Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 621 | Hads: 2,266
2.05/5  rDev -12.8%

Format: a 330mL clear bottle with an okay macro label. I had one of these a few years ago and thought it was pretty ordinary. I'm trying it again so I can do a proper review of it this time, and because I made a promise to myself that I would try and review every beer I can get my hands on - whether I am looking forward to it or not. And why do Americans spell draught as draft? Very strange.

Appearance: a very light yellow in colour with pretty weak-looking carbonation. An inch of tight white head pops up and slowly drops down to a thick cap with pretty good lacing. Looks better than I expected.

Aroma: ahh, that's more like the Millers I remember. Sweet grains with an unusual and sharp off wet carpet smell. Delicious.

Taste: dominated entirely by a strange, mouth-filling adjunct fug. Not entirely offensive, but not even so much as a touch of grain or hops. Pretty ordinary stuff.

Aftertaste: not really very much on the finish either, which isn't too terrible since it's a lager. It'd be nice to have some grain or hops at all though.

Mouth feel: I don't know how this beer manages to feel both medium in body and yet completely watery, but I assume they had to work at it for a while. Moderate carbonation that fortunately doesn't bring those flavours through properly.

Overall: thank you Millers for living up to my expectations. This is a pretty nasty and boring macro lager with awkward, pungent flavours and an unsatisfying and watery feel. Worth AU$44 a case? Not nearly.

1.75/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

It's not the worst American Adjunct Lager, but it's certainly not great either. You know what you're getting into if you are on this website and buy this beer.

MGD hits the spot. Good at parties. Miller is just good in general. Yeah they are big, but i enjoy miller quite a lot. Rating this against the style, this is good stuff.

Pours a soft, frothy head. Grainy aroma. Crystal, clear golden color. Starts with a very mild flavor. Builds into a nice biscuit flavor. Finish is more biscuit, and as it lingers, a touch of grassy hops comes in.

Not a lot going on here, but there's a lot of maltiness, and it's surprisingly not as bad as I was fearing. Tolerable. For the style, that's like a home run!

( should not that I don't think this one has skunked yet, as I did get it in Milwaukee...and that helps make it better than I remembered).

2.76/5  rDev +17.4%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a clear golden color with a one finger head of pure white foam. The head has a light level of retention, fading rather fast to leave a light level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is heaviest of a slight bready and corny smell as well as a little bit of a cardboard aroma. Along with these smells are some light aromas of a metallic nature.

Taste – The taste begins with a corn syrup and bready taste with the overall flavor being a little on the sweeter side. As the flavor advances the bready and corn fade a bit and a little bit of caramel takes it place. With this flavor transitions comes some light papery tastes as well, leaving one with a still somewhat sweet and papery like flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average side with a carbonation level that is on the slightly higher side. For the style the feel is quite appropriate and makes for an easy drinking brew.

Overall – Not the most offensive, but nothing too special. A good tailgating brew, but otherwise, not a go too.

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

Appearance – Light straw like colour and very clear. Raises decent head that has good retention, leaving white lace that sticks in clumps to the side of the glass.

Smell – Musty malt smells that are not very appealing.

Taste –The taste is dominated by the malt but it is neither sweet nor grainy just sort of musty like sucking on a bit of old sack from a grain store.

Mouthfeel – Very smooth and crisp. Moderate body and very dry back end that is almost like sucking on sloe berries.

Overall – Not good that is all I can say. The taste is bland and the finish is super dry.

3.21/5  rDev +36.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Out of 24 oz can. Smelled of adjuncts but was a good smell to it. Not too light. These beers such as PBR, rolling rock, colors, miller etc... Almost always seem to leave an odd dry film in mouth. But I did like this

3.96/5  rDev +68.5%

MGD will always be my highest rated big brewery beer. When I was young, Miller Lite was my go to beer. I eventually graduated to MGD due to the amount of taste and how smooth and drinkable it was. I do tend to not drink it anymore because if I’m out partying I tend to go to Miller Lite because it is easier for me to watch my alcohol intake.

O my Lord. How do you really rate the beer of yer indigent youth without bias.

This was my default, O my brothers. My go-to, my backup. Others have Pabst, others have Rolling Rock, others have Yuengling, but mine was MGD.

I have had too many good times on the back end of an MGD to rate it any lower than a 2, but too much presence of mind to rate it any higher.

This is swill. There's no two ways about it. But, O my brothers, in the early to mid 1990s, it had the moniker "genuine", which was enough to sell it to a dork like me.

One night, one glorious night in the relative innocence of the 1990s I got picked up in a bar in Wisconsin after having ten of these by a VERY pretty girl, despite being myself utterly average in every regard, with no effort whatsoever expended on my part, and for that reason, MGD always has a home in my home when push comes to shove.

But it's really awful beer, truth to be told. I wouldn't buy this on purpose in a scenario short of the zombie apocalypse.

1.25/5  rDev -46.8%

Imagine the average lager... now imagine if someone had ashed their cigarette into that lager. That's what you get with MGD. No visible head (unless you purposely shake the bottle), the colour of diseased urine, and the taste is of (and I can't stress it enough) cigarette ashes making Miller Genuine Draft one of the worst and most offensive tasting beers I've ever had.

Once in a while a friend of mine will offer me one. Only out of courtesy will I drink it, but usually give it away. Another beer whose fame came only by shoving propaganda down the throat of the blue-collared and telling them that this is what 'real men' drink. When my friends request that I pick this up from my local liquor store I flat refuse to buy this horrid mess of a beer.

2.34/5  rDev -0.4%

Had this for the first time in years at the local Labor Day picnic. For what it’s worth, it is a notch above Miller and Miller Lite. It's smoother and less corny for some reason. And, union made by my UAW brothers and sisters - so there’s that.

1.31/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Chilled horse piss in a bottle may be a better option. Not the worst I have ever had but very close. Everything one would expect from a cheap mass produced brew.

3.8/5  rDev +61.7%

I actually buy these and coors beers. I rather like this. Good flavor smooth and doesn't leave you disappointed. I drink these frequently. It tastes like beer smells like beer and is high quality for a macro. Good show miller, I rather like this beer

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co. Ya. That's right. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got a typically waning head, clear golden body, and no lacing. It could be worse. We all know this.

I smell corn. Period.

I taste corn and grains. Not terrible. I think this brew is pretty decent-tasting. Sue me.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp.

Overall a 3 is given to Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co. I am not biased to drink and review AAL's. I thank nicholas2121 for supplying this brew to me during a meeting concerning this website and its workings.

3.11/5  rDev +32.3%

Miller Genuine Draft brewed by Miller Brewing Co. with an an abv of of 4.7% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell you pick up on grains and corn. The look and smell is that of an American Adjunct Lager. There is nothing special about this brew so far. The taste is ok you pick up on the corn in this brew, but it is not bad. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is nothing bad about this brew.Miller Genuine Draft goes down smooth with a clean finish. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.25 out of 5. This is not the worst I've had but not the best. I would get this brew again.

2.18/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Perhaps a little darker than most adjunct lagers this poured with a fizzy weak head of thin fleeting bubbles.

The nose is bit off putting with a corn and stale malt.

The flavor is more corn adjuncts and less barley but I did not detect the strong metallic flavor that seems ubiquitous in adjuncts.

The feel is highly carbonated and a bit slick with a detracting thinness.

I didn't expect much and got what I expected, a macro brewed adjunct.

1.64/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured into a fluted pilsner glass.

Look: Crystal clear golden body. The white head is foamy and rocky, good retention. Light lacing.

Aroma: Lots of corn in the nose, slightly metallic, corn husk.

Taste: Like the aroma, a very corn-driven profile. Some cereal grains as well.

Mouthfeel: Oddly creamy.

Overall: The massive corn adjunct tastes disgusting. Never again.

this was the beer that got me to like beer. I didn't care for bud light, milwaukee's best, coors, pbr, or any of the other big-name generic beers out there. they tasted like water-down crap. I remember first tasting this beer and liking it for its crisp, citrus notes, and then seeking out beers with more intense flavors. while it pales in comparison to what I enjoy drinking now, that's okay. it's still very easy to drink, cheap, and tastes decent.

3.62/5  rDev +54%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Large fluffy head with good retention and good lacing. Clear golden body with strong carbonation. Looks refreshing. Quite appealing.

Clean. Neutral. Mild malts.

Tastes like a cleaner version of Miller High Life. The harshness of High Life has been cold filtered out. Very smooth. Hard to differentiate between corn and gentle malt. Hops are very mild, bitter, and clean. Very smooth and refreshing.

Light bodied. Clean. Refreshing.

Surprisingly good. Refreshing and clean, but with good flavor for a pale lager beer. This beer is way under-appreciated. Better than Budweiser or Coors Banquet. Clean, refreshing, and tasty. A very good macro lager.

1.98/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Serving: Can into cup
Served: 7 May 2014

Appearance: A pale yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Not as profound an assertion of sweet corniness as other beers in the AAL bracket, rather, this one was very earthy and had some awkward assertions of gym-locker sweat.

Taste: Harsh, astringent earthiness/sweatiness is a primary component of this beer. That said, since I was able to taste something (even if it tasted like sweaty ass), this beer gets higher marks from me in the taste department than others in the AAL bracket.

Mouthfeel: This one kept its carbonation longer than others, but quickly became a thin watery mess.

Overall: If you like drinking sweaty ass, drink MGD. This was the lowest rated beer in the AAL bracket, finishing just below Bud Light.

2.47/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pale golden colored with a trace of white head barely appearing. Light Brussel's lacing. Aroma of corn and faint bittering hops. The mouth is light and crisp. I get corn,light malt and a trace of bittering hops. This is for hot weather and is highly quaffable.

2.09/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: clear straw with plenty of carbonation. 1" white head, decent lacing.
Aroma: fairly mild, some corn husks, maybe a bit of hops.
Mouthfeel: light, crisp, refreshing, finishes quite dry.
Flavor: mild flavor of corn sweetness, some white bread, a hint of hops in the finish.

3.04/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not only my first live review, but my first review in the first place. Tackling a favorite at the liquor store I work at, but a beer that is steadily declining in sales, falling 56.4 percent from 2007 to 2012. Let's see if the taste has anything to do with it or if an overblown consumer market is to blame...

Poured into your average glass, the beer bears a thick, bone-white head about one finger thick (excuse me, maybe I don't know how to pour properly - just an amateur here). Color is pale yellow and unsurprising for an American lager. Clearly heavily carbonated and resembles pretty much every other domestic beer out there, that I've had of course (Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc). Nothing remarkable in the visual field.

Smell is of cheap adjuncts, such as corn and wheat (I think). Smells, again, like every mainstream beer I've ever had. Let's hope the taste provides something new (it should since it isn't heat-pasteurized to give the taste and feel of a draft beer).

Taste is surprisingly lighter than I expected, given this one isn't marketed as a lighter alternative (makes me assume Miller 64 is more watery than your average forty-ounce). One thing I like about the taste is it doesn't possess that sharp, bitterness Miller Lite and Coors Light often do. It's actually very drinkable and refreshing.

Mouthfeel boasts heavy carbonation, which isn't atypical but is a bit overpowering.

Honestly, this is one of the better mainstream beers I've had. The purists will hate, the craft fans won't blink at this, but it's moderately satisfying, goes down easy, and barely hinders at 4.7 percent ABV.

Served in 24 ounce can.

3.62/5  rDev +54%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Gold straw

S - Slight corn

T - Highly carbonized corn, malt and faint hops.

M - Medium and a bit creamy

O - I really like this- always have. Goes down smooth. Very refreshing! I know that my leg-crossing, pansy beer aficionado peers sneer at this brew. Don't listen to them! This is a good standard that stands tall among it's throng of AAL competitors.

1.96/5  rDev -16.6%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of April 14, 2014 printed on the bottleneck. A friend gifted this bottle to me yesterday at a cookout so that I could finally review it on here and lay this one to rest. Another one of Miller's classic line-up beers. It's been a while since I've had this, but I'm not expecting much.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a thin watery pale straw yellow. Looks exactly the same in the glass as it did in the bottle. Two fingers of fluffy foamy bone white head. Lots of bubbles. Standard appearance. Some halfway decent head retention for what it is, and some nice scattered strands of fluffy lace.

S - Musty yeast and grainy / husky pilsner malts. Some dusty and dirty coiny metallics. Not very pleasant smelling.

T - Taste follows the nose - harsh grainy husky malts, musty east, wet paperboard, and a sharp nail polish remover alcohol bite, despite the low abv. Tastes of cheap adjuncts and chemically treated swill. Grainy & nail polish remover are the best words I have to describe this one.

M - Feel has the trademark Miller crispness to it. Light-bodied with okay carbonation. Easy drinking.

Overall, not my favorite offering from the bottom of the barrel adjunct lagers, but that didn't come as any surprise to me. Cheap, mildly offensive, but it would go well with some BBQ on hot day.

Miller Genuine Draft ---2/5.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.