Miller Lite - Miller Brewing Co.

Miller LiteMiller Lite

awful

awful

Miller Brewing Co. visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Light Lager |  4.17% ABV

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miller Lite Alström Bros
mattwjones

3.23/5  rDev +50.2%

Another Light Lager, ahem, excuse me, "Lite" Lager.

All aspects of this beer are to be as expected from the style. It is called a Light Lager because the drinker wishes to sacrifice flavor and alcohol content for fewer calories/carbs. Miller Lite tastes ever so slightly better than its B and C opponents but not making it justifiable to purchase Miller Lite if it was any more expensive than BL or CL.

12-06-2009 06:24:25 | More by mattwjones
kegger22

2.88/5  rDev +34%

I was a Budweiser drinker for many years before getting into craft beers. I hadn't had a Bud in several months before buying a 24 oz bottle for rating purposes. At the same time, I also bought a 24 oz Miller Lite even though I did not care for Lite when I was drinking BMC. A couple of days ago I had and rated the Budweiser. Tonight, I rated the Lite.

Its funny, after several months of nothing but good microbrewery beers, you'd think your taste buds would have developed and you would notice a huge difference between Bud and Miller Lite. Nope, they tasted identical, like they came out of the same vat. I won't bore you with the details, read the Bud review if you are interested, they're the same down to the aroma. Neither beer is a bad beer, there are just a lot better out there. And I have to give some props to Miller Lite after all these years of neglecting it in favor of Budweiser.

12-01-2009 05:29:34 | More by kegger22
AgentZero

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

For review #100, let's take it back to where it all began with my first beer.

A - A bold traditional amberish gold hits the eyes as this American Masterpiece is poured into the glass. A frothy, huge head billows its way up to the tip of the glass, a errant slip of liquid spills subtly over the side of the glass. The huge champagne-like bubbles lazily float to the top, as if they're dancing to a leisurely tune, or taking a nice stroll to the park to meet with their bubble friends. The head slowly dissipates into a nice conglomeration of beautiful lacing, as if someone painted it there. At least, that's what this would have looked like if someone hadn't taken a normal beer and watered it down to about a 1:100 beer to water ratio. Instead it's almost clear with some tinges of yellow, huge bubbles that rise to the top and pop, and a kind of slick oily look to it.

S - The triple hops brewed and strong American malts are cleverly hidden by the powerful smell of the US Heartland: CORN. Smelling this takes me back to the cornfields of Iowa, as cornhusk rolls over my knows in waves, I think back to farmers swapping stories about the weather and downing the cheapest, easiest beer they could find, often Miller Lite. You've come a long way baby.

T - The cool refreshing taste of water hits my tongue with the faintest, haunting taste of grainy beer entering the mouth, before disappearing forever. An excessive mouthful brings us back to the corn taste, as this wateringly refreshing brew goes down. Rumors of hops, malts, and even alcohol have been heard, but apparently on the the best of the beer connoisseurs are able to find those delightfully hidden treasures in this beer.

M - The large bubbles are the first hint that you're drinking something other than water, as they explode in your mouth and remind you that unlike water, this wasn't free. However like water, it's cool, light and refreshing, making it hard to tell the difference between the two.

D - So easy to drink, so quick to go down, just like water itself. Just make sure to check your container occassionaly, as you may have switched them without knowing it.

Here's to #100. Happy drinking!

11-25-2009 00:48:51 | More by AgentZero
Brettster

Indiana

2.65/5  rDev +23.3%

Well, this is what it is. It is an American Light Lager. Cannot expect too much from a mass produced light beer. I would drink this one over most of the others. This beer pours with a good amount of head but beyond that it is very thin. Not much taste or mouthfeel at all. It is a very drinkable beer. But I typically drink for quality.

11-20-2009 16:15:31 | More by Brettster
esv

2.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A) White head. I more or less eased the beer in the glass, unlike most of the beers I poor. It seemed right, given the style. Despite this, it has a 1/3" head that is almost billowy. Lacing all the way down and a continual cloud atop the beer. Light, straw golden color. Bubbles like a champagne ... how appropriate.

S) Light whiffs of thin corniness. Nothing that I can identify as hops.

T) A twinge of sweet and a pinch of bitter. For me, it is just barely detectable. Just registering on the radar. Takes a lot of concentration to pick-up much of anything. Watery and some more corn.

M) Thin and thin.

D) This is an interesting one. It is so inoffensive, so bland that you might think it deserving of a high ranking. It's super drinkable, right? I don't think of a 5 in "drinkability" as "super easy to drink" ... a 5 means it's too easy to drink. You keep coming back for more because there is something there that you like, coupled with the fact that it goes down easy. You want it and it's easy. So a 5? Nay (which is the sound a horse makes ... which is a beast that eats real grain, not corn and rice.)

Meek, meager, a continual string of apologies ringing in your ear, easily dismissed, easily forgotten if it registers at all. This is only offensive when you take time to reflect on it.

In all honesty, I think that this in not that far off from what a Lite American Lager should be, hence the higher score.

In keeping with that honesty, I have no idea what horses eats.

11-09-2009 00:20:36 | More by esv
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.55/5  rDev +18.6%

12 oz can poured into an American Tumbler. NOV3009 Date on bottom.

A - Totally clear pale yellow straw color with a loose white head. Effervescent and poorly retained, it lowers to a tiny ring with a bit of thin lacing on the glass.

S - Aromas of dry straw and lightly cooked corn with a hint of malt in the background. Crisp but no real hop aroma for it being "triple hops brewed".

T - Devoid of any real beer flavors, the taste protector lid must be defective. A bit of malts behind the corn flavor and no real hop flavor.

M - Light, light, light. Thin and watery with a carbonation finish.

D - Easy to drink and that's the key. No bad flavors cause there aren't really flavors. But could I put down a 12 pack in a night if I had to? Sure.

11-08-2009 19:42:35 | More by BeerFMAndy
dpnelson1978

2.2/5  rDev +2.3%

24 oz. can into glass pint.

$2.99 / ea.

S: Corn, and lots of it. Just the tiniest amount of detectable hops. The scent is really weak, and gets weaker with time. It isn't so much "bad" as it is just almost nonexistent.

A: Big soapy head with a lot of retention. Good lacing. Bright light yellow body.

T: Corn, and just a little hops. More like a tea. It isn't bad, just boring and pointless. Like eating unflavored tofu.

M: Very light body, with low to medium carbonation. The body is just way too light for my preference.

D: Very good drinkability, and you are going to need every bit of it. At 4.1 abv you have to maintain a brutal pace to even know you are drinking beer.

O: Not bad if you have to drink it (like at a baseball game), and it really is my macro of choice, but it just can't compare to real beer.

11-08-2009 00:39:54 | More by dpnelson1978
GoalieRon33

1.73/5  rDev -19.5%

Yuck.

Looked bad, smelled bad, tasted bad, felt bad, drank bad. Not much else to say...Their triple hops brewing claim may make people think it's of quality, but it really sucks. Smells terrible. I'm assuming the hops they get are from a generic source, maybe impersonation hops product? Is there such a thing? I just don't understand how the can think that this stuff tastes good. People (if you can call them that), seem to think this stuff is awesome. They love it, which I don't get at all, but whatever floats your boat I guess. Either way, I find it hard to say anything positive about this beer when I have never had either a good time with it or a good memory of it.

11-04-2009 06:36:42 | More by GoalieRon33
wknight167

1.88/5  rDev -12.6%

Apearance - Pours crystal clear with a slight straw yellow tint. 1 finger head quickly fades to nothing, but persistant carbonation.

Nose- Grain and corn with a hint of indistinct hops.

Palate- Very nondiscript. Slightly sweet with what just may be some hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel- Thin and watery with lively carbonation.

Drinkability- I could drink a few of these, but why?

11-03-2009 05:55:40 | More by wknight167
feelmefoam

South Carolina

2.6/5  rDev +20.9%

Mmmm.... Triple Hops brewed. Except I can't taste any hops. Looks and smells like a typical adjunct, tastes a lot like carbonated water. Certainly not a bad flavor, just that there's not ANY flavor there. Good for parties, I guess. If I had to choose a light beer, tho, I'm going with Sam Adams light. The one upside to this is that it's very drinkable. But so is water.

11-02-2009 03:56:19 | More by feelmefoam
steanu

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

I got this at a club and it was more pricey than Bud Light and it tastes JUST like Bud Light. It's not that great but it will do its duty if you want to get drunk. NOT a drink to have on it's own. Both this and Bud Light are lowsy beers because they have hardly any flavor at all. It's like having a soda water and I could not taste the hops in it.

10-28-2009 02:54:42 | More by steanu
womencantsail

2.63/5  rDev +22.3%

A cheap beer consumed in "honor" of a friend's birthday, as we didn't have anything else around.

A: I poured it into a glass just because I hadn't examined the looks of Miller Lite in quite some time. I was astonished at how absolutely close to being clear this beer is. Just the slightest touch of yellow, and no head.

S: So much for that "triple hops" brewing technique, as all there is to the aroma is some grain and corn. Alright, maybe an ever so slight hint of hops.

T: The taste is a bit more "robust" than other BMC products (especially of the "lite" variety), but that's not saying much. There is some actual grain taste and sweetness. Again, that "triple hops" brewing system must have been out of commission the day this batch was brewed...

M: Thin, light, and watery in terms of the body, and quite fizzy on the tongue.

D: This is drinkable in the way that water is drinkable (because that's mostly what it tastes like). I gave it the rating I did for drinkability because while you can certainly consume a lot of them due to their rather neutral flavor, I just wouldn't want to. At this point in my beer drinking life, anyway.

10-23-2009 07:44:41 | More by womencantsail
MrStark

2.63/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pilsener glass.

Appearance is pale yellow gold with great clarity. A white foamy head that went away rather quickly leaving a little sticky lacing.

Smell is pretty basic. Just grains and a hint of hops.

Taste is a little more flavorful than most of the BMC beers that I've had but still nothing special. Some basic malts and grains but nothing special. The hops are certainly not present.

Mouthfeel is fairly carbonated and crisp. Light bodied.

Drinkability is great compared to the other adjuncts in my opinion. It goes down easy and is a good session beer if you had to choose one from this style. This was the first beer that I had ever had and I guess I kinda have a soft spot for it. But it doesn't compare to any of the craft beers I've had now, but something to turn to in a pinch.

10-17-2009 03:10:50 | More by MrStark
BeerSingh

India

2.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the 16 oz new style can bottle (Ordered at Bkini Beach Bar, Atlantic City) :

A: Pale yellow with a quickly dissipating head
S: Grain and feeble yeast
T: Grain water (no malt at all - so it is like
grains steeped in water)
M: Waterlike and very carbonated
D: What..?? OK !

10-13-2009 07:19:39 | More by BeerSingh
spartanfan

1.98/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Pours a bright yellow color with a wispy white head that quickly dissipates.

S: Not much going on here, smells of grains and weak hops. Not what I was expecting from the triple hops brewed beer that is Miller Lite.

T: Taste is of carbonation and grains.

M: The carbonation tickles the mouth in this one, and begins to burn when I chug it.

D: While not as good as Bud Light in this category Miller Light still has good drinkability, especially with the new freshness seal cans.

10-12-2009 00:26:39 | More by spartanfan
alleykatking

Indiana

2.58/5  rDev +20%

Poured from 12oz bottle

A- Pours a very clear and light yellow color. Some people have said it looks like urine. I think it almost looks like a lighter colored ginger ale. 2 finger cloudy white head dies rather quickly after a sem-hard pour. No real lacing on the sides of the glass which I didn't expect to be honest.

S- Smells of sweetness to it. Although I must say this does smell a little better than Bud Light which I am not a fan of at all. Just a musty bready smell to this and really I can't complain this has to be the best smelling out of the 3 lights.

T- There is a underlying sweetness to this entire beer which I don't know if I like or not. Sweet bready malts come through the forefront of this beer and it has a distinct tartness to it. Not a good tart but a bitter tart at the end which I do not care for one bit. Has a light czech pilsner aftertaste but it's hardly noticable.

M- Very light mouthfeel to this. Carbonation levels were insane in the highness. Very watery feel in the mouth and left a semi-pleasant overly sweet czech style pilsner aftertaste and taste in the palate.

D- This is a very drinkable beer along with the rest of the big three. I wouldn't want to start off with one to be honest but I could finish one if need be. There is not much taste to this one which could be why it is so popular with the everyday crowd. I would rather drink a terrible IPA or Stout though than one of these.

10-01-2009 05:15:52 | More by alleykatking
Flightoficarus

Washington

2.6/5  rDev +20.9%

Serving type - can/bottle (have tried both)

Appearance - A pale, straw color with some moderate foam retention.

Smell - Like a light beer, but with a bit more character to it.

Taste - I was a little surprised by this one. Generally not a fan of any Miller products, but this one seems to have the most flavor out of the BMC light beers.

Mouthfeel - Nothing too fancy. Light bodied, and fizzy.

Drinkability - Not something I can say I'd want a lot of, but I wouldn't turn one down if it was offered to me.

Overall - To me, this seems to be the best out of the three big light beers out there. It's no Pabst, but I'll take it over Bud light or Coors light.

09-23-2009 07:21:51 | More by Flightoficarus
rfgetz

2.13/5  rDev -0.9%

Had to have a Miller Light to compare to the other BMC lights ive recently been forced to drink.

A: actual golden amber color on this guy, which coors and bud cant say about their light beer

S: musty bready smell

T: white bread like malts, bitter lager like bite (must be the triple hops!)

M: like the others, watery and thin, but some hint of body stronger than the others.

D: ranks above bud and coors in the BMC light beer tasting. Just enough improvement in color, taste and body

09-21-2009 19:30:43 | More by rfgetz
TCgoalie

1.8/5  rDev -16.3%

Wow, what a watery beer. I have to admit, if they were going for minimalist art, this beer would be ranked much higher. I am having a hard time deciphering a flavor other than sugar, and I guess corn. I agree, triple hops brewed must mean 3 hop pellets for every batch. Aside from the kick I get with the fizzy bubbles, I think I'd rather have water.

09-17-2009 22:39:14 | More by TCgoalie
craftaholic

2.68/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance: Pours a light golden straw color with a dismal ring of a head and leaves behind just a light dusting of a lacing.

Smell: The nose is a faint aroma of grains and corn

Taste: Tastes of light corn, and rice with hints of grain basically a carbon copy of the nose with a very watered down feel to it. For a triple hopped brew i'm wondering if that means they dropped three hops in the giant fermentor.

Mouthfeel: Such a light bodied brew has a little bit of fiz as it dissapears without a trace.

Drinkability: As easy to drink as water but not recommended for hydration.

Overall: Hot summer days this light bodied brew is a good choice for an adjunct if on a tight budget.

09-17-2009 00:31:33 | More by craftaholic
chickencoop

2.33/5  rDev +8.4%

It would be hard to review this like any other micro or import for that matter, because it's like comparing boxed wine to something from Murphy Goode. Long story short is that Miller Lite is the best of all three of the mass-lights. Bigger taste if you can say that, better color, if more yellow is a color, and more drinkability because you actually feel like you have drank a beer after finishing one. My go-to tall boy can at a Raiders game.

09-13-2009 06:34:16 | More by chickencoop
BeerImmediately

3.63/5  rDev +68.8%

Not a bad Light Lager, and has been my go-to tailgater in the category for years.

Appearance is average, with 1F white bubbly head dropping to thinnest of film, over a very clear yellow body.

Bit of a musty/earthy smell, with a wee touch o' the 3 hop buds that were tossed into in this batch.

Some urinal cake (um, no, haven't actually partaken in one before) followed by white bread, rice, and water - not a bad prison beer.

Mouthfeel is consistently good - not too sharp, not too soft. Speculate that this is the primary reason why BAs usually lean to ML over BL or CL.

Solid on the drinkability meter... sorry Bud Light, but Miller Lite's flavor and mouthfeel crush you on this one. Good ads though.

09-12-2009 22:03:29 | More by BeerImmediately
MikeRa

2.73/5  rDev +27%

Here is what I can say about Miller Lite:

This is one of those beers that is mass produced for general comsuption. It has a very light golden color.

There is no smell to this beer, nor' is there no taste in this beer at all, which is due to it being produced for general comsuption. It looks exactly like Coors Light and Bud Light.

But if you want a beer for general comsuption, then go with this beer.

09-12-2009 15:37:12 | More by MikeRa
hargettf

2.65/5  rDev +23.3%

OK, I have got to give it to this beer. It has its place. Most people who look at reviews like this do not like this beer, or at least do not admit they like this beer. This beer is made for heavy consumption. You can drink it literally all day, such as a trip to the beach with your old college buddies. No reason to talk about the way it tastes, if you are reading this, you have had it. Just remember, you can say what you want, but I bet you will have it again. Not a bad beer. It could be Coors light, bud light, etc. It is the best of all those like it.

09-10-2009 20:43:27 | More by hargettf
BayouBengal1537

Louisiana

1.53/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured 12oz bottle into pint glass. Poured a clear pale straw color. 2 finger white head, stayed together for a good bit. Smell was watery and grainy, not good at all. Taste was water down, light grain, corn adjunct flavoring, cheap aftertaste. Very light mouthfeel with high carbonation, its a yellow fizzy beer. Drinkable for a light beer, but i won't buy any of this with my own money ever again...maybe if its given to me.

08-27-2009 19:43:11 | More by BayouBengal1537
Miller Lite from Miller Brewing Co.