Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager - Miller Brewing Co.

Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate LagerFrederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.50% ABV

Gold Medal winner entered as "Temptation Bock" at the 2005 GABF in the Herb and Spice Beer category.

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 09-18-2006)
Reviews by BlackAngus:
4.35/5  rDev +32.6%

A - Reddish-brown color, almost no head.

S - Holy crap, this smells insanely good. I didn't want to like this, but if the smell indicates anything, this will be a buy-again. Smells like caramel and dark chocolate and maybe a hint of coffee.

T - Flavor isn't quite as strong as the aroma, but really tastes like chocolate. Dark chocolate, sweet, caramel, malty. I'm very impressed.

M - Medium body, lightly carbed. Clean.

D - I don't know what to say...I was prepared to hate this. But this is a very fine chocolate-flavored beer. It just goes to show that the big boys *CAN* produce decent beer if they choose to.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz bottle found hiding in my cellar. Let's see how it does. Pours into my glass a dark cola brown with hints of garnet poking through. A fizzy off white head appears and sticks around for awhile. Aromas begin with chocolate upfront, but it's a bit of an odd aroma akin to unsweetened cocoa powder. Crisp wheat grain in the background and that's about it. Aroma seems a bit artificial to me.

First sip brings a crisp wheat grain malt upfront met by a Tootsie Roll-esque chocolate flavor that again reminds me of cocoa powder. It flows down with some sweetness and a touch of caramel. Finishes with only a kiss of bitterness and a lingering chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with fast flowing carbonation that helps to add some creaminess to the body. This one goes down easy enough. It faults in the fact that there's really no way I'd want to drink more than one of these in a sitting. It's an interesting brew and I'm glad to see Miller trying something like this, but in the end this one is still a one trick pony.

3.2/5  rDev -2.4%

Transparent dark brown color with orange highlights. Middling tan head of little lasting-power. Weak laces, some short horizontal stripes. Flowery chocolate aroma, seems to have a candy bar sense. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is not excessive and actually subdued and well-done. Powerfully chocolate flavor, not a lot else to contradict the effect. A little too saccharine overall, elements of vanilla, sweetened milk, even some maple sugar give the brew an almost Tootsie Roll taste. Finishes slightly diminished in body. Not a bad idea, better than Michelob Celebrate (at least the original vanilla version), but its a little too much with too much of a sugary sweetness.

2.42/5  rDev -26.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a deep amber brown with a clear body and a creamy light chocolate tan head that last a good while.

S- This beer has a strong smell of hot cocoa with the background of lightly roasted chocolate nibs with a slight sweetness of milk chocolate. I think it is my imagination but I detect a hint of marshallow in the finish aswell. No matter how much I sniff I don't smell any malt.

T- This beer has a strong taste of cold hot cocoa with a slight tang of sweetness in the finish. As this beer warms the taste is more like a chocolate nougat.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel

D- This beer is very chocolaty but there are no qualites that taste like beer. I would put this in the malternative category but it is a nice malternative.

3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. Worth at least a novelty try. Actually a pretty attractive bottle.

Pour: deep, dark hazelnut brown under a cm of tan head that fizzles rather quickly.

Nose: big time cocoa powder and vanilla extract notes, milky caramel and a metallic malt twinge in the finish. Actually rather pleasant.

Taste: wow, surprisingly inoffensive. Loads more cocoa powder, milk chocolate, some light berry notes, caramel with a faint grain finish reminding you this is still in the realm of beer. A coffee bitterness emerges as it warms a bit.

Feel: thinnish and fizzy, but still substantial in the mouth.

Drinkability/Overall: This is actually a pretty tasty beer. Not particularly beer-like, but the chocolate flavor doesn't have the artificial character that I would have assumed from Miller. Worth a try if you have an open mind for gimmicky beers or a love for chocolate.

4.1/5  rDev +25%

Wow! Stunningly cocoaish in the nose! Chocolatey in the flavor! It's like liquid chocolate! And it's only slightly beer-like. Chocolate's an aphrodisiac, right? I wonder if this would work on women at the bar? Seriously, I had higher expectations for this. It's really like a malternative, but with cocoa rather than some kind of fruit flavoring. Nice appearance and mouthfeel though, but I could hardly think that anyone could find it drinkable enough to have more than one. As for the drinkability of one though, hmm.... I did enjoy it for what it was. If I had a real sweet-tooth I think I might go for it! And I think it would pair really well with some foods. But then I'd question why you'd use beer, rather than something else chocolatey, or a chocolate flavored apertif, or just chocolate. Once again, it's stunningly chocolate-like, but with little else (some subtle wheaty malt, mild bitterness, very mild hop notes in back). I'd recommend trying it though, just so you could say you once had a beer that tasted just like chocolate. (My numbers for rating are totally hedonistic in nature).

3.98/5  rDev +21.3%

12oz single, probably overpriced at Riley's

appearance: poured into a wine glass in my luxurious room at the Cove in Lake Geneva...caramel mahogany body, light beige head with very little lacing, clear hue

smell: rich creamy chocolate, a touch buttery, smooth caramel, rather complex for a Miller

taste: certainly underrated due to the Miller factor...creamy dark chocolate, mocha java, roasted malt, cocoa powder, milky sweet, creamy caramel...i must say this is pretty enjoyable

mouthfeel: medium-light body, roasty and rather smooth

drinkability: good

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

Big cocoa aroma leans more toward chocolate milk and hot chocolate than chocolat malt. The body is a dark a ruddy auburn brown and the head is firm, diminishing and bubbly. Thin lightly tart fore followed by dry cocoa notes in abundance with some mild juicy dark fruit notes int he finish. The finish is better than the fore as it isn’t so dry and forced. Not bad, but not worthy of praise as an attempt by miller to make a better beer, in my opinion. Though a good start I guess.

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours to a very carbonated deep black hue. Head is a dark tan that fades by the end of this sentence. Nose is a crazy sweet fudgy chocolate mash up. Super sweet as it enters the mouth with notes of coco, vanilla, and coffe that come off kind of like a toostie roll. Finish is realatively thin. Mouthfeel is a syrupy sweet hue. Really lacks complexity. Not a bad try though.

3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance - Quite dark brown, but appears to be clear. Cocoa brown head, that retains surprisingly well. Not bad.

Smell - Mostly cocoa scent. Masks most of the beer aroma, but what's left does not mix perfectly with chocolate. I'm not sure that chocolate and beer is a good combination. Not artificial smelling.

Taste - Chocolate flavor is present, but not nearly so overpowering as the aroma would indicate. Flavors also meld better than the scent. Some darker sweet and caramelly malts are present. Ends up tasting almost like a chocolate sundae or a mildly dark chocolate milk. Beer character is subdued, but certainly not absent. I think this beer does a surprisingly good job of mixing beer and chocolate without losing either.

Mouthfeel - Too watery, probably because the base of this beer is a lighter lager. While maybe this is a necessary result, If I think about the mouthfeel, it detracts from the tasting experience.

Drinkability - I'm not a big fan of the combination, but its better than I expected. I've not had many spice/herb/vegetable beers and I'm not sure that I'll have many more, but this one meets the criteria well and appears to be of high quality. Perhaps the most impressive Miller product of tried. And it's got a classy-looking bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

2.15/5  rDev -34.5%

Once this became available as a single at my beer store, I was willing to try it. It is a nice amber color, much darker than most Miller products.

The nose is so bizarre that it's probably worth buying one just to sample its weirdness. My first impression was Cocoa Puffs. My wife likened it to a scratch-n-sniff chocolate. Whatever the case, it's a highly artificial "chocolate" aroma. It is very very strong.

The flavor is pretty much the same: it's only chocolate in the sense that Qwik is chocolate. Very artificial, overly sweet, and it overwhelms any "beer" characteristics there might have been (this is probably no real loss-- it IS Miller, after all).

Hard to finish the bottle, but I soldiered through. Recommended only in a freak show kind of way.

4.43/5  rDev +35.1%

I recently split a bottle of this beer with my wife. We were both very pleased with it and are looking to find it again.
The appearance was a nice rich color, but the head could have remained a little longer. The smell was of chocolate, vanilla, malt, and a hint of beer. We both thoroughly enjoyed the taste. It was a bit sweet for a beer, but you have to rate it for what it is, and that is a chocolate beer. So for that, it was very pleasing.
Overall, this is a very good beer that I would highly recommend for holiday gatherings.

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

Semi-cloudy, dark amber with light brown head.
Smell is all chocolate coffee and hazelnut. (like the hazelnut coffee creamer)
Dry mouthfeel, sweet nutty taste. This is closer to a cold coffee beverage than a beer. Might make a good breakfast beer.

Probably the best Miller product I have had.

2.63/5  rDev -19.8%

Deceptively packaged with the Miller logo small and to the bottom of the label and 4-pack. Looks for all the world like a micro.

The beer pours a nice brown with glints of garnet and and beige head that disappears quickly. The aroma promises plenty of chocolate and caramel, but the flavor fails to quite live up to that promise. There's plenty of chocolate flavor, but it's more of the liquorish variety, like a cross between Tia Maria and Kahlua than the kilned malt and bitter dark cocoa flavor I've come to expect from a beers billed as chocolate. This could have something to do with it being a lager as opposed to the chocolate ales I'm more used to. Hops are nowhere to be found. The beer is bock-like in its mouthfeel. This is not a particularly heavy, hoppy, or sweet beer, but the chemical-like chocolate flavor lingers and keeps the next one in the fridge and out of my hand.

Certainly the most interesting Miller product I've had in a while, but that's faint praise.

2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer was brought to my tasting last night. Not surprisingly, it was one of the top contenders for drain fodder from our taste line-up.

The beer pours to a dark chocolatey caramel color with a thin off-white head. Looks alright, but I could stand to argue that I should deduct some points from the appearance because the smell is so horrid. If I can smell the fake-ass chocolate when I am looking at the glass from across the room, you know it's going to be bad. (Note: I didn't actually deduct from the appearance score... heheh)

The smell, as I've noted is of vanilla and chocolate extract, and LOTS of it. Smells like vanilla and cocoa powder. All I need is eggs, some flour, butter, and milk, then I could use this beer to make brownies from scratch. It was definitely overkill. The flavor isn't much better. The best thing it has going for it is that it doesn't have a stinky vegetal lager flavor. I still wouldn't be able to finish a whole bottle. I'd much rather eat a brownie.

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Woody brown color with a larger fizzy tan head that receds to a thin layer. Very chocolaty smell. Kind of a cocoa aroma at first but then some milk chocolate and coffee hints afterwards. Flavor begins with a denser chocolate sweetness. Much more milky chocolatey than I expected. Lacks the bitter cocoa element I expected. A touch of coffee and nutty flavor but its light. An odd herbal element underneath and towards the back. Finish has a bit of an acidic twang and more chocolate sweetness but a bit faker this time around. Body is a touch too light and thin but there is a nice bit of creaminess to this beer. Really an odd beer. Good at first but it declined the further I drank. Worth a try.

2.25/5  rDev -31.4%

The beer pours a translucent shade of brown with a small tan head. The aroma is that of cocoa powder and non-descript, slightly artificial sweetness. The flavor is much the same... cloying sweetness with an overblown "this one goes to 11" addition of chocolate. Step back Frederick! Ease off on the chocolate (or "chocolate" ?) man! Yikes. Mouthfeel and carbonation are pleasant and appropriate. Drinkability? No thanks. I had to pass the other three on to other willing subjects. Poor bastards.

1.2/5  rDev -63.4%

I have no idea how anyone tastes any chocolate in this beer. I'm a huge fan of Young's Double Choclate Stout, and Rogue's Chocolate Stout - both very good beers. This, however, is not chocolate.

I was willing to give this stuff a try, despite it being from Miller. After all, I don't entirely hate Leinenkugel and Michelob and Blue Moon - so just being owned by/produced by BMC doesn't necessarily make a beer crap. Horrible flavor and smell, on the other hand...

Here's the best way for me to describe the taste of this beer... Brew a pot of coffee. Preferrably cheap Folgers or something similar. Then put the open pot into the refrigerator. Go to the store and buy some cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, etc. Put these in the refrigerator as well. Don't put them in plastic bags, or the crisper drawer - just out on the shelf. Then wait about 3 months. At that time, throw away the blackened husks of decomposed vegetables, and drink the rotten grocery-infused stale coffee. Miller's "Chocolate" Lager tastes almost exactly like that.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Lightly hazed dark maroon body, nice looking white head. I can't believe this thing is made with only chocolate malts, the smell is exactly that of hershey's syrup, very sugary. The taste is very sweet at first, with chocolate start to finish. Slightly bitter finish, but the chocolate taste is absurd and overdone. Still, I have had worse, and it is a good try. Turn the chocolate down a bit, Miller.

3.7/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer actually frightened me. It was actually good. Lord help us.

Into a pint glass, poured a nice dark brown color with a sizable tan head, little lacing. Aroma is chocolate, chocolate malts. My lady is drinking some Swiss Miss hot chocolate right next to me, doens't smell all that much different. Get the theme?

Taste was startlingly good. Not great, but enough to raise an eyebrow. Chocolate malts again, syrupy a little bit, a bit candy like, so its kind of a humorous attempt at a real craft beer, but applaudable. it gets close.

Mouth is thin, ok carbonation, ok bitterness, I suppose I might be able to drink another, but I'll pass.

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Frederick Miller Classic Chocolate Lager pours out a
stiff beige head over a deep brown, almost black brew.
Carbonation is active, and the nose is basically baker's
chocolate. The taste is nuts and semi-sweet chocolate,
with a ghost of a suggestion of hop in the finish. The mouth-
feel is crisp, clean, and light. Never let it be said that Miller's
brewers don't know their stuff- this is one tasty brew and not
a bit of corn or rice in it. The flavors only deepen as the brew
warms. Unfortunately, Miller's average customers don't agree-
released as a holiday special, there's a pallet of the stuff on
sale at the Baxter Esser's. No doubt the same situation may
be in force in your location- take advantage while you can.
This is an experiment Miller might not revisit. A really tasty
dessert beer.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

Wow. I never even knew this beer was produced until tonight. My neighbor bought several cases of this back in 2006 and has been cellaring/slowly drinking them since.

This beer surprises me for two reasons. First, Miller actually branched out and tried to produce something different (different for them, at least). Second, this beer weighs in at 5.5% ABV, my neighbor has cellared it for six years, and it still tastes pretty good.

Think of this as Choklat with a thinner mouthfeel and a more Hershey's/artifical chocolate taste. Overall, surprisingly a decent offering from Miller. Does it compare to some of the craft brew offerings, not really. However, this is a step up from the normal BMC products in my opinion, especially being six years old.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz brown bottle with a pretty neat design for the label.

The beer is a medium brown with a quickly collapsing tan head. Some bits of lace on the side of the glass.

The nose is of coco, some chocolate syrup and a bit of brown sugar. The nose is appetizing but borders on being a bit artificial.

The taste is solid and enjoyable. Here the chocolate tastes like the real deal. It is not over powering, too sweet or to artificial. You get some nice coco taste married to a decent lager. I’m surprised at how well this beer hangs together. I knew chocolate works well with stouts & porters, but was a bit skeptical about a lager.

Would I drink this all night? No, but it is a nice desert choice and is definitely more than a one off purchase.

Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager from Miller Brewing Co.