Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

Reviews: 1,107 | Hads: 4,133
Reviews by ThePaintedGrey:
2.22/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz. can poured into pint glass.

A: Pale and straw-yellow colored. Damn near transparent. Started with a two-finger head, but that reduced to maybe a pinky-size by the time it started nearing my mouth. Minimal to no lacing to speak of. After about two sips the head is nearly non-existent. Very soda-like.

S: Very, very difficult to put any specifics here. Beneath the stale, metallic scent is a very slight grain aroma. I might be detecting some corn... Definitely not picking up on the hops. Overall, weak. Maybe the bottled variety might fare better in this category, as I assume the offensive metallic scent of the can wouldn't be an issue.

T: The head tastes of nothing more than metallic can flavor. Beneath the horrid-tasting head, there's a bit of grain flavor, a touch of bland sweetness. I'm detecting the faintest hint of bitterness on the back of my tongue. Finishes rather... well... flavorless.

M: Average carbonation. Thin-bodied. Drinks sort of like a soft drink. Nothing to really comment on here. Moving along.

O: This is essentially adult soda. It's light, it doesn't fill you up, and it's really easy to drink when you're standing around at a baseball game with 5 of your closest friends in the heat of a mid-summer night. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy this beer, and I probably wouldn't even make it my second choice... But, if your only other choices are Bud Light, Coors, or another similar light lager, Miller Lite wins by a landslide. It's the quintessential "lets pound down 9 or 10 of these bad boys!" light lager. (1,552 characters)

2.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 24oz large can (No. 13) slapped with lots of witty marketing jive, and a wide mouth opening. No freshness date.

Appearance: Very pale yellow in colour with a fine wispy head of carbonation.

Smell: Clean, semi-floral to the nose with hints of grain.

Taste: Light graininess, with hints of grain husk and sweetness. The tight carbonation mingles with a slight steely flavour, to produce some sharpness and mouth appeal. The hops come across lemony, with the slightest of tea-like characteristics. As the brew warms, notes of dimethyl sulfide (cooked corn) become noticeable. Finishes mostly clean with a metallic residual flavour in the back of the mouth and tongue.

Notes: As far as lite beers go, it's not horrible, but it is still a lite beer ... why bother drinking this on a normal basis? (817 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I feel like a fool for never reviewing this, as I have had 10,456 of them. If I give it a bad review, it will make me look like a masochist. One of things I like about this beer is that I can buy a 30 pack at Costco for 45 cents. Once I get them home I find them to be either a nice way to start the night (as they don't count as a drink) or a great way to end the night (don't waste a good drink if you can't stand up). This beer is liquid and not poisonous which gives it good points. It has little taste and makes me pee a lot which is bad. Overall I will likely buy 500 more of them this year, so I give it a thumbs up (628 characters)

2.36/5  rDev +1.7%

This the usual light brewski, same as the rest ... one of the better light beers out there for sure if you are a stickiler to styles. Light bodied, thin lace and minimal head retention. Lots of corn in the aroma and flavor, finishes pretty damn dry. More or less a sad excuse for beer. (285 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +67.2%

Not a big fan of light beers, but this one might be the best light beer on the market. I always get a more crisp refreshing finish out of this beer. I hate the dry finish of Bud Light and the watery taste i get from a Coors light. Miller Lite is a good session or lawnmower beer. (279 characters)

I have never drank ball sweat in a can, but I imagine this is what that would taste like. Funky, salty, but otherwise lifeless.

Will not seek out, purchase, or drink again. (173 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer was poured from the bottle (new white vintage throwback label) at the Andiamo banquet hall in Warren, Michigan into a generic stange. It showed a shimmering bright yellow coloring and produced a stark white head of quickly thinning foam. This stood a finger and a half tall at its conception, but quickly faded into a film across the top of the liquid. Lacing was globular and sparse. No haze or sediment was noted, and carbonation appeared to be highly active. The aroma was simple and straightforward, offering biscuity pale and harsh adjuncty grain, dried wheat and straw, unsalted table crackers, basic lager yeast metallics, glass, stamp adhesive, burlap and gauze, skunky and old grassy hop airs, dried twigs and leafs, and heaps upon heaps of cheap and generic cereal grain grit and toast. The flavoring, too, followed suit as expected. Notes of bland adjuncty and Pilsner grain, toasted almonds, white printer paper, cleaner wheaty maltiness, dust, harsh yeasty metallics, foil, lemon rind, sweat, burlap, light green grassy hops, pound cake sweetness, straw, and dried mushrooms flood the palate. The body is light and washes the flavoring out, and carbonation is high, bubbling actively on the palate. Each sip gives lightly appropriate slurp, smack, cream, froth, and crisp finishing pop. The foam around the mouth was robust, leaving the palate prickled, dried, and somewhat puckered. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank like water.

Overall, what really is there to discuss about this beer?! It is simple. It is light. It is intently mild in flavoring. Obviously a popular beer for the masses, we've had this one countless times before. The occasion for rating came at a friend's wedding, and it was used mainly as a palate cleanser between much more satisfying nips of delicious bourbon. (1,834 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to my brother for graciously sharing this gem with me over Memorial Day weekend. Its been such a long time since ive tried any of this swill that it felt good to take a step back, reset the palate and just appreciate the glory of craft beer which I have been spoiled with all these years. My review may be biased because I was in a good mood while my team was crushing the opponent during a fierce bout of backyard horseshoes.

Decanted from a half barrel into a oversized clear plastic picture and then again finally into my red solo cup. The brew is a pristine piss yellow with a sudsy white froth that lasts atop. The smell is slightly corn-like and nothing else. The taste has mild sweetness, corn again, mild sulfur/carbonics and water. The feel is light, super cold (which I hear is indicadive of the style) and moderately carbonated from the double decanting. If I was forced to drink macro crap, I could tolerate this but im not drinking it if there are other choices available...like water. (1,006 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

As average as they come but still the best of the three major American lights (Coors, Bud, Miller) (98 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +97.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I thought Miller Lite was actually a very good beer the first time I tried it in a small bar in Menominee, Michigan.It was served in a standard 12 ounce beer glass. I really liked the taste of the beer. I was able to notice the flavor of the hops within the Lite beer. The mouthfeel and texture were very smooth. I will have this beer again in the future. (355 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -24.6%

2.39/5  rDev +3%

Appearance – This one is just right for the style. It is light yellow in color and clear with some good carbonation. The head is big and white as the driven snow.

Smell – The nasty grain is thankfully faint, yet still can’t be ignored. I can actually smell some alcohol in this 4% ABV beer somehow.

Taste – This tastes like grain-flavored soda pop. There’s a pukish sweetness at the end that does indeed remind me of that sickening semi-sweet taste you get in your mouth after throwing up.

Mouthfeel – Light bodied of course and well-carbonated.

Drinkability – I got this out of the “guest tap” at the Flying Pig in Everett and couldn’t even finish the four ounce taster that they mistakenly brought me. (725 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

3.61/5  rDev +55.6%

Less of a beer and more of a way of life/business mandate for me. My occupation demands that I drink this often and in mass. When I’m out with work people (even at a good beer bar) I frequently have to stick to ML or perhaps High Life in order to keep up. Work sometimes dictates that I drink more than 10 beers in a night and I can down 10 MLs and still be sober. Try that with any craft and you’re toast. I don’t usually mind it too much, ML in the bottle makes for a decent session. If it’s ice cold and in a can it’s reminiscent of a camping or fishing trip for me. Either way it’s ok. On tap is a different story. ML on tap is just piss and indigestion in a glass. Forget about it even when it’s free. ML looks like corn colored piss. It tastes like water and pilsner malt when ice cold and corn syrup when cold to warm. It smells the same as it tastes. It doesn’t give much of a buzz. It IS LESS FILLING! It’s way better than bud light, that’s for damned sure. Since we are supposed to review “within the style” here on BA, I’ve gotta give this beer props. It’s about the best you can do in this pathetic style. (1,131 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

The best way to tackle a Miller Lite is to put it in the freezer until it's just about to freeze (don't actually let it freeze, though - nobody likes ice crystals in their beer). When it's a few degrees above freezing point, take it out of the freezer and try to drink it as fast as you can. Don't worry about brain freeze - the stinging in your head will only aid in distraction from the pain being unleashed upon your palate.

In all seriousness, it's hard to accurately rate something that's really this awful. It's a realm that's so far away from what we know as "beer" - and NOT in a good way (like as in Sam Adam's Utopias). Miller Lite is to beer what the Chicago Cubs are to baseball. Sure, there are people who pretend to like it, but most people don't actually enjoy it. And smarter people have move on to bigger and better things.

Miller Lite looks like a somewhat hydrated man's piss with even less foam. Smells like grains, metal, corn, and musk. Tastes like grains, metal, corn, musk. Unless you drink it ice cold - then it doesn't really taste like much at all (and that's the best thing you can hope for). Don't let this baby get too warm, or it'll be a long night. Mouth feel is like seltzer water and the drinkability is on par with lemonade.

I hate bashing for the sake of bashing, but there is really no reason to ever buy this beer. (1,356 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -46.1%

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

1.26/5  rDev -45.7%

Look, we all know what this tastes like and even if we don't we can easily find out for like a dollar. So why would I bother to review it? Because damnit, I had to drink it so I might as well complain about it.

With so many family gatherings and friendly get-togethers taking place this holiday season, its inevitable that someone will eventually offer you this beer, or one of its ilk. So why not simply refuse? Maybe you don't want to appear the teetotaler in front of a bunch of party animals. Maybe someone's idea of how hospitable they are being is directly related to how much you injest while in their home, and you don't want to offend. Maybe you are surrounded by folks you see once a year and you just want something to make this situation bareable and give you something to do with your figety hands.

Whatever the reason, we give in. We take it. What we find inside that can is watery. It looks like pee, has wierd vegetabale smells, and stings the mouth with its soda-ish carbonation. However, perhaps not unlike the company we find ourselves surrounded by this time of year, we endure it for the sake of togetherness. We are reminded that giving is truly about sacrifice, and that can maybe make us feel a little warmer in the gut. While this feeling is nice in its own way, once a year is, decidedly, enough. (1,329 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -24.6%

2.7/5  rDev +16.4%

Miller Lite in the bottle light lager style.

A- Pours pale yellow color with soft white foamy head that falls in the brew leaving no lacing at all.

S- Starchy corn scents are upfront followed by a mild malt smell.

T- Taste is alright for the style with smooth corn flavor, watered down malts and maybe a little hop bitterness at the end.

M-D- Smooth on the tongue but a forced dry feel make this kind of hard to swallow. Drinkablity is good for a long night of drinking. (474 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +41.4%

12oz. Vortex (tm) bottle poured into a fluted pilsner glass (really). Drink by date of Nov. 22 2010.

It pours a very pale straw, some may call it urine colored, but not that first morning urine. That's way too dark. It is capped by a brilliant white head that lasts for 30 seconds or so before dying into a small layer. Tiny champagne bubbles are constantly streaming from the bottom of the glass.

The nose is very dull and bland. Not so much going on there; maybe a little grainyness but pretty unoffensive. It is neither pleasant or bad, completely average is the best descripter I can use.

The taste is bland once again but that is the way it is designed. Some grainyness with a touch of sweet finish. I want to say I get a hint of corn but that could be the power of suggestion since I know it is brewed with it. Overall just like the smell it is neither good nor bad, just average in my mind for what a light lager should be.

The crispness and dryness of this beer is a major redeaming quality. This in turn it makes for a pretty high drinkability. I have many times drank more than I should have of this beer and have never felt full. I can not say the same after some craft beer binges.

This is my first light lager review, and since I rarely drink them I find it hard to accuratly judge them on their merrits. I have been planning a blind light lager tasting for a while now. I think that is really the only way I'll be able to actually judge these beers rather than downgrading them based purely on their style or the brewery that brews it. (1,554 characters)

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.