Join our email list →

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co.
Wisconsin, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 629 | Hads: 2,319

this was the beer that got me to like beer. I didn't care for bud light, milwaukee's best, coors, pbr, or any of the other big-name generic beers out there. they tasted like water-down crap. I remember first tasting this beer and liking it for its crisp, citrus notes, and then seeking out beers with more intense flavors. while it pales in comparison to what I enjoy drinking now, that's okay. it's still very easy to drink, cheap, and tastes decent.

3.62/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance
Large fluffy head with good retention and good lacing. Clear golden body with strong carbonation. Looks refreshing. Quite appealing.

Smell
Clean. Neutral. Mild malts.

Taste
Tastes like a cleaner version of Miller High Life. The harshness of High Life has been cold filtered out. Very smooth. Hard to differentiate between corn and gentle malt. Hops are very mild, bitter, and clean. Very smooth and refreshing.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied. Clean. Refreshing.

Overall
Surprisingly good. Refreshing and clean, but with good flavor for a pale lager beer. This beer is way under-appreciated. Better than Budweiser or Coors Banquet. Clean, refreshing, and tasty. A very good macro lager.

1.98/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Serving: Can into cup
Served: 7 May 2014

Appearance: A pale yellow with a fizzy white head.

Smell: Not as profound an assertion of sweet corniness as other beers in the AAL bracket, rather, this one was very earthy and had some awkward assertions of gym-locker sweat.

Taste: Harsh, astringent earthiness/sweatiness is a primary component of this beer. That said, since I was able to taste something (even if it tasted like sweaty ass), this beer gets higher marks from me in the taste department than others in the AAL bracket.

Mouthfeel: This one kept its carbonation longer than others, but quickly became a thin watery mess.

Overall: If you like drinking sweaty ass, drink MGD. This was the lowest rated beer in the AAL bracket, finishing just below Bud Light.

2.47/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pale golden colored with a trace of white head barely appearing. Light Brussel's lacing. Aroma of corn and faint bittering hops. The mouth is light and crisp. I get corn,light malt and a trace of bittering hops. This is for hot weather and is highly quaffable.

2.09/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: clear straw with plenty of carbonation. 1" white head, decent lacing.
Aroma: fairly mild, some corn husks, maybe a bit of hops.
Mouthfeel: light, crisp, refreshing, finishes quite dry.
Flavor: mild flavor of corn sweetness, some white bread, a hint of hops in the finish.

3.04/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not only my first live review, but my first review in the first place. Tackling a favorite at the liquor store I work at, but a beer that is steadily declining in sales, falling 56.4 percent from 2007 to 2012. Let's see if the taste has anything to do with it or if an overblown consumer market is to blame...

Poured into your average glass, the beer bears a thick, bone-white head about one finger thick (excuse me, maybe I don't know how to pour properly - just an amateur here). Color is pale yellow and unsurprising for an American lager. Clearly heavily carbonated and resembles pretty much every other domestic beer out there, that I've had of course (Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light, etc). Nothing remarkable in the visual field.

Smell is of cheap adjuncts, such as corn and wheat (I think). Smells, again, like every mainstream beer I've ever had. Let's hope the taste provides something new (it should since it isn't heat-pasteurized to give the taste and feel of a draft beer).

Taste is surprisingly lighter than I expected, given this one isn't marketed as a lighter alternative (makes me assume Miller 64 is more watery than your average forty-ounce). One thing I like about the taste is it doesn't possess that sharp, bitterness Miller Lite and Coors Light often do. It's actually very drinkable and refreshing.

Mouthfeel boasts heavy carbonation, which isn't atypical but is a bit overpowering.

Honestly, this is one of the better mainstream beers I've had. The purists will hate, the craft fans won't blink at this, but it's moderately satisfying, goes down easy, and barely hinders at 4.7 percent ABV.

Served in 24 ounce can.

3.62/5  rDev +53.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Gold straw

S - Slight corn

T - Highly carbonized corn, malt and faint hops.

M - Medium and a bit creamy

O - I really like this- always have. Goes down smooth. Very refreshing! I know that my leg-crossing, pansy beer aficionado peers sneer at this brew. Don't listen to them! This is a good standard that stands tall among it's throng of AAL competitors.

1.96/5  rDev -16.9%

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of April 14, 2014 printed on the bottleneck. A friend gifted this bottle to me yesterday at a cookout so that I could finally review it on here and lay this one to rest. Another one of Miller's classic line-up beers. It's been a while since I've had this, but I'm not expecting much.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a thin watery pale straw yellow. Looks exactly the same in the glass as it did in the bottle. Two fingers of fluffy foamy bone white head. Lots of bubbles. Standard appearance. Some halfway decent head retention for what it is, and some nice scattered strands of fluffy lace.

S - Musty yeast and grainy / husky pilsner malts. Some dusty and dirty coiny metallics. Not very pleasant smelling.

T - Taste follows the nose - harsh grainy husky malts, musty east, wet paperboard, and a sharp nail polish remover alcohol bite, despite the low abv. Tastes of cheap adjuncts and chemically treated swill. Grainy & nail polish remover are the best words I have to describe this one.

M - Feel has the trademark Miller crispness to it. Light-bodied with okay carbonation. Easy drinking.

Overall, not my favorite offering from the bottom of the barrel adjunct lagers, but that didn't come as any surprise to me. Cheap, mildly offensive, but it would go well with some BBQ on hot day.

Miller Genuine Draft ---2/5.

1.79/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A - Nothing special. Golden piss.

S - Hmmm, smells like bad lager...

T - Yep, not good. But if I'm comparing, slightly better than other lame duck major lagers out there.

O - Nothing special or good here. If you need a cheap American lager pick Miler High life, actually. This, however is derivative at not really worth your time. You can find cheaper that you wont notice if it's worse or even better for that matter.

3.28/5  rDev +39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer gets a bad wrap from some people but really this is probably one of the best brews from miller that I know of.. People getting this and complaining seem like they don't even realize what theyre buying.. It isn't meant to be a craft beer at all.. It simply suppose to taste like a fresh draft beer.. that's it.. and to me it tastes BETTER than many drafts.. I will admit the taste can vary.. sometimes they taste better than others.. and tbh The PAST mgd seemed better than whats made now.. But maybe its my tastes changing, no idea. But it has a very cereal grainy smell to it.. stronger than any beer I can think of.. everytime I smell it I think "cereal". it has a lot of carbonation and in my opinion, a decent taste. When I buy beer this is basically the cheapest beer I will ever buy, and it sure does the trick for what It is.. The only complaint I might have is I can drink ALOT of them.. seems like an 18 pack of these doesn't last long.. black crown is the same way... something about them makes u wanna drink em fast...

3.17/5  rDev +34.3%

So the gimmick of this beer is that it isn't pasteurized. I can't think of too many macro beers that aren't (I know Coors Banquet used to be unpasteurized but I don't know if this is still the case). Miller seems to maintain that something is lost during this pasteurization process that makes it markedly different from a draft beer. Kegs are not pasteurized, hence the Genuine Draft title. It is, essentially, an attempt at draft-version of Miller High Life.

Semantics aside, what we have here is a solid all-around swill. This is better than Bud and Coors' full flavored offerings. Obviously you know right away whether or not this beer is worth your time. I like this sort of thing, this is a classic beer. By classic I mean "typical example" and not "enduring work of excellence". This is the kind of beer my dad and uncles remember chugging after a baseball game or what have you. Its not reinventing the wheel. Miller set out to make a bottled beer with draft taste and on that level, they succeeded. This is not a bad beer, much better than Lite and as good as High Life. As I have stated, it tastes like a draft version of High Life. Whether or not you find that appealing is up to you.

The beer looks great. Frothy, foamy head that retains, and is superior in appearance to any macrobrew I have ever seen, and better than many craft beers. Taste is classic miller, corny, complete absence of hops. Taste is comparable to High Life but the mouthfeel is markedly inferior to that beer, as it does not have the same "champagne" like carbonation.

I liked this beer and its one I will start buying more often as the days turn warmer and thoughts turn to that of baseball games and barbeques.

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Hard to tell why I drink this. Has no outstanding characteristics. First off it comes in a clear glass bottle, not good for shelf life. Second it's appearance looks like p***, you know. Smells like medicine. Taste, what taste. Mouthfeel like water.

But when you come in from 3 hours on the John Deere it certainly doesn't taste like water. Goes down easily, after a couple a three before dinner even "she who must obeyed" cooking seems like gourmet!

Quenches the thirst nicely. I always keep some in the fridge. Never drink water when you can drink beer!

2.61/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.75 max
-0.4 significantly order stastistically
malty barlish
smooth crisp and wellcarbonated
husky mid bodied
pale golden
Man sitting next to me laughing over the grammar on TV ...
grainy lite toasty
great for thirtsty quenching
so-grainy
toasted grain bready cereal
hops are used and can be tasted yet dull in taste and palate | smell husky and lite

Pours two fingers of head on a clear light golden colored body.
The aroma is an unpleasantly sharp metallic lemon and rice smell.
The taste is sweet with some mild bitterness towards the end. Just really sweet.
The texture is crisp with some stickiness. Moderate carbonation, but it feels really fizzy.
Well, it looked good.

1.66/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

DATE TASTED: January 10, 2014... GLASSWARE: Ommegang pokal...OCCASION: Shan's winterm is over; new Shark tank... APPEARANCE: two-finger swiftly declining soupy white head; slightly sallow, golden body with sparse bubbles; lacing is cloudy and sporadic... AROMA: sharp, pingy hops; malts are corny with wafts of honey and syrup... PALATE: gas-inducing, rather thin body; lingering aftertaste; oily and resilient...TASTE: sweet, almost lip-puckering sweet corn malt akin to thee malt liquor swigged in college... OVERALL: a top-shelf beer-fridge filler and a third-beer-of-the-night kind of quality; does not distinguish itself from the rest of the miller production line...

2.6/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a non-beer glass.

Poured gold-yellow, with a huge head (3 fingers plus), but I think that's because the bottle was shaken/moved a bit before I got it. Colour looks like a light apple juice. Lots of bubbles flying up the glass. Head settled in a couple minutes to some random foam and lacing, very uneven.

Scent was a sort of bready aroma, a little reminiscent of Italian food (tomato sauces, etc.).

Flavour: Quite light. In fact, almost tastes like apple juice. That cherry-like flavour is present, as expected from an American Adjunct Lager. Not my preference as far as beer flavours go.

Moderate carbonation, which I like.

Overall, no surprises here, but this is not a beer style I like. I suppose I would choose this over Budweiser, though, if that's all the choice I had.

3.79/5  rDev +60.6%

The best word to describe it is refreshing. It is not the best tasting beer in the world, thats for sure, but after a long day of work, it is great to kick back and have a few of these.

Doesn't deserve the scrutiny it seems to be getting. I would defenitely advise someone who is thirsty to pick up a few bottles of this.

3.37/5  rDev +42.8%

* Reviewed along with Ronald Theriot, aka Louisiana Beer Reviews on Youtube, in a Google+ chat.*

A- Looked alright in the glass for an adjunct lager. I used my etched Miller Lite shaker, and it was well carbonated, and had a soapy head that actually did stick around. Lacing at bottom of glass is there.

S- Sweet, grainy, wet cardboard, corn husks, slight hop spice. Tad malty now that I think of it. No cooked veggie smell here.

T- Slightly creamy head. Clean water taste, sweet, with a wet grainy, corn husk type taste. Not that I've tried wet paper, but I'd guess similar to that in graininess. Nothing wow or bad. Not overly adjunct in taste, but it is there.

M- Light, watery, crisp, clean, and refreshing. Slight grainy bitter type finish is the only downfall. Dry overall.

*Overall, this is an average beer. For adjunct lagers, it not half bad! It does have a draft type creamy feel, but it is just your standard American lager. But I was pleasantly supprised to see how the lacing stuck around at the bottom of the glass. I wouldn't ever pass up an MGD, although, I'd just not go out of my way to buy some.

2.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: It looks like a cheap beer. Very little head, thin lacing down the side of the bottle and a piss yellow color.

Smell: Smelled almost like a Corona, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, but it was almost soapy in smell and a little watered down.

Taste: Not that bad. Not that good either. It was clean tasting, non-offensive but pretty bland. I had a few in the afternoon relaxing and it was great in that environment when I was something cheap, wet and alchoholic. Like a bad Corona. But not really.

Mouthfeel: Felt like a soda, very bubbly and acidic.

Overall: 2.5/5 because I drank three and was happy, thirst was quenched and my wallet remained full and my pride didn't allow me to resort to anything worse than this.

okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay

1.86/5  rDev -21.2%

Served September 2013 from keg into pint glass

Appearance: Light gold, with thin head that did not last long. It looks better than it tastes.

Smell: Very mild aromas. I get some sweet-malt aromas, but overall not much.

Taste: Very light body. Not a lot of hops nor malt taste.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but smooth smooth.

Overall: Ok American pilsner. I prefer this to the other mass produced pilsners like Bud or Pabst. Would not buy a case, but will drink it if only American pilsners are available.

2.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Enjoyed this bottle of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a golden straw hue with a thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving a thin lace and partial trail.

S: Slightly skunky grains and hops.

T: Similar to the aroma there is a skunky flavor mixed with some grains and hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Actually not as bad as I though – better than bud light.

3.92/5  rDev +66.1%

I do not understand the reason why many people do not like Miller Genuine Drafft. I love this beer.

I like the taste and how it smell, maybe because this is the kind of beer that you can drink when you want to refresh yourself. Is very good to drink in hot temperatures and when people is tired, relaxing , etc

3.56/5  rDev +50.8%

looks and smells like a macro.
taste is a bit more dry than usual.
a bit of cereal grains and very smooth.
finishes dry leaving nothing to remember.
mouthfeel is a bit more heavy with some smaller than normal bubbled carbonation.

good, slammable, non offensive brew, as macros go.

a very well done adjunct lager.
great on a hot summer day

2.08/5  rDev -11.9%

Not particularly offensive, it has no flavours that taste particularly bad; but it tastes like nothing. Reminded me of Perrier. A beer I would drink again at a party or somewhere that I want to get drunk cause it goes down smooth like the water it tastes like, but nothing I would ever purchase.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.