Miller Genuine Draft - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller Genuine DraftMiller Genuine Draft

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.66% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Genuine Draft Alström Bros
Reviews: 625 | Hads: 2,296
2.13/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance – Clear, yellow body with strong carbonation and the typical Puxatawny Phil up and down head.

Smell – A light grain aroma, but not a lot. The Bud was a veritable bouquet compared to this nose.

Taste – Typical grain with a good amount of sweetness. Definitely sweeter than The King. It’s not fruit, though. More like Ju-Ju Bees or Gummi-Bears (not the good Gummi-Bears from Germany; those awful ones that they sell at the movie theaters).

What the heck is going on with the finish here? I can’t describe it, but it ruined what little flavor was in the body. I don’t know what that is.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation and fairly smooth.

Drinkability – Thirty-minutes of prep time in the freezer and canned to keep out the skunk does the trick with this one. That aftertaste though probably took it down a whole point.

1.76/5  rDev -25.4%

This brew poured a large creamy head of fine white bubbles. It has a weak transparent urine yellow body. Its mild malt hop bread flavor is not bad, but is more like drinking flavored water with no bite. It does leave a slight aftertaste and is a little fizzy.

2.75/5  rDev +16.5%

Hey, what's this can doin' way in the back o' the fridge?! Well, no time like the present, I need a brew to swig down while I'm grilling tonight anyway.

Pours a light fizzy yellow. When Stone Brewing is hammering on fizzy yellow beers, this is what they mean. There ain't a gargoyle within miles of Miller Brewing... Clean, white, short-lived head.

Aroma has the pure unadulterated scent of corn adjunct.

Taste - lots of corn, bubbles, and an ever so slight alcohol presence combined with sweetness from the adjunct. Only the vaguest hint of hops well into the aftertaste, more of an after*thought*, I think. That's what happens when you filter the stuff 4 times.

Very thin, slightly sweet but otherwise crisp and clean mouthfeel.

Drinkability - on a hot day, all day. Keep 'em cold and they go down easy. You see, you don't have to worry about drinking them so fast that you might miss something. You have the full picture in about 6 seconds.

2.33/5  rDev -1.3%

Meduim yellow, perhaps light golden color body topped by a loose white head that recedes fairly quickly to nothing. Large bubbles of carbonation are visible on every surface. The aroma is slightly sweet, typical "beer" smell. The taste has a touch of pleasing sweetness, then mellows out to nothingness. Slight metallic aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and harsh, like strongly carbonated water. Drinkability is decent on the first can after a hot day, but subsequent glasses go much more slowly. One is really enough of this. I drank it as an alternative to Coors Light, and in the name of beer Advocacy. Next time, I'll probably have water.

1.88/5  rDev -20.3%

16 oz. can poured into a plastic cup at last nights White Sox game (White Sox 4, Red Sox 2; Pedro vs. Buehrle, Joe Crede 3 run HR in the 6th the key). Pale yellow with a very thick, sticky, foamy white head (bad pour by the beer man who was more focused on making change [he undercharged me though] than on the proper tilt of the "glass"). Very little aroma or taste present, and in both cases what is present is not very good. Thin feel in the mouth, similar to water, so at least its fairly easy drinking. Would have tasted much better had this been a very hot day, rather than a nice evening in the mid 60's. Preferable to beers like Bud, but I can't think of anytime other than at a Sox game that I would choose to drink it.

2.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

eh... one of the better offerings from any of the macros. decent head with a sick ass golden yellow color, i may be biased here as i might feel differently about the color if it was a respectable beer. smelled kinda skunky, with that typical smell of most macrobrewery beer. just smelled like cheap beer, you know what i mean. taste isn't awful, it isn't good either, the aftertaste is a little chemical like. doesn't have the seltzer water body of some other macro beers, so thats a plus. overall... eh... i'll drink it.

2.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

One of my favorite domestic beers available today. Tastes best in a bottle, also provides a great aftertaste!!! I am usually more of a light beer drinker myself, but when it comes to regular domestic beers, Miller Genuine Draft is definitely up high on the ladder according to me.

2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

American macros. If I have to drink one, I pick this.
In a clear bottle. That is usually a problem. But I have not had a skunky one. Pours yellow(straw). Some head for a while.

Slight malt little hops. Easy to drink. Keep it cold or it really changes for the worse. At least it is usually fresh.

I drink this if I go out to eat and can't get anything else.

1.68/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

MGD. Pours out to a pale, golden color in the glass with a big, fizzy white head. Aroma is that of slight corn and some chemical smell I can't quite put my finger on. The taste is not good. Its harsh and leaves a strange aftertaste. Burnt corn? I never understood why Miller pushed this to the forefront and discarded Miller "Red" (label) which was a much better beer.

2.46/5  rDev +4.2%

Pale gold in color with a fizzy white head and some trailing lace. The aroma is reminiscent of old rice water, corncob and hops. The light sweet malt is bland and near flavorless. The light/medium lightly citrus and metallic and hops is the “star” of this brew. It can’t truly be a draft in the can, because it’s pasteurized! Odd slightly astringent flavor is detected in the back of the throat. In support of this beer, it’s not totally disgusting.

2.28/5  rDev -3.4%

It's clear yellow, actually slightly darker than many other American style lagers. The smell is grainy and just a bit grassy with little detectable hop aroma. The taste is also grainy with adjuncts not so subtly announcing their presence. That corn taste is most noticeable in the aftertaste. Although it's rather dry, I also found that it left a somewhat strange aftertaste, detracting from what might have been more drinkable beer than most of its style. It's another uninspired effort from a big one.

2.76/5  rDev +16.9%

A soft, typical american beer. it pours a simple, common lager colour, golden and yellowish. Its smell is not strong or very appealing, hinting what the taste will be like. its taste is not that bad, a soft, sweet feeling with a slight hint of bitterness at the end. Not the best of beers, but can be bought again.

1.95/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Yuck! Another American beer that tasted flat. It did pour a large head though as I will give this beer at least that much credit. It had a fruity aroma to it. It had a somewhat smooth taste. I did not notice any bitterness with this beer and no aftertaste. This beer simply has no character to it.

2.2/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a gold color with a decent white head. There is very little retention and only mild lacing. The taste is much like high life but not as full, perhaps more delicate. Taste of adjuncts and a bit of sweet overtaste. Definitely of the standard macro mode.

1.03/5  rDev -56.4%

I've spent more time in the company of this beer than I'm comfortable with, but not by drinking it, no, through serving to the customers at my bar. Happily, it's the only macro-crap I've got on tap, but it's exceedingly popular among those masses that I haven't the time or power to change their minds. In the name of research, curiosity, or maybe sadomasochism I venture forth to review a small sampling of this wretched brew.
Color: very pale yellow,nearly invisible, the very match of urine. Head: tall, fluffy, pure snow white. Aroma: zilch, zero, zip. I flared my nosrtils deep to try to detect something or anything but came up bone-dry, with maybe a touch of soap and flowers.
Mouthfeel is a rough and harsh terrain, with a grainy sweetness to be traversed in every sip. A horrid brashness exists in every attempt to gulp and it leaves a non-existent finish, as if the offending liquid wished no memory to remain of it's brief stay in the mouth. It passes through quickly, leaving not a trace, but only bad memories. The perfect beer for those who don't give a damn what goes down their gullet. No hops are felt, no malt, no body, no texture.
That's when I got it. I'd gone about it all wrong! Every time I tried to taste this sad excuse for a beer, I winced and pulled away, embittered and beated aback, every time this swill passed through my lips. When I merely gulped back and stopped thinking, however, there was no problem, no sirree, bob!
I wonder how people drink this stuff, then I realize that they've been hoodwinked! Somehow, they've been convinced that this foul concoction is actual beer and the Miller Brewing Co. is happy to provide. Lord save us all...

2.13/5  rDev -9.7%

I got stuck at a banquet with MGD being the only beer available. So I might as well review it. This is a beer that was clearly designed to be inoffensive and smooth-drinking to the palates of unsophisticated beer drinkers. But even by those standards it misses the mark.

The golden body and slight white head looks like a standard American lager, with not much else going on, and the head rapidly disappears.

The aroma is all downhill, slight grainy-malty sweetness with no hop aroma whatsoever.

The taste in smooth and inoffensive, exactly as it was designed to be. A lingering slight malty sweetness, with grainy flavors, and a very minimal and faded hop bite in the finish. Better than a "lite" beer, but that is the best you can say about MGD.

2.63/5  rDev +11.4%

I had this one on tap at the Chicago Stadium.

Beer is a golden yellow. The head is large but quickly vanishes. Barely any lacing.

Smell is strangely sweet with some sulphur under tones.

Taste was about what I expected. Grain and some malt gave this some sweetness. Could have used more hops to punch up the flavor. Bland macro stuff here folks.

I guess some people could drink a lot of this. If I'm going to have macros in the Midwest, I could do better with an Old Style, Point or Lienies.

2.1/5  rDev -11%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

MGD, she's definitely looking exactly like a nice full glass of piss. This is definitely a fizzy white beer, and I am not going to be like Stone and say it's for wussies. It's just for people who don't know what good beer is. Some mild sweetness of corn and rice grain origin. Flavor is well, ok a little on the sweet side, but definitely drinkable and for the price I guess you could justify buying it, but why try when there are so many more beers out there deserving the purchase.

2.55/5  rDev +8.1%

I bought a case of pony bottles when a couple friends who were ladies were coming over. They thought the ponies were 'cute', needless to say I was left with left overs and I will not waste beer, except in extreme cases (Schaeffer's Im looking at you).

Color is a see through yellow golden hued glass. Head was white and is now gone, 30 seconds after a pour. No lace at all left...hmm do I have to clean this glass now? j/k Scent is grany and musty malts. Flavor is smooth and does have any real characteristics. It just has a smooth bland flavor, but ironically has a relatively (keep in mind relative) heavy body considering its competition. Ive seen people and I have drank many myself in my early drinking years...hey I turned out alright, Im sure anyone else you throws down a 12 pack of these will as well.

Best of the Big 3 (with exception to blue moon and killians of course)

1.31/5  rDev -44.5%

I found this in the back of the fridge..my wife's best friend left it yesterday after she visited with us. 12 oz bottle.
Appearance is very bland indeed..bright yellow urine appearance small head.
This beer smells really bad..its hard to describe..its "terrible..maybe its skunked?
Taste is very dry..nothing special
feels prertty bad in the mouth and its not very drinkable..and to think Miller put this AHEAD of their much better product, High Life..strange world we live in!

4.03/5  rDev +70.8%

I must start this review by saying I usually don't drink American Lagers but did so since I had one left over from a Superbowl party. In reviewing the BJCP guidelines I was surprised to find out this beer is brewed quite well to style.

The beer is quite clear, pale straw, and on initial pouring had a fair head with did not persist.

I detected no hop or malt aroma but a little DMS probably from the corn or rice. Nor did I detect any green apple smell.

I was struck by the DMS taste as well as the dry sting on the tongue. I could not really taste either the hops or the malt so I don't know if they were well balanced or non existant.

It was very light on body and was quite carbonated. As I said before I got the distinct tongue sting.

For an American Lager, it was very good. It fit the style well. If I was at a restaurant and they only had ice tea and MGD, I probably would take the tea.

2.79/5  rDev +18.2%

Review: Clear bottle just asks for skunkiness. Color is light, straw, gold with good head at first but soon disappears. Has little to no aroma, perhaps a bit of maltiness. Taste has moderate muted maltiness. More body than most macro beers. No flavoring hop taste.

Personal Notes: My father drank this. It sems that he picked the better macros. This was better than I thought and although it has adjuncts, I don't believe it's packed full of them like others. The malt and body were a pleasant surprise but...still needs work.

1.94/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a clear light golden color with a decent head. The head fades pretty fast but does leave a decent lace. Slightly metallic on the nose, musty as well. Watered down taste with no real malt or hop character. A very slight bitterness, but it's not hoppy at all. Thin mouthfeel, not very carbonated either. It is drinkable, but so is water.

2.41/5  rDev +2.1%

Light overall aroma, somewhat sweet and sour. Mostly malt, with virtually no hops. Color was light gold and clear. Medium head. Mostly a sour and bitter taste, malt based with hops for dryness. Full mouthfeel from carbaonation, otherwise thin. Basic macro brew. I liked it even less than I thought I would.

3.2/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One of the better ones from this huge macro-brewer. But still not that great. It pours a nice straw color that has little head that fades but remains present throughout. It has grainy smell to it and a taste that is not much more, maybe a little bit of corn. The mouthfeel is moderately smooth but does have a fair amount of carbonation. The drinkability is barely decent, but if prepared properly this brew could be a good one to drink throughout the night. I personally will probably never recommend it to anyone unless they are desperate for something cheap but fairly decent.

Miller Genuine Draft from Miller Brewing Co.