Milwaukee's Best Light - Miller Brewing Co.

Milwaukee's Best LightMilwaukee's Best Light

awful

poor

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Milwaukee's Best Light Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev +26.4%

2.25/5  rDev +26.4%

Picked up this 24oz can while at the bottle shop (along with a 24oz of the High Life, I felt obligated hehe).

Look: It poured a straw-yellow color with a finger thick head that cleared away quickly, leaving almost no lacing.

Smell: Not a whole lot of nose on this one, a little grain or something sweet?

Taste: Pretty watery, a steely kind of taste lingers on after it goes down.

Mouthfeel: Mildly carbonated, very light, goes down pretty easy.

Like others have said before me, this isn't a beer that was meant to be savored. It's a beer to drink to get smashed. Immediately after tasting this memories of keg parties from my college years came back...yes, it was exactly the same stuff. It's cheap, doesn't really taste great, but if someone was going to have 50+ friends and strangers in their house, would they spend major bucks for craft beer in a keg? (That would be pretty cool though)

2.24/5  rDev +25.8%

"You aren't going to drink that" my wife said to me when I returned from the kitchen with my father-in-law with a can labeled "Milwaukee's Best Light Beer". "I don't want to be a snob and I've never had it, maybe it will be awesome, it is labeled 'best', how bad could it be?" Here I go.

Beer is yellow, light and clear. Thin head, low retention, no lacing, highly carbonated. Looks like a beer that a three year old might draw if asked to draw a beer.

Aroma is slightly grainy and mildly sweet. Eh, very weak aroma. Mildly vegetal.

The appearance and aroma are kind of like a beer's handshake, this beer presents itself to be a weak beer from the get go, limp wristed weak grip, probably could beat the shit out of this kid on the playground. Here goes the actual beer, taste and mouthfeel. Maybe it will make up ground here.

How disappointing...I held out hope that you would pull through in the end but didn't. Beer is super thin, watery, has a late bitterness, mild pilsen sweetness up front, midpalate vegetalness, at least there isn't an aftertaste. I don't think I'll ever bother having this again but I imagine this is exactly what they want, flavored water. I don't really like it overall but at least I drank one. Now I know and knowing is half the battle.

2.23/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours thick, dark yellow/gold mildly carbonated into glass. Foams up a bit and quickyl disappears and a very small ring of lace remains for a few minutes. Smells cerealy, corn/corn grit taste that really clings to the back of the mouth and leaves a very gritty taste in the mouth.

Ya know overall I'd say one of the better cheap light's, I would still say suck up the extra 35 calories and go with regular Mil's Best.

2.22/5  rDev +24.7%

My uncle invited my wife and I over for a barbeque and he had 3 choices of beer, (bud, Mil Best Ice, and Mil Best Light) Since I wanted to expand my pallete of beers tasted I went for the Milwaukee's Best Light. The apperance was light straw yellow and had a little fizzle for a head but not much. The smell was of light grain and corn. The taste while very watered down, wasn't putrid or sickening, but about what I expected. Felt flat but very refreshing in the mouth, drikable on a hot day like this one, it also went good washing down a few brats.

2.21/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This beer is the light version of that tasty beer that made Milwaukee famous. What am I thinking. The beer was served cold in my trusy Arrogant Bastard Pint. Oh the humanity!...

Appearance: Its a bit ironic that the can states, "Finest quality ingredients." Somehow I am skeptical about the fineness of the ingredients. The beer pours a light beers fizzy yellow. The head was white and quickly resolves to a half way ring of foam.

Smell: The beer strikes my nose with a corn mash sort of sweetness. Not a particularly good start.

Taste: The beer leads with a sort of corn syrup sweetness. This is combined with an astringent flavor. Not good.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: Ok the mouthfeel is thin and watery. Everything that a light beer should be. Still doesnt impress me. Between a stinging feel from the carbonation and the lack of just goodness present in this beer. I got to say the drinkability is low.

Laughing as I bump a few scores allowed to warm a slight bit and the flavor did improve. The astringency was gone. Still doesnt taste good but I will bump a little. The drinkability improved when the beer was slightly warmed up.

2.2/5  rDev +23.6%

A: nearly translucent. Look like watered-down urine with added carbonation. This is an American light lager.

S: hints of corn and cereal adjuncts. It smells like all other light beers.

T: very light and crisp. Nothing special here. It tastes identical to "premium" light BMC beers.

M: almost like carbonated water. I'd rather drink Perrier.

If you enjoy BMC light beers, save your money and buy this -- the price is quite lower and the quality is identical to other light "premium" brands. I'd drink this on a hot day, but wouldn't pay for it.

2.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Now, if I must drink from the Milwaukee's Best family, this is going to be it. Pours out to a light golden color with medium carbonation and a short lived white head. Notes of corn, malt and hops are present in the aroma, but since it's a light beer, all aromas are quite light. Flavor is doable, but not by any standards great. Watery mix of corn and hops, this beer leaves quite a bit to be desired. Finished weak. No aftertaste to speak of. Worth a try, if you're daring and broke.

2.18/5  rDev +22.5%

Clear golden green yellow body that has lots of bubbles from the carbonation. Head is short and white and has faded by the end of this sentence. Stinky wheat on the nose. Very clean and crisp as it enters the mouth. Super east to drink but lacks any flavor points that make it stand out from any other bmc product. Actually stands up well to slightly more costly mainstream bmc products for the price.

2.18/5  rDev +22.5%

12 ounce can
Served in a pilener glass

A - It is about as light as the color of urine after consuming 6+ of these beers. It is very light in color. It is barely yellow. Two inches of white head split shortly after the pour.

S - It has a sweet grass scent.

T - It tastes like urine after consuming 6+ of these beers. No, I would imagine urine has more flavor. When drinking it is almost devoid of flavor. Of course, I served it ice cold as recommended. I get a weird stale aftertaste.

M - It is watery. Although I feel like I have a coating on my tongue that is providing that horrible aftertaste.

O - It's a shitty light beer that has been in my fridge for three months. It was time to make room for better product. I will drink the other 7 after I am drunk sometime and need a water to sober up.

2.17/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A - Very clear yellow with a huge adjunct style white head. Left no lacing.

S - Skunk, sour malt, A bit of creamed corn and rice soon follows.

T - Slight creamed corn is virtually the whole flavor. At least it tastes like something.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, Probably the best out of the " Milwaukee " series. I'd have at a party.

2.16/5  rDev +21.3%

Wow! What could be better than a Milwaukee's Best? How about a Milwaukee's Best with water! Rock on MBL!.

Now let's all remember what this beer is and what it is aspiring to be. That being said it's not all bad, just mostly. Color is expected, pale and yellow and fizzy....head is white and very small and poof! it's gone. Lacing is....umm there is none. Smell is horrid...vegtables and corn and, is that a hint of broccoli? eeesh. Put that all together and what do you get? Not that bad of a taste actually, all things considered of course.

This is definitely one of those beers that is best very cold and out of the can. When you pour it into a glass and release it's "bouquet" it just messes it all up.

Note to Miller: Just because it's "Brewed for a Refreshing, Smooth Taste" does not mean that it is actually refreshing and/or smooth.

2.14/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

2.13/5  rDev +19.7%

Ah...Beast Light....

Pours a fairly generic straw yellow, but with a nice looking head. unfortunately it disappears pretty quickly, though a couple scratches of lacing are left behind.

Smell is watery grains, some weak malt, weak hops.

Taste isn't far off from the smell...not a whole lot to this guy. On the bright side, there's no offputting skunky flavor or any other big-time red flags to MBL.
Beast Ice is another story completely...we frequently use it as punishment beer if someone spills in our house.

Mouthfeel...not as terribly fizzy as I remember. that's the highlights there.

Overall, just because the smell isn't miserable, and the taste doesn't commit any crimes either, I'll bump this up a little bit on the drinkability scale.

2.12/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours a light clear yellow, fizzy head dies down to nothing. Very light pale grain/malt flavor, just a flash of ghost hop bitterness. When ice cold, it goes down fairly fast though the flavor is almost nonexistant. Mouthfeel is light bodied, crisp, soda water like. Overall, good beer if you don't like beer.

2.11/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear light gold body with slowly rising bubbles. Fizzy white head, surprisingly good lacing.

Aroma: Hints of whatever adjunct is in it, then tons of metal. Most metallic smelling beer I've ever put my nose to.

Taste: The opening teases with light grains, then it jumps off the cliff into the Sea of Metallic Tasting Beer.

Mouthfeel: Watery. Dry.

Overall: A far cry from Milwaukee's Best Premium. A far cry from anything.

2.11/5  rDev +18.5%

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

Spelunky. Spelunky. Spelunky. Spelunky. God, am I garbage here... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear pale sallow topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises light flowers, mild grass, and a decent amount of soap. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some decidedly funky wheat. The end result is an odd melange of metallic, sour, and bitter. Suffice it to say, it doesn't taste good at all. The body is pretty light, with a moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a depressing offering, one I don't hope to tangle with again any time soon.

2.1/5  rDev +18%

A- Straw yellow with fizzy white head that fades fast and leaves no lace.

S- Tinge of sourness, hint of earthy hops, corn and water.

T- Boiled corn with a bitter, earthy hop touch and mentallic notes.

M- Thin, watery, and fizzy

D- Easy as water, but boring as it gets.

2.1/5  rDev +18%

Pours a crystal clear, extra pale straw. Three finger head that winds down in about two minutes. Good lacing and retention for a light lager. Grainy alcohol and tonic water smell. This beer tastes like club soda and rubbing alcohol, with weak pale malt in the background. Mild astringent aftertaste, but finishes mostly clean. No detectable hop taste or aroma. The lack of flavor leaves nothing to mask the alcohol, so it is made highly carbonated and light in body in an attempt to smoothen the mouthfeel. But flavor should never take a backseat to drinkability, even in a lighter style,

2.1/5  rDev +18%

I had this beer at a party on campus at Ohio University. Go Bobcats!!!
Anyways, this beer is not very good. I got it out of the keg. It's a really cheap beer that us college students can afford. Nonetheless, it poured a little darker than most light macro lagers. The smell was the same though. A little skunky, a little bit of that typical macro lager smell. The taste was pretty bad. I couldn't taste any hops or any barley. It just had that typical macro lager taste. I'll drink more of these in the future at parties I'm sure of, but I would not recommend buying this beer at a bar or at the store to sit down and enjoy.

2.08/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Poured a clear yellow color with a thin white head that quickly dissipated.

S- No strong scents coming through but if there is anything it would be adjunct and grain with the slightest bit of yeast and malt. No hops evident.

T- Malty adjunct flavor with grains and a slight bread taste.

M- Light (a good word for watery) and fairly smooth. No weird aftertaste (but it didn't have alot of taste to begin with).

D- It IS better than some of the other ultra cheap macros out there, but lets be serious, I wouldn't buy it again.

24oz can

Milwaukee's Best light was light golden color with good clarity. It had a bubbly white head that somehow managed to stick around a little while and left a little lacing behind. The smell was light and a little grainy. The taste was very light and with a dry, sort of grainy finish. The mouthfeel was light and watery with plenty of carbonation. Drinkabity was below average. It's just another tasteless light beer. The only thing it has going for it is the price.

2.08/5  rDev +16.9%

back in my youthful days this was the swill of choice because it was cheap and went down like silk and got us where we wanted to go. of course now, i don't drink it. but i picked up a single to review and can honestly say this one of the few lagers where the light version is much better than the "heavy" version. smells pretty disgusting (adjuncts) but the taste is pretty tame and really doesn't offend too much. pretty watered down but i'd say it's a better light beer than most others.

2.07/5  rDev +16.3%

This is a beer for college students or raging alcholics that cannot differentiate between Beast Light and Iodine. Probably one of the worst, yet cheapest beers out there. The only good use this beer can be put to is drinking games like beer pong or flipcup, and to be honest even that is an overstatement. It has a very stale taste. I really do not even know how else to describe it other then awful.

Milwaukee's Best Light from Miller Brewing Co.