Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager - Miller Brewing Co.

Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate LagerFrederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.50% ABV

Gold Medal winner entered as "Temptation Bock" at the 2005 GABF in the Herb and Spice Beer category.

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 09-18-2006)
4.43/5  rDev +35.1%

I recently split a bottle of this beer with my wife. We were both very pleased with it and are looking to find it again.
The appearance was a nice rich color, but the head could have remained a little longer. The smell was of chocolate, vanilla, malt, and a hint of beer. We both thoroughly enjoyed the taste. It was a bit sweet for a beer, but you have to rate it for what it is, and that is a chocolate beer. So for that, it was very pleasing.
Overall, this is a very good beer that I would highly recommend for holiday gatherings.

milljs, Oct 25, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +32.6%

A - Reddish-brown color, almost no head.

S - Holy crap, this smells insanely good. I didn't want to like this, but if the smell indicates anything, this will be a buy-again. Smells like caramel and dark chocolate and maybe a hint of coffee.

T - Flavor isn't quite as strong as the aroma, but really tastes like chocolate. Dark chocolate, sweet, caramel, malty. I'm very impressed.

M - Medium body, lightly carbed. Clean.

D - I don't know what to say...I was prepared to hate this. But this is a very fine chocolate-flavored beer. It just goes to show that the big boys *CAN* produce decent beer if they choose to.

BlackAngus, Dec 03, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +32.6%

Decided that reading reviews in Beer Advocate the magazine demanded reviewing a beer myself… I was just getting so darn thirsty reading the magazine.

Poured a deep chocolate color that was slightly red when held up to the light. Carbonation welled up from the depths of the glass fueling a 1 ½ finger head. This head was creamy wheat in color and stuck around for a while. Good lacing that clung to the side of the glass the whole way down.

As was expected the most prevalent smell is that of chocolate. I also detected wheat and some hazelnut smell was well. It smelled sweet and begged to be consumed.

The taste was delicious from square one. The chocolate taste was balanced by a slight bitterness. As I let it warm in my mouth I detected some fruit notes as well as a nutty quality.

My first reaction: “Oh my”. After being let down by Frederick Miller before, I was not let down here. The smooth brew slid over my mouth and down my throat. Along the way that good carbonation danced around joyfully. Its sweetness was balanced by its dry character. This probably has the best mouth feel I have experienced to date.

This beer makes for a wonderful Aperitif or a great finish to any meal or evening. It’s a little heavy so it fills you up pleasantly. I wouldn’t sit down and drink three or four in a session, but I can see myself drinking three or four a week in the evenings. I tip my hat here to Miller Brewing as they have made a fine beer.

uwpman, Jan 09, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +32%

*I am rating this for what it is...a specialty chocolate lager...I realize this may not be for everyone but for the style it is quite nice..
---
Dark brown color....creamy texture in the mouth....medium bodied....huge sweet melted milk chocolate aroma....also some powdered hot cocoa mix..

Taste is sweet and big on the milk chocolate....at first it seems almost a little too sweet but it finishes very clean...drinks like a lager...might be a bit much for some people but I think they did a nice job with this. I am amazed there is no "real" chocolate added. It tastes and smells like there is..also some wheat malt in this...

To me this is a souped up schwartzbeir on chocolate steroids...I think this is a nice effort by Miller and one that can serve as an after dinner beer for many...even non-beer drinkers...

ZAP, Nov 07, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +29.6%

wakajawaka76, May 30, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +25%

Wow! Stunningly cocoaish in the nose! Chocolatey in the flavor! It's like liquid chocolate! And it's only slightly beer-like. Chocolate's an aphrodisiac, right? I wonder if this would work on women at the bar? Seriously, I had higher expectations for this. It's really like a malternative, but with cocoa rather than some kind of fruit flavoring. Nice appearance and mouthfeel though, but I could hardly think that anyone could find it drinkable enough to have more than one. As for the drinkability of one though, hmm.... I did enjoy it for what it was. If I had a real sweet-tooth I think I might go for it! And I think it would pair really well with some foods. But then I'd question why you'd use beer, rather than something else chocolatey, or a chocolate flavored apertif, or just chocolate. Once again, it's stunningly chocolate-like, but with little else (some subtle wheaty malt, mild bitterness, very mild hop notes in back). I'd recommend trying it though, just so you could say you once had a beer that tasted just like chocolate. (My numbers for rating are totally hedonistic in nature).

NeroFiddled, Feb 17, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +25%

Its been a while since I enjoyed this beer.

I was hoping to get my hands on this beer before Miller took this one away. It was a really good holiday beer, I could see my family members enjoying this one.

Apperance chocolate dark color through and through. Smell I'm not a big fan of chocolate so that kinda turned me off, also I poured the beer into a mug and the smell and apperance stuck around in the mug to long for my liking. Also had a bit of foam on the top once you let it settle it pays off though. The taste was really good, I didn't want to slam this beer I sat back and but on some good tunes and drank every ounce of this beer. Overall the taste, mouthfeel and drinkabilty are very good. If you can find some of this beer, GRAB it. Also goes good with a great cigar.

NOOGIE, Apr 23, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +25%

very dark brown colour, nearly opaque....with a thin fine tight head. lots of carbonation, giving it a cola appearance. sparse lace. swiss miss aroma...almost decadent in nature. chocolate milkshake flavour....imagine layered real milk chocolate, chocolate malted milkballs and chocolate malt. all in one beer. if you like chocolate and you like beer....this is the quitessential beverage of choice. the bit of wheat in the malt bill adds a layer of complexity, and it has just the hint of hop bitterness in the end to complete the trick. this lager has a beautiful mouthfeel and an above average body. temptation bock it is, and it's damn drinkable.

a fine effort from miller. this would be a great beer to bottle in magnums and sell during the holidays. i'd buy more.

budgood1, Dec 10, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +25%

Dark bronze that becomes dusky ruby when backlit. The cap is impressive and is probably the nicest looking lid that I've ever seen on a Miller beer. It's toasted ecru in color, is frothily creamy, retreats slowly and leaves a few arcing streamers of soapy lace. This is pretty much how a chocolate lager ought to look.

I could smell chocolate as soon as I poured. It isn't until I get my nose over the glass, though, that I realize how wonderful the aroma actually is. The brewery has used both cocao nibs and chocolate malt and has created one of the most perfect chocolate beer noses that I've ever smelled. Are we sure this is a Miller product?

Although the flavor couldn't possibly measure up, it certainly makes a valiant effort. In my opinion, the three keys to a flavored beer are as follows: a quality base beer, a perfect amount of whatever flavor is being added, and a natural character to that flavor. Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager is a success because it satisfies all three criteria.

I'm amazed at how well this beer holds up to intense scrutiny. It tastes exactly like the liquid equivalent of a cocoa-dusted chocolate wafer stuck into a scoop of chocolate mousse. As well, there's just the right amount of sweet vs. bitter to keep the flavor from becoming wearing over time. I can imagine a lot of wives and girlfriends going gaga over this stuff.

The mouthfeel holds its own with ease. It's lagery silky smooth with a surprising amount of creaminess that doesn't even think of fading on the finish. Add a perfect amount of soft carbonation and we have a winner.

I couldn't be more stunned by the beer I just finished. I hate to say it, but my amazement has everything to do with who brewed it. Why can't they put this much care and skill into the rest of their lineup? Never mind, I already know the answer. Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager puts Michelob Celebrate Chocolate to shame and exposes it for the bilge water it is. If you despair of ever drinking a really good beer from BMC, give this one a whirl.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 26, 2007

bozodogbreath, Oct 30, 2012

This may be the only dark hued beer that my wife has ever tolerated. The head was beautiful upon pour and lasted quite a while. The smell was overpoweringly cocoa although the taste had a little less of that prescence. A bit sweet for my taste but very smooth, I would have trouble drinking more than two of these however would be good as a solo beer after dinner. Overall I actually liked this and considering the contempt I have for most miller products that surprised me.

chuckm, Feb 25, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +21.3%

12oz single, probably overpriced at Riley's

appearance: poured into a wine glass in my luxurious room at the Cove in Lake Geneva...caramel mahogany body, light beige head with very little lacing, clear hue

smell: rich creamy chocolate, a touch buttery, smooth caramel, rather complex for a Miller

taste: certainly underrated due to the Miller factor...creamy dark chocolate, mocha java, roasted malt, cocoa powder, milky sweet, creamy caramel...i must say this is pretty enjoyable

mouthfeel: medium-light body, roasty and rather smooth

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Nov 28, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance - Quite dark brown, but appears to be clear. Cocoa brown head, that retains surprisingly well. Not bad.

Smell - Mostly cocoa scent. Masks most of the beer aroma, but what's left does not mix perfectly with chocolate. I'm not sure that chocolate and beer is a good combination. Not artificial smelling.

Taste - Chocolate flavor is present, but not nearly so overpowering as the aroma would indicate. Flavors also meld better than the scent. Some darker sweet and caramelly malts are present. Ends up tasting almost like a chocolate sundae or a mildly dark chocolate milk. Beer character is subdued, but certainly not absent. I think this beer does a surprisingly good job of mixing beer and chocolate without losing either.

Mouthfeel - Too watery, probably because the base of this beer is a lighter lager. While maybe this is a necessary result, If I think about the mouthfeel, it detracts from the tasting experience.

Drinkability - I'm not a big fan of the combination, but its better than I expected. I've not had many spice/herb/vegetable beers and I'm not sure that I'll have many more, but this one meets the criteria well and appears to be of high quality. Perhaps the most impressive Miller product of tried. And it's got a classy-looking bottle.

scaliasux, Dec 18, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Miller specialty beers? Gee, I remember trying Miller 1855 as the last beer from Miller and, well... but since this was a dark beer , chocolate to boot, I figured what the hell. It looks very nice. Little amber light coming through and nice creamy head. Smell was wow. I love chocolate stouts and the chocolate/coffee scent of this beer , overpowering and meant to be that way and a fresh ground coffee scent that stood out. Nice! Very creamy on the mouth and washed with the chocolate aftertaste well.

This was a chocolate beer, it was bitter from the chocolate flavor, but the lager that it's mixed with seemed thin. The back end had a maple syrup flavor and maybe a touch of waxy crayon, but not enough to ruin the beer..

Well, Miller has a product for people that like chocolate/coffee in thier beers. I would have preferred this to be heartier, but since this is not a stout or porter, I'll rate it high for drinkability for what it is. It's a little high, 5.49 for a 4 pack, but I'd say the tastes are there.

Ricochet, Nov 05, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Dark brown appearance, clearer near the bottom, more mahogany/crimson-hued there, as well,...a decent head starts it off, then slims away to nil.

Aroma: cocoa powder, think Swiss Miss, or NEstle Quick, ...and that's it.

Taste: chocolatey, for the first sip, lingering to the middle of the tongue, rising to the roof of the mouth, staying, but not terrible impressive, considering the weakness of the body. A little slick and syrupy, some maple slipping in...
Tastes good, actually, and doesn't taste like a Miller product, much to my surprise.
Solid cocoa flavor, extraordinarily drinkable.
Inoffensive, but turns oddly sour and bitter near the middle, though.
I have the one bottle given by a friend, and I could have a few in a row, but not much more, I think I would quickly tire of it.
In short, this one's like a frosty chocolate milkshake, but with booze!

feloniousmonk, Nov 15, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. Worth at least a novelty try. Actually a pretty attractive bottle.

Pour: deep, dark hazelnut brown under a cm of tan head that fizzles rather quickly.

Nose: big time cocoa powder and vanilla extract notes, milky caramel and a metallic malt twinge in the finish. Actually rather pleasant.

Taste: wow, surprisingly inoffensive. Loads more cocoa powder, milk chocolate, some light berry notes, caramel with a faint grain finish reminding you this is still in the realm of beer. A coffee bitterness emerges as it warms a bit.

Feel: thinnish and fizzy, but still substantial in the mouth.

Drinkability/Overall: This is actually a pretty tasty beer. Not particularly beer-like, but the chocolate flavor doesn't have the artificial character that I would have assumed from Miller. Worth a try if you have an open mind for gimmicky beers or a love for chocolate.

Golden2wenty1, Oct 24, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a dark brown with auburn highlights and a khaki head. Sweet cocoa nose blends the aroma of chocolate malt, chocolate milk and Hersey's chocolate syrup. The mouthfeel is medium with an airy carbonation. Tastes like sweet chocolate, cocoa and chocolate malt. Wheat malt and grain cereal toward the middle. There's a roasted nuttiness toward the back with more chocolate flavor in the finish. This tastes better cold. As the beer warms the flavor doesn't necessarily improve.

Worth a try and interesting to see Miller make an attempt at the craft beer drinker with a release like this. Much better that last holiday season's release of the boring and uninspired 1855 Celebration lager.

Notes- Gold medal winner at the 2005 GABF is displayed on the label. It also states it's a "Lager with cocao nibs and natural chocolate flavor".

Winter, Nov 25, 2006
3.7/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer actually frightened me. It was actually good. Lord help us.

Into a pint glass, poured a nice dark brown color with a sizable tan head, little lacing. Aroma is chocolate, chocolate malts. My lady is drinking some Swiss Miss hot chocolate right next to me, doens't smell all that much different. Get the theme?

Taste was startlingly good. Not great, but enough to raise an eyebrow. Chocolate malts again, syrupy a little bit, a bit candy like, so its kind of a humorous attempt at a real craft beer, but applaudable. it gets close.

Mouth is thin, ok carbonation, ok bitterness, I suppose I might be able to drink another, but I'll pass.

objectivemonkey, Jan 20, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a clean pint glass.

It poured slightly flat with very little tan head that quickly dissipated into nothing but a slight ring around the glass. It is molasses dark. A hint of carbination can be detected.

Smells of sweet rich roasted malt, very smooth smelling.

It tastes of rich malt and hints of chocolate. It has a light body to medium body that goes down smoothly.

Not quite what I like to drink but very tasty non-the-less. I recommend that you try it at least once.

Rennpferd, Feb 09, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +12.2%

Frederick Miller Classic Chocolate Lager pours out a
stiff beige head over a deep brown, almost black brew.
Carbonation is active, and the nose is basically baker's
chocolate. The taste is nuts and semi-sweet chocolate,
with a ghost of a suggestion of hop in the finish. The mouth-
feel is crisp, clean, and light. Never let it be said that Miller's
brewers don't know their stuff- this is one tasty brew and not
a bit of corn or rice in it. The flavors only deepen as the brew
warms. Unfortunately, Miller's average customers don't agree-
released as a holiday special, there's a pallet of the stuff on
sale at the Baxter Esser's. No doubt the same situation may
be in force in your location- take advantage while you can.
This is an experiment Miller might not revisit. A really tasty
dessert beer.

shadow1961, Apr 26, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Woody brown color with a larger fizzy tan head that receds to a thin layer. Very chocolaty smell. Kind of a cocoa aroma at first but then some milk chocolate and coffee hints afterwards. Flavor begins with a denser chocolate sweetness. Much more milky chocolatey than I expected. Lacks the bitter cocoa element I expected. A touch of coffee and nutty flavor but its light. An odd herbal element underneath and towards the back. Finish has a bit of an acidic twang and more chocolate sweetness but a bit faker this time around. Body is a touch too light and thin but there is a nice bit of creaminess to this beer. Really an odd beer. Good at first but it declined the further I drank. Worth a try.

granger10, Nov 22, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Aroma presents a chocolate of cocoa powder and softly of syrup. Somewhat sweet but a bit bitter too. I think it blends kinda' nicely. Seems like wheat background in there somewhere.
Pours brown and clear and shows garnet highlights in the light. Head is tan and creamy. It settles to a thin cap and shows lacing as emptied.
Smooth chocoately flavor that matches the aroma quit a bit. A mild dryness takes hold in the middle but isfairly short lived at the finish. Malt character shows subtlely in the middle and shows a quick sweetness up front, but both lend it a beer quality. Bitterness is very, very mild.
Feels is quite soft for a lager and is enhanced by extremely fine carbonation, although there are quite a bit of them bubbles and it creates too much of a filling quality. I'm assuming the wheat adds to the softness as well. Nonetheless, it has a nice feel that matches it's lager character.
In all honesty, this seems like a dessert lager. Lighter and softer than a ale, which might make it nice after a bigger meal, with or without a dessert. I can certainly understand how the chocolate can be too much for many who imbide (as by the end of the glass it gets to be enough), but used wisely, this could be a well placed beer in a planned out meal.
It's kinda' wild, in that I decided to have some vanilla ice cream as I drank this beer and the dessert brought out the bitterness of the beer (and it took on more coffee notes). What I noticed is that the beer is rich, but not necessarily sweet. The two went together quite well. Maybe I'll try a float with this beer next time.

garymuchow, Oct 22, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear, thinnish dark brown body. As for the head, well, no amount of swirling can seem to coax more than a few bubbles out of this beer.

Smell: Tootsie Rolls!

Taste: More Tootsie Rolls, but without all those God-forsaken wrappers and all that pesky chewing (what a chore)! All in all, a toothsome sweetness that's cloying to the point that I had to wash (and re-wash) the glass to get the smell and taste out.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Very mild carbonation.

Drinkability: How many sips will it take for me to reach the bottom of my glass? Let's find out. One, two-hoo, three. Three!

ChainGangGuy, Dec 23, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

I saw the 4 pack for $5.49 at Woodman’s and had to pick it up. I’ll admit I was quite skeptical about this beer, the whole BMC taking their crack at us beer snobs. The beer pours a deep brown into my glass with a thin off-white head that diminished a few sips into the beer and left a little lacing my glass. The nose of this beer is heavy on the chocolate, not chocolate malt, but like Hershey’s. The taste is an initial surge of chocolate followed by a modeate hop bitterness and hop flavor at the swallow and into the aftertaste. The beer is only moderately sweet, from the smell I was expecting cold hot chocolate but the taste is very much beer with a more subtle than expected chocolate taste. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and kind of fizzy, I think a more creamy texture would have been nice, but overall nothing to complain about too much. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. The aroma scared me into thinking it would too sweet, but that was not the case, the beer was balance very well with some sweetness and enough of a bitterness. The only knock I can find is a slight metallic taste at time in the beer. I don’t think I’d sit down with a bunch of these, but one or two of these I would find quite enjoyable at almost any time!

uwmgdman, Nov 03, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz brown bottle with a pretty neat design for the label.

The beer is a medium brown with a quickly collapsing tan head. Some bits of lace on the side of the glass.

The nose is of coco, some chocolate syrup and a bit of brown sugar. The nose is appetizing but borders on being a bit artificial.

The taste is solid and enjoyable. Here the chocolate tastes like the real deal. It is not over powering, too sweet or to artificial. You get some nice coco taste married to a decent lager. I’m surprised at how well this beer hangs together. I knew chocolate works well with stouts & porters, but was a bit skeptical about a lager.

Would I drink this all night? No, but it is a nice desert choice and is definitely more than a one off purchase.

Redrover, Dec 08, 2006
Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager from Miller Brewing Co.