Milwaukee's Best Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best LightMilwaukee's Best Light

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Light Alström Bros
1.83/5  rDev -14.5%

Was probably the beer of choice when I was in college just because it is very cheap. It is that cheap for a reason because it is not very good. Poor taste and potent aftertaste but you can drink a lot of them, making it very popular for the college atmosphere. Therefore, goes down very easily but too watered down and has not much of a taste to it. Not too pure and not that smooth but you can drink a lot of them. (415 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a pale golden color with loose, dish soap-like bubbly head that has little retention. The nose is metallic, grainy, and sweet. The taste is sweet and apple-like, grainy, and simple. The mouthfeel is heavily carbonated, dry, and light.

The metallic and apple-like sweetness of this gave it no chance. The flavor profile was so mild as to be almost nonexistent. I'm not a fan no matter how cheap it is. (407 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +70.1%

Milwaukee’s Best Light has a very thick, white head and a clear, pale straw appearance, with a good amount of bubbles streaming up. Some lacing is left down the glass, also. The aroma is a surprising floral hop smell, with clean water as well. Taste is sweet, light, watery, grainy, and smooth. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Milwaukee’s Best Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, dry, and mild. Overall, this beer stands toe to toe with some of the larger players in the category. For a light beer, it’s a good value.

RJT (537 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: The typical clear yellow straw color you're familiar with when you drink a light lager. Light head that fades fast and next to no lacing left behind.

S: Corn, ever so faint grains - typical.

T: Corn and cereal grains, ever so slight hops and malt. Next to nothing going on here.

M: Very light, moderate carbonation.

D: Excellent drinkability.

Pretty much what I expected from this one. (434 characters)

2.2/5  rDev +2.8%

A: nearly translucent. Look like watered-down urine with added carbonation. This is an American light lager.

S: hints of corn and cereal adjuncts. It smells like all other light beers.

T: very light and crisp. Nothing special here. It tastes identical to "premium" light BMC beers.

M: almost like carbonated water. I'd rather drink Perrier.

If you enjoy BMC light beers, save your money and buy this -- the price is quite lower and the quality is identical to other light "premium" brands. I'd drink this on a hot day, but wouldn't pay for it. (547 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -22%

This is truly a horrific beer. I'd like to know what Milwaukee's Worst is if this is the Best. Tough to swallow without gagging a little bit. I suppose if it were the end of the world and this is all I could find, I would scarf it down quickly. Can only be used as a party/get drunk quick beer. No way can you sip and enjoy something like this. (344 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -5.1%

Wrote notes for a review at a BBQ where they had this on ice.

Light yellow and super fizzy, the head goes away quick and leaves little lacing.

Smells lightly of grains and perhaps corn.

It's hardly got any taste, what there is consists of grains and adjuncts.

Light and well carbonated, goes down easy I'll give it that.

For the price I suppose it serves a purpose, but it's certainly not a craft beer, nor would it have much appeal to those with a refined beer palate. A frathouse special to be sure. (507 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a light clear yellow, fizzy head dies down to nothing. Very light pale grain/malt flavor, just a flash of ghost hop bitterness. When ice cold, it goes down fairly fast though the flavor is almost nonexistant. Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp, soda water like. Overall, good beer if you don't like beer. (308 characters)

2.24/5  rDev +4.7%

"You aren't going to drink that" my wife said to me when I returned from the kitchen with my father-in-law with a can labeled "Milwaukee's Best Light Beer". "I don't want to be a snob and I've never had it, maybe it will be awesome, it is labeled 'best', how bad could it be?" Here I go.

Beer is yellow, light and clear. Thin head, low retention, no lacing, highly carbonated. Looks like a beer that a three year old might draw if asked to draw a beer.

Aroma is slightly grainy and mildly sweet. Eh, very weak aroma. Mildly vegetal.

The appearance and aroma are kind of like a beer's handshake, this beer presents itself to be a weak beer from the get go, limp wristed weak grip, probably could beat the shit out of this kid on the playground. Here goes the actual beer, taste and mouthfeel. Maybe it will make up ground here.

How disappointing...I held out hope that you would pull through in the end but didn't. Beer is super thin, watery, has a late bitterness, mild pilsen sweetness up front, midpalate vegetalness, at least there isn't an aftertaste. I don't think I'll ever bother having this again but I imagine this is exactly what they want, flavored water. I don't really like it overall but at least I drank one. Now I know and knowing is half the battle. (1,270 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -15.9%

Wow...this was my favorite beer in college. It made me fearless. It made me strong. It was awesome! I loved it so much, that i decided to carefully cellar some '94 cans in our fraternity house basement.

For comparison purposes, I opened this with a fresh bottle to make sure that this is a fair review.

I'm not sure what I was thinking. Clearly I knew very little about beer in 1994. This is swill. It's horrible.

a: The '94 can is fuzzy...i'm going to assume that's from being cellared in my sock drawer and hope it's nothing else. That aside, both pours look very nice... clear light amber color with active carbonation.
s: Neither pour have much aroma, though if i were to describe it, wet cardboard soaked in stale beer comes to mind.
t: The flavor is no better. The '94 is not palatable...I'm having my doubts about if it's really fuzzy sock lint. The '11 is drinkable, but there's nothing happening there. It's like foul water...i'd rather have the real thing. I have no reason to want to continue to drink this bottle.
m: It's very watery thin.. I guess i'm not really surprised. There are chunks of something in the '94 that give it a bit of texture.

Ya... it hurts to think that i did this to my body back in the 90's. Heck, it hurts to think that i did this to my body last night. Never again. (1,311 characters)

This is a total miss on anything. I don't know how honestly even the Slam it down beer guy can want to slam this down all the time.

It is piss gold. Tastes like corn with crap. Carbonated like a soda and overall just should never touch my tongue again. (254 characters)

Pours a light pale yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, with minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is kinda malty, grainy. The taste is slightly sweet, grainy/ricy. Light Body. Not Drinkable. Would make a thirst quencher though. (254 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Straw yellow with fizzy white head that fades fast and leaves no lace.

S- Tinge of sourness, hint of earthy hops, corn and water.

T- Boiled corn with a bitter, earthy hop touch and mentallic notes.

M- Thin, watery, and fizzy

D- Easy as water, but boring as it gets. (273 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +23.8%

Let me start by saying that it's difficult to rate a beer like this because obviously it isn't the best tasting, smelling, etc. But that's really not the point at all. This is a party beer meant to be drank from solo cups and cans. This is no Sierra Nevada Pale Ale but in my opinion when compared to keystone, coors, miller, and budlight, At $15 a 30 pack where I'm from you can't beat it for the price.

When poured into a pint glass there is an unexpectedly large head which dissipates quickly, leaving lacing more pronounced than other cheap beers.

The color is an unimpressive light yellow, there is no smell, and the taste is watery yet drinkable.

This is definately not a beer to pour into a glass, I only did it for the review. Just drink it from the can, but if I'm low on cash I prefer this to bud or coors anyday. (827 characters)

1.13/5  rDev -47.2%

Straw yellow color with a white head with poor retention and no lacing. Smells of corn, and not much of anything else. The taste grain, cooked corn, and very little malt sweetness.

Thin bodied, a lot of carbonation, has a dry finish, and does not have one impressive quality. This is swill at its worst. Avoid this beer. (321 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -41.1%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. Do they even have this on tap anywhere?

A: Light straw-colored body that is virtually indistinguishable from ginger ale. Credit where credit is due, the head is quite robust and leaves a surprising amount of lacing.

S: Typical cheap beer smell. It actually gave me chills, and not in a good way.

T: Mostly grainy. Some metallic notes. Not quite as sweet as I expected. Hops are undetectable. I was leaning toward giving it a gentleman's 2 in this category, but then I literally started retching toward the end. Given that, I couldn't give it anything but the lowest possible score.

M: Thin and watery, like a stream running through the mountains that are so often featured on the label art of beers in this category.

D: Good if you plan on throwing a party with beer pong or if you're too thirsty to care about how it tastes. Otherwise, don't bother. (890 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a nasty looking straw yellow, white head, and no lacing. Smells of grain and booze. Tastes of some sort of grain and nasty bitterness. Mouthfeel is thin and rocky and has high carbonation. Drinkability is not very good. Not a very good beer at all. Stay away from it if you can. (284 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -11.2%

I have a cold so take this for what it's worth. I'm trying to review every beer in the world that has the word "BEST" in the name. If you have an exotic one, send 'em my way people haha.

A- Sixteen ounce can pour into a pint glass. Big frothy white head because I poured it that way. Golden color. Head retention for about a minute before dying off. Tiny streams of CO2 bubbles coming off the bottom.

S- I couldn't smell much.

T- Grassy cereal grains.

M- Is "nastycrisp" a word?

D/O- This guy mysteriously ended up in the fridge one day and has been sitting there for a good 6 to 9 months. Haven't a clue where it came from. Glad it's gone now...taking up too much space. (677 characters)

2.28/5  rDev +6.5%

So he goes for another mixed sixer of the best of the worst from the grocery store this weekend. I grabbed six more "gems" and did my best to get them all down. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/22/2010.

it really does amaze me how many of these are just sitting in the singles section of my local groceries. since i started this a couple weeks ago, I have managed to tacked more then 3/4 of the list without trying, amazing.

another rather average pour with a light golden amber with tons of white foam that came up and over the tops of the glass and faded out rather quickly but kept a ton of carbonation with it throughout.

light, mild grains and a touch of corn are really the only things that i am picking up in here at all. clean, clear, and watery taste leaves nothing on the palate and not even the slightest bit of hops in here at all..

overall another that i would never go near again. (936 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A- super clear pale golden with a bit of a head to it.
S- a bit of corn, a faint hop smell.
T- cooked grain, cooked veggie.
M- Very light, finishes bone dry.
D- It's a light lager. It's better than most, but this still isn't much of anything i enjoyed. (253 characters)

2.3/5  rDev +7.5%

Milwaukee's Best Light reminds me very much of Michelob Ultra in body and texture. With a flavor palette not unlike club soda this beer isn't enjoyable to drink in a wine tasting-like setting but clearly that isn't the point here. It's pretty heavily carbonated and there isn't much flavor to speak of. The only place to drink this is at a raging party and of course it does excel at that.

So go ahead, shottie these all through the night with your friends, but don't expect an actual good beer just to drink for the sake of enjoying beer while sessioning or otherwise. This is a social beer, plain and simple and there's nothing wrong with that. (648 characters)

2.36/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearence: Pale and light. Perfectly clear with medium carbonation. Very thin head. No lacing.

Smell: Hardly even smells like anything, let alone beer!

Taste: Very light taste.

Feel: Carbonated water.

Drinkability: Nothing to stop you from drinking all you want.

For the style, this is what it should be. (311 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +32.2%

Poued from a 12 ounce can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very thin white head on a clear pale yellow body. Very average for the style.

Smell: Extremely light use of hops. Cereal grains. The smell is barely there, which is kinda the point of light beers.

Taste: What I said of the smell is also true of the taste. Sweet cereal grains, almost nonexistent hops. (361 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +24.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a small head. Smell is of corn, some malts. Taste is basically missing in action. Beer flavored water. Feels light in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall not the worst light beer I have had, but nothing special. (275 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Ah...Beast Light....

Pours a fairly generic straw yellow, but with a nice looking head. unfortunately it disappears pretty quickly, though a couple scratches of lacing are left behind.

Smell is watery grains, some weak malt, weak hops.

Taste isn't far off from the smell...not a whole lot to this guy. On the bright side, there's no offputting skunky flavor or any other big-time red flags to MBL.
Beast Ice is another story completely...we frequently use it as punishment beer if someone spills in our house.

Mouthfeel...not as terribly fizzy as I remember. that's the highlights there.

Overall, just because the smell isn't miserable, and the taste doesn't commit any crimes either, I'll bump this up a little bit on the drinkability scale. (748 characters)

Milwaukee's Best Light from Miller Brewing Co.