Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager - Miller Brewing Co.

Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate LagerFrederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 09-18-2006

Gold Medal winner entered as "Temptation Bock" at the 2005 GABF in the Herb and Spice Beer category.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.67/5  rDev -18.8%

Deceptively packaged with the Miller logo small and to the bottom of the label and 4-pack. Looks for all the world like a micro.

The beer pours a nice brown with glints of garnet and and beige head that disappears quickly. The aroma promises plenty of chocolate and caramel, but the flavor fails to quite live up to that promise. There's plenty of chocolate flavor, but it's more of the liquorish variety, like a cross between Tia Maria and Kahlua than the kilned malt and bitter dark cocoa flavor I've come to expect from a beers billed as chocolate. This could have something to do with it being a lager as opposed to the chocolate ales I'm more used to. Hops are nowhere to be found. The beer is bock-like in its mouthfeel. This is not a particularly heavy, hoppy, or sweet beer, but the chemical-like chocolate flavor lingers and keeps the next one in the fridge and out of my hand.

Certainly the most interesting Miller product I've had in a while, but that's faint praise.

3.97/5  rDev +20.7%

12oz single, probably overpriced at Riley's

appearance: poured into a wine glass in my luxurious room at the Cove in Lake Geneva...caramel mahogany body, light beige head with very little lacing, clear hue

smell: rich creamy chocolate, a touch buttery, smooth caramel, rather complex for a Miller

taste: certainly underrated due to the Miller factor...creamy dark chocolate, mocha java, roasted malt, cocoa powder, milky sweet, creamy caramel...i must say this is pretty enjoyable

mouthfeel: medium-light body, roasty and rather smooth

drinkability: good

3.75/5  rDev +14%

Pours a dark brown with auburn highlights and a khaki head. Sweet cocoa nose blends the aroma of chocolate malt, chocolate milk and Hersey's chocolate syrup. The mouthfeel is medium with an airy carbonation. Tastes like sweet chocolate, cocoa and chocolate malt. Wheat malt and grain cereal toward the middle. There's a roasted nuttiness toward the back with more chocolate flavor in the finish. This tastes better cold. As the beer warms the flavor doesn't necessarily improve.

Worth a try and interesting to see Miller make an attempt at the craft beer drinker with a release like this. Much better that last holiday season's release of the boring and uninspired 1855 Celebration lager.

Notes- Gold medal winner at the 2005 GABF is displayed on the label. It also states it's a "Lager with cocao nibs and natural chocolate flavor".

3.57/5  rDev +8.5%

Woody brown color with a larger fizzy tan head that receds to a thin layer. Very chocolaty smell. Kind of a cocoa aroma at first but then some milk chocolate and coffee hints afterwards. Flavor begins with a denser chocolate sweetness. Much more milky chocolatey than I expected. Lacks the bitter cocoa element I expected. A touch of coffee and nutty flavor but its light. An odd herbal element underneath and towards the back. Finish has a bit of an acidic twang and more chocolate sweetness but a bit faker this time around. Body is a touch too light and thin but there is a nice bit of creaminess to this beer. Really an odd beer. Good at first but it declined the further I drank. Worth a try.

3.87/5  rDev +17.6%

Dark brown appearance, clearer near the bottom, more mahogany/crimson-hued there, as well,...a decent head starts it off, then slims away to nil.

Aroma: cocoa powder, think Swiss Miss, or NEstle Quick, ...and that's it.

Taste: chocolatey, for the first sip, lingering to the middle of the tongue, rising to the roof of the mouth, staying, but not terrible impressive, considering the weakness of the body. A little slick and syrupy, some maple slipping in...
Tastes good, actually, and doesn't taste like a Miller product, much to my surprise.
Solid cocoa flavor, extraordinarily drinkable.
Inoffensive, but turns oddly sour and bitter near the middle, though.
I have the one bottle given by a friend, and I could have a few in a row, but not much more, I think I would quickly tire of it.
In short, this one's like a frosty chocolate milkshake, but with booze!

3.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Big cocoa aroma leans more toward chocolate milk and hot chocolate than chocolat malt. The body is a dark a ruddy auburn brown and the head is firm, diminishing and bubbly. Thin lightly tart fore followed by dry cocoa notes in abundance with some mild juicy dark fruit notes int he finish. The finish is better than the fore as it isn’t so dry and forced. Not bad, but not worthy of praise as an attempt by miller to make a better beer, in my opinion. Though a good start I guess.

1.23/5  rDev -62.6%

I have no idea how anyone tastes any chocolate in this beer. I'm a huge fan of Young's Double Choclate Stout, and Rogue's Chocolate Stout - both very good beers. This, however, is not chocolate.

I was willing to give this stuff a try, despite it being from Miller. After all, I don't entirely hate Leinenkugel and Michelob and Blue Moon - so just being owned by/produced by BMC doesn't necessarily make a beer crap. Horrible flavor and smell, on the other hand...

Here's the best way for me to describe the taste of this beer... Brew a pot of coffee. Preferrably cheap Folgers or something similar. Then put the open pot into the refrigerator. Go to the store and buy some cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, green peppers, etc. Put these in the refrigerator as well. Don't put them in plastic bags, or the crisper drawer - just out on the shelf. Then wait about 3 months. At that time, throw away the blackened husks of decomposed vegetables, and drink the rotten grocery-infused stale coffee. Miller's "Chocolate" Lager tastes almost exactly like that.

2.17/5  rDev -34%

Once this became available as a single at my beer store, I was willing to try it. It is a nice amber color, much darker than most Miller products.

The nose is so bizarre that it's probably worth buying one just to sample its weirdness. My first impression was Cocoa Puffs. My wife likened it to a scratch-n-sniff chocolate. Whatever the case, it's a highly artificial "chocolate" aroma. It is very very strong.

The flavor is pretty much the same: it's only chocolate in the sense that Qwik is chocolate. Very artificial, overly sweet, and it overwhelms any "beer" characteristics there might have been (this is probably no real loss-- it IS Miller, after all).

Hard to finish the bottle, but I soldiered through. Recommended only in a freak show kind of way.

4.32/5  rDev +31.3%

*I am rating this for what it is...a specialty chocolate lager...I realize this may not be for everyone but for the style it is quite nice..
Dark brown color....creamy texture in the mouth....medium bodied....huge sweet melted milk chocolate aroma....also some powdered hot cocoa mix..

Taste is sweet and big on the milk chocolate....at first it seems almost a little too sweet but it finishes very clean...drinks like a lager...might be a bit much for some people but I think they did a nice job with this. I am amazed there is no "real" chocolate added. It tastes and smells like there is..also some wheat malt in this...

To me this is a souped up schwartzbeir on chocolate steroids...I think this is a nice effort by Miller and one that can serve as an after dinner beer for many...even non-beer drinkers...

3.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Miller specialty beers? Gee, I remember trying Miller 1855 as the last beer from Miller and, well... but since this was a dark beer , chocolate to boot, I figured what the hell. It looks very nice. Little amber light coming through and nice creamy head. Smell was wow. I love chocolate stouts and the chocolate/coffee scent of this beer , overpowering and meant to be that way and a fresh ground coffee scent that stood out. Nice! Very creamy on the mouth and washed with the chocolate aftertaste well.

This was a chocolate beer, it was bitter from the chocolate flavor, but the lager that it's mixed with seemed thin. The back end had a maple syrup flavor and maybe a touch of waxy crayon, but not enough to ruin the beer..

Well, Miller has a product for people that like chocolate/coffee in thier beers. I would have preferred this to be heartier, but since this is not a stout or porter, I'll rate it high for drinkability for what it is. It's a little high, 5.49 for a 4 pack, but I'd say the tastes are there.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

I saw the 4 pack for $5.49 at Woodman’s and had to pick it up. I’ll admit I was quite skeptical about this beer, the whole BMC taking their crack at us beer snobs. The beer pours a deep brown into my glass with a thin off-white head that diminished a few sips into the beer and left a little lacing my glass. The nose of this beer is heavy on the chocolate, not chocolate malt, but like Hershey’s. The taste is an initial surge of chocolate followed by a modeate hop bitterness and hop flavor at the swallow and into the aftertaste. The beer is only moderately sweet, from the smell I was expecting cold hot chocolate but the taste is very much beer with a more subtle than expected chocolate taste. The mouthfeel is a bit thin and kind of fizzy, I think a more creamy texture would have been nice, but overall nothing to complain about too much. Overall I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. The aroma scared me into thinking it would too sweet, but that was not the case, the beer was balance very well with some sweetness and enough of a bitterness. The only knock I can find is a slight metallic taste at time in the beer. I don’t think I’d sit down with a bunch of these, but one or two of these I would find quite enjoyable at almost any time!

3.03/5  rDev -7.9%

The pour is a deep dark brown with a medium head. The aroma is heavy on cocoa powder with light vanilla and caramel. Flavors follow that of the aroma. Not a particularly interesting beer but not bad either. Overall, this brew is worth a try. Some will like it more than many.

2.26/5  rDev -31.3%

The beer pours a translucent shade of brown with a small tan head. The aroma is that of cocoa powder and non-descript, slightly artificial sweetness. The flavor is much the same... cloying sweetness with an overblown "this one goes to 11" addition of chocolate. Step back Frederick! Ease off on the chocolate (or "chocolate" ?) man! Yikes. Mouthfeel and carbonation are pleasant and appropriate. Drinkability? No thanks. I had to pass the other three on to other willing subjects. Poor bastards.

4.42/5  rDev +34.3%

I recently split a bottle of this beer with my wife. We were both very pleased with it and are looking to find it again.
The appearance was a nice rich color, but the head could have remained a little longer. The smell was of chocolate, vanilla, malt, and a hint of beer. We both thoroughly enjoyed the taste. It was a bit sweet for a beer, but you have to rate it for what it is, and that is a chocolate beer. So for that, it was very pleasing.
Overall, this is a very good beer that I would highly recommend for holiday gatherings.

3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Picked up a single at Riley's here in Madison. Worth at least a novelty try. Actually a pretty attractive bottle.

Pour: deep, dark hazelnut brown under a cm of tan head that fizzles rather quickly.

Nose: big time cocoa powder and vanilla extract notes, milky caramel and a metallic malt twinge in the finish. Actually rather pleasant.

Taste: wow, surprisingly inoffensive. Loads more cocoa powder, milk chocolate, some light berry notes, caramel with a faint grain finish reminding you this is still in the realm of beer. A coffee bitterness emerges as it warms a bit.

Feel: thinnish and fizzy, but still substantial in the mouth.

Drinkability/Overall: This is actually a pretty tasty beer. Not particularly beer-like, but the chocolate flavor doesn't have the artificial character that I would have assumed from Miller. Worth a try if you have an open mind for gimmicky beers or a love for chocolate.

2.96/5  rDev -10%

This beer was brought to my tasting last night. Not surprisingly, it was one of the top contenders for drain fodder from our taste line-up.

The beer pours to a dark chocolatey caramel color with a thin off-white head. Looks alright, but I could stand to argue that I should deduct some points from the appearance because the smell is so horrid. If I can smell the fake-ass chocolate when I am looking at the glass from across the room, you know it's going to be bad. (Note: I didn't actually deduct from the appearance score... heheh)

The smell, as I've noted is of vanilla and chocolate extract, and LOTS of it. Smells like vanilla and cocoa powder. All I need is eggs, some flour, butter, and milk, then I could use this beer to make brownies from scratch. It was definitely overkill. The flavor isn't much better. The best thing it has going for it is that it doesn't have a stinky vegetal lager flavor. I still wouldn't be able to finish a whole bottle. I'd much rather eat a brownie.

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Aroma presents a chocolate of cocoa powder and softly of syrup. Somewhat sweet but a bit bitter too. I think it blends kinda' nicely. Seems like wheat background in there somewhere.
Pours brown and clear and shows garnet highlights in the light. Head is tan and creamy. It settles to a thin cap and shows lacing as emptied.
Smooth chocoately flavor that matches the aroma quit a bit. A mild dryness takes hold in the middle but isfairly short lived at the finish. Malt character shows subtlely in the middle and shows a quick sweetness up front, but both lend it a beer quality. Bitterness is very, very mild.
Feels is quite soft for a lager and is enhanced by extremely fine carbonation, although there are quite a bit of them bubbles and it creates too much of a filling quality. I'm assuming the wheat adds to the softness as well. Nonetheless, it has a nice feel that matches it's lager character.
In all honesty, this seems like a dessert lager. Lighter and softer than a ale, which might make it nice after a bigger meal, with or without a dessert. I can certainly understand how the chocolate can be too much for many who imbide (as by the end of the glass it gets to be enough), but used wisely, this could be a well placed beer in a planned out meal.
It's kinda' wild, in that I decided to have some vanilla ice cream as I drank this beer and the dessert brought out the bitterness of the beer (and it took on more coffee notes). What I noticed is that the beer is rich, but not necessarily sweet. The two went together quite well. Maybe I'll try a float with this beer next time.

2.91/5  rDev -11.6%

Lightly hazed dark maroon body, nice looking white head. I can't believe this thing is made with only chocolate malts, the smell is exactly that of hershey's syrup, very sugary. The taste is very sweet at first, with chocolate start to finish. Slightly bitter finish, but the chocolate taste is absurd and overdone. Still, I have had worse, and it is a good try. Turn the chocolate down a bit, Miller.

3.2/5  rDev -2.7%

Transparent dark brown color with orange highlights. Middling tan head of little lasting-power. Weak laces, some short horizontal stripes. Flowery chocolate aroma, seems to have a candy bar sense. Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is not excessive and actually subdued and well-done. Powerfully chocolate flavor, not a lot else to contradict the effect. A little too saccharine overall, elements of vanilla, sweetened milk, even some maple sugar give the brew an almost Tootsie Roll taste. Finishes slightly diminished in body. Not a bad idea, better than Michelob Celebrate (at least the original vanilla version), but its a little too much with too much of a sugary sweetness.

2.43/5  rDev -26.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a deep amber brown with a clear body and a creamy light chocolate tan head that last a good while.

S- This beer has a strong smell of hot cocoa with the background of lightly roasted chocolate nibs with a slight sweetness of milk chocolate. I think it is my imagination but I detect a hint of marshallow in the finish aswell. No matter how much I sniff I don't smell any malt.

T- This beer has a strong taste of cold hot cocoa with a slight tang of sweetness in the finish. As this beer warms the taste is more like a chocolate nougat.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel

D- This beer is very chocolaty but there are no qualites that taste like beer. I would put this in the malternative category but it is a nice malternative.

1.33/5  rDev -59.6%

Miller was serving this at the Great Lakes Brew Fest this year and i made the mistake of making eye contact with the dude serving it. He made me come try it because i think i looked like a miller drinker. poured hazlenut syrup brown with a similarly colored small head. smelled like cold hot chocolate and tasted the same. No beer presence detectable, just old, cold watery hot chocolate. who are they thrying to appeal to with this crap? little sugar craving children? suicidal dogs? needless to say i do not recommend this one.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Frederick Miller's Classic Chocolate Lager from Miller Brewing Co.