Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager - Miller Brewing Co.

Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate LagerFrederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.50% ABV

Gold Medal winner entered as "Temptation Bock" at the 2005 GABF in the Herb and Spice Beer category.

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 09-18-2006)

spycow, Jan 17, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +25%

Dark bronze that becomes dusky ruby when backlit. The cap is impressive and is probably the nicest looking lid that I've ever seen on a Miller beer. It's toasted ecru in color, is frothily creamy, retreats slowly and leaves a few arcing streamers of soapy lace. This is pretty much how a chocolate lager ought to look.

I could smell chocolate as soon as I poured. It isn't until I get my nose over the glass, though, that I realize how wonderful the aroma actually is. The brewery has used both cocao nibs and chocolate malt and has created one of the most perfect chocolate beer noses that I've ever smelled. Are we sure this is a Miller product?

Although the flavor couldn't possibly measure up, it certainly makes a valiant effort. In my opinion, the three keys to a flavored beer are as follows: a quality base beer, a perfect amount of whatever flavor is being added, and a natural character to that flavor. Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager is a success because it satisfies all three criteria.

I'm amazed at how well this beer holds up to intense scrutiny. It tastes exactly like the liquid equivalent of a cocoa-dusted chocolate wafer stuck into a scoop of chocolate mousse. As well, there's just the right amount of sweet vs. bitter to keep the flavor from becoming wearing over time. I can imagine a lot of wives and girlfriends going gaga over this stuff.

The mouthfeel holds its own with ease. It's lagery silky smooth with a surprising amount of creaminess that doesn't even think of fading on the finish. Add a perfect amount of soft carbonation and we have a winner.

I couldn't be more stunned by the beer I just finished. I hate to say it, but my amazement has everything to do with who brewed it. Why can't they put this much care and skill into the rest of their lineup? Never mind, I already know the answer. Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager puts Michelob Celebrate Chocolate to shame and exposes it for the bilge water it is. If you despair of ever drinking a really good beer from BMC, give this one a whirl.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 26, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear, thinnish dark brown body. As for the head, well, no amount of swirling can seem to coax more than a few bubbles out of this beer.

Smell: Tootsie Rolls!

Taste: More Tootsie Rolls, but without all those God-forsaken wrappers and all that pesky chewing (what a chore)! All in all, a toothsome sweetness that's cloying to the point that I had to wash (and re-wash) the glass to get the smell and taste out.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Very mild carbonation.

Drinkability: How many sips will it take for me to reach the bottom of my glass? Let's find out. One, two-hoo, three. Three!

ChainGangGuy, Dec 23, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +25%

Wow! Stunningly cocoaish in the nose! Chocolatey in the flavor! It's like liquid chocolate! And it's only slightly beer-like. Chocolate's an aphrodisiac, right? I wonder if this would work on women at the bar? Seriously, I had higher expectations for this. It's really like a malternative, but with cocoa rather than some kind of fruit flavoring. Nice appearance and mouthfeel though, but I could hardly think that anyone could find it drinkable enough to have more than one. As for the drinkability of one though, hmm.... I did enjoy it for what it was. If I had a real sweet-tooth I think I might go for it! And I think it would pair really well with some foods. But then I'd question why you'd use beer, rather than something else chocolatey, or a chocolate flavored apertif, or just chocolate. Once again, it's stunningly chocolate-like, but with little else (some subtle wheaty malt, mild bitterness, very mild hop notes in back). I'd recommend trying it though, just so you could say you once had a beer that tasted just like chocolate. (My numbers for rating are totally hedonistic in nature).

NeroFiddled, Feb 17, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Dark brown appearance, clearer near the bottom, more mahogany/crimson-hued there, as well,...a decent head starts it off, then slims away to nil.

Aroma: cocoa powder, think Swiss Miss, or NEstle Quick, ...and that's it.

Taste: chocolatey, for the first sip, lingering to the middle of the tongue, rising to the roof of the mouth, staying, but not terrible impressive, considering the weakness of the body. A little slick and syrupy, some maple slipping in...
Tastes good, actually, and doesn't taste like a Miller product, much to my surprise.
Solid cocoa flavor, extraordinarily drinkable.
Inoffensive, but turns oddly sour and bitter near the middle, though.
I have the one bottle given by a friend, and I could have a few in a row, but not much more, I think I would quickly tire of it.
In short, this one's like a frosty chocolate milkshake, but with booze!

feloniousmonk, Nov 15, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -26.2%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a deep amber brown with a clear body and a creamy light chocolate tan head that last a good while.

S- This beer has a strong smell of hot cocoa with the background of lightly roasted chocolate nibs with a slight sweetness of milk chocolate. I think it is my imagination but I detect a hint of marshallow in the finish aswell. No matter how much I sniff I don't smell any malt.

T- This beer has a strong taste of cold hot cocoa with a slight tang of sweetness in the finish. As this beer warms the taste is more like a chocolate nougat.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel

D- This beer is very chocolaty but there are no qualites that taste like beer. I would put this in the malternative category but it is a nice malternative.

rhoadsrage, Oct 17, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Clear mahogany. Thin off beige head. The head doesn't last long and recedes to a thin collar that leaves little lace. Smells like a chocolate hard candy. That's it. Pretty intense aroma of chocolate. But that's it. I like hints of chocolate in my porters, coffee stouts, etc... But this is too much for me. It's a liquid version of those chocolate hard candies. Artificial aspect to this. And overly sweet. Not much of a semblence to beer here. I don't care for it.

Bighuge, Jan 15, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +21.3%

12oz single, probably overpriced at Riley's

appearance: poured into a wine glass in my luxurious room at the Cove in Lake Geneva...caramel mahogany body, light beige head with very little lacing, clear hue

smell: rich creamy chocolate, a touch buttery, smooth caramel, rather complex for a Miller

taste: certainly underrated due to the Miller factor...creamy dark chocolate, mocha java, roasted malt, cocoa powder, milky sweet, creamy caramel...i must say this is pretty enjoyable

mouthfeel: medium-light body, roasty and rather smooth

drinkability: good

dirtylou, Nov 28, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +32%

*I am rating this for what it is...a specialty chocolate lager...I realize this may not be for everyone but for the style it is quite nice..
---
Dark brown color....creamy texture in the mouth....medium bodied....huge sweet melted milk chocolate aroma....also some powdered hot cocoa mix..

Taste is sweet and big on the milk chocolate....at first it seems almost a little too sweet but it finishes very clean...drinks like a lager...might be a bit much for some people but I think they did a nice job with this. I am amazed there is no "real" chocolate added. It tastes and smells like there is..also some wheat malt in this...

To me this is a souped up schwartzbeir on chocolate steroids...I think this is a nice effort by Miller and one that can serve as an after dinner beer for many...even non-beer drinkers...

ZAP, Nov 07, 2006
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Aroma presents a chocolate of cocoa powder and softly of syrup. Somewhat sweet but a bit bitter too. I think it blends kinda' nicely. Seems like wheat background in there somewhere.
Pours brown and clear and shows garnet highlights in the light. Head is tan and creamy. It settles to a thin cap and shows lacing as emptied.
Smooth chocoately flavor that matches the aroma quit a bit. A mild dryness takes hold in the middle but isfairly short lived at the finish. Malt character shows subtlely in the middle and shows a quick sweetness up front, but both lend it a beer quality. Bitterness is very, very mild.
Feels is quite soft for a lager and is enhanced by extremely fine carbonation, although there are quite a bit of them bubbles and it creates too much of a filling quality. I'm assuming the wheat adds to the softness as well. Nonetheless, it has a nice feel that matches it's lager character.
In all honesty, this seems like a dessert lager. Lighter and softer than a ale, which might make it nice after a bigger meal, with or without a dessert. I can certainly understand how the chocolate can be too much for many who imbide (as by the end of the glass it gets to be enough), but used wisely, this could be a well placed beer in a planned out meal.
It's kinda' wild, in that I decided to have some vanilla ice cream as I drank this beer and the dessert brought out the bitterness of the beer (and it took on more coffee notes). What I noticed is that the beer is rich, but not necessarily sweet. The two went together quite well. Maybe I'll try a float with this beer next time.

garymuchow, Oct 22, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Beer poured a light shade of brown with minimal head that left very little lacing behind.

This beer did give off a very pleasing aroma full of milk chocolate and hints of malt in the background.

A solid effort here by Miller Brewing Company. Full of sweet milk chocolate, almost like drinking liquid chocolate, hints of malt, no hops I can detect but very satisfying. Mouthfeel is medium I would have preferred a beer this style to be much more full. Sweetness is somewhat cloying and would be difficult too drink more than one.

mcallister, Dec 18, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -2.4%

Transparent dark brown color with orange highlights. Middling tan head of little lasting-power. Weak laces, some short horizontal stripes. Flowery chocolate aroma, seems to have a candy bar sense. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is not excessive and actually subdued and well-done. Powerfully chocolate flavor, not a lot else to contradict the effect. A little too saccharine overall, elements of vanilla, sweetened milk, even some maple sugar give the brew an almost Tootsie Roll taste. Finishes slightly diminished in body. Not a bad idea, better than Michelob Celebrate (at least the original vanilla version), but its a little too much with too much of a sugary sweetness.

ADR, Oct 19, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -0.9%

matjack85, Jan 26, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz brown bottle with a pretty neat design for the label.

The beer is a medium brown with a quickly collapsing tan head. Some bits of lace on the side of the glass.

The nose is of coco, some chocolate syrup and a bit of brown sugar. The nose is appetizing but borders on being a bit artificial.

The taste is solid and enjoyable. Here the chocolate tastes like the real deal. It is not over powering, too sweet or to artificial. You get some nice coco taste married to a decent lager. I’m surprised at how well this beer hangs together. I knew chocolate works well with stouts & porters, but was a bit skeptical about a lager.

Would I drink this all night? No, but it is a nice desert choice and is definitely more than a one off purchase.

Redrover, Dec 08, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

Lightly hazed dark maroon body, nice looking white head. I can't believe this thing is made with only chocolate malts, the smell is exactly that of hershey's syrup, very sugary. The taste is very sweet at first, with chocolate start to finish. Slightly bitter finish, but the chocolate taste is absurd and overdone. Still, I have had worse, and it is a good try. Turn the chocolate down a bit, Miller.

TastyTaste, Oct 20, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

12oz bottle found hiding in my cellar. Let's see how it does. Pours into my glass a dark cola brown with hints of garnet poking through. A fizzy off white head appears and sticks around for awhile. Aromas begin with chocolate upfront, but it's a bit of an odd aroma akin to unsweetened cocoa powder. Crisp wheat grain in the background and that's about it. Aroma seems a bit artificial to me.

First sip brings a crisp wheat grain malt upfront met by a Tootsie Roll-esque chocolate flavor that again reminds me of cocoa powder. It flows down with some sweetness and a touch of caramel. Finishes with only a kiss of bitterness and a lingering chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with fast flowing carbonation that helps to add some creaminess to the body. This one goes down easy enough. It faults in the fact that there's really no way I'd want to drink more than one of these in a sitting. It's an interesting brew and I'm glad to see Miller trying something like this, but in the end this one is still a one trick pony.

orbitalr0x, Dec 29, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +25%

very dark brown colour, nearly opaque....with a thin fine tight head. lots of carbonation, giving it a cola appearance. sparse lace. swiss miss aroma...almost decadent in nature. chocolate milkshake flavour....imagine layered real milk chocolate, chocolate malted milkballs and chocolate malt. all in one beer. if you like chocolate and you like beer....this is the quitessential beverage of choice. the bit of wheat in the malt bill adds a layer of complexity, and it has just the hint of hop bitterness in the end to complete the trick. this lager has a beautiful mouthfeel and an above average body. temptation bock it is, and it's damn drinkable.

a fine effort from miller. this would be a great beer to bottle in magnums and sell during the holidays. i'd buy more.

budgood1, Dec 10, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Woody brown color with a larger fizzy tan head that receds to a thin layer. Very chocolaty smell. Kind of a cocoa aroma at first but then some milk chocolate and coffee hints afterwards. Flavor begins with a denser chocolate sweetness. Much more milky chocolatey than I expected. Lacks the bitter cocoa element I expected. A touch of coffee and nutty flavor but its light. An odd herbal element underneath and towards the back. Finish has a bit of an acidic twang and more chocolate sweetness but a bit faker this time around. Body is a touch too light and thin but there is a nice bit of creaminess to this beer. Really an odd beer. Good at first but it declined the further I drank. Worth a try.

granger10, Nov 22, 2006
3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

Wow. I never even knew this beer was produced until tonight. My neighbor bought several cases of this back in 2006 and has been cellaring/slowly drinking them since.

This beer surprises me for two reasons. First, Miller actually branched out and tried to produce something different (different for them, at least). Second, this beer weighs in at 5.5% ABV, my neighbor has cellared it for six years, and it still tastes pretty good.

Think of this as Choklat with a thinner mouthfeel and a more Hershey's/artifical chocolate taste. Overall, surprisingly a decent offering from Miller. Does it compare to some of the craft brew offerings, not really. However, this is a step up from the normal BMC products in my opinion, especially being six years old.

thebigredone, Jul 11, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

bzach, Oct 16, 2012
1.3/5  rDev -60.4%

Miller was serving this at the Great Lakes Brew Fest this year and i made the mistake of making eye contact with the dude serving it. He made me come try it because i think i looked like a miller drinker. poured hazlenut syrup brown with a similarly colored small head. smelled like cold hot chocolate and tasted the same. No beer presence detectable, just old, cold watery hot chocolate. who are they thrying to appeal to with this crap? little sugar craving children? suicidal dogs? needless to say i do not recommend this one.

aforbes10, Sep 18, 2006
2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer was brought to my tasting last night. Not surprisingly, it was one of the top contenders for drain fodder from our taste line-up.

The beer pours to a dark chocolatey caramel color with a thin off-white head. Looks alright, but I could stand to argue that I should deduct some points from the appearance because the smell is so horrid. If I can smell the fake-ass chocolate when I am looking at the glass from across the room, you know it's going to be bad. (Note: I didn't actually deduct from the appearance score... heheh)

The smell, as I've noted is of vanilla and chocolate extract, and LOTS of it. Smells like vanilla and cocoa powder. All I need is eggs, some flour, butter, and milk, then I could use this beer to make brownies from scratch. It was definitely overkill. The flavor isn't much better. The best thing it has going for it is that it doesn't have a stinky vegetal lager flavor. I still wouldn't be able to finish a whole bottle. I'd much rather eat a brownie.

neonbrown82, Oct 23, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -6.1%

pours a chocolate brown (no pun intended), with one finger of light brown head that retains for a minute or so. the beer is somewhat transparent for the color, with a dark ruby brown hue showing through in light.

smells strongly of chocolate. little else. hints of coffee, toffee, and a touch of graininess are present, but the chocolate overpowers them. just like smelling a liquidated hershey's bar.

taste is still chocolate, but with much more to work with. the roasted malts are right alongside the cocoa bean, with a hint of grain to add to the mix. the taste is sweet, but not as sweet as it smells.

aftertaste is mostly hops, with some chocolate residue. a good one for dessert.

mouthfeel is thick and smooth, like melted chocolate. the thickness adds to the richness of the brew, lowering the drinkability.

drinkability is not very good. this one is very sweet and rich, which can be great in certain circumstances, but multiple bottles would take a toll on the stomach.

overall, this is a wonderful beer for chocolate lovers. very smooth, thick and rich, it moves away from the term "beer" a bit, but is crafted well for its purposes.

botham, Jun 16, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours to a very carbonated deep black hue. Head is a dark tan that fades by the end of this sentence. Nose is a crazy sweet fudgy chocolate mash up. Super sweet as it enters the mouth with notes of coco, vanilla, and coffe that come off kind of like a toostie roll. Finish is realatively thin. Mouthfeel is a syrupy sweet hue. Really lacks complexity. Not a bad try though.

SPLITGRIN, Feb 26, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a dark brown with auburn highlights and a khaki head. Sweet cocoa nose blends the aroma of chocolate malt, chocolate milk and Hersey's chocolate syrup. The mouthfeel is medium with an airy carbonation. Tastes like sweet chocolate, cocoa and chocolate malt. Wheat malt and grain cereal toward the middle. There's a roasted nuttiness toward the back with more chocolate flavor in the finish. This tastes better cold. As the beer warms the flavor doesn't necessarily improve.

Worth a try and interesting to see Miller make an attempt at the craft beer drinker with a release like this. Much better that last holiday season's release of the boring and uninspired 1855 Celebration lager.

Notes- Gold medal winner at the 2005 GABF is displayed on the label. It also states it's a "Lager with cocao nibs and natural chocolate flavor".

Winter, Nov 25, 2006
Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager from Miller Brewing Co.