Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager - Miller Brewing Co.

Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate LagerFrederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.50% ABV

Gold Medal winner entered as "Temptation Bock" at the 2005 GABF in the Herb and Spice Beer category.

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 09-18-2006)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by granger10:
granger10

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Woody brown color with a larger fizzy tan head that receds to a thin layer. Very chocolaty smell. Kind of a cocoa aroma at first but then some milk chocolate and coffee hints afterwards. Flavor begins with a denser chocolate sweetness. Much more milky chocolatey than I expected. Lacks the bitter cocoa element I expected. A touch of coffee and nutty flavor but its light. An odd herbal element underneath and towards the back. Finish has a bit of an acidic twang and more chocolate sweetness but a bit faker this time around. Body is a touch too light and thin but there is a nice bit of creaminess to this beer. Really an odd beer. Good at first but it declined the further I drank. Worth a try.

11-22-2006 03:29:37 | More by granger10

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

10-16-2012 10:10:55 | More by bzach
thebigredone

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

Wow. I never even knew this beer was produced until tonight. My neighbor bought several cases of this back in 2006 and has been cellaring/slowly drinking them since.

This beer surprises me for two reasons. First, Miller actually branched out and tried to produce something different (different for them, at least). Second, this beer weighs in at 5.5% ABV, my neighbor has cellared it for six years, and it still tastes pretty good.

Think of this as Choklat with a thinner mouthfeel and a more Hershey's/artifical chocolate taste. Overall, surprisingly a decent offering from Miller. Does it compare to some of the craft brew offerings, not really. However, this is a step up from the normal BMC products in my opinion, especially being six years old.

07-11-2012 03:34:09 | More by thebigredone

01-15-2012 23:52:15 | More by MaxOfMetal
TATTORSO

2.73/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz. bottle...one time 2006 release. A gracious offering from a neighbor. I can only assume it's been in his refrigerator since it was purchased.

A vigorous pour into a 16 oz. Pilsner trumpet.
Dark, caramel colored with a solid, dense three finger vanilla ice cream colored head that rose above the top of the glass. Stiff enough to hold & not spill over. By the time it was over...no evidence of head or lace.

Smells of creamy dark chocolate, cocoa powder, toasted marshmallows, with a hint of vanilla & a trace of mint(?). A surprising, faint whiff of alcohol.

Taste is like flat Ovaltine & stale malted milk balls. Like fermented YooHoo. Thin & a little watery with a semi sweet finish. After taste reminds me of chewing on a spent fudgsicle stick.

The mouth is flat with absolutely no hop presence to speak of. IF...there ever was any, it's long gone. Not surprising. Finish is flat & sweet. Any initial carbonation was apparently released on the pour.

Palatable...this is a novelty beer (beer is a stretch here). It's not surprising that they only brewed it one time...I only needed to try it once.

07-27-2008 05:47:45 | More by TATTORSO
NOOGIE

4.1/5  rDev +25%

Its been a while since I enjoyed this beer.

I was hoping to get my hands on this beer before Miller took this one away. It was a really good holiday beer, I could see my family members enjoying this one.

Apperance chocolate dark color through and through. Smell I'm not a big fan of chocolate so that kinda turned me off, also I poured the beer into a mug and the smell and apperance stuck around in the mug to long for my liking. Also had a bit of foam on the top once you let it settle it pays off though. The taste was really good, I didn't want to slam this beer I sat back and but on some good tunes and drank every ounce of this beer. Overall the taste, mouthfeel and drinkabilty are very good. If you can find some of this beer, GRAB it. Also goes good with a great cigar.

04-23-2008 23:05:26 | More by NOOGIE
orbitalr0x

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz bottle found hiding in my cellar. Let's see how it does. Pours into my glass a dark cola brown with hints of garnet poking through. A fizzy off white head appears and sticks around for awhile. Aromas begin with chocolate upfront, but it's a bit of an odd aroma akin to unsweetened cocoa powder. Crisp wheat grain in the background and that's about it. Aroma seems a bit artificial to me.

First sip brings a crisp wheat grain malt upfront met by a Tootsie Roll-esque chocolate flavor that again reminds me of cocoa powder. It flows down with some sweetness and a touch of caramel. Finishes with only a kiss of bitterness and a lingering chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with fast flowing carbonation that helps to add some creaminess to the body. This one goes down easy enough. It faults in the fact that there's really no way I'd want to drink more than one of these in a sitting. It's an interesting brew and I'm glad to see Miller trying something like this, but in the end this one is still a one trick pony.

12-29-2007 04:34:26 | More by orbitalr0x
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear, thinnish dark brown body. As for the head, well, no amount of swirling can seem to coax more than a few bubbles out of this beer.

Smell: Tootsie Rolls!

Taste: More Tootsie Rolls, but without all those God-forsaken wrappers and all that pesky chewing (what a chore)! All in all, a toothsome sweetness that's cloying to the point that I had to wash (and re-wash) the glass to get the smell and taste out.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Very mild carbonation.

Drinkability: How many sips will it take for me to reach the bottom of my glass? Let's find out. One, two-hoo, three. Three!

12-23-2007 19:42:54 | More by ChainGangGuy
botham

3.08/5  rDev -6.1%

pours a chocolate brown (no pun intended), with one finger of light brown head that retains for a minute or so. the beer is somewhat transparent for the color, with a dark ruby brown hue showing through in light.

smells strongly of chocolate. little else. hints of coffee, toffee, and a touch of graininess are present, but the chocolate overpowers them. just like smelling a liquidated hershey's bar.

taste is still chocolate, but with much more to work with. the roasted malts are right alongside the cocoa bean, with a hint of grain to add to the mix. the taste is sweet, but not as sweet as it smells.

aftertaste is mostly hops, with some chocolate residue. a good one for dessert.

mouthfeel is thick and smooth, like melted chocolate. the thickness adds to the richness of the brew, lowering the drinkability.

drinkability is not very good. this one is very sweet and rich, which can be great in certain circumstances, but multiple bottles would take a toll on the stomach.

overall, this is a wonderful beer for chocolate lovers. very smooth, thick and rich, it moves away from the term "beer" a bit, but is crafted well for its purposes.

06-16-2007 22:35:05 | More by botham
tapman

2.93/5  rDev -10.7%

Miller makes a decent beer,
wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles.

Dark, rosewood color with a coffee head that dissipates within about a minute and a half but leaves a decent lacing that stays constant. Highly carbonated.

Aromas of chocolate and either lactase or vanilla, or both to add a creaminess to the brew. No hops that I can smell.

Very chocolaty. Reminds me of Hershey's chocolate syrup, which isn't necessarily a good thing, much too sweet for repeat drinking. Vanilla is present upon tasting, also. Not much else to this beer. Maybe they used a little bit of oatmeal to darken it up, but its hard to say.

Feels syrupy.

An interesting beer, this dark chocolate lager, but I'm always skeptical of the Macros. I'm thinking chocolate flavored syrup and corn syrup for added sweetness. I don't drink soda-pop because of the processed sugar in it, and this beer rubs me in a similar wrong way. Still, its a good Miller product and that's saying something. Worth a try.

06-14-2007 03:00:13 | More by tapman
shadow1961

3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Frederick Miller Classic Chocolate Lager pours out a
stiff beige head over a deep brown, almost black brew.
Carbonation is active, and the nose is basically baker's
chocolate. The taste is nuts and semi-sweet chocolate,
with a ghost of a suggestion of hop in the finish. The mouth-
feel is crisp, clean, and light. Never let it be said that Miller's
brewers don't know their stuff- this is one tasty brew and not
a bit of corn or rice in it. The flavors only deepen as the brew
warms. Unfortunately, Miller's average customers don't agree-
released as a holiday special, there's a pallet of the stuff on
sale at the Baxter Esser's. No doubt the same situation may
be in force in your location- take advantage while you can.
This is an experiment Miller might not revisit. A really tasty
dessert beer.

04-26-2007 17:19:46 | More by shadow1961
Gump

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

Semi-cloudy, dark amber with light brown head.
Smell is all chocolate coffee and hazelnut. (like the hazelnut coffee creamer)
Dry mouthfeel, sweet nutty taste. This is closer to a cold coffee beverage than a beer. Might make a good breakfast beer.

Probably the best Miller product I have had.

03-29-2007 22:23:58 | More by Gump
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.1/5  rDev +25%

Dark bronze that becomes dusky ruby when backlit. The cap is impressive and is probably the nicest looking lid that I've ever seen on a Miller beer. It's toasted ecru in color, is frothily creamy, retreats slowly and leaves a few arcing streamers of soapy lace. This is pretty much how a chocolate lager ought to look.

I could smell chocolate as soon as I poured. It isn't until I get my nose over the glass, though, that I realize how wonderful the aroma actually is. The brewery has used both cocao nibs and chocolate malt and has created one of the most perfect chocolate beer noses that I've ever smelled. Are we sure this is a Miller product?

Although the flavor couldn't possibly measure up, it certainly makes a valiant effort. In my opinion, the three keys to a flavored beer are as follows: a quality base beer, a perfect amount of whatever flavor is being added, and a natural character to that flavor. Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager is a success because it satisfies all three criteria.

I'm amazed at how well this beer holds up to intense scrutiny. It tastes exactly like the liquid equivalent of a cocoa-dusted chocolate wafer stuck into a scoop of chocolate mousse. As well, there's just the right amount of sweet vs. bitter to keep the flavor from becoming wearing over time. I can imagine a lot of wives and girlfriends going gaga over this stuff.

The mouthfeel holds its own with ease. It's lagery silky smooth with a surprising amount of creaminess that doesn't even think of fading on the finish. Add a perfect amount of soft carbonation and we have a winner.

I couldn't be more stunned by the beer I just finished. I hate to say it, but my amazement has everything to do with who brewed it. Why can't they put this much care and skill into the rest of their lineup? Never mind, I already know the answer. Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager puts Michelob Celebrate Chocolate to shame and exposes it for the bilge water it is. If you despair of ever drinking a really good beer from BMC, give this one a whirl.

03-26-2007 19:18:05 | More by BuckeyeNation
TechMyst

3.05/5  rDev -7%

Black color with orange transmittance. Malt and cocoa scent. Tried one that was a little warmer than I wanted and I think it made the head rise more than normal. about 2 inches. No bubbles were rising visibly. Chocolate and malt taste. Medium mouthfee with slightly slick palate. Thought the 1st was terrible, but the 2nd it was quite good, my palate adjusted. good enough to get a nice little buzz going...

03-07-2007 02:29:15 | More by TechMyst
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours to a very carbonated deep black hue. Head is a dark tan that fades by the end of this sentence. Nose is a crazy sweet fudgy chocolate mash up. Super sweet as it enters the mouth with notes of coco, vanilla, and coffe that come off kind of like a toostie roll. Finish is realatively thin. Mouthfeel is a syrupy sweet hue. Really lacks complexity. Not a bad try though.

02-26-2007 01:53:15 | More by SPLITGRIN
chuckm

Indiana

This may be the only dark hued beer that my wife has ever tolerated. The head was beautiful upon pour and lasted quite a while. The smell was overpoweringly cocoa although the taste had a little less of that prescence. A bit sweet for my taste but very smooth, I would have trouble drinking more than two of these however would be good as a solo beer after dinner. Overall I actually liked this and considering the contempt I have for most miller products that surprised me.

02-25-2007 14:51:58 | More by chuckm
NeroFiddled

4.1/5  rDev +25%

Wow! Stunningly cocoaish in the nose! Chocolatey in the flavor! It's like liquid chocolate! And it's only slightly beer-like. Chocolate's an aphrodisiac, right? I wonder if this would work on women at the bar? Seriously, I had higher expectations for this. It's really like a malternative, but with cocoa rather than some kind of fruit flavoring. Nice appearance and mouthfeel though, but I could hardly think that anyone could find it drinkable enough to have more than one. As for the drinkability of one though, hmm.... I did enjoy it for what it was. If I had a real sweet-tooth I think I might go for it! And I think it would pair really well with some foods. But then I'd question why you'd use beer, rather than something else chocolatey, or a chocolate flavored apertif, or just chocolate. Once again, it's stunningly chocolate-like, but with little else (some subtle wheaty malt, mild bitterness, very mild hop notes in back). I'd recommend trying it though, just so you could say you once had a beer that tasted just like chocolate. (My numbers for rating are totally hedonistic in nature).

02-17-2007 17:06:04 | More by NeroFiddled
Rennpferd

3.7/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

It poured slightly flat with very little tan head that quickly dissipated into nothing but a slight ring around the glass. It is molasses dark. A hint of carbination can be detected.

Smells of sweet rich roasted malt, very smooth smelling.

It tastes of rich malt and hints of chocolate. It has a light body to medium body that goes down smoothly.

Not quite what I like to drink but very tasty non-the-less. I recommend that you try it at least once.

02-09-2007 02:16:58 | More by Rennpferd
Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager from Miller Brewing Co.