Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

12 oz bottle ~ It's Got Grooves ~ Poured into a pint glass

Appearance- Pours a very clear golden color with a bubbly white head. Lots of active carbonation. Decent head retention actually. Respectable for the style.

Smell- Not picking up much at all. Maybe some light grains.

Taste- Tastes like a light lager. Simple and plain. Grainy, light corn. Not picking up any of the "triple hop".

Mouthfeel- High carbonation, light body.

Overall- Light and watery. There is not really anything going on with this. I do find their commercials funny, but that is the extent of my enjoyment of this beer.

JLeege, Jan 26, 2011
2.55/5  rDev +18.6%

Good choice for a low calorie daily alcoholic beverage, but nothing special when it comes to real beer. Clear and smooth, but somewhat watered-down.

Don't get me wrong, though, I consider it among the best of the low calorie mass-produced American brews.

xodin, Jan 25, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

#69. This has the pride of having a swill marketing ploy, the new "vortex bottle", with specially designed grooves for a great pilsner taste. I'll admit, it's about as fresh as Coors' marketing for their light lager, and by that I mean completely unnecessary, as I never drink from the bottle. Really I try my hardest to avoid light lager, but there is the occasional stray that pops up in the fridge from time to time that I can't help but try. Let's crack the twist-off lid and pour.

(Appearance) A heavily carbonated head barely cracks a 1 finger depth before immediately fizzing down to a light spotty cover. Color is really a predictable shade for it's style; a pale straw yellow, crystal clear, certainly strained as far as it could be. Carbonation is superabundant and very enthusiastic. Very run-of-the-mill light beer, but nothing super exciting. 2.5

(Smell) Subtle sweet corn notes; nothing too bold as in a traditional adjunct. Grainy malts and no hops. Basic, predictable. Not very exhilarating but overall and alright smell. 2.5

(Taste) Very very watery blend of sweet corn and grainy, scratchy malts. Possibly the most watered down and bland light lager I have had thus far. Again, no appalling tastes in this beer but the experience is really dreadful and unexciting. The beer lacks any character in taste. Blatantly unimaginative. 1.5

(Mouthfeel) Crispness works well to enliven what little flavor lies in this beer. Unfortunately, the incredibly light body and watery textureless drink really makes drinking this a laborious challenge. The typical high level of carbonation adding dimension to the mouthfeel is the only thing saving the mouthfeel from defining the pinnacle of mediocrity. 2

(Drinkability) Light to no flavor; lower end of the ABV scale and nearly no defining texture to separate the beer from water. It really depends on the person, the mood and the situation. Ideally, a good party beer but not one to be consumed with any level of respect or consideration. However, as a casual drinker who cares to enjoy a beer for it's character, this one is simply devoid of any. Fortunately, this was the only one I had. I won't be having another ever. 2

Verdict: The more light lagers that I have, the less I enjoy them. This one is the worst of them all so far. Worse than Bud Light, believe it. There's hardly any flavor in this beer and what's there is your predictable cheap lager flavors; corn and metallic, grainy grassy malt. Not at all enjoyable. D- (2)

Jadjunk, Jan 22, 2011
2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

Worded just to make spencer mad.

Another special "freebie" review from a buddy's house just for the hey of it.

Very yellow. One finger head that slowly dissipated into a thin sheen, then to nothingness. Lacing was sheetingly fine, yet ample.

Barely detectable light graininess. Otherwise odorless.

Taste - Grains, light citrus, not a whole lot else. Not very flavorful, but for the style it's not that bad either. Little in the way of obvious hops or malt flavors, it's mostly adjuncts.

Mouthfeel is very effervescent and crispy, but otherwise mostly that of club soda. No shortage of carbonation, but little in the way of lingering bitterness or notable character.

Drinks ok if you're at someone else's house and they've got nothing else. Otherwise it's mostly to be avoided.

AlCaponeJunior, Jan 21, 2011
1.98/5  rDev -7.9%

A - Very very pale straw yellow color. Decent amount of head but it was gone soon.

S - Not a terrible smell. Almost no smell at all really, but average at best.

T - Weak beer taste but just an aweful aftertaste. Can't put my finger on it, but it just goes straight up my nostrils into my brain.

M - OK nothing special. Very light, smooth.

D - You can drink plenty of these with no problem, but it gives me a hangover from hell the next day.

richkrull, Jan 18, 2011
1.55/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had some of this from a keg at a party the other night. Reviewing this simply because I haven't reviewed it before.

Poured a pale straw yellow, lacking head of any kind. Quite clear though. The aroma is very faint, if any. Very light corn and sweet grains, but that's about it. The flavor is bland and watery. I drank a water after this and it wasn't too different. Fizzy and carbonated. At least it has more carbonation than Angel's Share lol. I poured the rest out after making some notes.

DmanGTR, Jan 17, 2011
1.9/5  rDev -11.6%

on-tap at the Hunt Club on 1/12/11. Why did I get this on tap? I've had most of the decent and halfway decent beers they have on-tap there, 312 and Half-Acre Pale. Plus, I don't remember having this except in a bottle since keggers in college. Not that it's important for anyone to try this beer. I could have gone my whole life without having one and never would have missed a beat.

The head had pretty much subsided by the time the bartender put the glass down, just a few wisps of nothing on top of a pissy body. No real aroma. Nothing offensive or anything, just nothing. As far as the taste, I know they claim this is made with malt and hops. I'll have to take their word for it, as I couldn't taste them for myself.

I will say one thing for this beer--it goes down fast and easy, which is a good thing, because you want to finish this while it's cold, before any of that adjunct flavor we all know so well rears its ugly head and you have to put that glass of corn extract down for good.

No, I didn't quite finish my pint of this and have officially had my life long fill of Miller Lite on-tap (or bottle).

chicagoabbot, Jan 13, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -17.2%

Liquid resembles water with golden food coloring. White tuft of foam stands a half finger high and isn't as bad as you'd expect. Carbonation is lively, but lacing leaves a lot to be desired. The weakest aspect is the body, which is translucent and does not resemble beer whatsoever. This is way too clean and filtered. I imagine a Munich lager passed through a Brita would look like this.

Scent packs the usual suspects for the style. Think corn, tin cans, paint thinner, synthetic dryness and the other adjunct ingredients. It's been so long since I've voluntarily smelled a beer like this and, after sniffing it, I remember why.

Flavor is like a dollop of margarine (see diacetyl). It's admittedly low on the skunky notes, which is a huge plus, and the carbonation bite in the conclusion is pleasant. This tastes pretty fresh, despite the obvious tinniness and the complete lack of malt whatsoever. Flavorwise, this isn't the worst of its type.

Mouthfeel completely lacks range. It goes from a watery liquid in the front to a watery liquid in the back with the heavy carbonation barely waking the tastebuds.

If you were stuck at a lame party or already three sheets to the wind, I could see this being an easy beer to get down. Sadly, I'm sober right now and I'm not too stoked about finish my glass.

deapokid, Jan 08, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -12.6%

Poure from a can with a pale-yellow thin-looking body and a hefty head which dwindles quickly to small lacing. Smells very thin, not much but metallic corn and some grain husk. Tastes very thin and watery but what can be tasted is not particularly pleasing. As this beer warms up, you can really start to smell and taste the cooked corn-pretty dreadful. Not a good beer at all-why is it so popular?

Beerbluesbiology, Jan 04, 2011
1.85/5  rDev -14%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

On pour this had a light golden color similar to most of the mass market light beers with a head that developed and disappeared very quickly. The beer had a grainy/sour smell which began to scare me. The taste finished that scare with little flavor besides water and a waxy crayon feel left in my mouth. It would be drinkable in quantity if one could choke down the the first 2 however it will take a better man than I to do that

chuckm, Jan 02, 2011
3.25/5  rDev +51.2%

A - Clear light yellow. Fizzy bubbly head that gone fast. Lots up bubble making their way to the top. Typical for the style.

T/S - Very light smell and taste. Corn mostly with hints of other grains. No hops in the smell or taste. There is a metallic scent and taste I always seem to pick up in Miller Lite.

M - Light bodied and a lot or carbonation. Drinks like a soda water.

Note- For what it is its ok. Dont get me wrong though. I would rather have a real beer.

depechemode1983, Jan 01, 2011
2.53/5  rDev +17.7%

What's so special about this beer? It has a Taste Protector LidTM, which I'm pretty sure means that the can is sealed on its top. Pretty impressive shit. I'm digging it.
Poured some into a snifter, some into a tumbler. How is this beer best presented? I can't tell you. It looks pale and watery, barely registering a color. Perfect. Smells like corn, tastes like grains and corn, a little bit of grassy hop. Easy to drink, not particularly enjoyable. At least the entire can is covered in trademarks.

dragonWhale, Dec 24, 2010
2.53/5  rDev +17.7%

I can't figure out why this one is so popular.

A- Thin, pale yellow with foamy white head that quickly fades and leaves creamy lace that also disappears quick.

S- Water, corn and grains

T- Water, corn, grains, and metallic tones

M- Crisp, water, refreshing

D- Easy to down, flavorless

JayS2629, Dec 23, 2010

I drink this in cans on the golf course, and bottles at home. It is easy to find and cost effective. It tastes good, goes down good. It kills the thirst after mowing, and while playing golf.

It is an ok tasting beer, rather drink something else.

The riffled neck does not help.

larrytm56, Dec 22, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +27.9%

A=very thin straw color, almost transparent. The head is great though, and the lacing is mediocre. Hate me if you want but this isn't deserving of a shellacking on straight appearance merit.
S= Aroma is of corn, and a bit of grain
T=As simple as it gets. Straight corn and grain, but the overall watery feeling brings it down
M=Thin, but overall very pleasant feeling, and it actually has something of an aftertaste, even if it is not an exceptionally pleasant one
D=Come on, despite the subpar taste, these can be downed like there's nothing to it

The multitude of reviews making snide comments on advertising campaigns irritates me, rate the beer dang it. I view every beer with an equal eye, regardless of manufacturer. This is not a good beer, no. But for being mass produced crap, its not quite as bad as all the pundits make it out to be.

ramseye4, Dec 20, 2010

What a nothing of a beer. Briefest of heads immediately disappeared. Very weak straw yellow. Virtually no flavor at all of any kind. The label says "great pilsner taste" but it doesn't really taste of anything. Melted ice water would be more satisfying. And "triple hops brewed" but maybe by that they just mean 3 individual hop heads were added to an enormous vat of beer. Just an utter failure of a beer. And of course they trademarked the mispelling of "Lite" which is pretty funny when you consider how dumb that is and how bad the beer is.

MoreThanWine, Dec 19, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -35.8%

Pours from the 12 oz can a crystal clear, pale yellow (almost lemonade) color with a foamy 1 1/2 finger head that settles into a medium collar. VERY active carbonation. Aroma is of wet grass, cheap malts, straw. 1st sip is like seltzer water with a small amount of beer flavor. All cheap grassy malts...and where are the "triple hops" that this was allegedly brewed with? Mouthfeel is light and watery, with tons of fizz to ensure that there will be copious amounts of belching & farting to add to the experience. I'll admit, it would be refreshing on a hot summer day, but so would a bottle of water, which if you're worried about calories & carbs would be a better choice anyway. The fact this is one of the best selling beers in America is a true, shining example of what slick advertising can do for a product. And to think, there was a time when I actually thought the swill was good...

CJfromPhilly, Dec 13, 2010
1.83/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint.

(A)- Pours a crystal clear pale straw yellow color. No head to speak of except some white bubbles.

(S)- Very dry with an earthy straw and corn husk profile.

(T)- Same as the smell. Rather dry with a corn husk aspect and a present sugary sweetness.

(M)- Crisp, with a relatively higher carbonation level. Too watery and sugary sweet.

(D)- Sure, I could easily drink a 6er of this, but why would I want to?

sweemzander, Dec 06, 2010
2.2/5  rDev +2.3%

This is probably my least favorite of the mass marketed light beers. Way watered down. nothing to it. not enjoyable. only drinkin this if i'm playing some beer pong or there is nothing else left. Having said this, it is what it is, a light american beer that people like to have a good time with. This is fine, but I'd rather have a Bud.

ryanblinkbrand, Dec 06, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +51.2%

Ummm...seriously welcome to nothingness with a little bit of something. Tastes like American macro light beer. You know how strawberry flavored candy doesn't really taste like strawberries but you recognize the flavor immediately cause you've had it so many times. You know it's strawberry flavored. Maybe a bad analogy but they don't have corn flavored candy you know.

I kinda like this beer. It's a beer flavored refreshing beverage. I like to sip these and surf the internet late at night. Guilty indulgence I know.

It's fizzy! Always has a beautiful head on it.

It smells kinda terrible.

It tastes sorta good if you are thirsty. Just a touch more hop profile Miller! C'mon that would set it above the other two light macros that this beer is commonly compared to...

It is sorta lacking in mouthfeel. At least the other two seem to have a creamy aftertaste sorta.

It is very drinkable. Don't lie to yourself. It is very ,very drinkable.

Sorta amazed at how well I rated this beer but for the style, I cain't lie.

Horses for courses!

CamuMahubah, Dec 01, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -9.3%

Beer was purchased for my friend, who didn't want to drink any beer, so I decided to finally try this. Pale straw yellow, fizzy carbonation without any real head retention. Nothing overly offensive in the smell, but it is hard to get much of anything. This is pretty much carbonated water and I suppose it could be considered refreshing, but I'd rather just drink water. Carbonation level is too high to drink a lot of this. I didn't finish.

kwjd, Nov 29, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

On draught at Tokyo Grill Victoria TX in 22oz mug for 2 bucks. Pours a pale yellow with minimal white head. Light aroma of corn, grass. Taste same as aroma. Palate is light body, moderate carbonation. Finish is light grass, and corn. Overall not much aroma or flavor to speak of, very bland and boring could not finish it. It was the one of the better choices available on the menu.

Samp01, Nov 24, 2010
2.1/5  rDev -2.3%

Miller Lite.... yep. This beer has a light straw colour. The head fades quickly to nothingness. Not much smell and it's mostly just grains and some yeast. Tastes like grain water. It's not unpleasant bad there isn't much flavour there. It feels ok in your mouth since there is some carbonation.

You don't drink Miller Lite because of taste though. You drink it to get drunk but not put on too much weight, and in that regard... it works. Flavourless but drinkable.

vandemonian, Nov 19, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +67.4%

I just had my first Miller Lite in about three years, on draft in a bar. And ya know what? I'm surprised. Surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Maybe it's because I've been drinking nothing but Pale Ales and IPAs lately but this was downright refreshing, had way more taste than Bud Light or Coors, and was nice to drink with food. I only got it because it was a cheap happy hour special and dammit I'm glad I did. For what it is and what it aims to achieve I'd say it succeeds. Not that it's saying much, but this has to be the best light lager on the market and I rated it as such.

cheesepuffs, Nov 16, 2010

On draught at Tokyo Grill in Victoria, TX. Pale straw color (slightly darker than water). Aroma of grass and corn. Thin, carbonated body. Taste is like water (mineral one, due to carbonation). It was the best available beer in the Japanese restaurant.

mikeg67, Nov 14, 2010
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.