a few too. There's absolutely nothing off-putting about this beer, in fact it is delicious.

I'm real hard pressed to find a reason why this beer is so hated... other than beer snobbery. Maybe this beer is different in the States, but I doubt it since it is imported, not out-sourced brewed, up to Canada. Take it from me, this beer is good. There may not be anything to be learned about beer when drinking this, but hey, isn't that kind of the point sometimes?

01-16-2013 03:40:05 | More by CharlyNovember
thegodfather2701

A-Pours a very pale straw yellow with nearly no head. One ring of lacing is left however, which is a surprise.

S-Honestly I'm not really picking up anything; a very slight generic beer smell is present but virtually no nose on this one.

T-My first thought was "Where is the beer?" Carbonated water, a splash of generic beer flavor and thats about it. This is as about as close to carbonated water as it gets in a non-light beer.

M-Thin and watery

D-Its easy drinking but frustrating since it does not really taste like beer.

I bought this because it was one of the first beers I liked when I first started drinking when I turned 21 and my birthday is approaching so I thought it would be good to retry it. Bad decision. This is one of the worst beers I have ever had. It has less taste than Miller Lite. Avoid this if all possible.

01-05-2013 22:56:44 | More by thegodfather2701
kylehay2004

2.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Single finger white frothy head with nice lacing on a state to bright golden clear body. Aroma is pretty bad with mostly pale malts/barley and musty wet sock hops. A lot of malt in the flavor with mild bitterness from the hops and little in the way of sweetness. Light to medium body but still fairly oily coating the palate and moderate carbonation. I think miller is the worst of the big three for flavors and drinkability. This one reinforces that belief.

12-17-2012 01:32:34 | More by kylehay2004
danreitz

2.98/5  rDev +32.4%

24 oz. can into a mason jar. Pours clear, muted urine-sample yellow with the metallic, slightly malty fragrance common to American macro lagers. Watery and bubbly in the mouth. Little taste to speak of, but lightly sweet, lightly bitter and very easy to drink. An inoffensive, crisp, cheap beer that is better than other beers at its price point.

12-16-2012 05:54:59 | More by danreitz
EagleTalon

Arkansas

2.6/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours out to a sudsy white head that falls to a permanent 3mm head, significant lacing and pale yellow-gold color. Aroma is sweet, grainy, grassy and slightly skunky. Flavor is a weak mixture of sweet, grainy, corny, and slight tinge of over processed hops. Mouthfeel is light, carbonation generous and rather watery. On the balance, this is a marginally decent adjunct lager and reminds me a bit of Corona.

12-15-2012 05:22:56 | More by EagleTalon
buschbeer

2.85/5  rDev +26.7%

12oz can
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It is yellow. It almost passes for golden, but I won't go that far. I got an inch of white head that settled to a thin film on top.

S - I smell sweet malt, grain, and a little grass.

T - I get some light grain and some sour grass.

M - Thin with lots of carbonation.

O - It has a little more flavor than other BMC. Mediocre.

10-14-2012 19:32:05 | More by buschbeer
scherzox

3.2/5  rDev +42.2%

I read somewhere once that MGD is made from the same recipe as High Life except that it's cold filtered. I begin to notice the resemblance when I keep that in mind while drinking MGD. It's pretty fizzy, much like High Life but not to the "champagne" level. The flavor is very close too, except something is a little off because of the different brewing method.

When I was a wee lad, MGD was my go to beer simply because it was easy to order in bars/clubs and was decently strong. I've moved on (in my own way), but occasionally I get a taste for this. I also made many micheladas with this back in the day too. It's really good for that.

This wasn't meant to be a review from a beer aficionado. Just a guy who likes to get tipsy.

09-15-2012 23:37:20 | More by scherzox
Douberd

Netherlands

3.35/5  rDev +48.9%

One of the new beers in my local Albert Heijn supermarket. Clear glass bottle, with a twist-to-open crown cap. 330 ml of golden yellow beer, alcohol by volume stands at 4,7%. Produced and bottled in Europe, God knows where, under licence from MillerBrewing Company. I like the label, with the eagle flying holding some barleys with its claws. Ingredients include "selected cereal grains" and "hop products".
As I said, golden yellow colour, with one finger of head, kind of soapy in texture, quickly losing half of its height but keeping the remaining half finger for quite long. Lots of bubbles finding their way to the top.
Smell is very faint, some malts mostly and I think I smell rice. Does it contain rice? I don't know, maybe rice is one of the selected cereal grains the label mentioned. Well, at least it doesn't have the annoying corn smell.
Wow, fantastic taste! At the supermarket stands a label next to the bottle, recommending drinking it straight from the bottle. Allow me to disagree with that, I had a couple of sips and although the great taste is still there, is not so strong as when drinking it from a glass. Hmm, the more I drink it, the more conviced I am it contains some rice. So be it, they managed to give this beer a great taste.
On the body is as thin as someone would expect from a beer coming into a clear glass bottle. Very light carbonation, but it's so drinkable.
Overall, I found this one to be a great beer. Too bad it costs 1,50 a bottle here. When I can afford this price for a bottle of lager at home, this would be among my preferences.

09-10-2012 16:00:10 | More by Douberd
cyclonece09

Maryland

2.55/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz can into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a transparent straw color with a large white head that dissipates quickly and disappears. Smells of cereal grain and corn, no hops at all. Tastes of corn and grain, not much in the ways of hops, and very bland but not watered down. Carbonation is heavy like most macros but it is very smooth for its light body. Overall, slightly below average beer.

09-07-2012 03:53:11 | More by cyclonece09
Uhtred

2.8/5  rDev +24.4%

It has been a while since I had a MGD but my wife bought some so... I really enjoy this beer. In the Budmillercoors style this is my current favorite. It struck me as maltier than I remembered and reminded me of the all-malt Miller Reserve they made back in the 80's.

It is true to the style, light bodied, balanced, nothing really standing out except for the malt taking a half-step foreward.The appearance is expected, light golden showcased in the clear bottle.

08-31-2012 23:09:57 | More by Uhtred
NV9

Ontario (Canada)

2.33/5  rDev +3.6%

I used to drink these fairly regularly, they were a "cool" beer when I was younger, likely solely because they came in a clear bottle.

Very pale, clear yellow with soft white head that is gone quickly.

smell is sweet cereal with a lot of corn and some skunk.

taste is very grainy with some hops on the finish

light body, medium carbonation, bitter finish.

It's not bad, but not something I go for often these days.

08-23-2012 21:45:29 | More by NV9
Beejay

2.63/5  rDev +16.9%

A: A gentle "pssst" as the cap twists off. A light pale straw color, with brilliant clarity. White head on top, but it fades into the body of the beer fairly quickly.

S: Sweet at first, then a little vegetable or possibly corn. A touch of bread and a bit of flour.

T: Fairly light, with some biscuit flavors. Light, with a little vegetable flavor, the aftertaste has perhaps a touch of tin to it.

M: Light, and bubbly.There is a bit of a carbonic bite to it, but other than that it is fairly thin. There is something weird about the mouthfeel. It almost feels like it is dissolving the enamel.

O: Overall fairly middle of the road. No major attractors or detractors. Fairly bland, but isn't that in the style description?

08-23-2012 00:45:02 | More by Beejay
Thepumpkinpiper

1.63/5  rDev -27.6%

Back when I was young, I enjoyed this beer. But I had not developed any taste yet - now that I am 28, it tastes like crud.

A: Standard pale yellow lager.

S: Unattractive, malt and urine mix.

T: Quite malty for a lager, but unpleasantly bland with a sourish aftertaste.

M: Not as carbonated as other beers of its type, but pretty standard.

O: Really not a good beer - I would compare it with Corona in a sense - only good with a lime on a hot summer day at best.

08-16-2012 22:04:35 | More by Thepumpkinpiper
maclean25

British Columbia (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev -9.8%

I have had MDG occasionally over the years but never liked it. I remember buying it while at university, curious about what it was like because I saw it was popular – this is the only time I paid money for MGD. This one I'm reviewing is from my parent's fridge (a 6-pack of bottles which was given to them by their very elderly neighbour).

It pours with small head of soapy, white bubbles. The body is clear and straw yellow. It seems to have a constant presence of bubbles vigorously rising to the top. The aroma is strong with corn, as well as a urine and boozy wine quality. To me, this tastes like a cheap white wine. I sense an astringent cracker flavour. It has a medium body and the perfect amount of carbonation. Not as watery as Budweiser and MGD has a bigger taste (but it isn't a better taste).

Overall, it just isn't a good beer. The mouthfeel pretty good, but it tastes and smell bad. I'm constantly surprised to find people bringing it to parties or storing it in their fridge. I can see how some people may find it average (at best) but I don't. Also, it is utterly terrible if not served chilled.

08-15-2012 02:06:55 | More by maclean25
jimmah120

24oz can into pilsner glass.

look is a clear golden color. smell is sickly sweet cereal, malts, and a serious amount of corn. taste is crisp and clean cereal grain, corn, with a touch of barley and a hint of hops. feel is crisp and clean with a slight astringency.

Good for the style.

08-13-2012 08:56:01 | More by jimmah120
JamesHenjum

2.35/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Your typical Adjunct lager. Pale yellowish gold. Lots of bubbles with a surprisingly decent white head.

S: Weakest point of the beer. Nothing stands out but wet grass and grain. There is skunk from the clear bottle.

T: Very smooth and crisp. Maltier than I expected, but I wasnt expecting any malt.... Has a bit of the urine taste to it if not ice cold, but you can say that about all adjunct lagers. The taste is slightly better than Bud, but also much less offensive too. Slight skunk.

M: Not overly carbonated like I find Coors to be. Smoother and cleaner. No aftertaste if cold. Slight urine aftertaste if not cold.

O: This is a pretty good beer for what it is. Would take a Michelob or Yeungling over it though.

08-11-2012 02:15:15 | More by JamesHenjum
netrioter

3.13/5  rDev +39.1%

Loved this beer when i didnt know any better and i could get it on the local air force base back in 1992 for $4 dollars a case when it was 9 in town

MGD is great on tap and if youre outdoors doing whatever on a hot day....good with food as well.

smells a bit offensive but the taste is better...its not good enough to justify $3+ dollars for a 40oz however

typical american lager...tastes a bit better than some though

08-04-2012 21:42:12 | More by netrioter
soju6

Missouri

2.33/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Pours a pale straw color with a decent head that fades to no real lacing.

S: Aroma of grain and malt sweetness. Has a musty presence.

T: Taste of malt sweetness and grain. has a mild bitterness and a dry finish. pretty boring.

F: Light body, almost watery and has a bit of a rought edge.

O: Pretty bland beer. Could have been worse.

08-03-2012 10:08:20 | More by soju6
BakerMoore

3.35/5  rDev +48.9%

Upon pouring well, it pours a one finger white fluffy head. The body is a golden yellow color with bubbles in all areas rising to the top. The head disspiates relatively quickly but leaves a great amount of lacing leaving good signs. in the appearance.

The smell is not too strong but of barley, grain, and water. maybe hops. The smell is not strong but pleasing.

The taste is of barley, grain and hops. leaving a nice aftertaste and feeling. It is very refreshing, I can pound this beer any time.

The feel is smooth with a good amount of carbonation.

Relating this beer to other mass produced adjuncts, it is extremely flavorful and refreshing.

07-08-2012 05:53:28 | More by BakerMoore
Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.