Miller High Life Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High Life LightMiller High Life Light

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2001)
Reviews by RushLimbmalt:
2.88/5  rDev +30.3%

I used to drink this beer on a daily basis. I have fond memories, but not of it's world class taste :) It pours the standard light golden color and has a decent white head and a ton of carbonation. It smells sweet and corny, but not too overpowering like some macros. The flavor, well what little there is to be had, is clean, with a touch of corn. No hops, faint malt and nothing offensive. A good cheap beer that goes down easy. All of that said, it will be a long while before I ever buy it again and I thank my little sister for giving me this beer.

RushLimbmalt, Mar 08, 2005
3.14/5  rDev +42.1%

This beer is my go to summer beer when I am not drinking craft.

It blows bud, miller, and pabst out of the water. I know that's not a ringing endorsement but, it needs to be noted.

This is a solid tasting and enjoyable beer. I prefer mine on the beach or in front of the grill.

Grab a 30 pack cans, put your snooty nose away and enjoy a few beers your dad had and wonder why this has not been in your rotation before.

Tank880, Jun 19, 2014
3.33/5  rDev +50.7%

Appearance: (From can poured into a pint glass): Golden with moderate carbonation bubbles, white head.

Smell: Grainy, Malty

Taste: People may disagree with me, but I have to say that out of all of the cheap priced beers, Miller High Life Light is my favorite. I will go even further than that and say that I prefer this over Coors Light, and I like it as much as Bud Light. There's just a smooth taste here that doesn't leave me with a bitter aftertaste in my mouth like so many other cheap light beers. A fairly tasty beer with perfect grain and malt mixtures; crispy finish. I guess what I appreciate the most is that this beer is definitely no skunk like so many other cheap beers.

NOTE: for those who slagged Miller High Life Light in the review section, here's a trick: Try a can or bottle of this after it has been in a cooler full of ice cubes for a while until the cans/bottles are ice cold. Even better, pour into a frosty mug that's been in the freezer.

Mouthfeel: Mild and bubbly; the "Champagne of Beers" designation on the side may be overdoing things just a tad (that is on the non-lights as well, although truthfully there are a lot of better beers than this one, albeit much higher priced), but really the analogy is accurate in terms of mouthfeel because it is a pleasant swig.

Overall: Hey, everyone has their opinions; but for my budget being what it is; and my propensity to gain weight if I'm not careful (among regular beers, without worries to price or calorie content, Miller High Life/Miller High Life Light would rank very far down my list), Miller High Life Light cannot be beat. Easily a 3.25 overall, maybe even higher.

KSGearhead, Jun 07, 2014
2.56/5  rDev +15.8%

Gowcheco, Aug 29, 2014
2.78/5  rDev +25.8%

Appearance - This is a pretty light straw in color with a bright white head that showed surprising retention. This looks better than the non-light version.

Smell - There's a pleasant light grain aroma that again seems more intense than the regular MHL.

Taste - The grain came through pretty well at the tongue but with a slight stale aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - This light-bodied low-cal cervesa has some nice carbonation.

Drinkability - This was refreshing and one of the better light beers that I've had.

RoyalT, Feb 08, 2010
2.25/5  rDev +1.8%

tbryan5, Jan 11, 2013
1.38/5  rDev -37.6%

High Life Original is my go to macro beer...why this travesty exists is beyond me. Pours a watery yellow with minimal head and not much character. Smells of pure grain and astringency. Flavor is really non existent with an off putting malt flavor and skunkiness making up the majority of the profile. Mouthfeel is very thin and the carbonation makes it seem even thinner. My least favorite of all light beers.

Dmann, Aug 27, 2011
2.3/5  rDev +4.1%

I really don't enjoy this beer but it can be a necessary evil while in a social atmosphere. It's a nice beer if you're at a friends party or out at a local bar with the guys. However, it is by no means a sipping beer. I like it better than bud light. Needless to say, it's one of the better macro beers out there.

newcastleme, Jul 20, 2010

Carissa, Jun 13, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +69.7%

BK2084, Aug 25, 2012
3.15/5  rDev +42.5%

Just an average light beer here. Not atrocious, yet nothing grand. I would have to class it well above bud light. At 4.5 it's slightly higher alcohol than most light beers, but isnt noticably harsh. Very light pale taste, bland almost lifeless smell.

twi1609372, Aug 17, 2005

NilocRellim, Sep 17, 2012

wattoclone, Sep 12, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +13.1%

JDVance742, Nov 08, 2012
2.68/5  rDev +21.3%

At this point, I've come to a good, general conclusion about light beer: It doesn't matter who makes it, it doesn't matter how much it costs, if you buy a light beer, you're in for a less than flavorful experience.

That being said, Miller High Life Light (the High Life brand being the constant target for beer snobs everywhere, including myself) isn't all that terrible. It isn't all that terrible for a light beer anyways. I've been on a quest of late to find a light beer I actually like, and so far, HLL is as good as any.

The color is pale, but there's more there than some of the others I've tried of late (Beck's, Green Light, etc.). Head is initially plentiful, but quickly disappears into a very thin foam. Crisp, clean and easy to drink, what beer taste that is there is minimal, but it's better than a Michelob Ultra or Rolling Rock Green Light, a decent bit of malt with slightly corn-y taste for good measure. Mouthfeel isn't bad, and I find the carbonation level quite satisfactory (taking another swallow now). Nope, not bad at all... It also goes quite well with food, and goes down easily (very slight bitterness).

I picked this up for $5.69 for a 12 at my local Publix. If I want a good beer for a good price, I'll got pick up a 12 of Red Stripe, Dos Equis or New Castle at my local Total Wine ($8.19, $8.79 & $10 respectively), but if I only want to go a couple of miles up the road and have $5 and some change on me, the High Life Light will more than do. Frankly, I can detect little difference between this and the non-Light High Life. Looking at both, side-by-side, the color is nearly the same (a pale amber), and the taste of the regular high-life is only a bit more malty (head stays a little longer too).

Why waste money on light beer? This is as cheap as anything else out there, and it's a whole helluva lot better than, oh, Southpaw. Tastes more like beer than a Beck's Light too (just finished a 12 of that off yesterday).

Karyyk, Jan 15, 2005

Cynic-ale, Aug 12, 2013
2.5/5  rDev +13.1%

SinutabRamirez, Jun 09, 2012

dmk91, Dec 31, 2012
1.27/5  rDev -42.5%

Comes off super light, like someone spilled cheap yellow beer into water. No head. No lace. Aroma was metallic earthy. Off putting.

Taste, not much there, carbonation, water and aluminum, have to wonder what this tastes like out of the can. Hops = nonexistant. Any flavor notes are all a turn off. Even regular high life seems miles superior to this. The only saving grace is that the actual flavor is so minimal, the negative aspects are at least diluted with lots of water.

Beerandraiderfan, Mar 30, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -20.8%

Appears...after pouring from a 24oz can into my 1/2 liter mug the pale golden body flourishes to arise with large bubbled thick bright white head textured cloudily with fluff, dwindling rather quickly and leaving behind scant lacing. Aroma has a light cooked vegetable sweetness with grainy offness and sadly no real hop note to be found like other mass produced American Light Lagers. Flavors, more cooked veggies corn and rice with a pretty rough grainy offness mild sweetness and minimal bittering from hop flavor. Mouthfeel thin watery texture with high un-natural carbonation please steer away from this brew, regular High Life is much better in terms of style. Drinkability, yes you can drink alot of it but don't do it to yourself.

WVbeergeek, Feb 08, 2007

valkyre65, Dec 11, 2011

IchLiebeBierZu, Sep 22, 2013

cmwilliq, Jan 23, 2014

TimMack, Mar 02, 2012

LXIXME, Apr 30, 2014
Miller High Life Light from Miller Brewing Co.