Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 621 | Hads: 2,266
1.44/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Why am I doing this to myself? The appearance is the best thing about this beer, even though I dumped it into my mug at a ferocious pace without anything resembling a head. It's like a quadruple filtered yellow. This beer tastes like corn - and vegtables - and more corn! Where are malt and hops? Smells unappetizing as well, mostly just vegtables. I'm drinking this stuff ice cold. If it tastes horrible when this cold, and with so much stuff filtered out of it, then I don't want to know what they filtered out of this beer. I'd rather have a slightly warm budweiser.

Do not pay for this beer.

Refuse if offered.

Stay Away.

2.7/5  rDev +14.9%

Cold-Filtered, lets see if it makes a difference.

Appearance-A smooth, golden, inviting color. Big head at the beginning but quickly dissapears leaving sticky foam in its wake. Nice.

Smell- alcohol present from the top, hints of corn and possibly cabbage. The metal of the can dosen't seem to hurt it, I'm impressed.

Taste-When they said Cold-Filtered they weren't kidding...where's the flavor!??!? The alcohol is there but no flavorful hops, nothing for your mouth to feed on at all. Sure it's cold but it really is filtered in that all the flavor is gone, you just taste solid watery filtered alcohol.

Mouthfeel-there is no aftertaste (whether that is good or bad is anyone's guess) because there are no flavors that even touched your tastebuds to remember, Slight alochol finish, but that's all you taste. Not pleasent on the mouth at all.

Drinkability-still easy enough to drink, even though flavor is lacking, once you have enough I guess you don't care. I mean come on I know they hate Bud but at least it takes like something.

Overall- just like Foster's I was fooled by an inviting appearance only to be dissapointed by the taste. Yet at least Foster's was bland from it's flavor and not the fact that it has been "Cold-Filtered" to absolute death. A sub-standard lager, I never thought I'd say this but I would recommend going with its younger brother Miller Lite because at least it tastes more like beer and not filtered liquid.

2.45/5  rDev +4.3%

a- bright yellow color, little white head
s- a corn and hops smell
t- can taste the corn and the hops however to watered down
m and d- not much differnt than the taste. drinkability was high do to being watered down.

I'd say i'd avoid this. Just has no real flavor outside corn and hops.

2.8/5  rDev +19.1%

MGD is better than Bud, but not as good as most small-lot beers. It's fairly light, neither too malty nor too hoppy, and you can drink more than one without retching. On the other hand, it's pretty bland and unmemorable. My dad used to drink Miller, so it was the first beer I ever tried. I still have a glass occasionally, usually when dining out, because it's a safe choice. But I don't really seek it out, and I wouldn't recommend that you do so either.

This beer is like most in the Adjunct Lager category. I would drink it if there were no other choices. Like water. Water is a choice.

Pours a pale, clear yellow color. Smell is nominally of hops. Taste defines bland – dry and uninspired. Super-filtered to make sure all the user gets is some slight sweetness of the malt. The rest is alcohol and water. Cheap, and tasteless, so good for beer pong.

In the end, I think the best part of this beer is it’s stupid name. Miller Genuine Draft. In a can. Right.

2.06/5  rDev -12.3%

(Note): I resample beers if still in existence once every 4 to 5 years, so thus you'll see some reviews from me that normally I Iwould not bother with, but all beer deserves a fair sample/review.

The beer after its release from the 12-ounce bottle set in the glass a limpid bright gold, the head is substantial and a semi-creamy bright white with the left over lace a thin sheet upon the glass, Nose is prototypical malt, sweet and clean, start sweet with a light grain presence and the top thinner than my hair. Finish is light to moderate in acidity, the hops apropos to the style, dry and lingering aftertaste.

3.15/5  rDev +34%

Since finding the BP with 99 cent 24's , I figure some of the beers I'd never try again, I can sample again really cheap. I spent a little more (1.10 OUCH) for this fine beverage, my first favorite beer MGD. I'll compare it with the Miller High Life I recently had. First few tastes, not so damn bad.

I always felt this was a step above and I would indeed prefer this to a Bud. (Truth. Not SABMiller Ad Hype) and yes, it looks and smells like every other macro. It's mouthfeel is slightly better because the creamy texture and drinkability is slightly better too because it goes down clean with a pleasant aftertaste.

How about the taste? Average but better than MHL. I'd take this if it was priced the same a Busch which is not saying much. Light alcohol flavor, heavy corn flavor but it doesn't specifically taste like corn as the hops and grain balance it taking off the MHL corn edge. Lets just say that if I'm ever going to drink Miller again, this would be the beer.

2.3/5  rDev -2.1%

This is probably the best beer that you'll see in a plastic cup at a frat house. Clearly, calling both this and Delirium beer seems wrong, but if I was drinking from a keg on someone's lawn and had to choose between MGD, Bud, Coors, and the rest of that class, MGD would come out on top every time. This is the best beer that can be affordably given to dozens or hundreds of people. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it sure beats Special Export.

2.58/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

My favorite of the American macros. Not great, but not heinous either. It makes me laugh now that back in college I was thought of as a "beer snob" because I drank MGD instead of Busch or Natty Ice. Of course, now that I have had some of the better beers, MGD pales in comparison, but I am not averse to buying a six-pack every now and then when I can't decide what I want at the beer store. That pretty much sums MGD up, I guess. Just a generic-looking, generic-tasting, not-too-terrible, relatively cheap beer. Meh.

3.3/5  rDev +40.4%

not horrable on tap, better than can or bottle. still not by far a good beer but somewhat better than in the bottle. has a flavor to it, not strong but not overly weak either. it was really cheap on tap, so that helps, i guess a fair beer for your value, but i would stick to tap

2.75/5  rDev +17%

Nice clear bottle, pours out slightly darker than most lagers. Smells sweet, actually pretty pungent.

It tastes like Miller High Life only more watery and not as sweet. Not at all bad, but not good either. The aftertaste is a little dry and bitter, which is probably my biggest problem with this beer. It's exceptionally smooth and goes down even easier than Miller High Life, though.

2.6/5  rDev +10.6%

Basically a standard macro in my opinion. Color is urine yellow and smell is typical macro rice or corn. Taste isn't very flavorful, but is smooth enough not to bother me. Drinkability is fairly decent since GD is smooth and doesn't have any strong negative flavors. Overall, this seems like a typical macro, good as a thirst quencher, but not enough flavor for an enjoyable beer experience.

2.45/5  rDev +4.3%

I was pleasantly surprised by the appearance of this one. Clear, brass-colored body topped by a shock white but billowy, lasting head. Heavy carbonation.

Unfortunately, it's all downhill from there.

Armoa of typical American macrobrew corn/rice adjuncts. Nothing else.

Taste mimics the smell. It's all corny rice, or ricey corn. Some hops mitigate this, but barely.

Mouthfeel typical of the style, a little harsh from the carbonation. Finishes with a whimper.

This is drinkable in the right circumstances, such as sitting in a sports arena with a hot dog or nachos in one hand, a MGD in the other. Other than that, avoid it.

1.51/5  rDev -35.7%

I just went to my friends house to celebrate the 4th of July and this beer and Miller Lite were all they had to offer! Shit, damn, other curse words, I can't believe I forgot to bring any beers. The appearance isn't awful because there is a nice fluffy head but this almost looks like water otherwise. No aroma and the taste is very bland, all I really taste is the can. Light in body but I guess it is smooth. I could probably drink a lot of these, but would I really want to? NO!

1.93/5  rDev -17.9%

Unlike most American macros in Canada, this is brewed in Wisconsin and actually imported, as opposed to being brewed under license by Labatt/Molson/Sleeman's. Corn taste, reminded me of Corona/Sol in basically every aspect. And it didn't agree with my stomach very much. Yuck.

1.65/5  rDev -29.8%

Bright yellow with a big head that dwindles. The head collects on the glass but it's not so much lacing as clumping.

The smell is reminiscent of college dorm on Sunday.

Taste isn't completely disagreeable. Just mostly. Stale malty taste tapers off quickly into a metal taste that last a while.

Bubbles and foam but mostly watery mouthfeel.

I don't want to drink another one these...ever.

2.61/5  rDev +11.1%

re-review 21/1/06
used as a calibration tool for bud and cascade draught.

same coloring (like that would change), decent stable 1/4in white head.

none of the sulphur i got from the can review. nothing special, just a bit of adjunct sweetness.

taking hints from the style description, this is thin on taste. im guessing single digit ibu's (if not negative). same sort of adjunct sweetness in the taste, but not cloying. obviously built for speed (of consumption), not substance (of taste).

much more enjoyable than out of the can, and this was two weeks past date and shipped to another country.

initial can review 8/6/04
clear yellowish color. basic pale lager.
sulphury aroma, like a lit match.
flavor basicallt a clone of miller lite, just a touch more body.
leaves a funny looking lacing on the glass. sort of a processed look.
if you can get past the smell, its pretty run-of-the-mill.

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

This brew is a sick gold color, white head. Overemphasis on sweet cornsyrup, not much can be said except that this is pretty much youre standard macro brew, probably on the lower half of the macros sad bunch of offerings. On the plus side it comes in plastic bottles so that when you throw them on the field in disgust, no one should be hurt.

2.3/5  rDev -2.1%

more bbq beer! anyway this was a clear light golden, fizzy white head. aroma was like any other mass produced lager, simple, light...but a touch off. kinda medicinal? flavor was simple and clean...major corn, light hop touch, light mineral taste. not good but not offensive either. of course this was ice cold and i admit, it was refreshing.

2.06/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours a champagne like, bubbly as hell yellow with a medium soapy head. not the worst of the macros in terms of appearance, but nothing good here either. the smell is really pretty bad, even for a macro: watery and metallic hop notes with hints of grain and a rubber tire. taste? what taste? less flavour than a miller lite. watery and sweet, at best. i found none of the finest hops and roasted malts that are boasted on the label, but perhaps noticed some wet cardboard dipped in sugar. drinkability is average, at best, i'd say, for the macro genre. blah.

1.87/5  rDev -20.4%

Plastic bottle, how low can you go? Yellow insipid color, large bubbles. Minimal head, doesnt stick around long. Nose is of corn and a wiff of cabadge. This stuff is bad, real bad. Taste is of corn, rice and faintist note of malt. cant detect hops, sure a few were put in the kettle. lawn mower beer, good on a very hot day.

1.58/5  rDev -32.8%

I had a couple of these from the bottle at an industry trade meeting. The bar didn’t offer many selections...all macros…and I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had one of these (12 years ago…or longer?).
What an absolute disaster: yellow water. I honestly tried to find some discerning characteristics. There simply are none. It’s yellow. It has no smell. It tastes like water. It is not bitter. It is not sweet. It’s somewhat over-carbonated. Maybe, just maybe, if you inhale with all your might and swish it around your mouth for a minute or more, you’ll get a slight graininess. It doesn’t taste like crap because it has no taste.
I really can’t think of anything to add.

1.32/5  rDev -43.8%

24 oz. can served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Oooh pale yellow. Surprise. Minimal head and scant carbonation. The head collapses to a film after 1.5 seconds. No lacing.

Smell: Sweet cornlike aromas. Faint hints of honey (or some sort of sugary stuff). Faint all-around on the aroma. My boo compared this to "decomposing rat." (she lived in NYC for awhile and took the subway to work (this was before Giuliani)).

Taste: Ossly brackish. Bready malt with grassy aftertastes. Mild sulfury finish. Boo called this "ass." I didn't ask how she knew.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, substance, anything. Overly watery.

Drinkability: The only macro I felt like drain pouring. It's craptastic.

Other: My can had NASCAR stuff on it. Where's mah pork rinds, boy!

1.41/5  rDev -40%

First the positives....it's got a cool gold and black restyled can since I last drank it....if only what was inside tasted as good as the can is designed...

I used to work for the local Miller distributor in college in the mid-to-late 80's and I remember when this first came out...I remember it being maltier, and tastier than this current version...I always thought High Life was better and now believe it to be vastly superior...I'm disappointed in this...I didn't expect the greatest beer in the world, and can definitely appreciate a decent macro from time to time....this falls short....I won't go into a lengthy detailed description...I'll sum things up quickly...Overcarbonated...too much head...soapy flavor...some metallic flavors....overall a poor tasting macro...

1.18/5  rDev -49.8%

Wow, this beer just snowballs in a bad direction right from the start. The can is even a sickly yellow, big MDG on the label, with lots of faux condensation printed onto the can. Okay appearance for a macro, a little bit darker than straw, thin mottled head of foam that conks out, and even leaves a slight bit of lacing at first. For the smell I am having trouble getting through some sort of industrial/chemical aroma, but hiding behind that is grain husk and what I think is more rice adjunct than corn. The taste is truly repulsive, my god, this is worse than that A Marca Bavaria I had tried. Sharp chemical bite at first, rancid grains to follow, with the most horrible aftertaste I can remember encountering. I would gladly accept a Crazy Ed's Chili Beer to wash this down and kill this aftertaste. I'm craving a malt liquor after this, if only as a small step up in flavour. Can't even focus on the mouthfeel due to the taste. MGD, never again! This is the dregs of the dregs for any macros I've ever consumed so far.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.