2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Milwaukee's Best Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best LightMilwaukee's Best Light

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Ratings: 463 | Reviews: 145 | Show All Ratings:
bear2255

3.44/5  rDev +90.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Mild lager. Decent taste. Has its pros and cons. Overall, not a terrible beer for the money. Got a 12 pack for $6. BA is terrible though. Definitely would want more than a 4.20% All these reviews about it being watery, I can understand seeing as how it's got a "Light" flavor, but it is tolerable.

03-19-2014 19:59:06 | More by bear2255
KingdomBobcat

Vermont

1.21/5  rDev -33.1%

Tastes like water, if that's your kind of thing, go for some MBL. Haven't found many beers this cheap before. Wanted to check the BA rating to see how poorly it ranked and wasn't taken by surprise. Found this for $14 for a 30 rack. Bad, cheap, American Lager.
Probably not the best thing that comes out of Milwaukee, but who's to say?

06-28-2013 16:37:11 | More by KingdomBobcat
MaltyBob

1.85/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I bought this as an experiment. "How bad can it be?" I asked myself...

The answer: "Pretty bad".

Pretty foul overall. Cheap, but give me Yuengling Premium Light any day...

When a beer isn't even good for simmering brats....

06-13-2013 02:38:42 | More by MaltyBob
TasteThePainbow88

3.4/5  rDev +87.8%

I'm pleasantly surprised!

When I picked up this cheap, bottom-line, economy beer, I was expecting little more than yellow soda water with a buzz. I poured a can into a pint glass, and to my surprise I found myself breathing in some honest-to-goodness grassy, citrussy hops. This hop character extends to the taste, combined with a noticeable taste of carbonation, finishing with the very faintest of grain.

All-in-all, this cheap light beer has some character! Not outstanding by any means, but given the price I'd say this is one the greatest values the beer aisle has to offer.

Citrussy, watery, refreshing, and an absolute bargain. This may be my new go-to summertime brew.

04-24-2013 16:04:42 | More by TasteThePainbow88
buschbeer

2.15/5  rDev +18.8%

12 ounce can
Served in a pilener glass

A - It is about as light as the color of urine after consuming 6+ of these beers. It is very light in color. It is barely yellow. Two inches of white head split shortly after the pour.

S - It has a sweet grass scent.

T - It tastes like urine after consuming 6+ of these beers. No, I would imagine urine has more flavor. When drinking it is almost devoid of flavor. Of course, I served it ice cold as recommended. I get a weird stale aftertaste.

M - It is watery. Although I feel like I have a coating on my tongue that is providing that horrible aftertaste.

O - It's a shitty light beer that has been in my fridge for three months. It was time to make room for better product. I will drink the other 7 after I am drunk sometime and need a water to sober up.

03-17-2013 01:05:56 | More by buschbeer
SometimesIfart

2.15/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A - Very clear yellow with a huge adjunct style white head. Left no lacing.

S - Skunk, sour malt, A bit of creamed corn and rice soon follows.

T - Slight creamed corn is virtually the whole flavor. At least it tastes like something.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, Probably the best out of the " Milwaukee " series. I'd have at a party.

02-04-2013 21:27:34 | More by SometimesIfart
DHmtber687

4.78/5  rDev +164.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I recently enjoyed copious amounts of Milwaukee's Best Light with an expiration date of Feb-04-13.

Poured into a pilsner pint glass, nice foamy head.

Smells of rich hops and mahogany, and tastes as smooth as its name. For the price it's the most flavorful light beer a sensible man can buy.

I would much rather choose a Milwaukee's Best Light out of my cooler than a Bud Light.

If you're looking for a cheap beer which and you will be consuming large amounts of said beer, this is the one for you.

02-02-2013 02:18:56 | More by DHmtber687
TMoney2591

2.1/5  rDev +16%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Spelunky. Spelunky. Spelunky. Spelunky. God, am I garbage here... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale sallow topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises light flowers, mild grass, and a decent amount of soap. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some decidedly funky wheat. The end result is an odd melange of metallic, sour, and bitter. Suffice it to say, it doesn't taste good at all. The body is pretty light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a depressing offering, one I don't hope to tangle with again any time soon.

12-27-2012 18:11:10 | More by TMoney2591
DavoleBomb

1.7/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pils glass from a 12 oz. can. The official brew of my dad and thus the official brew of me back in my thieving highschool days.

2.5 A: Clear yellow color. This is actually a good bit darker than most of its bretheren. Two fingers of frothy white head that didn't last very long, but did leave a few whisps of lacing.

1.5 S: There's no getting around the fact that this doesn't smell good. Big rice component and without much in the way of malt. Hops aren't even worth mentioning, but I just did, so oh well.

1.5 T: It's definitely as bland as the nose, but it doesn't taste as ricey as you would expect. That said, there's still no sign of malt or hops. A sorry excuse for beer.

3.0 M: Light body (obviously), but it's not too bad overall. It's quite creamy for how light it is. The carbonation is high, but not as obnoxiously high as some.

1.5 D: It is what it is. I'm just glad I'm not in highschool anymore.

09-26-2012 20:33:46 | More by DavoleBomb
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.6/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not exactly pouring out like Dark Lord, this one is a flimsy water that looks like someone spilled a little bit of a yellow beer into it.

Aroma, lacks in every department, but hey, there's nothing offputting about it, there's just no substance to the aroma. If you cooked canned corn in the can, this is kind of what the aroma leads you to think.

Mild sweetness, no hop taste, not really any bitterness, the massive water addition really smoothes the beer out, but even with that, there is still a weird metallic note to it.
Man back in the day you could score these so cheap, like $29.99 a keg at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee. Mouthfeel is just some sweetness, metallic corn insides. Probably ok for beer pong if you're young and dumb. I've had worse beers, but not too many. This beers main sin is that it lacks any substance. I'd recommend only if you need a palate cleanser. Even on a hot day, there's plenty of flavorful yet light options out there.

07-11-2012 17:15:46 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Bierwolf

Missouri

1.73/5  rDev -4.4%

12 ounce can poured into a pilsener. "Best by" date of 09/10-2012.

Appearance: This was a surprise. Poured a pale yellow with about 2 fingers of fizzy white foam that actually rose above the top of the glass however retention time was short. Not crystal but very clear with some carbonation bubbles.

Smell: First thing to my nose was a slight malt aroma. This was soon overcome by a pungent grainy smell.

Taste: Very little.What is there is bland and grainy. No hop bitterness to speak of. No malt.

Mouth Feel: Thin and watery. Very little carbonation bite. Not a dry finish but not sweet either.

Overall: It is a light beer and not one of the better ones out there. The price is good about $7 for a 12 pack so if you want something to quench your thirst with a lititle bit of a beer bite this will do it.

07-11-2012 16:51:21 | More by Bierwolf
brewcore

South Carolina

2.93/5  rDev +61.9%

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: Clear gold in color. Darker than most light beers. Yields a two finger white head that quickly fades into a thin sheet on the top of the beer. A few carbonation bubbles rise up the glass. Surprising amount of lacing for a light beer.

S: Typical adjuncts of rice and corn. A little bit of alcohol. Not getting as much funk as other light beers.

T: Moderate sweetness. Just a little bit of hop bitterness. Faint sourness. Quite a bit of flavor going on for a light beer.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation. Not too light at all.

O: Peasantly surprised by this beer. I have been on the hunt for a go to light beer and this one is not disappointing. Solid taste and mouthfeel for a light beer. If you are looking for a light beer that does not taste too light for an American adjunct light lager give this one a try. Above average for the style.

03-07-2012 23:32:09 | More by brewcore
Marti403

1.38/5  rDev -23.8%

Not much of an appearance with about a 1" head that quickly disappears. Smells like watered down...water beer. Taste like a normal american pilsner which lacks much flavor or imagination. Really crisp and tastes pretty much how it smells and looks. Let's face it, this is a drinking game beer so leave it for the tailgates or beer pong. Unless of course it's free, then the "free beer" rule applies. Not super offensive but not very good. I could live the rest of my days without ever drinking this again. "Free Beer" rule does not apply here.

02-15-2012 21:08:30 | More by Marti403
AstroMike

1.65/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

This generic American beer by Miller is terrible!! And this is coming from a Natty Light fan! I decided to give this beer a try as it's in the same price range as Natural Light... and it SUCKED!!! I got a 24 pack box of cans as I didn't have a whole lot of money but wanted a couple days worth of beer, big mistake!! This beer is SWILL! It tastes like beer flavored water! Even for a cheap beer I was expecting better. The buzz even after 4-5 beers was really weak! I will never again buy this brand of beer EVER!

02-03-2012 06:15:21 | More by AstroMike
shealoftus14

1.85/5  rDev +2.2%

Was probably the beer of choice when I was in college just because it is very cheap. It is that cheap for a reason because it is not very good. Poor taste and potent aftertaste but you can drink a lot of them, making it very popular for the college atmosphere. Therefore, goes down very easily but too watered down and has not much of a taste to it. Not too pure and not that smooth but you can drink a lot of them.

12-12-2011 17:06:47 | More by shealoftus14
tdm168

1.63/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a pale golden color with loose, dish soap-like bubbly head that has little retention. The nose is metallic, grainy, and sweet. The taste is sweet and apple-like, grainy, and simple. The mouthfeel is heavily carbonated, dry, and light.

The metallic and apple-like sweetness of this gave it no chance. The flavor profile was so mild as to be almost nonexistent. I'm not a fan no matter how cheap it is.

12-01-2011 10:54:21 | More by tdm168
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev +100.6%

Milwaukee’s Best Light has a very thick, white head and a clear, pale straw appearance, with a good amount of bubbles streaming up. Some lacing is left down the glass, also. The aroma is a surprising floral hop smell, with clean water as well. Taste is sweet, light, watery, grainy, and smooth. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Milwaukee’s Best Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and mild. Overall, this beer stands toe to toe with some of the larger players in the category. For a light beer, it’s a good value.

RJT

10-11-2011 20:28:24 | More by RonaldTheriot
HockeytownBrew

2.6/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: The typical clear yellow straw color you're familiar with when you drink a light lager. Light head that fades fast and next to no lacing left behind.

S: Corn, ever so faint grains - typical.

T: Corn and cereal grains, ever so slight hops and malt. Next to nothing going on here.

M: Very light, moderate carbonation.

D: Excellent drinkability.

Pretty much what I expected from this one.

09-03-2011 04:56:25 | More by HockeytownBrew
barrenbane

2.23/5  rDev +23.2%

A: nearly translucent. Look like watered-down urine with added carbonation. This is an American light lager.

S: hints of corn and cereal adjuncts. It smells like all other light beers.

T: very light and crisp. Nothing special here. It tastes identical to "premium" light BMC beers.

M: almost like carbonated water. I'd rather drink Perrier.

If you enjoy BMC light beers, save your money and buy this -- the price is quite lower and the quality is identical to other light "premium" brands. I'd drink this on a hot day, but wouldn't pay for it.

08-05-2011 00:26:39 | More by barrenbane
BEERME528

Missouri

1.65/5  rDev -8.8%

This is truly a horrific beer. I'd like to know what Milwaukee's Worst is if this is the Best. Tough to swallow without gagging a little bit. I suppose if it were the end of the world and this is all I could find, I would scarf it down quickly. Can only be used as a party/get drunk quick beer. No way can you sip and enjoy something like this.

07-18-2011 19:03:13 | More by BEERME528
AlCaponeJunior

2.03/5  rDev +12.2%

Wrote notes for a review at a BBQ where they had this on ice.

Light yellow and super fizzy, the head goes away quick and leaves little lacing.

Smells lightly of grains and perhaps corn.

It's hardly got any taste, what there is consists of grains and adjuncts.

Light and well carbonated, goes down easy I'll give it that.

For the price I suppose it serves a purpose, but it's certainly not a craft beer, nor would it have much appeal to those with a refined beer palate. A frathouse special to be sure.

06-15-2011 08:14:55 | More by AlCaponeJunior
Stinkypuss

2.1/5  rDev +16%

Pours a light clear yellow, fizzy head dies down to nothing. Very light pale grain/malt flavor, just a flash of ghost hop bitterness. When ice cold, it goes down fairly fast though the flavor is almost nonexistant. Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp, soda water like. Overall, good beer if you don't like beer.

04-25-2011 05:57:04 | More by Stinkypuss
drabmuh

Maryland

2.2/5  rDev +21.5%

"You aren't going to drink that" my wife said to me when I returned from the kitchen with my father-in-law with a can labeled "Milwaukee's Best Light Beer". "I don't want to be a snob and I've never had it, maybe it will be awesome, it is labeled 'best', how bad could it be?" Here I go.

Beer is yellow, light and clear. Thin head, low retention, no lacing, highly carbonated. Looks like a beer that a three year old might draw if asked to draw a beer.

Aroma is slightly grainy and mildly sweet. Eh, very weak aroma. Mildly vegetal.

The appearance and aroma are kind of like a beer's handshake, this beer presents itself to be a weak beer from the get go, limp wristed weak grip, probably could beat the shit out of this kid on the playground. Here goes the actual beer, taste and mouthfeel. Maybe it will make up ground here.

How disappointing...I held out hope that you would pull through in the end but didn't. Beer is super thin, watery, has a late bitterness, mild pilsen sweetness up front, midpalate vegetalness, at least there isn't an aftertaste. I don't think I'll ever bother having this again but I imagine this is exactly what they want, flavored water. I don't really like it overall but at least I drank one. Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

04-25-2011 00:25:51 | More by drabmuh
forgetfu

Colorado

1.8/5  rDev -0.6%

Wow...this was my favorite beer in college. It made me fearless. It made me strong. It was awesome! I loved it so much, that i decided to carefully cellar some '94 cans in our fraternity house basement.

For comparison purposes, I opened this with a fresh bottle to make sure that this is a fair review.

I'm not sure what I was thinking. Clearly I knew very little about beer in 1994. This is swill. It's horrible.

a: The '94 can is fuzzy...i'm going to assume that's from being cellared in my sock drawer and hope it's nothing else. That aside, both pours look very nice... clear light amber color with active carbonation.
s: Neither pour have much aroma, though if i were to describe it, wet cardboard soaked in stale beer comes to mind.
t: The flavor is no better. The '94 is not palatable...I'm having my doubts about if it's really fuzzy sock lint. The '11 is drinkable, but there's nothing happening there. It's like foul water...i'd rather have the real thing. I have no reason to want to continue to drink this bottle.
m: It's very watery thin.. I guess i'm not really surprised. There are chunks of something in the '94 that give it a bit of texture.

Ya... it hurts to think that i did this to my body back in the 90's. Heck, it hurts to think that i did this to my body last night. Never again.

04-04-2011 17:38:47 | More by forgetfu
tykees88

Indiana

This is a total miss on anything. I don't know how honestly even the Slam it down beer guy can want to slam this down all the time.

It is piss gold. Tastes like corn with crap. Carbonated like a soda and overall just should never touch my tongue again.

03-19-2011 17:21:38 | More by tykees88
Milwaukee's Best Light from Miller Brewing Co.