Miller Genuine Draft | Miller Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Reviews: 635 | Ratings: 2,357
2.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Decent golden appearance with a sweetish smell of hops and other grains. The taste is quite light and a bit sweet. The mouthfeel is thin and astringent and the drinkability is ok. I wish this was better, in actuality it is just pricier, repackaged, high life.

not bad for macro swill.

2.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Although the head was unimpressive, the beer did offer a fair amount of lace. There is a strange soapy yeastiness to the aroma that while not entirely totally off-putting, is not something I desire in beer.

Miller Genuine Draft is weak stuff. It is a weird beer. It stars off with a slight strange sweet flavour and ends with an equally slight dryness. The taste is balanced but only in homeopathic doses. I can't put my finger on what is happening. Too much corn, perhaps? Or did they add something else to it?

If you beers with a minimum of taste, be my guest.

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

Had it from the can and from a mug. Medium yellow, with a very small head. Smells of grain, corn, and a little malt. It is a very smooth beer, somewhat watered-down tasting. The grain flavor is very strong, almost defining this beer. Not the worst thing I have ever had, but it's lacking many elements to be a good beer.

2.8/5  rDev +18.6%

Had this in the new plastic 16 oz bottle, and it's better than coors anyhow.
straw yellow color, little lasting head.
smells like typical cheap beer
Tastes like liquid cheerios - and I enjoy cheerios. Lots of my friends drink this, and I can drink it all day without complaining. If you keep it cold, its a good beer for mindless summer activity like softball or fishing. when warm, it tends to acquire an unpleasant sour fruit flavor, and alchohol notes- it becomes "not good at all". Just keep it cold and its OK.

1.35/5  rDev -42.8%

just do not like this beer. my best mate loves this stuff and sometimes tries to subject me to it. even tho its my namesake, i politely decline.

the only reason i can see why locals rate this higher than bud or coors is coz theres some aspect of hops there. apart from that, the colors so insipid ot could pass as a dodgy urine sample, and the taste is horrid. i wouldnt drink millers if it was the last beer on earth. thats sayin something coz i wouldnt even say that about bud.

pretty much a disgrace, if i was faced with this and a CUB brew, id probably just take the carlton. this would be pretty close to the worst overall import ive ever had. why cant the U.S govt let them import some decent beer? surely thats not too much to ask.

I used to drink this on the Amtrak from Winona, MN to Minneapolis when I'd take it twice a year (before I got a car). A very average beer in all conditions, but ice-cold, fresh from Milwaukee (where the train leaves approximately four hours before reaching Winona) and with the atmosphere of the last passenger train line in America on its side, it's not half-bad. Clean taste with virtually no discernable aftertaste.

This wouldn't ever be my regular beer, but I'll gladly drink it in an environment where better beer isn't available.

2.62/5  rDev +11%

i bought this in the form of a forty ounce. I couldn't see drinking a Miller any other way. First thing is first. This is a really pretty beer. Gilden yellow color that leads to a frothy head. sounds pretty good so far. i smelled it. It smelled sour. Not too strong, but the scent was there. I tipped back my glass and got a very weak malt taste. I'm not sure, but it had seemed a little watery too me. If I wanted water I would have got a glass from the sink. Pretty average for the style. I'm sorry Miller. I know we were friends back in high school, but I grew up. I have new friends now.

1.25/5  rDev -47%

The good news is that it was free at the golf tournament I played in today. The bad news is, well, it's MGD and it was in a can.
The flavor is more sour than bitter and it should be served ice cold so as not to inflame your taste buds. I guess if your goal is to find a cheap way to drink something that is labeled as 'beer', this one would qualify

1.03/5  rDev -56.4%

Fizzy yellow color, small head. Chemical macro-beer aroma. EECH, this stuff reeks. Cornish flavor. Some malts, some hops and some flavor. Mass-market swill. Drank it cause it was free. Think I will drink a soda next time. Mouthfeel is thin and metallic. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is neutral.

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Came in a clear, pull cap bottle. Poured an extremely pale yellow colour, with next to no head. Sparce lace through the glass. Weak corn and malt smell. Not alot of hops in neither scent nor taste. Reminded me of stale cheerios. No aftertaste at all. Thin mouthfeel. Drinkable on a hot, summer day after the lawn is mowed and you expired enough sweat to fill a kiddie pool. Too be honest, it isn't that bad.

2.13/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance – Clear, yellow body with strong carbonation and the typical Puxatawny Phil up and down head.

Smell – A light grain aroma, but not a lot. The Bud was a veritable bouquet compared to this nose.

Taste – Typical grain with a good amount of sweetness. Definitely sweeter than The King. It’s not fruit, though. More like Ju-Ju Bees or Gummi-Bears (not the good Gummi-Bears from Germany; those awful ones that they sell at the movie theaters).

What the heck is going on with the finish here? I can’t describe it, but it ruined what little flavor was in the body. I don’t know what that is.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation and fairly smooth.

Drinkability – Thirty-minutes of prep time in the freezer and canned to keep out the skunk does the trick with this one. That aftertaste though probably took it down a whole point.

1.76/5  rDev -25.4%

This brew poured a large creamy head of fine white bubbles. It has a weak transparent urine yellow body. Its mild malt hop bread flavor is not bad, but is more like drinking flavored water with no bite. It does leave a slight aftertaste and is a little fizzy.

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Hey, what's this can doin' way in the back o' the fridge?! Well, no time like the present, I need a brew to swig down while I'm grilling tonight anyway.

Pours a light fizzy yellow. When Stone Brewing is hammering on fizzy yellow beers, this is what they mean. There ain't a gargoyle within miles of Miller Brewing... Clean, white, short-lived head.

Aroma has the pure unadulterated scent of corn adjunct.

Taste - lots of corn, bubbles, and an ever so slight alcohol presence combined with sweetness from the adjunct. Only the vaguest hint of hops well into the aftertaste, more of an after*thought*, I think. That's what happens when you filter the stuff 4 times.

Very thin, slightly sweet but otherwise crisp and clean mouthfeel.

Drinkability - on a hot day, all day. Keep 'em cold and they go down easy. You see, you don't have to worry about drinking them so fast that you might miss something. You have the full picture in about 6 seconds.

2.33/5  rDev -1.3%

Meduim yellow, perhaps light golden color body topped by a loose white head that recedes fairly quickly to nothing. Large bubbles of carbonation are visible on every surface. The aroma is slightly sweet, typical "beer" smell. The taste has a touch of pleasing sweetness, then mellows out to nothingness. Slight metallic aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and harsh, like strongly carbonated water. Drinkability is decent on the first can after a hot day, but subsequent glasses go much more slowly. One is really enough of this. I drank it as an alternative to Coors Light, and in the name of beer Advocacy. Next time, I'll probably have water.

1.88/5  rDev -20.3%

16 oz. can poured into a plastic cup at last nights White Sox game (White Sox 4, Red Sox 2; Pedro vs. Buehrle, Joe Crede 3 run HR in the 6th the key). Pale yellow with a very thick, sticky, foamy white head (bad pour by the beer man who was more focused on making change [he undercharged me though] than on the proper tilt of the "glass"). Very little aroma or taste present, and in both cases what is present is not very good. Thin feel in the mouth, similar to water, so at least its fairly easy drinking. Would have tasted much better had this been a very hot day, rather than a nice evening in the mid 60's. Preferable to beers like Bud, but I can't think of anytime other than at a Sox game that I would choose to drink it.

2.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

eh... one of the better offerings from any of the macros. decent head with a sick ass golden yellow color, i may be biased here as i might feel differently about the color if it was a respectable beer. smelled kinda skunky, with that typical smell of most macrobrewery beer. just smelled like cheap beer, you know what i mean. taste isn't awful, it isn't good either, the aftertaste is a little chemical like. doesn't have the seltzer water body of some other macro beers, so thats a plus. overall... eh... i'll drink it.

2.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of my favorite domestic beers available today. Tastes best in a bottle, also provides a great aftertaste!!! I am usually more of a light beer drinker myself, but when it comes to regular domestic beers, Miller Genuine Draft is definitely up high on the ladder according to me.

2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

American macros. If I have to drink one, I pick this.
In a clear bottle. That is usually a problem. But I have not had a skunky one. Pours yellow(straw). Some head for a while.

Slight malt little hops. Easy to drink. Keep it cold or it really changes for the worse. At least it is usually fresh.

I drink this if I go out to eat and can't get anything else.

1.68/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

MGD. Pours out to a pale, golden color in the glass with a big, fizzy white head. Aroma is that of slight corn and some chemical smell I can't quite put my finger on. The taste is not good. Its harsh and leaves a strange aftertaste. Burnt corn? I never understood why Miller pushed this to the forefront and discarded Miller "Red" (label) which was a much better beer.

2.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Pale gold in color with a fizzy white head and some trailing lace. The aroma is reminiscent of old rice water, corncob and hops. The light sweet malt is bland and near flavorless. The light/medium lightly citrus and metallic and hops is the “star” of this brew. It can’t truly be a draft in the can, because it’s pasteurized! Odd slightly astringent flavor is detected in the back of the throat. In support of this beer, it’s not totally disgusting.

2.28/5  rDev -3.4%

It's clear yellow, actually slightly darker than many other American style lagers. The smell is grainy and just a bit grassy with little detectable hop aroma. The taste is also grainy with adjuncts not so subtly announcing their presence. That corn taste is most noticeable in the aftertaste. Although it's rather dry, I also found that it left a somewhat strange aftertaste, detracting from what might have been more drinkable beer than most of its style. It's another uninspired effort from a big one.

2.76/5  rDev +16.9%

A soft, typical american beer. it pours a simple, common lager colour, golden and yellowish. Its smell is not strong or very appealing, hinting what the taste will be like. its taste is not that bad, a soft, sweet feeling with a slight hint of bitterness at the end. Not the best of beers, but can be bought again.

1.95/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Yuck! Another American beer that tasted flat. It did pour a large head though as I will give this beer at least that much credit. It had a fruity aroma to it. It had a somewhat smooth taste. I did not notice any bitterness with this beer and no aftertaste. This beer simply has no character to it.

2.2/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a gold color with a decent white head. There is very little retention and only mild lacing. The taste is much like high life but not as full, perhaps more delicate. Taste of adjuncts and a bit of sweet overtaste. Definitely of the standard macro mode.

1.03/5  rDev -56.4%

I've spent more time in the company of this beer than I'm comfortable with, but not by drinking it, no, through serving to the customers at my bar. Happily, it's the only macro-crap I've got on tap, but it's exceedingly popular among those masses that I haven't the time or power to change their minds. In the name of research, curiosity, or maybe sadomasochism I venture forth to review a small sampling of this wretched brew.
Color: very pale yellow,nearly invisible, the very match of urine. Head: tall, fluffy, pure snow white. Aroma: zilch, zero, zip. I flared my nosrtils deep to try to detect something or anything but came up bone-dry, with maybe a touch of soap and flowers.
Mouthfeel is a rough and harsh terrain, with a grainy sweetness to be traversed in every sip. A horrid brashness exists in every attempt to gulp and it leaves a non-existent finish, as if the offending liquid wished no memory to remain of it's brief stay in the mouth. It passes through quickly, leaving not a trace, but only bad memories. The perfect beer for those who don't give a damn what goes down their gullet. No hops are felt, no malt, no body, no texture.
That's when I got it. I'd gone about it all wrong! Every time I tried to taste this sad excuse for a beer, I winced and pulled away, embittered and beated aback, every time this swill passed through my lips. When I merely gulped back and stopped thinking, however, there was no problem, no sirree, bob!
I wonder how people drink this stuff, then I realize that they've been hoodwinked! Somehow, they've been convinced that this foul concoction is actual beer and the Miller Brewing Co. is happy to provide. Lord save us all...

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.