Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 616 | Hads: 2,230
2.76/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a clear golden color with a one finger head of pure white foam. The head has a light level of retention, fading rather fast to leave a light level of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is heaviest of a slight bready and corny smell as well as a little bit of a cardboard aroma. Along with these smells are some light aromas of a metallic nature.

Taste – The taste begins with a corn syrup and bready taste with the overall flavor being a little on the sweeter side. As the flavor advances the bready and corn fade a bit and a little bit of caramel takes it place. With this flavor transitions comes some light papery tastes as well, leaving one with a still somewhat sweet and papery like flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average side with a carbonation level that is on the slightly higher side. For the style the feel is quite appropriate and makes for an easy drinking brew.

Overall – Not the most offensive, but nothing too special. A good tailgating brew, but otherwise, not a go too. (1,150 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance – Light straw like colour and very clear. Raises decent head that has good retention, leaving white lace that sticks in clumps to the side of the glass.

Smell – Musty malt smells that are not very appealing.

Taste –The taste is dominated by the malt but it is neither sweet nor grainy just sort of musty like sucking on a bit of old sack from a grain store.

Mouthfeel – Very smooth and crisp. Moderate body and very dry back end that is almost like sucking on sloe berries.

Overall – Not good that is all I can say. The taste is bland and the finish is super dry. (589 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Out of 24 oz can. Smelled of adjuncts but was a good smell to it. Not too light. These beers such as PBR, rolling rock, colors, miller etc... Almost always seem to leave an odd dry film in mouth. But I did like this (215 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +64.3%

MGD will always be my highest rated big brewery beer. When I was young, Miller Lite was my go to beer. I eventually graduated to MGD due to the amount of taste and how smooth and drinkable it was. I do tend to not drink it anymore because if I’m out partying I tend to go to Miller Lite because it is easier for me to watch my alcohol intake. (344 characters)

O my Lord. How do you really rate the beer of yer indigent youth without bias.

This was my default, O my brothers. My go-to, my backup. Others have Pabst, others have Rolling Rock, others have Yuengling, but mine was MGD.

I have had too many good times on the back end of an MGD to rate it any lower than a 2, but too much presence of mind to rate it any higher.

This is swill. There's no two ways about it. But, O my brothers, in the early to mid 1990s, it had the moniker "genuine", which was enough to sell it to a dork like me.

One night, one glorious night in the relative innocence of the 1990s I got picked up in a bar in Wisconsin after having ten of these by a VERY pretty girl, despite being myself utterly average in every regard, with no effort whatsoever expended on my part, and for that reason, MGD always has a home in my home when push comes to shove.

But it's really awful beer, truth to be told. I wouldn't buy this on purpose in a scenario short of the zombie apocalypse. (1,016 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -48.1%

Imagine the average lager... now imagine if someone had ashed their cigarette into that lager. That's what you get with MGD. No visible head (unless you purposely shake the bottle), the colour of diseased urine, and the taste is of (and I can't stress it enough) cigarette ashes making Miller Genuine Draft one of the worst and most offensive tasting beers I've ever had.

Once in a while a friend of mine will offer me one. Only out of courtesy will I drink it, but usually give it away. Another beer whose fame came only by shoving propaganda down the throat of the blue-collared and telling them that this is what 'real men' drink. When my friends request that I pick this up from my local liquor store I flat refuse to buy this horrid mess of a beer. (760 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -2.9%

Had this for the first time in years at the local Labor Day picnic. For what it’s worth, it is a notch above Miller and Miller Lite. It's smoother and less corny for some reason. And, union made by my UAW brothers and sisters - so there’s that. (251 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +57.7%

I actually buy these and coors beers. I rather like this. Good flavor smooth and doesn't leave you disappointed. I drink these frequently. It tastes like beer smells like beer and is high quality for a macro. Good show miller, I rather like this beer (250 characters)

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co. Ya. That's right. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this brew's got a typically waning head, clear golden body, and no lacing. It could be worse. We all know this.

I smell corn. Period.

I taste corn and grains. Not terrible. I think this brew is pretty decent-tasting. Sue me.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp.

Overall a 3 is given to Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co. I am not biased to drink and review AAL's. I thank nicholas2121 for supplying this brew to me during a meeting concerning this website and its workings. (590 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +29%

Miller Genuine Draft brewed by Miller Brewing Co. with an an abv of of 4.7% This brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell you pick up on grains and corn. The look and smell is that of an American Adjunct Lager. There is nothing special about this brew so far. The taste is ok you pick up on the corn in this brew, but it is not bad. The mouthfeel is nice and clean. There is nothing bad about this brew.Miller Genuine Draft goes down smooth with a clean finish. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.25 out of 5. This is not the worst I've had but not the best. I would get this brew again. (613 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Perhaps a little darker than most adjunct lagers this poured with a fizzy weak head of thin fleeting bubbles.

The nose is bit off putting with a corn and stale malt.

The flavor is more corn adjuncts and less barley but I did not detect the strong metallic flavor that seems ubiquitous in adjuncts.

The feel is highly carbonated and a bit slick with a detracting thinness.

I didn't expect much and got what I expected, a macro brewed adjunct. (445 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -32%

Poured into a fluted pilsner glass.

Look: Crystal clear golden body. The white head is foamy and rocky, good retention. Light lacing.

Aroma: Lots of corn in the nose, slightly metallic, corn husk.

Taste: Like the aroma, a very corn-driven profile. Some cereal grains as well.

Mouthfeel: Oddly creamy.

Overall: The massive corn adjunct tastes disgusting. Never again. (371 characters)

this was the beer that got me to like beer. I didn't care for bud light, milwaukee's best, coors, pbr, or any of the other big-name generic beers out there. they tasted like water-down crap. I remember first tasting this beer and liking it for its crisp, citrus notes, and then seeking out beers with more intense flavors. while it pales in comparison to what I enjoy drinking now, that's okay. it's still very easy to drink, cheap, and tastes decent. (451 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance
Large fluffy head with good retention and good lacing. Clear golden body with strong carbonation. Looks refreshing. Quite appealing.

Smell
Clean. Neutral. Mild malts.

Taste
Tastes like a cleaner version of Miller High Life. The harshness of High Life has been cold filtered out. Very smooth. Hard to differentiate between corn and gentle malt. Hops are very mild, bitter, and clean. Very smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied. Clean. Refreshing.

Overall
Surprisingly good. Refreshing and clean, but with good flavor for a pale lager beer. This beer is way under-appreciated. Better than Budweiser or Coors Banquet. Clean, refreshing, and tasty. A very good macro lager. (692 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Serving: Can into cup
Served: 7 May 2014

Appearance: A pale yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Not as profound an assertion of sweet corniness as other beers in the AAL bracket, rather, this one was very earthy and had some awkward assertions of gym-locker sweat.

Taste: Harsh, astringent earthiness/sweatiness is a primary component of this beer. That said, since I was able to taste something (even if it tasted like sweaty ass), this beer gets higher marks from me in the taste department than others in the AAL bracket.

Mouthfeel: This one kept its carbonation longer than others, but quickly became a thin watery mess.

Overall: If you like drinking sweaty ass, drink MGD. This was the lowest rated beer in the AAL bracket, finishing just below Bud Light. (768 characters)

2.47/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pale golden colored with a trace of white head barely appearing. Light Brussel's lacing. Aroma of corn and faint bittering hops. The mouth is light and crisp. I get corn,light malt and a trace of bittering hops. This is for hot weather and is highly quaffable. (260 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: clear straw with plenty of carbonation. 1" white head, decent lacing.
Aroma: fairly mild, some corn husks, maybe a bit of hops.
Mouthfeel: light, crisp, refreshing, finishes quite dry.
Flavor: mild flavor of corn sweetness, some white bread, a hint of hops in the finish. (286 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not only my first live review, but my first review in the first place. Tackling a favorite at the liquor store I work at, but a beer that is steadily declining in sales, falling 56.4 percent from 2007 to 2012. Let's see if the taste has anything to do with it or if an overblown consumer market is to blame...

Poured into your average glass, the beer bears a thick, bone-white head about one finger thick (excuse me, maybe I don't know how to pour properly - just an amateur here). Color is pale yellow and unsurprising for an American lager. Clearly heavily carbonated and resembles pretty much every other domestic beer out there, that I've had of course (Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc). Nothing remarkable in the visual field.

Smell is of cheap adjuncts, such as corn and wheat (I think). Smells, again, like every mainstream beer I've ever had. Let's hope the taste provides something new (it should since it isn't heat-pasteurized to give the taste and feel of a draft beer).

Taste is surprisingly lighter than I expected, given this one isn't marketed as a lighter alternative (makes me assume Miller 64 is more watery than your average forty-ounce). One thing I like about the taste is it doesn't possess that sharp, bitterness Miller Lite and Coors Light often do. It's actually very drinkable and refreshing.

Mouthfeel boasts heavy carbonation, which isn't atypical but is a bit overpowering.

Honestly, this is one of the better mainstream beers I've had. The purists will hate, the craft fans won't blink at this, but it's moderately satisfying, goes down easy, and barely hinders at 4.7 percent ABV.

Served in 24 ounce can. (1,654 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +50.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Gold straw

S - Slight corn

T - Highly carbonized corn, malt and faint hops.

M - Medium and a bit creamy

O - I really like this- always have. Goes down smooth. Very refreshing! I know that my leg-crossing, pansy beer aficionado peers sneer at this brew. Don't listen to them! This is a good standard that stands tall among it's throng of AAL competitors. (361 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -18.7%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of April 14, 2014 printed on the bottleneck. A friend gifted this bottle to me yesterday at a cookout so that I could finally review it on here and lay this one to rest. Another one of Miller's classic line-up beers. It's been a while since I've had this, but I'm not expecting much.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a thin watery pale straw yellow. Looks exactly the same in the glass as it did in the bottle. Two fingers of fluffy foamy bone white head. Lots of bubbles. Standard appearance. Some halfway decent head retention for what it is, and some nice scattered strands of fluffy lace.

S - Musty yeast and grainy / husky pilsner malts. Some dusty and dirty coiny metallics. Not very pleasant smelling.

T - Taste follows the nose - harsh grainy husky malts, musty east, wet paperboard, and a sharp nail polish remover alcohol bite, despite the low abv. Tastes of cheap adjuncts and chemically treated swill. Grainy & nail polish remover are the best words I have to describe this one.

M - Feel has the trademark Miller crispness to it. Light-bodied with okay carbonation. Easy drinking.

Overall, not my favorite offering from the bottom of the barrel adjunct lagers, but that didn't come as any surprise to me. Cheap, mildly offensive, but it would go well with some BBQ on hot day.

Miller Genuine Draft ---2/5. (1,372 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A - Nothing special. Golden piss.

S - Hmmm, smells like bad lager...

T - Yep, not good. But if I'm comparing, slightly better than other lame duck major lagers out there.

O - Nothing special or good here. If you need a cheap American lager pick Miler High life, actually. This, however is derivative at not really worth your time. You can find cheaper that you wont notice if it's worse or even better for that matter. (421 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer gets a bad wrap from some people but really this is probably one of the best brews from miller that I know of.. People getting this and complaining seem like they don't even realize what theyre buying.. It isn't meant to be a craft beer at all.. It simply suppose to taste like a fresh draft beer.. that's it.. and to me it tastes BETTER than many drafts.. I will admit the taste can vary.. sometimes they taste better than others.. and tbh The PAST mgd seemed better than whats made now.. But maybe its my tastes changing, no idea. But it has a very cereal grainy smell to it.. stronger than any beer I can think of.. everytime I smell it I think "cereal". it has a lot of carbonation and in my opinion, a decent taste. When I buy beer this is basically the cheapest beer I will ever buy, and it sure does the trick for what It is.. The only complaint I might have is I can drink ALOT of them.. seems like an 18 pack of these doesn't last long.. black crown is the same way... something about them makes u wanna drink em fast... (1,039 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +31.5%

So the gimmick of this beer is that it isn't pasteurized. I can't think of too many macro beers that aren't (I know Coors Banquet used to be unpasteurized but I don't know if this is still the case). Miller seems to maintain that something is lost during this pasteurization process that makes it markedly different from a draft beer. Kegs are not pasteurized, hence the Genuine Draft title. It is, essentially, an attempt at draft-version of Miller High Life.

Semantics aside, what we have here is a solid all-around swill. This is better than Bud and Coors' full flavored offerings. Obviously you know right away whether or not this beer is worth your time. I like this sort of thing, this is a classic beer. By classic I mean "typical example" and not "enduring work of excellence". This is the kind of beer my dad and uncles remember chugging after a baseball game or what have you. Its not reinventing the wheel. Miller set out to make a bottled beer with draft taste and on that level, they succeeded. This is not a bad beer, much better than Lite and as good as High Life. As I have stated, it tastes like a draft version of High Life. Whether or not you find that appealing is up to you.

The beer looks great. Frothy, foamy head that retains, and is superior in appearance to any macrobrew I have ever seen, and better than many craft beers. Taste is classic miller, corny, complete absence of hops. Taste is comparable to High Life but the mouthfeel is markedly inferior to that beer, as it does not have the same "champagne" like carbonation.

I liked this beer and its one I will start buying more often as the days turn warmer and thoughts turn to that of baseball games and barbeques. (1,702 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +14.1%

Hard to tell why I drink this. Has no outstanding characteristics. First off it comes in a clear glass bottle, not good for shelf life. Second it's appearance looks like p***, you know. Smells like medicine. Taste, what taste. Mouthfeel like water.

But when you come in from 3 hours on the John Deere it certainly doesn't taste like water. Goes down easily, after a couple a three before dinner even "she who must obeyed" cooking seems like gourmet!

Quenches the thirst nicely. I always keep some in the fridge. Never drink water when you can drink beer! (556 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.75 max
-0.4 significantly order stastistically
malty barlish
smooth crisp and wellcarbonated
husky mid bodied
pale golden
Man sitting next to me laughing over the grammar on TV ...
grainy lite toasty
great for thirtsty quenching
so-grainy
toasted grain bready cereal
hops are used and can be tasted yet dull in taste and palate | smell husky and lite (352 characters)

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.