Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager - Miller Brewing Co.

Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate LagerFrederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.50% ABV

Gold Medal winner entered as "Temptation Bock" at the 2005 GABF in the Herb and Spice Beer category.

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 09-18-2006)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
objectivemonkey

3.7/5  rDev +12.8%

This beer actually frightened me. It was actually good. Lord help us.

Into a pint glass, poured a nice dark brown color with a sizable tan head, little lacing. Aroma is chocolate, chocolate malts. My lady is drinking some Swiss Miss hot chocolate right next to me, doens't smell all that much different. Get the theme?

Taste was startlingly good. Not great, but enough to raise an eyebrow. Chocolate malts again, syrupy a little bit, a bit candy like, so its kind of a humorous attempt at a real craft beer, but applaudable. it gets close.

Mouth is thin, ok carbonation, ok bitterness, I suppose I might be able to drink another, but I'll pass.

01-20-2007 02:55:10 | More by objectivemonkey
Bighuge

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Clear mahogany. Thin off beige head. The head doesn't last long and recedes to a thin collar that leaves little lace. Smells like a chocolate hard candy. That's it. Pretty intense aroma of chocolate. But that's it. I like hints of chocolate in my porters, coffee stouts, etc... But this is too much for me. It's a liquid version of those chocolate hard candies. Artificial aspect to this. And overly sweet. Not much of a semblence to beer here. I don't care for it.

01-15-2007 05:16:12 | More by Bighuge
uwpman

4.35/5  rDev +32.6%

Decided that reading reviews in Beer Advocate the magazine demanded reviewing a beer myself… I was just getting so darn thirsty reading the magazine.

Poured a deep chocolate color that was slightly red when held up to the light. Carbonation welled up from the depths of the glass fueling a 1 ½ finger head. This head was creamy wheat in color and stuck around for a while. Good lacing that clung to the side of the glass the whole way down.

As was expected the most prevalent smell is that of chocolate. I also detected wheat and some hazelnut smell was well. It smelled sweet and begged to be consumed.

The taste was delicious from square one. The chocolate taste was balanced by a slight bitterness. As I let it warm in my mouth I detected some fruit notes as well as a nutty quality.

My first reaction: “Oh my”. After being let down by Frederick Miller before, I was not let down here. The smooth brew slid over my mouth and down my throat. Along the way that good carbonation danced around joyfully. Its sweetness was balanced by its dry character. This probably has the best mouth feel I have experienced to date.

This beer makes for a wonderful Aperitif or a great finish to any meal or evening. It’s a little heavy so it fills you up pleasantly. I wouldn’t sit down and drink three or four in a session, but I can see myself drinking three or four a week in the evenings. I tip my hat here to Miller Brewing as they have made a fine beer.

01-09-2007 02:30:10 | More by uwpman
mcallister

3.2/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Beer poured a light shade of brown with minimal head that left very little lacing behind.

This beer did give off a very pleasing aroma full of milk chocolate and hints of malt in the background.

A solid effort here by Miller Brewing Company. Full of sweet milk chocolate, almost like drinking liquid chocolate, hints of malt, no hops I can detect but very satisfying. Mouthfeel is medium I would have preferred a beer this style to be much more full. Sweetness is somewhat cloying and would be difficult too drink more than one.

12-18-2006 21:32:33 | More by mcallister
scaliasux

3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance - Quite dark brown, but appears to be clear. Cocoa brown head, that retains surprisingly well. Not bad.

Smell - Mostly cocoa scent. Masks most of the beer aroma, but what's left does not mix perfectly with chocolate. I'm not sure that chocolate and beer is a good combination. Not artificial smelling.

Taste - Chocolate flavor is present, but not nearly so overpowering as the aroma would indicate. Flavors also meld better than the scent. Some darker sweet and caramelly malts are present. Ends up tasting almost like a chocolate sundae or a mildly dark chocolate milk. Beer character is subdued, but certainly not absent. I think this beer does a surprisingly good job of mixing beer and chocolate without losing either.

Mouthfeel - Too watery, probably because the base of this beer is a lighter lager. While maybe this is a necessary result, If I think about the mouthfeel, it detracts from the tasting experience.

Drinkability - I'm not a big fan of the combination, but its better than I expected. I've not had many spice/herb/vegetable beers and I'm not sure that I'll have many more, but this one meets the criteria well and appears to be of high quality. Perhaps the most impressive Miller product of tried. And it's got a classy-looking bottle.

12-18-2006 01:36:16 | More by scaliasux
budgood1

4.1/5  rDev +25%

very dark brown colour, nearly opaque....with a thin fine tight head. lots of carbonation, giving it a cola appearance. sparse lace. swiss miss aroma...almost decadent in nature. chocolate milkshake flavour....imagine layered real milk chocolate, chocolate malted milkballs and chocolate malt. all in one beer. if you like chocolate and you like beer....this is the quitessential beverage of choice. the bit of wheat in the malt bill adds a layer of complexity, and it has just the hint of hop bitterness in the end to complete the trick. this lager has a beautiful mouthfeel and an above average body. temptation bock it is, and it's damn drinkable.

a fine effort from miller. this would be a great beer to bottle in magnums and sell during the holidays. i'd buy more.

12-10-2006 00:12:23 | More by budgood1
Redrover

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz brown bottle with a pretty neat design for the label.

The beer is a medium brown with a quickly collapsing tan head. Some bits of lace on the side of the glass.

The nose is of coco, some chocolate syrup and a bit of brown sugar. The nose is appetizing but borders on being a bit artificial.

The taste is solid and enjoyable. Here the chocolate tastes like the real deal. It is not over powering, too sweet or to artificial. You get some nice coco taste married to a decent lager. I’m surprised at how well this beer hangs together. I knew chocolate works well with stouts & porters, but was a bit skeptical about a lager.

Would I drink this all night? No, but it is a nice desert choice and is definitely more than a one off purchase.

12-08-2006 02:09:42 | More by Redrover
beckje01

3.48/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Very dark with a thick white head.

S- slight chocolate with some malt.

T- Nice chocolate, some malt. Overall smooth and well balanced.

M- Smooth light but really just a bit to thin to be really enjoyable for the flavor.

D- Easy and very quick not much holding you back here, if you like the taste it will be gone in no time.

12-03-2006 23:20:40 | More by beckje01
BlackAngus

Indiana

4.35/5  rDev +32.6%

A - Reddish-brown color, almost no head.

S - Holy crap, this smells insanely good. I didn't want to like this, but if the smell indicates anything, this will be a buy-again. Smells like caramel and dark chocolate and maybe a hint of coffee.

T - Flavor isn't quite as strong as the aroma, but really tastes like chocolate. Dark chocolate, sweet, caramel, malty. I'm very impressed.

M - Medium body, lightly carbed. Clean.

D - I don't know what to say...I was prepared to hate this. But this is a very fine chocolate-flavored beer. It just goes to show that the big boys *CAN* produce decent beer if they choose to.

12-03-2006 01:38:29 | More by BlackAngus
MillRat

2.63/5  rDev -19.8%

Deceptively packaged with the Miller logo small and to the bottom of the label and 4-pack. Looks for all the world like a micro.

The beer pours a nice brown with glints of garnet and and beige head that disappears quickly. The aroma promises plenty of chocolate and caramel, but the flavor fails to quite live up to that promise. There's plenty of chocolate flavor, but it's more of the liquorish variety, like a cross between Tia Maria and Kahlua than the kilned malt and bitter dark cocoa flavor I've come to expect from a beers billed as chocolate. This could have something to do with it being a lager as opposed to the chocolate ales I'm more used to. Hops are nowhere to be found. The beer is bock-like in its mouthfeel. This is not a particularly heavy, hoppy, or sweet beer, but the chemical-like chocolate flavor lingers and keeps the next one in the fridge and out of my hand.

Certainly the most interesting Miller product I've had in a while, but that's faint praise.

12-01-2006 19:17:54 | More by MillRat
dirtylou

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +21.3%

12oz single, probably overpriced at Riley's

appearance: poured into a wine glass in my luxurious room at the Cove in Lake Geneva...caramel mahogany body, light beige head with very little lacing, clear hue

smell: rich creamy chocolate, a touch buttery, smooth caramel, rather complex for a Miller

taste: certainly underrated due to the Miller factor...creamy dark chocolate, mocha java, roasted malt, cocoa powder, milky sweet, creamy caramel...i must say this is pretty enjoyable

mouthfeel: medium-light body, roasty and rather smooth

drinkability: good

11-28-2006 03:00:58 | More by dirtylou
Winter

3.73/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a dark brown with auburn highlights and a khaki head. Sweet cocoa nose blends the aroma of chocolate malt, chocolate milk and Hersey's chocolate syrup. The mouthfeel is medium with an airy carbonation. Tastes like sweet chocolate, cocoa and chocolate malt. Wheat malt and grain cereal toward the middle. There's a roasted nuttiness toward the back with more chocolate flavor in the finish. This tastes better cold. As the beer warms the flavor doesn't necessarily improve.

Worth a try and interesting to see Miller make an attempt at the craft beer drinker with a release like this. Much better that last holiday season's release of the boring and uninspired 1855 Celebration lager.

Notes- Gold medal winner at the 2005 GABF is displayed on the label. It also states it's a "Lager with cocao nibs and natural chocolate flavor".

11-25-2006 04:53:16 | More by Winter
granger10

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Woody brown color with a larger fizzy tan head that receds to a thin layer. Very chocolaty smell. Kind of a cocoa aroma at first but then some milk chocolate and coffee hints afterwards. Flavor begins with a denser chocolate sweetness. Much more milky chocolatey than I expected. Lacks the bitter cocoa element I expected. A touch of coffee and nutty flavor but its light. An odd herbal element underneath and towards the back. Finish has a bit of an acidic twang and more chocolate sweetness but a bit faker this time around. Body is a touch too light and thin but there is a nice bit of creaminess to this beer. Really an odd beer. Good at first but it declined the further I drank. Worth a try.

11-22-2006 03:29:37 | More by granger10
feloniousmonk

3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Dark brown appearance, clearer near the bottom, more mahogany/crimson-hued there, as well,...a decent head starts it off, then slims away to nil.

Aroma: cocoa powder, think Swiss Miss, or NEstle Quick, ...and that's it.

Taste: chocolatey, for the first sip, lingering to the middle of the tongue, rising to the roof of the mouth, staying, but not terrible impressive, considering the weakness of the body. A little slick and syrupy, some maple slipping in...
Tastes good, actually, and doesn't taste like a Miller product, much to my surprise.
Solid cocoa flavor, extraordinarily drinkable.
Inoffensive, but turns oddly sour and bitter near the middle, though.
I have the one bottle given by a friend, and I could have a few in a row, but not much more, I think I would quickly tire of it.
In short, this one's like a frosty chocolate milkshake, but with booze!

11-15-2006 22:01:14 | More by feloniousmonk
Jredner

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

Big cocoa aroma leans more toward chocolate milk and hot chocolate than chocolat malt. The body is a dark a ruddy auburn brown and the head is firm, diminishing and bubbly. Thin lightly tart fore followed by dry cocoa notes in abundance with some mild juicy dark fruit notes int he finish. The finish is better than the fore as it isn’t so dry and forced. Not bad, but not worthy of praise as an attempt by miller to make a better beer, in my opinion. Though a good start I guess.

11-14-2006 21:15:01 | More by Jredner
deliriumtremens

1.2/5  rDev -63.4%

I have no idea how anyone tastes any chocolate in this beer. I'm a huge fan of Young's Double Choclate Stout, and Rogue's Chocolate Stout - both very good beers. This, however, is not chocolate.

I was willing to give this stuff a try, despite it being from Miller. After all, I don't entirely hate Leinenkugel and Michelob and Blue Moon - so just being owned by/produced by BMC doesn't necessarily make a beer crap. Horrible flavor and smell, on the other hand...

Here's the best way for me to describe the taste of this beer... Brew a pot of coffee. Preferrably cheap Folgers or something similar. Then put the open pot into the refrigerator. Go to the store and buy some cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, etc. Put these in the refrigerator as well. Don't put them in plastic bags, or the crisper drawer - just out on the shelf. Then wait about 3 months. At that time, throw away the blackened husks of decomposed vegetables, and drink the rotten grocery-infused stale coffee. Miller's "Chocolate" Lager tastes almost exactly like that.

11-12-2006 15:26:48 | More by deliriumtremens
mtullius

2.15/5  rDev -34.5%

Once this became available as a single at my beer store, I was willing to try it. It is a nice amber color, much darker than most Miller products.

The nose is so bizarre that it's probably worth buying one just to sample its weirdness. My first impression was Cocoa Puffs. My wife likened it to a scratch-n-sniff chocolate. Whatever the case, it's a highly artificial "chocolate" aroma. It is very very strong.

The flavor is pretty much the same: it's only chocolate in the sense that Qwik is chocolate. Very artificial, overly sweet, and it overwhelms any "beer" characteristics there might have been (this is probably no real loss-- it IS Miller, after all).

Hard to finish the bottle, but I soldiered through. Recommended only in a freak show kind of way.

11-11-2006 22:42:50 | More by mtullius
ZAP

4.33/5  rDev +32%

*I am rating this for what it is...a specialty chocolate lager...I realize this may not be for everyone but for the style it is quite nice..
---
Dark brown color....creamy texture in the mouth....medium bodied....huge sweet melted milk chocolate aroma....also some powdered hot cocoa mix..

Taste is sweet and big on the milk chocolate....at first it seems almost a little too sweet but it finishes very clean...drinks like a lager...might be a bit much for some people but I think they did a nice job with this. I am amazed there is no "real" chocolate added. It tastes and smells like there is..also some wheat malt in this...

To me this is a souped up schwartzbeir on chocolate steroids...I think this is a nice effort by Miller and one that can serve as an after dinner beer for many...even non-beer drinkers...

11-07-2006 05:45:06 | More by ZAP
Ricochet

3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

Miller specialty beers? Gee, I remember trying Miller 1855 as the last beer from Miller and, well... but since this was a dark beer , chocolate to boot, I figured what the hell. It looks very nice. Little amber light coming through and nice creamy head. Smell was wow. I love chocolate stouts and the chocolate/coffee scent of this beer , overpowering and meant to be that way and a fresh ground coffee scent that stood out. Nice! Very creamy on the mouth and washed with the chocolate aftertaste well.

This was a chocolate beer, it was bitter from the chocolate flavor, but the lager that it's mixed with seemed thin. The back end had a maple syrup flavor and maybe a touch of waxy crayon, but not enough to ruin the beer..

Well, Miller has a product for people that like chocolate/coffee in thier beers. I would have preferred this to be heartier, but since this is not a stout or porter, I'll rate it high for drinkability for what it is. It's a little high, 5.49 for a 4 pack, but I'd say the tastes are there.

11-05-2006 03:50:13 | More by Ricochet
uwmgdman

3.53/5  rDev +7.6%

I saw the 4 pack for $5.49 at Woodman’s and had to pick it up. I’ll admit I was quite skeptical about this beer, the whole BMC taking their crack at us beer snobs. The beer pours a deep brown into my glass with a thin off-white head that diminished a few sips into the beer and left a little lacing my glass. The nose of this beer is heavy on the chocolate, not chocolate malt, but like Hershey’s. The taste is an initial surge of chocolate followed by a modeate hop bitterness and hop flavor at the swallow and into the aftertaste. The beer is only moderately sweet, from the smell I was expecting cold hot chocolate but the taste is very much beer with a more subtle than expected chocolate taste. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and kind of fizzy, I think a more creamy texture would have been nice, but overall nothing to complain about too much. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. The aroma scared me into thinking it would too sweet, but that was not the case, the beer was balance very well with some sweetness and enough of a bitterness. The only knock I can find is a slight metallic taste at time in the beer. I don’t think I’d sit down with a bunch of these, but one or two of these I would find quite enjoyable at almost any time!

11-03-2006 02:03:51 | More by uwmgdman
MrVisegrips

3.03/5  rDev -7.6%

The pour is a deep dark brown with a medium head. The aroma is heavy on cocoa powder with light vanilla and caramel. Flavors follow that of the aroma. Not a particularly interesting beer but not bad either. Overall, this brew is worth a try. Some will like it more than many.

11-01-2006 03:11:51 | More by MrVisegrips
bucko

2.25/5  rDev -31.4%

The beer pours a translucent shade of brown with a small tan head. The aroma is that of cocoa powder and non-descript, slightly artificial sweetness. The flavor is much the same... cloying sweetness with an overblown "this one goes to 11" addition of chocolate. Step back Frederick! Ease off on the chocolate (or "chocolate" ?) man! Yikes. Mouthfeel and carbonation are pleasant and appropriate. Drinkability? No thanks. I had to pass the other three on to other willing subjects. Poor bastards.

10-29-2006 04:59:24 | More by bucko
milljs

Kentucky

4.43/5  rDev +35.1%

I recently split a bottle of this beer with my wife. We were both very pleased with it and are looking to find it again.
The appearance was a nice rich color, but the head could have remained a little longer. The smell was of chocolate, vanilla, malt, and a hint of beer. We both thoroughly enjoyed the taste. It was a bit sweet for a beer, but you have to rate it for what it is, and that is a chocolate beer. So for that, it was very pleasing.
Overall, this is a very good beer that I would highly recommend for holiday gatherings.

10-25-2006 19:15:45 | More by milljs
Golden2wenty1

3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. Worth at least a novelty try. Actually a pretty attractive bottle.

Pour: deep, dark hazelnut brown under a cm of tan head that fizzles rather quickly.

Nose: big time cocoa powder and vanilla extract notes, milky caramel and a metallic malt twinge in the finish. Actually rather pleasant.

Taste: wow, surprisingly inoffensive. Loads more cocoa powder, milk chocolate, some light berry notes, caramel with a faint grain finish reminding you this is still in the realm of beer. A coffee bitterness emerges as it warms a bit.

Feel: thinnish and fizzy, but still substantial in the mouth.

Drinkability/Overall: This is actually a pretty tasty beer. Not particularly beer-like, but the chocolate flavor doesn't have the artificial character that I would have assumed from Miller. Worth a try if you have an open mind for gimmicky beers or a love for chocolate.

10-24-2006 23:09:32 | More by Golden2wenty1
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer was brought to my tasting last night. Not surprisingly, it was one of the top contenders for drain fodder from our taste line-up.

The beer pours to a dark chocolatey caramel color with a thin off-white head. Looks alright, but I could stand to argue that I should deduct some points from the appearance because the smell is so horrid. If I can smell the fake-ass chocolate when I am looking at the glass from across the room, you know it's going to be bad. (Note: I didn't actually deduct from the appearance score... heheh)

The smell, as I've noted is of vanilla and chocolate extract, and LOTS of it. Smells like vanilla and cocoa powder. All I need is eggs, some flour, butter, and milk, then I could use this beer to make brownies from scratch. It was definitely overkill. The flavor isn't much better. The best thing it has going for it is that it doesn't have a stinky vegetal lager flavor. I still wouldn't be able to finish a whole bottle. I'd much rather eat a brownie.

10-23-2006 22:58:52 | More by neonbrown82
Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager from Miller Brewing Co.