Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,099 | Hads: 4,100
2.31/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear faint gold, very strawlike. Foamy, white head with poor retention. Lacing is runny, light, and dissipates quickly.

Smell: Intensely malty. Bread and cereal aromas are unmistakable. Very faint presense of hops in the scent. Not inviting, but not necessarily repulsive.

Taste: Bready, with a kind of stale maltiness. Next to no hops evident at all. The taste is subtly metallic and industrial. Miller Lite's simplicity of flavor can be a attribute and a detriment.

Mouthfeel: Thin, light-bodied, and fizzy. Leaves a mild burning sensation for a moment. Feels acidic.

Drinkability: Light and not at all filling, this beer is good for mass consumption. An unpleasant aftertaste tends to accumulate following several beers, but eventually this one goes down easy like its close cousin, water. (834 characters)

2.62/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours an extra clear light straw. Thin and soapy head with poor retention and scarce lacing. Very light grain aroma and a whisper of grassy hops. The flavor is too light even for the style, watered down grain adjunct and a hint of spicy hops in the aftertaste. The high carbonation and light body produce a smooth but boring mouthfeel and the ultra light flavor leaves a clean but bland finish. Very easy to drink; but substituting drinkability for flavor doesn't score any points with me. (489 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +68.1%

This is the one that never leaves my fridge. I know it's not the creme de la creme of beers, but for an American style light/lite brew...it's what I consider the best. I do think it has more flavor than most light beers...not near as wattery. It's on my list as a great drinkable beer. I have other beers higher on my list...imports and micro brews, but again... it never leaves my fridge. Pretty darn good beer in my humble opinion. (433 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -47%

I do enjoy the clever Miller Lite ads! My rationale was, "If they are amidst such a massive ad campaign, the quality must be WAY up!", a la, MGD in the late 80's and early 90's. Boy was I wrong.

I bought a sample pack (12) of cans at a QFC one day and was unable to finish more than a few before I realized I was drinking an ad campaign made of water, stale, dried out hops and moldy barley (plus the cattle fodder they add).

Appearance - looks like someone dipped a yellow crayon in warm water. Fizzy, pastel; utterly bland.

Smell - I hate the smell of corn in a beer; I hate the smell of this beer.

Taste - I managed to gag down a few because I chilled it to 29 degrees - which sufficiently numbed my taste buds (sorry, again, guys). Tastes like paint thinner and bottle caps mixed with fermented corn.

Mouthfeel - ashamed and violated

Drinkability - I have a case of Billy Beer from 1977 that is more drinkable. To paraphrase the immortal Snoopy, this beer wouldn't be drunk by a starving cat in a lifeboat. (1,029 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a very light straw yellow with a fizzy, one finger head of white bubbles. Head quickly drops to just a ring, with no lacing. Carbonation is very effervescent.

Aroma, such as it is, is DMS (cooked corn), light pils malt, and no detectable hops. The smell actually vanishes after 5 minutes.

First flavor is very thin pils malt, cooked corn, kind of chalky, watery, and really flavorless. Aftertaste is very short and empty.

Mouthfeel is watery thin with sharp carbonation, not very pleasant.

This is just a mess. Even for style, it's pretty bad. The main character is DMS, sulphury and thin. Insipid, vapid, and anorexic describe this "beer" very well. (669 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +53%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Well, not light, but it is still being in the avoiding beers field. I would bet it used to be better but the ambiscious made the owners to low the quallity. The foam is almost unexistant and did not really got the point about the difference with some other beers. At least is not that discusting as some other macro lagers. (323 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -8.6%

Water with a couple drops of yellow food coloring. Head is a cloud of white and makes rice crispy noises.

Aroma is malts and yeast, your typical macro scent. No curveball here.

Tastes light as it suggests. Like carbonated water with a yeasty funk to it. It doesn't taste clean. Aftertaste is metallic.

Strictly for beerbongs and kegstands. (349 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -5.2%

Ugh, I've had this more times that I wish to count, I had 2 24 oz tonight.

A - Pours straw with a head that fades off as quickly as it came, what's lacing?

S - Well, I'm getting some corn, alcohol and... well thats it.

T - it's your typical macro lager, some fizz, some alcohol, and an unplaceable grain.

M - Fizz water, if you like carbonation on the mouth then buy, if you don't, well then you get the idea.

D - Well, this is where it goes up, it's a beer that is very, very low in ABV, and after 4-5 you don't know the difference anyway.

This beer used to be my choice prior to my conversion, I've had it twice since, and it has been awful, that speaks volumes. (682 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -26.3%

Had a few cans left over from a recent party. [No matter how sophisticated you and your friends might be, somebody always asks for a "lite beer" when we throw a party; so I oblige them].

This beer is little more than carbonated water. Nice appearance in a glass but no taste to speak of. Not difficult to drink but not a substitute for real beer. (349 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +15.1%

This is my old standby. I drank this beer before transitioning to dark beer. I wouldn't say this is a bad beer but it is certainly no Oatmeal Stout. A large sect af people drink these macro's so it is clear that it is drinkable. Those of us fortunate enough to appreciate a dark beer don't care much for light beer as an everyday beer. But if macro's place is to be readily available at a reasonable cost then I think this beer fills that place nicely. (452 characters)

2.77/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Clear, medium-light straw with a large, white, foamy head that quickly diminished. Only a little lacing early.

Smell: Very mild lemon and grass… not much else.

Taste: Hay, white bread and corn. A little sweet with a short but pleasantly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin body, watery texture, lively carbonation

Drinkability: Nothing great but not horrible either. Probably above average for a macro light beer… not that that really means anything. (471 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

poured a light yellow color with monstrous white puffy head. Smell is very non-offensive with only a slight sweetness noted. Taste is non-spectactular with only a slight sweetness present. Finished wet and refreshing. Good spacer. At least it doesn't taste bad. (261 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +14.2%

For a light beer, it isn't horrible. For a mass produced light beer, it could be a lot worse. The color is a darker yellow, almost gold, than I expected. Not to watery looking. Soapy head on top. The smell is beery and that's it. Not repulsive but no character.

The taste is tinny but smooth. A typical lager taste without any bells and whistles. Very smooth and goes down easily. Not so unimpressed as I expected and would choose this over other macros. (457 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -1.7%

I'm ashamed to say that I actually drank Miller Lite, but it was the least of the evils at the party I attended last night. And as I was drinking my thought process was "Well, it's swill, but at least now I can review it and say exactly why it's swill." So here goes:

Appearance: Pale yellow, no head, due to the fact that I was given a "stadium pour," but for that I blame the ignorant bartender.

Smell: Honestly, this stuff doesn't smell like much at all. There's a vague beer-like aroma if you stick your nose in real close, but I think the lack of head really killed any smell the beer might have had.

Taste: Miller Lite is inoffensive. I will say that much. There was light hop and malt flavor, but the strongest thing I could taste was the corn adjunct used, and that's present in Miller Genuine Draft too. As previously stated, inoffensive, but, as such, rather boring. Kinda like bland food--there's nothing truly wrong with it, it's just unimpressive.

Mouthfeel: Unimpressive to say the least. If this stuff didn't taste vaguely like beer, I could have sworn I was drinking soda. Again, the "stadium pour" may have been the cause of some of this.

Drinkability: Because Miller Lite is so bland, it's pretty easy to just down beer after beer without realizing it. Very drinkable, but that's just about all this beer has going for it.

Overall: I don't drink this stuff unless it's free and I have no better options. (1,444 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +22%

Come on. What do you expect? Now having said that I like Miller Lite better than Mich. Ultra, Aspen Edge and Rolling Rock Green light. Before all the low carb beers, Lite was it....96 cals or so and that was back in '75. The others gave me a stomach ache(beer is not supposed to do that) but not Lite.

So pours pale and head retention is so- so. Low bitterness and weak mouthfeel but has a little well...taste. I could drink many 'O these so drinkability is good. Nice finish on this light pilsner. I like that about this beer. (530 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -7.3%

Another Lite beer to review. Oh, joy. Appearance is the color of water with a hint of yellow. A hint of foam, but no lace. Aroma is devoid of all elements except a hint of barley. Initial taste is of grains and mild dextrose. Carbonation is abundant. Middle reveals a hint of metallic hops with a hint of citrus. Finish is unpleasant with a hint of aluminum. Take the hint, and pass. (383 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -8.6%

I think that it tasted good..only I could barely taste anything of any resemblance of a good beer. It poured a dark brownish color. It had little to no smell maybe a wheaty smell. It tasted like it was watered down and not good at all. My expectations were not high so I was not dissapointed. (292 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear light yellow color and lots of carbonation bubbles. The head is quite nice. Seems to stick around the glass for a while. Cooked corns and light lemon hops come out in the aroma. The taste is fairly clean. Grainy taste at first kind of sweet. Semi-dry metallic aftertaste. Light bodied with a pretty good drinkability, because of it's lightness. Better than most light beers but that still doesn't make it good. Next! (422 characters)

2.86/5  rDev +23.3%

Not that bad for a light beer. I like it better than Coor's light. Had a metalic smell I did'nt like,but did'nt come through in the taste. This is an average beer. If you want to drink a light,give it a shot. Is the lowest in carbs of the lights as far as I know. (263 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -11.6%

I had a few in honor of Rusy Wallace's 'Last Call' on NASCAR. Spectactularly in-the-boat hot-summer-day swamp-buggy quality. Or NASCAR-like I guess. Very boring, no surprises, turn left, turn left again sort of way. Very pale gold pour with a fluffy white head that faded faster than a politicians reputation. Smelled of wonderbread on the nose, I remember the smell unfortunately. Just no discernable taste, perhaps marketed as beer extract or something. Made from concentrate, water added, I don't know. It doesn't offend and it feels fine, is easily drinkable, but it's just not worth remembering in any fashion. (615 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -15.5%

A- pale golden with a quickly dissapating head

S- horrible smell, some hints of bread come out, but mostly just sewage.

T- nothing suprising here. although these is a distinct taste that miller has, its not good.

M- thin and watery..as expected

D- as long as you stick with these, they will get your drunk (eventually) and begin tasting like water after the first couple

"more taste" is their ad, but i dont know if thats a good thing in this case. if im drinking just to get drunk, anything will do and i will chose miller lite over many others, but ill never seek this out to drink for enjoyment. (613 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +37.9%

basicly tastes mostly like bottle. slight "canesq" taste but nothing to bark over. still pretty thing flavorwise, no suprises here.if there isnt much flavor to chamge then the can cant do too much harm. still perfer this over bud light... (238 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -6%

Wow- We had guests all weekend and with the wife's family I put in a lot of Miller Lite. They surprised me by drinking up my good beer then switching to soft drinks. I wish they had left the Coke for me.

So- I have Lite in the bottle on a lovely summer day.
It shows a thin white head on basic gold body- though SABMiller seems to make sure that they are a couple of color units darker than AB products.

Still- not much chance to find an aroma here- maybe some graininess on a good olfactory day.

Key- the taste is inoffensive. Recent commercials say it stands up well to food- well, it certainly won't overpower any food flavors. The finish is a decent carbonation wash that lets you drink more of this "fine Pilsner Beer".

Hey- what was the guy who reviewed before me thinking when he gave this a 4.45? Is he just yankin the chains? (848 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. longneck served chilled. Pale gold body with fairly active carbonation that leaves a 1/4" head and a decent amount of lace. Lots of adjuncts in the aroma - mostly corn. Pretty clean with a slight skunkiness and no hops to speak of. Pretty much the same on the palate. When swishing it in the mouth the slightest touch of biscuits shows through but you need to search for it. After swallowing, the adjuncts and carbonation drown out any potential flavor. The body is thin and crisp. As far as cheap lite lagers go, this isn't the worst, but I wouldn't make it a regular by any means. (589 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -17.7%

Offered free, two at a time, ice cold at a bullpen party at Camden Yards.
Poured into a semi-clear plastic cup. This one had actually a better color and appearance than the Bud that was going around. Faint yellow, with a little bit of carbonation and a slight head.
Aroma of plastic, alien sugar and funk. You know, the smell at the bottom of a keg holder the next morning when the ice has melted and the ugly girls have left the dorm room.
Carbonation was moderate on the tongue. Light sweetness to the malts, with an embarassing absense of anything closely resembling hops.

Again, this would be very useful, during a drought, to water my tomatoes. I also hear it is useful for slugs, how appropriate. (709 characters)

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.