Milwaukee's Best Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best LightMilwaukee's Best Light

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Light Alström Bros
Ratings: 621 | Reviews: 163
1.63/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance - Minimal head, looks a little like apple juice
Smel/Taste – Smells stale. Nothing there. Bitter/sour fruit? Grain. Water.
Mouthfeel – Doesn’t even have the nice masking big carbonation standard to the style.
Drinkability – Not pleasant. So thin…
Notes – Make to be drunk quickly and from the can while not filling you up. It works, I used to drink a lot but its just not worth it. There are better light lagers, even the cheap stuff. Good only for drinking games.

3.5/5  rDev +95.5%

What can I say, for the price, $8/case this is not a bad beer. It tastes best in the summertime after working in the yard but overall it's not as bad as some of the other reviews. The color is a light gold with a mild smell and not much of a head when poured into a glass. I prefer the darker micro brews but when drinking the lighter lower cal beers the biggest difference between the hometown Bud Light and this beer is price, about half as much as Bud Light.

1.88/5  rDev +5%

I was known in the past, on occasion, to purchase Cheap Beer for a couple (very few) reasons. My choice on these occasions is MBL (The Beast Light). Here were my reasons:

o Less calories
o Indistinguishable by me from any other Cheap Beer
o Pretty can
o Cheapest

My roommate has an extra can he's willingly donating for this review. Thanks Paul! So generous!

Appearance: Faint straw-like hues crowned with a cap of starch white foam. Plenty of bubbles! Enough sightseeing, let's try have a sniff.

Aroma: And what a sniff it was. Corny, to say the least. There's also some grains to be found in the nose, but it mostly reminds me of the cereal aisle at the grocery store. Not much in the way of hops here at all.

Taste: Weak. However, its not very offensive, and easily forgettable. Clean and easy drinking, if that's what you go for.

Mouthfeel: n/a

Drinkability: Extremely light on the palate, so I could see someone going through several of these with ease. I find most of these macro lagers to be pretty indistinguishable. I'm glad I found a world of far better beers to enjoy. So long, Beast!

3.2/5  rDev +78.8%

Can provided amid a bunch of stuff given to me for volunteering at 2005 GABF. Uhm, thanks guys, I really appreciate the opportunity. Stamp on the bottom reads 01026 E11862. Pours a two finger white and soda-like head over a clear pale straw orange liquid. The head settles stickily and is fed by a few streamers. Smells noticably malty sweet and with floral hop aroma. It's weak, but much stronger than I was expecting. The sweet is fairly non-descript. Corn and wet cardboard. The hops are light, like a Hallertauer. Tastes watery with a very mild sweet, pizza crust (imagine a really thin and cardboardy crust that's got no toppings), and a noticable hop flavor in the tongue. The hops come on stronger in the back of the throat during the aftertaste. Carbonation is only md-heavy, but still contributes a bit of sting to the flavor. Especially in the aftertaste, where it comes across as iron. thin body but with some dextrinous cling. Simple and much better than I was anticipating. I'd never buy this beer for my fridge, but I wouldn't turn one down. Judged to style, not my preferences.

1.8/5  rDev +0.6%

If they called this "Alcoholic tonic water" I'd buy it. Since they call it "Beer", I won't. This has to be the king of Crush-the-can-on-your-forehead beers. It's basically a watery version of every American Macro ever made. Has a bit of residual sweetness, but of the cereal grain variety. It's faint flavors allow off flavors to shine: oxidized, metalic, papery, powdery... Other than the mild buzz, there is no pleasure in drinking this.

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a crystal clear, extra pale straw. Three finger head that winds down in about two minutes. Good lacing and retention for a light lager. Grainy alcohol and tonic water smell. This beer tastes like club soda and rubbing alcohol, with weak pale malt in the background. Mild astringent aftertaste, but finishes mostly clean. No detectable hop taste or aroma. The lack of flavor leaves nothing to mask the alcohol, so it is made highly carbonated and light in body in an attempt to smoothen the mouthfeel. But flavor should never take a backseat to drinkability, even in a lighter style,

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

I had this beer at a party on campus at Ohio University. Go Bobcats!!!
Anyways, this beer is not very good. I got it out of the keg. It's a really cheap beer that us college students can afford. Nonetheless, it poured a little darker than most light macro lagers. The smell was the same though. A little skunky, a little bit of that typical macro lager smell. The taste was pretty bad. I couldn't taste any hops or any barley. It just had that typical macro lager taste. I'll drink more of these in the future at parties I'm sure of, but I would not recommend buying this beer at a bar or at the store to sit down and enjoy.

1.58/5  rDev -11.7%

Okay, this one never should have been consumed, especially in large quantities. After enjoying some nice IPAs and pilsners, the guys got together to start playing beer pong with the Beast. Man, this may one the worst tasting beers at the time. All corn and grains with the tastes and smell, very overwhelming. Do not mix this after just finishing an IPA, it's like toothpaste and orange juice mix. I'm not dogging this because it's so cheap, it's just terrible. Drink Natty Light instead for the price.

2.07/5  rDev +15.6%

This is a beer for college students or raging alcholics that cannot differentiate between Beast Light and Iodine. Probably one of the worst, yet cheapest beers out there. The only good use this beer can be put to is drinking games like beer pong or flipcup, and to be honest even that is an overstatement. It has a very stale taste. I really do not even know how else to describe it other then awful.

Appearence: 12 oz. can, looks like a clear yellowish piss.

Taste: Taste reminds me of old stale beer I had lying in my fridge for months, even years. Hops and Barley are the first scents. Most likely beer of college students trying to get a cheap buzz.

Mouthfeel: Hoppy and rough, but a bit fuzzy.

Drinkability: If you gots a steel gully, than this is for you. Other than that, stick to something on the lines of rubbing alcohol.

Overall: Would not recommand to anyone, not even college kids. Back in the day if someone made a brew this bad we beat them to death with their own shoes. You have to be drunk already to drink this stuff. Dull your senses before use.

2.2/5  rDev +22.9%

Now, if I must drink from the Milwaukee's Best family, this is going to be it. Pours out to a light golden color with medium carbonation and a short lived white head. Notes of corn, malt and hops are present in the aroma, but since it's a light beer, all aromas are quite light. Flavor is doable, but not by any standards great. Watery mix of corn and hops, this beer leaves quite a bit to be desired. Finished weak. No aftertaste to speak of. Worth a try, if you're daring and broke.

1.43/5  rDev -20.1%

Presentation: Grabbed this out of my alcoholic roommate's 30-pack thats sitting in the fridge. Standard 12oz. can, some stamp on the bottom, but undecipherable.

Appearance: A light urine yellow color. Completely clear with a small white head form, but with extremely poor head retention, and a tiny bit of lacing.

Smell: Some sort of nasty sour sulphury funk to it. No hops or malt. Its pretty raunchy.

Taste: Extremely thin body, very bland taste, and this nasty cloying corn sweetness that lingers. No hops or bitterness detected. Not much here.

Notes: Wow this is awful, at least it tastes than better it smells. I probably only had 1/3 of the can, and my stomach hurts.

1.95/5  rDev +8.9%

This review is part of a head-to-head, can-to-can slugfest with Bud Select. Milwaukee's Best Light is rated higher (2.59 vs. 2.26) which surprised me a little. Let's take the gloves off and see which American light lager is standing at the final bell. A KO is extremely doubtful.

Clear, pale amber; just like the Bud. This beer is a quarter shade darker, more golden amber. There's slightly more visible carbonation here as well. The head is where BS (now there's an ironic set of initials) pulls ahead. The head on the Bud is whiter, lasts longer and looks higher in quality. The MBL head is initially off-white, but looks dirty gray as it quickly falls to a barely covering film. No lace.

The noses are similar; weak, grainy and far from pleasant. Neither one seriously offends though. I have to give a slight nod to the MBL. It's more corny and slightly more sweet than the artificial smell of the Bud.

Milwaukee's Best Light wins the all-important flavor comparison. It's a little sweeter, which, strangely enough, makes lousy beer somehow more drinkable to me. It's also horribly undermalted (hey look, low carbs!) with a near complete absence of hops/bitterness.

Like the Bud, there's a short, truncated finish (which is a blessing when you think about it). The body/mouthfeel is pathetically light; similar to Bud's mouthfeel with the exception of the level of carbonation. The MBL is a little flatter which makes its mouthfeel less pleasing.

At the final bell, both beers are still standing, but are bloodied and bowed. In a hard fought contest, I have to give the edge to Milwaukee's Best Light simply because flavor trumps all else for me. MBL suffers in the appearance and mouthfeel categories, but makes up for it in the smell and taste arena. Let's face it, neither one is very drinkable and I'm glad that this thing has come to an end. Now please excuse me while I go eat something to try to make it up to my taste buds.

2.04/5  rDev +14%

Popped the can and poured into a 22 oz burgundy glass. Not the right thing for a lager, but I wanted to see if it would doll this beer up some. And it did. Clear dark straw color. White foamy head, but it didn't last long. Though there was some wet lacing, not too sticky, left on the glass. Smell is a little musty, slightly corny, maybe I have some brett residue in my nose.

Taste was slightly malty. Couldn't locate the hops. Tastes like lightly-corn-flavored soda water. Bitterness comes from the carbonation. Mouthfeel suffers greatly from this aspect.

Not much to distinguish it. Watery enough to quench a thirst. Not enough character to enhance a meal. Best left in the can and used (judiciously) when doing yard work or when that brother-in-law you hate stops by for a cold one.

2.7/5  rDev +50.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Re-rate(forgot I had rated this before).

Not as bad as I had it pegged...actually looks decent...nose is basic cooked corn and cereal grains....body is light but doesn't seem to be in teh coors light category for lightness....actually a pleasant little sweetness to the flavor....clean..easy drinking...not bad for a light beer and the price...it would be interesting to do a blind taste test with this...Lite....and MGD Lite and High Life Lite and see which comes out in front....not much difference between the four if you ask me...
----Review 5-4-02---

Went to a party tonight...this was what was served...popped about 10...if you rate this against the bottom of the barrel price beers it's above average..the best thing about it is it doesn't taste horrible (A ringing endorsement huh)..it has very little smell, body, or taste but it doesn't offend you...Like I told the wife just now..I had about 10 but don't feel affected much and would much rather have 3 good bock's instead. If I was looking for a beer that I could drink a ton of without it actually tasting bad this would be ok....A really watered down low taste beer that like I said doesn't offend, but lacks everything that is good about beer.

1.22/5  rDev -31.8%

Had this beer at my nieghbors place, and I must say it's crap. Has the smallest amount of flavor possible in a beer, and that flavor is mainly old corn. This truly is a sad excuse for a beer. No color, head, smell, or taste. The college kids can keep this one.

1.8/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

This beer holds a special place in my heart for getting me through four years of college. Unless you're throwing a huge frat party, though, there really isn't any reason to buy this.

The only thing that's actually a plus (besides the price) is the drinkability of the beer. Extreemly light and crisp.

2.52/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

BEAST LIGHT

Appearance-golden brown color, one inch head that is long gone very soon.

Smell-DNS, light grain, no hops, not much going on.

Taste-crisp, a twang as it leaves the mouth, while it was in there I detected a little bit of husky grain, not much else going on here, but wasn't entirely unpleasent.

Mouthfeel-Very odd grainy aftertaste, goes down ok but not smooth by any means.

Drinkability-at 9.99 a thirty pack you can have as many as you want, universally tolerated and respected by college kids everywhere.

Overall-Beast light manages to be leaps and bounds better than Beast, I have no explanation for that. It is not a good beer by any means but when you are low on funds this beer is suprisingly acceptable and even somewhat refreshing on a hot day. It doesn't have much flavor even compared to Bud Light, Miller Lite, or Coors Light but at least it had some as opposed to Natural Light, which was like water. You know what your in for when ya get it, enjoy.

1.1/5  rDev -38.5%

Appearance: Barely apparent yellowness.
Smell: Like a stagnant creek.
Taste: Hardly a trace of flavor. Nasty corn tones, not much else. It's repulsive.
Mouthfeel: Weak and nonexistent in the mouth.
Drinkability: Better than others in it's class because of it's complete lack of taste. A really miserable beer.

2.29/5  rDev +27.9%

Pours a very pale straw gold body beneath a full head of bright white foam that holds surprisingly well for the style and leaves some very nice, thin lace about the glass. Plumes of tiny bubbles race towards the surface indicating that it's fairly well carbonated. A generic beer aroma greets you in the nose with some mild, sweetish adjunct-laden malt, a spritz of hops, and a delicate waft of yeasty sulphur. The body is light and its fine-bubbled carbonation lends a gentle zest to the tongue. The flavor is limited, even for a light beer, but it's very well-balanced. It finishes almost without notice, leaving behind a trace amount of generic beer flavor that fades quickly. It's refreshing, but not very satisfying, and there are much better light beers available.

1.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Fizzy yellow with a big overcarbonated white head dwindles quickly leaves behind specks of lacing. Aroma: Mild sweetness predominantly corn in there with a touch of grassiness possibly hops. Taste: A bit harsh offness grainy and not appetising in anyway, mild sweetness astringent corn adjuncts and weird grassy bitterness. Mouthfeel: Light bodied meant for chugging contests. Drinkability: Yes you can drink a case if you really wanted one of the worst hangovers of your life, and besides it looks the same on the way in as does going out.

1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

Beast is a beer for frat boys and people looking to get drunk for cheap. I won't go into specifics, tastes bad, smells bad, is bad. If your looking to get drunk on a budget or need to get massive groups of people drunk though, this is definatley the go-to beer. Otherwise, steer clear of this piss.

2.22/5  rDev +24%

My uncle invited my wife and I over for a barbeque and he had 3 choices of beer, (bud, Mil Best Ice, and Mil Best Light) Since I wanted to expand my pallete of beers tasted I went for the Milwaukee's Best Light. The apperance was light straw yellow and had a little fizzle for a head but not much. The smell was of light grain and corn. The taste while very watered down, wasn't putrid or sickening, but about what I expected. Felt flat but very refreshing in the mouth, drikable on a hot day like this one, it also went good washing down a few brats.

1.33/5  rDev -25.7%

beast light from the bottle...I had this the other night at a friends house...and it was very bad! Especially compared to the Brooklyn, BCS I was drinking the rest of the night. This poured out an ugly, fizzy, clearish yellow colour with a little spritzy head. I have to give it another point on appearance, just because I actually poured it into a glass. The aromas were of stale bread, and nasty old vintage seltzer water. The taste was a bit better than the canned version of this, but it was still really nasty. This stuff has such a thin mouthfeel, it;s like drinking nothing at all...and the drinkability: non-existant.
Very bad, even for a mass produced light lager...stay way! and jeez, if you really have to drink this, at least pour it into a glass!
cheers!,
F.

1.98/5  rDev +10.6%

I have probably had 100's of cans of this stuff in my lifetime, but don't cry for me. It is yellow and plain looking, with a white head. Taste is very weak, with no flavors except for corn, skunk, and cereal. It is cheap and plentiful, and it served it's purpose.

Milwaukee's Best Light from Miller Brewing Co.