Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 614 | Hads: 2,227
2.6/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 355 mL bottle into a non-beer glass.

Poured gold-yellow, with a huge head (3 fingers plus), but I think that's because the bottle was shaken/moved a bit before I got it. Colour looks like a light apple juice. Lots of bubbles flying up the glass. Head settled in a couple minutes to some random foam and lacing, very uneven.

Scent was a sort of bready aroma, a little reminiscent of Italian food (tomato sauces, etc.).

Flavour: Quite light. In fact, almost tastes like apple juice. That cherry-like flavour is present, as expected from an American Adjunct Lager. Not my preference as far as beer flavours go.

Moderate carbonation, which I like.

Overall, no surprises here, but this is not a beer style I like. I suppose I would choose this over Budweiser, though, if that's all the choice I had. (813 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +57.9%

The best word to describe it is refreshing. It is not the best tasting beer in the world, thats for sure, but after a long day of work, it is great to kick back and have a few of these.

Doesn't deserve the scrutiny it seems to be getting. I would defenitely advise someone who is thirsty to pick up a few bottles of this. (323 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +40.4%

* Reviewed along with Ronald Theriot, aka Louisiana Beer Reviews on Youtube, in a Google+ chat.*

A- Looked alright in the glass for an adjunct lager. I used my etched Miller Lite shaker, and it was well carbonated, and had a soapy head that actually did stick around. Lacing at bottom of glass is there.

S- Sweet, grainy, wet cardboard, corn husks, slight hop spice. Tad malty now that I think of it. No cooked veggie smell here.

T- Slightly creamy head. Clean water taste, sweet, with a wet grainy, corn husk type taste. Not that I've tried wet paper, but I'd guess similar to that in graininess. Nothing wow or bad. Not overly adjunct in taste, but it is there.

M- Light, watery, crisp, clean, and refreshing. Slight grainy bitter type finish is the only downfall. Dry overall.

*Overall, this is an average beer. For adjunct lagers, it not half bad! It does have a draft type creamy feel, but it is just your standard American lager. But I was pleasantly supprised to see how the lacing stuck around at the bottom of the glass. I wouldn't ever pass up an MGD, although, I'd just not go out of my way to buy some. (1,120 characters)

2.51/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: It looks like a cheap beer. Very little head, thin lacing down the side of the bottle and a piss yellow color.

Smell: Smelled almost like a Corona, which I don't think is necessarily a bad thing, but it was almost soapy in smell and a little watered down.

Taste: Not that bad. Not that good either. It was clean tasting, non-offensive but pretty bland. I had a few in the afternoon relaxing and it was great in that environment when I was something cheap, wet and alchoholic. Like a bad Corona. But not really.

Mouthfeel: Felt like a soda, very bubbly and acidic.

Overall: 2.5/5 because I drank three and was happy, thirst was quenched and my wallet remained full and my pride didn't allow me to resort to anything worse than this. (747 characters)

okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay okay (429 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -22.5%

Served September 2013 from keg into pint glass

Appearance: Light gold, with thin head that did not last long. It looks better than it tastes.

Smell: Very mild aromas. I get some sweet-malt aromas, but overall not much.

Taste: Very light body. Not a lot of hops nor malt taste.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but smooth smooth.

Overall: Ok American pilsner. I prefer this to the other mass produced pilsners like Bud or Pabst. Would not buy a case, but will drink it if only American pilsners are available. (498 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +11.3%

Enjoyed this bottle of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a golden straw hue with a thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving a thin lace and partial trail.

S: Slightly skunky grains and hops.

T: Similar to the aroma there is a skunky flavor mixed with some grains and hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Actually not as bad as I though – better than bud light. (383 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +63.3%

I do not understand the reason why many people do not like Miller Genuine Drafft. I love this beer.

I like the taste and how it smell, maybe because this is the kind of beer that you can drink when you want to refresh yourself. Is very good to drink in hot temperatures and when people is tired, relaxing , etc (311 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +48.3%

looks and smells like a macro.
taste is a bit more dry than usual.
a bit of cereal grains and very smooth.
finishes dry leaving nothing to remember.
mouthfeel is a bit more heavy with some smaller than normal bubbled carbonation.

good, slammable, non offensive brew, as macros go.

a very well done adjunct lager.
great on a hot summer day (342 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -13.3%

Not particularly offensive, it has no flavours that taste particularly bad; but it tastes like nothing. Reminded me of Perrier. A beer I would drink again at a party or somewhere that I want to get drunk cause it goes down smooth like the water it tastes like, but nothing I would ever purchase. (295 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz./355ml bottle purchased at Contan Discount Liquors, Somerville, MA
Jun1713
Served in a pint glass

Surprisingly impressive appearance. The liquid poured a crystal clear, pale straw yellow color and was topped by an inch tall, bubbly, foamy, bright white head. Excellent retention. The head slowly faded to a thin film and deposited thick, drippy blankets of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was incredibly subtle. Some dry, powdery, lager yeast notes were detectible. Faint grains. Touch of skunkiness. Very adjunct ridden and watered down.

Like the aroma, the flavor profile was exceedingly nondescript. Somewhat grainy with adjunct notes. Slightly chemical-like. Bitter-ish finish. Super watery.

The mouthfeel was very light and over carbonated. Prickly, bubbly and rather distracting. Then again, maybe distracting is a good thing here.

Of all the American macro lagers I have tried, Miller Genuine Draft was one of the lightest on flavor, aroma and mouthfeel. This is truly carbonated water disguised as beer. (1,044 characters)

473 ml can served cold, in a pint glass. Purchased from the beer store for $2.15 CDN. In my mind this has long been one of my more enjoyed adjunct lagers, although doing a full review I'm curious to see how it stands up.

Appearance - crystal clear sparkling gold color. Capped by over a finger of white head that had respectable retention time. Lots of bubbles make a quick ascent to the surface. Even some lacing left behind.

Smell - a faint corn sweetness, some straw and other grains and not much else. Unimpressive.

Taste - some adjunct sweetness in the middle, faint bit of well chewed bubblegum. Very clean tasting. The sweetness breaks away into nothing to prevent any cloying flavours. It's not really that bad.

Mouthfeel - smooth and crisp, albeit a little on the thin side. Somewhat dry finish.

Overall - not as bad as some people say, I'd rather have this than Bud or Coors and probably even Molson Canadian. Highly drinkable and easy to put a few away. (971 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +20%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A guilty pleasure. Sometimes You just need a light heavy beer, and this one fits the bill nicely. Pours a dark golden color. A solid head that condensed quickly. It drinks easily, and is quite carbonated. The taste dissipated quickly. Quite refreshing. (252 characters)

2.46/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Aug2613 on the bottom of the can... WOW! This beer is "good" for another 600 years!

Appearance: Actually looks... very good. A creamy looking head. A nice pale golden color. Nice lacing ... and this is just what I saw when looking down into my can. This may have actually been worth pouring. MEH.

Smell: Sweet corn... what a shock. Not overly corny, though. Nothing metallic.

Taste/feel: Taste is pretty subtle... almost drinks like a light beer. Almost nothing there. Creamed corn would describe this best. Maybe some grain, but yeah. Not much. Not bad though. The feel is actually REALLY creamy to me, which is a bit weird for this beer... or any lager. It gets kind of foamy in my mouth. Eh.

Another AAL that I like more than the majority. Not a good beer by any means, but it doesn't taste bad. The mouth feel was a surprise, though with the name "Genuine DRAFT" I should have actually expected it.

One of the better examples of the style. (948 characters)

2.46/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer brings back memories of my parents BBQ'ing and there was always this one family friend - a pretty funny middle aged guy, can't remember his name at the moment (this was almost 20 years ago) - who was always drinking this stuff. I literally don't recall anybody in those 20 years who has touted this as anything, or even given it basic respect. "Garbage beer" seems to be the consensus with everyone I know...I'm here to make some counterpoints:

Appearance: 12oz can with the "Punch Top" gimmick. Didn't bother with that. Crack this thing open and CRRRRSHSHSHHH - a solid amount of frothy head comes bursting from the top, then drizzling down the side of the can...very commercial-like...Plain enough golden can. Not gonna pour it, because to me this is a beer you just drink from the can. It is what it is. So far so good.

Smell: Rice, alcohol, a gallon of tap water that has baked in the sun for an indeterminable length of time. Not good.

Taste: white rice. Stale housebrand corn flakes. Watered down apple juice. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but very carbonated, with a sharp crisp finish. The frothiest, smoothest, most easy-drinking macro IN TERMS OF MOUTHFEEL. The way this beer drinks is spot on for the style, and blows the other brands out of the water.

Overall: This is what I thought all beer tasted like when I was a kid. The quintessential "EW, GROSS!" taste that everyone is familiar with back when you were ~6 years old and dad let you get a sip - a fond memory, looking back on it... back to the beer itself: i'd never go out of my way for it, and 9 times out of 10 i'd pass up buying it if i saw it. never turn down a free one though, and this would be great while doing some charcoal grilling, gritty yard work, car maintenance, or after a rough shift. there's a grit to it that is kind of charming, but also kind of gross. (1,856 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -15.8%

A: Very clear pale straw color very little lacing.

S: Not much on the aroma.

T: watery. .Taste is watery sweet iron / well water

M: watery..Pours a light amber with no head

O: it’s not that great, a cheap ok beer for Kayak It does not have the intensity of my usual beer a IPA. No hops some malt I feel like its missing something and that would probably be the lack of intensity of the hop flavors’ that I come to expect from my IPAs.
Serving type: Can (463 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Served from a 341ml bottle.

A: Very clear pale straw color topped with a one finger head the dissipated quickly and left very little lacing.

S: Not much on the aroma. Perhaps a touch of grain and skunk, but otherwise pretty much scentless.

T: Very watery. The only things made really apparent on the palate are a displeasing graininess and a bit of skunk as well, most likely due to the clear bottle. Just very watery overall.

M:Fairly thin and very fizzy. Generic BMC feel really.

O: Not much to say about this beer other than its not that great. Used to drink it all the time but I can't see how I could stand it. I only drank half a glass and then gave it away to my dad. (679 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

MGD is generally percieved as one of the more luxurious adjunct lagers up here in Canada, as people buy it by the case like crazy. I will say it's better than some of the local swill, but at the end of the day it tastes very plain and uninspiring. I'd hate to sample the light version, which thankfully is very hard to come by here.

The taste is very clean and not terribly corny, and surprisingly is not skunky despite being served in a clear bottle.

I can't see myself buying this again since it is more expensive than the usual Kokanee or Canadian, but it's fine for the style. (583 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -1.7%

Served in a 12 oz bottle.
Appearance is a light golden color. No cloudiness or murkiness to it. Barely has any aroma to it, what is there seems to be a slightly sour, maybe some sort of grain smell?
Taste is actually rather decent. Not anything I would drink over and over, but it is crisp and light, and doesn't leave a lingering flavor on the tongue.
Overall a refreshing cheap light beer, drank this while watching a hockey game, and it was really the perfect thing to sip on during the game. (497 characters)

2.76/5  rDev +15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a golden color body with a two finger fluffy, bubbly white head.

Some sort of adjunct like smell to it, no hop presence, and pretty grainy. No skunk fortunately.

Metallic-like rice flavor, some grain, and typical adjunct flavor. No hop bitterness. Rather crystal clear taste.

Pretty watery, and a decent amount of carbonation.

A typical adjunct, but I think I prefer this one over other similar offerings such as Molson. Well, it's probably decent to drink a few of these on a hot summer night, but otherwise I'd spend my money on something else. (556 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +31.7%

I have been drank this beer since 1986. I tried all types of beer. It taste very good in bottle and in can it has a metallic taste. It is in can pour it in a glass. I always go back to this beer,,

Appearance : Looks like a lager beer in a glass.

Smells : It smells like corn grain

Taste: The smoothness of this beer is so great! I would not tried this beer for anything in wolrd. It's my most drinkable beer for me . It is smooth aand crisp. This is my beer taste!

Overall: There is nothing be learned about this beer. but hey, isn't that kind of the point of dranking some beer. (584 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

was this beer always this bad? I feel like when I was a kid and I went fishing with my dad and he would give me a can of this stuff, it had some appeal. some sort of honest outdoorsy quality. well, its completely gone. maybe I grew up, maybe they changed the recipe, who knows, but this stuff isn't even fit to batter the fish we used to catch with. the color is closer to mountain dew than a lager, is there honestly yellow 5 in this?! it smells like a corny adjunct, but it tastes more chemical than that. almost with an antifreeze sort of potency to it, its daunting. at least coors light and its peers still taste like beer to some degree, this taste like preservatives and artificial sweeteners. I can imagine how bad the 64 is, because its parent beer is a shocker. feel isn't that bad, a little thicker than it should be, but the carbonation is fine. overall this is something to avoid. it would chose it over some of the basement dwellers and budlight on principle, but this is really disgusting. the clear bottles do it no favors either. (1,046 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +46.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I tried this beer one time during the summer of 2012 and thought it was an ok to slightly decent beer. It is not a beer that i would have all of the time, but I would probably recommend it to another to try it. The taste was distinct and was very smooth and different from Miller High Life. The process of making a draft beer gives this beer a different characteristic. (369 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +67.9%

Whenever I feel like writing a review, I usually find myself reviewing a big name macro. I think this is because many of them get a really bum rap, and usually, in my opinion at least, solely in the name of beer snobbery. Don't get me wrong, I love craft brews and it's a large percentage of what I drink, but there are many a-time when I just feel like sluggin' a beer. So, sorry, there are really good macros, and macro lagers most definitely have a time and a place.

There really is nothing remarkable about Miller's smell, appearance, and feel. Looks like a pale lager, smells like a macro lager (you know, that real beery smell), and has less-than-over-the-top fizzy carbonation.

Anyhow, Miller has become a primary go-to brew for me and it's the taste that sets it apart from it's rival macros. It's like bread and butter. And my god, is it smooth (and please excuse my use of that word). It's my most drinkable beer, and mighty fine if you're having more than a few too. There's absolutely nothing off-putting about this beer, in fact it is delicious.

I'm real hard pressed to find a reason why this beer is so hated... other than beer snobbery. Maybe this beer is different in the States, but I doubt it since it is imported, not out-sourced brewed, up to Canada. Take it from me, this beer is good. There may not be anything to be learned about beer when drinking this, but hey, isn't that kind of the point sometimes? (1,430 characters)

A-Pours a very pale straw yellow with nearly no head. One ring of lacing is left however, which is a surprise.

S-Honestly I'm not really picking up anything; a very slight generic beer smell is present but virtually no nose on this one.

T-My first thought was "Where is the beer?" Carbonated water, a splash of generic beer flavor and thats about it. This is as about as close to carbonated water as it gets in a non-light beer.

M-Thin and watery

D-Its easy drinking but frustrating since it does not really taste like beer.

I bought this because it was one of the first beers I liked when I first started drinking when I turned 21 and my birthday is approaching so I thought it would be good to retry it. Bad decision. This is one of the worst beers I have ever had. It has less taste than Miller Lite. Avoid this if all possible. (836 characters)

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.