Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,080 | Reviews: 1,213
2.15/5  rDev -0.9%

I saw a sign that said 'free beer' when I purchased my wild boar burger at Fuddruckers so I took the chance to review a beer I would not pay for. served chilled in a clear plastic cup.

The color is golden, darker than I would have imagined, very clear with a thin white cap and fast moving bubbles. The smell is pretty tame, not really offensive as much as just faint. The smell does come off as slightly metallic as it gets beyond chilled closer to room temp. The feel is very light, so watery it is very carbonated and airy like corn-pops in the malt texture, just kind of a seltzery feel.

This taste is again as the smell promised, not much of anything - nothing terrible except the fact that it seems almost flavorless, gentle adjunct-type sweetness and slight hint of spice which could just be the high carbonation tricking my tastebuds. Overall I can't imagine a beer I would like to drink less of -just seems like the only thing it was good for was cleansing my palate after an order of chili-cheese fries.

2.36/5  rDev +8.8%

This the usual light brewski, same as the rest ... one of the better light beers out there for sure if you are a stickiler to styles. Light bodied, thin lace and minimal head retention. Lots of corn in the aroma and flavor, finishes pretty damn dry. More or less a sad excuse for beer.

First had: ?

After years of abstaining from nasty fake beer, I imbibed heavily on this at a house-warming party last year. I still can't get the taste out of my mouth.

Pours a pale golden color with moderate carbonation and a finger or two of frothy white head that dissipates quickly. Weak aroma with notes of skunk, old grains, and bathwater. Tastes about the same: Pale malts, sickeningly sweet, gray water. Very light body, and goes down "oh so smooth." To be avoided.

1.9/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appears a fizzy yellow tone with a large bubbled white head leaves thin fine lacing. Aroma is full of cereal grains straight from the corn, rice, and barley categories some light hop character thrown in but overall uninteresting to me. Taste at least attempts to have a hop profile as the "true pilsner" this beer claims to be great for mass consumption low sweetness very light bitterness pretty clean overall. Mouthfeel is light carbonated water esque with a carbonation factor that tickles the throat. Drinkability hot summer cookout with friends it's safe other than that steer away from this one, if your looking for a great taste. Good commercials at times...hand me a Sunshine Pils.

1.88/5  rDev -13.4%

500ml can served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely low.

A: Pours a two finger head lacking cream and of pathetic thickness and bad retention. Colour is a light clear bland yellow. Unappealing.

Sm: Barley and malt. That's it. Simple and boring.

T: Faux cream - very artificial and stale - comprises the open and drags into the body. The foundation is water and maybe a touch of barley. Bland malt adds a little something to form the climax. Really pathetic all around, but thankfully the malt isn't brutal like in many Spanish lagers. It's badly built and rather imbalanced. Bleh.

Mf: Actually a bit coarser than many American macro lagers. Wet and watery. Not thick, but a bit gulpy. Certainly bad any way you slice it.

Dr: You can down it very easily; frat boys do it all the time. It's cheap and very available - which may be its best feature. However, its ABV is far lower than say, High Gravity Steel Reserve, which costs less per alcohol percentage and tastes a fair bit better. If you're a student looking to get drunk on a budget, this isn't the best beer to go to unless you maybe live in Milwaukee. Avoid this beer regardless of your intention; there are always better brews available.

2.72/5  rDev +25.3%

Continuing my survey of light beer, onward, and....upward?

Tremendously transparent, pale golden hue, slim slab of froth that disappers assuredly, while bubble float up from below. "Looks like a beer."

Aroma: wispy corny sweetness, and little else.

Taste: soft, then crisp, then gone. Lightness is indeed represented in full here, and any flavor that is present is absent before you notice. Doesn"t taste "bad" mind you, and there"s a brief bit of malt and grainy, enough thatI'd say it lives up to it's advertising. (Not that says much, being better tasting than Bud Light doesn't say I've sampled.

Dry, lightly citric finish, intensely carbonated, faint body. It does what it's supposed to....

Could it actually be happening that i"m saying good things about miller lite? What's next, I'll join the Garth Brooks fan club? Eat all my meals at Hardee's? Throw out my book collection and spend all my time in front of the Tee Vee?

Well, if that's all you want from a beer, lightness, wetness, a modicum of flavor, and the usual amount of booze, here it is, enjoy.

I'll still opt for more hops, more malt, more actual taste, and count us all lucky that such things are indeed in plentiful supply.

1.28/5  rDev -41%

From 05/29/11 notes. Part II of my reviewing bad beers at a wedding. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip like glass.

a - Pours a clear, pale golden color with one finger of fluffy white head and high carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour bready, grain, rice, wheat, and metallic notes. The sourness and metal blends into a truely aweful smell.

t - Tastes of cigarettes, metallic notes, sour bready, wheat, and grain. The metal and sourness from the nose is now mixing with what I imagine cigarette butts taste like. I've always pitured the brewers brewing this beer while smoking, and just throwing the butts in as they finished their cigarettes.

m - Light body and high carbonation. Water-like feel and too carbonated.

o - Overall this is one of my least favorite beers, and probably the worst of the BMC products in my opinion.

At this point in the night I saw someone with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which was apparently being served at one bar but not the other, so I abandoned my bad beer reviewing and switched to SN and whiskey for the rest of the night.

2.86/5  rDev +31.8%

Matt's afternoon of free American Adjunct lager beers continues. Served in a can.

Beer is clear and yellow, large bubbles make up the steady carbonation, no real head at all, no lacing.

Aroma is barely there at all. Some grains....maybe.

Beer is thin but has some flavor to it. No alcohol but some grain and the carbonation fill it out slightly. I'm not going to say its a great beer but I've had worse. I've had worse craft beer honestly. Its just boring and simple and bland.

2.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured light straw yellow with a bubbly head that fizzles out.
The smell was of adjuncts with hints of a chemical aroma.
The taste was of watered-down adjuncts. A vague watered-down hint of hops was very barely noticeable.
It goes down pretty easily - leaves a vague aftertaste.
There are plenty worse macro-lights. It might be okay if it's the only choice at a summer party or similar occassion, but not a true pilsener as it claims, and very watery and boring.

2.77/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On tap; served in a frosted mug, which may be why there’s no lacing.

Clear, pale golden; excellent clarity; good head

Light, somewhat watery body but with counteracting medium-high carbonation.

Aroma and flavor are very light, about as expected although even less hoppy.

O: clean and refreshing, but flawed by minimal substance.

3.2/5  rDev +47.5%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is decent, for a light beer that is. It has a light malt scent with little or no hops. The is a small amount of lager yeast aroma. The taste is average. It has a watered down malt flavor with a bitter skunky finish. It refreshes on the way down, but this beer is for amatuers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with lots of carbonation. This beer is about average as far as these types of beers go. It one and done for me. I prefer Michelob light to this.

2.05/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with some light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall fizzy bright white head that quickly reduces to nothing but a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing is observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of musty grains, rice, and corn.

T: Light flavored, not a lot to the taste at all - there are hints of adjunct malts (grain and corn). Very faint bit of bitterness in the finish but it does not linger.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Thin and watery.

O: Easy to drink and sessionable but that is likely due to the fact that the smell and taste are just about absent (and the low ABV). I will likely be avoiding this one (even at the free conference bars) in the future.

2.73/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer of my college years.

The beer pours a clear yellow color with a white head. The aroma is corn with some other grains. Very simple. The flavor is corn, grassy hops and grain. Not much going on, but nothing too terribly offensive. Light bodied and medium mouthfeel. A decent drinker.

2.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Had at a BBQ after I had finished what I brought. Next time I need to bring a few more of my own.

A: Pale yellow/straw colored with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly. Little bits of lace form after taking a sip, but are gone pretty quickly.

S: Pretty muted, grainy malt, a bit of corn sweetness. No hops.

T: Some grainy malt and a bit more sweetness than the aroma. Where are the triple hops though?

M: Light bodied with high carbonation. On the watery side, but that wasn't too surprising.

O: Easy to drink, but only because there really isn't much to it. Not what I want to be drinking, but won't refuse it if there is nothing else and I am out with friends or at some sort of social event.

2.47/5  rDev +13.8%

16 oz can poured into pint glass.

Pours a one finger bright white head. Head fizzles down quickly. Color is a clear straw yellow.

The aroma is kind of grassy and grainy. There is also a slight corn smell. Taste is basically the same. Very bland, can't get to much out of it.

Mouthfeel is very crisp, but then mellows down. Goes down easy with a dry aftertaste. This beer seems undercarbonated.

Overall, this is nothing stunning or good. I received this at a party and thought I would give it a shot and throw a review up on it. Nothing I would every buy.

2.23/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to my brother for graciously sharing this gem with me over Memorial Day weekend. Its been such a long time since ive tried any of this swill that it felt good to take a step back, reset the palate and just appreciate the glory of craft beer which I have been spoiled with all these years. My review may be biased because I was in a good mood while my team was crushing the opponent during a fierce bout of backyard horseshoes.

Decanted from a half barrel into a oversized clear plastic picture and then again finally into my red solo cup. The brew is a pristine piss yellow with a sudsy white froth that lasts atop. The smell is slightly corn-like and nothing else. The taste has mild sweetness, corn again, mild sulfur/carbonics and water. The feel is light, super cold (which I hear is indicadive of the style) and moderately carbonated from the double decanting. If I was forced to drink macro crap, I could tolerate this but im not drinking it if there are other choices available...like water.

2.71/5  rDev +24.9%

08/02/08- Had on tap at a random sports bar in Canton, OH.

Presentation- Via the tap into a limited edition HOF pint glass which was free with purchase of Miller Lite...the only way I could get the glass.

Appearance- Light yellow colored pour. Pretty nice looking mildly foamy, yet somewhat creamy pocky head. Fades in a fe minutes and leaves no lace.

Smell- Light grainy notes...not really a corn scent but not to horrible.

Taste- Grainy notes, a bit of light malt-like taste. Sweet, but not overly sweet like some macros. Maybe even a slight hop twinge.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation, not a offensive aftertaste.

Drinkability- For what it is, it's really not as horrible as I was expecting. About the same boat as Bud Light, but maybe a touch better. Blows Coors Light out of the water.

2.22/5  rDev +2.3%

The beer is completely clear with a thin white collar that leaves minimal lacing. The aroma is typical of a macro lager, with sweet grain and corn. The flavor is fairly sweet, with a mediocre grainy taste. One of these is more than enough. Uninteresting and oddly sweet. The body is thin with a solid carbonation level. The finish brings more sweet grain, with a total lack of hop presence. Overall, I will never understand why the masses continually buy this beer.

1.62/5  rDev -25.3%

I CANnot believe either their current marketing campaign OR the gullibility of the drinking populace. "Locks In Great Pilsner Taste", "Taste Protector Lid", "Great Pilsner Taste ... Triple Hops Brewed" are all followed on their imprint by "TM" in the teeny-tiniest, sub-agate font allowed by law! Why, you might ask is that important? Because, by law, you CAN and MAY trademark any meaningless slogan that passes across your synapses. That would be like me advertising "Woody Chandler - interchangeable with Hercules, Adonis, and/or Superman!" (TM). Rubbish!

On to the beer: I hoped, for a fleeting millisecond, that I might have actually poured a beer today with some head. Whoops, was I wrong! It started out with a nice, bone-white head, but the fizzy carbonic nature of the beer just erupted right through any head that may have had a chance. Even H. C. Andersen's mermaid had a better chance of becoming foam. I really had to sniff to get the cereal-grain (think Cheerios) smell that so many others have alluded to. It was a weakling at a sand-kicking contest (thx, Charles Atlas). Color was a straw-yellow with a brightness approaching water or glass. Mouthfeel was light and airy, allowing me to drift away on its billowy, puffy feel and forget, blissfully, that I was supposed to be drinking BEER! The taste, thankfully protected by the lid and with a "great pilsner taste" (TM), reminded me that it was "triple hops brewed" (TM). Rubbish! I've had tap water with a better taste and mouthfeel. Utter garbage foisted upon an unsuspecting public by lawyers in cahoots with brewers who should know better. The finish left me wishing for beer.

When the bottom line ($) is the bottom line, spend your money elsewhere.

2.29/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass (for reviewing purposes)

Pours a clear yellow-gold with a mound of head and actually has decent retention. Smell is faint; grains but nothing else. Taste is weak grains and even weaker hops. The flavors here are so faint as to almost be nondescript. Highly carbonated, watery, and crisp.

There's very little here in the way of good. Very drinkable, but only if you don't mind the lack of flavor and enjoyability.

1.78/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle, wait a second they make plastic bottles now. I thought that was stadium only. Ok, plastic bottle into a pint glass.

A- Miller Light pours out of the plastic bottle a pale yellow to golden color with minimum to no head, kind of looks like urine. I'm sorry, but that's what it looks like. Some fizz and bubbles emerge on the top. No lace.

S- The smell is light including very minimal grassy hops and processed corn. I can say that there is some skunkiness going on. no more, no less.

T- Very one sided with the corn and mild hop presense fighting to come through but barely making a wimper. I get more malts than hops but overall this tastes like carbonated water. There is no depth to this at all.

M- Very thin on the mouth and goes down like water with no dominate flavors causing any traffic. Kind of like sparkling water only worse. Miller light leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.

D- Those commercials are lying cause i cant drink much of this. I see this as a gulping/ chugging beer because of it's light nature but i can't take more than a big gulp without cringing at the overall affect of this beer.

This beer is an easy out if your going to a party or social event as it's appreciated and won't go to waste, so i guess that ML has this going for it. Money well spent!!

24 oz. can,

A: Pale yellow, with a dissipating, artificial looking white head, with horrible retention in a pint glass.

S: Basically nonexistant, a light hint of corn.

T: Terrible, tastes like old tepid bath water, mixed with soap and soaked in cornmeal for an hour. I've had bad light beers before, but this one takes the cake. I'd rather have it taste like nothing, like Coors Light or Natty Light, at least then it would be easier to drink. There's no taste of the choicest hops that they mention on the label.

M: High in carbonation, seltzery, spritzy, no substance to it.

D: A terrible beer, this will be my lowest review on this site. I know I'm ranting, but my body had a bad reaction to this overprocessed crap. Save your money and buy a real beer, or least a Bud Light, which for a light beer is not horrible. True pilsner? Yeah right, drink a fuckin' Czechvar or Urquell if you wan't a real pilsner, in conclusion, the worst beer I have ever had. This is the antithesis of beer, everythng we been striving for, going back to tradition for 9000 years, there's no need to drink this shit.

1.53/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of four beers from this brewery I tried and reviewed while on holiday in Tobago. I disliked all of them. How does this brewery survive, their products are awful.

12oz can, poured cold into a cold half pint tumbler.

Very pale gold, full white head at first, soon fell away to a thin covering.

This is a nothing beer, no aroma, no taste or body to it. A waste of money.

1.16/5  rDev -46.5%

A. Served on tap at a local sports game. Appeared straw yellow with some head.

S. Smells like corn, thats about it.

T. Once again a slight corny twang with subtle notes of vomit. Pretty awful.

M. Watery all the way through.

D. Some people pound these, but personally, one was more than enough for me.

2.07/5  rDev -4.6%

Miller's lightweight family member was also sampled tonight, as part of a sampling splurge I did at Vendome earlier today when some beer bottles were reduced to 99 cents. On to the beer:

Well, it's better than Bud Light. There's actually some kind of flavor to this one, mainly of corn husks and sweetness, a lesser extent of hops, and a seltzer-like feeling that finishes dry. I couldn't believe this unitl I tasted it, but after I finished a third of the serving, I started to taste a dose of alcohol reminiscent to cheap vodka. That can't be good. This brew packs an underwhelming 4% ABV, and I'm tasting alcohol? I tried to go on, but I couldn't finish the whole thing.

On the bright side, it has fewest calories of the Big 3 (for what that's worth) and only has a whisker more carbs than Michelob Ultra (also for what that's worth). Ironically, part of my Vendome run involved purchasing a bottle of the latter, which I may soon regret. We'll find out tomorrow.

Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.