Miller High Life Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High Life LightMiller High Life Light

to view more.
Ratings: 663 | Reviews: 205
Reviews by Nerudamann:
3.12/5  rDev +41.2%

Look - Very light straw color, almost clear. Good inch or so of foam that dissipates somewhat quickly. Good carbonation.

Smell - To be honest, the smell is more complex than many of the light lagers like these that I've tried. Although it still has a watered down type of smell, you can still tell that some hops are there.

Taste - Less hoppy than the smell. Taste is more like most light lagers that I've tried. Mostly watery, no much taste or complexity. Doesn't taste bad at least. Not very strong on the palate.

Mouthfeel - watery in texture.

Drinkability - It would be very easy to drink several of these due to their lightness in texture/filling. Although, not a complex beer at all.

4.08/5  rDev +84.6%

What do you look for in an american macro lager. You look for something that's crisp, refreshing, smooth, and mildly bitter. Check check check check. This beer is what one would look for in a light lager. Has a faint smell, but at least i smell something. I can't smell anything in a lot of light lagers. Great head retention and a nice pale yellow. Taste is remarkably smooth. Mouthfeel is amazing just so well carbonated its crazy. I could pound these all night.
So what if it's not some bitter harsh beer that you have to acquire a taste for over time. This beer is what it is. It wasn't made to be anything else. It was made to have low calories and still be refreshing with not too much of a watered down taste. That's exactly what it is. Don't let your arrogance get in the way of having a beer you can just pound down and be refreshed by.

Good job Miller High Life Light

3.13/5  rDev +41.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This beer is my go to summer beer when I am not drinking craft.

It blows bud, miller, and pabst out of the water. I know that's not a ringing endorsement but, it needs to be noted.

This is a solid tasting and enjoyable beer. I prefer mine on the beach or in front of the grill.

Grab a 30 pack cans, put your snooty nose away and enjoy a few beers your dad had and wonder why this has not been in your rotation before.

2.53/5  rDev +14.5%

Coming out of a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass

A - Well, it's a typical adjunct, with that regular ol' straw color

S - Not much going on, a faint malty sweetness with a touch o' corn

T - Hell, for an American adjunct light, this aint too bad. Not much taste, again, a corny -malty sweetness is the overriding flavor. You cant expect a whole lot from any of these light beers.

M - Once again, pretty weak ( especially after sampling a Chimay White beforehand )

O - Is there REALLY any point in reviewing a beer like this ? Well, I guess there is. We all know just about what to expect with this beer. It really comes down to " How does it compare to other American adjunct lights ?."...Well, for me personally, I'd take it over Miller Lite, Bud Light, and certainly Coors Light...

Give it a shot...If you gotta' go light...

3.03/5  rDev +37.1%

Look, it's a cheap beer and nothing is going to change that. As cheap beers go, though, it's one of my favorites. I have two types of beer that I keep in stock: Everyday beer and weekend beer. The everyday beer is one that I drink Monday through Thursday nights when doing work in the evening, yard work, or simply relaxing, and Miller High Life Light is that beer. (Miller Light - ugh. I call it Vanilla Miller - no taste at all.)

I've tried so many varieties of cheap beer, from Steel Reserve (which I think should be banned if only because it's the worst beer I've ever tasted) to PBR to Bud Light to Rolling Rock to Natty Light and so on. I'd prefer "whole" beer (vs. light), but when beer is one of your favorite things in the world, and you don't always exercise or eat like you should, you have to make a few compromises to keep things in check ... like your weight. When it comes down to cheap beer, though, what it really comes down to is drinking what agrees with your taste buds. It doesn't have to be the best, simply pleasing.

This is not a review to defend it or say it's one everyone should try, only to say it suits me. Sure, there are at least three dozen beers I like much, much better, but my budget and my waistline tell me, "Oh, hell no." So, is it a great beer? Not to me. Is it a good beer? I say yes, it is, and it's fine for everyday consumption. Am I going to examine its color, head, nose, etc.? No and, besides, you already have an opinion.

If you haven't tried it and are looking for an everyday beer, pick up a six and try it. Having a good-sized party? It and Miller High Life (for your light-beer-adverse guests) are great choices and few people - if any - are going to turn them down.

3.3/5  rDev +49.3%

Appearance: (From can poured into a pint glass): Golden with moderate carbonation bubbles, white head.

Smell: Grainy, Malty

Taste: People may disagree with me, but I have to say that out of all of the cheap priced beers, Miller High Life Light is my favorite. I will go even further than that and say that I prefer this over Coors Light, and I like it as much as Bud Light. There's just a smooth taste here that doesn't leave me with a bitter aftertaste in my mouth like so many other cheap light beers. A fairly tasty beer with perfect grain and malt mixtures; crispy finish. I guess what I appreciate the most is that this beer is definitely no skunk like so many other cheap beers.

NOTE: for those who slagged Miller High Life Light in the review section, here's a trick: Try a can or bottle of this after it has been in a cooler full of ice cubes for a while until the cans/bottles are ice cold. Even better, pour into a frosty mug that's been in the freezer.

Mouthfeel: Mild and bubbly; the "Champagne of Beers" designation on the side may be overdoing things just a tad (that is on the non-lights as well, although truthfully there are a lot of better beers than this one, albeit much higher priced), but really the analogy is accurate in terms of mouthfeel because it is a pleasant swig.

Overall: Hey, everyone has their opinions; but for my budget being what it is; and my propensity to gain weight if I'm not careful (among regular beers, without worries to price or calorie content, Miller High Life/Miller High Life Light would rank very far down my list), Miller High Life Light cannot be beat. Easily a 3.25 overall, maybe even higher.

4.2/5  rDev +90%

In the cheap beer for summer time chugging category, this is a sure thing. It goes down so smooth, it's scary.

There are no "off" flavors. It's one of the few cheap beers that doesn't give you a gag reflex.

Regular Miller High Life is good too, but the Miller High Life Light is even better for thirst quenching.

I hear that Miller puts something in the beer to keep it from "skunking" up. Still, I have had some in the clear bottles that have slight skunk. So I always go for the cans and pour in a glass.

This is the only cheap light beer worth drinking.

2.8/5  rDev +26.7%

Appearance - This is a pretty light straw in color with a bright white head that showed surprising retention. This looks better than the non-light version.

Smell - There's a pleasant light grain aroma that again seems more intense than the regular MHL.

Taste - The grain came through pretty well at the tongue but with a slight stale aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - This light-bodied low-cal cervesa has some nice carbonation.

Drinkability - This was refreshing and one of the better light beers that I've had.

1.35/5  rDev -38.9%

High Life Original is my go to macro beer...why this travesty exists is beyond me. Pours a watery yellow with minimal head and not much character. Smells of pure grain and astringency. Flavor is really non existent with an off putting malt flavor and skunkiness making up the majority of the profile. Mouthfeel is very thin and the carbonation makes it seem even thinner. My least favorite of all light beers.

2.31/5  rDev +4.5%

I really don't enjoy this beer but it can be a necessary evil while in a social atmosphere. It's a nice beer if you're at a friends party or out at a local bar with the guys. However, it is by no means a sipping beer. I like it better than bud light. Needless to say, it's one of the better macro beers out there.

3.1/5  rDev +40.3%

Just an average light beer here. Not atrocious, yet nothing grand. I would have to class it well above bud light. At 4.5 it's slightly higher alcohol than most light beers, but isnt noticably harsh. Very light pale taste, bland almost lifeless smell.

2.66/5  rDev +20.4%

At this point, I've come to a good, general conclusion about light beer: It doesn't matter who makes it, it doesn't matter how much it costs, if you buy a light beer, you're in for a less than flavorful experience.

That being said, Miller High Life Light (the High Life brand being the constant target for beer snobs everywhere, including myself) isn't all that terrible. It isn't all that terrible for a light beer anyways. I've been on a quest of late to find a light beer I actually like, and so far, HLL is as good as any.

The color is pale, but there's more there than some of the others I've tried of late (Beck's, Green Light, etc.). Head is initially plentiful, but quickly disappears into a very thin foam. Crisp, clean and easy to drink, what beer taste that is there is minimal, but it's better than a Michelob Ultra or Rolling Rock Green Light, a decent bit of malt with slightly corn-y taste for good measure. Mouthfeel isn't bad, and I find the carbonation level quite satisfactory (taking another swallow now). Nope, not bad at all... It also goes quite well with food, and goes down easily (very slight bitterness).

I picked this up for $5.69 for a 12 at my local Publix. If I want a good beer for a good price, I'll got pick up a 12 of Red Stripe, Dos Equis or New Castle at my local Total Wine ($8.19, $8.79 & $10 respectively), but if I only want to go a couple of miles up the road and have $5 and some change on me, the High Life Light will more than do. Frankly, I can detect little difference between this and the non-Light High Life. Looking at both, side-by-side, the color is nearly the same (a pale amber), and the taste of the regular high-life is only a bit more malty (head stays a little longer too).

Why waste money on light beer? This is as cheap as anything else out there, and it's a whole helluva lot better than, oh, Southpaw. Tastes more like beer than a Beck's Light too (just finished a 12 of that off yesterday).

1.25/5  rDev -43.4%

Comes off super light, like someone spilled cheap yellow beer into water. No head. No lace. Aroma was metallic earthy. Off putting.

Taste, not much there, carbonation, water and aluminum, have to wonder what this tastes like out of the can. Hops = nonexistant. Any flavor notes are all a turn off. Even regular high life seems miles superior to this. The only saving grace is that the actual flavor is so minimal, the negative aspects are at least diluted with lots of water.

1.78/5  rDev -19.5%

Appears...after pouring from a 24oz can into my 1/2 liter mug the pale golden body flourishes to arise with large bubbled thick bright white head textured cloudily with fluff, dwindling rather quickly and leaving behind scant lacing. Aroma has a light cooked vegetable sweetness with grainy offness and sadly no real hop note to be found like other mass produced American Light Lagers. Flavors, more cooked veggies corn and rice with a pretty rough grainy offness mild sweetness and minimal bittering from hop flavor. Mouthfeel thin watery texture with high un-natural carbonation please steer away from this brew, regular High Life is much better in terms of style. Drinkability, yes you can drink alot of it but don't do it to yourself.

2.39/5  rDev +8.1%

I try to avoid BMC in general, especially lights, but sometimes you just want to be sociable...

Coming at this without bias, it's the only macro light I've ever seen keep a head as far as I can recall. Sure, the color's not exactly pleasant (though it's not super pale...just reminiscent of urine),but I was shocked to see quite a bit of lacing in my friend's glass. None of the others were quite the same, but they all started with a two-finger white head and left lacing behind. Is it purely bias that causes most BAs to give this a poor grade for appearance? I don't know, but every bottle poured into a glass that I saw was pretty much the same.
Now we come to the macro light commonalities. The nose is clean but generic and light, though there's a light tartness in this one not found in some others. Very pale malts and little hops presence to speak of don't really do much for the light grains aroma.
The taste is the same, with a slightly tart sourness over grains with a very pale malt and only the slightest touch of hops in the finish.
The body,of course, is light, but there's a crisp bite. It's not very smooth and generally pretty bland.
While it's not especially good, i would pick this over almost any light adjunct. It is a light lager, after all. Really, though, it's better than any BMC light I can think of.

1.72/5  rDev -22.2%

Can poured into pint glass

Appearance: Clear-straw colored liquid with no lacing. Very sad looking.

Smell: Light malt scent... almost non-existant.

Taste: Sort of "zings" on the mouth. Not sure where that zing effect comes from, but it doesn't enhance the flavor. There is a light presence of malt and something resembling hops. Way too much carbonation.

Drinkability: I only drink good beer and that does not include this brew.

2.16/5  rDev -2.3%

THe prototypical pale straw color, glinting, perhaps, a bit more golden than most light beers. A fizzy white head dies to a skim with haste, but leaves some scattered lace.
The nose is nearly vacant, and what appears is corn-based cereals mushiness.
Corn is front and center taste wise. No surprise, as regular High Life is pretty corny. Some traces of husky grain. It's then washed out with a seltzer water sense of briskness and hollow bitterness. The vaporous, dry grass/husk hop note on the close is somewhere between invisible and illusory.
Rampantly fizzy, scraping carbonation. Again, this is like (light-)beer-flavored sparkling water. The body is thin and reedy, and structureless, even in regard to the style, and lacks the crispy dryness to make it brainlessly thirst-slaking. Is so gaseous and unrewarding that quickly becomes a chore to consume.
I'm a closet fan of its big brother, mostly due to nostalgia, and choose it when pickings are slim or massive consumption is crucial. The light version lacks any hint of charm. If forced to drink a light beer, this wouldn't be it.

2.46/5  rDev +11.3%

This is what my sister brought for Christmas Eve. I drank it out of the bottle because with that much family in the house a glass is hard to come by.

Through the clear glass of the bottle this looked like your typical light lager; gold with a lot of carbonation bubbles. The smell was sweet and grainy. The taste was really very faint, but it was also sweet, grainy, and had just a hint of grassy hops. This is pretty heavily carbonated and ultra-light.

The carbonation takes away from the overall drinkability. Honestly, this wasn't offensive in any way, but it lacked substance in every way.

2.15/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Looks like pale yellow soda water. Highly carbonated like regular High Life.

Smell: Fairly weak and watery. Give of a corn-like odor.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is kind of bitter and watery. Stronger than Keystone or Natty, which isn't necessarily good...

Drinkability: Since it's basically soda water...harsh soda water, it can be kind of hard to drink this and take it seriously as beer.

Overall: Ultimately, this stuff is an upgrade over Keystone and Natty and fits into the category of Busch Light.

2.98/5  rDev +34.8%

Love the packaging! Really nice. Of course I've always liked the packaging for the regualr High Life. Anyway, it pours the expected crystal-clear straw-gold body beneath a short head of bright-white foam. The retention and lacing are average. The nose is clean, and limited to some mild malt with an edge of hops. I'd say that it's a "generic" beer aroma, but it's actually better than that. The flavor is, again, clean, and it expresses the same malt and hops that the aroma does without any change. The fact that you can clearly taste the malt and then the hops is nice though, all too often in light beers they meld into one. Well balanced. I'm not sure you can ask too much more of an American light lager. Better than Miller Lite in my opinion.

2.38/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not very good. Not very good at all. If you follow my career here at BeerAdvocate, I started as a Freshmen in college. Recently I've purchased my own business, and became relatively wealthy. If you were to have asked me two years ago would I like this beer, I would've said, "it'd be great for beer pong or flipcup." My horizons have expanded, and I do not recommend this for anything but that. There is very little taste, the only thing that is good about this beer is that it comes in a 30 pack for about 12 bucks, and for cheap college students, you can't beat that...unless of course your drink your own vomit. Which I might just add, has a very similiar taste.

2.41/5  rDev +9%

High life light is not as good as straight high life. It is a typical light lager american style beer. The color is yellow/gold clear with big carbonation and head to start and then fades to nothing. The smell and taste are common to theis style....grain/barley/wheat and some hops. The mouthfeel is what it is....beer that has a lighter abv and taste. Overall its great for hot days.

1.28/5  rDev -42.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very clear light yellow color. Fizzy white head struggled to hang around, but ultimately failed.

S: Dry, crisp scent of pale malt and corn. Also present is something quite unpleasant that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Perhaps the smell brought out a lot of repressed memories from my college days, but it wasn't good.

T: Very shallow taste. I picked up some harsh graininess and perhaps a smattering of hop flavor, but I really struggled to taste anything.

M: Very thin with a lot of carbonation. The beer was there for a second or two, and then it was washed away. It's almost like it doesn't want me to know it was there.

D: I suppose it goes down easy enough, and one could drink this all night, provided you can stand the taste...

...Unfortunately, this is not one that I enjoyed. The tiny smidgen of smell and taste present are not very pleasant. This beer borders on foul, but the word that consistently comes to mind is "shallow." Not quite at the bottom of my list, but pretty damn close.

2.8/5  rDev +26.7%

Opened this up after cleaning the apartment on a hot day, and for the lawnmower style, it did the job. It was inoffensive, kind of reminded me of beer, and quenched my thirst. The aroma was a little grainy, and adjunct filled. Drank cold, it tasted of very pale malts, but without any nasty fusel alcohol flavors. I wouldn't buy this, but I wouldn't refuse a free can on a sweaty day.

3.21/5  rDev +45.2%

What we have here is an inexpensive American light beer.

I thought I would give High Life Light a try because I really enjoyed the regular High Life.

This is just a typical light beer. Weak, watery and not much taste. Nothing bad about it, but nothing to get excited about either.

When poured into a pint glass, it formed a thin head that stayed around a while. It has a faint, sweet smell.

Not much taste, very watery. Slight taste of malt and hops.

This beer goes down smooth and easy. I could drink a lot of these.

Actually, this would be a great beer to have when watching a game on TV and you need something to wash down the junk food.

This would be a great summer time beer too.
Very crisp and refreshing.
Even non beer drinkers will like this.

Not a bad choice, if you want an inexpensive, very drinkable light beer.

to view more.
Miller High Life Light from Miller Brewing Co.