Miller High Life Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller High Life LightMiller High Life Light

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2001

2.43/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

A-Bright straw yellow and crystal clear.
pure white foamy head with slight lacing.

S-Hint of malt and slightly skunky.

T-Touch of malt,touch of corn. Finishes dry with a hint of hops and lemon. Alcohol has nowhere to hide.

M-Highly carbonated,watery and alcoholic.

D-I've had tonic water that had more going on than this insipid brew. I'ts filtered and pasteurized beyond recognition as beer.

1.72/5  rDev -22.5%

Can poured into pint glass

Appearance: Clear-straw colored liquid with no lacing. Very sad looking.

Smell: Light malt scent... almost non-existant.

Taste: Sort of "zings" on the mouth. Not sure where that zing effect comes from, but it doesn't enhance the flavor. There is a light presence of malt and something resembling hops. Way too much carbonation.

Drinkability: I only drink good beer and that does not include this brew.

3.15/5  rDev +41.9%

Basically an everyday summer beer for me like PBR is.

It pours a decent inch head that quickly settles down to a wisp or nothing, depending on the pour.

Smell and taste of adjuncts, but for some reason I don't mind it every now and then.

A good working in the yard on the car, cutting grass or hanging by the pool beer.

2.96/5  rDev +33.3%

Screw off cap and drank straight from the bottle. Clear yellow appearance. Lighter in color than the High Life original. Not much aroma to speak of. Very fizzy mouthfeel and light body. Very drinkable when you want a thirst quenching lawnmower beer. Me, I enjoy this at my desk after a hard day at work. No "off" flavors noticeable. At $5.99 a twelve pack in glass bottles, it's a steal.

1.11/5  rDev -50%

Reviewed from notes.

Straw yellow with a white head which vanishes quickly. I wish I could describe the aroma, but there is not much. Just a whiff of corn.

This taste has some corn, a bit of skunk, and also a bit of a metallic taste. Light bodied, thin and watery, and too much carbonation. This is just nasty. Thankfully I did not have to pay for this, it was offered to me at a get together.

2.51/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass. Best before Jan 17 11 printed on bottom of can.

Appearance: Pours a clear pale straw yellow with a 3 finger foamy snow white head. Surprisingly good lacing.

Smell: Mildly sweet corn and adjuncts. Not a lot going on here.

Taste: Very light flavor typical of adjunct lagers. Mostly light grains with a faint hint of hops in the background. Almost no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Very watery consistency. Goes down very smooth, which is to be expected.

Drinkability: Very good drinkability. You could drink a bunch of these without much difficulty.

Overall: Nothing to write home about here. I like the Champagne of Beers but it's lighter counterpart is lacking. It's still better than Bud or Miller light though.

2.74/5  rDev +23.4%

From a can to a glass mug...
Smells like sour bread, it's a little sweet and metallic.
Tastes watery and sweet, hints of bread and corn.
It's pretty light, not much carbonation.
Drinks good as long as it's cold, it's pretty watery. Really it's not bad, I was pretty surprised.

2.74/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from a clear 12 oz. bottle. Has a very pale yellow color with a small head. Smell is mild, some notes of corn. Taste is also very mild, some hints of malts and corn, not much going on here. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall there is nothing special about this beer.

3.18/5  rDev +43.2%

A: Pours straw yellow with a nice fluffy white head that actually laces quite well.

S: Adjuncts with a hint of sweetness.

T: Watery of course, with a little sweetness that was present in the smell creeping through at the end. Not bad.

M: Very carbonated and watery.

D: My go to cheap/party beer. Could drink these all night long.

My favorite cheap beer. Light but with a slight complexity of flavor.

3.12/5  rDev +40.5%

Look - Very light straw color, almost clear. Good inch or so of foam that dissipates somewhat quickly. Good carbonation.

Smell - To be honest, the smell is more complex than many of the light lagers like these that I've tried. Although it still has a watered down type of smell, you can still tell that some hops are there.

Taste - Less hoppy than the smell. Taste is more like most light lagers that I've tried. Mostly watery, no much taste or complexity. Doesn't taste bad at least. Not very strong on the palate.

Mouthfeel - watery in texture.

Drinkability - It would be very easy to drink several of these due to their lightness in texture/filling. Although, not a complex beer at all.

1.57/5  rDev -29.3%

They actually made a light version of one of the lightest beers I had ever had, now this I just had to try. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, I finished the night off with this one on 8/16/2010.

The pour was your classic light golden hay color with lots of carbonation and a decent head of white that had it stayed around longer then five seconds might have actually worked a little bit. Aroma is non existent, all I smell was air, maybe light corn in there and a touch of grain, but seriously this had to be the lightest example of anything I had come across. Skunked flavor that really just had nothing going for it other then the fact I could notice it. Clean, with ample carbonation it was gone from the palate as soon as it entered. Not something I could really recommend to anyone, anytime soon.

Overall I will have to give it a pass, not worth the time on this one, things can get too light people.

3.18/5  rDev +43.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color, short dense white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of adjuncts, light malts and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with an adjunct and light malt sweetness with flavors of grain and corn. The hops presence is very mild as you would expect from this type of beer but creates a decent balance for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, light body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty even though it's not very flavorful, goes down quite easily since there isn't much to it and likewise it's not filling at all, very mild kick, long ago this was my inexpensive "go-to beer" and I still think it's one of the better fizzy yellow beers out there.

2.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Had this one over at the in-laws.

A - Pale golden hue with a 1/2 inch head. Thin lacing throughout.

S - Corn dominates, slightly sweet.

T - I was not expecting much taste being a light beer, but surprisingly there is a slightly sweet and smooth taste upfront. Miller High Life's tagline is the Champagne of Beers and I would say this is a decent description.

M - Decent carbonation

D - Towards the end of the beer, all the flavor seemed to disappear leaving a watery beer. Not a good way to finish

2.31/5  rDev +4.1%

I really don't enjoy this beer but it can be a necessary evil while in a social atmosphere. It's a nice beer if you're at a friends party or out at a local bar with the guys. However, it is by no means a sipping beer. I like it better than bud light. Needless to say, it's one of the better macro beers out there.

2.39/5  rDev +7.7%

I try to avoid BMC in general, especially lights, but sometimes you just want to be sociable...

Coming at this without bias, it's the only macro light I've ever seen keep a head as far as I can recall. Sure, the color's not exactly pleasant (though it's not super pale...just reminiscent of urine),but I was shocked to see quite a bit of lacing in my friend's glass. None of the others were quite the same, but they all started with a two-finger white head and left lacing behind. Is it purely bias that causes most BAs to give this a poor grade for appearance? I don't know, but every bottle poured into a glass that I saw was pretty much the same.
Now we come to the macro light commonalities. The nose is clean but generic and light, though there's a light tartness in this one not found in some others. Very pale malts and little hops presence to speak of don't really do much for the light grains aroma.
The taste is the same, with a slightly tart sourness over grains with a very pale malt and only the slightest touch of hops in the finish.
The body,of course, is light, but there's a crisp bite. It's not very smooth and generally pretty bland.
While it's not especially good, i would pick this over almost any light adjunct. It is a light lager, after all. Really, though, it's better than any BMC light I can think of.

3.18/5  rDev +43.2%

Drank from a clear bottle. Bought in cost effective 12 pack.

A: Straw yellow, like a hangover piss. Pretty average for bad beers though.

S: Not really anything, a little skunky hops?

T: Bottom of the barrel, nothing harsh, nothing stand offish, I enjoyed it, quenchs your thirst without being heavy in the least.

M: A little slimey, carbonation tinge.

D: C'mon, it's cheap, middle of the road taste, and made for mass and rapid consumption, I would buy again, when the shakes strike.

1.4/5  rDev -36.9%

Can't explain this atrocity. Just God awful and had to pour it out. It had the taste of heartburn going down and littered my throat with the feeling you get after drinking a lemony drink, like you have to spit or, at worst, throw up. Got some from a relative and tried to force three down. Couldn't do it and poured the last one down the drain. Funny thing is, I have one more in the second fridge and no one who comes over will drink it!

2.76/5  rDev +24.3%

Ah, Miller High Life Light. MHLL delivers drinkability at a cost...read on, fellow BA'ers.

A: light, straw pale yellow. Not impressive, but par for the style.

S: there's a little bit of aroma, some mild, pukey smelling hops and nearly undetectable amount of malt....nothing stands out.

T: barely anything. small amount of hop bitters.

M: sprightly due to carbonation and very prickly. Finish is medium-dry. Not as satisfying as a Kolsch but similar in sprightliness.

D: Poundable levels of drinkablility. This is the one beer that a John Deere riding lawnmower and 15 acres cannot be without. A 12-18 session is definitely do-able if sufficiently motivated.

What this lacks in depth, flavor and character it makes up for in poundability. This is the one single beer that lacks anything except the pound-ability to keep up with the joneses: that is, if Jones is a total alky and nothing but sits in his garage, door open, and drinks beer all day.

2.15/5  rDev -3.2%

Appearance: Looks like pale yellow soda water. Highly carbonated like regular High Life.

Smell: Fairly weak and watery. Give of a corn-like odor.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste is kind of bitter and watery. Stronger than Keystone or Natty, which isn't necessarily good...

Drinkability: Since it's basically soda water...harsh soda water, it can be kind of hard to drink this and take it seriously as beer.

Overall: Ultimately, this stuff is an upgrade over Keystone and Natty and fits into the category of Busch Light.

2.45/5  rDev +10.4%

Well, I told my friend to pick up a 30 of Miller High Life for a birthday party, not Light. She picked up Light instead I don't know why. I actually enjoy regular high life while this leaves me pissed off. Here we go.

Appearance - Pours a kind of really yellow hot piss looking color. Leaves a good amount of foam on the top which is not a plus at all.

Smell - Smells like a frat party the day after with stale wiffs of the worst beer you could find.

Taste - Frankly this is not a bad beer if you are playing beer pong or some other childish drinking game, however, all fun aside it tastes like piss mixed with Keystone light.

Mouthfeel - Here is where it's not bad. Feels alright in your mouth. Carbonation is pretty high but what else should expect from the "Champagne of Beers"

Drinkability - If you are looking for a beer to chug this is a nice way to go. But if you are like me and like to enjoy your brews then dump it out.

4.2/5  rDev +89.2%

In the cheap beer for summer time chugging category, this is a sure thing. It goes down so smooth, it's scary.

There are no "off" flavors. It's one of the few cheap beers that doesn't give you a gag reflex.

Regular Miller High Life is good too, but the Miller High Life Light is even better for thirst quenching.

I hear that Miller puts something in the beer to keep it from "skunking" up. Still, I have had some in the clear bottles that have slight skunk. So I always go for the cans and pour in a glass.

This is the only cheap light beer worth drinking.

I think High Life original is possibly my favorite American Lager. Thought this would just be a watered-down version of that.
It is not. Man I don't want to admit it, but I like this as much as my beloved High Life.
Or do I?
I cannot make up my mind. I do not want to like this as well, but...
Light beer has never been my favorite style, but this may be my favorite of them all.
@$.50 a can this is a bargain. And I like finding good bargains.

3.41/5  rDev +53.6%

A very nicely done cheap light beer. Picked up a 12 pack for $5.99 that was slightly past expiration. Great price, refreshing light beer that goes down easy. It even has more delicious alcohol than most light beers. It's mostly tasteless, but not offensive like Bud Light. Tastes mostly of corn with a bit of hops and maIts. It's only cheap light beer, but I like it.

2.06/5  rDev -7.2%

I wish that I had a CAN of Miller High Life so that I CAN do a side-by-side. What I have found through the CANQuest is that so many of these "light" versions are watery knock-offs of their "leaded" counterparts. Here goes!

My pour produced a rocky, fluffy two fingers' worth of bone-white head with low retention. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled heavily of cereal adjuncts. Oof. Mouthfeel was thin, sort of watery with a light lager sweetness accompanied by the all-too-familiar taste of cereal on the tongue. Finish was mild, almost flavorless. I CANnot get behind this one.

2.8/5  rDev +26.1%

Appearance - This is a pretty light straw in color with a bright white head that showed surprising retention. This looks better than the non-light version.

Smell - There's a pleasant light grain aroma that again seems more intense than the regular MHL.

Taste - The grain came through pretty well at the tongue but with a slight stale aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - This light-bodied low-cal cervesa has some nice carbonation.

Drinkability - This was refreshing and one of the better light beers that I've had.

Miller High Life Light from Miller Brewing Co.